• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a shame that BF4 was so fucked up for so long because there are few games that look as good and run as well in such a large scale multiplayer game. I'm interested to see how Dragon Age Inquisition turns out on the Frostbite engine because it potentially a great engine for the PC platform. It's also a shame that it's limited to EA studios.

ryan299

Ryan, for your own good, no man. Just no. All in ones are never a good idea and you sacrifice a lot for the small / all-in-one form factor.Not trying to be elitist here, just trying to save you some cash and some head ache.

I don't play that many games just like the form factor of AIO.

I was looking at the Alienware x51's. My friend had one and liked it. What do you think about those?

samar11

Guys
My specs
CPU: Intel 6 Core i7-5930K 3.5Ghz
GPU: Gigatybe G1 Gaming 970 4G
MB:X99 Xtreme
RAM: 16GIG DDR4 2133

I am averaging about 45-50fps on metro redux on ultra settings and 1080p with vsync off. IS that good??

Sorry If I am asking all these questions, I spent a lot of money on this pc and I am just worried a little bit.

I would like to also add that I have tessellation on and SSA is on 2x

Smokey

I would like to reiterate that this guy:

15535358841_6293aa95e6_c.jpg

is truly amazing. Best keyboard I have ever used. Took me some time to get used to no lettering, but now it's not a problem at all. I'd encourage anyone who is looking for a very nice keyboard to look into Das. Very impressed with mine.

Yeah, I'm thinking of upgrading to the new model. Have a model S from a few years back and it just feels brilliant to type on, and the design is simple and pleasant to look at.

MoonGred

is truly amazing. Best keyboard I have ever used. Took me some time to get used to no lettering, but now it's not a problem at all. I'd encourage anyone who is looking for a very nice keyboard to look into Das. Very impressed with mine.

You took the plunge I that I'm too scared to make. The biggest concern about this wouldn't be letter positioning, but more the location of punctuation marks and symbols.
edit: Am I seeing a different texture of the "f" and "j" key?

That said it looks so good!

Seanspeed

Banned
It's a shame that BF4 was so fucked up for so long because there are few games that look as good and run as well in such a large scale multiplayer game. I'm interested to see how Dragon Age Inquisition turns out on the Frostbite engine because it potentially a great engine for the PC platform. It's also a shame that it's limited to EA studios.
BF4 is definitely an amazing looking game still. Its also a bit strange that it runs so well on PC, but required lowering resolutions on both consoles.

Guys
My specs
CPU: Intel 6 Core i7-5930K 3.5Ghz
GPU: Gigatybe G1 Gaming 970 4G
MB:X99 Xtreme
RAM: 16GIG DDR4 2133

I am averaging about 45-50fps on metro redux on ultra settings and 1080p with vsync off. IS that good??

Sorry If I am asking all these questions, I spent a lot of money on this pc and I am just worried a little bit.

I would like to also add that I have tessellation on and SSA is on 2x
Yea that looks about right. Keep in mind 2xSSAA is like running the game at 1440p or so. The game never ran that great, either. Don't think its representative of what your rig can do.

I want one, but not with blank keys, shit. Switching to a UK keyboard a year ago I still haven't memorized the button layout, especially the secondary functions.

Kvik

I want one, but not with blank keys, shit. Switching to a UK keyboard a year ago I still haven't memorized the button layout, especially the secondary functions.

I think the Das Pro has keylabels, as far as I know that's the only thing different between it and the Ultimate.

I want one too, probably will keep a cheat sheet stickied on my monitor for the first few days :-\

confuziz

Banned
Hello. Need some help for my brother. He is going to buy a new PC and has a budget of around €900.

Here is the info:

• Your Current Specs: None
• Budget: €850-€900, already have a monitor, mouse, keyboard and speaker.
• Main Use: Gaming (Mid-End)
• Monitor Resolution: Full HD resolutions
• List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: None specific, just want to play most recent games on high settings (not ultra or anything)
• Looking to reuse any parts?: No
• When will you build?: November 2014
• Will you be overclocking?: No

I found the following list but I’m not sure if these are smart picks:
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming
Videocard: Radeon R9 280x
Processor: AMD fx 9370m
Memory: 8gb 2x 4gb corsair
Power: Pure Power BQT L8-CM-530W
HDD: Seagate 1TB HDD
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 500R

Any suggestions? How good is AMD these days (looking at processor)?

Addnan

Hello. Need some help for my brother. He is going to buy a new PC and has a budget of around €900.

Here is the info:

• Your Current Specs: None
• Budget: €850-€900, already have a monitor, mouse, keyboard and speaker.
• Main Use: Gaming (Mid-End)
• Monitor Resolution: Full HD resolutions
• List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: None specific, just want to play most recent games on high settings (not ultra or anything)
• Looking to reuse any parts?: No
• When will you build?: November 2014
• Will you be overclocking?: No

I found the following list but I’m not sure if these are smart picks:
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming
Videocard: Radeon R9 280x
Processor: AMD fx 9370m
Memory: 8gb 2x 4gb corsair
Power: Pure Power BQT L8-CM-530W
HDD: Seagate 1TB HDD
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 500R

Any suggestions? How good is AMD these days (looking at processor)?
Terrible. You want to go Intel.

Take a look at the OP for part recommendations. The motherboard and CPU you have selected are not compatible, Intel motherboard with an AMD CPU. You want both Intel. You just want Z97, 4690K, 760/280X/970. Whichever fits the budget.

confuziz

Banned
Terrible. You want to go Intel.

Take a look at the OP for part recommendations. The motherboard and CPU you have selected are not compatible, Intel motherboard with an AMD CPU. You want both Intel. You just want Z97, 4690K, 760/280X/970. Whichever fits the budget.

Oh, silly brother of mine. I'll check out the OP ;).

Is SSD a must the days (just for gaming?)

Addnan

Oh, silly brother of mine. I'll check out the OP ;).

Is SSD a must the days (just for gaming?)

Not for gaming but it will make the experience of just using the computer so much quicker. Everything is just snappier, boot time is 10-15 seconds. It will make loading quicker in games, but I don't really run games from SSD.

confuziz

Banned
Not for gaming but it will make the experience of just using the computer so much quicker. Everything is just snappier, boot time is 10-15 seconds. It will make loading quicker in games, but I don't really run games from SSD.

Okay and what about the difference between midtowers and high/fulltowers? Does everything fit in a midtower?

kharma45

Lol, sorry for the late reply. As it turned out, the shop didn't hold on to the 970 I asked them to hold for me and sold it to the next guy who offered to pay a little more than our agreed price. And since the 970 are still understocked everywhere and I really needed a new card for my rig, I got a Zotac 760 AMP and then used the extra for a nifty new case and a new drive.

Oh well, I'll just upgrade again next year.

As for RMAing the old 560 Ti, I'm afraid that's not an option for me. Inno3D doesn't have a plant in my country and sending the card to them via courier would cost way too much for the bother.

760 is still a nice card. Sell your old 560 Ti for spares or repairs, someone might want it.

I still highly recommend OCing your CPU too.

Okay and what about the difference between midtowers and high/fulltowers? Does everything fit in a midtower?

Easily.

Even mATX is plenty big when going single GPU.

Jimrpg

Hey all, I want to get the ASUS Z97-A motherboard but I ran into this article. I have no idea what it's talking about in terms of SSDs tho and need some advice. Is it going to run majority of SSDs on the market or not?

Below the CPU socket, there’s an M.2 connector with support for drives with a width of 22 mm and a length of 60 or 80 mm. It is disabled by default because it shares PCIe lanes with the two PCIe 2.0 x1 expansion slots. So, owners of the Z97-A don’t have to wait for SATA Express SSDs to come out. They can use M.2 drives which are already available. You can get more information about these new connectors and compatible SSDs from our Plextor M6e PCIe drive review.

The problem is that the specification describes an M.2 slot as having four PCIe lanes and one SATA port. However, Intel chipsets don't have enough of free PCIe lanes, so the SATA Express and M.2 connectors have only two rather than four PCIe lanes. Moreover, the ASUS Z97-A isn’t a flagship model and has no additional controllers. Four of the chipset's SATA ports are implemented as SATA connectors on it. Two more ports are in the SATA Express connector. So the M.2 connector ends up with no SATA interface at all. If you look into the mainboard’s specs, you can find out that its M.2 connector only supports PCI Express drives. It turns out that the Z97-A is only compatible with such rare SSDs as the Plextor M6e in M.2 form-factor but cannot work with the majority of existing SATA-based M.2 drives.

LilJoka

You need a full case to have an ATX case right? And you need an ATX case to run more than one graphics card.

Kind of, some mid towers are ATX too.

ATX is a form factor or size definition. If you want an ATX Motherboard then you need an ATX case to fit it in. It can be a smaller sized ATX case or humungous sized ATX case, thats where the term mid tower/full tower comes from. Usually the full tower will allow a lot of HD bays and general roominess.

Why would anyone buy a full/hightower these days then?

Why you want an ATX board nowadays is a good question. Most people go ATX because of lack of experience, by going ATX they feel all the doors for expansion are open so gives them the most future proofing. Thats what most new builders do, as they dont fully understand what is needed from a motherboard.

ATX is really only needed if you want to do some fancy watercooling with multiple GPUs an radiators. Or need ridiculous amounts of hard disks/DVD drives. Or extreme overclocking for world records etc.

mATX can be used with the right case for a dual GPU config.

And most people should be going ITX with single GPU solutions, but still the experience thing plays a big factor. People are afraid to do some cable management in tight spaces or get creative with zip ties/velcro.

Also people are afraid that their parts may not physically fit inside certain cases.

Its 90% down to experience why people choose to go ATX with an ATX case. And people with even less experience go the mATX in an ATX chassis route for fear of air flow etc.

The Llama

I have one, I like it. Easier to build, easier to do cable management, easier to see the parts inside (which looks cool to me), keeps my parts nice and cold because of good airflow. Lots of positives to it.

Jimrpg

Mid tower

Kind of, some mid towers are ATX too.

ATX is a form factor or size definition. If you want an ATX Motherboard then you need an ATX case to fit it in. It can be a smaller sized ATX case or humungous sized ATX case, thats where the term mid tower/full tower comes from. Usually the full tower will allow a lot of HD bays and general roominess.

Why you want an ATX board nowadays is a good question. Most people go ATX because of lack of experience, by going ATX they feel all the doors for expansion are open so gives them the most future proofing. Thats what most new builders do, as they dont fully understand what is needed from a motherboard.

ATX is really only needed if you want to do some fancy watercooling with multiple GPUs an radiators. Or need ridiculous amounts of hard disks/DVD drives. Or extreme overclocking for world records etc.

mATX can be used with the right case for a dual GPU config.

And most people should be going ITX with single GPU solutions, but still the experience thing plays a big factor. People are afraid to do some cable management in tight spaces or get creative with zip ties/velcro.

Also people are afraid that their parts may not physically fit inside certain cases.

Its 90% down to experience why people choose to go ATX with an ATX case. And people with even less experience go the mATX in an ATX chassis route for fear of air flow etc.

Ah thanks for your replies.

I've been looking at a lot of price lists and most of the cases are described as ATX or mATX and not midi and full tower anymore. So just my assumption.

This kind of throws my build out the window... Sort of, because I was going ATX so I could leave myself the room to go multiple GPU (GTX970) later... That would mean an extra $50 on the motherboard I don't have to spend if I can go mATX. I guess this means more research on the mATX motherboard tho I initially had in mind z97-m but I don't think that does SLI.

Corsair HX520 is buckling under GTX 970 full load it seems (more details here post #5976 and later).

I need a new PSU for this build. Something that will be VERY stable and future proof (5+ years). Dual GTX 970 at some point, maybe even some heavy CPU & GPU OC if I ever go on high resolutions and/or 144Hz, etc.

ASUS Z87-PRO
Intel Core i5-4670K
Noctua NH-D14
2x4GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3, 1600MHz
Gigabyte GV-N970-G1 GAMING-4GD
Corsair HX520
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD, MZ-7PD256BW
Western Digital WD10EZEX, 1TB SATA-III
ASUS DRW-24F1ST/BLK/B/AS
Antec P183

Is Coolermaster V850 the best choice in the 750-850W range?

appaws

Banned

Beats me. Maybe to do some fancy full loop water cooling? They're very niche cases now.

My next case will probably be a full tower. I like the extra room for when I have to tinker.

I have one, I like it. Easier to build, easier to do cable management, easier to see the parts inside (which looks cool to me), keeps my parts nice and cold because of good airflow. Lots of positives to it.

I have giant hands......... I like to have room in there :)

Also multi-gpu setups love space. :)

I think PC "enthusiasts" are clearly more likely to want a big case, leaving room for water, etc.... People who, like me, sometimes care more about tinkering with hardware than actually just using the PC.

I would say that people who are most interested in gaming and general use, and not becoming PC hobbyists in general, should probably be encouraged more to make the switch to smaller form factor machines. You don't have to sacrifice anything to do so these days.

Maybe the basic default mid-high end build we suggest to people here should be a mATX build in a Node804 or an Air 240 instead of the R4/UD3H sort of combo....??? I would be proud to rock the following:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PFvCMp
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PFvCMp/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($96.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card ($355.66 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1257.59
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-18 10:35 EDT-0400

kharma45

Corsair HX520 is buckling under GTX 970 full load it seems (more details here post #5976 and later).

I need a new PSU for this build. Something that will be VERY stable and future proof (5+ years). Dual GTX 970 at some point, maybe even some heavy CPU & GPU OC if I ever go on high resolutions and/or 144Hz, etc.

ASUS Z87-PRO
Intel Core i5-4670K
Noctua NH-D14
2x4GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3, 1600MHz
Gigabyte GV-N970-G1 GAMING-4GD
Corsair HX520
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD, MZ-7PD256BW
Western Digital WD10EZEX, 1TB SATA-III
ASUS DRW-24F1ST/BLK/B/AS
Antec P183

Is Coolermaster V850 the best choice in the 750-850W range?

Depends on what the price is. What's your budget?

Ordered a processor from a website. Description said retail packaging. Site didn't look shady at all. But when my processor arrived the factory seal was broken. Seems it left the retailer this way as packaging wasn't damaged. My concern is that the warranty won't be valid. I've tried using Intel's warranty checker and I get the following result:

FPO Number : #########
ATPO Number : ###

The product number(s) you entered cannot be located in our records. Please try again or contact us.

I've contacted the retailer for explanation, I'm not overly fussy on stuff like this because I did make a slight saving. Any advice? (intel's live chat is currently at maximum capacity)

Ordered a processor from a website. Description said retail packaging. Site didn't look shady at all. But when my processor arrived the factory seal was broken. Seems it left the retailer this way as packaging wasn't damaged. My concern is that the warranty won't be valid. I've tried using Intel's warranty checker and I get the following result:

FPO Number : #########
ATPO Number : ###

The product number(s) you entered cannot be located in our records. Please try again or contact us.

I've contacted the retailer for explanation, I'm not overly fussy on stuff like this because I did make a slight saving. Any advice?
What site? You could try calling up Intel and see what they say.

I'll try and contact Intel soon, I don't want to drop the retailer in shit if the warranty is valid but if it's invalid I have no problem naming and shaming them and asking for a refund.

edit. Mailed intel for confirmation. Live chat seems to be dead and no telephone support until Monday.

Dazzyman

Firstly thanks for all the help.

I've just bought a base complete build from Overclockers who were very friendly.

Bought this one

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-067-OG

I've SLI'd it added a wireless networks, soundblaster z card, 32gig ram, bluray RW, windows 8.1, 7.1 gaming headset, 3tb hdd as extras. Got a full tower case and blinged it with LED.

Paid to get it on Wednesday.

So exited as its about 7yrs min since my last upgrade and now I can go back to über PC gaming again. Feels like I've come home. I love my consoles don't get me wrong but I've missed my strategy and all the racing sims.

Thanks again for the help in the last few months on PMs helping me relearn what's what with my stupid MS disability.

Regards
Dazzy x

Firstly thanks for all the help.

I've just bought a base complete build from Overclockers who were very friendly.

Bought this one

I've SLI'd it added a wireless networks, soundblaster z card, 32gig ram, bluray RW, windows 8.1, 7.1 gaming headset, 3tb hdd as extras. Got a full tower case and blinged it with LED.

Paid to get it on Wednesday.

So exited as its about 7yrs min since my last upgrade and now I can go back to über PC gaming again. Feels like I've come home. I love my consoles don't get me wrong but I've missed my strategy and all the racing sims.

Thanks again for the help in the last few months on PMs helping me relearn what's what with my stupid MS disability.

Regards
Dazzy x
Congrats, that's gonna last you a long time.

Duress

So I have a gtx 460 with 1gig vram, and an intel 2500k processor over clocked. Should I be upgrading my graphics card, and/or processor any time soon? Things seem to run alright as is.

kharma45

So I have a gtx 460 with 1gig vram, and an intel 2500k processor over clocked. Should I be upgrading my graphics card, and/or processor any time soon? Things seem to run alright as is.

GPU is what I'd to look at. What to go for depends on your budget.

ekgrey

I've SLI'd it added a wireless networks, soundblaster z card, 32gig ram, bluray RW, windows 8.1, 7.1 gaming headset, 3tb hdd

damn, very nice. enjoy!

I'll try and contact Intel soon, I don't want to drop the retailer in shit if the warranty is valid but if it's invalid I have no problem naming and shaming them and asking for a refund.

edit. Mailed intel for confirmation. Live chat seems to be dead and no telephone support until Monday.

please do keep us informed either way. regardless of if the warranty is valid, no retailer should be selling opened items as new and this thread should be a source for info on legit shops.

ekgrey

I think PC "enthusiasts" are clearly more likely to want a big case, leaving room for water, etc.... People who, like me, sometimes care more about tinkering with hardware than actually just using the PC.

I would say that people who are most interested in gaming and general use, and not becoming PC hobbyists in general, should probably be encouraged more to make the switch to smaller form factor machines. You don't have to sacrifice anything to do so these days.

Maybe the basic default mid-high end build we suggest to people here should be a mATX build in a Node804 or an Air 240 instead of the R4/UD3H sort of combo....??? I would be proud to rock the following:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PFvCMp
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PFvCMp/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($96.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card ($355.66 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1257.59
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-18 10:35 EDT-0400

i think this makes a lot of sense. with so many (think Haz, mkenyon and LilJoka all?) saying that they believe mATX should be standard, i've wondered why that wasn't the default recommended config. when i built i went mATX with the Air 240 and if i hadn't decided since that tinkering is hella fun, i'd be entirely satisfied with that. as is though, i think i may end up with a hobby apart from just gaming...

edit: shit, sorry, i've been really bad about double posts recently.

garath

Whoops. Got a hard crash while playing cs:go with my new 970 :(

Going to back off my OC a bit and see how that goes. Had it up to +155 core. It was a 1500 boost clock. Temps were fine so its a little mysterious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom