• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiyomi

You don't need the thermal compound, since the 212 Evo will come with its own stuff. Other than that it looks like a textbook build. :)

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
So I'm definitely building a new rig sometime this year, but not in a huge rush to do so especially if there are any major hardware release on the horizon like new CPU and GPUs. Mostly just want to build something that will last as long as my current rig has and will handle stuff like Witcher 3, Kingdom Come and whatever else is on the horizon without issue.

I built my current PC back in Aug 2009 for around $1,600:
MB: GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R 1366 X58
PSU: CORSAIR|CMPSU-750TX 750W RT
CPU: i7 920 2.67ghz(now OC'd to 3.4)
GPU: Sapphire 4890 1GB (Upgraded last '12 to current Sapphire 7950 3GB)
MEM: 2Gx3|OCZ OCZ3P1600LV6GK R(Upgraded to 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x8)
HDD: Hitatch 1TB 7200rpm(Added on a recent Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 500GB SSD)
Displays: Dell G2410 24-Inch - Widescreen TFT LCD Flat Panel Monitor(noticeable light bleed in the top right corner not exactly main display material anymore, would be fine as second screen)
& a Hanns·G HW191D WXGA 1440 x 900(working great after 10 years but screen size/resolution is too low, OK for second monitor but looking to drop it)

I hate my giant CM case, bitch gotta go, also upgraded my MX Revolution mouse with a Logitech G502. I know I can carry over my RAM, HDD, SSD, DVD drive, Mouse and Dell Monitor but think I can probably get away with keeping my PSU as well.

I'm willing to spend ~$1,500 on something that will give me roughly the same life span as my old rig. I know I need a new Case, MB, CPU, CPU fan, Main Monitor, Headphones(my current Sennheiser PC 350s are dying bad), Keyboard, maybe another HDD 2-3tb, and likely a copy of Windows since my PC came with Vista with an upgrade to W7 and that's been a pain in the ass to deal with in recent years when doing clean installs and such and I'm not sure I even have everything still, nor if that would be eligible for the free upgrade to W10 when that drops.

Any advice is appreciated.

lem0n

You don't need the thermal compound, since the 212 Evo will come with its own stuff. Other than that it looks like a textbook build. :)

Noted, thank you! :)

About the OS and Reddit, though, can anyone explain that one to me? Do I need an optical drive? I wouldn't think so, they don't ship physical copies of W7/8, right? Don't laugh at me, lol.

Hey guys,

I don't post often but i've been around awhile. I think it's time I rebuild my PC. I've had mine for many years and it is really starting to show it's age. Firstly I want to build a PC for web design, gaming at 1200p now and 1440p @60fps< in the future, music production, web browsing, etc. I'm pretty sure I can salvage a bunch of what's in my current build, here's what I got:

Antec P182 case
Corsair TX750 power supply (gen 1)
WD black 7200 rpm 1tb
WD Green 3tb
LG Blu Ray writer 12x
LG Dvd writer 52x
Radeon 7870
Dell U2410
Steelseries 7G keyboard

I'm wondering if all of that would still be good for a current build, though I am debating going for a new case and power supply (corsair 540 case and modular supply). I would like it to be relatively quiet. Also, I'm wondering if it might be best to stick to my current graphics card for now to power the 1200p monitor and then wait for the 300 series before I upgrade my monitor to 4k/1440p.

Budget is around $1500 CAD without keyboard, or monitor. I'd like this to last about 4 years and at least the first couple years on fairly high settings. Thanks!

finalflame

Finalized the build, all parts are purchased.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $190.00)
Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $109.99)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (Purchased For $116.99)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $124.99)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card (Purchased For $554.99)
Case: NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $119.99)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $151.18)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition (2-Pack) 62.7 CFM 120mm Fans (Purchased For $27.99)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition (2-Pack) 62.7 CFM 120mm Fans (Purchased For $27.99)
Other: PrimoFlex Pro LRT White Tubing -3/8in. ID X 1/2in. OD - 10ft (Purchased For $9.90)
Other: BitFenix BFA-ACL-30WK15-RP 30cm 15 LEDs Alchemy LED Connect Lit Strip, White (Purchased For $21.45)
Other: XSPC DDC Photon 170 Reservoir/Pump Combo (Purchased For $149.95)
Other: Individually Sleeved Cable Set for EVGA B2/G2/P2 Power Supply / PSU (White) - EVGA 100-CW-1300-B9 (Purchased For $89.99)
Other: Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 240mm (Purchased For $54.95)
Other: Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper 140mm (Purchased For $66.95)
Total: $1817.30
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-07 15:43 EST-0500

Super psyched to build this, GAF. 850W for future 980 SLi. I have a bunch of fittings and whatnot from my previous watercooled build.

Current build from May 2011, cost around 700$. My first homemade computer and I used this thread for it.

Motherboard: ASUS M4A87TD Evo
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE
GPU: AMD Radeon 6850
RAM: 2x2GB Gskill
PSU: 400w
Case: CM Storm Sniper (donated by gaffer MisterNoisy and delivered to my doorstep)
HDD: 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint
SSD: 120GB Intel (added May 2014)
Monitor: 1080p ASUS monitor from 2011

Will not re-use any parts
Not interested in overclocking
Budget for new PC is 1300
Looking to build ASAP

New PC needs to be able to play League of Legends, Napoleon: Total War, Rome 2: Total War, and CSGO. Only other functions are video, word, spreadsheets, etc. I have been playing the Total War games on Low-res and without grass or skyboxes so that is my most wanted feature.

I am pretty set on getting the 1200$ "Excellent" build. I would prefer to have a 750w PSU, a 500GB SSD instead of HDD and SSD combo, and skip on the Hyper212 cooler for now.

My only real questions would be which GTX 970 do you recommend and what case do you guys recommend. I would prefer a full ATX case with wiring options (currently have Phanteks Enthoo Pro in my cart).
EDIT: I see on the last page that some are recommending the Radeon R9 over a GTX 970.

I am considering pulling the trigger on this. Thanks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($114.75 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($129.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($199.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X Video Card ($279.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($35.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1130.56
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-07 16:34 EST-0500

Not sure where to put this question, because it involves a dilemma that really spans three different threads. But I'll start here.

The situation: I have an Asus N53S laptop, which is about to hit 3 years old (April 2012 purchase). It's a decent laptop, 1080p 15.6in screen, nVidia GT 630M (2GB), an i7 processor and 6GB of RAM.

For the most part, it is doing what I want/need it to do.

What I use it for: mostly writing, bill paying, a bit of surfing (a do a ton of my surfing on my N7) and of course playing games. The game playing has tailed off a bit over the past year or so, but I'd really like to get back into it. I also have an Xbox One, a 360 and a PS3. My gaming backlog is ... large. I haven't done any specific measurements in terms of FPS, but i use Can I Run It? to check whether new games coming out can run on this thing, and in many cases i at least meet the minimum requirements.

I will say that I do not make much use of the mobility of the laptop. It essentially stays in my office and I use the tablet or my phone when I go mobile.

So you might say, what's the problem?

The dilemma: I fully anticipate needing to upgrade in the next year or so. However, I see three paths before me.

1. Go with something like the Alienware Alpha (i5 version), add a decent 24" monitor and some speakers. I like that the Alpha runs Windows and the small form factor is attractive. I could also, in a pinch, connect it to my 55" HDTV to really blow things away (if my kids weren't always on there playing games). Something like this would collectively cost me in the $800-$900 range.

2. Step up to a full-fledged gaming laptop, something like the MSI or the Sager that are so frequently recommended. I *might* make use of the mobility a little more, but probably not. (I am also considering a Shield Tablet, so the laptop notion doesn't necessarily fit.) This would also be a pricier option, as I would want to push the limits a bit and go in the $1500 range for something that blow me out of the water.

3. Go with building my own PC (yes I know what thread I chose to put this in). I have a friend who basically builds PCs for a living, and he's offered to help me pick out what I would need and to put it together. Which is excellent, because regardless of the number of people who say it's easy, I'm all thumbs at stuff like this. In this instance, I would need the PC build parts, the monitor, the speakers. Again I'd be looking to build in a way that keeps me in the game for a couple years. The great thing about this is the upgradeability option of it. I'd maybe look to start around $1,000 max.

So what say you, GAF? I have about $400 saved up now and really can put close to $100 away per month, and like I said I think the laptop I have can handle most of what I want for maybe another year (or maybe by Christmas I'll be looking for the upgrade). I could see myself having the $1,000 by the holidays.

LilJoka

Current build from May 2011, cost around 700$. My first homemade computer and I used this thread for it.

Case: CM Storm Sniper (donated by gaffer MisterNoisy and delivered to my doorstep)

Looking to build ASAP

New PC needs to be able to play League of Legends, Napoleon: Total War, Rome 2: Total War, and CSGO. Only other functions are video, word, spreadsheets, etc. I have been playing the Total War games on Low-res and without grass or skyboxes so that is my most wanted feature.

I am pretty set on getting the 1200$ "Excellent" build. I would prefer to have a 750w PSU, a 500GB SSD instead of HDD and SSD combo, and skip on the Hyper212 cooler for now. If I need to down the road I plan on getting SLI + overclock and adding a cooler then.

My only real questions would be which GTX 970 do you recommend and what case do you guys recommend. I would prefer a full ATX case with wiring options (currently have Phanteks Enthoo Pro in my cart).

I wouldn't bother with SLI 970 with the Vram issue.

JMTHEFOX

Okay, so today I'm going with the suggestions that RGM79 gave to me, making this the finalized list.

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($64.88 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital RE3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB FTW ACX Video Card ($139.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($40.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $509.78
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-07 16:31 EST-0500

A few questions about overclocking G3258:
1. What is the recommended ghz?
2. Will overclocking the cpu give me 60fps or at least more than 30fps for games on medium/high settings?

Also, I've heard mostly negative experiences about NCIX US because of their customer service and long shipping processing times compared to the Canadian variant, which is why I changed retailers.

goober

So got a new PC. What programs are required/recommended? Regarding anti-virus, anti-malware or whatever.

Got Deluge for torrents, MPC for videos, anything else?

what makes the most sense to go for first between a keyboard a psu and some fans? I know none of those are any use without other components except maybe the psu but money is coming slowly and I want something because I'm impatient.

RGM79

Excellent advice, exactly what I was looking for. :)

A new case would probably be quiet with 2-4 USB ports on the front. 2 internal HDD slots, 1 SSD slot, 1 DVD drive slot. Styling doesn't matter as it gets put in the desk and ignored until I have to do something to it.

The Fractal Core 3300 ($55) would meet those requirements. It comes with 140mm fans which should be relatively quiet.

I read somewhere here that I can buy the OS from Reddit? I don't use Reddit, so how would I go about getting W7/8 from that site?

By the way- here's my updated build list... anyone care to make any changes? I'd like to save a few bucks if I can. I'm so close to pulling the trigger right now... Ideally I'd like to lose the OS and Optical drive. I'm also not too certain I want that Mobo, it just fits my look nicely. I want this to look as good as it performs :)

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pN79P6
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pN79P6/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($222.75 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.98 @ OutletPC)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($6.75 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($64.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($328.99 @ Directron)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ Micro Center)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.79 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($88.98 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($249.99 @ NCIX US)
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($127.99 @ Best Buy)
Mouse: Corsair Raptor M45 Wired Optical Mouse ($53.46 @ Amazon)
Total: $1607.48
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-07 13:11 EST-0500

I wouldn't go for the Fractal Define R4 at $110 unless you really wanted a side window, it's quite expensive. The newer and better Define R5 (windowless version) costs a bit less at $108, while the version without the side window is only $80.

You won't really need thermal paste as the cooler comes with a tube of the stuff included in the box. The difference between Cooler Master thermal paste and higher quality stuff only amounts to a 2~3 degree difference or so.

That EVGA power supply isn't too great for the price. The G1 was marketed as a higher end model but it's older and made by FSP group which is so-so when it comes to power supplies. Also, it was selling for $54 not too long ago, so $79 is expensive.

I recommend the EVGA Supernova B2 750 watt model instead for $59 after $20 rebate. It's made by Super Flower, one of the best quality power supply manufacturers there are, and Jonny Guru rated it very highly. Getting a 750 watt power supply also gives you the option for two GTX 970 cards in SLI in the future.

Instead of the GTX 970, how about an R9 290 like this XFX model for $253 after $30 rebate? Slightly lesser but comparable performance at a much lower price.

Windows 8.1 licenses can be bought from reddit's microsoftsoftwareswap for $20 or less. These are most likely legitimate keys that are resold from educational programs like Technet or Dreamspark. However, you are dealing with a person instead of a retailer, and informal Windows keys sales are unapproved by Microsoft and probably breaking some licensing agreement to be clear, but it's not illegal. The risks involved are that the person could be selling you a fake or used key, or that Microsoft may deactivate your license and refuse to reactivate it, although it's somewhat unlikely. We've had people here using those keys without issues for a long time and others who say Microsoft deactivated their key after several months.

Addnan

OK so the dream of a monster shall be realised soon, and I was all the way ready to build my own but then I saw this and thought it looked amazing.

My budget for the system alone is £3,000, peripherals will come separate.

So, what is PC gafs opinion on this, what should I change, is it actually that good?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-443-OE&groupid=43&catid=2474&subcat=2677

You seriously want to spend £3K? Take a look at the smokey level build in OP and add more graphics cards to make up the price. 4x980 or something, or really wait for the Titan X. I don't recommend 4.

The overclockers one is 2x295X2. Quadfire AMD does not sound like a good idea.

RGM79

So I'm definitely building a new rig sometime this year, but not in a huge rush to do so especially if there are any major hardware release on the horizon like new CPU and GPUs. Mostly just want to build something that will last as long as my current rig has and will handle stuff like Witcher 3, Kingdom Come and whatever else is on the horizon without issue.

I built my current PC back in Aug 2009 for around $1,600:
MB: GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R 1366 X58
PSU: CORSAIR|CMPSU-750TX 750W RT
CPU: i7 920 2.67ghz(now OC'd to 3.4)
GPU: Sapphire 4890 1GB (Upgraded last '12 to current Sapphire 7950 3GB)
MEM: 2Gx3|OCZ OCZ3P1600LV6GK R(Upgraded to 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x8)
HDD: Hitatch 1TB 7200rpm(Added on a recent Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 500GB SSD)
Displays: Dell G2410 24-Inch - Widescreen TFT LCD Flat Panel Monitor(noticeable light bleed in the top right corner not exactly main display material anymore, would be fine as second screen)
& a Hanns·G HW191D WXGA 1440 x 900(working great after 10 years but screen size/resolution is too low, OK for second monitor but looking to drop it)

I hate my giant CM case, bitch gotta go, also upgraded my MX Revolution mouse with a Logitech G502. I know I can carry over my RAM, HDD, SSD, DVD drive, Mouse and Dell Monitor but think I can probably get away with keeping my PSU as well.

I'm willing to spend ~$1,500 on something that will give me roughly the same life span as my old rig. I know I need a new Case, MB, CPU, CPU fan, Main Monitor, Headphones(my current Sennheiser PC 350s are dying bad), Keyboard, maybe another HDD 2-3tb, and likely a copy of Windows since my PC came with Vista with an upgrade to W7 and that's been a pain in the ass to deal with in recent years when doing clean installs and such and I'm not sure I even have everything still, nor if that would be eligible for the free upgrade to W10 when that drops.

Any advice is appreciated.

Here's a starting build, I'm no expert on keyboards, monitors, or headsets though, perhaps someone else can come in with suggestions.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($369.88 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X99M Killer Micro ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Toshiba 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($93.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($71.00 @ Newegg)
Total: $994.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-07 17:59 EST-0500

If you follow the right method, it's easy to do a clean install of Windows 7 upgrade version without needing to install Vista first and then upgrade. It's just as easy as installing a regular version of Windows 7, except with an added step or two to make the upgrade version work by itself. These two links will help:

http://winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media-128512
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/31402-clean-install-upgrade-windows-7-version.html

Hey guys,

I don't post often but i've been around awhile. I think it's time I rebuild my PC. I've had mine for many years and it is really starting to show it's age. Firstly I want to build a PC for web design, gaming at 1200p now and 1440p @60fps< in the future, music production, web browsing, etc. I'm pretty sure I can salvage a bunch of what's in my current build, here's what I got:

Antec P182 case
Corsair TX750 power supply (gen 1)
WD black 7200 rpm 1tb
WD Green 3tb
LG Blu Ray writer 12x
LG Dvd writer 52x
Radeon 7870
Dell U2410
Steelseries 7G keyboard

I'm wondering if all of that would still be good for a current build, though I am debating going for a new case and power supply (corsair 540 case and modular supply). I would like it to be relatively quiet. Also, I'm wondering if it might be best to stick to my current graphics card for now to power the 1200p monitor and then wait for the 300 series before I upgrade my monitor to 4k/1440p.

Budget is around $1500 CAD without keyboard, or monitor. I'd like this to last about 4 years and at least the first couple years on fairly high settings. Thanks!

Pretty much all of what you listed is reusable. You would only need a new CPU, heatsink, motherboard, RAM, and maybe the case. A modular power supply would be nice, but not really needed with the Air 540 which has the power supply in a separate compartment. And yeah, I'd suggest waiting to see how the new AMD graphics cards will do, at the very least it'll provide some competition for Nvidia even if you don't buy a new AMD card.

With a budget like that, 5820K processor and X99 motherboard with DDR4 RAM is an option.

Looking to build ASAP

I am pretty set on getting the 1200$ "Excellent" build. I would prefer to have a 750w PSU, a 500GB SSD instead of HDD and SSD combo, and skip on the Hyper212 cooler for now.

EDIT: I see on the last page that some are recommending the Radeon R9 over a GTX 970.

I am considering pulling the trigger on this. Thanks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($129.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X Video Card ($279.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1130.56
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-07 16:34 EST-0500
Looks decent, I'd recommend cheaper RAM, though. Something like this 16GB G.Skill Sniper 1866MHz RAM for $115 or this 16GB G.Skill Ares 2133MHz RAM for $125. I wouldn't go with that Corsair power supply. Nothing horribly wrong with them, but the CX line are budget models and are average quality. This EVGA Supernova B2 750 watt model costs $59 after rebate and is manufactured by Super Flower, a very good brand for power supplies.

That Sapphire R9 290 is a very good model but expensive for the price. You could go with a cheaper XFX R9 290 for $253 after rebate or the Asus R9 290X or Powercolor R9 290X, both at about $280.

Are you sure you don't want the CPU cooler now? It'd be easier to install when you're assembling the computer, rather than adding it in later.

You seriously want to spend £3K? Take a look at the smokey level build in OP and add more graphics cards to make up the price. 4x980 or something, or really wait for the Titan X. I don't recommend 4.

The overclockers one is 2x295X2. Quadfire AMD does not sound like a good idea.

Well I mean it doesn't need to be £3k, just that's what I have for it. Was asking really, to see if anyone thought it was unnecessary or similar could be dome done for less. Be nice to spend some of it on other things. I would like the PC to last as long as possible too. I know some enthusiasts regularly upgrade, I lay I'm the future but for now, the PC needs to be much about the future as well as now.

I'll take a look at that build you mention (if I can find it)

EDIT: Found it! Looks pretty good, I'll have a look how much it'll cost in the old GBP and see how it compares.

LilJoka

Just replaced my Hyper 212+ to a Venomous X in my Node 304, thought I'd take the opportunity to share some pics of an ITX build for those looking to build their own steam machine:

i7 3770, GTX 970, 2x4Gb ram, 620W PSU, excuse the mess. HDD is suspended on bungee cord to remove all vibration.

f1bE2ZW.jpg

K8FLrUI.jpg

flfezYF.jpg

EH6ODKl.jpg

0Zmlh49.jpg

3sWYpEV.jpg

MAnI3Bd.jpg

YOe405T.jpg

RGM79

Okay, so today I'm going with the suggestions that RGM79 gave to me, making this the finalized list.

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($64.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital RE3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB FTW ACX Video Card ($139.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($40.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $509.78
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-07 16:31 EST-0500

A few questions about overclocking G3258:
1. What is the recommended ghz?
2. Will overclocking the cpu give me 60fps or at least more than 30fps for games on medium/high settings?

Also, I've heard mostly negative experiences about NCIX US because of their customer service and long shipping processing times compared to the Canadian variant, which is why I changed retailers.

Well, that parts list is over a month old, let me get you some more up-to-date suggestions.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($103.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi B85S3+ Ver. 6.x Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($58.00 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($55.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked Video Card ($129.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: Silverstone PS08B (Black) MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($33.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($53.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $487.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-07 18:50 EST-0500

Compared to the old build, I managed to fit an i3 processor that will perform better without the need to be overclocked, 8GB RAM instead of 4GB RAM, a more consumer-oriented hard drive, and a power supply that is somewhat higher quality although slightly lower wattage (still more than enough).

I think not having to overclock the processor will make it simpler for you, the i3 is somewhat close in performance to an overclocked G3258. that said, 60FPS is a bit much to ask for from the G3258 or the i3 processor, although it'll depend on what games you play. You may have to turn down settings to get 60FPS, but 30 or higher is definitely doable on decent graphics settings, the GTX 750 Ti is capable of it.

LilJoka

Take the above build but please just stretch for any other board that isn't Biostar, their QA and support is non existent these days. We've had a few users here that already had issues with Biostar boards.

JMTHEFOX

Well, that parts list is over a month old, let me get you some more up-to-date suggestions.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($103.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi B85S3+ Ver. 6.x Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($58.00 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($55.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked Video Card ($129.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $487.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-07 18:50 EST-0500

Compared to the old build, I managed to fit an i3 processor that will perform better without the need to be overclocked, 8GB RAM instead of 4GB RAM, a more consumer-oriented hard drive, and a power supply that is somewhat higher quality although slightly lower wattage (still more than enough).

I think not having to overclock the processor will make it simpler for you, the i3 is somewhat close in performance to an overclocked G3258. that said, 60FPS is a bit much to ask for from the G3258 or the i3 processor, although it'll depend on what games you play. You may have to turn down settings to get 60FPS, but 30 or higher is definitely doable on decent graphics settings, the GTX 750 Ti is capable of it.

Interesting advice, I'll take the new list.

Pretty much all of what you listed is reusable. You would only need a new CPU, heatsink, motherboard, RAM, and maybe the case. A modular power supply would be nice, but not really needed with the Air 540 which has the power supply in a separate compartment. And yeah, I'd suggest waiting to see how the new AMD graphics cards will do, at the very least it'll provide some competition for Nvidia even if you don't buy a new AMD card.

With a budget like that, 5820K processor and X99 motherboard with DDR4 RAM is an option.

Hey thanks for this! What are the benefits of going with the X99 system for now? Will I see a greater speed increase or is it just for longevity?

RGM79

Take the above build but please just stretch for any other board that isn't Biostar, their QA and support is non existent these days. We've had a few users here that already had issues with Biostar boards.

It's one of the few boards that seems to ship with Haswell Refresh support out of the box, but point taken about Biostar quality and support. I only ever recommend them on a very tight budget.

Interesting advice, I'll take the new list.

Taking Liljoka's suggestion in mind, consider this with a different motherboard instead.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4330 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($127.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock H81M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($49.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $502.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-07 19:03 EST-0500

I guess it was a good thing Liljoka persuaded me to take another look at the build. I was able to squeeze in a slightly older but better i3 43XX processor and motherboard set that will work together and have it stay at about $500.

Hey thanks for this! What are the benefits of going with the X99 system for now? Will I see a greater speed increase or is it just for longevity?

X99 was introduced less than a year ago, and you should be comfortable with that processor for years to come. X99 platform is a bit better because it works with DDR4 which is also new and will be replacing DDR3. Also, the 5820K is a six core processor, it should be good for a bit of extra speed and longevity over the years. There's hoping that future programs and games will be able to make better use of more than 4 cores.

Looks decent, I'd recommend cheaper RAM, though. Something like this 16GB G.Skill Sniper 1866MHz RAM for $115 or this 16GB G.Skill Ares 2133MHz RAM for $125. I wouldn't go with that Corsair power supply. Nothing horribly wrong with them, but the CX line are budget models and are average quality. This EVGA Supernova B2 750 watt model costs $59 after rebate and is manufactured by Super Flower, a very good brand for power supplies.

That Sapphire R9 290 is a very good model but expensive for the price. You could go with a cheaper XFX R9 290 for $253 after rebate or the Asus R9 290X or Powercolor R9 290X, both at about $280.

Are you sure you don't want the CPU cooler now? It'd be easier to install when you're assembling the computer, rather than adding it in later.

Thank you RGM. I found this CPU-Mobo-GPU bundle on Newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.2157966 that has an i5-4690k, XFX Radeon R9 290, and a GA-Z97X-SLI mobo that is 30$ off and comes with the GPU 30$ rebate. With regards to the cooler I don't mind adding one after the main build.I made the changes you mentioned and ended up with this. I am going to buy this tonight and put it together next weekend. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Memory: G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($252.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1101.42
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-07 19:07 EST-0500

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Here's a starting build, I'm no expert on keyboards, monitors, or headsets though, perhaps someone else can come in with suggestions.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($369.88 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X99M Killer Micro ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Toshiba 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($93.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($71.00 @ Newegg)
Total: $994.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-07 17:59 EST-0500

If you follow the right method, it's easy to do a clean install of Windows 7 upgrade version without needing to install Vista first and then upgrade. It's just as easy as installing a regular version of Windows 7, except with an added step or two to make the upgrade version work by itself. These two links will help:

http://winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media-128512
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/31402-clean-install-upgrade-windows-7-version.html

Nice, thanks. So looking into things Broadwell E isn't till next year and probably not worth the wait. Tower looks quite nice and since I don't need the memory all told everything will only cost me ~$830, that's quite a lot of cash to spare for a new monitor, keyboard and headphones. I could technically buy it all today and upgrade now and probably not miss out on anything a couple months from now, then upgrade my GPU once the 300 series comes out and it's clear which is the best value between AMD and Nvidia. Tempting, very tempting.

Quacking

I already asked last week but as something changed, I need your advice again folks.

I already own a case cooler master k380, a sapphire r7 265 and a processor Intel core i5 4590.

I need to complete this pc, so I need advice with the power supply, ram and motherboard.
Since I'm not that good in understanding what's compatible with what, and as I understand I should check which ram the motherboard supports, if some of you could help me finding out the best pieces that are compatible with each other it would be great.

Last time I posted I offered two shops to pick from, but since I found the processor at a pretty much nice price I would like to buy everything from http://www.amazon.it/, since their rma policy is just failproof.

So, to sum everything up, here's a list.

I have:

-Sapphire r7 265
-CoolerMaster K380
-Intel core i5 4590
-Samsung 840 evo SSD 120 GB

(I will probably get another HDD in the future, for now my idea was to recycle an old external HDD to put it next to the SSD)

I need:

-Power Supply
-Ram
-Motherboard

The shop I want to use is www.amazon.it

The budget for this stuff is around ~200&#8364;.

Do you think I should need something else besides this stuff?

Thanks in advance guys! And sorry for my bad english.

RGM79

Thank you RGM. I found this CPU-Mobo-GPU bundle on Newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.2157966 that has an i5-4690k, XFX Radeon R9 290, and a GA-Z97X-SLI mobo that is 30$ off and comes with the GPU 30$ rebate. With regards to the cooler I don't mind adding one after the main build.I made the changes you mentioned and ended up with this. I am going to buy this tonight and put it together next weekend. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Memory: G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($252.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1101.42
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-07 19:07 EST-0500

Looks alright, then.

Nice, thanks. So looking into things Broadwell E isn't till next year and probably not worth the wait. Tower looks quite nice and since I don't need the memory all told everything will only cost me ~$830, that's quite a lot of cash to spare for a new monitor, keyboard and headphones. I could technically buy it all today and upgrade now and probably not miss out on anything a couple months from now, then upgrade my GPU once the 300 series comes out and it's clear which is the best value between AMD and Nvidia. Tempting, very tempting.

Wait, what do you mean you don't need the memory? DDR3 won't work with a DDR4 motherboard, unless you mean you already have DDR4 memory you didn't mention.

Yes, you're absolutely right that you could get the parts now and wait for how the graphics card situation will play out in a few months. The 7950 is still quite decent for 1080p.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Wait, what do you mean you don't need the memory? DDR3 won't work with a DDR4 motherboard, unless you mean you already have DDR4 memory you didn't mention.

Ohhhhhh then yes I do. Well that was silly of me to buy that RAM just a few months ago. Ohh well that's still a good 500 for monitor, keyboard and heaphones.

RGM79

I already asked last week but as something changed, I need your advice again folks.

I already own a case cooler master k380, a sapphire r7 265 and a processor Intel core i5 4590.

I need to complete this pc, so I need advice with the power supply, ram and motherboard.
Since I'm not that good in understanding what's compatible with what, and as I understand I should check which ram the motherboard supports, if some of you could help me finding out the best pieces that are compatible with each other it would be great.

Last time I posted I offered two shops to pick from, but since I found the processor at a pretty much nice price I would like to buy everything from http://www.amazon.it/, since their rma policy is just failproof.

So, to sum everything up, here's a list.

I have:

-Sapphire r7 265
-CoolerMaster K380
-Intel core i5 4590
-Samsung 840 evo SSD 120 GB

(I will probably get another HDD in the future, for now my idea was to recycle an old external HDD to put it next to the SSD)

I need:

-Power Supply
-Ram
-Motherboard

The shop I want to use is www.amazon.it

The budget for this stuff is around ~200&#8364;.

Do you think I should need something else besides this stuff?

Thanks in advance guys! And sorry for my bad english.

This looks like a good fit for you.

Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (&#8364;79.85 @ Amazon Italia)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (&#8364;72.38 @ Amazon Italia)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply (&#8364;40.04 @ Amazon Italia)
Total: &#8364;192.27
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-08 01:24 CET+0100

Ohhhhhh then yes I do. Well that was silly of me to buy that RAM just a few months ago. Ohh well that's still a good 500 for monitor, keyboard and heaphones.

Considering that you just bought it not too long ago, it still has warranty, you might be able to sell it secondhand.

Well, you could go with a cheap i5+Z97 system, and reuse the DDR3 memory.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Considering that you just bought it not too long ago, it still has warranty, you might be able to sell it secondhand.

Nahh, I'd rather eat the DDR3 RAM and ensure my rig is better set to last another 5 years than try and make up for a slightly costly mistake like that. Even if I only get half back reselling the RAM would be fine. Though I was thinking of giving my old rig to my younger cousin to half rebuild for their first gaming PC, might just give it to them with an excessive amount of really good RAM.

Quacking

This looks like a good fit for you.

Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€79.85 @ Amazon Italia)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (€72.38 @ Amazon Italia)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply (€40.04 @ Amazon Italia)
Total: €192.27
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-08 01:24 CET+0100

Thanks man, but Isn't that Power Supply a bit cheap? Also, even if pcpartpicker doesnt detect it for some reason, from that particular shop it also has a 10€ shipping cost.
But the combination of Motherboard and ram looks gorgeous!

I'm not really sure where to post this, but I have an issue with Chrome. ( I am in IT and I've never come across this before nor have my coworkers)

I have Chrome installed and a freshly imaged PC. no junk at all installed. After a few days when I try to google something, Chrome will only display the web and image searches but none of the other tabs for the search tools.

It happens sporadically and no 3rd party software is causing something to be changed. No extensions being run.

Has anyone else had this happen, or have an idea of what could be causing this?

LilJoka

I'm not really sure where to post this, but I have an issue with Chrome. ( I am in IT and I've never come across this before nor have my coworkers)

I have Chrome installed and a freshly imaged PC. no junk at all installed. After a few days when I try to google something, Chrome will only display the web and image searches but none of the other tabs for the search tools.

It happens sporadically and no 3rd party software is causing something to be changed. No extensions being run.

Has anyone else had this happen, or have an idea of what could be causing this?

And does IE continue to work normally?

How have you been solving the issue temporarily?

finalflame

Thanks man, but Isn't that Power Supply a bit cheap? Also, even if pcpartpicker doesnt detect it for some reason, from that particular shop it also has a 10€ shipping cost.
But the combination of Motherboard and ram looks gorgeous!

EVGA makes really solid power supplies, and 500w is far more than you actually need for the system you mentioned you're putting together. If your goal is to stay under 200, it seems like a solid choice, just nothing fancy like modular cables, etc.

Quacking

EVGA makes really solid power supplies, and 500w is far more than you actually need for the system you mentioned you're putting together. If your goal is to stay under 200, it seems like a solid choice, just nothing fancy like modular cables, etc.

I see, that's interesting.

Anyways I guess that if it's worth it I can go up to something like 215-220€ and consider that I wouldn't mind to upgrade the VGA in some years so if I can get already a Power Supply that would give me the option to upgrade without having to change it as well it would be perfect.

I've always wanted to build a PC, and with Valve/HTC's Vive and Oculus seemingly not too far away, do you guys think it would be wise to wait a few months? Or would a PC built now be sufficient?

Also, if I spent maybe $1000-1200 on a rig, how long would that be able to run new releases at 1080 or 1440p with high-max settings?

I've been out of the PC game for a looong time.

Okay, I think it's time to stop ignoring my CPU cooling situation. Not looking to spend more than $50 and I need one that is more foolproof than the Hyper 212 Evo. Any recommendations?

How's this one?

finalflame

Anyways I guess that if it's worth it I can go up to something like 215-220€ and consider that I wouldn't mind to upgrade the VGA in some years so if I can get already a Power Supply that would give me the option to upgrade without having to change it as well it would be perfect.

I ran a full dual-radiator custom loop water cooling system, Z97 mITX motherboard, i5-4670K overclocked to 4.2ghz, GTX 780 Ti overclocked to 1300mhz core, with plenty of peripherals, and used an XFX XTR-550w PSU.

Now, the XFX XTR550 is an 80+ Gold PSU, which means it was high on efficiency. But the point is people far overestimate their PSU needs. In all likelihood, the EVGA PSU would be fine even if you upgraded to a GTX 980.

My build here: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/FfBW7P is only rated at ~366w. Unless you want this PSU to be able to run SLI cards or an X99 system, you're fine, and would be better off spending the extra money on something else (more RAM, bigger SSD).

Alternatively, you could decide you want a modular PSU for cable management purposes, and could look for something that's 80+ Bronze certified and semi-modular or something. Up to you, but the PSU is perfectly suitable for the job, even with a much more powerful GPU.

kennah

Power consumption is trending down, not up.

JMTHEFOX

Taking Liljoka's suggestion in mind, consider this with a different motherboard instead.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4330 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($127.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock H81M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($49.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $502.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-07 19:03 EST-0500

I guess it was a good thing Liljoka persuaded me to take another look at the build. I was able to squeeze in a slightly older but better i3 43XX processor and motherboard set that will work together and have it stay at about $500.

I see, ASRock motherboards look attractive for the price.

Thanks for the suggestions and the new list. Will definitely buy the parts tomorrow.

I was able to obtain a PC with a i7 4770k, it has the stock cpu cooler on it. I would like to install an after market cooler to make sure if I plan to overclock, and also just in general that it stays cooler.

The catch is I am super timid in regards to taking it apart and adding something like the recommended CM Hyper Evo/+.

Are there any aftermarket coolers that install similar to the standard stock that will still give a moderate cooling effect?

Thanks.

I was looking at the Noctua NH-L9i.

ILoveBish

Tell it to me strait guys, help me out here. My PC serves me fine, in reality very few things do not run perfect on it. Mostly i play fighting games on steam like injustice, usf4, kof13, etc. I also use a lot of emulators, so dolphin, ppsspp, pcsx2. For the MOST part, even high end emulation is fine on my machine, but im wondering if i should switch to a intel setup for even better performance.

Specs:

FX6300 + 8 gigs ddr3 + 660ti

Realistically, i'm 99.9% with my results when i try anything on my pc, but i could likely sell my cpu + mb for 100 on craigslist, and use that to buy a intel setup. Microcenter has a I5-4690K + mb for 249 + tax, with coupon code and tax, its about 270 bucks out the door. Then i read that Skylake is due out with a all new socket, so now im wondering if i should even bother when the next socket setup is on the way. In the future, i plan on doing alot of VR gaming on my pc, that is also a factor in all this. Give it to me strait, gaf.

NoRéN

Without even getting into specifics as to what you want to run, if you are almost completely happy with your current set up and can wait for the new stuff, you should just wait.

RGM79

Anyways I guess that if it's worth it I can go up to something like 215-220&#8364; and consider that I wouldn't mind to upgrade the VGA in some years so if I can get already a Power Supply that would give me the option to upgrade without having to change it as well it would be perfect.

In that case, go with this EVGA 750 watt model, it's actually good quality (manufactured by Super Flower) and has a very good review by Jonny Guru. It'll bring the parts list up to 225 Euros, though.

Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (&#8364;79.85 @ Amazon Italia)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (&#8364;72.38 @ Amazon Italia)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (&#8364;73.62 @ Amazon Italia)
Total: &#8364;225.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-08 03:07 CET+0100

Okay, I think it's time to stop ignoring my CPU cooling situation. Not looking to spend more than $50 and I need one that is more foolproof than the Hyper 212 Evo. Any recommendations?

How's this one?

Not as good as the 212 Evo, according to Frostytech. The 212 Evo got a delta-T of 15.9 degrees on high fan speeds, while the CNPS9700 did worse at 19 degrees. There's nothing I can think of that will strongly outperform the 212 Evo at $50.

If you could spend a bit more, there's the excellent Phanteks PH-TC14PE for about $60 after rebate, a 140mm air cooler that performs in between the more expensive Noctua NH-D14 and NH-D15 coolers.

I was able to obtain a PC with a i7 4770k, it has the stock cpu cooler on it. I would like to install an after market cooler to make sure if I plan to overclock, and also just in general that it stays cooler.

The catch is I am super timid in regards to taking it apart and adding something like the recommended CM Hyper Evo/+.

Are there any aftermarket coolers that install similar to the standard stock that will still give a moderate cooling effect?

Thanks.

I was looking at the Noctua NH-L9i.

The NH-L9i is woefully inadequate for overclocking. Tom's Hardware's review actually had it perform 0.3 degrees better than the stock intel cooler at maximum speed, and worse when the NH-L9i and stock intel cooler were both set at 1500RPM. It did better when OverclockersClub tested it, but it's still not worth considering for overclocking.

The best you can hope for is the Cooler Master TX3 for around $20, it may be able to handle an overclock in the lower 4GHz range.

Tell it to me strait guys, help me out here. My PC serves me fine, in reality very few things do not run perfect on it. Mostly i play fighting games on steam like injustice, usf4, kof13, etc. I also use a lot of emulators, so dolphin, ppsspp, pcsx2. For the MOST part, even high end emulation is fine on my machine, but im wondering if i should switch to a intel setup for even better performance.

Specs:

FX6300 + 8 gigs ddr3 + 660ti

Realistically, i'm 99.9% with my results when i try anything on my pc, but i could likely sell my cpu + mb for 100 on craigslist, and use that to buy a intel setup. Microcenter has a I5-4690K + mb for 249 + tax, with coupon code and tax, its about 270 bucks out the door. Then i read that Skylake is due out with a all new socket, so now im wondering if i should even bother when the next socket setup is on the way. In the future, i plan on doing alot of VR gaming on my pc, that is also a factor in all this. Give it to me strait, gaf.

If you're 99.9% content, why bother upgrading? Save the money. Don't upgrade for the sake of upgrading if you don't actually need the higher performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom