• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiriin

27 Celsius on idle (19 celsius room temperature), and 84 celsius on load at 4.2 Ghz (turbo boost, non-oc'd), full load running Prime95 stress test. Temperature info provided by CPUID HW Monitor.

Those temps are way too high for a h100i regardless of cpu model. The fans needs proper contact with the radiator's fins. I would suggest you unmount the radiator/fan and do an open case test just to make sure it not something else.

Well the hardest part of getting my new PC running was installing windows 8. Now having to download a special iso for the N version I purchased. No SSD bracket with my case and my cable management is a bit pants. Fans could use a better clean but I'm over the hump. Should be gaming tomorrow with any luck.

Thanks to those who helped directly or indirectly.

Ac30

Thanks! Another random question is, if I plan to wipe a drive, would DBAN be the best tool for that?

No problem. And I don't know the answer to the second one, but I'll quote you for visibility :) Pretty sure you can wipe drives in windows using disk utility though.

bro1

Banned
Those temps are way too high for a h100i regardless of cpu model. The fans needs proper contact with the radiator's fins. I would suggest you unmount the radiator/fan and do an open case test just to make sure it not something else.
No, it's prime95. Use aidia64 instead.

jordn613

Unconfirmed Member
Installed my MSI 970 into this http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HvW2FT/by_merchant/

On "Game Mode" using the MSI Game app, I score 1360 at about 58fps in Unigine Heaven; temps get to about 72C at peak. Seem like what I should be expecting given my rig?

I primarily need an answer to this because the card I bought at Microcenter turned out to have been returned. They gave me discount and the card was only $310, and was missing the Dvi to vga adapter. The connectors on the card were still covered with plastic and nothing else seemed strange but I just want to ensure its working correctly and giving me the expected benchmarks.

kiriin

I know it Prime95 but I guess Im overestimating Ivy/Haswell solderless heatsinks. My 2600k never went above 70c on a two hr p95 blend test :p

axb2013

Speccy says my motherboard is at 117C, that doesn't seem right to me. My processor is at 25C. should I be worried about this?
Try a different version and other monitoring apps for piece of mind. I think it's just bad data interpretation: http://forum.piriform.com/?showtopic=39866

On "Game Mode" using the MSI Game app, I score 1360 at about 58fps in Unigine Heaven; temps get to about 72C at peak. Seem like what I should be expecting given my rig?

I primarily need an answer to this because the card I bought at Microcenter turned out to have been returned. They gave me discount and the card was only $310, and was missing the Dvi to vga adapter. The connectors on the card were still covered with plastic and nothing else seemed strange but I just want to ensure its working correctly and giving me the expected benchmarks.

I think the card is fine but try prolonged gaming to see if any issues come up. If you have GPU intensive games in your library, use fraps to monitor your frame rates then compare the results with comparable benchmarks.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I know it Prime95 but I guess Im overestimating Ivy/Haswell solderless heatsinks. My 2600k never went above 70c on a two hr p95 blend test :p
That's because it's soldered and not with TIM and a bigger gap like everything after it.

There were people with 240mm AIO or higher setups getting 80C+ which is why everyone started delidding

I am having a small annoying issue with my screens.

1st screen is the AOC G-Sync - Displayport
2nd screen is my Bravia - hdmi

When using the second screen, the nvidia drivers will regularly give me "G-Sync screen deteced" popup message in the toolbar. Pretty annoying. Only way to get rid of it at the moment is to turn off Gsync when using my second screen. Any ideas?

Update pictures of my PC:
t6qpSIm.jpg

mwmBWSQ.jpg

In the front, added the Matrix Orbital LCD and a slot load Blu ray burner. Not sure why I got the burner. I don't remember the last time I used a disc. Guess, it looks good. Inside, I switch to the big ass CRYORIG R1 Ultimate cooler. Too bad, it didn't do much for higher OC.

Very nice. If I'd buy a case now, this would be the one. That is the blower cooler? What temps are you getting? edit: ah, seems to be water.

Grums

Neo Member
New PC build is complete! Trying to decide what version of windows to install now. Windows 7 or Windows 8.1? Which is better?

knitoe

I am having a small annoying issue with my screens.

1st screen is the AOC G-Sync - Displayport
2nd screen is my Bravia - hdmi

When using the second screen, the nvidia drivers will regularly give me "G-Sync screen deteced" popup message in the toolbar. Pretty annoying. Only way to get rid of it at the moment is to turn off Gsync when using my second screen. Any ideas?

Very nice. If I'd buy a case now, this would be the one. That is the blower cooler? What temps are you getting? edit: ah, seems to be water.
It's a air cooler which is only slightly below the current best Noctua D15. I went with it because it looks better than the Noctua D15. As for temps, getting 70ish C under Prime95 with 5930K 4.2Ghz@1.18V. Any higher OC requires more voltages then temps go crazy to 90ish C.

SarBear

[Basic Desktop Questions]
  • Your Current Specs: Intel Q6600/DDR2 400MHz/Gigabyte P35-DS4/GeForce 8800GTX/Antec TruePower Quattro 850/ NZXT Case / 500GB Western Digital Caviar
  • Budget: $1800 + USA
  • Main Use: Light Gaming, Gaming, Emulation (PS2/Wii), General Usage
  • Monitor Resolution: 1080p, maybe higher in the future. New Monitor (~25 inch)
  • List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Newer games 1080p, at least 60fps
  • How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you?: I don't know what this is.
  • Looking to reuse any parts?: Not if I don't have to. Even need a new keyboard/mouse
  • When will you build?: The next 45 days
  • Will you be overclocking?: Maybe, with an aftermarket cpu cooler?

Once this thing is put together, i can't fathom sinking in anything else until I'm ready for a new build. How important is an aftermarket cpu cooler?

Anyone?

It's a air cooler which is only slightly below the current best Noctua D15. I went with it because it looks better than the Noctua D15. As for temps, getting 70ish C under Prime95 with 5930K 4.2Ghz@1.18V. Any higher OC requires more voltages then temps go crazy to 90ish C.

Sorry, meant the GPUs.

Aiustis

So my hard drive is too small; I need to buy parts to get my hard drive to screw in my case but I don't know what they're called.

jordn613

Unconfirmed Member

I think the card is fine but try prolonged gaming to see if any issues come up. If you have GPU intensive games in your library, use fraps to monitor your frame rates then compare the results with comparable benchmarks.

I was running Ethan Carter maxed and had a mostly solid 60fps. Mordor maxed and mostly above 60fps. The card is very quiet, rarely seems to be pushing hard. I've only seen the temps go above 70C during the unigine heaven benchmark.

In Game Mode it runs at 1253mhz, fyi. Is there a list of what the average scores are for this card? Just trying to ensure it can do what it should but not sure what sort of paces to put it through specifically.

axb2013

I was running Ethan Carter maxed and had a mostly solid 60fps. Mordor maxed and mostly above 60fps. The card is very quiet, rarely seems to be pushing hard. I've only seen the temps go above 70C during the unigine heaven benchmark.

In Game Mode it runs at 1253mhz, fyi. Is there a list of what the average scores are for this card? Just trying to ensure it can do what it should but not sure what sort of paces to put it through specifically.
Those are very good numbers.
You can mix and match different hardware here for comparisons:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/39

Other than that, check out benchmark graphs for the freshest titles on hardware and gaming sites.

MetalDeer

So my hard drive is too small; I need to buy parts to get my hard drive to screw in my case but I don't know what they're called.

It's probably a 2.5" drive, you'll need a 2.5" to 3.5" bracket so it fits in the hard drive cage of your case properly, something like this. Could depend on how your case is set up, though.

RedSwirl

40-50% signal strength is kinda weak. You might have to use another repeater to increase the range or get a better router with longer range.

5GHz N range really sucks. On the other hand, 5GHz AC is much better.

I just tried putting the repeater in another place that get's it about 88% signal strength from the router, and then connecting my PC's wifi card to the repeater. The speed test results are basically the same.

I think I'll just keep it like before until I upgrade my modem. According to what I've found, my ISP actually doubled my speed like two months ago but I haven't been able to take advantage of it because the modem I'm currently using is a 12-year-old model. I'm hoping that upgrading that modem might get wifi devices the same fraction of its bandwidth and thus gain speed, but I have no idea if it actually works like that.

My real problem is there's only one place in the house with an outlet for a cable modem, and it's in the back corner of an office in a back corner of the house. The modem and the router basically have to stay there.

Got my replacement 780 Ti Classified from EVGA. I really hope that I don't have the same crashing problem. It's still good to have my desktop back.

Well, I couldn't find any guide or video that had the same bios as me. So I took a risk and turned OC Turner on in my bios (it basically auto bumps the CPU speed from 3.9GHZ to 4.2GHZ. I decided to take a risk and simply increase the limit manually to 4.5GHZ.

I played The Evil Within and didn't really notice too much of a difference. If anything it may have performed worse (probably my imagination). I then played Blade Symphony and shat my pants. Prior to overclocking I struggled to get past 50fps, now I have around 75fps... It's really incredible.

EDIT - My only concern is that my CPUTIN and AUXTIN heat is high. Don't know why since the CPU cores seem relatively cool.

EDIT 2 - And according to CPU-Z while playing high end games it stays mostly at 4.6GHZ but it deeps back to 1.6GHZ every ten seconds or so for a moment. Not sure if this is normal or not.

LordAlu

Complete overkill for your usage but then that just means it will be ages before you need to upgrade or build again!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.97 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z97M Gaming Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($153.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($158.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.97 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital WD Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($82.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($349.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($70.00 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($44.99 @ Micro Center)
Mouse: Cooler Master CM Storm Spawn Wired Optical Mouse ($44.99 @ Mac Mall)
Speakers: Creative Labs Inspire T10 10W 2ch Speakers ($39.99 @ Adorama)
Total: $1790.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-02 03:13 EST-0500

mitheor

Hi PC gaf.

I have some problems with my psu and mobo so i'm upgrading them (and cpu) next week.

However i'm not sure about the gpu. My current system has a gtx590. Should i take this change to upgrade it too?

Some info: hardcore gaming, ultrawide 2k monitor. 16 gb ram. I7 4790.

ekgrey

Hi PC gaf.

I have some problems with my psu and mobo so i'm upgrading them (and cpu) next week.

However i'm not sure about the gpu. My current system has a gtx590. Should i take this change to upgrade it too?

Some info: hardcore gaming, ultrawide 2k monitor. 16 gb ram. I7 4790.

the 590 is still a pretty beastly card but given the age (and lack of updates), low VRAM and high power consumption, i'd say go ahead and upgrade if you've got the money in the budget. could certainly get by for now but trying to push new games at that resolution i think you'd be well served by a 970 or 290X.

I'm done with my current setup, it's not even a year old but the R7 260x has been giving me too many issues, so I'm considering getting either a 970x or a smaller vidcard since I only got a 550W PSU. But fuck this dumb vidcard anyways

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
After looking around for deals and finding a Sapphire R9 280 at $165, I decided to go with that rather than a GTX 970. I decided that while the 970 is a great card for the price, I'd rather save $200 while still being able to play games at close to 1080p60.

All my pieces are ordered now, will likely start putting it all together next week!

Can someone tell me the difference between a MSI GTX760 OC 2GB and a MSI GTX760 2GB Twinfrozrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

The non frozr one is 30 euros cheaper and kinda better looking, if it matters, the other one looks kinda dumb

kennah

Some of the best deals out there are the price crashed used GTX 670s. You can find them for around $125. Incredible value.

Kezen

Banned
Can someone tell me the difference between a MSI GTX760 OC 2GB and a MSI GTX760 2GB Twinfrozrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

The non frozr one is 30 euros cheaper and kinda better looking, if it matters, the other one looks kinda dumb

The Twin Frozr model is quiter and cooler on top of being OC'd too.
Go for the 4GB version if you can.

SarBear

There are some recommended builds in the OP, try making one of your own and then we'll critique it.

Something like the "enthusiast" build in the OP is probably what you are looking for.

Complete overkill for your usage but then that just means it will be ages before you need to upgrade or build again!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.97 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z97M Gaming Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($153.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($158.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital WD Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($82.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($349.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($70.00 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($44.99 @ Micro Center)
Mouse: Cooler Master CM Storm Spawn Wired Optical Mouse ($44.99 @ Mac Mall)
Speakers: Creative Labs Inspire T10 10W 2ch Speakers ($39.99 @ Adorama)
Total: $1790.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-02 03:13 EST-0500

Thanks a lot guys! Questions: is there an advantage to using 4 sticks of 4gb ram versus 2x 8gb sticks? Why a MicroATX motherboard versus a regular ATX? And, with the hard drive, is the "green" series decent? I'd like to go 7200rpm 64mb cache (I rally am future proofing to a small extent). Also, I do have a copy of Windows 8.1 that i'll be using, so that will free up 90 bucks.

Nipo

So I think i'm finally ready to order my components. Any advice/changes would be appreciated:

Your Current Specs: Here is the build I"m considering:

Case NCase M1 (already purchased)
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($149.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($355.91 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Silverstone 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1410.80

I know with the NCase I need to get a reference video card but I don't know which 970 or 980 would be best. Is there any easy way to tell if it is a reference design? Are all reference cards teh same regardless of brand?

Budget: $1500ish United States
Main Use: General gaming:4 General usage (mainly excel) 4. Everything else 1.
Monitor Resolution: I have a 1440p and 1080p monitor that i'll be playing with (not at the same time). I"d like to average 60 fps and am willing to switch from one to the other on a per game basis.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Civilization V (and beyond earth), shadow of mordor, divinity original sin
Will you be overclocking?: at some point
Timeframe: I could order as soon as today or wait for black friday I have amazon prime and it is my preferred store.

Heh, same situation. Helsinki here, my initial build was 1600 euros. Had to gimp some stuff down for my final build.

Yup, Helsinki here too. I think I could get the price down by juggling the stuff from other retailers than Verkkokauppa around 100 euros or so, but that's bit of extra inconvience (plus potential postages instead of taking the metro) which might not be worth the extra effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom