• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoRéN

So I'm getting stuttering (framerate drops from 60 to 57, 58) all the time on frigging Rayman Origins on a 4670k+280X. It ran perfect on my old C2D with a ATI 4670. Why the shit could this be happening? :/

You using keyboard and mouse?

Hey PC-GAF, I was wondering if I could get some advice/feedback for my current overclock.

Right now I have my 3570k running at 4.2 GHz. It's completely stable as far as I can tell; I've never had the machine crash on me. So I have two questions:
(Columns are Current, Min, and Max)
hsGZsJ0.png

Do these temps and this voltage seem alright? Do you think I could back off of the voltage a little bit?

And also, is there a way to get the CPU to throttle down, but still deliver the full 4.2 GHz steady whenever I'm running a game or some other CPU-intensive task? I mainly ask because I'd like my fan to quiet down a little bit when I'm doing more casual tasks. It's not really loud or anything, but I'd like to get the computer as close to silent as I can when possible. Thanks.

mkenyon

Banned
The voltage you want to be looking at is VCore. VID is something else that you can feel free to ignore.

The temps are super low, looking great.

To enable throttling, just enable Intel Speed Stepping in BIOS.

snack

Do I need a really good video card if I want to be able to watch 4K shows on my computer? Or is that all solely on the monitor I buy?

scogoth

Expensive and as far as I know the only place that has 4K content is netflix which streams it using h.265 and only to a select few 4k TVs

mkenyon

Banned
Would you say it is worth it to go to 4k gaming right now? Or is it better waiting a couple years when the 4k monitor prices die down a little?
If you have the funds, sure. Plan on $1000ish for video cards at the least.
4K is a complete waste of money right now.
Hey now, it's not that expensive for a lot of people. Vitriol like that is best left for other threads.

PIRL0

Neo Member
i am considering building a pc when Maxwell gpus come out... i am new to this so i dont know how much money is enough for a strong pc capable of 1080p60fps for the next 5 years.. the budget i have is between 2300$ and 2600$... how good of a pc can this money get me ?

Tablo

Is there a reason why my cousin's new computer on W8.1 doesn't show icons and stuff on bootup sometimes? He just told me he had to reboot like 4 times to get them to show up. Odd.

kennah

i am considering building a pc when Maxwell gpus come out... i am new to this so i dont know how much money is enough for a strong pc capable of 1080p60fps for the next 5 years.. the budget i have is between 2300$ and 2600$... how good of a pc can this money get me ?

Anything you want. You can make an amazing single gpu ITX box with that kind of money that'll play anything you throw at it for years.

(Spend 1800 and save 700 for gpu upgrade in two years)

mkenyon

Banned
Generally the only good way to "futureproof" is to not overspend, and to build a foundation that is easy to swap in a new GPU a few years down the line. The $1000 build in the OP with a 4790K is pretty much what you're looking for.

jett

D-Member
If you have the funds, sure. Plan on $1000ish for video cards at the least.

Hey now, it's not that expensive for a lot of people. Vitriol like that is best left for other threads.

Huh, I didn't know that could be considered vitriol. I stand by what I said, it's not a worthwhile purchase. On the gaming side, I'd wager you need a monstrous rig to run new and upcoming "next-gen" games at 4k@30fps+.On the movies side, despite of how they're filmed, most movies are edited on a "digital intermediate" of 2K, meaning that's their quality ceiling. For example, The Hobbit movies are filmed at 5K, but are edited at 2K, meaning all that extra resolution is lost to the consumer. So there goes that. 4K could be useful if you're going to do some technical work like 3D rendering or graphic design.

Then again you are recommending the guy multiple $1K video cards. :p

mkenyon

Banned
Nah, two 290Xs are plenty capable of pushing 4K at 60FPS for the most part. Turn down the random odd and end, and you're there. That's about $1000.

Needing a monstrous rig does not equate to "complete waste of money". Dumping $3k on video cards might not even be a huge purchase for some people. If playing at 4K is what the person wants, and buying a $2000+ PC is a reasonable purchase, then it's not really a waste. Right?

Smokey

Huh, I didn't know that could be considered vitriol. I stand by what I said, it's not a worthwhile purchase. On the gaming side, I'd wager you need a monstrous rig to run new and upcoming "next-gen" games at 4k@30fps+.On the movies side, despite of how they're filmed, most movies are edited on a "digital intermediate" of 2K, meaning that's their quality ceiling. For example, The Hobbit movies are filmed at 5K, but are edited at 2K, meaning all that extra resolution is lost to the consumer. So there goes that. 4K could be useful if you're going to do some technical work like 3D rendering or graphic design.

Waste of money is subjective.

Gaming period could be considered a waste of money if we go that route

scogoth

Spreadsheets. If you need to see a lot of numbers, 4k is the way to go.

Photo editing. Lots of high end photographers using 4k monitors to view and edit photos.

Early adopter. Some people like having the latest greatest even if it costs a premium. It's these people that make it worthwhile to make 4k screens so the rest of us can enjoy it later when 4k ramps up. If no one buys them when they are expensive then they will stop making them and we would be stuck at 640x480 forever.

Lots of good reasons for 4K, he didn't say 4K gaming.

PIRL0

Neo Member
Anything you want. You can make an amazing single gpu ITX box with that kind of money that'll play anything you throw at it for years.

(Spend 1800 and save 700 for gpu upgrade in two years)

Generally the only good way to "futureproof" is to not overspend, and to build a foundation that is easy to swap in a new GPU a few years down the line. The $1000 build in the OP with a 4790K is pretty much what you're looking for.

thanks.. got your point.. will not spend all money one time to upgrade in the future

M3z_

R9 290 DCUII, AMD Never Settle Gold Codes, Glossy Modded VG248QE, R9 290X Lightning

Down to my last one.

US48 Only Paypal

R9 290 Asus DirectCU II $300 *No mining & Original Box*

ePiJJv9l.jpg

BY9nxC3l.jpg

Also 2 AMD Gold Never Settle Code $25 each

$_57.JPG

Asus 144hz Modded to Remove AG Coating for more vibrant colors. Screen is now gloss and not matte. $180 shipped

R9 290X Lightning $520 Basically new, have had it for a month, works great.

hitgirl

What is it doing? I am currently testing and been using it with current drivers and it seems like some glitching, not necessarily artificating. Running other programs such as Heaven, 3dmark I see none of this.

Like white artifact lines. I tried it on my ASUS 780 and sure enough it was artifact too, went down to the the drivers that released in march and it works perfect.

bamboobimbo

Neo Member
I'm finally retiring my 6870, and have been looking at Nvidia cards in the £200 region, namely, the GTX 770. Is this card still the best bang for your buck, and how long could I hope to max games @ 1080p?

The FG2421 is very tempting, but it's too expensive for me (upwards of 550$ iirc) and it seems a lot of people have flaws in their panels.

Why I decided not to get it. Went with a cheaper Dell ips instead that can overclock to 80hz, but now mad at all the bleed and glow from it so back to looking for something new even if the colors look great.

Hawk269

Ok Guys! Someone at the AVS Forums PM'd me about something hidden in the new Nvidia Drivers. He claimed that it allowed him to run 4k resolution, obviously on a 4k set at 60fps via HDMI. However, as we all know HDMI on our GPU's are only 1.4 which are limited to 4k at 30fps. So, I happen to check into this and I seriously need someone to check my sanity because it is working!!!!

I don't know how or what, but when you go to the Screen Resolution under the Nvidia Control panel, it shows Ultra HD and the 4k resolution, but when I hit this it showed the refresh rate at only 30, but I scrolled down and there was a separate listing of resolution for PC and one of them was 3840x2160 at 60. So I selected this and sure enough the resolution changed to 4k. But figured no way a game would play at 60fps. So I booted up fraps and since it is my wifes system and she only had Elder Scrolls, I booted that up and sure as fuck it played at 4k at 60fps. I had to turn some stuff down as she only has a 770, but I am able to get 60fps at 4k through the HDMI port on the GPU. My Sony 4k was updated a while ago to have the HDMI 4 port capable of running at HDMI 2.0 specs.

How is this working guys? It goes against what everyone was told that HDMI 1.4 was not capable of doing this, but yet I am playing a game at 4k at 60fps? Can anyone that has a 4k set and PC along with the Beta drives test this please? ensure you scroll down to the PC resolutions.

fader

Spreadsheets. If you need to see a lot of numbers, 4k is the way to go.

Photo editing. Lots of high end photographers using 4k monitors to view and edit photos.

Early adopter. Some people like having the latest greatest even if it costs a premium. It's these people that make it worthwhile to make 4k screens so the rest of us can enjoy it later when 4k ramps up. If no one buys them when they are expensive then they will stop making them and we would be stuck at 640x480 forever.

Lots of good reasons for 4K, he didn't say 4K gaming.

so 4K gaming is not on the level right now?

So it looks like my Gigabyte 7970 just died on me. Artifacted on both my monitors while playing CS:GO and wouldn't output a signal to my displays on reboot. Tested my roommate's videocard in my comp and it worked.

I put in an RMA request with Gigabyte, but who knows how long that will take. In the meantime I want to continue to be able to play CS:GO! So I'm thinking about picking up a cheap video card. Any suggestions for something cheap that could run CS:GO at 60fps at medium/high settings?

scogoth

Ok Guys! Someone at the AVS Forums PM'd me about something hidden in the new Nvidia Drivers. He claimed that it allowed him to run 4k resolution, obviously on a 4k set at 60fps via HDMI. However, as we all know HDMI on our GPU's are only 1.4 which are limited to 4k at 30fps. So, I happen to check into this and I seriously need someone to check my sanity because it is working!!!!

I don't know how or what, but when you go to the Screen Resolution under the Nvidia Control panel, it shows Ultra HD and the 4k resolution, but when I hit this it showed the refresh rate at only 30, but I scrolled down and there was a separate listing of resolution for PC and one of them was 3840x2160 at 60. So I selected this and sure enough the resolution changed to 4k. But figured no way a game would play at 60fps. So I booted up fraps and since it is my wifes system and she only had Elder Scrolls, I booted that up and sure as fuck it played at 4k at 60fps. I had to turn some stuff down as she only has a 770, but I am able to get 60fps at 4k through the HDMI port on the GPU. My Sony 4k was updated a while ago to have the HDMI 4 port capable of running at HDMI 2.0 specs.

How is this working guys? It goes against what everyone was told that HDMI 1.4 was not capable of doing this, but yet I am playing a game at 4k at 60fps? Can anyone that has a 4k set and PC along with the Beta drives test this please? ensure you scroll down to the PC resolutions.

Are you *sure* a 60fps image is being transmitted to the screen? Run blur test http://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates

The reason sony was able to update their HDMI ports to 2.0 is they intentionally put in overkill signal processing chips to ensure that they would handle the extra bandwidth. Nvidia has not so I don't see how this possible without effectively overclocking the signal processors for the HDMI port on the GPU (maybe similar to overclocking a screens processor for >60Hz?). My guess is 60Hz image generated, feed to display at 30Hz.

Hawk269

Are you *sure* a 60fps image is being transmitted to the screen? Run blur test http://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates

The reason sony was able to update their HDMI ports to 2.0 is they intentionally put in overkill signal processing chips to ensure that they would handle the extra bandwidth. Nvidia has not so I don't see how this possible without effectively overclocking the signal processors for the HDMI port on the GPU (maybe similar to overclocking a screens processor for >60Hz?). My guess is 60Hz image generated, feed to display at 30Hz.

I just ran that test you linked and I get two rows, one at 60fps and one at 30fps. I also tested it with games. I have a new Panasnic 4k AX800 in my gaming room, sole purpose was that it had a Display Port to allow 4k gaming at 60fps. I played plenty of Elder Scrolls at 4k at 60fps. With this beta driver, I am using my wifes computer in our living room which has our Sony 4k set and it plays just as smooth at 60fps at 4k. Albeit I had to turn stuff down because she has a 770. But it sure works.

How is this really possible and not documented or brought up in the release notes for the beta driver?

scogoth

I just ran that test you linked and I get two rows, one at 60fps and one at 30fps. I also tested it with games. I have a new Panasnic 4k AX800 in my gaming room, sole purpose was that it had a Display Port to allow 4k gaming at 60fps. I played plenty of Elder Scrolls at 4k at 60fps. With this beta driver, I am using my wifes computer in our living room which has our Sony 4k set and it plays just as smooth at 60fps at 4k. Albeit I had to turn stuff down because she has a 770. But it sure works.

How is this really possible and not documented or brought up in the release notes for the beta driver?

Maybe its not supported and someone snuck it into the driver?

Hawk269

Maybe its not supported and someone snuck it into the driver?

I did some further testing. When you go to the Nvidia Control Panel it lists the 4k resolution twice. Once under UHD and this one is 3840x2160 at 30hz. When I select this and go to that UFO test, it gives errors that it is stuttering and you see the UFO scrolling across the screen really choppy.

When I select the same resolution under PC, which is 3840x2160 at 60hz and run the UFO test the top ship is very smooth and the message in the window below states "valid".

Edit: I posted this question at the Nvidia Forums in the Beta driver thread and Manual G from Nividia responded with this....

"We will have more information on this at a later date but it is technically possible to get 50Hz/60Hz at 4K resolution over HDMI 1.3 bandwidth."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom