• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Addnan

I have a 2500K and a PCIE 3.0 card but bought it anyway cause everyone told me PCIE doesn't matter for one second.

Yeah right now the performance impact between 2 and 3 is minimal to none. I'm sure sooner or later cards will get powerful enough to have a decent difference between 2 and 3. No idea when that will be though, that's why I said when!

Anybody know any good 1080p monitors that have IPS, need to get as my sisters old IPS monitor died recently she needs it for photo/video editing. Was look at this one, ideally looking for sub £200.

Also I need a 2TB hard drive, her old one is giving SMART issues and is slowing the whole system on start up (she has an SSD, with everything backed up btw).

Looking to spend £230/£240 for both, thanks Gaf.

riflen

I also came from a GTX 560 and upgraded to a 770 (ASUS DCU2 OC 2GB version on eBay for $300 USD), this was before the whole "WatchDogs 3GB of VRAM needed"

-in retrospect I should've probably been better off just getting a 770 4GB (As you've selected)
-yet the price of a 4GB 770 can reach to be almost $100 USD more expensive than a 2GB version (reaching close to or past $400 USD)
-so this puts the 770 2GB at a bad pricepoint for it's performance, the 4GB version the price becomes overkill since you can almost get a 780 closer to $400USD if you wait for a sale or buy a used one on eBay

-edit: the above deal for that 290 @ $300 is great for it's price, it can rival a GTX780 for the price of a cheap 770. IF you MUST go NVIDIA though for their software environment then go for the 770 (if you dont want to wait) and try to step up with EVGA to an 880 once that hits. Or wait around for a good deal on a used 780 on ebay)

The funny thing about Watch_Dogs now is that because of this insight into the contents of various files shipped with the game, MaLDo (of Crysis mods fame) has discovered that the game actually loads textures into memory twice if you're using the Ultra setting.

The game uses a very surreal texture implementation. For every texture, there is a basic texture with mipmaps and a higher resolution texture without mipmaps. Lower texture quality uses the medium mip of the regular texture as max. Medium texture quality uses the regular texture and high texture quality (called ultra ingame) uses regular texture BUT blend to higher texture for close ups. Close up distance depends of screen resolution. So it's a pixel/texel ratio in the end.

The problem is that I think gpu drivers are not optimized to load in memory every texture twice. They are optimized to mess with mipmaps to avoid shimmering and to save memory. Walking or driving in watch dogs implies you need to load a new big texture every time a material is near the camera. It's not the same that showing the big mip of the texture already loaded.

In one hand, using tweaks as always loading the big mip, can fix stuttering. But you will have shimmering here and there. I'm testing now with using ultra textures with or without mips as medium textures. So the game don't mess with double number of files, with good results.

Since this post, MaLDo's released a mod that allows you to play with Ultra textures on a GPU with 2GB VRAM without the stuttering that the retail build is afflicted with.

Addnan

The funny thing about Watch_Dogs now is that because of this insight into the contents of various files shipped with the game, MaLDo (of Crysis mods fame) has discovered that the game actually loads textures into memory twice if you're using the Ultra setting.

Since this post, MaLDo's released a mod that allows you to play with Ultra textures on a GPU with 2GB VRAM without the stuttering that the retail build is afflicted with.
Can you link this mod please, need to try it out.

Someone on GAF needs to get a job at nvidia. I Feel like everyday I come into this thread hoping to see something about the 800 series. We need an insider.

I just can't wait for an upgrade of my 580 => 880 => 880 sli.

Nvidia my money is waiting for you...

Any nvidia insiders should report to me at once. I'm desperate for info

kharma45

If I'm looking for qualify low-profile RAM, will this do the trick?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007TG8QRW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I *think* it's the same RAM as the other Vengeance products I've seen posted in the thread, only without the giant head spreaders. But I wanted to make sure before ordering.

Save yourself some money with one of these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009M0TCHQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

So err, first-time mistakes.. Installing cpu now- and I set down fan, but decided to pull it up and rotate it and set it down again not considering the thermal paste would already be sticking to the cpu and then set it down after that(in a different position).
Does this matter? Do I have to reapply the thermal paste? Haven't turned on the computer or anything. If it doesn't matter- Can I uninstall the fan and install it again?(the cpu fan cable isn't in the best position...)

mkenyon

Banned
http://techreport.com/news/26650/asus-enables-haswell-overclocking-on-non-z-series-motherboards

Intel is infamous for selectively disabling features to segment products based on the same silicon. Overclocking, for example, is limited to K-series processors and Z-series motherboards. Or it's supposed to be, anyway. ASRock and ECS circumvented that arbitrary limitation last year only to have Intel promise to resurrect it with a subsequent microcode update.

Now, Asus is having a kick at the can.

The mobo maker's latest round of firmware updates for H97, H87, B85, and H81 motherboards promises overclocking support for K-series Haswell chips, including the latest Devil's Canyon derivatives and the anniversary-edition Pentium. H97 boards are limited to CPU multiplier control, but the others appear to have access to the same frequency and multiplier options as equivalent Z97 offerings—at least for a limited time. The press release warns that Intel could nix the whole thing with "software and/or firmware updates" and that future Haswell chips may not work with the scheme.

Given those warnings, I wouldn't recommend relying on Asus' non-Z overclocking functionality. Z97 boards are a safer bet for enthusiasts looking to squeeze extra performance from their CPUs. That said, I'm sure some competitive overclockers will appreciate having cheaper options to pair with the anniversary-edition Pentium, whose $75 asking price is much lower than the going rate for Z97 boards. Those folks shouldn't mind living on the edge a little.

Update Asus tells us the H97 isn't the only chipset limited to CPU multiplier control; the H87, B85, and H81 have similar restrictions. Only the firm's Z-series mobos offer the full suite of overclocking controls.
So err, first-time mistakes.. Installing cpu now- and I set down fan, but decided to pull it up and rotate it and set it down again not considering the thermal paste would already be sticking to the cpu and then set it down after that(in a different position).
Does this matter? Do I have to reapply the thermal paste? Haven't turned on the computer or anything. If it doesn't matter- Can I uninstall the fan and install it again?(the cpu fan cable isn't in the best position...)
You should be fine.

Loris146

I have a question for you guys :) . I currently have an I5 3570 with stock heatsink , 8gb (2 x 4gb )high profile ram and Z77 Pro 4. Can i use the hyper 212 EVO heatsink without encounter any problems because of my high profile ram?

Smokey

So I am guessing the Radeon Sapphire Vapor X can't do PHYsx because it's from AMD right? So how will it fare against games like the New Batman or Hawken?

Fine. You'll just have to disable PhsyX. I dunno if you can even select the option if the game detects a non-Nvidia card?

So I am guessing the Radeon Sapphire Vapor X can't do PHYsx because it's from AMD right? So how will it fare against games like the New Batman or Hawken?

PhysX is a physics engine. It is basically a bundle of maths developers can use to implement things like collision detection and other things physics engines simulate like raycasts for AI or projectile trajectories or whatever else. It runs on the CPU, and is used in a lot of games. It doesn't care what GPU you use.

GPU PhysX effects are something else and DO care what GPU you use, because they only run on Nvidia GPUs; if you don't have an Nvidia GPU they will run on your CPU, very fucking slowly. These effects are sometimes cool like interactive smoke or cloth, sometimes they're shit like lots of sparkles or some other crap, and they're always just fancy addons not necessary to gameplay. They're basically graphical settings just for Nvidia cards. There are a handful of games where it's worth checking out.

kharma45

Really?? That bad?

Even B-stock : 350 for 770....430 for 780?

Also. I have a 2500k. PCI 2.0 vs. 3.0 shouldn't make much of a difference, right?

It's just poor value next to what you get from AMD. In isolation the card is fine, it's the price that kills it. It sits in a bad position. The 760 and 780 you can argue for, the 770 I couldn't.

As for PCIe 2 v 3, it'll make no difference here.

Tanwo

I need to buy a new computer, but I don't have much knowledge about PC building, so I asked a friend to make a build for me. He suggested the following:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4Ghz
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 650 Eco 2GB GDDR5
Motherboard: Asus Z87M-PLUS C2
RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator DDR3 2400 PC3-19200 8GB 2X4GB CL11
HDD: WD Green 2TB SATA3 64MB
Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper T4
PSU: B-Move 600W OEM
Case: Cooler Master K280 USB 3.0

Main uses would be general usage, video editing, and some gaming (but no need for highest settings). I will not overclock.
What do you think?

Thanks!

Stubo

I need to buy a new computer, but I don't have much knowledge about PC building, so I asked a friend to make a build for me. He suggested the following:

Main uses would be general usage, video editing, and some gaming (but no need for highest settings). I will not overclock.
What do you think?

Thanks!
What's your budget? Definitely a few parts I'd change in there!

This isn't a really PC hardware thing, but an accessory for it. I was thinking of getting Astro A40's + Mixamp http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004N7HSGU/?tag=neogaf0e-20 and was wondering if it's a good buy, or if there's something better for cheaper / around the same price

What are you intending to use this for? Console gaming? If you're on PC I'd probably suggest something more along these lines.

I have the Sennheiser PC360 and it's a really amazing headset.

I'm starting to think about upgrading my PC from 2010 for The Witcher, GTA 5, Watchdogs w/ mods. Right now, I'm rocking a 560ti 1GB, Phenom X6 1090T, 4GB RAM running on 1050p or 1080p depending on whether I'm using my monitor or my LCD. The AM3 socket is dead correct? I'm thinking my 560ti should be ok for a while, but I'm wondering what I should do about my CPU/Mobo/RAM. I have a PS4 so I'm debating if I should bother upgrading or just going PS4 for my multiplats. Any thoughts?

Enthus

I just bought my 1 TB 840 Evo last night on Amazon for $420, then this morning it's $400. At least Amazon offers the difference back if it changes within 7 days.

LordAlu

What do you think?

Thanks!
That needs some work... The 650 is mediocre, I have never seen that PSU before and no SSD but an i7... Z87 board but not overclocking. What's your budget?

Smokey

Huh, two Z's would be 4-way SLI, right? And singular Z's haven't benched that well, right?

So in real-world gaming terms, isn't it quite likely your 3 Black's will outperform that setup?

Yes to all. TRI SLI for 3k vs 6k Titan Z quad sli.

Stubo

xBladeM6x

If you have no plans to overclock, is it worth getting the i5 4590?

Looking to save money where I can

Looking to save money

save money

PC isn't the place for such talk. Lol But honestly, if you're going to spend $200, you might as well not cut corners, and just go with the i5-4760k since it's a gaming standard, and only $40 more.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116899&cm_re=4670k-_-19-116-899-_-Product

mkenyon

Banned
How quickly would I know if I have air bubbles or not? Would an out-of-the box test do any harm?
There shouldn't be any. Just load up Prime 95 or OCCT when the system is up and running.
This isn't a really PC hardware thing, but an accessory for it. I was thinking of getting Astro A40's + Mixamp http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004N7HSGU/?tag=neogaf0e-20 and was wondering if it's a good buy, or if there's something better for cheaper / around the same price
I like the suggestions in the OP (of course, I put most of them there), but otherwise check out that guide from Mad Lust Envy linked in the same section.
I'm starting to think about upgrading my PC from 2010 for The Witcher, GTA 5, Watchdogs w/ mods. Right now, I'm rocking a 560ti 1GB, Phenom X6 1090T, 4GB RAM running on 1050p or 1080p depending on whether I'm using my monitor or my LCD. The AM3 socket is dead correct? I'm thinking my 560ti should be ok for a while, but I'm wondering what I should do about my CPU/Mobo/RAM. I have a PS4 so I'm debating if I should bother upgrading or just going PS4 for my multiplats. Any thoughts?
Depends on what kind of experience you'd prefer, in regards to the PC vs. PS4.

What you should look at for the other stuff are the Z97/i5/i7 parts in the OP.
If you have no plans to overclock, is it worth getting the i5 4590?

Why not overclock? It's really helpful. Otherwise, yeah.
PC isn't the place for such talk. Lol But honestly, if you're going to spend $200, you might as well not cut corners, and just go with the i5-4760k since it's a gaming standard, and only $40 more.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116899&cm_re=4670k-_-19-116-899-_-Product
What I think is a better way to approach that is that saving money does not necessarily mean best value. The 4690K is a better value, because of the ability to overclock. But if it's above budget, then it's above budget. The locked i5s are still great, just not as great.

nerv

I've got a couple of quick questions:

Do the rumours of 28nm Maxwell change anything about getting a 290 now?
It doesn't look like the jump in performance will be very noticable to justify waiting until Q4.

Since I'll possibly get a dual GPU setup later down the road when 20nm is available and looks tempting enough I was going to get a 750w PSU for my single 290 right now. Is the Sea Sonic G-750 a decent alternative to the V750?
CM doesn't seem to sell the V750 in Europe and there's only the V700 (which is more expensive than the SS G-750) and V850.

mkenyon

Banned
I've got a couple of quick questions:

Do the rumours of 28nm Maxwell change anything about getting a 290 now?
It doesn't look like the jump in performance will be very noticable to justify waiting until Q4.

Since I'll possibly get a dual GPU setup later down the road when 20nm is available and looks tempting enough I was going to get a 750w PSU for my single 290 right now. Is the Sea Sonic G-750 a decent alternative to the V750?
CM doesn't seem to sell the V750 in Europe and there's only the V700 (which is more expensive than the SS G-750) and V850.
Yep. I wouldn't put anything more than a 200W TDP card in dual configuration on that though. 850 gives you a bit more breathing room, but if power consumption drops like it should with 20nm, you'll probably be fine with two of the newer equivalents of the 670/680/760/770.

Stubo

The EVGA Supernova G2 850w is an option in the UK at least, not sure about the prices in Europe. £92.12 if you're willing to wait a couple of weeks for Amazon.

Giggzy

The 4590 is only $160 at microcenter by my house, and with the motherboard deal I can walk out of there with the cpu and mobo for $200. Used the savings to buy an r9 290x. And the person I'm building it for is scared of overclocking, even after explaining how safe it is and that I'd do it for him.

mkenyon

Banned
The 4590 is only $160 at microcenter by my house, and with the motherboard deal I can walk out of there with the cpu and mobo for $200. Used the savings to buy an r9 290x. And the person I'm building it for is scared of overclocking, even after explaining how safe it is and that I'd do it for him.
Damn good deal. For someone that just doesn't want to be bothered with it, I understand for sure.

nerv

The EVGA Supernova G2 850w is an option in the UK at least, not sure about the prices in Europe. £92.12 if you're willing to wait a couple of weeks for Amazon.

Yeah, I just saw that one as well and will probably get it, thanks.
Availability isn't as great, but it's only 5 euros more expensive than the 750w Sea Sonic PSU.
Euro pricing is weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom