• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.D

Its here ;p
I purchased my PC in July 2008, so this is quite the upgrade :)

i7-4790K
GIGABYTE Z97X-GAMING 7
GIGABYTE GTX 970 G1
Kingston HyperX FURY 4x4GB DDR 3 1600MHz
Patriot BLAZER SSD 240GB
Western Digital 2TB

I was going to make a new post, but I'll just quote it since its on the same page

Some advice needed guys!

I got my new parts today, and I wanted to take it the store so they can put it together for me, but it will cost me at least 65$ since I have no car and will need to take a taxi there and back as well

I need to take out everything expect fans and the PSU out of my case, and remove one hard drive cage so the GPU will fit in

Don't think putting everything together in there will be an issue, but the question is if there's anything else that I need to do? like other than putting the parts in place? adjust something on one of the parts? do something software wise?

Also using an SSD for the first time, is there anything I need to know about using it? I'm going to install Windows on the SSD and possibly some games, but not all

kharma45

So a bit of an update with my graphics card situation. Sent the card to PowerColor for an RMA. The card is a PowerColor 7870 Myst Edition.

They emailed me back ~ a week after the card arrived and said they don't have the card in stock anymore.

So being that they are awesome, they offered me a AX7950 3GBD5-2DHPP(amazon page) as a replacement.

Pretty happy with the whole process. Makes up for the $25 i spent for the RMA shipping.

Just don't tell me that card is garbage....
/crossfingers

I appreciate you coming back to us about your RMA. I like to hear follow up stories.

You've got a better card back. It's a bit faster (not by that much though) but you're getting an extra gig of vram, wider memory bus and a better cooler.

Well worth the $25 imo. Plus at least now too you've a working card should you ever want to sell and upgrade.

Hey guys, quick question regarding a usage case and appropriate requirements, particularly because I've never built for this scenario before.

I have a strong primary PC. I want to build a mini ITX support machine to stick in the living room and hook up to my television.

Most use cases for this are standard HTPC things, light RetroArch, BluRay playback, streaming content from my server, etc.

But I want to accomplish two things with this that are slightly different from standard.

- I want to use the machine to stream via Steam In Home Streaming from my primary PC.
- I want to capture content from my consoles (also hooked up in the living room) for both recording and streaming to twitch/hitbox. Preferablly at 1080p60, so that rules out some of the USB options.

Now, the capture device and so on along with the mini ITX requirement means that'll eat my PCI-E slot and I'll be without a video card.

My question is if something like an i3 4130 with onboard video would be able to handle the streaming and capturing, or am I better off going with something like an i5 and a 750ti and then using a USB solution for the capture device?

CaLe

Thanks for the help guys.

Someone is offering to buy my GTX 670 for 150$ (Canadian) and sell me a new GTX 970 Zotac for 250$ (Canadian)...

Not sure if I'm getting screwed here or not.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Thanks for the help guys.

Someone is offering to buy my GTX 670 for 150$ (Canadian) and sell me a new GTX 970 Zotac for 250$ (Canadian)...

Not sure if I'm getting screwed here or not.
If card's good that sounds like a very good deal for you.

besiktas1

I wish somewhere in London (Uk) build be as good a rig :( I have no clue/time.

Not sure if I want a monster rig or small form factor...

Recommendations for both please that come prebuilt.

Budget: £700

Hi guys,

I'm looking at slightly upgrading my i3 / and 7750 machine by adding:

I5-4690k
R9 280 3gb

I've got 650 watt power, 8gb ram of some ddr3 sort, and a h61m motherboard. The parts picker said that mobo will work if I don't overclock, and I don't plan on it.

For mostly gaming at 60fps and 1080p, should I be looking beyond this price point? I would be hoping to play GTA5 on high settings in January.

Low Profile RAM (unless you really like their looks) like the Corsair Vengeance / G.SKILL ARES
FWIW I don't use Seagate and would suggest WD Blue 10EZEX unless you dont care for WD

Thank you. I don't care how the ram looks, but I switched for better air flow. My Seagate HD has given me no trouble at all, but my newer WD has acting up over the summer, so that's why I went with Seagate. It was a green though, so that might be it. I have heard that it's good to buy hard drives locally since they get dropped in shipping and this might damage them. Is this true?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zd96yc

CPU Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Case Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)

I've placed an order for everything but the hard drive and the OS, but I can still change it if anyone has any suggestions.

The Llama

Hi guys,

I'm looking at slightly upgrading my i3 / and 7750 machine by adding:

I5-4690k
R9 280 3gb

I've got 650 watt power, 8gb ram of some ddr3 sort, and a h61m motherboard. The parts picker said that mobo will work if I don't overclock, and I don't plan on it.

For mostly gaming at 60fps and 1080p, should I be looking beyond this price point? I would be hoping to play GTA5 on high settings in January.

Would be a solid upgrade, for the right price. No idea how it'll play GTA5, though. I have a feeling it'll be pretty CPU limited, so picking up a Z97 mobo and overclocking would be a good choice, but thats obviously another ~$120 or so.

Would be a solid upgrade, for the right price. No idea how it'll play GTA5, though. I have a feeling it'll be pretty CPU limited, so picking up a Z97 mobo and overclocking would be a good choice, but thats obviously another ~$120 or so.

Thanks. The two parts alone are looking to be about $400 aka the price of a ps4. I'd rather play in 60fps with lower settings than 30fps though.

ricki42

Torhthelm Tídwald;139570018 said:
Thank you. I don't care how the ram looks, but I switched for better air flow. My Seagate HD has given me no trouble at all, but my newer WD has acting up over the summer, so that's why I went with Seagate. It was a green though, so that might be it. I have heard that it's good to buy hard drives locally since they get dropped in shipping and this might damage them. Is this true?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zd96yc

CPU Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Case Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)

I've placed an order for everything but the hard drive and the OS, but I can still change it if anyone has any suggestions.

You could get a mATX case. You'll have a lot of unused extra space in the current one.

Sanjay

I can't believe the graphical fidelity. It literally looks like a movie.

image.php

And a reminder that there is cashback going on:-
https://toptechcashback.com/uk/en/pages/cashback/qualifying

This is the best combo I could find, a sweet £40 cashback.
MSI Z97 Gaming 5 £106.56
Intel Core i5 i5-4690K £167.50

£234 after cashback.

I wish somewhere in London (Uk) build be as good a rig :( I have no clue/time.

Not sure if I want a monster rig or small form factor...

Recommendations for both please that come prebuilt.

Budget: £700

Look above.

Is black Friday a good time to build a gaming PC? Considering doing that instead of buying an Xbox. Are sales cray good or is it better to buy throughout the year?

thespot84

Is black Friday a good time to build a gaming PC? Considering doing that instead of buying an Xbox. Are sales cray good or is it better to buy throughout the year?

i did it around black friday last year, i actually finished my build about a week before, and there were no better deals come black friday. Right now you might as well wait six days to see if great deals pop up, but if you see a deal now, i'd grab it.

ricki42

I considered suggesting that, but that might limit what size video card he can buy in the future, and decent mATX cases seem to cost more than the 200R.

Fair enough, but then why not go with a ATX board? If you don't gain anything in terms of form factor, are there any other advantages to choosing a mATX board?

RGM79

Fair enough, but then why not go with a ATX board? If you don't gain anything in terms of form factor, are there any other advantages to choosing a mATX board?

He seems to be really wanting to fit it within the budget without going over. I recommended ATX motherboards for him and mentioned that the mATX versions were slightly cheaper but had most if not all of the same features and just less expandability.

Well guys, my PC won't boot and I think it is power supply failure. I unplugged it to move rooms, and that was the last time it powered on for me. My ASUS 970 blinks white when the power cable it in, but nothing gets power or boots up, not even the power supply fans.

Could this be the motherboard as well? if so, do you guys think it's safe just just take the plunge towards a 4790k and new motherboard, or is there something new that will prove to be a significant leap up from it? I'm not quite ready to abandon my i5 2500k build, but if the motherboard is busted i will.

RGM79

Well guys, my PC won't boot and I think it is power supply failure. I unplugged it to move rooms, and that was the last time it powered on for me. My ASUS 970 blinks white when the power cable it in, but nothing gets power or boots up, not even the power supply fans.

Could this be the motherboard as well? if so, do you guys think it's safe just just take the plunge towards a 4790k and new motherboard, or is there something new that will prove to be a significant leap up from it? I'm not quite ready to abandon my i5 2500k build, but if the motherboard is busted i will.
Your 2500k is still a great processor. Still counts for mid to high end gaming these days, but a i7 4790 would give you a bit of a boost in some areas.

It's hard to say if it's the motherboard or PSU. Try out this flow chart to eliminate anything you might have missed or overlooked. Did you just move the computer or did you disassemble and reassemble it? Try another wall socket?

It sounds like a stupid question, but does it work if you plug it back into the wall socket in the old room?

mrpookles

I asked a question in this vein the other day, but I've just upgraded to two 970s, with the plan of reaping the sweet, sweet benefits of 1440p.

Looking for opinions: should I just latch onto G-sync and bite the bullet on the ROG Swift, or are there any other models on the way? The Swift has all of the features I want... but man, it's hideous. I can't stand PC parts that look like they're from Tron.

Your 2500k is still a great processor. Still counts for mid to high end gaming these days, but a i7 4790 would give you a bit of a boost in some areas.

It's hard to say if it's the motherboard or PSU. Try out this flow chart to eliminate anything you might have missed or overlooked. Did you just move the computer or did you disassemble and reassemble it? Try another wall socket?

It sounds like a stupid question, but does it work if you plug it back into the wall socket in the old room?

Yea, I really want to hold on CPU upgrades for awhile, but I'll make the jump if it's a motherboard failure I think. I'm going to go through that flow chart when I get some time later, thanks.

I just moved my computer, no disassembly at all. I tried different wall sockets and power cables, same results. I started having usb issues yesterday before this happened. If I plugged in more than around 3 usb devices I'd get errors and even got a windows message saying USB power surge, not enough power. Other than that, PC has been working well.

***edit***

The USB ports mentioned are from the motherboard, not the case USB ports.

RGM79

Yea, I really want to hold on CPU upgrades for awhile, but I'll make the jump if it's a motherboard failure I think. I'm going to go through that flow chart when I get some time later, thanks.

I just moved my computer, no disassembly at all. I tried different wall sockets and power cables, same results. I started having usb issues yesterday before this happened. If I plugged in more than around 3 usb devices I'd get errors and even got a windows message saying USB power surge, not enough power. Other than that, PC has been working well.

***edit***

The USB ports mentioned are from the motherboard, not the case USB ports.

In that case, it's almost certainly either the PSU or motherboard. Any other issues with the motherboard, like BSODs? I forgot to mention, any status LEDs on the motherboard, and what color and status (blinking or solid red/green, etc)

I have not had any bsod issues at all. My moyherboard has a reset button and power button that lights up red, but nothing lights up at all besides the little white power indicator on my gpu.

paskowitz

Just installed a Noctua NF-A14 Industrial 2000rpm fan as my rear exhaust fan... and by golly miss Molly this thing moves air. Super quiet below 1200rpm as well. Most of the sound comes from the air/suction. It actually makes less noise when the side panel is off.

Build quality is fantastic. Plastics are extremely firm and the whole thing just feels quality. Only complaint is the short power cable, something I am noticing on a lot of fans. Regardless, highly recommended.

Separate topic. Does anyone have any recommendations for a 5.25'' (3.5'' compatible) drive bay? Right now I have my 3.5'' drives sitting in their original trays up in my DVD bays. The rattle is not horrible on idle, but when two drives get going it becomes pretty annoying? Recommendations?

Because I'm stupid, I didn't hop on the R9 280 deal that happened a couple weeks ago. Now, I'm staring down the barrel of the Sapphire R9 280X. It's $200, but with certain maneuvering, I'll be bringing the total cost down to ~$170. (e: ~185 because fuck you NewEgg for destroying the google wallet promo)

I think I'm gonna jump on this since it looks to be the cheapest this card has ever been. (and it's better than the 280 which would be pretty great in the long run)

e: bought it. Will report results when upgrade is complete. :D

RGM79

Just installed a Noctua NF-A14 Industrial 2000rpm fan as my rear exhaust fan... and by golly miss Molly this thing moves air. Super quiet below 1200rpm as well. Most of the sound comes from the air/suction. It actually makes less noise when the side panel is off.

Build quality is fantastic. Plastics are extremely firm and the whole thing just feels quality. Only complaint is the short power cable, something I am noticing on a lot of fans. Regardless, highly recommended.

Separate topic. Does anyone have any recommendations for a 5.25'' (3.5'' compatible) drive bay? Right now I have my 3.5'' drives sitting in their original trays up in my DVD bays. The rattle is not horrible on idle, but when two drives get going it becomes pretty annoying? Recommendations?
You want to mount hard drives in the optical bays? What case do you have? If the optical bays are not separated by horizontal bars or panels, then you might be able to buy a hard drive case that takes up the space of 2 or 3 optical drive bays and just slides into the front of the case. Otherwise, you could just buy generic brackets that will fit one HDD to one optical Bay.

RedSwirl

The "Wndows" folder on my SSD is 24GB and I don't know why. Is that normal? What would cause it to take up so much space?

I've already done everything in the OP's SSD optimization guide and it had no effect on that folder. The only games I have installed on the SSD are very small (my whole Steam folder on there is about 2GB).

knitoe

The "Wndows" folder on my SSD is 24GB and I don't know why. Is that normal? What would cause it to take up so much space?

I've already done everything in the OP's SSD optimization guide and it had no effect on that folder. The only games I have installed on the SSD are very small (my whole Steam folder on there is about 2GB).

Yes. It's normal. Windows could take from 20-30GB depending on the version.

that is normal. Also, if you are concerned with space. If you leave your computer on all the time and on Hibernate mode, a file for hibernation ( hiberfil.sys) may grow to 6-12 gigs or so depending on your RAM (about 70% of you physical ram iirc) there are instructions to disable this if you wish to do so, a bunch show up in the first page if you google "hiberfil.sys".

edit: whoops, forgot that's in the OP.

I'm looking into building a new PC in the spring. I don't have all the money yet so I'm thinking about getting a CPU or GPU now. Which category typically has the better deals during holiday sales?

Kvik

Around the 7 minute mark he is saying that newer versions of Prime can cause permanent damage to the CPU... Is this true?

It is. Do not run small FFT tests if you have 59xx. Even on 1.25v, my temps goes up to 85 (5390K).

I used Realbench, Cinebench and Heaven for stress tests. I find it harder to pass these tests than running Prime.

RGM79

That's normal. My Windows system folder is just shy of 28 GB. Windows is a big girl.

How large is your SSD? If it's very small, consider using another drive for your OS and keep the SSD as a secondary drive just to store the games you want on it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm looking into building a new PC in the spring. I don't have all the money yet so I'm thinking about getting a CPU or GPU now. Which category typically has the better deals during holiday sales?
GPU as CPUs never go on sale barring price drops or $20 off coupons per retailer. There have been some insane AMD deals like the 280X last page.

So I'm having a bit of an issue here.

Here's what happening in short:
1) none of my usb ports work so I can't get to the BIOS or input anything.
2) getting the infamous "reboot and select proper boot device..." message, when anything other than my OS drive is connected; and stuck in the "EFI Shell version..." screen when I disconnect the other sata ports.

What do I think it caused it?
I am not sure but the last thing that happened is that I updated my bios and then when I saw that it was not using the OC profile that I had saved before the updated I loaded it and restarted, an then I was met with the "reboot and select..." screen.

On a side note, before that I was OCing my GPU, which seems to work fine, and the DVI port works.

What I'm trying is to get my mobo to factory design settings (MSI X99 Sli PLUS)

Bloodember

I figured this would be a good place to ask this, if not sorry.

I have an Asus X502C laptop that needs a new battery, it has the C21-X502, 7.4V, 5136mAh, 38Wh battery in it. Will the C31-X502, 11.1V, 4000mAh, 44Wh battery work in it? I'm worried about the voltage being higher and if that will affect anything.

LilJoka

I figured this would be a good place to ask this, if not sorry.

I have an Asus X502C laptop that needs a new battery, it has the C21-X502, 7.4V, 5136mAh, 38Wh battery in it. Will the C31-X502, 11.1V, 4000mAh, 44Wh battery work in it? I'm worried about the voltage being higher and if that will affect anything.

Im not an expert on laptops, but my experience is telling me you want the same voltage, but highest capacity (mAh).

LilJoka

So I'm having a bit of an issue here.

Here's what happening in short:
1) none of my usb ports work so I can't get to the BIOS or input anything.
2) getting the infamous "reboot and select proper boot device..." message, when anything other than my OS drive is connected; and stuck in the "EFI Shell version..." screen when I disconnect the other sata ports.

What do I think it caused it?
I am not sure but the last thing that happened is that I updated my bios and then when I saw that it was not using the OC profile that I had saved before the updated I loaded it and restarted, an then I was met with the "reboot and select..." screen.

On a side note, before that I was OCing my GPU, which seems to work fine, and the DVI port works.

What I'm trying is to get my mobo to factory design settings (MSI X99 Sli PLUS)

Try a CMOS reset by removing the Motherboard battery for a few minutes.

I recommend to always load optimized defaults before and after the BIOS flash, then to overclock from scratch since the profiles tend to break afterwards.

smashism

Because I'm stupid, I didn't hop on the R9 280 deal that happened a couple weeks ago. Now, I'm staring down the barrel of the Sapphire R9 280X. It's $200, but with certain maneuvering, I'll be bringing the total cost down to ~$170. (e: ~185 because fuck you NewEgg for destroying the google wallet promo)

I think I'm gonna jump on this since it looks to be the cheapest this card has ever been. (and it's better than the 280 which would be pretty great in the long run)

How did you bring this down to 170? I'm looking at that exact card at that exact price range.

I wouldn't be able to get away with a 600W power supply running that thing would I?

realzzz

Neo Member
Hey guys is there any way to mount a fan on the back of a hard drive cage ? Like a bracket or something like that ? I have a Cooler Master K280. Thanks.

Acrylic7

SO where is the best place to purchase PC parts this Black Friday? Trying to build my first gaming/image and video editing PC.

I know I wont be able to get everything at once but I at least want to get the most expensive items (Processor/ Graphics card) out of the way the cheapest way possible and I'm assuming that's Black Friday or Cyber Monday, right?

I currently have an i7-920 and an Alienware Area51 motherboard.

I'm upgrading my Graphics card to a GeForce GTX 970 and figured I'd upgrade everything.

I have two questions:

1) Do I need to upgrade my processor for the card to work on my current set up(I have zero knowledge of pc parts and requirements)

2) I eventually plan to upgrade the cpu/motherboard, just preferably not on the same paycheck as the card. What are some good yet relatively cheap bundles to get. My budget for the motherboard/cpu is about £250-350. Though the cheaper the better.

I will be playing games like Divinity original sin and the Witcher.

I currently play Smite, Team Fortress 2, Civ5, FFXIV.

Much thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom