• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought all the parts for my x99 gaming/photo editing/web development rig from newegg and it came out to $2,300 without a monitor. Outside of the GPU, which I will be upgrading once HBM cards are released,I feel like this setup will be good for the next 2-3 years.

Asus X99 Deluxe
Intel Core i7 5930K
XFX DD R9 290x 8gb
Samsung EVO 850 250gb SSD
Crucial Ballistix 16gb (4x4gb)
EVGA 1050w PSU
Corsair Obsidian 550D
Corsair K70 keyboard
Corsair M45 mouse
Windows 8.1 full edition (w/ Windows 10 upgrade)

mkenyon

Banned
There's no way this doesn't have a $1000 price tag.

*edit*

Oops, wrong thread, but still applicable. This in regards to the Titan X.

Rich!

Personally i dont like MSI, but the MSI 970 is the best behind the Gigabyte G1 in terms of overclocking. And is the best on the noise front. Not sure if the EVGA has its fans turned off below 60c, but the MSI does.

Indeed it does. Made sure of that before buying.

MUnited83

For you.
I'd like to know the best parts to complete this build, preferably for cheap

R9 280X
Intel I5-4690K
1 TB HDD
8 GB RAM

What would be a good PSU and motherboard for this build? For cheap as possible while retaining quality.

mkenyon

Banned
I am/will be
coke.png

Who needs a Cayman GT when you can drive one on your new VR headset of choice, amirite?

I'd like to know the best parts to complete this build, preferably for cheap

R9 280X
Intel I5-4690K
1 TB HDD
8 GB RAM

What would be a good PSU and motherboard for this build? For cheap as possible while retaining quality.

Whats your budget in US dollars?

H4r4kiri

dude you are the man. thank you so much. Is there any specific websites besides this you recommend for PC parts? Im always a bit lost over here iwth different countries and shipping restrictions. I live in Lux but my friend lives in Germany as does my brother in law I can always send stuff to them.

Hey
Well I can name you some most used german PCsites, but can't say who is better oder worse. I know normally mindfactory has the best price, but you should always compare. Do not use amazon here,because it is a lot more expensiv.

www.alternate.de
www.mindfactory.de

These are the most common.
Here is one I personally been to when I lived somewhere else, but I do not know about their prices.

www.hiq24.de

And here are some other sites for parts

www.caseking.de
www.computeruniverse.net

mkenyon

Banned
lol

U interested titan black for real? don't play with my emotions
Probably the rest of the stuff too. My pal has long wanted to swap out his RIVE for a Black. I'd imagine he'd be interested in the GPU too.

I'll talk shop with him, because this will involve both of us getting new parts and moving stuff around.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I'm starting to think about getting a new hard drive instead of re-purposing the secondary drive (640GB) from my old PC into the new one. I've read in some reviews about Western Digital Green drives having some issue with automatic head parking that dramatically shortens their lifespan, and that you need to go through some tedious process to stop it from doing that. Has anyone heard of this?

Is WD the preferred brand these days? I know Seagate has gotten a terrible rep lately. I see some interesting Toshiba drives, but I recall them having the "DeathStar" drives a few years back.

Rich!

I'm starting to think about getting a new hard drive instead of re-purposing the secondary drive (640GB) from my old PC into the new one. I've read in some reviews about Western Digital Green drives having some issue with automatic head parking that dramatically shortens their lifespan, and that you need to go through some tedious process to stop it from doing that. Has anyone heard of this?

Is WD the preferred brand these days? I know Seagate has gotten a terrible rep lately. I see some interesting Toshiba drives, but I recall them having the "DeathStar" drives a few years back.

Samsung is pretty good unless I'm mistaken....do they do 3.5 drives?

Edit: seemingly not lol. My Samsung 750GB 2.5 hard drive has been rock solid for years though.

kiyomi

WD are kind of the best of a bad bunch, sadly.

Hey guys!

Are these temperatures good?

I got those results while running:
- Prime95
- Furmark
- AMD Overdrive Stress Test

All at the same time!

stress%20test%20actual_zpsqdyyyzuc.jpg

AMD FX 8350
AMD R7 265
ASROCK Pro something lol
Cooler Hyper TX3

kiyomi

What about 250$?

I did this on pcpartpicker's ESP/Spanish website, since they don't have a Portuguese specific one. However, I think you might be able to do okay for your budget.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Motherboard: Asus Z97M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€97.55 @ Amazon Espana)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (€35.75 @ Amazon Espana)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€71.38 @ Amazon Espana)
Total: €204.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-04 23:10 CET+0100

Hi guys, not sure if this is the right place to ask, but hoping for some advice.

I have the Asus 4k Gsync monitor which only accepts Displayport input, my new PC came today and does not have a Displayport output. I assumed all Geforse GTX cards came with this since the 600 series, but my 750 does not.

Now, is there something I can do to rectify this, or have I ballsed it up and have to get another card?

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
While I'm still looking at ASRock Z97 Anniversary ($90 before $10MIR, with an I5-4690k, to replace my Asus M5A97 and Phenom II X4 960T), would investing a bit more money into a motherboard help for updatability, specifically the SLI and M.2 support of the GIGABYTE GA-Z97-HD3P ($110)?

I'm moderately happy running an Samsung 840 Pro 120g right now (before I disabled all of my Skyrim mods in NexusMM, I gained over 20 gigs in free space!), and was thinking about a Crucial MX100 240 or 480 eventually, but I haven't kept up at all on the situation on M.2 and this NVMe support (reading newest MaxPC as I type this).

Btw, does anyone else here still have the Sapphire Radeon 260x OC black-screen-of-death? I've gotten it 4 times in the last 3 days, and it's damn annoying (it's a driver/firmware problem with this specific model). I'm about ready to pop my 5750 1gb back in for now. :(

I've seen those, but they only work the opposite way around to what I need, it seems. Would they still work? Reviews are somewhat conflicting.

Yeah they won't, I misread your post. Sorry. I need sleep.

Edit: some dude on Nvidia forum suggested this saying it works for Mac and PC. You might want to investigate more.

biteren

i almost got my parts together (waiting on CPU) and i figure it be good to pre-emptivly piece some parts of the PC together and i had a question about my Motherboard

its got a 24 pin power connector and it has a 8 pin atx 12 volt power connector, do i have to have both of those connected to the PSU?

mkenyon

Banned
i almost got my parts together (waiting on CPU) and i figure it be good to pre-emptivly piece some parts of the PC together and i had a question about my Motherboard

its got a 24 pin power connector and it has a 8 pin atx 12 volt power connector, do i have to have both of those connected to the PSU?
Yep. One is for the motherboard and its bits (as well as power through PCI-E lanes and whatnot). The 8 pin is for just the CPU.

Grimsen

Hi guys and gals.

Thinking of buying parts to build a PC to play X-Com: Long War. I haven't been keeping up with PC parts and specs, so I don't know where to start.

-budget would be 400$ or less, the lesser the better.
-I'm in Canada.
-Size is not an issue, but I guess a smaller case would be fun for my living room.
-plan on playing on my TV or a monitor, so target res is 1080p.
-I could potentially salvage a case and a power supply, but let's assume I'll buy them.
- I could build it myself.

Should I look at used PCs? Sounds iffy to me.

Managed to get ahold of a free copy of Windows 7 (Embedded) from Microsoft through this student programme I'm abusing for gaming lol, but I'm not sure how I go about installing it. Can I just put the 2gig file onto a memory stick and stick it into my PC to install?

knitoe

Hi guys, not sure if this is the right place to ask, but hoping for some advice.

I have the Asus 4k Gsync monitor which only accepts Displayport input, my new PC came today and does not have a Displayport output. I assumed all Geforse GTX cards came with this since the 600 series, but my 750 does not.

Now, is there something I can do to rectify this, or have I ballsed it up and have to get another card?
Pretty sure, displayport is currently the only way to run at 4K@60hz with current video cards. And, even if possible, performance would suck on a 750 at 4K. You need to run SLI/CF to run good on 4K. What sure what your were thinking with your current setup.

mkenyon

Banned
Srs. Which black do you have? what are the dimensions? Is there a water block available?
Too late, I called dibs. Gettin' old kennah.
Hi guys and gals.

Thinking of buying parts to build a PC to play X-Com: Long War. I haven't been keeping up with PC parts and specs, so I don't know where to start.

-budget would be 400$ or less, the lesser the better.
-I'm in Canada.
-Size is not an issue, but I guess a smaller case would be fun for my living room.
-plan on playing on my TV or a monitor, so target res is 1080p.
-I could potentially salvage a case and a power supply, but let's assume I'll buy them.
- I could build it myself.

Should I look at used PCs? Sounds iffy to me.

$400 is really hard for new parts. Prices are a bit lower than specific things I put on here since this is half a year old, but this would do it.

jNFdjRy.png

Drop the heatsink off of that, and maybe find a nice used GPU that still has a warranty. That'd put you right around $400.

Otherwise, used would be the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom