• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrbob

I know it has been said already in this thread but I'd like to express my love for the Corsair 540 air case. By far the easiest build I've ever done. There are two special trays to snap in a ssd or hdd. The motherboard tray has a center pin to make sure all the screws line up. Even attaching cpu cooler bottom brackets like the 212 evo is a breeze as the motherboard mounting tray is open right over the CPU. The hardest time I had was sliding in my DVD drive in one of the 5.25" bays, but it wasn't too bad. I can't think of another case I'll use in a long time.

Azzurri

Gold Member
I know it has been said already in this thread but I'd like to express my love for the Corsair 540 air case. By far the easiest build I've ever done. There are two special trays to snap in a ssd or hdd. The motherboard tray has a center pin to make sure all the screws line up. Even attaching cpu cooler bottom brackets like the 212 evo is a breeze as the motherboard mounting tray is open right over the CPU. The hardest time I had was sliding in my DVD drive in one of the 5.25" bays, but it wasn't too bad. I can't think of another case I'll use in a long time.

The 240 Air looks awesome too, and smaller.

Pachimari

Yes, look at 3D settings in NVCP.
I wouldn't downsample until you have things running correctly at native resolution. NVIDIA state the surround limit for a single 780 is 7600x1600. I've no idea if that's an output limit, or if downsampling is also limited in surround mode.

It sounds like the games need some configuring. I'd like to help more, but I've no personal experience of surround gaming. I'm sure someone here can give you some pointers.

Multiple Display Performance mode is turned on.

Hmm, wonder what I'm doing wrong. Nothing works still.

Maybe cause I'm using a converter on one of them.

mkenyon

Banned
So guys, thinking about upgrading my PC pretty soon, I've always gone AMD/ATI but i'm thinking of making the switch to Intel/ATI, I want to be able to run Dolphin and most current gen games @ 1080p

My current rig is OK-ish but I'm pretty sure my CPU is bottlenecking pretty badly, here are my specs:

Rosewill Blackbone Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
AMD Athlon II X4 630 Propus Quad-Core 2.8GHz
ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
PowerColor PCS+ AX7870 2GBD5-2DHPPV3E Radeon HD 7870 MYST. Edition (Tahiti LE) 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5
ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G
Ultra LSP550 550-Watt Power Supply

I was thinking of just getting a new mobo and some i5, keeping my eyes out for a 4670k, the 4690k seems to expensive ATM, do you guys think I'm good with my current GPU? I just bought it last year, will it do ok if I ever plan on getting a 2560x1440p monitor?

I'll probably get a new case and PSU if needed, I'll keep my memory, HDD, and SSD
It's a good GPU, but it will definitely struggle with 1440p.

takriel

Hey guys, I really want to join PC gaming and am looking for a new PC (only have two laptops atm).

What I'm looking at:

• Intel® Core™ i7-4770 processor 4th generation (3,4 GHz, 8 MB Intel® Smart Cache)
• NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX770 (DirectX®11 2048 MB DDR5)
• 128 GB SSD (Solid State Drive)
• 2 TB (2.000 GB) S-ATA hard disk
• 2 x Hot-Swap change thing for hard drives
• 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM
• 8-Kanal Audio
• USB-WLAN-Dongle
• 6x USB 3.0

Is this enough to run Dolphin emulating on good to max settings and play newer games (2014 and beyond) in good or max setting?

Thanks for any help!

mkenyon

Banned
Hey guys, I really want to join PC gaming and am looking for a new PC (only have two laptops atm).

What I'm looking at:

• Intel® Core™ i7-4770 processor 4th generation (3,4 GHz, 8 MB Intel® Smart Cache)
• NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX770 (DirectX®11 2048 MB DDR5)
• 128 GB SSD (Solid State Drive)
• 2 TB (2.000 GB) S-ATA hard disk
• 2 x Hot-Swap change thing for hard drives
• 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM
• 8-Kanal Audio
• USB-WLAN-Dongle
• 6x USB 3.0

Is this enough to run Dolphin emulating on good to max settings and play newer games (2014 and beyond) in good or max setting?

Thanks for any help!
Swap in the 4790K. The stock 4.2 GHz frequency on it will help a lot with getting Dolphin to run smoothly.

The Llama

Is it true that the GeForce 800 line is coming in fall? Should I hold off on building a PC until then?

It probably is, yeah. Whether you should wait is totally up to you. IMO a better question is when will you be able to build one. If you can build one now, I'd say to just go for it because the 4790k just came out and the R9 cards are great values. But if you have to wait another month or 2 anyway, you may as well wait for the 800 series.

Any recommendations for a desktop mic? Would mostly be using it for Skype and some streaming. Don't really care about price, assuming its not something outrageous.

kiyomi

So I still haven't ordered. Here is my old post with the unchanged order. The MSI GTX770 is out of stock and seems to be for a while longer. So I decided to go bigger and I'm getting the MSI N780 TF 3GD5/OC instead!
So quick question: does this require a stronger PSU than what I was going with before? The SeaSonic M12II EVO 620 Bronze that is. Thanks in advance!

Oh and I also decided to go with the 4690K, the Cooler Master 212 Evo and dabble in OCing after all. :)

edit: I couldn't wait any longer. I ordered everything. :D
Please let me know if my PSU is now inadquate though! I could still change the order before it's too late!

I think you'll be fine with the 620W - your system will probably only max out at ~400W.

The Llama

Any suggestions here? Are they all basically the same, or is there a specific one I should get? I'd like to order it tonight, with my MX100 (both from Newegg of possible).

Don't have anything add except that your case just gave me so much nostalgia. Its what I used to build my first computer like 8 years ago, with the money I saved up from working at a grocery store haha.

Hi PC GAF, I have a question or two for you guys. I'm looking to build a small PC to play games with (if small isn't efficient I can go for a larger tower, not a huge deal.) I really want to use the Dolphin and PS2 emulators, as well as play some steam games. Not a huge AAA gamer though. I'm wondering what would be the cheapest way to do this all efficiently? I've never built a PC before, but if it's cheaper than getting a laptop that could do the same stuff then I'm interested in it.

It probably is, yeah. Whether you should wait is totally up to you. IMO a better question is when will you be able to build one. If you can build one now, I'd say to just go for it because the 4790k just came out and the R9 cards are great values. But if you have to wait another month or 2 anyway, you may as well wait for the 800 series.

Yeah. I just got a good job, so I have to save up a couple paychecks before I can dive-in. So I might end up waiting. Thanks!

mkenyon

Banned
Any recommendations for a desktop mic? Would mostly be using it for Skype and some streaming. Don't really care about price, assuming its not something outrageous.
ModMic 4.0. I like the sound a lot better than the Blue (Yeti, Snowball) products. It comes with a few magnets, so you could place one on the desk where you want it, and one on your headphones.
Hi PC GAF, I have a question or two for you guys. I'm looking to build a small PC to play games with (if small isn't efficient I can go for a larger tower, not a huge deal.) I really want to use the Dolphin and PS2 emulators, as well as play some steam games. Not a huge AAA gamer though. I'm wondering what would be the cheapest way to do this all efficiently? I've never built a PC before, but if it's cheaper than getting a laptop that could do the same stuff then I'm interested in it.
Yes. Third post in thread is what you're looking for. Also fill out bullet point questions from the OP.

Been thinking about ditching my gaming laptop in favor of a full fledged gaming PC. But I have a quick question on operating systems.

Windows 7 or 8.1? Before 8.1, it seemed like everyone said to get away from 8 if you were interested in gaming. But what's the general consensus today?

mkenyon

Banned
Any suggestions here? Are they all basically the same, or is there a specific one I should get? I'd like to order it tonight, with my MX100 (both from Newegg of possible).
Double sided tape.

SSDs have zero moving parts, so you can put them anywhere, and they don't need to be attached to anything. You can even leave them dangling.

Question regarding fans for a new build I am doing.

Looking to find some good green LED fans. Corsair has the SP120/140 listed on their website as green but I can't find them anywhere online (might not be out yet).

I went with Noctua NF-A14 FLX for two front intake fans since those will be covered so color won't matter much for them but I am looking for green fans for the build for exhaust and heatsink, etc. where I could see a green glow through the window.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Alrighty, so I just got my PC from Ironside Computers. I know some of you were curious about their build quality, so I've taken the liberty of providing a link below that they put together for me regarding the rig. LOVING it so far. Any game recommendations though?

Here's the build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2ZCW4J2uNU

Here's the specs:
Case: BitFenix Prodigy Vivid Green w/ Window
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K
CPU Cooling: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
Motherboard: ASRock Z87E-ITX
Memory: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz
Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply: Corsair AX860i

LilJoka

Alrighty, so I just got my PC from Ironside Computers. I know some of you were curious about their build quality, so I've taken the liberty of providing a link below that they put together for me regarding the rig. LOVING it so far. Any game recommendations though?

Here's the specs:

Very nice build there. Not sure about the case, but each to their own. PSU is definatly overkill considering you cannot install a multi GPU setup, 600W would of been more than enough.

Some games to try, Grid Autosport, Far Cry 3, Watch_Dogs, Batman Arkham Origins, The Witcher 2.

Here's the specs:

That's a pretty sweet build. Do they send a Youtube link to each customer once their build is finished?

jett

D-Member
Well I exchanged the Seasonic X-850 for another and it too suffers from coil whine. I guess life decided to suck for me.

shimrra

What if your budget is $300 and you wanted to build a pc just do homework and on occasion play Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead.

What would be the best build Motherboard CPU and Ram?

Gambit61

Ugh. Turned off my PC last night like usual, woke up and now I'm getting boot errors.

Edit: nvm, somehow my bios settings were reverted back to defaults.

What if your budget is $300 and you wanted to build a pc just do homework and on occasion play Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead.

What would be the best build Motherboard CPU and Ram?

Do you live near a Microcenter?

Do you currently have a PC with reuseable parts?

Is the $99 Pentium Anniversary/ Z97 combo still a thing there? Or was that a one day deal?

But if you absolutely NEED a sub $300 computer for homework and can't find a cheap used one, a Kabini build might work for you. The higlighted section is the FPS of the 5350's iGPU. The others are the 5350's performance using the listed dGPUs.

embed.php

Abviously, if you CAN afford something better, or can afford to wait until you've saved up for something better, do that. But this is the most direct response I can give to your question.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wwbqBm

mkenyon

Banned
Well I exchanged the Seasonic X-850 for another and it too suffers from coil whine. I guess life decided to suck for me.
Try a different wall plug.

Try a different power plug from PSU->Wall

And are you sure your GPU's voltage is locked?

Schryver

One question and I should be ready to finish my build tonight.

I plan to leave my NZXT's front intake fans as they came and am adding a couple exhaust fans to pull air out of the top. The first H80i fan will be intake from the rear into the radiator. Which direction should I have the second fan going? I'm thinking into the case but maybe the other direction so more air can go into the radiator? (even though that air will be warm)

jett

D-Member
Try a different wall plug.

Try a different power plug from PSU->Wall

And are you sure your GPU's voltage is locked?

It's locked, I'd have to implement a custom bios, and I don't think I'm up for that. I guess I could try the other things you mentioned.

Thats a shame, 2 in a row, id say get something else. Whats your specs?

This is like the second brand of PSUs I try after a XFX one was way too loud. I only have a 4670k+280X, I got the X-850 mainly due to the fact that it would remain quiet even if I pushed my system as hard as possible. I was attracted to its fanless mode on idle, as well. I'll just deal with the cards I've been dealt for now...

Gumbie

Here's the specs:

Looks good man, glad you heard me out on the ironside recommendation. They do quality work and if you have any problems with the order they fix it, no questions asked

Yeah, last night i upgraded to an R9 270 OC paired with my trusty old Phenom II X6 1045T. I started a couple of Dolphin games it it seems to run fine, but i'm sure my CPU's limitations will become an issue once I really start playing.

I have been having a problem though.

I uninstalled my Catalyst, deleted the Catalyst install folder, and went into device manager and removed the graphics card driver.

I rebooted, and installed 14.4 from the AMD website.

Every game I've tried to play has frozen once I've started playing.

Unigen Valley glitched out, then froze.

On KPS I managed to launch into space, but the game froze on reentry.

Battlefield 3 wouldn't get passed the loading screen.

Mass Effect 2 glitched all to hell and froze.

When I get home I'll try to reseat the card, but does this sound like I may have gotten a lemon?

You should completely wipe out the drivers with DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) just to be on the safe side: DDU

A bit of an update on the parts I plan on getting:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SOC Force
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core
GPU: EVGA ACX Cooler 03G-P4-2784-KR GeForce GTX 780 Superclocked
Soundcard: Xonar DGX
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB
SSD (for OS): Crucial MX100 256GB SSD
SSD (for storage): Crucial MX100 512GB SSD
PSU: CoolerMaster V750
Heatsink: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case

Any tips or suggestions on this set up? It will be used heavily for gaming, video editing, and HD streaming/recording.

(also, side question. L.A. Noire: Good PC version?)

Any tips or suggestions on this set up? It will be used heavily for gaming, video editing, and HD streaming/recording.

I'd get a cheap 1TB HDD for storage if it's for movies, music, photos, etc.

Addnan

You can get a lower wattage PSU, but other than that it all looks solid. Maybe a HDD if you need the storage which I assume eventually will.

If you like to play a slideshow then yes :p It's locked at 30fps because of something physics thing. I enjoyed the game though.

Yeah if the interior is similar ( just smaller ) it definitely would be the best Mini ITX case. When is the release date?

Supposedly August for around $99. I am really interested in the 240, but don't want to wait that long. Will most likely end up getting the 540 air.

That's a pretty sweet build. Do they send a Youtube link to each customer once their build is finished?

No, it's a paid addition for like $40. I did it for GAF lol

Looks good man, glad you heard me out on the ironside recommendation. They do quality work and if you have any problems with the order they fix it, no questions asked

Thanks so much for the recommendation! I wasn't disappointed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom