• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Cool. Is there any solution to playing fps mouse + kb from the couch? I've seen some that just look like pretty bad TV trays.
http://www.steigerdynamics.com/productcart/pc/configurePrd.asp?idproduct=375

couchmaster-gray.png

Weetrick

PC only? Is the quality of sound a big part of it, or is the virtualized surround much more important?

I only plan on using it for PC. As far as audio/surround quality, I guess a mix of both? I'm not an audiophile but I'd like the best bang for my buck (at that price range). Sorry for being so vague but I'm just looking for overall quality.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So Anand reviewed the big honkin' 34in 21:9 monitor and was satisfied with it. :eek:
I'm just kinda wondering if making the decision to drive a 3440x1440 display from a small formfactor unit is a great decision for a carefree future. I guess maybe we'll have to see what the 880 class of cards looks like performance wise. Adding anything bigger than that class of card would require significant case modding.

mkenyon

Banned
Is this noise normal for a h100i?

http://vocaroo.com/i/s02RjBebGDgY

Recorded with an iPhone a little above the case (it is closed).

I sent an email canceling the order but they sent me it anyway, so I decided to try it before sending it back and it is worst than my air cooler.
That's the pump not getting full power. Plug the power directly into a molex connector on your PSU.
I only plan on using it for PC. As far as audio/surround quality, I guess a mix of both? I'm not an audiophile but I'd like the best bang for my buck (at that price range). Sorry for being so vague but I'm just looking for overall quality.
The "surround sound" headsets at that price are honestly garbage in terms of quality. You get essentially $20 headphones inflated in price due to the other "features". Razer has some software that you can use to get the same sort surround virtualization technology that these use, and then get a decent pair like those in the OP.

Looking for your input. It would be greatly appreciated as I've always wanted to build a PC, but while I'm pretty good with computers and don't think I'll have much trouble in construction either, this is all quite new to me. Here's the build I've got currently in mind:

-Intel Core i5-4690K Processor 3.9 4 BX80646I54690K --> $239.99
-EVGA GeForce GTX760 SuperClocked w/EVGA ACX Cooler 2GB GDDR5 256bit --> $241.99 (I'd certainly listen to advice on this, particularly in a Nvidia vs. AMD sense.)
-Gigabyte GA-Z97X​-UD3H LGA 1150 Z97 Ultral Durable UEFI DualBIOS ATX Motherboard --> $139.99
-ADATA USA XPG V1.0 OC Series 8GB DDR3 1866MHZ PC3 14900 4GBx2 --> $85.99
-Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply --> $109.99
-Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - $30.99
-Phanteks Enthoo Pro - $89.99
-(Already have an SSD and HD)
-Toss in a copy of windows and a keyboard --> $110

Total with Tax & Shipping --> $1012.50

1.) Feel free to suggest areas of change. (Whether they be cost savings or suggestions for getting more out of the system; I'm open to whatever opinions folks have.) I'm not in a rush, but I wouldn't mind building it sooner rather than later. I certainly won't spend much more than I currently would on this build. This will be a gaming PC and little more.

2.) I've got a PS4. I know well that it isn't a powerhouse, but given the level of optimization that comparatively gets put into closed systems, and the cost, the products that result on the platform have looked quite good. Before I can embark on this PC journey though, what I need to know is, "Will I see a substantial and meaningful difference on multiplatform games, for at least the next 2-3 years, by investing this money in a PC?"

Things to consider when answering:
1.) 1080p is important to me. I plan on playing on a large TV and a relatively substantial monitor. My games need to run at 1080p. (No need for higher.)
2.) I want to run my games at equal or better levels to the PS4 in all other areas. (Things like textures are important to me.) So generally high settings I suppose.
3.) 60pfs is not important to me, 30fps is fine, but I definitely don't want things like screen tearing or significant dips if I'm at 30.
4.) This system needs to last me a minimum of 2 years without an upgrade. I would be willing to look into a new video card 2-3 years from now, but this is a substantial investment, and I don't want to be looking at throwing more money into it any time soon.
5.) A specific example, and I know no one knows for sure right now, but I want to run The Witcher 2 and The Witcher 3 at better than console standards.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

LilJoka

Do they ship with SATA power connectors now? Yeah, use that. Just don't use the PWM fan header, or also make sure that is set to max in BIOS if you have to for some reason.

Ships with SATA power plug, and a 3pin plug for pump rpm readout.

Sounds to me like another broken corsair hydro, or air in the system.

Looking for your input. It would be greatly appreciated as I've always wanted to build a PC, but while I'm pretty good with computers and don't think I'll have much trouble in construction either, this is all quite new to me. Here's the build I've got currently in mind:

-Intel Core i5-4690K Processor 3.9 4 BX80646I54690K --> $239.99
-EVGA GeForce GTX760 SuperClocked w/EVGA ACX Cooler 2GB GDDR5 256bit --> $241.99 (I'd certainly listen to advice on this, particularly in a Nvidia vs. AMD sense.)
-Gigabyte GA-Z97X​-UD3H LGA 1150 Z97 Ultral Durable UEFI DualBIOS ATX Motherboard --> $139.99
-ADATA USA XPG V1.0 OC Series 8GB DDR3 1866MHZ PC3 14900 4GBx2 --> $85.99
-Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply --> $109.99
-Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - $30.99
-Phanteks Enthoo Pro - $89.99
-(Already have an SSD and HD)
-Toss in a copy of windows and a keyboard --> $110

Total with Tax & Shipping --> $1012.50

1.) Feel free to suggest areas of change. (Whether they be cost savings or suggestions for getting more out of the system; I'm open to whatever opinions folks have.) I'm not in a rush, but I wouldn't mind building it sooner rather than later. I certainly won't spend much more than I currently would on this build. This will be a gaming PC and little more.

2.) I've got a PS4. I know well that it isn't a powerhouse, but given the level of optimization that comparatively gets put into closed systems, and the cost, the products that result on the platform have looked quite good. Before I can embark on this PC journey though, what I need to know is, "Will I see a substantial and meaningful difference on multiplatform games, for at least the next 2-3 years, by investing this money in a PC?"

Things to consider when answering:
1.) 1080p is important to me. I plan on playing on a large TV and a relatively substantial monitor. My games need to run at 1080p. (No need for higher.)
2.) I want to run my games at equal or better levels to the PS4 in all other areas. (Things like textures are important to me.) So generally high settings I suppose.
3.) 60pfs is not important to me, 30fps is fine, but I definitely don't want things like screen tearing or significant dips if I'm at 30.
4.) This system needs to last me a minimum of 2 years without an upgrade. I would be willing to look into a new video card 2-3 years from now, but this is a substantial investment, and I don't want to be looking at throwing more money into it any time soon.
5.) A specific example, and I know no one knows for sure right now, but I want to run The Witcher 2 and The Witcher 3 at better than console standards.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

You don't need a 750 watt gold rated psu for that build. Downgrade and save some money, also buy a copy of windows on reddit and and a keyboard for like 40 bucks then take that extra 100+ and buy a GTX 770. That'll make sure you get the most out of this comp for 2-3 years.

mkenyon

Banned
You don't need a 750 watt gold rated psu for that build. Downgrade and save some money, also buy a copy of windows on reddit and and a keyboard for like 40 bucks then take that extra 100+ and buy a GTX 770. That'll make sure you get the most out of this comp for 2-3 years.
I agree with this, but my suggestion would be to snag a deal on a R9 290 instead of a 760/770.

kiyomi

Drop the PSU down to 550W/600W, any single GPU won't need more than that. Buy a copy of Windows off r/Softwareswap and use the money you saved doing both those things to get yourself one of those bargain used R9 290s.

I agree with this, but my suggestion would be to snag a deal on a R9 290 instead of a 760/770.

Most certainly go for a R9 290 if it is available for the price, I haven't been checking my prices recently but a R9 290 goes toe to toe with the 780 in most games. So as usual listen to Kenyon's advice.

Drop the PSU down to 550W/600W, any single GPU won't need more than that. Buy a copy of Windows off r/Softwareswap and use the money you saved doing both those things to get yourself one of those bargain used R9 290s.

Thanks! So drop down the PSU, and look at upgrading the GPU. If I look at GPUs that large, am I going to need to look at some type of additional cooling solution for that card?

Edit: And when you folks mention the R9 290 "deal" what sort of "deal" prices should I be looking for. I've largely been finding my best prices on Amazon given the lack of tax and delivery charge, but I can look elsewhere as long we we're talking about something reputable. Once again, thanks a lot for the advice.

ghibli99

From my perspective, I'd say YES. I was somewhat active in the OC thread back in 2012 (I think), and I still have the same old hardware: an i7-920 @ 4GHz and a GTX-670 @ +126MHz GPU/+775MHz MEM. At 2560x1440, I can run just about everything at sub-Ultra settings and get 60fps almost across the board. Full Ultra yields about 30-40fps. At Ultra 1080p -- maybe with some compromises here and there -- I still get around 60fps, although I don't like running non-native on PC. Sometimes I'll do it, though... I liked playing Tomb Raider in Ultra in 1080p60. I know you say 60fps+ isn't important, but I think you'll really come to appreciate it as you see it consistently across all/most of your PC games.

kiyomi

Thanks! So drop down the PSU, and look at upgrading the GPU. If I look at GPUs that large, am I going to need to look at some type of additional cooling solution for that card?

Nope, just make sure you don't get one with the reference cooler. Gigabyte, MSI, Asus, Sapphire are all fine.

No, you will be fine without buying extra cooling. If you find a non-referance R9 290 it will be more than adequate for your cooling needs.

Cels

I'm planning on building a PC in the near future. I'm getting by right now with my laptop but the goal is to have my system done by the time Witcher 3 is out (Feb 2015), so I can live with buying parts over a longer period of time.

I'm in the US, willing to spend about $1000 , main purpose is to play the latest PC games at 1920x1080/60fps. Don't care about PhysX/Supersampling/CUDA. No other special usage, just simple word processing and surfing.

Already have monitor/kb/m/headset/windows license, won't be reusing anything else. Dunno if I'll be overclocking yet.

My question is when should I start buying parts? Should I be on the lookout right now?

Cause I saw this on slickdeals this morning, wondering if it's worth a purchase considering my budget and extended timeline http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9105930&CatId=7387 (4GB R9 270X + 550W PSU for $200 after rebates)

I'm planning on building a PC in the near future. I'm getting by right now with my laptop but the goal is to have my system done by the time Witcher 3 is out (Feb 2015), so I can live with buying parts over a longer period of time.

I'm in the US, willing to spend about $1000 , main purpose is to play the latest PC games at 1920x1080/60fps. Don't care about PhysX/Supersampling/CUDA. No other special usage, just simple word processing and surfing.

Already have monitor/kb/m/headset/windows license, won't be reusing anything else. Dunno if I'll be overclocking yet.

My question is when should I start buying parts? Should I be on the lookout right now?

Cause I saw this on slickdeals this morning, wondering if it's worth a purchase considering my budget and extended timeline http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9105930&CatId=7387 (4GB R9 270X + 550W PSU for $200 after rebates)

If I were you, I'd be on the lookout for things like good quality cases, power supplies, HDDs/SSDs, fans coolers etc. Then for things like CPU, GPU, Mobo wait till you are ready to purchase as there are sales and new parts coming out frequently. If you buy that 270x and PSU now, but don't build the comp till Feb there is a very good chance you could get a much better card for the same price a few months down the line. Nvidia is going to release its 8XX series and AMD is rumored to have a new flagship coming soon which will further push the prices of other cards down.

Nope, just make sure you don't get one with the reference cooler. Gigabyte, MSI, Asus, Sapphire are all fine.

No, you will be fine without buying extra cooling. If you find a non-referance R9 290 it will be more than adequate for your cooling needs.

Any suggestions on the price of a 290?
I found this one at amazon that appears non-reference for $391.99 new. (Only seemed to see cheaper used ones that were reference.) Should I be gunning for used and cheaper? Looking elsewhere?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HWSATI6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And would this PSU be adequate at this point?
Corsair Builder Series CX 600 Watt ATX/EPS 80 PLUS for $65.26
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0092ML0OC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Any suggestions on the price of a 290?
I found this one at amazon that appears non-reference for $391.99 new. (Only seemed to see cheaper used ones that were reference.) Should I be gunning for used and cheaper? Looking elsewhere?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HWSATI6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

You can grab a miner card for under $300 on ebay. Think of it as the card has been stress tested for you. And if you're really worried, just buy a brand that transfers warranty.

mkenyon

Banned
You can grab a miner card for under $300 on ebay. Think of it as the card has been stress tested for you. And if you're really worried, just buy a brand that transfers warranty.
Either this, or just wait for deals to pup up. On Amazon, for instance, they were selling Warehouse deal 290Xs for $330. If you can afford to spend a week or two for something like that to pop up, that's your best bet.

This is the best available for the price right now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Thanks for the tip. Definitely some good prices there.

Just to clarify, the "reference" 290s are the ones with the single fan on one side, like this, correct?

At least for now, I think that does it for my questions. The help has been much appreciated.

Either this, or just wait for deals to pup up. On Amazon, for instance, they were selling Warehouse deal 290Xs for $330. If you can afford to spend a week or two for something like that to pop up, that's your best bet.

This is the best available for the price right now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Thanks!

I'm finally getting ready to build, and I've decided that I will not have any 3.5 or 5.25 inch drives, and that I'm going to go entirely SSD.

I've decided that I'm going to with this type of solution for the SSD:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MWDRD6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Theoretically, I can get away with 0 Drive bays!

Does anyone sell a case with 0 drive bays?
I can only think of tiny ITX cases with removable HDD cages like this. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112373

What size are you looking for?

mkenyon

Banned
I'm finally getting ready to build, and I've decided that I will not have any 3.5 or 5.25 inch drives, and that I'm going to go entirely SSD.

I've decided that I'm going to with this type of solution for the SSD:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MWDRD6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Theoretically, I can get away with 0 Drive bays!

Does anyone sell a case with 0 drive bays?
To make it even cheaper, you can literally just tape the SSD wherever you want with some double sided tape.

There aren't any cases with zero drive bays, but there are a number where most/all are removable.

Blitzhex

Hey guys, im upgrading my hafx, nforce 790i, q9550 3.8ghz to a 4690k, gene vii z97 and corsair 350d.
Does it sound like a good upgrade? I'll be ocing the new cpu to the max with a corsair closed loop.
Will I run in to any problems going from a hafx to 350d? It seems like it has more than enough space.
I don't know how I can fit my titanium hd soundcard on the mobo though, without it blocking my gfx card's fans.

kennah

So Anand reviewed the big honkin' 34in 21:9 monitor and was satisfied with it. :eek:
I'm just kinda wondering if making the decision to drive a 3440x1440 display from a small formfactor unit is a great decision for a carefree future. I guess maybe we'll have to see what the 880 class of cards looks like performance wise. Adding anything bigger than that class of card would require significant case modding.
I think until distributed computing is a thing - SFF will never be the cutting edge. As long as those displays need a multi gpu to get the most out of them anyway.

I think of SFF as being competive without being top of the line. Who knows if the 800 series will e enough. I kind of doubt it judging by how the last couple gens have gone. But id love to be wrong.

Stat!

I tried to create a parts list from the techreport guide and OP but I'm very much a beginner. I currently own a Macbook Pro.

Budget: 1000-1200 Canadian (Trying to get closer to 1000 so I can buy peripherals such as keyboards, controller, headset)
Main Usage: Gaming
Deadline: Soon
Ideally, I'd love for this to last for 4-5 years with minimal upgrading (maybe not downgrading everything) even if I have to play on lower settings but figured I'd just ask. Do I need a CPU Cooler? Im not sure on the PSU and case too.

Here are the new specs based on your recommendations.

750D is a huge(full tower) case man, and overkill if you aren't going to be water cooling and having 2-4 graphics cards. Mid Tower cases are more than enough for most people.

Edit: Try the 450D. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-case-cc9011049ww

Edit2: You don't need a cooler if you don't plan to overclock. The CPU will come with the stock cooler. If you do though, something like at least a Cooler Master Plus EVO is recommended. But if you plan to never overclock, you can get a cheaper non-oc motherboard and the cheaper non-k version of the CPU as well.

Edit3 You'll want to upgrade the GPU in about 2 years if you want to play on higher settings.

This for the most part is the right direction I think. Maybe a few suggestions...

1. I agree with the poster above that you picked a very big case. Nothing wrong with it, it is a good one....but you don't need a big full tower for a standard gaming build...unless you are planning on leaving the door open for things like water cooling down the road. One of the mid-towers in the OP might be great for you if that is not the case, like the Fractal R4 (quiet) or the Enthoo Pro (new hotness).

2. Yes you should get a CPU cooler. Something like the CM 212+ is a good one and not expensive. This will enable you to do your first basic overclocking and keep things nice and cool...

3. You should get low profile ram, something like Corsair Vengance LP or G. Skill Ares....it can be a pain to fit a heatsink on when you have big things sticking out of the top of your RAM. They don't do anything anyway.

4. I advise sticking with the Z97 and the "k" series chip. Even if you think you will never overclock at all....you probably will if you are the type of guy who comes to this thread and builds your own machine! Really though, it is super easy free performance with just a few clicks.

5. There are posters here who are bigger PSU experts than me...but I am pretty sure that is quite a good one. The only question it raises is that you may be able to save a little there with a different one. You don't need 750w for a standard gaming build these days...550 would probably do. However, if you are thinking ahead to maybe SLI or something like that and want to leave yourself some headroom, that's cool too.

Ive never overclocked before and Im totally not sure what it does, the benefits, the disadvantages, and what I need to do if I overclock. Like I said, this is my first PC build ever.

I changed the PSU, added a cooler, and case but curious overall if I can get even cheaper.

How is this? PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($269.99 @ Memory Express)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($32.50 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($82.69 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.97 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($279.75 @ Vuugo)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($114.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Memory Express)
Total: $1189.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Rur0ni

So okay to mismatch resolutions and 60hz &120hz?
Yeah, doesn't cause an issue. They have to be configured independently anyway. Like my tri-monitor setup, I have to set each of them to 144hz individually. It's possible to run them at different Hz.

Anyone have experience with Gigabyte's tech support? I opened a tech ticket about 2-3 days ago because my card is still a mess and no change in the status (still shows as 'new').

mkenyon

Banned
Anyone have experience with Gigabyte's tech support? I opened a tech ticket about 2-3 days ago because my card is still a mess and no change in the status (still shows as 'new').
Have RMA'd two motherboards through them, both were easy. It could be that it was the weekend, and they're just getting caught up today.

mkenyon

Banned
Easy motherboard RMAs?

I know who I'm buying my next board from...
YMMV

I'm lucky (or stupid) enough to have duplicates of everything, so I can swap parts from one to the other to confirm something in specific doesn't work.
Sounds like another suicidal move from Amd.

What's the worst possible scenario for Mantle ?

Strong cpu with weak gpu.

So which intel cpus benefit most ?

Low end pentiums/i3

Which market sector is last one where Amd cpus have chance ?

Lowest of low end.
Only a tiny portion of AMD's revenue is from FX series processors these days. If it means more GPU marketshare, it'd probably be an overall win.

Plus they can always count on poor advice from TekSyndicate and /r/BuildaPC for some sales.

Katsa

Banned
I am having a tough time finding a motherboard for my new PC build.

I was able to snag an i7 4930k for a great price, so I couldn't pass it up. However, I already have the BitFenix Prodigy case which is a mini-ITX case. So, now I am looking for an mITX board with an LG2011 socket, and I can't seem to find one.

Any help is appreciate!

kharma45

I was able to snag an i7 4930k for a great price, so I couldn't pass it up. However, I already have the BitFenix Prodigy case which is a mini-ITX case. So, now I am looking for an mITX board with an LG2011 socket, and I can't seem to find one.

Any help is appreciate!

There aren't any to my knowledge. Smallest you can go is mATX iirc.

kennah

Any help is appreciate!
Teehee. There are none.

Unless you want to buy and gut a Shuttle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom