• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

So if I don't want to use raid, I can simply add another HDD and use that for backups with no problems, right?
Other than the fact that you should never trust a hard drive - yes.

One copy of a piece of data is the same as no copies of that piece of data.

Other than the fact that you should never trust a hard drive - yes.

One copy of a piece of data is the same as no copies of that piece of data.

Agreed, HDDs while very stable for the most part can be destroyed in an instant. I have a roomate who is interning at Western Digital and can get 4TB drives for about $100 so I just put 2 in Raid 1 for mirroring. I feel much better about my data at night.

mkenyon

Banned
Have you heard of paint? It's pretty cool.

@Sectorseven: The thing to watch out for is contaminants that don't transfer heat as well.
Haha, I'm so bad at Paint it'll look terrible. Not a valid reason for not doing it, just my rationalization for laziness I spose.

SLV

Hey guys got my new rig all fired up, but there is an issue, the 4790k is always at 4.4, it does not downclock when idle ;/ Asus maximus Hero VII

Poor PSU, ideally you want a Z97 mobo, case isn't great either.

I'll get back to you with a better build in a few mins.

You don't need thermal paste either.

Are you gaming or doing more like photo and video editing?

How about a MSI Z97 PC MATE mobo? Is that any good?

Hey guys, building a PC for the first time and I could use some help. I wishlisted all the parts that I want, but I need to know if this will be a good setup without any problems. I'd like to keep the budget at around $1500 if possible.

Wishlist:

• Corsair Carbide Series 200R Black Steel / Plastic compact ATX Mid Tower Case - $79.99
  • GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard (This one is sold out on Newegg)
  • EVGA 02G-P4-3765-KR GeForce GTX 760 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Dual Superclocked w/ EVGA ACX Cooler Video Card - $319.99
  • Thermaltake TR2 TR-700 700W ATX 12V V2.3 & EPS 12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - $74.99
  • Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell Quad-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I74770K - $369.99
  • CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9B - $49.99 (x2)
  • Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - $89.99
  • RAZER Blackwidow Tournament Edition RZ03-00811000-R3U1 Black Gaming Keyboard - $79.99
  • ASUS VN247H-P Black 23.6" 1ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor - $219.99
  • ASUS Black Blu-ray Drive SATA Model BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM - $69.99
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus - CPU Cooler with 4 Direct Contact Heatpipes - $29.99
  • Logitech Z313 25 w 2.1 Speaker System - $59.99

I could also use a good recommendation on a proper motherboard that would go well with this setup.

The Llama

Hey guys, building a PC for the first time and I could use some help. I wishlisted all the parts that I want, but I need to know if this will be a good setup without any problems.

Wishlist:

• Corsair Carbide Series 200R Black Steel / Plastic compact ATX Mid Tower Case
  • GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard (This one is sold out on Newegg)
  • EVGA 02G-P4-3765-KR GeForce GTX 760 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Dual Superclocked w/ EVGA ACX Cooler Video Card
  • Thermaltake TR2 TR-700 700W ATX 12V V2.3 & EPS 12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply
  • Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell Quad-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I74770K
  • CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9B (x2)
  • Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive
  • RAZER Blackwidow Tournament Edition RZ03-00811000-R3U1 Black Gaming Keyboard
  • ASUS VN247H-P Black 23.6" 1ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor
  • ASUS Black Blu-ray Drive SATA Model BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus - CPU Cooler with 4 Direct Contact Heatpipes
  • Logitech Z313 25 w 2.1 Speaker System

I could also use a good recommendation on a proper motherboard that would go well with this setup.

List the prices and your budget if you can.

Just off the top of my head, get the 4790k instead of the 4770k (I think they're basically the same price, and Microcenter has the 4790k cheap, if there's one near you). Any reason you can't get a 2x4GB kit of RAM instead of 2 separate 4GB kits? I would imagine it would be cheaper. You'll get a Z97 mobo, check out the Gigabyte Z97 UD3H.

golem

Hey guys got my new rig all fired up, but there is an issue, the 4790k is always at 4.4, it does not downclock when idle ;/ Asus maximus Hero VII
Check your power settings in Windows Control Panel. I believe it should be balanced

List the prices and your budget if you can.

Just off the top of my head, get the 4790k instead of the 4770k (I think they're basically the same price, and Microcenter has the 4790k cheap, if there's one near you). Any reason you can't get a 2x4GB kit of RAM instead of 2 separate 4GB kits? I would imagine it would be cheaper. You'll get a Z97 mobo, check out the Gigabyte Z97 UD3H.

Ah thanks, I managed to find the same RAM card in a 2x4GB set. Forgot to mention that I live in Canada, there's no Microcenter stores up here.

Hey Gaf, I just got my first big salaried job out of college. So I feel like it's finally time to invest in a gaming PC! I haven't come up with a build or anything yet, but I'm probably looking at something along the lines of the $835 build in the OP. Will 1-2 months from now be a good time to buy parts?

I'm probably looking at something along the lines of the $835 build in the OP.

mkenyon

Banned
Hey guys, building a PC for the first time and I could use some help. I wishlisted all the parts that I want, but I need to know if this will be a good setup without any problems. I'd like to keep the budget at around $1500 if possible.
What I came up with around that price:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ TigerDirect)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Mwave)
Memory: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($106.81 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($210.00 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($88.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($256.99 @ Best Buy)
Keyboard: Cooler Master Storm QuickFire Rapid Wired Gaming Keyboard ($77.34 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1383.07
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

I dropped the Blu-Ray, add it if it's necessary, though a need for one is pretty rare. Dropped the HDD altogether for a nice SSD. Add one in if you want more storage space, or go up to the 512GB model for $100 more.

The monitor is a 144Hz display that is really nice.
Hey Gaf, I just got my first big salaried job out of college. So I feel like it's finally time to invest in a gaming PC! I haven't come up with a build or anything yet, but I'm probably looking at something along the lines of the $835 build in the OP. Will 1-2 months from now be a good time to buy parts?

Two months will put you a few months out (probably) of a new series of GPUs. However, you can always sell the one you buy and upgrade it later on.

Right now is as good of a time as any to buy parts, you might save a few bucks waiting a month or two but nothing serious. If you are going to wait for parts you might as well wait for the HD 8XX series and the R9 390X to come out to push prices down on GPUs.

Here is a rough draft of a build for you to work with, change as desired.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($124.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($106.81 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($319.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 350D Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($98.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.98 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($256.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1577.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Couple bucks over budget but it's a damn fine machine

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I have some save for a PC. I still have some questions. Sorry if they sound dumb, this is my first computer I have built

Do I have to buy thermal paste or does it come with a cpu?
I also don't think I have the right tools so should I buy a PC tool kit?

Also I think I'm gonna do this from the OP:
kIoML6U.png

Get the i5, R9 270X and the gigabyte motherboard though. I already have a case from a friend.

ombz

I have some save for a PC. I still have some questions. Sorry if they sound dumb, this is my first computer I have built

Do I have to buy thermal paste or does it come with a cpu?
I also don't think I have the right tools so should I buy a PC tool kit?

Also I think I'm gonna do this from the OP:
kIoML6U.png

Get the i5, R9 270X and the gigabyte motherboard though. I already have a case from a friend.

If you buy a new CPU, the thermal paste will be pre applied to the stock fan.
The toolkit is up to you. You pretty much just need a screwdriver.

jett

D-Member
Hey dudes some help please.

I got a Seasonic X-850 power supply, my first modular PSU. I have two queries:

1.- I have a ASUS Z97-A motherboard, on the PSU's side, do I connect 4-pin module that comes with the 20/24 connector? The PSU's manual says that it depends on the MB, but hell if I know if it applies to mine. I have no idea what to do here. :p

2.- I have a R9-280X. Do I use two separate PCI-E cables or just one with dual 8-pin/6-pin connectors would be fine?

kennah

Hey dudes some help please.

I got a Seasonic X-850 power supply, my first modular PSU. I have two queries:

1.- I have a ASUS Z97-A motherboard, on the PSU's side, do I connect 4-pin module that comes with the 20/24 connector? The PSU's manual says that it depends on the MB, but hell if I know if it applies to mine. I have no idea what to do here. :p

2.- I have a R9-280X. Do I use two separate PCI-E cables or just one with dual 8-pin/6-pin connectors would be fine?
1. You'll need all 24. The 20 is for legacy stuff.

2. Use two. Will deliver better power.

appaws

Banned
Hey guys, so I been reading and I think as someone suggested I am thinking about getting XSPC Dual D5 AX 360 Water Cooling Kit.

I have a water block for r9 290x already but I do not have the fittings for it.

Dual D5 kit is expensive however it removed the single point of failure and since its a big kit I am thinking of going all in.

CPY GPU RAM and Mobo watercooled.

Any suggestions are welcome. I am in Canada and here no one ships for free so it will generall save me money to get the kit instead of individual parts.

The XSPC kits are good. I have one myself. The AX rads are considered to be a very good product. I found the Raystorm block a little harder to install than the EK CPU blocks....but the performance is excellent.

Check out those Monsoon fittings that come with the little tool for tightening them. They have beautiful styles and the tool saves your hands some of the beating...

Ram and Mobo watercooling is mostly pretty useless....but of course practical concerns are not the reason we watercool. So if you want to be a watercooling bad-ass, then go for it!

Wishlist:

• Corsair Carbide Series 200R Black Steel / Plastic compact ATX Mid Tower Case - $79.99
  • EVGA 02G-P4-3765-KR GeForce GTX 760 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Dual Superclocked w/ EVGA ACX Cooler Video Card - $319.99
  • Thermaltake TR2 TR-700 700W ATX 12V V2.3 & EPS 12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - $74.99
  • Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell Quad-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I74770K - $369.99
  • CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9B - $49.99 (x2)
  • Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - $89.99
  • RAZER Blackwidow Tournament Edition RZ03-00811000-R3U1 Black Gaming Keyboard - $79.99
  • ASUS VN247H-P Black 23.6" 1ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor - $219.99
  • ASUS Black Blu-ray Drive SATA Model BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM - $69.99
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus - CPU Cooler with 4 Direct Contact Heatpipes - $29.99
  • Logitech Z313 25 w 2.1 Speaker System - $59.99

Study the OP. Look to the builds in the OP for a starting point. You are spending a lot of money, so take a little time figuring it all out. If you are spending $1500 bucks, I think you can do better than a 760 for the GPU....and you want a Z97 motherboard and a 4790k CPU.

Is that a mechanical keyboard? I know that some of these "ZOMG!!! GAMERZZZ" products are really expensive. I see that some non-mechanical "gaming" keyboards are really expensive I would not pay 80 bucks for a keyboard unless it was a mechanical.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, the BlackWidow is a mech keyboard. Though the regular comes with blues, which I personally find to be really odd for a gaming keyboard. That's why I subbed in the CM Quickfire w/ Reds in my suggested changes.

jett

D-Member
Nah, just use one with two connectors. Plenty.

lol, well, I already connected cables. If I ever go dual GPU I'll do that.

btw...GOOD LORD the fanless mode of this PSU is outstanding. My PC is dead silent. If I didn't know any better I'd think it was turned off. I understand it won't remain this way under load but really this is incredible. Wish I had never got that XFX PSU in the first place.

tarheel91

290 is installed. Can't get it stable on stock voltage much above 1400Mhz memory. Seems like the card is memory bandwidth starved for the most part, if the Unigine Heaven benchmark is anything to go by.

Also, damn is this card/cooler big. Almost doesn't fit into my Bit Fenix Shinobi. Seeing a 40-50% bump over my 7950 depending on the application.

mkenyon

Banned
Heaven definitely favors NVIDIA. Firestrike is pretty agnostic.

Definitely try and push core frequency before memory.

The card is such a beast. Once you put it to test, it really sinks in how much of a gain it is. Definitely needs to be overclocked to see it though.

I mean, 40% bump over a 7950!? That's ridiculous.

tarheel91

Heaven definitely favors NVIDIA. Firestrike is pretty agnostic.

Definitely try and push core frequency before memory.

The card is such a beast. Once you put it to test, it really sinks in how much of a gain it is. Definitely needs to be overclocked to see it though.

I mean, 40% bump over a 7950!? That's ridiculous.

Yep. Is there a quick way to reset the clocks? This thing doesn't go unstable, it just goes straight to a black screen, which makes it hard to fix. I've resorted to restarting on iGPU and then switching back over which resets everything.

mkenyon

Banned
I haven't encountered that, but you could probably flip the BIOS switch on it. That's not really quick either, as it'd require a reboot, but it seems faster than switching to iGPU.

Also, do make sure that you have that switch turned to uber mode.

tarheel91

I haven't encountered that, but you could probably flip the BIOS switch on it. That's not really quick either, as it'd require a reboot, but it seems faster than switching to iGPU.

Also, do make sure that you have that switch turned to uber mode.

Uber mode is enabled by default on the Sapphire card. All I do is swap out where I put the HDMI card when I turn it back on.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Ok guys, here's a tricky one. These are the two options I've come down to. Don't ask why or how as there are many restraints in play here.

I need to know which to get from these TWO.

1.Core 2 Quad Q9650 + Sapphire R9 280 DUAL-X + 8 GB DDR2 ram

2. Core i3 4130 3.4 ghz + Gigabyte R9 270x + 4 GB DDR3 ram.

Please, just tell me which combination is better and I'll tell you what's been going on and why I chose these two. Thanks!

Right now is as good of a time as any to buy parts, you might save a few bucks waiting a month or two but nothing serious. If you are going to wait for parts you might as well wait for the HD 8XX series and the R9 390X to come out to push prices down on GPUs.

Well I'm not so much waiting a couple of months to wait for prices to drop. I'm just waiting to accumulate a few paychecks before I buy. I was just wondering if anything crazily important is going to come out in like the next 6 months that I should wait for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom