• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

knitoe

If anyone was interested in just how gigantic the Zotac Amp Omega cards are, here's a better picture to replace my terrible cell phone pic way earlier in the thread.

LuU0miA.jpg

I would turn the PSU so it is pulling fresh air from bottom of the case.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
The QNIX Evolution II can frequently be overclocked to 100-120Hz. There's some 144Hz 1440p AHVA Panels on the horizon, but won't be out for a bit.

But the QNIX is so cheap (given the budget range of what you're looking for), I'd really suggest picking one up just to try out.

Interesting. Looking this monitor up. Process to overclock is a bit strange, but for the price...might not be such a bad idea to spend the money to try it out. =x

bro1

Banned
Crawl back in your Madden hole scrub. :p

The QNIX Evolution II can frequently be overclocked to 100-120Hz. There's some 144Hz 1440p AHVA Panels on the horizon, but won't be out for a bit.

But the QNIX is so cheap (given the budget range of what you're looking for), I'd really suggest picking one up just to try out.

This makes me joyous.

I have one and it does 96hz easily. Great colors too!

SugarDave

How common is support for higher refresh rates in most games? I know that you can usually get it working even in unsupported games with a bit of tinkering but after checking out some random games on PC Gaming Wiki, it seems like quite a few of them can start to have issues if you raise the framerate cap.

I've heard the Eizo FG2421 monitor is very good and people here have recommended it to me before when I've asked about it, but after looking it up a bit more, I've heard it can be a bit of a panel lottery with these things and that some have bad crosshatching. Could anybody offer any firsthand impressions?

I really need to stop being so indecisive and just get ordering.

So - mixed around cables, that worked. one of the drives now opens / closes. I don't think it's reading though, because I'm constantly booted into UEFI BIOS, even with a win7 dvd in the DVD rom drive.

If I were you I would take your PSU down to your local computer shop and ask them (nicely) to test it for you.

Two questions: I have a fairly new 760 in my PC but now that the 970 is out, I'm itching to pick one up. Any idea where I can sell the 760 for a decent price? It came with my pre-built PC.

Secondly, whats a good method for cleaning out dust from inside your tower? I haven't built up any dust inside, but, I plan on taking care of this one better than I did to my previous computers.

mkenyon

Banned
144hz + single 970 doesn't sound too enjoyable.
Why?
I would turn the PSU so it is pulling fresh air from bottom of the case.
It doesn't matter in the least. It barely consumes any power. It doesn't need air from the bottom of the case when the air being provided to it isn't that much more hot compared to ambient.
How common is support for higher refresh rates in most games? I know that you can usually get it working even in unsupported games with a bit of tinkering but after checking out some random games on PC Gaming Wiki, it seems like quite a few of them can start to have issues if you raise the framerate cap.

I've heard the Eizo FG2421 monitor is very good and people here have recommended it to me before when I've asked about it, but after looking it up a bit more, I've heard it can be a bit of a panel lottery with these things and that some have bad crosshatching. Could anybody offer any firsthand impressions?

I really need to stop being so indecisive and just get ordering.
There's a BlurBusters Hall of Shame that has a good sized list of games that don't go above 60Hz.

There's a lot that require a slight ini edit to get things working properly, notably anything on the UE3 engine.

In terms of the FG2421 issues, it boils down to how sensitive you are to slight monitor defects. For people that view content specifically to expose defects, and then can't unsee them, it's an issue. If you're not one of those people, it's not an issue.
Two questions: I have a fairly new 760 in my PC but now that the 970 is out, I'm itching to pick one up. Any idea where I can sell the 760 for a decent price? It came with my pre-built PC.

Secondly, whats a good method for cleaning out dust from inside your tower? I haven't built up any dust inside, but, I plan on taking care of this one better than I did to my previous computers.
GAF B/S/T thread

Secure all of the fans, and then use compressed air to clean out the dust. Proper cable management will prevent dust buildup in the future too.

knitoe

Why?

It doesn't matter in the least. It barely consumes any power. It doesn't need air from the bottom of the case when the air being provided to it isn't that much more hot compare ambient.
It's sucking hot air from the bottom graphic card. And, while heavy PC loading, the air from the bottom of the case would be 20-30C cooler. It takes at most 5 min to turn the PSU around. Given the plus, I don't see why not.

SugarDave

There's a BlurBusters Hall of Shame that has a good sized list of games that don't go above 60Hz.

There's a lot that require a slight ini edit to get things working properly, notably anything on the UE3 engine.

In terms of the FG2421 issues, it boils down to how sensitive you are to slight monitor defects. For people that view content specifically to expose defects, and then can't unsee them, it's an issue. If you're not one of those people, it's not an issue.

Cheers for that link.

I should be good with the monitor then if I get it. I'm entirely new to this whole thing so I imagine I won't even notice defects unless I get a particularly bad one that would need to be replaced/fixed anyway.

mkenyon

Banned
It's sucking hot air from the bottom graphic card. And, while heavy PC loading, the air from the bottom of the case would be 20-30C cooler. It takes at most 5 min to turn the PSU around. Given the plus, I don't see why not.
knitoe, I think you're associating GPU temp with actual case temperatures. If you don't believe me, put a temperature sensor below your second GPU in your Air 540, put another one in front of the case. It's not a 20-30C difference.

There's been a number of tests regarding this, even looking at the PSU performance during load with it facing both ways. In every instance, there's literally no appreciable difference.

If you can find something that I haven't come across, I'd be more than happy to change my mind on this one.

Because you are not going to reach that refresh rate in newer games unless you switch to 60hz mode or tone down settings. But to each their own.

knitoe, I think you're associating GPU temp with actual case temperatures. If you don't believe me, put a temperature sensor below your second GPU in your Air 540, put another one in front of the case. It's not a 20-30C difference.

There's been a number of tests regarding this, even looking at the PSU performance during load with it facing both ways. In every instance, there's literally no appreciable difference.

If you can find something that I haven't come across, I'd be more than happy to change my mind on this one.

You know the case is designed with cooling at the bottom for a reason. Use it!

knitoe

My cards are blower types so it would be different. Even than, a close case air temps are going to be higher than the air outside, more so when the PC is under heavy load.

Yes, the PSU will perform relatively the same. They are generally designed to work even at 100C. And, testing the air coming out of the year PSU could be incorrect because the PSU fan will compensate base on load and temps, and thus, you could end up with the same temps coming out either way.

For me, it's simple cooler air => PSU is better, and thus, my recommendation.

bro1

Banned
Because you are not going to reach that refresh rate in newer games unless you switch to 60hz mode or tone down settings. But to each their own.

You know the case is designed with cooling at the bottom for a reason. Use it!
I think you are confusing refresh rate and frame rate.

mkenyon

Banned
Just because a new handful of games can't hit 8.3ms frame times consistently doesn't mean that 99.9% of other games can't.

In addition, you don't need to change the refresh rate on the monitor if you can't hit it.

Generally, the smoothness factor for me seems to wear off right around 9-10ms, and as long as the game pushes 99% of frames lower than that, I'm having a great experience. The illusion of motion at a high refresh rate with low frame tiems is well worth a bit of AA to me.

There's a number of games where that benefit wouldn't be seen as much, especially in a lot of RPGS and strategy games. But for action-oriented games, 120hz is too good.
are you disagreeing? you pretty much said the same thing on slaent yourself lol
Smokey thinks there's a place for super huge pretty IPS/VA panels and a place for high refresh rate panels. I don't, and tend to use hyperbole in my support of this. He's just callin a spade a spade :p

Godan

So this just started happening like half an hour ago.

I have a GTX 780 which is about 7 months old. About 2 months ago I started running 2 monitors off of it the 2nd monitor is like 19' and run at 1360 x 768 and the main monitor is at 1920 x 1080. Its as if it is started to heat up a lot but the temps on it don't seem to change from what i can see and when i was playing a game there my computer just switched it off. I turned it back on and after about 10 mins again it just restart.

Would this be maybe because I have dual monitors?

Edit: I am also using a dvi to vga and a hdmi to dvi connectors too id this may be the issue.

Honestly you may be out of luck with the 760. Nvidia basically turned the GPU market on it's side with the GTX 970 and even GTX 780's aren't selling. I've been selling my other GTX 780 for 300 then 290 and it's sitting at 260 now. That's almost half of what I paid for it.

Best places? I sell on Amazon anymore more, less headaches and they take less fees from you compared to Ebay. You can also try in the trade thread here or on Hardocp.com as well.

As for cleaning dust, while canned air is good I would say invest in a good but small air compressor. When you need to clean your PC, take it outside and turn that baby on.

I have a GTX 780 which is about 7 months old. About 2 months ago I started running 2 monitors off of it the 2nd monitor is like 19' and run at 1360 x 768 and the main monitor is at 1920 x 1080. Its as if it is started to heat up a lot but the temps on it don't seem to change from what i can see and when i was playing a game there my computer just switched it off. I turned it back on and after about 10 mins again it just restart.

Edit: I am also using a dvi to vga and a hdmi to dvi connectors too id this may be the issue.

No I doubt it's the two monitors. What's your airflow like in your case, is your PC under a desk with no air flow restriction and when is last time you cleaned your PC / GPU? It may be come dust infected and dust leads to overheating. Try and blow it out first.

Bollocks

ah fuck made a noob mistake:
I put the radiator pin on cpufan2 and somehow my radiator remained turned off.
as a result my cpu would start at 60C and would crawl up to 90C
I then switched and put the radiotor pin on cpufan1 and now it can drive the radiator and it's idling at 33C but boy is my new rig loud.
It makes idle the same noise as my old pc when I rendered a movie.
Hope once I install windows I can sort this out.

ekgrey

edit: hahaha, from this person! ^

okay. so i managed to buy an 970 Strix thanks to an awesome GAFer. however...i don't know if it will fit in my Air 240. which is irritating. can anyone give me an answer to this? PCPartPicker says i'm fine, but i read elsewhere that i may not be.

if it doesn't fit, i'm just going to buy another case. as much as i love this one, this isn't the first issue i've had with it and i'd rather not have to worry anymore.
so: any mATX cases that WILL fit the Strix? was thinking about the Aerocool DS from a few pages back but i have no idea if that'd be big enough either. same with the BitFenix Phenom M. might just have to go full ATX despite having an mATX board.

my preference is white and it must ship from Amazon.

please, suggestions!

ah fuck made a noob mistake:
I put the radiator pin on cpufan2 and somehow my radiator remained turned off.
as a result my cpu would start at 60C and would crawl up to 90C
I then switched and put the radiotor pin on cpufan1 and now it can drive the radiator and it's idling at 33C but boy is my new rig loud.
It makes idle the same noise as my old pc when I rendered a movie.
Hope once I install windows I can sort this out.

GPU fans often run 100% before Windows loads.

Calabi

It could be. I dont know if they've changed this or fixed this but my nvidia card used to run hotter if I used two monitors with different resolutions. Something about the card has to work harder to render two different resolutions. I dont think it is fixable, I've now got two monitors at the same res, temps are fine.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Hmmm, the Acer XB280HK (4k GSync) is in stock on Newegg atm. So tempting...

Edit: Bah, who am I kidding? I need to pick up another video card first before I think about 4K lol

Godan

Honestly you may be out of luck with the 760. Nvidia basically turned the GPU market on it's side with the GTX 970 and even GTX 780's aren't selling. I've been selling my other GTX 780 for 300 then 290 and it's sitting at 260 now. That's almost half of what I paid for it.

Best places? I sell on Amazon anymore more, less headaches and they take less fees from you compared to Ebay. You can also try in the trade thread here or on Hardocp.com as well.

As for cleaning dust, while canned air is good I would say invest in a good but small air compressor. When you need to clean your PC, take it outside and turn that baby on.

No I doubt it's the two monitors. What's your airflow like in your case, is your PC under a desk with no air flow restriction and when is last time you cleaned your PC / GPU? It may be come dust infected and dust leads to overheating. Try and blow it out first.

Airflow is fine use a corsair 540 case so that has good airflow. My PC under my desk but the temps I get are about 60C - 65C which i think are fine.

Cleaned it out about 3 weeks ago normally do that about once a month.

How do people get a second monitor that matches perfectly to their main monitor? I would be interested in having one. I assume that I need to find a monitor that is the same height as my current one. Is there a filter on a website or a way to convert the height into a screen display in inches? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ekgrey

Same here. 16:9 feels claustrophobic.

Same here. But I love 16:10 and I don't plan to give it up any time soon.

Truth. I really have a hard time when I think about replacing my 30" someday, when I'll probably have to get a 16:9 monitor.

Only games I had an issue with on my 16:10 Dell monitor was Assassin's Creed running in letterbox.

been using 16:10 for years, only time ive had a problem with a game not natively supporting 1920x1200 were really old games, and in that case they typically don't natively support 1080p either, but there are usually tweaks for those games to make them run in whatever resolution you want to

I prefer 16:10 myself, unfortunately the industry is going away from it tho so I think my next monitor is going to be a 27" 16:9, possibly the ROG Swift

hahaha, thanks all. went ahead and ordered the Dell UltraSharp U2412M. hype!

if i ever actually get to see a 144Hz panel in person, i may end up with a second monitor eventually...but for now, i'm happy with my decision.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
How do people get a second monitor that matches perfectly to their main monitor? I would be interested in having one. I assume that I need to find a monitor that is the same height as my current one. Is there a filter on a website or a way to convert the height into a screen display in inches? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Buy the same one? lol. No, honestly, I'm annoyed at how different the screen looks on my laptop vs. my external.

But, looking at the newegg filters, it looks like most, or 50% of the monitors have adjustable stands for height.

ekgrey

please don't be a jerk here. this is supposed to be a place where people can ask any questions they need to and get good advice without being made to feel foolish.

144hz + single 970 doesn't sound too enjoyable.

please don't be an elitist here, either. i'm happy you are enjoying your SLI G-Sync set-up, that's awesome, but that isn't practical for everyone and is far from necessary for a nice experience.

hahaha, thanks all. went ahead and ordered the Dell UltraSharp U2412M. hype!

if i ever actually get to see a 144Hz panel in person, i may end up with a second monitor eventually...but for now, i'm happy with my decision.

I use 2 of those for my PC... Absolutely love them. You're in for a treat.

Okey dokey, I am finally planning to pull the trigger on the above. I've never built a PC before, so I will probably be coming back to this thread for help or to troubleshoot. I should mention that I'm trying to keep the budget a little more reined in than I said above: keeping it around the $1,700 range would be nice. Here's my PC Parts Picker link:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WFdtNG

Does everything look alright? any incompatibilities? Suggestions? Thanks again!
Other than maybe getting a slightly beefier PSU if you have any plans to go multi monitor/SLI in the future. Other than that looks like a great setup. I do not know anything about computer monitors though.

I have the R4 and it is an all around great case.

Thanks for the help! Gonna go ahead and start ordering tomorrow if no one else chimes in.

Thanks for the help! Gonna go ahead and start ordering tomorrow if no one else chimes in.

One suggestion and it's minor. Save a few bucks and head over to the Reddit Software swap and get a copy of Windows 8.1 Pro or Windows 8.1 Pro N for cheap.

I get my stuff from this guy and it's 100% legit.

Windows 8.1 N is the same as the normal version but with the media stuff removed due to a lawsuit that MS lost. However they have a update you can download to patch it back up and you spend way less on it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2929699

Jebusman

Banned
One suggestion and it's minor. Save a few bucks and head over to the Reddit Software swap and get a copy of Windows 8.1 Pro or Windows 8.1 Pro N for cheap.

I get my stuff from this guy and it's 100% legit.

Windows 8.1 N is the same as the normal version but with the media stuff removed due to a lawsuit that MS lost. However they have a update you can download to patch it back up and you spend way less on it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2929699

I thought they got shut down on this before. They're still allowing them?

I know you've already got the 970 but depending on the manufacturer you might still have a warranty on the 560 Ti. You could possibly RMA it, get a replacement and sell it.

Your CPU is still fine, and won't hold you back in most games if you overclock it. You'd be aiming for ~4GHz with that generation of i5. Well worth doing. Grab a Hyper 212 (Evo or Plus, whichever is cheaper) and get to work.

Lol, sorry for the late reply. As it turned out, the shop didn't hold on to the 970 I asked them to hold for me and sold it to the next guy who offered to pay a little more than our agreed price. And since the 970 are still understocked everywhere and I really needed a new card for my rig, I got a Zotac 760 AMP and then used the extra for a nifty new case and a new drive.

Oh well, I'll just upgrade again next year.

As for RMAing the old 560 Ti, I'm afraid that's not an option for me. Inno3D doesn't have a plant in my country and sending the card to them via courier would cost way too much for the bother.

ekgrey

can anyone tell me/tell me how to figure out whether i can fit an ASUS Strix 970 in any of the following:

• Corsair Carbide Air 240
  • BitFenix Phenom M
  • AeroCool DS-Cube

if no, i assume i'm okay with an NZXT H440, right? i mean, that fucker is huge.

sorry for the impatience, y'all. and thanks for any insight. i'm just not sure which measurements to be looking at to figure this out. the card isn't that long, but it's crazy tall.

can anyone tell me/tell me how to figure out whether i can fit an ASUS Strix 970 in any of the following:

• Corsair Carbide Air 240
  • BitFenix Phenom M
  • AeroCool DS-Cube

if no, i assume i'm okay with an NZXT H440, right? i mean, that fucker is huge.

sorry for the impatience, y'all. and thanks for any insight. i'm just not sure which measurements to be looking at to figure this out. the card isn't that long, but it's crazy tall.

Sure, you just look at the length of the GPU and then the max GPU allowed in those cases. You also want to account for some wiggle room.

ASUS Strix 970 11.02" (280mm)
BitFenix Phenom M - Maximum GPU Length 320mm (HDD Cage Removal May Be Required)
AeroCool DS-Cube - 320mm wihith the ODD cage removed
Corsair Carbide Air 240 - Maximum GPU Length: 290 millimeter

ekgrey

awesome, thanks a bunch. where did you find those figures though? it's actually height i'm most worried about in this
case
instance. seems the cooler on the Strix is abnormally tall?

I'm thinking about switching back to pc from mac. Are there any good all in one pc's that are decent for gaming under 2grand?

Ryan, for your own good, no man. Just no. All in ones are never a good idea and you sacrifice a lot for the small / all-in-one form factor.Not trying to be elitist here, just trying to save you some cash and some head ache.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom