• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinbo37

To make sure that there are no conflicts, you should disable the onboard sound in the BIOS/UEFI, although normally this shouldn't be an issue.
Imo you shouldn't try to use both sound cards at the same time, I'm not even sure if that's possible.
I'm also pretty sure that you'll get better sound by using an optical cable instead of the analog outs.

Unfortunately you cannot pass uncompressed 5.1 out of optical, so you can get weird results sometimes depending on your source.

EG - If I play a retail DVD and select 5.1 it works fine through optical. But if I download a movie and select the 5.1 audio track it doesnt work properly. Then you need aftermarket programs like FFDshow or AC3filter. I dont really want to mess with that.

I guess i cant hurt anything too bad if I try to keep both onboard sound and soundcard working at the same time. I read online someone said they run game audio out from their soundcard and skype audio out from their TV speakers, that would be awesome If I could figure that out.

no maam

Banned
Sorry for posting a lot in this thread, I just trust gaf over any other site. I'm gonna be building a pc for my gf. She's going to be doing a lot of work with premiere and Photoshop. So my questions are. Is there a huge difference between an i5 vs i7 for editing, which ram is good for that stuff, and if I give her my 680,will it help her out, or should I sell it to a gamer? Thanks so much.

kennah

Sorry for posting a lot in this thread, I just trust gaf over any other site. I'm gonna be building a pc for my gf. She's going to be doing a lot of work with premiere and Photoshop. So my questions are. Is there a huge difference between an i5 vs i7 for editing, which ram is good for that stuff, and if I give her my 680,will it help her out, or should I sell it to a gamer? Thanks so much.
I7 would be better. How much or if it's worth the money is debatable. If this is professional then sure get the i7, it it's more hobby then the i5 won't hold it back. But I find that disk speed is the me limiting factor these days than processor speed. 680 would be a great card for those applications. Premiere especially can take advantage of a good gpu

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Thinking about getting a Bitfenix Phenom even though I have a mostly perfectly fine case. Somebody convince me that buying one and going mini-ITX is an awful idea.

Like my X650 PSU wouldn't fit or ITX is just bad.

LilJoka

Thinking about getting a Bitfenix Phenom even though I have a mostly perfectly fine case. Somebody convince me that buying one and going mini-ITX is an awful idea.

Like my X650 PSU wouldn't fit or ITX is just bad.

ITX is great lol.
But Bitefenix selection is not great since those cases can really fit mATX, so its not good use of space.

Consider some other cases like Silverstone RVZ01 (your psu wont fit this one), Fractal Design Node 304, EVGA Hadron, NCASE M1 (if you can get one!! V3 is on pre order $180). Coolermaster and Silvertone have a few other ITX cases too. Check out Parvum cases too.

M3z_

Cross posting

Parting our PC, all prices final, cash only, only ship to US48

GTX 980 Strix $470ea. Shipped

v5zgK8hl.jpg

Z87 Asus Formula V $160 shipped

i7 4770k $180 Shipped

Motherboard + CPU $300 shipped

Kingston Beast 2400MHz DDR3 Ram 8GB $40 shipped

rzcBvcSl.jpg

Enermax Platimax 1000 watt modular PSU $150

9WkQDADl.jpg

Enosh

should be getting a new PC next week and have some stupid HDD/SSD related questions:

-what do people usually put on a SSD besides windows? kinda seems like a waste buying a 120GB one for just windows, should I put my music, videos etc on it? what about frequently played games?
-what about browser? apparently it's bad for SSDs to do a lot of writing, would it be better to put it on the HDD?
-is there any benefit to partition the HDD? like one partition for just games and one for all the other crap (programs, music if I don't put it on the SSD etc) or does it not matter if windows is already on the SSD and I can just do a "games" and "other" folder?

tarheel91

z4D3mo9.png

I assume this is bad. The fire implies that it's bad.

I've went in there with a compressed air thing and dusted the best I could but it still gives me these temps. Are both my CPU and GPU about to die? I've had both for about..3/4 years. i5-2500k and 560ti.

Are you doing anything while getting these temps. 50-60C is not a big deal nor is it going to harm your computer. It is high, though, if you're not doing anything.

no maam

Banned
I7 would be better. How much or if it's worth the money is debatable. If this is professional then sure get the i7, it it's more hobby then the i5 won't hold it back. But I find that disk speed is the me limiting factor these days than processor speed. 680 would be a great card for those applications. Premiere especially can take advantage of a good gpu
Thanks a lot buddy. I appreciate your response. Glad the 680 can be useful for premiere, I was worried it wouldn't. Anyways thanks everyone for answering my previous questions! I just started my upgrade which I was going to wait till next year for. New Gpu,ssd,CPU cooler,case, and psu(modular). Wallet will feel a lot better once skylake and the 1151's come out. Once again, thanks!

-what do people usually put on a SSD besides windows?
-Software, including currently played games.
-Documents, or anything else small that can benefit from fast access times.
should I put my music, videos etc on it?
No, unless you record/edit them yourself, or you are an audiophile who has a very quiet PC and doesn't want to hear the HDD working.
what about frequently played games?
absolutely. Move games to HDD when you don't play them anymore, move them back to SSD if you replay them.
-what about browser? apparently it's bad for SSDs to do a lot of writing
SSDs are much tougher than some people give them credit for, it's practically impossible to hit write limits as desktop user. Maybe in some thousand years.
See SSD Endurance Test
-is there any benefit to partition the HDD? like one partition for just games and one for all the other crap (programs, music if I don't put it on the SSD etc) or does it not matter if windows is already on the SSD and I can just do a "games" and "other" folder?
If you don't need different file systems (e.g. for mac/linux) and don't need a separate recovery partition, I find them useless.

RGM79

Does anyone know where I could buy new screws for a Thermaltake New Soprano?

You mean standoffs or case screws? Computer case screws come in a few standardized sizes for different purposes, you can see their names and sizes here. PC parts shops may carry them in convenient packages containing all of each type, but I imagine you could find them yourself at hardware stores for cheaper.

JordanN

Banned
How come my computer works fine in safe mode but when I try to boot normally, after the windows logo the screen just goes blue and I can only move my mouse cursor?

My computer worked fine yesterday, and all the drivers are up to date. I've also unmounted and mounted all my hardware so wtf keeps going wrong? I really don't want to reformat again for the 4th time.

knitoe

How come my computer works fine in safe mode but when I try to boot normally, after the windows logo the screen just goes blue and I can only move my mouse cursor?

My computer worked fine yesterday, and all the drivers are up to date. I've also unmounted and mounted all my hardware so wtf keeps going wrong? I really don't want to reformat again for the 4th time.
Did you check ram and OS drive for any errors?

JordanN

Banned
Here are some messages from the Event Viewer. This was around the time the computer first froze

The description for Event ID 27 from source e1iexpress cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Intel(R) 82578DC Gigabit Network Connection

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table
A provider, WpcWebSyncProv, has been registered in the Windows Management Instrumentation namespace ROOT\CIMV2\Applications\WindowsParentalControls to use the LocalSystem account. This account is privileged and the provider may cause a security violation if it does not correctly impersonate user requests.
DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments "Unavailable" in order to run the server:
{B52D54BB-4818-4EB9-AA80-F9EACD371DF8}

LilJoka

Here are some messages from the Event Viewer. This was around the time the computer first froze

Possibly a failing drive if youve installed Windows 3 times already in a short period.
If you can slave the drive in another machine you could check the SMART statistics to check the health of the drive.

Go into safe mode
Hit windows key + R, type msconfig and hit enter.
In startup tab, disable everything.
In the services tab, select "Hide Microsoft services", then disable everything that is left from 3rd parties.
Now try boot normal mode.

JordanN

Banned
Possibly a failing drive if youve installed Windows 3 times already in a short period.
If you can slave the drive in another machine you could check the SMART statistics to check the health of the drive.

Go into safe mode
Hit windows key + R, type msconfig and hit enter.
In startup tab, disable everything.
In the services tab, select "Hide Microsoft services", then disable everything that is left from 3rd parties.
Now try boot normal mode.
I'll be surprised if it's the hard drives. I've been able to move and delete things on it freely.

I disabled the 3rd party services. It's still freezing up on boot.

This is the screen I see after the windows logo disappears.

JordanN

Banned
Oh my god, I finally fixed it.

Turns out Windows hates DVI cables. Just switched it to an HDMI and it runs like normal.

The only downside now is I can't run my second monitor (cintiq tablet).

Having used DVI cables across two different monitors for the past 10+ years with quite a few different Windows versions I can definitely assure you that Windows does not necessarily hate DVI cables ;)

kaskade

So I bought a new case (NZXT s340) and a corsair h100i for my CPU. Can't wait to have a nice clean case. I see that the h100i comes with paste applied so should I just use a little rubbing alcohol to remove the old paste off the CPU.

mm04

So what's the typical overclock rate for an i5 4690K? I've run Prime95 for a couple of hours at 4ghz with 64C at the highest temp at stock voltage. I'm very impressed so far with this build.

Flandy

Hey guys is it possible to change the sound the speaker attached to the motherboard makes when I turn my computer on? It sounds exactly like my alarm clock so I fucking hate it. Would much rather have it be the same sound as my PS3/4 lol

The Llama

So what's the typical overclock rate for an i5 4690K? I've run Prime95 for a couple of hours at 4ghz with 64C at the highest temp at stock voltage. I'm very impressed so far with this build.

I'd say 4.2-4.4GHz. You don't really need to, but you can almost definitely go a bit higher than that.

LilJoka

Hey guys is it possible to change the sound the speaker attached to the motherboard makes when I turn my computer on? It sounds exactly like my alarm clock so I fucking hate it. Would much rather have it be the same sound as my PS3/4 lol

Cant change the sound, but you can likely disable it in the BIOS.

From overclock.net

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvOpIsGT1cQAdEFvV2lQWVd1OWo2a2ZlTkxjdWVtUmc&usp=sharing&output=html

You can get a good idea here.

Also what do you mean stock voltage? Its only stock if its using manual vcore, the offset option will be different for each multiplier at +0.00v, and obviously AUTO will just increase it to how it sees fit.

And what version of Prime95? Cooling?

So I bought a new case (NZXT s340) and a corsair h100i for my CPU. Can't wait to have a nice clean case. I see that the h100i comes with paste applied so should I just use a little rubbing alcohol to remove the old paste off the CPU.

Corsair use some of the best paste, so stick with what they got. Use rubbing alcohol to clean the CPU for the best result as youve said. I usually use kitchen roll to get 90% of the paste off the CPU before going in with the rubbing alcohol and cloth/more kitchen roll.

I've never used a non-stock cooler for CPUs, but my next upgrade with Skylake this year has me thinking I'll look into OCing.

1. How much better than stock cooling are aftermarket air coolers?
2. How difficult is it to install alternate coolers?
3. How much better are liquid coolers, roughly?
4. Do you need to constantly "top up" liquid coolers?

I've never used a non-stock cooler for CPUs, but my next upgrade with Skylake this year has me thinking I'll look into OCing.

1. A lot better, sorry if thats vague but I install mine pretty quickly after purchase. Generally they are about 10-30C cooler depending on what you get, look up bench marks bra.

2. Easy as piss, they clip in.

3. Harder to set up, quieter. I CBF installing one, however if you do it all the time, you wont care and you are just getting a quieter rig. Depends on how much you care Iguess.

4. I heard it was every 3-6 months depending on the set up.

NoRéN

2. Easy as piss, they clip in.
Depends on the particular cooler.
3. Harder to set up, quieter. I CBF installing one, however if you do it all the time, you wont care and you are just getting a quieter rig. Depends on how much you care Iguess
Once again, depends on the coolers in question. I can't imagine someone saying that when comparing a hyper 212 with a Corsair H60. Now, the noctuas seem easy to set up.
4. I heard it was every 3-6 months depending on the set up.
I can't recall needing to do this with AIO coolers like Corsair's.

RGM79

1. If you're going to be doing anything above low end overclocking (around 4.0GHz or higher), an aftermarket cooler is highly recommended and pretty much required. Aftermarket coolers are nice to have even when not overclocking just to keep the system running cooler under load and because in my experience, the bundled Intel cooler can get quiet loud.

2. It varies due to different manufacturers and socket types having different mounting systems. I don't find the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus/Evo to be very difficult, but some first time builders here say it was very difficult. Generally for air coolers it's easier to install either the backplate or the entire air cooler before placing the motherboard in the case, then I just lower the motherboard into the case and secure it. Water coolers are easier to install when the motherboard is already in the case, I feel.

Custom loop water cooling is an entirely different beast, that requires DIY knowhow, some design thought, and plumbing, as well as costing a hefty premium.

3. Varies from test to test to test. The best possible AIOwater coolers that cost around $130 seem to generally beat out the best possible air coolers that cost around $100 by a few or couple of degrees, but if I were to consider options at the same price level, I'd usually lean toward air coolers.

Water coolers will rarely ever beat or match air coolers in terms of price-to-performance, that much is certain.

4. Doesn't apply to sealed, pre-assembled water cooling kits, no idea about custom loop coolers.

LilJoka

1. If you're going to be doing anything above low end overclocking (around 4.0GHz or higher), an aftermarket cooler is highly recommended and pretty much required. Aftermarket coolers are nice to have even when not overclocking just to keep the system running cooler under load and because in my experience, the bundled Intel cooler can get quiet loud.

2. It varies due to different manufacturers and socket types having different mounting systems. I don't find the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus/Evo to be very difficult, but some first time builders here say it was very difficult. Generally for air coolers it's easier to install either the backplate or the entire air cooler before placing the motherboard in the case, then I just lower the motherboard into the case and secure it. Water coolers are easier to install when the motherboard is already in the case, I feel.

Custom loop water cooling is an entirely different beast, that requires DIY knowhow, some design thought, and plumbing, as well as costing a hefty premium.

3. Varies from test to test to test. The best possible AIOwater coolers that cost around $130 seem to generally beat out the best possible air coolers that cost around $100 by a few or couple of degrees, but if I were to consider options at the same price level, I'd usually lean toward air coolers.

Water coolers will rarely ever beat or match air coolers in terms of price-to-performance, that much is certain.

4. Doesn't apply to sealed, pre-assembled water cooling kits, no idea about custom loop coolers.

4. I have my first custom loop setup for nearly a year. Although its a small loop, the reservoir is still as full as when i filled it initially.

1. A lot. At stock speeds for my 2500K I saw a reduction of 15-20C on idle and under load. I'm OC'ed for now just to 4.0ghz, but my temps are still LOWER than they were at stock speed on the stock intel cooler.

2. Watch some youtube videos and you will be fine. I just watched a few for the hyper evo 212, and I didn't have much trouble, it was harder to remove my mobo from my case than to install the cooler.

I would say grab an evo 212 and install it just for the learning factor. I did it for that as well as to learn how to OC a bit, and my next full build I'll be ordering a cooler with my parts for sure.

Sorry really dumb question here... I am scooping up a PC from. Coworker for trading a ps4.

When I was planning on building my own, I was going to get an aftermarket cooler for the cpu.

The PC I am receiving has an i7 4770k. It has the stock intell heat sink. I am completely lost at this point if I would want to over clock slightly, what options do I have? I should buy a new fan correct? When I do this will it also be removing the thermal paste from the old one? Or is it just un hooking and adding the new one?

Sorry really dumb question here... I am scooping up a PC from. Coworker for trading a ps4.

When I was planning on building my own, I was going to get an aftermarket cooler for the cpu.

The PC I am receiving has an i7 4770k. It has the stock intell heat sink. I am completely lost at this point if I would want to over clock slightly, what options do I have? I should buy a new fan correct? When I do this will it also be removing the thermal paste from the old one? Or is it just un hooking and adding the new one?
Yes, buy new cooler, unhook old one, clean the paste, apply new paste, hook the new cooler in. Relatively easy to do.

FeD.nL

I don't know if this is the place but i'm looking to replace my current gaming laptop for a new one. I'm looking at 15 inch models but i'm kinda lost at what would be good for my budget (max. 2000 euros).

I know a desktop is much better bang for your buck but I simply don't have the space for a desktop atm. I looked at that alienware 15 because of the graphics amplifier, or at least the idea of getting one down the line when I need a power boost but i'm not sure if it's the right decision.

If anyone could shine a light at what are good models to choose from in the 15 inch category with my budget it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

rtcn63

^ You can't even fit something like a Corsair 250D or Fractal Node? Don't know if they still make 15" screens though.

250D-14.jpg

d36695ab_IMG_1018.jpeg

FeD.nL

^ You can't even fit something like a Corsair 250D or Fractal Node? Don't know if they still make 15" screens though.

http://img.hexus.net/v2/chassis/Corsair/250D/250D-14.jpg[/IG]
[IMG]http://cdn.overclock.net/d/d3/d36695ab_IMG_1018.jpeg[/IG][/QUOTE]

My room is 14m2 and the main reason I'm looking at a laptop is that I can just store it away for dinner or when I have to do some studying since I have only one desk.

laxu

1. From a noise and cooling perspective, much better.
  2. For many you may need to remove the motherboard to install the backplate where the cooler is connected. Ease depends on how cramped your case is and specific cooler model.
  3. Not necessarily any better. I moved from a proper liquid cooling (big radiator etc) back to big air cooler (Phanteks) and the noise is about the same (very quiet) and the temps stay low. You might get pump noise especially on those all-in-one coolers that are available now. The difficult part is mounting the radiator, there's often not a good spot for it in a case. IMO those AIO coolers are not worth it but if you want to make a proper setup where also the GPU is watercooled then liquid might be worth considering.
  4. You need to top up them occasionally, not very often though. The 3-6 months mentioned earlier sounds about right.

NoRéN

Well yes but those are overpriced noisy pieces of shit and they were speaking about real water cooling

Pieces of shit? I must have missed the reports of them not working along with the mention of "real" water cooling.

ThoseDeafMutes, looks like you should PM mkenyon. Dude's built custom loops. If you're gonna get an opinion, might as well be from someone who been there and done it.

Yes, buy new cooler, unhook old one, clean the paste, apply new paste, hook the new cooler in. Relatively easy to do.

Appreciate the response, what paste do you suggest for that cpu and I was looking into the cm hyper 212 evo from the build sheets.

Any suggestions to clean off the previous thermal paste? Or any other fan suggestions?

abracadaver

-what do people usually put on a SSD besides windows? kinda seems like a waste buying a 120GB one for just windows, should I put my music, videos etc on it? what about frequently played games?

- Games with long loading times (DNF)
- Games that load frequently (Dead Rising 2)

Never put music or videos on a SSD. There is no benefit at all.

rtcn63

Appreciate the response, what paste do you suggest for that cpu and I was looking into the cm hyper 212 evo from the build sheets.

Any suggestions to clean off the previous thermal paste? Or any other fan suggestions?

Most coolers should come with (some) thermal paste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom