• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to flag the partition on the drive as bootable. And then copy the extracted files from the ISO over to the USB drive, just copying the ISO on to the drive won't work.

Microsoft has a tool that will do the work for you. You just need to have the ISO and a USB drive. http://wudt.codeplex.com/

Alright, I was looking at that. Does it only work with 7 as the name implies? Or will it work with other versions as well?

Mine01

Hi guys, looking between finally upgrade my build or buying a next gen console, I would like a console but games are so damm expensive here so i might just upgrade my pc and use steam sales lol.

Anyway I answered this questionarre hopping you guys can help me build a nice and cheap pc :).

[Basic Desktop Questions]
Your Current Specs: i7 2600 / 8gb / Stock HP / HD 7770 / 600 w random power supply / Stock Case / 2tb HDD
Budget: Mexico and well since I alredy have some parts im just looking to upgrade my mobo, case and gpu.
Main Use: 720p (my tv is 720p lol) Gaming, maybe 1080p.
Monitor Resolution: 720p, maybe getting a 1080p tv in 2015
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well:Going for 60 fps and not really interested on things like physX, maybe some supersampling :p.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Going to reuse my cpu, HDD and maybe my power supply.
When will you build?: Trying to get it build before christmas.
Will you be overclocking?: No.

I've been lurking in here for a while; I just wanted to thank everyone who's helped out with the part lists in the OP. Everything's laid out so intelligently such that even a newbie could get a build going, and as someone who's informed, it was trivial to get my part list laid out with the lists there.

I swapped out the Enthoo for a Challenger, snagged a Gigabyte N970G1 (no idea how it wasn't sold out the first time I went to add a 970 to my cart), and went for the stuff listed under 'Excellent' for the rest (except RAM; I'm not convinced I need 16GB yet). A friend of mine found a couple deals around the web (he loves window shopping for PCs), so I managed to get my build down to ~$1150. My buddy and I are gonna have to take a dremel to the floppy drive bays of the Challenger so the N970G1 will fit, but hey, I've never gotten to put on a mask and use power tools to cut some metal before!

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
You'll get better cooling with a higher-end manufacturer's card vs. a reference looking model, which will help keep temps lower when overclocking. I think the only advantage with a reference looking model (other than price) is that it should exhaust more heat out of the case. This could be handy if your case temps are higher than desired.

I might be completely wrong, though. Bit of a beginner myself.

My advice,go with either a non stock card from MSI or Gigabyte.

The will run cooler, quieter and perform better vs the stock cards.

MSI GTX 970 Gaming.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1516121/gtx-970-comparison-strix-vs-msi-gaming-vs-gigabyte-g1

Strix vs MSI vs G1 comparison there. MSI has the best compromise imo, best power delivery, good OOB power limit, and quiet. And pretty much everyone is hitting ~1500Mhz core with them.

Gigabyte Windforce OC has no backplate, and cooler is huge, so PCB sags. G1 has the backplate, more expensive and louder than the MSI Gamer. So for me MSI won it.

Cool, thanks guys. Looks like I'll be on the market for an MSI Gaming. Too bad they're basically sold out everywhere...

jordn613

Unconfirmed Member
Installed my MSI 970 into this http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HvW2FT/by_merchant/

On "Game Mode" using the MSI Game app, I score 1360 at about 58fps in Unigine Heaven; temps get to about 72C at peak. Seem like what I should be expecting given my rig?

I primarily need an answer to this because the card I bought at Microcenter turned out to have been returned. They gave me discount and the card was only $310, and was missing the Dvi to vga adapter. The connectors on the card were still covered with plastic and nothing else seemed strange but I just want to ensure its working correctly and giving me the expected benchmarks.

The Llama

Take out 8 gigs and see if you notice any difference at all. More likely that it expands to fill available memory

Just to clarify a bit, I meant my computer is using ~9GB of RAM, not just Evolve. And also this is only (IIRC) the second game that's made my computer use more than 8GB of RAM. It'd probably run fine with 8GB of RAM though, especially because I had Chrome/Spotify/etc. open in the background. Plus it doesn't really seem to be a very demanding game (limited to 60FPS but my 290x didn't even run at max clockspeed).

SarBear

[Basic Desktop Questions]
  • Your Current Specs: Intel Q6600/DDR2 400MHz/Gigabyte P35-DS4/GeForce 8800GTX/Antec TruePower Quattro 850/ NZXT Case / 500GB Western Digital Caviar
  • Budget: $1800 + USA
  • Main Use: Light Gaming, Gaming, Emulation (PS2/Wii), General Usage
  • Monitor Resolution: 1080p, maybe higher in the future. New Monitor (~25 inch)
  • List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Newer games 1080p, at least 60fps
  • How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you?: I don't know what this is.
  • Looking to reuse any parts?: Not if I don't have to. Even need a new keyboard/mouse
  • When will you build?: The next 45 days
  • Will you be overclocking?: Maybe, with an aftermarket cpu cooler?

Once this thing is put together, i can't fathom sinking in anything else until I'm ready for a new build. How important is an aftermarket cpu cooler?

Just to clarify a bit, I meant my computer is using ~9GB of RAM, not just Evolve. And also this is only (IIRC) the second game that's made my computer use more than 8GB of RAM. It'd probably run fine with 8GB of RAM though, especially because I had Chrome/Spotify/etc. open in the background. Plus it doesn't really seem to be a very demanding game (limited to 60FPS but my 290x didn't even run at max clockspeed).

How much memory was just Evolve using though?

Omega

Banned
So I've been debating on going with 970 SLI. I was looking at benchmarks and with some games it's advantages are obvious but with other games like Wolfenstein it does nothing. In fact it performed worse

Is Wolfenstein the exception or is SLI an issue?

bro1

Banned
So I've been debating on going with 970 SLI. I was looking at benchmarks and with some games it's advantages are obvious but with other games like Wolfenstein it does nothing. In fact it performed worse

Is Wolfenstein the exception or is SLI an issue?
Wolfenstein doesn't support SLi.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Playing Evolve right now, its using >9GB of RAM (and ~3.2GB of VRAM at 1080p). Time to upgrade to 16GB of RAM everyone!

Got that loud and clear a while ago ;). On 32 gigs now =)!

Vid ram is also going to go bunkers in 2015-2016... expect 4 gigs to be peasant cards ;).

Edit: Note, don't bother however with 980 or 290x 8 gig variants. Its like putting 10k mags on a Pinto ;), wait for next year when the reference cards come at 8 gigs, then things will start to change!

xBladeM6x

I've been getting this issue, where sometimes my PC will just start skipping, and within seconds it completely locks up, and the audio that was playing gets more and more robotic until it's just a solid static tone. The only way to stop it, is to unplug the PC. This all takes place in the period of like 5 seconds. From what I've read this is either a CPU / RAM issue.

Ac30

I've been getting this issue, where sometimes my PC will just start skipping, and within seconds it completely locks up, and the audio that was playing gets more and more robotic until it's just a solid static tone. The only way to stop it, is to unplug the PC. This all takes place in the period of like 5 seconds. From what I've read this is either a CPU / RAM issue.

I had this earlier and it was a RAM issue, try memtest on individual sticks and see if you get repeated errors?

xBladeM6x

I had this earlier and it was a RAM issue, try memtest on individual sticks and see if you get repeated errors?

Is there any particular program used to do a memtest, or is it a BIOS thing?
It's one of those few things I never got around to learning. Lol

kennah

So. Misleading post was misleading? ;-)
Got that loud and clear a while ago ;). On 32 gigs now =)!

Vid ram is also going to go bunkers in 2015-2016... expect 4 gigs to be peasant cards ;).

Edit: Note, don't bother however with 980 or 290x 8 gig variants. Its like putting 10k mags on a Pinto ;), wait for next year when the reference cards come at 8 gigs, then things will start to change!
Or buy midrange now and then buy midrange in a couple years. There is no point in waiting, you'll wait forever.

Aiustis

Can I put my new hard drive into any sata slot? It says sata 3 but my motherboard only has two and both are in use. Or do I move my disk drive to one of the sata 2 slots and put my hard drive in an sata 3 slot. Or does it not matter much.

LordAlu

Can I put my new hard drive into any sata slot? It says sata 3 but my motherboard only has two and both are in use. Or do I move my disk drive to one of the sata 2 slots and put my hard drive in an sata 3 slot. Or does it not matter much.
Is it a mechanical hard drive? If so, it doesn't matter.

RedSwirl

40-50% signal strength is kinda weak. You might have to use another repeater to increase the range or get a better router with longer range.

5GHz N range really sucks. On the other hand, 5GHz AC is much better.

Oh shit. That repeater doesn't actually have to be wired to a computer all the time does it?

Kevyt

Hello PC Gaf! So I have a Rosewill Blackhawk ATX case and using a H100i to cool my CPU. The only thing is that it doesn't really fit in my case, so I had to modify it. What I did was to cut part of the top, removing the installed fan, in order to fit the radiator and the fans. But I'm not sure if this is effective because the fans are not making direct contact with the radiator. In addition, I think my temperatures are too high... Should I buy a Full Tower case to properly fit the H100i or is my "modified" version fine?

rig1.jpg

Specific temps would be helpful.

27 Celsius on idle (19 celsius room temperature), and 84 celsius on load at 4.2 Ghz (turbo boost, non-oc'd), full load running Prime95 stress test. Temperature info provided by CPUID HW Monitor.

Ultrabum

Hello PC Gaf! So I have a Rosewill Blackhawk ATX case and using a H100i to cool my CPU. The only thing is that it doesn't really fit in my case, so I had to modify it. What I did was to cut part of the top, removing the installed fan, in order to fit the radiator and the fans. But I'm not sure if this is effective because the fans are not making direct contact with the radiator. In addition, I think my temperatures are too high... Should I buy a Full Tower case to properly fit the H100i or is my "modified" version fine?

How far away is the radiator from the fans? As long as significant air is flowing through the radiator it should be fine. You can maybe add a little bit of duct work to help.

Kevyt

How far away is the radiator from the fans? As long as significant air is flowing through the radiator it should be fine. You can maybe add a little bit of duct work to help.

There seems to be good air flow. The fans are close to the radiator but there's a small plastic chassis-like platform between the radiator and fans that had a dust filter.

knitoe

Update pictures of my PC:
t6qpSIm.jpg

mwmBWSQ.jpg

In the front, added the Matrix Orbital LCD and a slot load Blu ray burner. Not sure why I got the burner. I don't remember the last time I used a disc. Guess, it looks good. Inside, I switch to the big ass CRYORIG R1 Ultimate cooler. Too bad, it didn't do much for higher OC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom