• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
A bit of an update on the parts I plan on getting:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SOC Force
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core
GPU: EVGA ACX Cooler 03G-P4-2784-KR GeForce GTX 780 Superclocked
Soundcard: Xonar DGX
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB
SSD (for OS): Crucial MX100 256GB SSD
SSD (for storage): Crucial MX100 512GB SSD
PSU: CoolerMaster V750
Heatsink: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case

Any tips or suggestions on this set up? It will be used heavily for gaming, video editing, and HD streaming/recording.

(also, side question. L.A. Noire: Good PC version?)
Check the install videos in the second post. Watch a video guide for 212 install and make sure it is on the correct notches.
Other than that everything looks excellent.
What brands are typically the most recommended ones?
WD because I don't like Seagate.
So I believe I got the gyst of this. You can ignore my previous build because I was dumb. So I think I settled on this.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-Gaming 7

Total: 457.25 - Microcenter

GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 290 DirectCU II ($300 - B/S/T)
G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 ($83/Newegg)
SSHD: Seagate Hybrid Drive ST1000DX001 1TB MLC/8GB 64MB Cache SATA ($80/Newegg)
SSD: Crucial MX100 512GB SSD ($212/Newegg)
PSU: SeaSonic SSR-650RM 650W ($60/Newegg)
Heatsink: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO ($35/Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl ($80/Newegg)

Grand total: $1247.25

Price might go lower since I'll probably use Google Wallet for Newegg parts. I'm looking for a desktop to game, occasionally stream on Twitch and not have to worry about upgrading for a few years. Any feedback that needs tweaking or replacing to make it better/affordable/eliminate the unnecessary is welcomed since this is my first rig I'm ever building. I'm looking to build this in the next month.

Thanks!
I'm still not 100% on Hybrid drives and would go a 1TB Blue on my own system, but that's just because the flash is another thing to fail and I'd take a WD over it since I'm conservative and you have a giant SSD already.
Everything else looks great.
Looking to upgrade my from my HD 6870, since Divinity looks strange, and I think I'll need an upgrade for GTAV.

Is the 4GB card 760 worth the extra $30 over the 2GB version? - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
Not really, card lacks the raw power to make use of the extra RAM in most situations.
I read the third post, and the others, but I'm not sure which one suits my needs best. As for bullets

Your Current Specs: No current desktop
Budget: USA, preferably under $800
Main Use: General Usage (5) Gaming (4) Emulation (5)
Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Dolphin/PS2 Emulator
Looking to reuse any parts?: No
When will you build?: preferably before september
Will you be overclocking?: I don't know
Overclocking goes well with emulation if you want full speed on some titles.

'Great' build with a better PSU step up is perfect for you.
So i7's are the newest ones. Which is the best socket for them? I was thinking of purchasing the i7-4770, which is a LGA1150.
Might as well go 4790K for resale and a nice speed boost. Z97 is only socket. Mobos in OP.
Would an i5 2400 bottleneck a gtx 770?
Short answer: No
Long Answer: It's more by certain games (or parts in games) that the CPU can become the limiting factor. Will some games like MMO or RTS perform better with a 4790K? Yes. Same goes for an overclocked 3570K.

wilflare

okay here's my old rig... any idea what I can do with it?
Code:
AMD Phenom II X2 550BE @ X4 3.5GHz w/ Noctua U12P
MSi 790FX-GD70
Sapphire HD5830 Xtreme
DELL 2209WA
Corsair RM650 (Brand New since the Corsair HX620 died)

the following is my current system
Code:
Intel i5 4570 @ 3.2GHz
Asrock B85 Pro4
Asus R9 280X TOP DirectCUII
Kingston 2X4GB
Dell U2412M
Plextor M5Pro 128GB (OS) + WD 640GB Black (Data) + WD 1TB Green (Storage)
Pioneer DVR-217BK (20x)
Silverstone FT01
Seasonic M12II-750 Bronze
Audinst HUD-MX1 @ AE Aego M
Windows 8.1 Pro

was thinking of keeping the 2209WA as a second screen/vertical games
should I try to set-up the old rig as a secondary PC or just sell it for what's it is worth?

qeLPPKA.jpg

What is the difference here? Does it make a difference when it comes to SLI?

Edit: now I see the first one only has 1 slot derp. But what about the other two

2nd edit: nope I'm confused as fuck.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Oh ok...any big advantage from one to the other? The difference in price is like $10, should I just go with what I originally picked?
Go fasttttttttt, and no, it's like 0.1Ghz
pretty tempted to get this...
using the stock intel cooler for my i5
Get it for looks or get a 212 EVO for cheaper. Water really is a poor value choice for these current Intel chips.
qeLPPKA.jpg

What is the difference here? Does it make a difference when it comes to SLI?

Edit: now I see the first one only has 1 slot derp. But what about the other two

2nd edit: nope I'm confused as fuck.
x8 on PCI-E 3.0 is fine unless you are running $1,000 in GPU, even then it's about a 0-2% loss. Dun worry.

Okay all, stupid question, I just got all my parts in, and will be assembling shortly, but I still haven't purchased my gpu just yet, what all can I do with the integrated graphics on an I7 4770k? I figure it'll run the hell out of most "indie" games, which is all I really need it to do for about a month, but just how capable is it?

Sickbean

So here's the build I think I'm going with, any comments/suggestions welcome -

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI
GPU: Gigabyte Windforce OC GTX 780
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB
SSD: Samsung 840 (Already own this)
PSU: Corsair CX550 (Already own this)
Heatsink: Corsair H50 (Already own this)
Case: Fractal Node 304

jfoul

I'm looking for a backplate for an EVGA GTX 780 ACX SC. The blackplate from EVGA is okay, but I'm looking for something higher quality.

Any suggestions?

Lumine

So it looks like the store has every part except the case ready for me. So I'm thinking maybe I should go with another case. I could e-mail them and change the order. That way perhaps everything will arrive tomorrow after all. For now I got a Corsair Carbide Series 200R ordered. Thinking of maybe changing this to the 300R or 400R. I'm open to other suggestions as well of course. I don't really care for flimsy doors or side windows honestly, but I do like having USB ports in the front. Other than that I'd just like it to looks simple, clean and classy. Good airflow and noise reduction would be welcome of course as well. :)
So what do you guys think? 300R, 400R, wait for the 200R or something else entirely?

This is the link for cases on the site: http://azerty.nl/8-1042/behuizingen.html
This is for mid-towers (I don't think I need a full): http://azerty.nl/8-1044/-midtowermodel.html

Thanks in advance! :)

boneso

OK, i will keep this as short as i can while getting the important bits in. First of all, the specs (the ones that matter anyway):

FX8350
990xa-ud3
2x4gb corsair vengeance
ASUS directcuii R9 280X

I sold my PC to an online buyer and posted it in very secure packaging which showed no signs of damage when it arrived his end. Before i packed it up and sent it i did a clean install of windows, updated all the drivers for all of the components and ran all of the windows updates. I checked everything was working as it should, even used it for a whole day for video streaming, then packed it up and shipped it.

He has it his end and cannot boot windows past the "windows is starting" and/or "welcome" screen, it just goes black after that! BIOS loads no problem. He says there are some horizontal artifacts in the top left and bottom right of the screen on the "welcome" screen. It boots in safe mode with none of the problems mentioned above. I don't understand how it can be working fine my end and this happen when it gets there!?

So far we have checked the video output through dvi-i and hdmi on a an LCD monitor and HDTV, no change. Run "chkdsk" and "chkdsk /r" which returned no errors. Also removed and reseated the GPU and RAM.

Im guessing the next step would be Uninstall AMD drivers? How do you do this in safe mode? "uninstall a program" won't let us do it while in safe mode. After that "startup repair" from the boot disc? After that a fresh Windows install?

Any help from users who have experienced and solved a similar issue would be much appreciated. The last thing i want to do at this stage is give the guy a refund for faulty goods and arrange for the PC to be sent back, its a lot of hassle and will cost us both a lot of time and money. The good news is that he is a very understanding guy and we have very good phone communication. We both want to explore all possible fixes first.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

SHADES

for mining? Yes, it has the best performance per watt today
but it's tough choice if you only have 1 PCIe x16, a PCIe riser will help though

weird thing is, after I remove the GTX 760, GE still recommend "Ultra" setting for Tomb Raider... lol.. maybe I should reinstall the driver then

come on nVidia... gimme your 2nd Gen Maxwell :D

Ok cool, my MOBO has x2 PCIe x16 slots but it's only crossfire compatible, I'll look into it, thanks.

kiyomi

So it looks like the store has every part except the case ready for me. So I'm thinking maybe I should go with another case. I could e-mail them and change the order. That way perhaps everything will arrive tomorrow after all. For now I got a Corsair Carbide Series 200R ordered. Thinking of maybe changing this to the 300R or 400R. I'm open to other suggestions as well of course. I don't really care for flimsy doors or side windows honestly, but I do like having USB ports in the front. Other than that I'd just like it to looks simple, clean and classy. Good airflow and noise reduction would be welcome of course as well. :)
So what do you guys think? 300R, 400R, wait for the 200R or something else entirely?

This is the link for cases on the site: http://azerty.nl/8-1042/behuizingen.html
This is for mid-towers (I don't think I need a full): http://azerty.nl/8-1044/-midtowermodel.html

Thanks in advance! :)

200R will be fine, but what's your budget for a case right now? I can't see the 400R listed.

Lumine

Hey Monosukoi, thanks for the answer again! :)

I switched to the 300R. It was only 10 more and in stock. This way I should get everything tomorrow. :)

Apparently the 400R is now out of stock as well. The webstore automatically lists parts in stock first, which is why you probably didn't see it.

Thanks again for all the help Monosukoi! Hope everything gets here tomorrow, I can't wait! :)

Final order:
Asus Z-97A
Intel i5 4690K
MSI N780 TF 3GD5/OC
Corsair Vengeance - 8 GB : 2 x 4 GB
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Samsung 840 EVO Basic SSD - 250 GB
WD Red WD30EFRX 3TB
SeaSonic M12II EVO 620 Bronze
Samsung SH-224DB - DVD±RW
Corsair Carbide Series 300R

Total cost: ~€1250 :(

Asiriya

Neo Member
So with the 4670k sitting at £165 and the 4690k at £185, is the latter worth the extra £20? How about 4770k/4790k at £230/£250?

kiyomi

^ You should be able to get it cheaper than that no? I got my 4690K from Flubit for £158, but the Amazon price was £163 or something.

Lumine said:
Hey Monosukoi, thanks for the answer again! :)

I switched to the 300R. It was only 10 more and in stock. This way I should get everything tomorrow. :)

Apparently the 400R is now out of stock as well. The webstore automatically lists parts in stock first, which is why you probably didn't see it.

Thanks again for all the help Monosukoi! Hope everything gets here tomorrow, I can't wait! :)

Be sure to post pictures! My motherboard came today and I'll be building mine on Sunday. :)

mustardpoodle

Neo Member
My 2 month old Perixx PX 3000 is having issues with sticky keys, so that's about to get frisbee'd. Any recommendations on a budget gaming keyboard? Not fussed about mechanical!

shandy706

Argh! Newegg...why do you fail me?!

Typically they're on point, but I just checked tracking (it's probably UPS's fault) and my package isn't going to be delivered on time.

I ordered my GTX 780 on Tuesday with 2 day shipping. It said (when it shipped) that I would receive it by Thursday, July 3rd.

NOW...despite getting two day shipping...it says "delivery by Monday, July 7th. :'(

I have a 3 day weekend off from work and I'm no longer going to have my new GPU to mess with as I intended.

I'll be fine :). Just a little disappointed.

I'm looking for a bit of advice regarding a gaming PC build for a friend. He's visiting next weekend, and I need to build this PC for him to take home. In order to save him a bit of money, I'm hoping to reuse some components from his old PC which he will be bringing with him, but it's possible that I could order some parts to be delivered here to assemble ahead of time instead of waiting to do it all at the weekend.

The budget is £700.

The plan is to make a Mini ITX build, either using a BitFenix Prodigy or Corsair 250D case.

I'm hoping to reuse his existing PSU, which is a Coolermaster iGreen 600W from 2008 (that should be ok, right?).

I can reuse his optical and 500GB hard drive too, and I'm considering an MX100 256GB SSD if funds allow.

He wants the best CPU and GPU possible basically, but will only be running a single 1080p screen (for now). So I'm suggesting an H97 mobo, i7 4790 (3.6GHz, stock cooler) and GTX770, 8GB RAM. The case and components would come to about £630, which leaves just about enough budget for that SSD.

If we avoid the SSD, that £80 or so could be spent on a basic overclocking effort, swapping out the H97 for a Z97, maybe an i7 4770K instead, and a decent cooler.

What do you think? Is an i7 4790 overkill to be paired with a GTX770, in which case trying to overclock a 4770K would also be unnecessary? And therefore... would it make more sense to drop to something like an i5 4690, avoid the SSD and overclocking, and use the budget on a GTX 780 instead?

Can anyone recommend a good mount for a 27-40inch TV/monitor? Might pickup one of the new Seiki 4k models but there isn't enough room on my computer desk for a monitor that big.

The Llama

Been trying to overclock my GPU (R9 290, Sapphire Tri-X), and I know there's some variation in how high they can go, but I can only get it to 1050MHz on the core and 1350MHz on the RAM without artifacting. Given the stock clocks are 1000/1300, I'm pretty shocked thats as far as it'll go. Is there anything else I should be doing, or do I just have to accept that I got a crappy card (for OCing)? Temps are fine, btw. Pretty sure the fan never goes above ~25% and the hottest I've ever seen it is 76C.

Did this, my framerate in Unigen went from the high 90's low 100s to mid 60s low 70s, but it's not crashing anymore. Once I get everything situated I may try overclocking and see if I can get back to those numbers.

So far, every game is working except Battlefield 3. It still stalls on the loading screen. Any ideas?

What drivers are you using? It's an ATI card if I recall right?

Stubo

4590 > 4570 > 4460 > 4440 > 4430 > any of the S versions.

It's strange that they're so close together in price, but go 4590!

Diablos

I've been overclocking a bit, and OC genie upped my DRAM voltage from 1.5V->1.65V (now running at 859MHz per channel). I just ran the Blend test in Prime95 and it passed without fail.

Kind of worried about the voltage since my RAM is rated at 1.5V. But I've been using it for over a year now (but at stock) without any problems. Should I be okay?

I also have my 6300 up to 4.1GHz but I had to up the vcore to 1.4. Using the 970A-G46. I know it has VRM issues but my CPU is 95W so I'm thinking I should be okay. I also have air blowing right over the VRM's.

I notice that I get much better framerates (doesn't drop as much, at least) when using OC genie... manually setting the multiplier and vcore to support 4.1GHz doesn't help nearly as much. Must have to do with the NB and DRAM settings.

edit: Took it back down to 3750ish MHz with the DRAM voltage settings the same. Was unstable. I know this CPU is fine at 3.7-3.8 tho with my board. Just worried about the DRAM voltage... and I guess to a lesser extent NB but Prime95 keeps passing so that's a good sign.

Mascot

Help me, GAF.

If I build a gaming PC and keep it next door to my gaming room (plasterboard stud separating wall, not solid brick), will my wireless keyboard and mouse work in the gaming room? I mean, will the wireless signal get through OK?
Video and audio will be sent through an HDMI wall socket.

PS any tips for a good wireless keyboard?

Lumine

Bah, just received an e-mail that they're not sending everything until tomorrow at the earliest. Meaning I'll probably have to wait 'till Monday. Weekend ruined! I was so excited. I suppose I'll just have to be patient. :(

K' Dash

2 years ago I built my first gaming PC thanks to this thread and MKenyon who had all the patience to help me find the best parts for the budget I had, now, I need your help again guys, I'm thinking of upgrading my Video Card and was wondering if there's anything in my setup that could cause a bottleneck or maybe I should replace more parts, I don't know.

So this is my rig right now:

Motherboard -> Asus P8Z77-V LK Intel X58 DDR3 1066 LGA 1155
CPU -> Intel Core i5-2500K Processor (OC'd to 4.2GHz)
Video Card -> Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2 GB DDR5
RAM -> Corsair 8 GB Vengeance Blue Low Profile 1600mhz PC3-12800 240-pin Dual Channel DDR3
Heatsink -> Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler, RR-B10-212P-G1
PSU -> Antec BP550 Plus 550W ATX12V V2.3 Modular Power Supply
HDD -> Caviar Black 1TB

I want to upgrade my Video Card with a EVGA 780, is there going to be a problem with this configuration?, I think I will need a bigger PSU and I don't know if my 2500K will bottleneck anything.

Thanks in advance.

kharma45

2 years ago I built my first gaming PC thanks to this thread and MKenyon who had all the patience to help me find the best parts for the budget I had, now, I need your help again guys, I'm thinking of upgrading my Video Card and was wondering if there's anything in my setup that could cause a bottleneck or maybe I should replace more parts, I don't know.

So this is my rig right now:

Motherboard -> Asus P8Z77-V LK Intel X58 DDR3 1066 LGA 1155
CPU -> Intel Core i5-2500K Processor
Video Card -> Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2 GB DDR5
RAM -> Corsair 8 GB Vengeance Blue Low Profile 1600mhz PC3-12800 240-pin Dual Channel DDR3
Heatsink -> Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler, RR-B10-212P-G1
PSU -> Antec BP550 Plus 550W ATX12V V2.3 Modular Power Supply
HDD -> Caviar Black 1TB

I want to upgrade my Video Card with a EVGA 780, is there going to be a problem with this configuration?, I think I will need a bigger PSU and I don't know if my 2500K will bottleneck anything.

Thanks in advance.

PSU is fine for a 780. OC your 2500K.

I'm looking for a bit of advice regarding a gaming PC build for a friend. He's visiting next weekend, and I need to build this PC for him to take home. In order to save him a bit of money, I'm hoping to reuse some components from his old PC which he will be bringing with him, but it's possible that I could order some parts to be delivered here to assemble ahead of time instead of waiting to do it all at the weekend.

The budget is £700.

The plan is to make a Mini ITX build, either using a BitFenix Prodigy or Corsair 250D case.

I'm hoping to reuse his existing PSU, which is a Coolermaster iGreen 600W from 2008 (that should be ok, right?).

I can reuse his optical and 500GB hard drive too, and I'm considering an MX100 256GB SSD if funds allow.

He wants the best CPU and GPU possible basically, but will only be running a single 1080p screen (for now). So I'm suggesting an H97 mobo, i7 4790 (3.6GHz, stock cooler) and GTX770, 8GB RAM. The case and components would come to about £630, which leaves just about enough budget for that SSD.

If we avoid the SSD, that £80 or so could be spent on a basic overclocking effort, swapping out the H97 for a Z97, maybe an i7 4770K instead, and a decent cooler.

What do you think? Is an i7 4790 overkill to be paired with a GTX770, in which case trying to overclock a 4770K would also be unnecessary? And therefore... would it make more sense to drop to something like an i5 4690, avoid the SSD and overclocking, and use the budget on a GTX 780 instead?
Quoting my post for the new page. Any advice appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom