• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah that case doesn't hold anything. Power supply sits right above the slots.

I do want to play with the dual gpu thing to see what kind of fun it does. Mkenyon talked me out of trying it

I'm gonna overclock the iGPU and throw 2400MHz RAM at it with a GDDR5 R7-250 for SaGs to see what kinds of benchmarks I can get.

SHADES

There are completed listings ranging from $25-50. Only thing I am worried about is how expensive it would be to ship. One listing has shipping at $36, but is it really that cheap to ship something like this?

I have no idea in regard to U.S. shipping but the dollar/sterling conversion is very similar to what PC sellers are asking for shipping in the UK.

Do you have set of scales at home? If so see what couriers are charging via their websites maybe?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Thanks again for your help, really appreciate it.

What are the benefits of an SSD? is it simply recommended or will it do much to enhance performance beyond load times? Could I get away with dropping the SSD and keeping that 1TB HDD and then add an SSD at a later date?

Do you know what sort of perfomance I'd get out of this build? What sort of settings can I expect to run things such as Skyrim, Battlefield, the Fallout games etc.

How is that case also, will it go towards making the system run more quietly? I'm not sure what sort of measures are required to make a system run cool and quietly. Can fans be added later or do I need to find a case that has these built in?

You'd be better off ditching the HDD and buying that later.. SSD makes everything noticably faster.

If you want a quiet case they can be a little more expensive than a basic one. You can always swap case fans out for quiet fans (eg noctua) piecemeal as your budget allows. Tbh at idle it should be quiet anyway, and when gaming the GOu will probably be the noisest element.

I'm thinking of picking up the following build from CyberPower and I was wondering if it was a decent power-to-price build and if anything jumped out as needing looked at:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4790 3.60 GHz 8MB LGA1150
MEMORY: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory
MOTHERBOARD: MSI B85M-P33 mATX
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card (EVGA Superclocked ACX Cooling)
POWERSUPPLY: 800 Watts
Case: CFI Boreallight (White Color)
HDD: 128GB Sandisk SSD + 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD

Other stuff:
Maximum 120MM Color Case Cooling Fans (Blue Color)
PCI Wireless 802.11n 150Mbps Network Interface Card
Asetek 510LC 120mm Liquid Cooling CPU Cooler - Enhance Cooling Performance (Single Standard 120MM Fan)
OS: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium [+104] (64-bit Edition)
12in Liquid Neon Thunder Pattern Light (Blue Color)

PRICE: $1423

Bleeether

It's been too long since i've visted the I need a new PC thread. I had to click through 3 other OT threads before i found the current one!

Just want to thank everyone for the advice and time they put in this thread. The pc i built last year is still running flawlessly!

It's been too long since i've visted the I need a new PC thread. I had to click through 3 other OT threads before i found the current one!

Just want to thank everyone for the advice and time they put in this thread. The pc i built last year is still running flawlessly!

I'll join you in saying thanks to everyone. I never post here, but it's the only thread on Neogaf that I read on a daily basis just for the knowledge I acquire. Also my three month old build has been running great.

Keep up the good work ladies and gents!

Vlaphor

Alright, I've picked up my parts today, but haven't installed any of them yet. Got an

I7-4790k (was going to go with the I5 with a two year protection plan, but the I7 without it was only $60 more)

8gb of Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1600

A Phantom NZXT case

A GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-GAMING 7 ATX mobo (on sale and also a bundle discount)

and then I went to Best Buy and got an H100 since MicroCenter wouldn't Ad match Amazon on the H80i.

I'm kind of nervous about installing this stuff. I've built computers before, and overclocked them as well, but this build looks like it might be the hardest.

...also, my biggest fear is that it wont have been worth the price. I got the water cooler as an early bday present, but everything else together ended being around $660. I'm going from an OC'd I7 930 (3.9) to this I7 4790k (stock 4.0, plan to OC) and I hope the build is worth it. If not, I can return it and just be out the gas it cost to drive there and back twice (a full gas tanks worth). Still kinda of nervous though. Also, it looks like installing the radiator to the case might be kind of hard. The instructions aren't that clear.

Vlaphor

though I'm also thinking of the future as well. The I7 930 lasted me for awhile, and the overclock gave it some legs, but it can't last too much longer. With various sales, I managed to get this stuff for over $100 off

appaws

Banned
I'm thinking of picking up the following build from CyberPower and I was wondering if it was a decent power-to-price build and if anything jumped out as needing looked at:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4790 3.60 GHz 8MB LGA1150
MEMORY: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory
MOTHERBOARD: MSI B85M-P33 mATX
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card (EVGA Superclocked ACX Cooling)
POWERSUPPLY: 800 Watts
Case: CFI Boreallight (White Color)
HDD: 128GB Sandisk SSD + 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD

Other stuff:
Maximum 120MM Color Case Cooling Fans (Blue Color)
PCI Wireless 802.11n 150Mbps Network Interface Card
Asetek 510LC 120mm Liquid Cooling CPU Cooler - Enhance Cooling Performance (Single Standard 120MM Fan)
OS: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium [+104] (64-bit Edition)
12in Liquid Neon Thunder Pattern Light (Blue Color)

PRICE: $1423

I wouldn't. You can do so much better for that much money than this. Build yourself, it is fun and easy and you will end up with a better machine.

Look to the builds in the OP. Bang for your buck!

appaws

Banned
Alright, I've picked up my parts today, but haven't installed any of them yet. Got an

I7-4790k (was going to go with the I5 with a two year protection plan, but the I7 without it was only $60 more)

8gb of Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1600

A Phantom NZXT case

A GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-GAMING 7 ATX mobo (on sale and also a bundle discount)

and then I went to Best Buy and got an H100 since MicroCenter wouldn't Ad match Amazon on the H80i.

I'm kind of nervous about installing this stuff. I've built computers before, and overclocked them as well, but this build looks like it might be the hardest.

...also, my biggest fear is that it wont have been worth the price. I got the water cooler as an early bday present, but everything else together ended being around $660. I'm going from an OC'd I7 930 (3.9) to this I7 4790k (stock 4.0, plan to OC) and I hope the build is worth it. If not, I can return it and just be out the gas it cost to drive there and back twice (a full gas tanks worth). Still kinda of nervous though. Also, it looks like installing the radiator to the case might be kind of hard. The instructions aren't that clear.

though I'm also thinking of the future as well. The I7 930 lasted me for awhile, and the overclock gave it some legs, but it can't last too much longer. With various sales, I managed to get this stuff for over $100 off

Take a deep breath man. It's worth it. Look for some youtube videos of that installation, it is really easy. Just take it slow. Mantra + Yantra creates Tantra.

Dries

Nope.

Definitely set a voltage amount. Even at 4.0 GHz, 1.25 should be enough for 100% stability.

In a earlier post you implied that my error screen was being caused by under-voltage right? Well, that wouldn't be the case since AUTO set my Vcore to 1.325, right? Assuming that 1.25 would be more than enough.

That's my personal recommendation, but I'm sure others can come in and change it. Get rid of the £25 CPU cooler if you're not going to overclock - but if that's the case, then you could look at saving more money and getting the non-K version of the 4770 and getting a H87 motherboard instead. Those are 100% unable to overclock, though.

Wow .. thanks a million for this. Very much appreciated.

Gonna do this (and bring this build closer to £1100 in the process):

Since notoccupanther doesn't seem to be building with SLI in mind (on account of not having two GPUs in his build right this second), I:

- downgraded the optical drive from Blu-Ray (will readd if it turns out he actually wants that!)
- doubled the SSD's size
- upgraded the CPU/mobo to 4790K/Z97 (he doesn't have to listen to me on this)
- swapped out case/PSU for slightly higher-quality parts

Thanks a mill... Between your good self and yatesl you've saved me 300bucks .. so many thanks indeed. The spec looks bang on. I'll be sticking with the Silverstone case tho' for aesthetics (on advice of counsel - ie. my SO :)

I'm gonna kick this off next week all going well ...

I wouldn't. You can do so much better for that much money than this. Build yourself, it is fun and easy and you will end up with a better machine.

Look to the builds in the OP. Bang for your buck!

You have a point. I haven't built my own since high school (back when the Pentium II was still a thing :p), might as well give it a proper go. How's this build instead?

Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz
ASRock H81 Pro BTC ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Team Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 RAM
Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD
Zotac GeForce GTX 780 3GB AMP! Edition
Raidmax ATX-605BT Case
550W Power Supply
Samsung DVD/CD Writer
Microsoft Windows 7
TP-Link TL-WN725N 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter

Base Total $1277.24 (before discounts/rebates and including thermal paste and a anti-static wrist strap to do the job).

Thanks a mill... Between your good self and yatesl you've saved me 300bucks .. so many thanks indeed. The spec looks bang on. I'll be sticking with the Silverstone case tho' for aesthetics (on advice of counsel - ie. my SO :)

I'm gonna kick this off next week all going well ...

That's totally fair re: the Silverstone case... just let us know how this build goes! :D

I disabled auto vcore and set it to 1.25v For some reason it shows up as 1.26v in CPUID monitor. I also applied a subtle OC of 4.6. These are my temps after just a couple minutes using Prime95. Using a Hyper 212 EVO cooler.

This seems high for 1.25v.

P5n08Z7.png

Edit: slowly dropping my vcore. My old 4770 wouldn't post at 4.2GHz without 1.300v at least. I just posted at 4.6GHz at 1.200v

Crashed after starting p95 at those settings. I'm going to bump up to 1.215v. Edit: Same at 1.215v. What increments should I bump up vcore?

kharma45

You have a point. I haven't built my own since high school (back when the Pentium II was still a thing :p), might as well give it a proper go. How's this build instead?

Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz
ASRock H81 Pro BTC ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Team Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 RAM
Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD
Zotac GeForce GTX 780 3GB AMP! Edition
Raidmax ATX-605BT Case
550W Power Supply
Samsung DVD/CD Writer
Microsoft Windows 7
TP-Link TL-WN725N 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter

Base Total $1277.24 (before discounts/rebates and including thermal paste and a anti-static wrist strap to do the job).

Poor PSU, ideally you want a Z97 mobo, case isn't great either.

I'll get back to you with a better build in a few mins.

You don't need thermal paste either.

Are you gaming or doing more like photo and video editing?

Dries

I disabled auto vcore and set it to 1.25v For some reason it shows up as 1.26v in CPUID monitor. I also applied a subtle OC of 4.6. These are my temps after just a couple minutes using Prime95. Using a Hyper 212 EVO cooler.

This seems high for 1.25v.

Edit: slowly dropping my vcore. My old 4770 wouldn't post at 4.2GHz without 1.300v at least. I just posted at 4.6GHz at 1.200v

Crashed after starting p95 at those settings. I'm going to bump up to 1.215v. Edit: Same at 1.215v. What increments should I bump up vcore?

Max temps are pretty high. If you can't step down your Vcore anymore without it crashing and you still have those temps, maybe just go for 4.5Ghz?

I'm thinking about getting a new cooler. How is the Noctua NH-D15 or D14? I have RAM with larger heat spreaders. Could I get those coolers to fit if I put my RAM in the secondary slots? I only have two sticks 2x4GB.

kharma45

I'm thinking about getting a new cooler. How is the Noctua NH-D15 or D14? I have RAM with larger heat spreaders. Could I get those coolers to fit if I put my RAM in the secondary slots? I only have two sticks 2x4GB.

I'd look to an H60 or a single fan Hyper 212. If you have tall RAM they'll be a challenge unless you remove the spreadsheets.

Hey PC GAF, I want to add a 3rd HDD (I have 1 SSD and 1 HDD right now.)
This whole raid thing is something I should look into or can I just add it to my current set up and it should be ok?

Arc07

Just pulled the trigger on this. Posting from my phone.

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory
Samsung 840 EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
(2 x) Asus GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB DirectCU II Video Card
Corsair Air 540 ATX Desktop Case
Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Asus MX299Q 29.0" Monitor
ASUS ROG Front Base
Bunch of Corsair SP fans to replace the case fans.

I debated on going with the 6GB 780s but I don't think I'll need it for 2560x1080. Will post build pics when the parts get here.

Mascot

I've just been given a laptop with the specs below. What performance could I expect from mainstream games (FPS, driving games etc)? No idea whatsoever if it's even up to the task.

Sony Vaio VPCF12Z1E
I7 Q740 @ 1.73GHZ, 1734 MHZ, 4 cores, 8 logical processors
Installed physical RAM 8GB
Total virtual memory 16GB
1TB HDD

Edit: graphics card is apparently GeForce GT 330M 1GB

The_Poet

Banned
Just pulled the trigger on this. Posting from my phone.

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory
Samsung 840 EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
(2 x) Asus GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB DirectCU II Video Card
Corsair Air 540 ATX Desktop Case
Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Asus MX299Q 29.0" Monitor
ASUS ROG Front Base
Bunch of Corsair SP fans to replace the case fans.

I debated on going with the 6GB 780s but I don't think I'll need it for 2560x1080. Will post build pics when the parts get here.

I would have gone with the 6gb, you are already spending a lot of money on it, might as well make it last.

LilJoka

EK L120 Watercooling is up and running, some pics:

Im using a Panaflo 120x38mm fan for push, and the EK 120x25mm fan that came with the kit as pull. Im getting similar temps to the H80i, however with the fans at 700rpm rather than 2400rpm =D

Ive also found out that Asus only have PWM on the CPU fan headers, and voltage control on the Chassis fan headers. Since both my radiator fans are 3pin non PWM fans, ive had to make some 3pin splitters and connect all 5 system fans to 3 chassis fan headers so that i can control the fan speeds.

Water

I've just been given a laptop with the specs below. What performance could I expect from mainstream games (FPS, driving games etc)? No idea whatsoever if it's even up to the task.

Sony Vaio VPCF12Z1E
Awful performance, or games will outright refuse to run when it comes to mainstream FPSs from recent years. I presume it's the same for driving. I think that laptop has a 1080p display which makes things worse, no way that GPU can drive anything at native resolution so you'll be looking at blurry scaled picture in addition to lowest-of-the-low settings.

You'll certainly be able to play games with it, but it's best stick to 2D adventure/puzzle/strategy stuff or really old games.

Mascot

Not much, might be able to play indie games. GT330M sounds old and is not a gaming card for sure.

Awful performance, or games will outright refuse to run when it comes to mainstream FPSs from recent years. I presume it's the same for driving. I think that laptop has a 1080p display which makes things worse, no way that GPU can drive anything at native resolution so you'll be looking at blurry scaled picture in addition to lowest-of-the-low settings.

You'll certainly be able to play games with it, but it's best stick to 2D adventure/puzzle/strategy stuff or really old games.

Ah, thought as much. Cheers.

Question about the Intel Pentium K Anniversary G3258 - It's currently going for £51 on Scan, and apparently it overclocks like a madman, so I'm wondering about building a system around it - but here's the kicker.

I want to be able to stream console (and some PC) footage, and I'm reading that it really is not good at video rendering, even at silly overclocks. Is it still a good enough choice for, say, 720p encoding for Twitch, or should I look elsewhere?

LilJoka

Question about the Intel Pentium K Anniversary G3258 - It's currently going for £51 on Scan, and apparently it overclocks like a madman, so I'm wondering about building a system around it - but here's the kicker.

I want to be able to stream console (and some PC) footage, and I'm reading that it really is not good at video rendering, even at silly overclocks. Is it still a good enough choice for, say, 720p encoding for Twitch, or should I look elsewhere?

Pentium is not going to be anything special for CPU demanding tasks, of which rendering and encoding pretty much tops the list. Pentium is good for gaming (single gpu) when overclocked or for a cheap 1080p video playback machine, NAS etc. For twitch just pick up an i3 that should be sufficient for rendering that sort of quality on the fly.

54-46!

Revised build, thoughts?

lpcLAmo.jpg

Will be moving from current PC: HD7950 and 840 EVO 250GB

I'm curious about the PSU, are these things "future proof" ? I want to be able to use this case and PSU for the next seven years if possible.

Also debating if it's worth getting a cheap sound card to get better quality for a Modmic (plan on buying one), I have an external Amp/DAC for my speakers/headphones already so it would be for audio in only.

Mrbob

PSU should be fine as long as you stick to a single card. If you want to start adding more than one card think about grabbing a more powerful PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom