• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quotient

Good call, I always think the 240 is ITX.

The Air 240 is alot smaller than the Air 540, but i was hopping to find a micro-ATX case in something around the size of the Node 304. The Silverstone Sugo SG10 is only a little bigger than the Node 304 and allows micro-ATX but is just dam ugly. Since my i game at 1080p, i probably don't need SLI and mini-ITX should suffice.

SpyGuy239

GAF I need help. Everything was fine today with my monitor then I played Fleet Command on Steam (a very old game) anyway the game was flickering so I closed it but now my LED monitor keeps on flickering.

I thought the refresh rate might have changed so I checked, and it's still at 60Hz which is the native.

I tried reinstalling graphics cards drivers but still flickering.

I connected my laptop to my monitor and you could still see the flickering.

Can a game really break a monitor

Appreciate all help. Thanks!

Sorry. Just bumping this up as it was stuck at the end of a page.

Appreciate all help. Thanks a mil!

Armaly

Hi guys, is there a way to see if my monitor has input lag. I have this monitor. I've been practicing links in street fighter for quite a while and was never actually able to land them. After going on the sound of my button inputs rather than looking to see what actually happens on screen i've dramatically improved. I discussed it with a friend and he said that it might be due to input lag. I don't really have any experience with this so is there a way I can test this? Thanks.

LilJoka

The Air 240 is alot smaller than the Air 540, but i was hopping to find a micro-ATX case in something around the size of the Node 304. The Silverstone Sugo SG10 is only a little bigger than the Node 304 and allows micro-ATX but is just dam ugly. Since my i game at 1080p, i probably don't need SLI and mini-ITX should suffice.

Bitfenix Phenom or maybe Silverstone TJ08. I think you should go ITX. I play at 1080p on a TV and have no issue with ITX, see my Node 304 on pg150.

Quotient

Bitfenix Phenom or maybe Silverstone TJ08. I think you should go ITX. I play at 1080p on a TV and have no issue with ITX, see my Node 304 on pg150.

From your advice many pages back, the Node 304 is what i am leaning towards, it is super compact, yet has enough room for a full-size GPU.

I am really eager to pull the trigger now, but i figure it is best to wait for AMD to make a move and see where all the pieces (and prices) fall. I am fine waiting another few months before buying.

EDIT: Silverstone TJ08 is extraordinary compact as well (for a micro-ATX case).

Water

Hi guys, thoughts on what PC case would work best for my scenario?

- Will stand on the floor of a classroom 99% of the time, may need to be carried around / transported a couple times a year
- Expected contents: single GTX980 or better, 4790K, 1x 3.5" drive, 1x 2.5" SSD. Not sure about optical drive. Evo or similar air cooler, or a low end CLC if there's some upside to it other than looks.
- Should have a bit of ruggedness, not something where side panels open accidentally when moving the case, or that gets dented if someone looks at it
- Should not be loud when under load, but doesn't need to be extremely quiet
- Weight and size negotiable, but relatively light and small would be nice for the occasions when the case is transported. No reason this machine couldn't be built with an ITX mobo, I guess?
- Should have decent dust filtering. Won't be opened often, if at all. Internals shouldn't be such a puzzle box that a repair like throwing in a new HDD is a big deal, but otherwise it's irrelevant how easy the case is to fiddle with.
- Looks: anything goes except the vacuum cleaner with LEDs and windows look.

Fractal Define S is looking good to me except it's a lot larger than needed. Could still go with it unless there's a better option.

Dutcher

Neo Member
It just means they ship with a mild overclock. There's no guarantee of the actual card being a better sample than the other, as they only bin chips for their Classified series of cards.

The ASUS Z97 Plus is literally the same motherboard as the Hero, but not red and black.

I like the Crucial drives over the Samsung EVO stuff, but get whatever is cheaper really.

Two Titans on a Consumer Socket (1155) board seems wrong to me.

1200W is ridiculous overkill. You'll need 850 max.

No CPU cooler?

This is almost the same price, and a much better PC:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($299.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI X99S SLI Plus ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($149.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($169.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Crucial MX200 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($189.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($71.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($1226.44 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($1226.44 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G2 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $3684.65
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-28 13:35 EDT-0400

I forgot the cooler. Which you included the same one anyway. OOPS

People were telling me that the z97 is simply cheaper, and that x99 wont add that much.
I went with 1200W to make sure it will be enough for the build. Its pretty demanding i mean.. Are you sure i can go lower ?Seems better to go with 1200.

Also, people were telling me that i should consider getting I7 and swap the titans for 2 980.
What are you thoughts? From i understood its more balance, but i really want raw power with my build.

Edit: i now see you swapped for a I7 anyhow. Cant i just stick with the I5?

mkenyon

Banned
So, in the build that I linked you went from a 4C/4T processor with 16 PCI-E lanes to a 6C/12T processor with 24 PCI-E lanes.

That 1000W G2 PSU put in the build will leave you with a lot of overhead. It's an amazing PSU.

*edit*

I see your edit. But, like I said, you get three times the threads, with two additional physical cores *and* more PCI-E lanes. When you're looking at dual titans, you want to make sure your processor is on point as well.

Also, that being said, there will be a much cheaper alternative to the Titan coming sometime within 8ish months, maybe sooner. Much like the 780 was to the original Titan.

Dutcher

Neo Member
So, in the build that I linked you went from a 4C/4T processor with 16 PCI-E lanes to a 6C/12T processor with 24 PCI-E lanes.

That 1000W G2 PSU put in the build will leave you with a lot of overhead. It's an amazing PSU.

*edit*

I see your edit. But, like I said, you get three times the threads, with two additional physical cores *and* more PCI-E lanes. When you're looking at dual titans, you want to make sure your processor is on point as well.

Also, that being said, there will be a much cheaper alternative to the Titan coming sometime within 8ish months, maybe sooner. Much like the 780 was to the original Titan.

Aright, i will try to check your build and see if its better than what i had with a couple of people.

By the way, what do you think about using the ASUS PG278Q ROG Swift 27-Inch with this build? 144HZ/4K seems perfect to get the most out of it.

LilJoka

From your advice many pages back, the Node 304 is what i am leaning towards, it is super compact, yet has enough room for a full-size GPU.

I am really eager to pull the trigger now, but i figure it is best to wait for AMD to make a move and see where all the pieces (and prices) fall. I am fine waiting another few months before buying.

EDIT: Silverstone TJ08 is extraordinary compact as well (for a micro-ATX case).

Yeah i have a build in that too. The worst thing about that case is that the HDD mounts cause the Drive cables to protrude into the CPU Air Cooler area. So i mounted the drives in the DVD Drive bays with velcro and some sheet metal.

Heres mine
http://www.overclock.net/t/1068487/silverstone-tj08-e-owners-club/6070#post_22311206

Aright, i will try to check your build and see if its better than what i had with a couple of people.

By the way, what do you think about using the ASUS PG278Q ROG Swift 27-Inch with this build? 144HZ/4K seems perfect to get the most out of it.

You would be incredibly silly not to get X99 5820K with such a configuration.

Dutcher

Neo Member
Yeah i have a build in that too. The worst thing about that case is that the HDD mounts cause the Drive cables to protrude into the CPU Air Cooler area. So i mounted the drives in the DVD Drive bays with velcro and some sheet metal.

Heres mine
http://www.overclock.net/t/1068487/silverstone-tj08-e-owners-club/6070#post_22311206

You would be incredibly silly not to get X99 5820K with such a configuration.

If you go all in you better go all in i guess.

What do you think about mkenyoy build?

Hey all. I'm about to upgrade my Alienware X51 with a PNY GTX 970.

Do I need to completely uninstall my existing 760ti's nvidia drivers before installing the new GPU?

Thanks!

mkenyon

Banned

The Swift is 1440p, and yeah, that's what I'd suggest. I mean, the 1440p part. The monitor you want is probably this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ription=acer+predator+xb270hu&N=-1&isNodeId=1

It's IPS as opposed to the TN panel on the Swift. The Swift still has a place, which is for competitive gaming over the Predator. But for everything outside of that, the Predator is a completely superior product.
Hey all. I'm about to upgrade my Alienware X51 with a PNY GTX 970.

Do I need to completely uninstall my existing 760ti's nvidia drivers before installing the new GPU?

Thanks!
Actually, ignore ACE's suggestion (sorry m8). They're the same drivers. No need for uninstalling.

So, I recently got the Windows 8.1 black screen of death. (Login, only see black screen with cursor, CTL ALT DEL doesnt work, nothing). I scanned the drive for viruses, did SFC scan, did CHKDSK, tried startup repair, looked at WINLOGON registry keys, and nothing. I still can not figure it out, any help?

RGM79

Any issues with this RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16820233186&cm_sp=

CORSAIR Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Any better deals on perhaps 1866RAM?

Nothing wrong with that Corsair RAM, but if you're looking for high speed, there's this 2x4GB kit of G.Skill 2400MHz RAM for $55 with free shipping.

So, I recently got the Windows 8.1 black screen of death. (Login, only see black screen with cursor, CTL ALT DEL doesnt work, nothing). I scanned the drive for viruses, did SFC scan, did CHKDSK, tried startup repair, looked at WINLOGON registry keys, and nothing. I still can not figure it out, any help?

Have you recently installed or changed anything, hardware or software? Does safe mode work?

ACE 1991

The Swift is 1440p, and yeah, that's what I'd suggest. I mean, the 1440p part. The monitor you want is probably this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ription=acer+predator+xb270hu&N=-1&isNodeId=1

It's IPS as opposed to the TN panel on the Swift. The Swift still has a place, which is for competitive gaming over the Predator. But for everything outside of that, the Predator is a completely superior product.

Actually, ignore ACE's suggestion (sorry m8). They're the same drivers. No need for uninstalling.

Really? Someone in this thread told me that it is best practice to start from a fresh driver install, even if the driver is compatible with the new GPU. Don't mind me Reluctant-Hero!

mkenyon

Banned
Really? Someone in this thread told me that it is best practice to start from a fresh driver install, even if the driver is compatible with the new GPU. Don't mind me Reluctant-Hero!
Yeah, it's totally fine. Back when I used to run benchmarks, I'd swap between 3-4 different cards without a driver reinstall.

As long as it's NVIDIA->NVIDIA or AMD->AMD, then it's fine. If you go from one to the other, that's when you want to nuke it from orbit, just to be sure.

Yeah, it's totally fine. Back when I used to run benchmarks, I'd swap between 3-4 different cards without a driver reinstall.

As long as it's NVIDIA->NVIDIA or AMD->AMD, then it's fine. If you go from one to the other, that's when you want to nuke it from orbit, just to be sure.

No worries, Ace. Thanks, mkenyon, I'll give it a shot with the drivers installed.

RGM79

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for mechanical keyboards under $100? Unfortunately it has to be from NCIX.com (Canadian side, not NCIXUS). I myself have a CM Storm Quickfire TK, but I'm out of the loop when it comes to mechanical keyboards and I'm sure the person I'm building a PC for right now wants something with a non-compact, standard layout. Nothing specific in terms of features, all that was quoted to me in terms of requirements was "something decent".

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, the Canadian price kind of throws it off for me, but that looks like a solid bet under $100 CAD.

I have 5 of those in use between my friends and myself (got a deal on a ton of them through the CM Rep who was once a teammate), and they're all going strong after 3ish years.

The Quickfire stuff is made by the same people who build Filcos, so it's good stuff.

*edit*

If the person is mostly a typist, get the one with Brown switches. If this is a dedicated gaming rig, get Reds.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I decided to upgrade my PC's graphics card since I'm opening it for the first time in about 6 years to install a SSD. I think the GTX 970 will fit my needs (games will play at max settings and is relatively cheap at about $300). So I search "gtx 970" on Newegg and 58 results pop up.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...iveSearchResult=True&Order=RATING&PageSize=30

Other than the obvious search results that aren't the 970, are there any huge difference between these cards? Any particular model that is better than the others? Gigabyte vs PNY, etc. (One of them comes with a backplate, another doesn't)

I decided to upgrade my PC's graphics card since I'm opening it for the first time in about 6 years to install a SSD. I think the GTX 970 will fit my needs (games will play at max settings and is relatively cheap at about $300). So I search "gtx 970" on Newegg and 58 results pop up.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...iveSearchResult=True&Order=RATING&PageSize=30

Other than the obvious search results that aren't the 970, are there any huge difference between these cards? Any particular model that is better than the others? Gigabyte vs PNY, etc. (One of them comes with a backplate, another doesn't)

Minor differences in base speeds, cooling and looks. Also some brands are better at overclocking than others. The Gigabyte gtx 970 is objectively the best with slightly higher base clocks and better cooling.

In terms of fps in a game you'll barely notice a difference between the brands though.

Stubo

The different coolers have different characteristics.

I'd personally stick to EVGA, Asus, Gigabyte and MSI because of their excellent cooling performance and quiet fans. Of these, some of their models have fans which don't spin until the card reaches a certain temperature (under more than light loads, typically).

Simply put, I'd personally choose the ridiculously named Super SuperClocked from EVGA because it has the newest version of the excellent ACX cooler, the 0 rpm fan mode and generally performs well.

However the other options such as the Gigabyte Windforce provide excellent value if you're looking to save some notes.

I have a Windforce 780 and have been very happy with it, you can't really go wrong with the above coolers, the Asus Strix or the MSI Gaming/Twin Frozr V series. Read reviews and pick which one suits your needs/tastes the most.

Edit: This page on pcpartpicker may be of use to you.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Thanks! And in regards to installing, it should be as simple as just popping out the old one and sticking in the new one? Nothing special with installation these days? And I should probably also make sure my power supply / fan can handle the new card?

Stubo

Thanks! And in regards to installing, it should be as simple as just popping out the old one and sticking in the new one? Nothing special with installation these days? And I should probably also make sure my power supply / fan can handle the new card?

I think when I upgraded Nvidia->Nvidia last time I did the whole driver uninstall, reinstall song and dance, but this seems to be good news!

As for your power supply, yes that's definitely worth considering. You can post the rest of your build and the power supply model in here if you're not sure, or use an online wattage calculator tool.

As for fans, the custom coolers do a great job as long as your case has some sort of airflow. Again though, advice is readily available if you post what you currently have.

Chitown B

980 is about twice the gaming performance of my 270x oc, but it's also twice the cost. Just depends how much you want to spend I guess.

terrisus

Still hoping for some help with this, from a couple of pages ago:

Hey PCGAF!

I'm looking to put together a relatively inexpensive desktop as a backup to my main computer
(which is a laptop hooked to a trackball, keyboard, and monitor >.>)

Next week I'm getting the following parts, thanks to a trade with an awesome GAFfer:

M5A78L-M LX PLUS Motherboard
AMD Phenom 2i Processor
Cooler Master Thermal Sink
GT640 Graphics Card

So, I think I still need...
A case
Power Supply
RAM
Hard Drive
OS
Am I missing anything else?...

Ignoring OS, can people link me to some relatively cheap stuff (budget < $150) - that's relatively on-par with the above parts, anyway - that I can use to complete the build?
Thanks a bunch =)

SRG01

Your motherboard might be able to control fan speed on the 3 pin connectors.

Otherwise, you can just get an in-line voltage regulator.

Yep, just checked and it looks like the motherboard has variable speeds on SYSFAN as well. I'll install the motherboard software tonight and see :)

My 960 should be arriving tomorrow or the day after. I'll take some photos once I install it and do some cable management!

RGM79

Still hoping for some help with this, from a couple of pages ago:

Hey PCGAF!

I'm looking to put together a relatively inexpensive desktop as a backup to my main computer
(which is a laptop hooked to a trackball, keyboard, and monitor >.>)

Next week I'm getting the following parts, thanks to a trade with an awesome GAFfer:

M5A78L-M LX PLUS Motherboard
AMD Phenom 2i Processor
Cooler Master Thermal Sink
GT640 Graphics Card

So, I think I still need...
A case
Power Supply
RAM
Hard Drive
OS
Am I missing anything else?...

Ignoring OS, can people link me to some relatively cheap stuff (budget < $150) - that's relatively on-par with the above parts, anyway - that I can use to complete the build?
Thanks a bunch =)

That's a tall order for $150. Unless you can live with a smaller hard drive, I'd opt for the following:

Memory: G.Skill NS Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($51.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($27.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $164.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-28 17:47 EDT-0400

What's some decent places to try to sell a used graphics card besides the usual ebay/Craigslist?

Just in case it matters, in particular, I'm looking to finally part ways with this:

EVGA SuperClocked 015-P3-1582-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support

mkenyon

Banned
What's some decent places to try to sell a used graphics card besides the usual ebay/Craigslist?

Just in case it matters, in particular, I'm looking to finally part ways with this:

EVGA SuperClocked 015-P3-1582-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support
GAF B/S/T, then the various hardware forums like HardForums and Overclock.net.

NG28

My Corsair 200R has ventilation holes on the top of it for fans. I'm not putting any fans up there, so can I cover it with something? Either completely or partially so dust and particles don't fall inside? I also have to put in on the floor, so I'm afraid of liquid falling into it (shit happens).

Finally bit on a deal for a 970 on TigerDirect. Asus STRIX 970 + 2x4gb RAM + 750w PSU for ~$309 after $60 MIR and 10% cash back. =D

I probably don't need the RAM or PSU though. Already have a 600w PSU and 8gb of ram from better brands.

RGM79

My Corsair 200R has ventilation holes on the top of it for fans. I'm not putting any fans up there, so can I cover it with something? Either completely or partially so dust and particles don't fall inside? I also have to put in on the floor, so I'm afraid of liquid falling into it (shit happens).

Certain companies make cases with fan covers (Cooler Master Silencio line, Fractal Design Define series, etc) but I'm not aware of any generic/universal 120mm fan covers. Universal fan mount filters exist, but that probably won't stop liquids from falling inside.

You'll have to improvise something, I think.

terrisus

That's a tall order for $150. Unless you can live with a smaller hard drive, I'd opt for the following:

Memory: G.Skill NS Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($51.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($27.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $164.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-28 17:47 EDT-0400

Yeah, I'm sorry, I should have specified. I'm fine going with a smaller hard drive for now, and upgrading that later. Mainly concerned with finding "compatible" parts to make it into a working system.

And, thanks =)
Honestly, that build looks fine. As I said, I'm not looking for much out of it beyond a backup, just kind of a "working computer" sort of situation :þ

If anyone else has "build completion" ideas for that scenario, feel free to pass them along, as it will be a week or so until I can do it anyway =)

friday

If I wanted to build a cheap PC for work use that needed about 3.0 ghz CPU and 4 to 8 gigs for RAM what would you guys suggest? I know you can buy cheap desktops from the major manufactures, but I need zero bloatware and I will like the option of being able to reformat whenever I needed to. I would be running software like CXT and other tracking software.

IMACOMPUTA

If I wanted to build a cheap PC for work use that needed about 3.0 ghz CPU and 4 to 8 gigs for RAM what would you guys suggest? I know you can buy cheap desktops from the major manufactures, but I need zero bloatware and I will like the option of being able to reformat whenever I needed to. I would be running software like CXT and other tracking software.

Can it be a dual-core?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom