• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

XBP

Is there any particular reason to choose the Asus Mobo? It is a bit more expensive than the MSI and Gigabyte equivalents.

Mainly because I've had great luck with products from ASUS. They've never failed me in anything I've bought from them so its more of a trust thing. Are there any motherboards from Gigabyte/EVGA/MSI that are equivalent in features and quality to the X99-A?

Mainly because I've had great luck with products from ASUS. They've never failed me in anything I've bought from them so its more of a trust thing. Are there any motherboards from Gigabyte/EVGA/MSI that are equivalent in features and quality to the X99-A?

The MSI X99 sli plus (which I own) is what I would say is the msi equivalent, the next one in line is the MSI X99 MPOWER which is closer to the Asus price, so it is between those two really. But I'm pretty happy with the X99 SLI PLUS. (2 more usb 3.0 on the back, but no sata express though)

Tablo

When the cost of upgrading is outweighed by:
Heat or power savings (Summer mainly)
Performance increase/$ (See: GTX 960 most likely)
Performance needs (More VRAM)
It's <$60 to upgrade (Like half my jumps)

670 has been a real champ so far
Darn tootin'
I'll probably upgrade before or around the beginning of summer 2015 to something GTX 980 level or above.

XBP

The MSI X99 sli plus (which I own) is what I would say is the msi equivalent, the next one in line is the MSI X99 MPOWER which is closer to the Asus price, so it is between those two really. But I'm pretty happy with the X99 SLI PLUS. (2 more usb 3.0 on the back, but no sata express though)

Hm.... the MSI X99M Power is 399 on NCIX so I'll have to check and see if they can price match the 299 price. The SLI Plus seems to be a good option though. I didn't really mention this but I'm getting everything from NCIX as they'll be assembling + testing all the components for me.

Hm.... the MSI X99M Power is 399 on NCIX so I'll have to check and see if they can price match the 299 price. The SLI Plus seems to be a good option though. I didn't really mention this but I'm getting everything from NCIX as they'll be assembling + testing all the components for me.

btw, in NCIX the asus board has wifi in the title, but I don't believe it has wifi, so if you don't have a wifi dongle or a PCI wifi card and want wifi, don't forget to add that.

Both of you go 4x4 because 2011 supports quad channel RAM. Difference in performance won't be huge, but if you are paying for 2011 might as well take advantage of all of it.

Because a 5820k has a quad-channel memory bus and you're halving your memory bandwidth by only using 2 modules.

Good to know, thanks guys.

Well, then you can save 50 bucks or so if you go ~700W but gold instead of platinum.

Would you mind pointing me to one? I just had a quick look but couldn't really find one that's both cheaper and fully modular.

XBP

btw, in NCIX the asus board has wifi in the title, but I don't believe it has wifi, so if you don't have a wifi dongle or a PCI wifi card and want wifi, don't forget to add that.

I'll be putting the computer right next to my router so I wont really need wifi (at least for now). Can I ask a question though? Which case are you using for your x99 build? Thats the one thing I'm still not sure about, there are just too many options.

Good to know, thanks guys.

Would you mind pointing me to one? I just had a quick look but couldn't really find one that's both cheaper and fully modular.

I'm not sure where you are buying yopur parts, so that may be what is happening. But this EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 is cheaper than seasoninc in newegg. If you are seeing the seasonic cheaper somewhere else then go with that.

I'll be putting the computer right next to my router so I wont really need wifi (at least for now). Can I ask a question though? Which case are you using for your x99 build? Thats the one thing I'm still not sure about, there are just too many options.

Man you don't want my case (I don't want my case). It is almost the cheapest option available a NZXT source 210 (there's almost not even room for your h105 here). What I should have gotten is at least a NZXT CA-S340W.

XBP

Man you don't want my case (I don't want my case). It is almost the cheapest option available a NZXT source 210 (there's almost not even room for your h105 here). What I should have gotten is a NZXT CA-S340W at least.

lol, its back to square one for me I guess. Cant seem to decide between the Corsair 750D and Phanteks Enthoo Luxe.

Tendo

Alright, I'm stuck.

My last PC was starting to have lots of issues. One of which was a noisy HD that made the computer hitch a bit when it got noisy. I noticed this a lot in games, especially Marvel Heroes, and when first booting the PC.

I built a brand new rig EXCEPT I used the old HD and 2 old ram sticks. I am having similar issues on the new rig. Is my HD dead/dying? Any other causes?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
How often do y'all upgrade your video cards? I know it's "whenever you run out of performance" but I'm curious how frequent it really is.

I seem to get about 3-3.5 years out of my cards, and typically buy something in the $250-$300 range.

I wonder if I should make this a new thread instead. Just curious.
I do yearly upgrades once I settle into a new platform. Usually around February. This next upgrade us going to be a whole new platform and GPU's so it's going to be a little more. Luckily I'm almost covering around half of that by selling my current x79 build.

Knch

lol, its back to square one for me I guess. Cant seem to decide between the Corsair 750D and Phanteks Enthoo Luxe.

Phanteks > Corsair.

Alright, I'm stuck.

My last PC was starting to have lots of issues. One of which was a noisy HD that made the computer hitch a bit when it got noisy. I noticed this a lot in games, especially Marvel Heroes, and when first booting the PC.

I built a brand new rig EXCEPT I used the old HD and 2 old ram sticks. I am having similar issues on the new rig. Is my HD dead/dying? Any other causes?

You should get a new harddisk... going by what you describe it is very much dying.

Kezen

Banned
Alright, I'm stuck.

DL CrystalDiskInfo.

M.D

Sooooo...

Somehow ended up spending way more than I planned, this is the order I made

GIGABYTE GTX 970 G1
GIGABYTE Z97X GAMING 7
KINGSTON HYPERX FURY 4GBX4
2TB HDD
240 SSD

In addition to the i7 4790K I got yesterday
Hope I won't need to upgrade for at least 4 years

riflen

I do yearly upgrades once I settle into a new platform. Usually around February. This next upgrade us going to be a whole new platform and GPU's so it's going to be a little more. Luckily I'm almost covering around half of that by selling my current x79 build.

I hope the GM200 GPU doesn't arrive right after you've built this machine. Sensible guesses are for Q1 2015 and up to 50% improvement over a full GK110. Still, it depends on your budget and other stuff.

Sooooo...

Somehow ended up spending way more than I planned, this is the order I made

GIGABYTE GTX 970 G1
GIGABYTE Z97X GAMING 7
KINGSTON HYPERX FURY 4GBX4
2TB HDD
240 SSD

In addition to the i7 4790K I got yesterday
Hope I won't need to upgrade for at least 4 years

You're fine. Especially if you're gaming at 1080p/1200p.
If you aim for 27"+ monitors and or / 4K, then this ain't enough. needz moar powa'. :D

M.D

You're fine. Especially if you're gaming at 1080p/1200p.
If you aim for 27"+ monitors and or / 4K, then this ain't enough. needz moar powa'. :D
My current monitor is 24" 1080p from 2008
If I get a new one it probably won't be bigger than 27" or 1080p

Is it simple to get this working with a TV?

LilJoka

How often do y'all upgrade your video cards? I know it's "whenever you run out of performance" but I'm curious how frequent it really is.

I seem to get about 3-3.5 years out of my cards, and typically buy something in the $250-$300 range.

Student:
~£150 Ati 4850 sept 2008 - didnt sell
£200 Ati 5850 sept 2010 - sold in 2014 £55

Had a Job:
£500 GTX 780 march 2013 - sold in 2014 £235

Student:
£270 GTX 970 oct 2014

For me every 1.5-2years, but depends on prices, deals and if new cards are really a step up.

The problem with PC performance in general is that video card performance is far outpacing CPU speed.

I have a 2500k @ 4.8 and a 290x, and I am CPU limited in every game I play Vsycned at 60fps. I realize that the newer 4000 and 5000 series are much better, but the fact remains the same as we try and push 120+ hz monitors that to achieve those frame rates it's mostly CPU technology that needs to improve, and not GPU.

Tendo

Dang. Anyone know if Best Buy sells HD's in store? I know I'll pay a premium and can get better online but I really need something today if possible. What a pain haha.

I'm buying the i5 4690k in January but before I buy it, are there any new cpus I should be worried about... For example nobody wants to buy the nexus 5 when the nexus 6 is out the next week

Dave_6

Also have you looked at the Corsair Air 540? It is a great design and all of the cables go in the back out of sight out of mind. With 2 GPUs (vs my 3) you'd get excellent air cooling and if you wanted to go water you could do that too:

14451944801_8e93b4ae86_c.jpg

14454183774_d9aaa67f98_c.jpg

I have the H100 is push/pull too. I saw you mention that in an earlier post.

If I had more room on my desk I'd so get this case and get rid of my R4.

I think it's finally time for me to upgrade my video card. My CPU died earlier in the year and I built a new machine but kept my old video card.

i5 4670k @ 4Ghz
MSI Z87-G45
8GB RAM
Radeon HD 5850

I'm waffling between the R9 290X and the GTX 970 while leaning towards the GTX 970 because apparently it runs cooler and consumes much less power. The R9 290X has more Shader Units and is 512-bit bus versus the GTX 970 which is 256-bit bus but the benchmarks seem to point towards the GTX 970 so I'm not sure how much those other numbers really mean. I'm still only playing at 1080p but I might move to 4K in the next couple years depending on how the prices come down on the monitors.

GPUBoss seems to recommend the 970. Any thoughts on the two from the GAF hivemind?

appaws

Banned

The Enthoo Luxe is the better case without question.

Not that Corsair cases are terrible or anything. I use an Air 540, and the dual chamber design will make anybody good at cable routing. I also think that the newer 780T is quite a nice case.

This is a good time for cases. There are a lot of good choices out there, even at the sub-$100 price point. The S340 is great for $69 and I am also impressed with what I have seen of the new Thermaltake V41 case for $89.

I think it's finally time for me to upgrade my video card. My CPU died earlier in the year and I built a new machine but kept my old video card.

i5 4670k @ 4Ghz
MSI Z87-G45
8GB RAM
Radeon HD 5850

I'm waffling between the R9 290X and the GTX 970 while leaning towards the GTX 970 because apparently it runs cooler and consumes much less power. The R9 290X has more Shader Units and is 512-bit bus versus the GTX 970 which is 256-bit bus but the benchmarks seem to point towards the GTX 970 so I'm not sure how much those other numbers really mean. I'm still only playing at 1080p but I might move to 4K in the next couple years depending on how the prices come down on the monitors.

GPUBoss seems to recommend the 970. Any thoughts on the two from the GAF hivemind?

Gaf hivemind will most likely favor the 970. But what do I know, I have a 970.

There is no such a thing as a "gaf hivemind". There are good reasons to go with AMD just like Nvidia.

I just used his word. Basically I mean if there were one, I think it would choose the 970.

But as I said, what do I know. I have the 970 but I love AMD, my old trusty laptop has served me 4 years without fail.

garath

i5 4670k @ 4Ghz
MSI Z87-G45
8GB RAM
Radeon HD 5850

I'd go 970:

- better performance
- lower power consumption
- much lower temps
- Nvidia specific tricks are neat

The only reason I'd say a 290x was if you could find it for a SIGNIFICANTLY lower price.

LilJoka

i5 4670k @ 4Ghz
MSI Z87-G45
8GB RAM
Radeon HD 5850

The only paper spec that matters is VRAM. Forget the rest and trust the benchmarks. Then look at power and temperatures/noise.

You'll find that the 970 wins the majority of times. Then get the MSI Gamer version and overclock it to get 980 performance.

I have a question, guys:

I want to increase / upgrade the memory on my computer. This is what I have now:
6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module (Kingston HyperX)

This is the motherboard I have:
Gigabyte Intel X58 ATX DDR3 2200 LGA 1366 Motherboard GA-G1.GUERRILLA

I found a list of compatible memory, but I'm not sure how to go about selecting something.

For the purposes of gaming, what's good in terms of amount of memory, brand, price, etc based on that compatibility chart?

M.D

Get what working with a TV? Your PC?
Just connect it via HDMI and you're done.
Maybe you'll fiddle around in NVIDIA Control Panel (overscan, underscan, etc.) but nothing major.
Enjoy your new rig!

That's great to hear.

I may try to do that to play some games on the TV instead of my monitor.

My dad kinda decided on his own that I'm gonna buy a 240GB SSD... what are the benefits of an SSD? Should I install Windows and games on it? It's a Patriot Blaze, anyone knows brand/series?

I have a question, guys:

I want to increase / upgrade the memory on my computer. This is what I have now:
6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module (Kingston HyperX)

This is the motherboard I have:
Gigabyte Intel X58 ATX DDR3 2200 LGA 1366 Motherboard GA-G1.GUERRILLA

I found a list of compatible memory, but I'm not sure how to go about selecting something.

For the purposes of gaming, what's good in terms of amount of memory, brand, price, etc based on that compatibility chart?

This can be a good upgrade for you.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...358&cm_re=g_skill_1600-_-20-231-358-_-Product

MetalDeer

My dad kinda decided on his own that I'm gonna buy a 240GB SSD... what are the benefits of an SSD? Should I install Windows and games on it? It's a Patriot Blaze, anyone knows brand/series?

Definitely put Windows on it, as it'll cut your boot times tremendously. As for games, I would just stick with a few larger games that you play often and have long load times.

Ok, thanks.

Is the difference between my current DDR3 1600MHz to this being DDR3 1333 MHz something to be concerned about? No idea what that means.

I also assume I could double this to 24GB if I ever wanted to?

That is the speed, I fixed the link, copied the wrong one.
This is the correct one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...sp=&AID=10446076&PID=6149513&SID=71788tnhz5vi

If you want to go 24GBs (you will have to ditch the set of 3 2GBs) then go for this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231359&cm_re=ddr3-_-20-231-359-_-Product

That is the speed, I fixed the link, copied the wrong one.
This is the correct one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...sp=&AID=10446076&PID=6149513&SID=71788tnhz5vi

If you want to go 24GBs (you will have to ditch the set of 3 2GBs) then go for this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231359&cm_re=ddr3-_-20-231-359-_-Product

this is great. thank you. one last question: When you say that I would need to ditch the (3) 2GBs, does that mean that the new 12GB would work with the existing 6GB if I just kept them all in and loaded the board up? ...So, it would be 18GB total? Or do i have to take out the existing 6GB either way?

this is great. thank you. one last question: When you say that I would need to ditch the (3) 2GBs, does that mean that the new 12GB would work with the existing 6GB if I just kept them all in and loaded the board up? ...So, it would be 18GB total? Or do i have to take out the existing 6GB either way?

Yeah, you can keep the existing 6GBs, just make sure to install them in the correct slots.
So, if your existing set are in the black slots then this new set will be in the green ones. Or vice versa.

MetalDeer

Thank you.

Also, forget to ask.. any thoughts on 4X4GB vs 2X8GB?

I'm not too well versed on this topic, but I think if your motherboard supports quad channel memory, you should go with 4x4GB, so you can take advantage of that feature. Otherwise, just get whatever saves you money.

Edit: Unless you actually might need more RAM in the future, I suppose. In that case, 2x8GB as said above. (You generally won't need more than 8GB right now for gaming, anyways.)

M.D

If you have a Z97 motherboard (dual channel), go with the 2 x 8 GB, that leaves you 2 slots to upgrade later.

I'm not too well versed on this topic, but I think if your motherboard supports quad channel memory, you should go with 4x4GB, so you can take advantage of that feature. Otherwise, just get whatever saves you money.

Edit: Unless you actually might need more RAM in the future, I suppose. In that case, 2x8GB as said above. (You generally won't need more than 8GB right now for gaming, anyways.)

I'm buying Z97X-GAMING 7, so its a dual channel
My actually made the order and he got 4X4GB for some reason

I'm gonna try call them tomorrow before the shipment leaves and see if I can change that

BTW, do the HDD and SSD go in the same place? I have an ANTEC 900 case and bought the GIGABYTE GTX 970 G1 which is quite big, and someone mentioned I'll have to remove hard disk cages to fit it in

I bought an SSD and a new 2TB hard drive, would they fit in? I also have this current 1TB HDD I'll want to use if I can fit it all in

appaws

Banned
G9RMaU0.png

Friend is looking to spend $600-$700, trying to squeeze the most out of his budget. Any suggestions/edits/recommendations on this current build?

No good. Read the OP and look at the builds there.

Replace the CPU and motherboard with a Pentium Anniversary (G3258) and Z97. AMD is not the way to go at any price point for the CPU. This will crush the 6300 performance wise and give a good upgrade path to Broadwell.

The rest looks good, just drop the optical drive...you don't need it.

No good. Read the OP and look at the builds there.

Replace the CPU and motherboard with a Pentium Anniversary (G3258) and Z97. AMD is not the way to go at any price point for the CPU. This will crush the 6300 performance wise and give a good upgrade path to Broadwell.

The rest looks good, just drop the optical drive...you don't need it.

edit: nvm

MetalDeer

BTW, do the HDD and SSD go in the same place? I have an ANTEC 900 case and bought the GIGABYTE GTX 970 G1 which is quite big, and someone mentioned I'll have to remove hard disk cages to fit it in

I bought an SSD and a new 2TB hard drive, would they fit in? I also have this current 1TB HDD I'll want to use if I can fit it all in

In most cases, yes. You may need a 2.5" to 3.5" bracket to properly mount it in the hard drive cage, though. Nothing too big to worry about, there's no moving parts in an SSD, so if you have to, you can just plug it in and set it on the bottom of the case or somewhere out of the way.

Most cases have hard drive cages meant for 3.5" drives, so there should be no issue with your other drives, assuming they're 3.5".

I took a quick look at that case, and if you do indeed have to remove the hard drive cage to get your GPU to fit, you might want to send it back and get something else, because it looks like it's all one part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom