• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

N° 2048

Depends how much you have to spend, but the graphics card should be first, you'll see the biggest difference there. The processor (and motherboard) should be second to upgrade, owing to their age.

If a new processor and motherboard is out of the question for now, then consider overclocking your processor to get more out of it for the time being. If you don't have a decent CPU cooler to overclock with, then consider picking one up. It's relatively cheap for a decent one (even under $50 is ok) and you can reuse it with a new processor and motherboard if you upgrade them later on anyway.

What country are you in, and would your budget for upgrades be? What are you aiming for in terms of performance? 1080p? Maximum settings?

Canada and budget wise $400ish.

I'm looking to just match current gen consoles so 'high' settings but 1080p yea. Was eyeing the Powercolor R9 270X. Would my CPU+mobo be a huge bottleneck?

LilJoka

Can someone help me out?

Looking to play Arkham Knight. What should I upgrade? Preferably cheapish :p

Current build:

AMD Phenom II X4 955
8GB DDR 3
Radeon HD 9850
Gigabyte 880gma-ud2h motherboard

Thanks in advance!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($135.94 @ shopRBC)
Motherboard: MSI H97M-E35 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($78.80 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 270X 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($179.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $394.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-06 11:13 EDT-0400

N° 2048

CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($135.94 @ shopRBC)
Motherboard: MSI H97M-E35 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($78.80 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 270X 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($179.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $394.73
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-06 11:13 EDT-0400

Thanks for this, looks like pretty much what I was eyeing yesterday.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So my never ending PC building nightmare of 2015 continues.

So I bought a second 970 FTW to run in SLI for wild hunt. Somehow while trying to get the second card to be detected, my mobo fried. Unsure what it was, I ordered a new power supply, mobo, and case for good measure.

Just finished installing the new mobo, and to a huge grin, my PC is now booting to the bios again.

However I have Windows 8.1 installed on a Crucial M4 SSD, and no matter what SATA port I use on my new ASRock Z777 Exfreme 4 mobo, the drive is not detected in the bios.

The board detects all other older HDDs, but not my SSD. Which happens to be the one with windows on it...

Help?

The Llama

So I bought a second 970 FTW to run in SLI for wild hunt. Somehow while trying to get the second card to be detected, my mobo fried. Unsure what it was, I ordered a new power supply, mobo, and case for good measure.

Just finished installing the new mobo, and to a huge grin, my PC is now booting to the bios again.

However I have Windows 8.1 installed on a Crucial M4 SSD, and no matter what SATA port I use on my new ASRock Z777 Exfreme 4 mobo, the drive is not detected in the bios.

The board detects all other older HDDs, but not my SSD. Which happens to be the one with windows on it...

Help?

Do you have any other computers you could plug it into? Seems weird, but possible that somehow the SSD fried at the same time the mobo did?

LilJoka

Help?

This sounds like the abrupt power off issue with the M4, steps to solve:
http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/Why-did-my-SSD-quot-disappear-quot-from-my-system/ta-p/65215

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Do you have any other computers you could plug it into? Seems weird, but possible that somehow the SSD fried at the same time the mobo did?

Unfortunately I do not have another PC. Really hate to have to go out and buy another SSD(this unexpected rebuild has cost enough already). Especially if it's not really the SSD itself and more of a detection issue.

Also, if I do buy a new SSD, not sure how I would get 8.1 onto it. Pretty certain I upgraded digitally from a windows 7 disc I no longer have. Would I have a code in my email or something for it?

spinz

ok... so after repeated problems with my old case, iv decided to start over. All advice and critique welcome :)
Couple notes: the videocard is one that i currently have. And im looking for opinions on whether this case/combo should be cold and quiet. I plan on gaming with one monitor, and playing games such as the witcher 3.. Im not super concerned about a huge fps.
Thanks!

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($309.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($135.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($61.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($96.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.49 @ OutletPC)
Wired Network Adapter: TP-Link TG-3468 10/100/1000 Mbps PCI-Express x1 Network Adapter ($12.91 @ Amazon)
Total: $1086.20
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-06 11:38 EDT-0400

Gothos

My MSI 970 Gaming 4G was shipped today but the more I read about it the more I think about not paying for it. Whining coils, problems with lack of backplate... ugh.
I'm really scared it will be a shitty purchase :(

Alright guys, this is likely to be my last question for a while, but if I mostly plan to play at 1080p 60fps (though my display can do 4k), is there any reason I should go for a 980 instead of a 970? I figure that if I really need better perf I can just pick up a second 970 later on, but I'd like your perspective.

mkenyon

Banned
ok... so after repeated problems with my old case, iv decided to start over. All advice and critique welcome :)
Couple notes: the videocard is one that i currently have. And im looking for opinions on whether this case/combo should be cold and quiet. I plan on gaming with one monitor, and playing games such as the witcher 3.. Im not super concerned about a huge fps.
Thanks!

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($135.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($61.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($96.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.49 @ OutletPC)
Wired Network Adapter: TP-Link TG-3468 10/100/1000 Mbps PCI-Express x1 Network Adapter ($12.91 @ Amazon)
Total: $1086.20
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-06 11:38 EDT-0400
I'd actually look at swapping it out for a mATX case with decent airflow, and then grab another fan to put on the bottom or side of the case to blow directly at the 290. That'll help keep the fans on the 290 down a bit by providing direct cool air to it. If you're set on ATX, then I'd almost suggest a swap to something like the Arc Midi, or just add another fan to the Define.
My MSI 970 Gaming 4G was shipped today but the more I read about it the more I think about not paying for it. Whining coils, problems with lack of backplate... ugh.
People don't post reports of their good purchases, just remember that. You will always find bad reports of anything when you start digging, because that's the only time people go out of their way to say something.
Alright guys, this is likely to be my last question for a while, but if I mostly plan to play at 1080p 60fps (though my display can do 4k), is there any reason I should go for a 980 instead of a 970? I figure that if I really need better perf I can just pick up a second 970 later on, but I'd like your perspective.
Always buy the best single GPU you can afford. The 970 would be great though. Never ever ever ever ever ever plan for adding a second card in the future for more performance. Sell it, and buy the next best single GPU you can afford. You'll avoid so many headaches this way.

I'm this close to sell my R290 Vapor-X (2 month old yay) for a 970/980

The performance in some of the latest games is ridiculous in comparison, ugh
Yeah, that 2 game deal has me looking at my 280X with raised eyebrows, wondering if I should take the leap for the 970.

€370 is a lot of money, considering I just bought everything last February.

I dunno. Then I wonder if I should just go for the 980, go crazy big, and be better ready for the Vive/Rift next year.

Any thoughts?

mkenyon

Banned
I'm this close to sell my R290 Vapor-X (2 month old yay) for a 970/980

The performance in some of the latest games is ridiculous in comparison, ugh
Yeah, that 2 game deal has me looking at my 280X with raised eyebrows, wondering if I should take the leap for the 970.

€370 is a lot of money, considering I just bought everything last February.

I dunno. Then I wonder if I should just go for the 980, go crazy big, and be better ready for the Vive/Rift next year.

Any thoughts?
First, overclock your cards to the bleeding limit. You could be seeing a 10-20+% boost in performance.

I've had mine for a month now. I haven't had any problems at all. It's pretty damn quiet and even when the fans turn up to 50% I can barely hear them unless I put my ears up to my case. I have a Source 210 Elite and I could hear my old 7850 when the fans started blaring.

spinz

I'd actually look at swapping it out for a mATX case with decent airflow, and then grab another fan to put on the bottom or side of the case to blow directly at the 290. That'll help keep the fans on the 290 down a bit by providing direct cool air to it. If you're set on ATX, then I'd almost suggest a swap to something like the Arc Midi, or just add another fan to the Define.

I'm totally open to other cases, what about something like:

Case: Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)

Could someone help me with some quick troubleshooting? My laptop (which I'm currently using with the new monitor for the PC I'll build as soon as all the parts arrive) keeps emitting some "beeps" like when you plug in or out a USB. It seems to be my mouse sadly D: Do you guys think that might be the cable acting weird or could it be something else? It started happening just recently, and it seems more frequent when I'm playing something.

Ragona

This is probably alot of speculation, but what are the chances of a 2500k living 2-3 more years with dx12?
+ is a 7 year old PSU (Corsair TX650W 650 W) still ok to power a new gpu? (970)

mkenyon

Banned
Could someone help me with some quick troubleshooting? My laptop (which I'm currently using with the new monitor for the PC I'll build as soon as all the parts arrive) keeps emitting some "beeps" like when you plug in or out a USB. It seems to be my mouse sadly D: Do you guys think that might be the cable acting weird or could it be something else? It started happening just recently, and it seems more frequent when I'm playing something.
Like, the windows notification that a USB device has been unplugged? Or like, an internal beep from the hardware speaker.
This is probably alot of speculation, but what are the chances of a 2500k living 2-3 more years with dx12?
Honestly, pretty well.

Its full potential hasn't even been tapped yet. Especially if you have it in the 4.5 GHz range, it's still a fucking beast.

eso76

Needed 2 new PC's for work and this is what we are getting:

MOBO: ASUS X99-A Socket 2011v3 DDR4 SATA 3 USB3
CPU: Intel Core i7-5820k 3.3Ghz
RAM: 16 GB DDR4 (4x4 GB)
HDD: 250GB SSD
HDD: 2x 3TB HGST SATA 3 HDD
GPU: GTX 960 (yeah, i know)
Monitor: 2x HP Pavilion 23XI 23" IPS LED

Sound like beasts to me.
Parts of it are overkill, too bad for the GPU, but we wouldn't really take advantage of a much better one anyway. Still, 100$ more for a 970...eh, anyway. Not gaming PC's anyway. These will be used for video editing (mostly) and all kinds of motion / static graphics.

Gambit61

My EVGA 970 SSC is shipping soon and I'm slightly worried it might have the displayport issue mentioned in a newegg review. People are reporting that the displayports won't work on multiple display setups. Could it be that they aren't using active cables? Besides that I can't wait to test it out.

Like, the windows notification that a USB device has been unplugged? Or like, an internal beep from the hardware speaker.
The windows notification one. And as time goes on I'm now pretty much sure it's the mouse. I'll try using it for a bit on another port and see if it still does that.

A Windows notification occurs when you plug or unplug a USB device automatically. Like, it'd be weird if it didn't do it.
My bad, I phrased that awfully. What I meant is that it does the Windows notification when nothing is being plugged or unplugged. And I'm pretty sure it's the mouse fault, I'm trying to see if changing port helps.

spinz

My bad, I phrased that awfully. What I meant is that it does the Windows notification when nothing is being plugged or unplugged. And I'm pretty sure it's the mouse fault, I'm trying to see if changing port helps.

Do you have another mouse you can try? Could be a weird driver issue too.

Do you have another mouse you can try? Could be a weird driver issue too.
It seems to be working fine for now, so I'll wait a bit more, but I do have one around and I'll try it if needed. I don't think it's a driver issue, as I have been using it for many months now, but you never know!

Gritesh

So I want to get into racing games. I'm going to buy a g27.

But I want to play project cars and dirt rally and I wanna play project cars with no performance issues.

Right now I have an i5 2500k and an HD 7950.

Am I good to go or do I need to upgrade the video card?

Thanks guys.

kennah

So I want to get into racing games. I'm going to buy a g27.

But I want to play project cars and dirt rally and I wanna play project cars with no performance issues.

Right now I have an i5 2500k and an HD 7950.

Am I good to go or do I need to upgrade the video card?

Thanks guys.
Overclock your 2500k try the game. Upgrade your video card if you feel you need to then. 7950 is still quite competitive.

Gritesh

Yeah my 2500 is over clocked I can't remember what I'm running but it was as high as I could go while staying stable I think 4.2 sounds right?

Well I bought it on gmg will have to wait and see how it performs but it will have to do I'm not upgrading until I at least see the 300 series from amd

spinz

Yup, it's a good one. Arc Mini also really good. Just swap out the motherboard for the mATX version of it and you're good to go.

thanks! after taking close looks, i really like the arc mini and midi. Now im not sure which to go with. It seems like the only difference between mATX and ATX is a couple inches. Is there any particular benefit to going with mATX??

This is my first build. I've checked over everything, and as far as I can tell there's no compatibility issues. Is there anything I should consider changing, or mistakes I have made? I'm hoping to order this soon to take advantage of the Witcher 3 + Batman Promotion for the GTX 970.

CPU Cooler: Corsair H55 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($61.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 7 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($151.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($101.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.50 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($329.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1264.41
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-06 16:41 EDT-0400

This is my first build. I've checked over everything, and as far as I can tell there's no compatibility issues. Is there anything I should consider changing, or mistakes I have made? I'm hoping to order this soon to take advantage of the Witcher 3 + Batman Promotion for the GTX 970.

CPU Cooler: Corsair H55 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($61.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 7 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($151.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($101.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.50 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($329.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1264.41
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-06 16:41 EDT-0400
I would replace that SanDisk SSD with this Crucial BX100.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/crucial-internal-hard-drive-ct250bx100ssd1

I'm not too sure about the quality of those SanDisk drives.

Narroo

Just had a random thought about this thread's title:

Wouldn't "Rise Above Forged Precision Science" imply something to the effect of
"Start using voodoo in your PC instead of science?"

I don't want to use Voodoo again, 3DFX sucks.

Acrylic7

I'm finally done with my first gaming build. Its awesome and super fast, cant wait to break her in. I'm so hyped I don't know what game to test first.

Thanks RGM79, and everyone else who took the time to assist me :)

edit-
Oh and what was that program that's used to download a bunch of programs at once so you don't have to spend all day looking?

Question. Should I always be turning on triple buffering? I'm very sensitive to screen tearing and my rig seems to be plagued with it even when using in game v-sync settings.

Alright fellow GAFfers, my build parts are complete and ready for purchase. I'm pretty happy with the way its turned out. Here's the final part list, which I'm about to order later today. If you guys would give it one final look over to make sure I'm not forgetting anything or overlooking something, I'd appreciate it.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($113.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($108.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB 100 Million Edition Video Card ($342.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT H630 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDC-207DBK Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($39.00 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Keyboard: Logitech K750 Wireless Slim Keyboard ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1309.35

Special thanks to Hazaro and mkenyon for the advice!

I'm finally done with my first gaming build. Its awesome and super fast, cant wait to break her in. I'm so hyped I don't know what game to test first.

Thanks RGM79, and everyone else who took the time to assist me :)

edit-
Oh and what was that program that's used to download a bunch of programs at once so you don't have to spend all day looking?
I think Ninite does that. Not sure if there's a better one.

mkenyon

Banned
1) Why the H630?

2) Why the wireless mouse and KB? Is this an HTPC?

3) Considered upgrading the motherboard to have onboard WiFi, rather than having to deal with an adapter? Also, why WiFi? No where near the router?

1) Why the H630?

2) Why the wireless mouse and KB? Is this an HTPC?

3) Considered upgrading the motherboard to have onboard WiFi, rather than having to deal with an adapter? Also, why WiFi? No where near the router?
H630 because it's sleek, no flashing lights, noise reduction with good airflow (from what I've heard). Suggestions welcome.
I wanted the adapter for Bluetooth connectivity; the PC will be plugged in to an Ethernet cable.
Are there MOBOs with WiFi and Bluetooth?
Wireless M&KB because I'm sitting 9 feet from the PC. I plan to use my PlayStation 4 controller or a 360 controller for most games anyway.

BlackEyes

i don't understand what am i doing wrong,, jesus christ i even bought a new case for this problem and it didn't fix it at all,
so here's the problem
sli 970 gtx
first gpu reaches 90C+
second gpu never passes 44C
here is how my setup looks like:
http://s27.postimg.org/ytlzkh5mq/unnamed_1.jpg
please help me cause i don't know what to do anymore T___T

and yes, i did switch cards and checked if the problem is because of 1 card, no it doesn't matter, which card, the top one always get so freaking hot it's insane

i don't understand what am i doing wrong,, jesus christ i even bought a new case for this problem and it didn't fix it at all,
so here's the problem
sli 970 gtx
first gpu reaches 90C+
second gpu never passes 44C
here is how my setup looks like:
http://s27.postimg.org/ytlzkh5mq/unnamed_1.jpg
please help me cause i don't know what to do anymore T___T
EDIT: Read the edited in part. That is really strange if it happens to both cards within that slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom