• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my 4790k installed. Come from a i7 950.

Performance on CPU intensive games has massively increased for me, stuff like Far Cry 3 run so, so much better. Getting a new cooler tomorrow too, so looking forward to some overclocking.

Where did you get it from, I'm hoping to walk into Microcenter and snag one on Wednesday.

General PC question.

I have issues playing different games in full screen with 2 monitors. I want my game in the left monitor which it does and then I want a stream, for example: MLG Anaheim on my right screen. This seems like it should be easy but it gets messed up a lot. Any ideas?

jett

D-Member
so guys, I have a question: I'm currently running a 280X, 3570k occ'ed to 4.0, Extreme4 Z77 mobo, am I future proof or would you suggest a new CPU/GPU for games like The Witcher 3?

I have a similar PC to yours and I run The Witcher 2 at 1080p over 60fps with everything maxed out (except "ubersampling"). If I can't run TW3 at a steady 30fps I'll be really disappointed.

General PC question.

I have issues playing different games in full screen with 2 monitors. I want my game in the left monitor which it does and then I want a stream, for example: MLG Anaheim on my right screen. This seems like it should be easy but it gets messed up a lot. Any ideas?

People here have told me Windows is the culprit for framerate issues of that sort, but I didn't have any issues with a multiscreen setup with much shittier hardware than I have now. Probably a mix of hardware, software drivers and god knows what. If I have a multiscreen setup while playing a game my framerate not only tanks, it get limited to 30fps. Videos randomly stutter. Streaming videos become choppy as hell. Why? Who fucking knows. I'm still pissed about it. :p I actually have less usability with this $1000 computer than I had on my C2D from 2007. Computers are just fucking shit, something I learned a long ass time ago.

After a week or two, I finally sold my Antec P280 on Craigslist. Got $50. It was taking up space in my new small apartment and I won it in a contest. No one was biting for $75. I have to decide if I want to sell my EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB or not. I was going to keep it in case my 780 Ti dies, but I could use the money and clear up more space. Hmmmm.

Stat!

I tried to create a parts list from the techreport guide and OP but I'm very much a beginner. I currently own a Macbook Pro.

Budget: 1000-1200 Canadian (Trying to get closer to 1000 so I can buy peripherals such as keyboards, controller, headset)
Main Usage: Gaming
Deadline: Soon
Ideally, I'd love for this to last for 4-5 years with minimal upgrading (maybe not downgrading everything) even if I have to play on lower settings but figured I'd just ask. Do I need a CPU Cooler? Im not sure on the PSU and case too.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($269.99 @ Memory Express)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($84.77 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.97 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($279.75 @ Vuugo)
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case ($139.99 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.88 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $1194.33
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

I tried to create a parts list from the techreport guide and OP but I'm very much a beginner. I currently own a Macbook Pro.

Budget: 1000-1200 Canadian (Trying to get closer to 1000 so I can buy peripherals such as keyboards, controller, headset)
Ideally, I'd love for this to last for 4-5 years with minimal upgrading (maybe not downgrading everything) even if I have to play on lower settings but figured I'd just ask. Do I need a CPU Cooler? Im not sure on the PSU and case too.

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($84.77 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.97 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.88 @ Canada Computers)

750D is a huge(full tower) case man, and overkill if you aren't going to be water cooling and having 2-4 graphics cards. Mid Tower cases are more than enough for most people.

Edit: Try the 450D. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-case-cc9011049ww

Edit2: You don't need a cooler if you don't plan to overclock. The CPU will come with the stock cooler. If you do though, something like at least a Cooler Master Plus EVO is recommended. But if you plan to never overclock, you can get a cheaper non-oc motherboard and the cheaper non-k version of the CPU as well.

Edit3 You'll want to upgrade the GPU in about 2 years if you want to play on higher settings.

Burt

Ugh, so I built my first computer the other week, and everything's been running marvelously. Last couple days, it started randomly shutting down every once in a while. Not a big deal, thank god for SSDs, but a little annoying and I couldn't figure out what was causing it. Figured it was some software thing. Come back after dinner tonight and it's off again, and now refuses to turn back on.

Maybe half the time I press the power button it'll flash on for 1-3 seconds, then everything'll just wind down and turn off. Never got any BSODs and the hardware is all installed fine, so I'm 90% sure my brand new power supply just broke on me. Definitely has the feel of the power just not making it into the computer more than anything else. It's a Corsair CX750m, and going by the newegg reviews, dead units aren't incredibly uncommon. Damn annoying though.

I'm going to run back to Microcenter tomorrow and see if I can get a replacement. Corsair has a 3-year parts and service warranty on it, and the Microcenter site says that they're willing to replace parts that aren't working as intended. Anyone with any experience know what my odds are for not having to fork over the cash for a new PSU? Any ideas about what it might be other than the PSU so I won't have to get Microcenter to test the whole system and charge me for running the tests? And, can a PSU dying like that cause any damage to other parts in the system? A Newegg review said that they had a PCI slot get fried when it happened, but I'm not one to put too much faith in those sorts of things.

Edit: oh yeah, system was a 2500k overclocked to 4.4 and an R9 280 (not x) with some minor overclocking.

Goldenhen

Ugh, so I built my first computer the other week, and everything's been running marvelously. Last couple days, it started randomly shutting down every once in a while. Not a big deal, thank god for SSDs, but a little annoying and I couldn't figure out what was causing it. Figured it was some software thing. Come back after dinner tonight and it's off again, and now refuses to turn back on.

Maybe half the time I press the power button it'll flash on for 1-3 seconds, then everything'll just wind down and turn off. Never got any BSODs and the hardware is all installed fine, so I'm 90% sure my brand new power supply just broke on me. Definitely has the feel of the power just not making it into the computer more than anything else. It's a Corsair CX750m, and going by the newegg reviews, dead units aren't incredibly uncommon. Damn annoying though.

I'm going to run back to Microcenter tomorrow and see if I can get a replacement. Corsair has a 3-year parts and service warranty on it, and the Microcenter site says that they're willing to replace parts that aren't working as intended. Anyone with any experience know what my odds are for not having to fork over the cash for a new PSU? Any ideas about what it might be other than the PSU so I won't have to get Microcenter to test the whole system and charge me for running the tests? And, can a PSU dying like that cause any damage to other parts in the system? A Newegg review said that they had a PCI slot get fried when it happened, but I'm not one to put too much faith in those sorts of things.

Edit: oh yeah, system was a 2500k overclocked to 4.4 and an R9 280 (not x) with some minor overclocking.
Should have gone with RM series. CX is for basic desktop entry level PSU.

scogoth

Also check your heatsink. This kind of behaviour can also be the CPU overheating and shutting down to protect itself.

Reading some stuff on the 800 series and now it's expected to drop in the 4th quarter. Is that correct? Is it safe to assume an 880 Ti is likely not going to drop this year based on how they release those TIs in the past? My issue is I wanted a new rig up for gaming around October for Dragon Age and I was thinking about getting a 780 Ti. I don't think I'll be able to take advantage of the step up program though because 880 Ti will probably take longer than 3 months. So, I was thinking of possibly going with a 780 and then using a program like Evga's and stepping up to a 880. I know we don't have true specs yet but do you think that would be smart? I'd hate to not get that game and just wait trying to avoid spoilers on the internet. It would be hard as hell especially on social media.

I will admit I'm not fully aware at how Evga's program works though. Is it possible to extend it? Probably not but I thought I'd ask anyway. I'm sure a 780 Ti will be more powerful than an 880(I would hope) and it will be a great GPU for awhile, I just want to get the most for my money. Blah. I guess I shouldn't worry about it this early anyway but should probably ask this question a few months from now...

I almost hope I start seeing delays in some games...it would make my decision to just wait around much easier.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

I'd check the CPU mount (remount) and replug all power and data connectors first. Check your temps too. Sounds like overheating issue to me.
Should have gone with RM series. CX is for basic desktop entry level PSU.
Don't see why would you say that. CX units are more than enough and you are just talking build quality / power efficiency / failure rates above that. I'm not the biggest fan of the CX units, but they aren't bad units by any means.
Reading some stuff on the 800 series and now it's expected to drop in the 4th quarter. Is that correct? Is it safe to assume an 880 Ti is likely not going to drop this year based on how they release those TIs in the past? My issue is I wanted a new rig up for gaming around October for Dragon Age and I was thinking about getting a 780 Ti. I don't think I'll be able to take advantage of the step up program though because 880 Ti will probably take longer than 3 months. So, I was thinking of possibly going with a 780 and then using a program like Evga's and stepping up to a 880. I know we don't have true specs yet but do you think that would be smart? I'd hate to not get that game and just wait trying to avoid spoilers on the internet. It would be hard as hell especially on social media.

I will admit I'm not fully aware at how Evga's program works though. Is it possible to extend it? Probably not but I thought I'd ask anyway. I'm sure a 780 Ti will be more powerful than an 880(I would hope) and it will be a great GPU for awhile, I just want to get the most for my money. Blah. I guess I shouldn't worry about it this early anyway but should probably ask this question a few months from now...

I almost hope I start seeing delays in some games...it would make my decision to just wait around much easier.
Rumors and I'd expect possible delays. IIRC they've let people bump up step up before on major launches but it's not a guarantee. I'd just wait a bit more, dunno what you are on now.

Sarcasm

That 1440p IPS panel is iffy to me and I live in Taiwan so I don't think I can really buy from eBay.

Any other options? I really don't know how to shop for monitors like for key things.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
That 1440p IPS panel is iffy to me and I live in Taiwan so I don't think I can really buy from eBay.

Any other options? I really don't know how to shop for monitors like for key things.
There should be plenty of 1440p panels in some giant electronics mall near you right?

Hazaro, I believe it was you in the past that said EVGA warranties transfer over. How does that work? The only thing I found says that if I sell my card, the buyer's warranty would only be 3 years from the time the card shipped from the factory, not when I purchased/registered it. I'm thinking about selling my EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB card for $200 if I can get a buyer.

appaws

Banned

This for the most part is the right direction I think. Maybe a few suggestions...

1. I agree with the poster above that you picked a very big case. Nothing wrong with it, it is a good one....but you don't need a big full tower for a standard gaming build...unless you are planning on leaving the door open for things like water cooling down the road. One of the mid-towers in the OP might be great for you if that is not the case, like the Fractal R4 (quiet) or the Enthoo Pro (new hotness).

2. Yes you should get a CPU cooler. Something like the CM 212+ is a good one and not expensive. This will enable you to do your first basic overclocking and keep things nice and cool...

3. You should get low profile ram, something like Corsair Vengance LP or G. Skill Ares....it can be a pain to fit a heatsink on when you have big things sticking out of the top of your RAM. They don't do anything anyway.

4. I advise sticking with the Z97 and the "k" series chip. Even if you think you will never overclock at all....you probably will if you are the type of guy who comes to this thread and builds your own machine! Really though, it is super easy free performance with just a few clicks.

5. There are posters here who are bigger PSU experts than me...but I am pretty sure that is quite a good one. The only question it raises is that you may be able to save a little there with a different one. You don't need 750w for a standard gaming build these days...550 would probably do. However, if you are thinking ahead to maybe SLI or something like that and want to leave yourself some headroom, that's cool too.

maneil99

A 780 Ti won't be faster then a 880GTX even if it's 28nm, I'd bet a 50$ steam game on it :)

Arsin

A few quick questions. I have a 780 TI and after about 5 min in most games I can hear the fan running quite loud. Is there anything that I can do to make it less loud, outside of water cooling, or am I out of luck?

Also I have a Corsair H100 for my CPU cooling, would the Noctua NH-D14 be better and more quiet?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
SUPERNOVA 750W for $100 is great.
Yea but how do I know if its good? I am not Chinese -.-
Smart phone and google model numbers is what I would do. Search the yellow electronics store website (I forgot what they are called).
Hazaro, I believe it was you in the past that said EVGA warranties transfer over. How does that work? The only thing I found says that if I sell my card, the buyer's warranty would only be 3 years from the time the card shipped from the factory, not when I purchased/registered it. I'm thinking about selling my EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB card for $200 if I can get a buyer.
http://www.evga.com/articles/00671/
Serial based. Yes.
A few quick questions. I have a 780 TI and after about 5 min in most games I can hear the fan running quite loud. Is there anything that I can do to make it less loud, outside of water cooling, or am I out of luck?

Also I have a Corsair H100 for my CPU cooling, would the Noctua NH-D14 be better and more quiet?
MSI Afterburner and make a fan curve.
BIOS fan control for H100.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Sweets. Any suggestions on the fan curve? First time using the program.
It's subjective to you and where your case is, etc.

I'd set the fan manually to 40, 50, 60, 70 and see which is bearable to you. Setup the curve based on that. If it's a card with 2 or 3 fans on nVidia you shouldn't have to go past 60% fan speed TBH.

So I have
CPU>AMD Phenom X3 8400(2.1GHz)
GPU>Sapphire Radeon HD 4830
RAM>DDR2 667
MB >NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE Chipset

My motherboard died and I was wondering if someone had a recommendation for a new MB that would be better for future upgrades. I still want to use my AMD CPU for a bit longer. I do enjoy my Graphics card for now its manageable but I will be upgrading it soon.

Edit: This is the model I bought forever ago.

So I have
CPU>AMD Phenom X3 8400(2.1GHz)
GPU>Sapphire Radeon HD 4830
RAM>DDR2 667
MB >NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE Chipset

My motherboard died and I was wondering if someone had a recommendation for a new MB that would be better for future upgrades. I still want to use my AMD CPU for a bit longer. I do enjoy my Graphics card for now its manageable but I will be upgrading it soon.

Edit: This is the model I bought forever ago.

Edit: Hmmm, these mobos might not be compatible since the computer you bought had 4 sticks of ram. The two mobos i found on newegg had either 2 DDR2 slots or 2 DDR2 and 2 DDR3. Have to go to sleep. Work early tomorrow.

Arsin

It's subjective to you and where your case is, etc.

I'd set the fan manually to 40, 50, 60, 70 and see which is bearable to you. Setup the curve based on that. If it's a card with 2 or 3 fans on nVidia you shouldn't have to go past 60% fan speed TBH.

Awesome! Thanks for the tips.

Buy from bigclothcraft. There's a whole thread on Neogaf about them. It is an amazing value proposition.

Building a cheap Office + whatever rig for my dad, keeping it really low budget, best bang for the buck.

Athlon x4 740
8gb RAM
MSI GTX 650
Thermaltake Munich 430W

Cheapest i3 would be twice the price, plus a 10 bucks more for the board, hence I went with a quad. Always nice to have just in case he ever decided to do something which gains more out of additional cores.
GTX 650 costs the same as a GT640, so why not go for the stronger one, even if he doesn't need it.

Any thoughts?
May try to reduce the cost even more and add an SSD with the savings.

Corum

Hi, my current PC which I built is now coming up to being 6 years old so I'm now wondering whether it's time to put it out to pasture (give to the parents ) or, maybe, I can upgrade it.

Your Current Specs:
Code:
1 x	AMD Radeon HD 6670 Graphics Card (1GB, PCI-Express, GDDR5)
1 x	Corsair 4GB Kit (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory Kit CL5 1.9V	
1 x	Asus P5Q PRO P45 Socket 775 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard	
1 x	Corsair 650W TX Series PSU - 120mm Fan, 80+% Efficiency, Single +12V Rail
1 x	Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Socket 775 (3.0GHz) 1333FSB 6MB L2 Cache Retail Boxed Processor	
1 x	Antec 300 Three Hundred Case
1 x	Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache - OEM
1 x	Samsung SM2032BW 20"TFT Monitor Widescreen 1680x1050 3000:1 300cd/m2 2ms
Budget: £800-1000 (United Kingdom)
Main Use: 3.5/4 - Gaming, Video Editing, Streaming games in HD.
Monitor Resolution: 1080p - New monitor
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: For cross-platform games (PS4/PC) my go-to system will be the PS4 but I want to catch-up with The Witcher 2, Arkham series and other classics of the past generation, preferably at 60fps but I'm not an FPS madman.
Looking to reuse any parts?: I'll re-use what I can from the components above but if needs be I don't mind starting from scratch.
When will you build?: No deadline.
Will you be overclocking?: No.

I appreciate the time someone has to help, thanks in advance.

JamiieCarter

Neo Member
Hello guys I'm looking at getting a gaming system, I was wondering if any of you could recommend any desktop PC's or hardware to look at. I'm an IT Systems Engineer with simply not enough time on my hands to scout for parts and great combinations.

Budget: £700-£800/Possibly push to £900.
Main Usage: Gaming.
Deadline: 1 month from now.

I'm looking at trying to get as close as possible specifications to the:

Titan Envy M Intel Core i7 @4.2Ghz Over-clocked without paying just over £1200 for it.

At the moment I can find the following for but I would like to know if I can find better hardware elsewhere:

-------------------------------------------------------

Customizations:

CPU: NEW! Intel Core i7 4790

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87-HD3

RAM: NEW! 16GB Corsair 1866mhz Vengeance Pro (2x8GB)

Hard Drive: 2TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s

Optical Drive: 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2GB

Sound card: Onboard 7.1 Audio

Internet: Wireless 802.11N 300Mbps MIMO PCI-E card

Case: NEW! Corsair Graphite 230T

PSU: 550W Corsair VS

Warranty: 3 Year SureCare Warranty Product Subtotal: £834.1

Addnan

Hi, my current PC which I built is now coming up to being 6 years old so I'm now wondering whether it's time to put it out to pasture (give to the parents ) or, maybe, I can upgrade it.

Give it to the parents, that's too old to have any real upgrades. Start from scratch.

kharma45

Building a cheap Office + whatever rig for my dad, keeping it really low budget, best bang for the buck.

Athlon x4 740
8gb RAM
MSI GTX 650
Thermaltake Munich 430W

Cheapest i3 would be twice the price, plus a 10 bucks more for the board, hence I went with a quad. Always nice to have just in case he ever decided to do something which gains more out of additional cores.
GTX 650 costs the same as a GT640, so why not go for the stronger one, even if he doesn't need it.

Any thoughts?
May try to reduce the cost even more and add an SSD with the savings.

Why does he need a dedicated GPU for an office machine? Could you not ditch it and then just get an i3?

Start from scratch, would be the best.

Basically, the Great-Best value build in the OP is the one to aim for in this case.
Go with an i7, as it'll be worth it for video editing.
And you might jump on 16gb of RAM if you're serious about the editing stuff, as it will improve it a lot.
As for the GPU, go with a GTX 770 2gb. EVGA, MSI, Asus, all great manufactures

//

Why does he need a dedicated GPU for an office machine? Could you not ditch it and then just get an i3?

First my niece often stays at his place the whole weekend and plays games on his rig, not very demanding games, but enough that a dedicated GPU would be helpful at 1080p. Also, when he finally gets a new rig, after about 8 years, I'm more than sure he'll sooner or later, want to use his TV too to watch movies or something while working. I don't know much about today's iGPUs, but as for the AMD APUs, they get pretty hot without a decent cooler while under heavy load, and the boxed cooler will spin at 100%, that's why I'm not going to build one in there.

Corum

Give it to the parents, that's too old to have any real upgrades. Start from scratch.

Start from scratch, would be the best.

Basically, the Great-Best value build in the OP is the one to aim for in this case.
Go with an i7, as it'll be worth it for video editing.
And you might jump on 16gb of RAM if you're serious about the editing stuff, as it will improve it a lot.
As for the GPU, go with a GTX 770 2gb. EVGA, MSI, Asus, all great manufactures

Cheers, I do prefer to start over but it's nice to have it confirmed.

Thanks for advice phxxBullet, I'm in the process of putting together a list of components for review so I'll take those recommendations into consideration.

Cheers, I do prefer to start over but it's nice to have it confirmed.

Thanks for advice phxxBullet, I'm in the process of putting together a list of components for review so I'll take those recommendations into consideration.

Ofc you could save some bucks here and there, using the old ODD; maybe the PSU. But then again, do 100bucks really matter that much, if you are going to spend over 1000 anyways? Powering (expensive) hardware with an old PSU which may fail anytime soon, isn't worth it imo.

Sickbean

At this point, what will it actually take from games that the i5 2500K stops being good enough? It seems like on the CPU side there really isn't going to be anything to push progress, especially with the new consoles being fairly weak CPU wise.

Corum

Ofc you could save some bucks here and there, using the old ODD; maybe the PSU. But then again, do 100bucks really matter that much, if you are going to spend over 1000 anyways? Powering (expensive) hardware with an old PSU which may fail anytime soon, isn't worth it imo.

How's this build? I downgraded the CPU as I'm not an avid video-editor, it's more of a hope to be one. What CPU cooler shall I go for?

I need to see how much this will be with UK retailers. =.=

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hello guys I'm looking at getting a gaming system, I was wondering if any of you could recommend any desktop PC's or hardware to look at. I'm an IT Systems Engineer with simply not enough time on my hands to scout for parts and great combinations.

Budget: £700-£800/Possibly push to £900.
Main Usage: Gaming.
Deadline: 1 month from now.

I'm looking at trying to get as close as possible specifications to the:

Titan Envy M Intel Core i7 @4.2Ghz Over-clocked without paying just over £1200 for it.

At the moment I can find the following for but I would like to know if I can find better hardware elsewhere:

-------------------------------------------------------

Customizations:

CPU: NEW! Intel Core i7 4790

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87-HD3

RAM: NEW! 16GB Corsair 1866mhz Vengeance Pro (2x8GB)

Hard Drive: 2TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s

Optical Drive: 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2GB

Sound card: Onboard 7.1 Audio

Internet: Wireless 802.11N 300Mbps MIMO PCI-E card

Case: NEW! Corsair Graphite 230T

PSU: 550W Corsair VS

Warranty: 3 Year SureCare Warranty Product Subtotal: £834.1

build it yourself or buy prebuilt?

I'd be tempted for a 'budget' desktop to keep to an i5 and put the money into a better GPU.

i5, 8GB, 1TB HDD, 120GB SSD for OS (bigger if you can afford it) and spend the change on the GPU - should be able to get to a GTX770 for that budget.

edit: From PC specialist - if you configure the Vortex 500:
i5 4690
ASUS H81M-E Micro ATX
8GB ram (2x4GB)
2GB GTX770
120GB Samsung 840 Evo SSD (OS, couple of games)
1TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage)
550W Corsair VS PSU
no optical drive
Windows installed

£794 including VAT)

you can spec up the Vortex 750 similarly but it comes out a bit more expensive (probably down to the motherboard choice)

kharma45

First my niece often stays at his place the whole weekend and plays games on his rig, not very demanding games, but enough that a dedicated GPU would be helpful at 1080p. Also, when he finally gets a new rig, after about 8 years, I'm more than sure he'll sooner or later, want to use his TV too to watch movies or something while working. I don't know much about today's iGPUs, but as for the AMD APUs, they get pretty hot without a decent cooler while under heavy load, and the boxed cooler will spin at 100%, that's why I'm not going to build one in there.

What sort of games is she playing on it?

Heat isn't a concern with the Intel iGPUs.

How's this build? I downgraded the CPU as I'm not an avid video-editor, it's more of a hope to be one. What CPU cooler shall I go for?

I need to see how much this will be with UK retailers. =.=

Looks about right. As for the cooler, a Cooler Master Hyper 212 would be enough even for OCing. If you want to go nuts with the OC, and want a air cooler, anything in the 50-60$ range from Noctua will work like a charm.

What sort of games is she playing on it?

Heat isn't a concern with the Intel iGPUs.

I know it isn't with Intel, but as I said, went with the AMD build as it's about half the price. And AMD CPUs get pretty hot under load, compared to the Intel side.
So in the end, the same price for a quad and a dedicated GPU, vs the cheapest i3.

Greetings everyone !
I'm on the edge to update my old PC, but I have yet to decide which way to go...
On the CPU side, I'm torn between an i5 4570, i5 4670k or i7 4770k.

Because of limited budget, my choice in term of CPU has an impact on my GPU/Mobi choice.
If I go for an i5 4570, I can get a cheap 40e mobo and an r9 290. This way I feel I'd be comfortable on the GPU side and not in the need to upgrade for 5 years.

If I go for an i5 4670k, I'd need a z87 mobo, so for the GPU choice, I could only get a r9 280x. But at least my CPU would be more future proof thanks to overclock. I could also overclock the i5 4570 but only for like 200 to 400mhz... About the GPU, I feel like I'd need to change in 2 or 3 years for a better GPU

And finally, if I go for the i7 4770k, I'd need an even more expensive motherboard. As for the GPU I'd be limited to an r9 270x... which I would need to change a year later...

So to sum up all of this, should I put my priorities on the CPU or the GPU ?

Corum

Can you not select 'UK' with PCPartPicker? I'm sure I did that.

Edit: I did. Just checked. Top right of the screen.

So there is, cheers!

Looks about right. As for the cooler, a Cooler Master Hyper 212 would be enough even for OCing. If you want to go nuts with the OC, and want a air cooler, anything in the 50-60$ range from Noctua will work like a charm.

Thanks for the help phxxBullet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom