• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Appreciate the response, what paste do you suggest for that cpu and I was looking into the cm hyper 212 evo from the build sheets.

Any suggestions to clean off the previous thermal paste? Or any other fan suggestions?

You can use coffee filter to clean, as it doesn't give off small bits when wet.

I use this substance combo to clean. Just apply 2 drops of the bottle number 1 on the CPU, leave it there for like 5 mins, then use the coffee filter to clean it up. Then do the same for bottle 2.

For paste you can use the one that comes with the cooler, but this is another common alternative for like 2 degrees cooler when under load.

For fan the stock 212 fan is good enough for me, but if you want you can look into this noctua fan.

Hi all, I'm looking to upgrade my PC, basically to play Witcher 3 although I am long due an upgrade anyway. My current PC was built in early 2009 and had a few upgrades along the way, it's a dual core E8600 OC'd to 4.0ghz, 4GB RAM, ASUS P5Q motherboard, AMD 6950, in an Antec 300 case which I had to butcher by twisting the drive bays with a pair of pliers to fit the 6950 in. It still plays games pretty well but I know it won't play Witcher 3 plus a whole load of other games that will require more than two cores now the new console generation is underway.

Primary use will be games. I'm going to re-use the PSU, which is a 650W Antec EA-650 GB EarthWatts that I only got a few years ago. Otherwise everything else will be new. I'm not going to replace the monitor and peripherals just yet as they're functional for now and I'm building a man cave in the garden so will be hooking up the PC to a Samsung TV via HDMI. I also want to get one of those gsync IPS high refresh monitors that are coming out soon so don't want an interim monitor.

Ideally budget will be around £1000. Here's a stupid build I put together a while back.

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/vJQG6h
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/vJQG6h/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£260.34 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 74.4 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£62.90 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus Z97I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard (£110.06 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory (£130.96 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£139.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£43.05 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB STRIX Video Card (£479.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Aerocool DS Cube Black Edition Silent Cube MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£61.43 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £1288.71
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-02 19:55 GMT+0000

I copied the Chillblast Fusion Probe Strix Edition because apart from the disgusting case I reckon it looks like a good build. I also realise I could probably save a lot of money and only give up a marginal amount of performance. Any advice on a sensible build that will last a few years would be much appreciated. Is it worth going x99 at this stage?

LilJoka

Hi all, I'm looking to upgrade my PC, basically to play Witcher 3 although I am long due an upgrade anyway. My current PC was built in early 2009 and had a few upgrades along the way, it's a dual core E8600 OC'd to 4.0ghz, 4GB RAM, ASUS P5Q motherboard, AMD 6950, in an Antec 300 case which I had to butcher by twisting the drive bays with a pair of pliers to fit the 6950 in. It still plays games pretty well but I know it won't play Witcher 3 plus a whole load of other games that will require more than two cores now the new console generation is underway.

Primary use will be games. I'm going to re-use the PSU, which is a 650W Antec EA-650 GB EarthWatts that I only got a few years ago. Otherwise everything else will be new. I'm not going to replace the monitor and peripherals just yet as they're functional for now and I'm building a man cave in the garden so will be hooking up the PC to a Samsung TV via HDMI. I also want to get one of those gsync IPS high refresh monitors that are coming out soon so don't want an interim monitor.

Ideally budget will be around £1000. Here's a stupid build I put together a while back.

Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory (£130.96 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£43.05 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Aerocool DS Cube Black Edition Silent Cube MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£61.43 @ CCL Computers)

I copied the Chillblast Fusion Probe Strix Edition because apart from the disgusting case I reckon it looks like a good build. I also realise I could probably save a lot of money and only give up a marginal amount of performance. Any advice on a sensible build that will last a few years would be much appreciated. Is it worth going x99 at this stage?

Some possible tweaks

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler (£46.99 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£104.78 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£38.97 @ Dabs)
Video Card: GALAX GeForce GTX 980 4GB SOC Video Card (£449.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case (£59.40 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £1210.11
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-02 20:23 GMT+0000

Rather go air for quiteness. Case is smaller and more compact.

Thanks for the cooling advice guys. I'll probably get some air cooler when I'm upgrading due to me being the laziest prick in the southern hemisphere. Hope Skylake desktop is awesome.

RGM79

Unless you were willing to spend more and/or cut back on the graphics card, X99 would be out of this budget's price range. You won't gain too much by moving to X99, games currently rarely need more than 4 cores.

Here's the sensible build. Just about £1000 with marginal performance loss. It's based on your build, same graphics card and case, I assumed you wanted the computer to be that size. It'll last you 2~3 years before needing an upgrade, longer with overclocking and if you don't mind turning game settings to less than maximum.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£180.99 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.50 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£107.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Kingston Savage 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory (£50.90 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£79.85 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Toshiba 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£79.44 @ Scan.co.uk)
Video Card: Palit GeForce GTX 980 4GB Super JetStream Video Card (£420.94 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Aerocool DS Cube White Edition Silent Cube MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£53.76 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £999.34
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-02 20:27 GMT+0000

Omikaru

I hope this is the right thread: I'm considering an upgrade on my current PC. Here's my specs:

Core i5 2500K
Can't remember the motherboard (only that it supports up to 32gb RAM)
8gb DDR3 RAM (2x4gb Corsair Vengeance -- I forget the speed but I think it's 1600)
120gb SSD (I've forgotten the manufacturer, but I think it's OCZ)
2TB Samsung 7200rpm HDD
MSI GTX 560Ti

This build has served me well for a number of years, but I think it's time for an upgrade. Really, what I want is in the short term something to play Dead Rising 3 on, as I'm not happy with it on the 560Ti. In the longer term, I want to be realistic, but something that will play most games at reasonable settings and a solid framerate for some years to come, as my current build has done. I'm looking to get The Witcher 3 and Arkham Knight on PC if I can.

The computer has a permanent place in my home entertainment center, so 1080p is the maximum resolution I want to go up to.

I can afford up to a GTX 970, but if that's overkill considering the above then I'd rather not spend the extra cash, and just get something cheaper instead.

Can one of you recommend me a suitable graphics card? Also, are the rest of my components fine? I'm pretty dead set on keeping the CPU, but in the longer term I can afford to put another 8gb of RAM in if necessary. Graphics card is my priority right now.

RGM79

How does a 7950 hold up these days? Thinking of picking one up.

Thanks.

The 7950 was rebadged as the current R9 280, which is decent for 1080p. How much are you paying for it?

I hope this is the right thread: I'm considering an upgrade on my current PC. Here's my specs:

Core i5 2500K
Can't remember the motherboard (only that it supports up to 32gb RAM)
8gb DDR3 RAM (2x4gb Corsair Vengeance -- I forget the speed but I think it's 1600)
120gb SSD (I've forgotten the manufacturer, but I think it's OCZ)
2TB Samsung 7200rpm HDD
MSI GTX 560Ti

This build has served me well for a number of years, but I think it's time for an upgrade. Really, what I want is in the short term something to play Dead Rising 3 on, as I'm not happy with it on the 560Ti. In the longer term, I want to be realistic, but something that will play most games at reasonable settings and a solid framerate for some years to come, as my current build has done. I'm looking to get The Witcher 3 and Arkham Knight on PC if I can.

The computer has a permanent place in my home entertainment center, so 1080p is the maximum resolution I want to go up to.

I can afford up to a GTX 970, but if that's overkill considering the above then I'd rather not spend the extra cash, and just get something cheaper instead.

Can one of you recommend me a suitable graphics card? Also, are the rest of my components fine? I'm pretty dead set on keeping the CPU, but in the longer term I can afford to put another 8gb of RAM in if necessary. Graphics card is my priority right now.
What case do you have? That will help in determining what size graphics card and cooler your case can accommodate. Also, where are you buying parts?

I don't know how much you want to spend on a graphics card, but for price to performance in the $200-250 range (assuming you're in the US) the best options are the R9 280X and the R9 290, like this XFX R9 280X for $219 after $30 rebate or this XFX R9 290 for $248 after $30 rebate

Buy a cheap CPU cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo ($30) if you don't already have one (and if it fits your case) and overclock the 2500K, lots of helpful information and guides here. When overclocked to around 4.5GHz, it'll compete on par with current Intel i5 processors like the 4690K.

Another 4 or 8GB of RAM would also help. Having 12GB of RAM should be enough, but going with 16GB in total wouldn't hurt. It'd be best to find out exactly what model of RAM you have (use a tool like CPU-Z), mixing different manufacturer and speed for RAM should work fine in theory, but for the sake of compatibility we should recommend you something that fits well.

Overall, expect to spend somewhere around $350 or less for graphics, RAM, and CPU cooler upgrades? I don't know how much you intend to spend, but this seems reasonable considering that a GTX 970 costs around that much by itself and the R9 290 can deliver slightly less but comparable performance.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Team Xtreem Dark Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($247.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $331.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-02 16:04 EST-0500

Omikaru

What case do you have? That will help in determining what size graphics card and cooler your case can accommodate.

I don't know how much you want to spend on a graphics card, but for price to performance in the $200-250 range (assuming you're in the US), the best options are the R9 280X and the R9 290, like this XFX R9 280X for $219 after $30 rebate or this XFX R9 290 for $248 after $30 rebate

Buy a cheap CPU cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo ($30) if you don't already have one (and if it fits your case) and overclock the 2500K, lots of helpful information and guides here. When overclocked to around 4.5GHz, it'll compete on par with current Intel i5 processors like the 4690K.

Another 4 or 8GB of RAM would also help. Having 12GB of RAM should be enough, but going with 16GB in total wouldn't hurt. It'd be best to find out exactly what model of RAM you have (use a tool like CPU-Z), mixing different manufacturer and speed for RAM should work fine in theory, but for the sake of compatibility we should recommend you something that fits well.

Overall, expect to spend somewhere around $350 or less for graphics, RAM, and CPU cooler upgrades? I don't know how much you intend to spend, but this seems reasonable considering that a GTX 970 costs around that much by itself and the R9 290 can deliver slightly less but comparable performance.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Team Xtreem Dark Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($247.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $331.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-02 16:04 EST-0500

Thanks for the speedy reply.

My case is GIGABYTE 3D Aurora 570. For what it's worth, this case is an old stayover from my previous PC, which had a Radeon 4870 X2 inside of it. That was a pretty big card, if I remember correctly, so I'm not too worried about size.

I'm in the UK, and my max budget for the immediate upgrade is about £280. Over the next six months I'm happy to put another £100 in for any RAM, cooler upgrades. I have considered overclocking the 2500K (actually, the reason I'm hanging onto it is because it's a good one to OC, from what I remember).

I just looked it up, and my RAM is Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600​C9B Vengeance. I can get another 8gb for £60, which is reasonable. As for the cooler, I actually have one that looks very similar to the one you've listed. I just looked up my order for it on eBuyer and found it is this. Is that adequate for overclocking?

I have a 650W PSU, by the way. That R9 290 is well within my price range (about £230 according to PCPartPicker), but will my PSU cope with that?

mkenyon

Banned
Hey guys,

My Razor Saga Molten mouse wheel has just decided to kick the bucket. Any suggestions on a replacement?
Short list:
- Microsoft WMO 1.1
- Microsoft IMO 1.1
- Microsoft IME 3.0
- Zowie FK
- Zowie AM
- Zowie FK1
- Zowie EC1 CL
- Zowie EC1 eVo
- Zowie EC2 CL
- Zowie EC2 eVo
- Razer Deathadder 3G
- Razer Deathadder 3.5G
- Razer Deathadder 2013
- Razer Abyssus
- Logitech G400
- Logitech G400s
- Logitech G502
- Steelseries Kana V2
- Steelseries Rival
- Mionix Avoir 7000
- Cooler Master Storm Spawn
- Cooler master Storm Alcor
- Roccat Savu
- Roccat Kone Pure Optical
- Roccat Kone Pure Military
- Mad Catz R.A.T. 3
- Corsair M45
- Corsair Sabre Optical
- Logitech G402
- Logitech G302

If you absolutely need a fuckton of side buttons and the G502 doesn't cut it, probably the Logi G600.

My case is GIGABYTE 3D Aurora 570. For what it's worth, this case is an old stayover from my previous PC, which had a Radeon 4870 X2 inside of it. That was a pretty big card, if I remember correctly, so I'm not too worried about size.

I'm in the UK, and my max budget for the immediate upgrade is about £280. Over the next six months I'm happy to put another £100 in for any RAM, cooler upgrades. I have considered overclocking the 2500K (actually, the reason I'm hanging onto it is because it's a good one to OC, from what I remember).

I just looked it up, and my RAM is Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600​C9B Vengeance. I can get another 8gb for £60, which is reasonable. As for the cooler, I actually have one that looks very similar to the one you've listed. I just looked up my order for it on eBuyer and found it is this. Is that adequate for overclocking?

I have a 650W PSU, by the way. That R9 290 is well within my price range (about £230 according to PCPartPicker), but will my PSU cope with that?
Yes, that cooler should be fine for a nice 4.0-4.4 overclock. Just increase volts to 1.3, put it at 4.2 GHz, and see where it's at temps-wise.

We'd need a better idea of what kind of PSU it is in specific before okay'ing that portion. If you can take a picture of the side of it, or just list a model, that'll be fantastic.

LilJoka

I wouldnt bother with RAM, having 4 modules of RAM will give you a headache overlocking the CPU, which will make the majority of the difference. Just get a good CPU cooler, overclock, and a GTX 970 or similar GPU and you are set.

Omikaru

Yes, that cooler should be fine for a nice 4.0-4.4 overclock. Just increase volts to 1.3, put it at 4.2 GHz, and see where it's at temps-wise.

We'd need a better idea of what kind of PSU it is in specific before okay'ing that portion. If you can take a picture of the side of it, or just list a model, that'll be fantastic.

My PSU is this one. It's quite old, but I've not found any reason to change it. Still working perfectly fine.

I wouldnt bother with RAM, having 4 modules of RAM will give you a headache overlocking the CPU, which will make the majority of the difference. Just get a good CPU cooler, overclock, and a GTX 970 or similar GPU and you are set.
Hmm, I didn't know that. Thanks for the warning.

Grums

Neo Member
The 7950 was rebadged as the current R9 280, which is decent for 1080p. How much are you paying for it?

Hey,

Paying £70 for a used one. It will be a temporary replacement till May. Mainly I just do 3D Work but I do like to play the odd game.

I had been offered a 7970 for £85 also which I think was the rebadged 280x. Also, a 6970 for £40.

I seen a few 670's around also for about £90 used.

Thanks.

abracadaver

If AMD were to announce the R390 and R390X this week what would happen with the prices of the R290 and R290X? Will they get cheaper or will the 390 cards just cost more?

mkenyon

Banned
Are there really no white mechanical back lit keyboards?
Say what? There's tons. What size? TKL? Smaller? Fullsized?

Vortex PFCN6800

K4F9mAJ.png

Ducky Mini (silver, but bright silver)

Vortex Race

Keycool 87

Those are just a few. Tons out there though.
My PSU is this one. It's quite old, but I've not found any reason to change it. Still working perfectly fine.

Hmm, I didn't know that. Thanks for the warning.
52A combined on the multi-rail 12V. Good to go for any sane card.
If AMD were to announce the R390 and R390X this week what would happen with the prices of the R290 and R290X? Will they get cheaper or will the 390 cards just cost more?
Impossible to say. They'll be rebranded (just as the 7970>280X), but it's a crapshoot on pricing.

Unless you were willing to spend more and/or cut back on the graphics card, X99 would be out of this budget's price range. You won't gain too much by moving to X99, games currently rarely need more than 4 cores.

Here's the sensible build. Just about £1000 with marginal performance loss. It's based on your build, same graphics card and case, I assumed you wanted the computer to be that size. It'll last you 2~3 years before needing an upgrade, longer with overclocking and if you don't mind turning game settings to less than maximum.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.50 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£107.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Kingston Savage 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory (£50.90 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£79.85 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Toshiba 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£79.44 @ Scan.co.uk)
Video Card: Palit GeForce GTX 980 4GB Super JetStream Video Card (£420.94 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Aerocool DS Cube White Edition Silent Cube MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£53.76 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £999.34
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-02 20:27 GMT+0000

Hmm, that is sensible. For some reason I'm resisting being sensible though. I'm wondering whether it might be better to go with an i7 in the longer term as the hyper threading is more likely to scale with engines developed to cater for the multiple cores of new consoles - an i7 3770 is recommended for Witcher 3 for example. I know it's £80 more but if it means adding at least a few years onto the lifespan of the PC I think it's probably worth it?

H4r4kiri

I got a question about the Asus r9 290 direct II

What is the difference between the oc and the normal version? Is it just the little clock increase? As far as I can judge there is no other difference. I can just do that manually myself can't I?

And how is that asus overall? Is it a good 290 card? I could get the nonoc one.

kennah

I got a question about the Asus r9 290 direct II

What is the difference between the oc and the normal version? Is it just the little clock increase? As far as I can judge there is no other difference. I can just do that manually myself can't I?

And how is that asus overall? Is it a good 290 card? I could get the nonoc one.

You kinda hit the nail on the head there.

Asus should be fine.

mkenyon

Banned
hmm none of them look too appealing to me but I did do one more Google and found this: http://www.ttesports.com/Keyboard/29/MEKA_G1_COMBAT_WHITE/productPage.htm?a=a&g=ftr#.VPTrKPnF_Z0

can anyone vouch for them?
It's hard to mess up a keyboard. But, if I had to guess which company would be able to do it, I'd put my money on Thermaltake first, with Razer closely following. :p

That's not backlit though.

What is it about the Vortex that you didnt like? They're one of the top notch KB makers. Keycaps are PBT too.

10525844_726072054127174_5958471568249828509_n.jpg

Swap out the keycaps for whatever you want.

Though I do fully suggest that if you do not need a numpad, to look at a TKL or smaller version. It's so much more comfortable for gaming having your hands closer together.

It's hard to mess up a keyboard. But, if I had to guess which company would be able to do it, I'd put my money on Thermaltake first, with Razer closely following. :p

That's not backlit though.

What is it about the Vortex that you didnt like? They're one of the top notch KB makers. Keycaps are PBT too.

10525844_726072054127174_5958471568249828509_n.jpg

Swap out the keycaps for whatever you want.

Though I do fully suggest that if you do not need a numpad, to look at a TKL or smaller version. It's so much more comfortable for gaming having your hands closer together.

ok that first picture made the vortex look like crap this picture makes it look much better and now that I think about it I guess I don't really need a numpad so I'll look into that when making my choice. Thank you.

EDIT: I'm dumb and forgot to mention that I want red or white back lighting so it seems the vortex is out of the question

JakeD

is it normal for a gtx970 to cause horrible screen tearing on a philips LCD tv? no clue what the refresh rate of the TV is, and it admittedly was pretty bad with tearing even when i had an HD7770 hooked up to it. it's old and i don't expect great performance, but i just want to make sure it's not my 970 acting up.

Vsync seems to fix it every time, but i noticed when i accidentally booted up Fall Of Cybertron today without vsync on. moving the camera around seems to cause a ripple that moves up and down the screen until i stop moving the camera. especially strange because the FPS counter (afterburner) is reading 60 or 59.9. this same exact thing happened in dolphin running Galaxy 2

again, vsync fixes it (whether enabled in game or in nvidia control panel) but it just seems strange the intensity of the tearing.

The Llama

is it normal for a gtx970 to cause horrible screen tearing on a philips LCD tv? no clue what the refresh rate of the TV is, and it admittedly was pretty bad with tearing even when i had an HD7770 hooked up to it. it's old and i don't expect great performance, but i just want to make sure it's not my 970 acting up.

Vsync seems to fix it every time, but i noticed when i accidentally booted up Fall Of Cybertron today without vsync on. moving the camera around seems to cause a ripple that moves up and down the screen until i stop moving the camera. especially strange because the FPS counter (afterburner) is reading 60 or 59.9. this same exact thing happened in dolphin running Galaxy 2

again, vsync fixes it (whether enabled in game or in nvidia control panel) but it just seems strange the intensity of the tearing.

I mean, the point of V-Sync is basically to fix screen tearing. Some games tear worse than others, so it also depends on that.

RGM79

Hey,

Paying £70 for a used one. It will be a temporary replacement till May. Mainly I just do 3D Work but I do like to play the odd game.

I had been offered a 7970 for £85 also which I think was the rebadged 280x. Also, a 6970 for £40.

I seen a few 670's around also for about £90 used.

Thanks.

If you're only going to use it for about 2 to 3 months, don't bother to spend a lot. The 6970 isn't bad, performance-wise it's roughly on par with the R7 260X and the GTX 750 Ti. At 1080p you can expect to play most games at medium settings, perhaps a bit higher or lower depending on the game.

What power supply do you have? A 550 watt power supply or better is recommended for that card.

Hmm, that is sensible. For some reason I'm resisting being sensible though. I'm wondering whether it might be better to go with an i7 in the longer term as the hyper threading is more likely to scale with engines developed to cater for the multiple cores of new consoles - an i7 3770 is recommended for Witcher 3 for example. I know it's £80 more but if it means adding at least a few years onto the lifespan of the PC I think it's probably worth it?

It's up to you if you'd like to spend the extra money on the 4790K. I don't think the Witcher 3 PC requirements make any sense, actually - they lumped the 2500K and the old AMD Phenon II X4 940 together in the minimum specs list, and those two processors are clearly nowhere near the same level, the 2500K is very much faster than the Phenom II X4 940 in performance, despite both being quad core processors. Same thing with the 3770K and FX-8350, the performance gap isn't as large but the 3770K being a hyperthreaded quad core still beats the octo core FX-8350 in most tests.

I have no idea if the Witcher 3's game engine will make better use of multiple cores, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt.

JakeD

I mean, the point of V-Sync is basically to fix screen tearing. Some games tear worse than others, so it also depends on that.

i guess what i was trying to say was the tearing is so bad it almost looks like its a different kind of graphic glitch. tough to describe but it's almost like a ripple that moves down the screen than starts again at the top. but i suppose the fact that vsync is fixing it kind of proves that it is just good old fashioned screen tearing.

Alright this will be my umpteenth post in here as of late, but I am stuck. I have a PC that has the Asus Z87 pro v edition mobo. With an i7 4770k, and a GTX 760. I also have a PNY 240 gb ssd.

I currently have drivers for the graphics card and that's about it. Any help is greatly appreciated, I went to Asus's site for the mobo and i have no idea where to begin. I know this will probably make some laugh and more than likely frustrated, but I just want to try and do this right.

Grums

Neo Member
If you're only going to use it for about 2 to 3 months, don't bother to spend a lot. The 6970 isn't bad, performance-wise it's roughly on par with the R7 260X and the GTX 750 Ti. At 1080p you can expect to play most games at medium settings, perhaps a bit higher or lower depending on the game.

What power supply do you have? A 550 watt power supply or better is recommended for that card.

Is there much difference in a 6970 and a 7950?

Yeah, PSU 650w. Had a 290 but sold it to get a camera for a recent trip. Will be May before I get another decent card so need something to keep me going till then.

Gritesh

I need help.

I'm currently using a 32" Samsung TV as my main display.

My wife wants a TV for the exercise room, so I have the opportunity to upgrade my PC display.

I was looking at going to a 40" TV but not sure if I should be looking at going back to a monitor again or what.

What is the current recommendation for a good display.

I like the size of my 32" as I can play games at the desk and the viewing angle is comfortable and I can get that "big screen" feeling.

RGM79

Alright this will be my umpteenth post in here as of late, but I am stuck. I have a PC that has the Asus Z87 pro v edition mobo. With an i7 4770k, and a GTX 760. I also have a PNY 240 gb ssd.

I currently have drivers for the graphics card and that's about it. Any help is greatly appreciated, I went to Asus's site for the mobo and i have no idea where to begin. I know this will probably make some laugh and more than likely frustrated, but I just want to try and do this right.
I assume you want the latest drivers? Here's the driver download link for your motherboard. You only need the latest versions of the chipset, audio, LAN, USB drivers, and maybe bluetooth if you want.

Is there much difference in a 6970 and a 7950?

Yeah, PSU 650w. Had a 290 but sold it to get a camera for a recent trip. Will be May before I get another decent card so need something to keep me going till then.
There's a pretty decent gap in performance between the 6970 and the 7950. It's up to you if it's worth it, I guess.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
ITX is great lol.
But Bitefenix selection is not great since those cases can really fit mATX, so its not good use of space.

Consider some other cases like Silverstone RVZ01 (your psu wont fit this one), Fractal Design Node 304, EVGA Hadron, NCASE M1 (if you can get one!! V3 is on pre order $180). Coolermaster and Silvertone have a few other ITX cases too. Check out Parvum cases too.

I do like the Node too. Most others are either too expensive or I don't like the look of them. M1 is incredible, but I'd basically be looking at spending $300 between the case and a new PSU. Too much for me.

I don't think my PSU would fit in the Node either though. Having a full size ATX modular PSU probably limits my case options a lot and means I'm stuck with some bigger ones.

At which point I wonder, is it even worth making the sacrifice for a bigger case when my bigass case is sufficient.

Having an issue with the PC I built like four months ago.

When I boot it goes to the Bios screen, and then a blank screen with one flashing underscore. Then it just sits there.

At first I hoped that it was my SSD, but when I boot from my windows disc it does show that it detects both my SSD and HDD.

I did have a blue screen last night, but I didn't really take note.

Could it be my processor? I only say that because it was the component that I was least comfortable installing.

Any help would be appreciated.

I assume you want the latest drivers? Here's the driver download link for your motherboard. You only need the latest versions of the chipset, audio, LAN, USB drivers, and maybe bluetooth if you want.

Sorry this is why I wish I would have gotten the driver disc, also I have mounted the ssd, when I turn the PC on, I don't see anything on the monitor.

Could this be because I have no drivers installed and I have the video card in? Will j need to take the bid card off and then boot up, install all mobo drivers and then the most up to date drivers for the 760? Again a million thanks, sort of learning as I go. I don't think the ssd has any switch for slave master or anything else.

Unless I hooked it up wrong too...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Having an issue with the PC I built like four months ago.

When I boot it goes to the Bios screen, and then a blank screen with one flashing underscore. Then it just sits there.

At first I hoped that it was my SSD, but when I boot from my windows disc it does show that it detects both my SSD and HDD.

I did have a blue screen last night, but I didn't really take note.

Could it be my processor? I only say that because it was the component that I was least comfortable installing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Detecting both drives doesn't necessarily mean it can boot from them.

Do you have the motherboard boot picture disabled so you see the POST details? If not you might want to do that, sometimes seeing the boot process can help find problems in cases like this.

If you are able to successfully run your Windows disc it seems unlikely it's a problem with CPU, motherboard, RAM, or PSU. Can't necessarily count them out though.

Could be something as simple as a USB device, I had something at one point that would prevent my PC from booting if it was plugged in, forgot what it was. Hung on POST and not after though. Or your Windows installation might have gotten screwed up during the BSOD.

Drake

I'm thinking of upgrading my cooling. I have a 4790k with an evo212 right now. Honestly, I think I got a crap 4790k because the temps aren't the best, but still well within spec. I probably should have returned it, but it's too late for that now. In games like Watch Dogs I'll usually max out in the mid 60's. And that's with hyper threading turned off and voltage set to 1.12v. Intel XTU stress doesn't go above 66. It just pisses me off that I can't get the performance I want with the current cooler I have.

I'm thinking of an AIO cooler, but IDK if it's worth spending the money. I hate the fact that I can't OC my chip.

I'm thinking of upgrading my cooling. I have a 4790k with an evo212 right now. Honestly, I think I got a crap 4790k because the temps aren't the best, but still well within spec. I probably should have returned it, but it's too late for that now. In games like Watch Dogs I'll usually max out in the mid 60's. And that's with hyper threading turned off and voltage set to 1.12v. Intel XTU stress doesn't go above 66. It just pisses me off that I can't get the performance I want with the current cooler I have.

I'm thinking of an AIO cooler, but IDK if it's worth spending the money. I hate the fact that I can't OC my chip.

Delid.

kiyomi

Have you actually tried OC'ing it?

longdi

Banned

Sadly with Haswell/Ivy Bridge, you need to delid them to get a big drop in temps. Shit really works with delidding.

As for AIO, you may consider Swiftech H220X, best in the class.

Or if you are in EU, consider Fractal Kelvin for a solid quiet AIO, though the performance is not the best, it is expandable like the H220X.

Either one will cool better than the 212.

mkenyon

Banned

Wait wait wait wait wait wait.

What's wrong with 66? The proc is good through the 80s.
Sadly with Haswell/Ivy Bridge, you need to delid them to get a big drop in temps. Shit really works with delidding.

As for AIO, you may consider Swiftech H220X, best in the class.

Or if you are in EU, consider Fractal Kelvin for a solid quiet AIO, though the performance is not the best, it is expandable like the H220X.

Either one will cool better than the 212.
Not really. Or rather, not really in any meaningful way.

The 212 is dissipating all the heat generated by the proc at this point. Pouring money down the drain on a better cooler gives zero performance boost. The 4790K is already at 4.2GHz out of the box. Going up to a realistic silicon limit (with sane volts) of 4.5ish will likely still have the processor in a safe temperature range even with the same cooler.

Hey GAF, I'm looking to buy my first gaming PC this week and could use some help. Firstly is there anywhere in the U.K that will allow me to choose the parts for my PC and then build it for me? Secondly, from the below list of parts where could I save some cash, or upgrade if necessary to run Arkham Knight and Metal Gear solid V better than I could on my PS4?

Processor: Intel Core i5-3570 3.40GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor (77W) - RetailI (If I can find one *sigh) (£169.99)

Motherboard: Asus Z97-K Intel Z97 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard (£92.99)

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 WindForce 3x OC Rev2 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card **Black PCB** (£179.99)

Memory: TeamGroup Xtreem LV "Frost Edition" 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-19200C10 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit (£59.99)

Power: SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W "80 Plus Gold" Power Supply - Black (£59.99)

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache - OEM (ST1000DM003) HDD (£42.99)

Network card: TP-Link 450Mbps Wireless N Dual Band PCI Express Adapter (TL-WDN4800) (£26.99)

Graphics cooler: NZXT KRAKEN G10 GPU Cooling Adapter - Black (£19.99)

Case: Aerocool V3X Black Edition Midi-Tower - Black (£16.99)

DVD thing: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE 24x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black) - OEM (£14.99)

Total: £769.80

kharma45

Hey GAF, I'm looking to buy my first gaming PC this week and could use some help. Firstly is there anywhere in the U.K that will allow me to choose the parts for my PC and then build it for me? Secondly, from the below list of parts where could I save some cash, or upgrade if necessary to run Arkham Knight and Metal Gear solid V better than I could on my PS4?

Processor: Intel Core i5-3570 3.40GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor (77W) - RetailI (If I can find one *sigh) (£169.99)

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 WindForce 3x OC Rev2 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card **Black PCB** (£179.99)

Memory: TeamGroup Xtreem LV "Frost Edition" 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-19200C10 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit (£59.99)

Power: SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W "80 Plus Gold" Power Supply - Black (£59.99)

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache - OEM (ST1000DM003) HDD (£42.99)

Network card: TP-Link 450Mbps Wireless N Dual Band PCI Express Adapter (TL-WDN4800) (£26.99)

DVD thing: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE 24x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black) - OEM (£14.99)

That CPU and mobo doesn't work. You need a 4xxx chip.

Places will build but skimp on parts, or over charge.

What's your budget?

mkenyon

Banned

I'm not sure about the builder specific stuff, but here's a list that gets you *a lot* more for your money.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£82.76 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£50.08 @ More Computers)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£73.95 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 290 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (£229.55 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£49.38 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£63.31 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £755.52
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-03 18:10 GMT+0000

Sorry this is why I wish I would have gotten the driver disc, also I have mounted the ssd, when I turn the PC on, I don't see anything on the monitor.

Could this be because I have no drivers installed and I have the video card in? Will j need to take the bid card off and then boot up, install all mobo drivers and then the most up to date drivers for the 760? Again a million thanks, sort of learning as I go. I don't think the ssd has any switch for slave master or anything else.

The SSD has nothing to do with the monitor. What cable are you using between the video card and monitor? HDMI?

I'm not sure about the builder specific stuff, but here's a list that gets you *a lot* more for your money.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£82.76 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£50.08 @ More Computers)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£73.95 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 290 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (£229.55 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£49.38 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£63.31 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £755.52
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-03 18:10 GMT+0000

Looks good as far as I can tell, but I'd have to build it myself right? Don't think I'm up to that

mkenyon

Banned
Looks good as far as I can tell, but I'd have to build it myself right? Don't think I'm up to that
Sure you are. It's a piece of cake. Lots of videos in the OP, and everyone here can walk you through it.

If you've put together a Lego set, you can do this.

RGM79

We're going to have to figure out some specifics? You never see anything on the monitor? In that case, take out the graphics card and plug the monitor into the motherboard instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom