• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've got the Node 304.

I'm thinking about skipping the eVGA 960 and going straight to a 970 for $100 more.

For the life of me, I'm worried about noise and heat in the 304. I've got an after market CPU cooler, and I plan on using all the fans that come with the 304.

Anyone think I should steer away from a 970 in such a small case since I'm not doing watercooling or anything?

Mind..I'm only going to play Star Citizen, Witcher 3, Star Wars Battlefront at 1080p. I'm also using this as my HTPC that will sit under my living room table. Noise and heat are important.

$340 for the 970 or $240 for the 4GB 960?

I don't need a new PC, but I am looking for an affordable tablet with a screen (this is key) that is usable outdoors, in direct sunlight. Mainly for reading comic books. Anyone have any suggestions?

I remember someone suggesting one of the Samsung Galaxy models a year or so back. Can't find the thread though.

Dartastic

That case is nice. I personally do not recommend case, as I believe it should suit the personal preference of the person asking. So if you like it, no reason not to choose it. It's a very good case.

Also I made a mistake with that motherboard there. Somehow, I thought it supported SLI while it actually doesn't. See my updated build below.

Well, choosing a motherboard mostly depends on what kind of functions you want to have. If you don't need anything in particular, it doesn't make a big difference.

The one I chose below fit your micro atx case, with SLI capability.

However, if you do not plan to SLI ( which is not really good unless absolutely necessary), we can go with the previous motherboard as it's cheap and it works well enough. Going solo GPU will allow us to drop the PSU to a less powerful, less expensive one too.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($309.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($101.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($114.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($108.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card ($304.79 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 350D Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1225.18
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-07 18:44 EDT-0400

I just have a few suggestions for that build.

The Ripjaws X RAM is kinda tall at 40mm and may interfere with the 212 Evo's fan. Normally the 212 Evo has clearance for RAM up to 37mm tall and you would be able to slide the fan up to allow even more room underneath, but the Corsair 350D's specs say it supports CPU cooler height of 160mm, and the 212 Evo is already 159mm tall. There might be a bit of leeway since that height is measured at the heatpipes at the top of the cooler, but to be safer I'd recommend going with lower profile RAM like this 2x8GB G.Skill Ares 2400MHz kit for $115, the same price as the Ripjaws X yet slightly faster.

The newer Crucial MX200 250GB ($110 outright with free shipping) now seems to be more or less priced nearly the same as the older MX100 256GB ($109). I'd opt for the newer drive.

The Seasonic power supply is good, but $115 is pretty steep. I'd go for an alternative like the EVGA Supernova B2 850 watt model ($70 after $20 rebate), it's made by Super Flower which is one of the best power supply OEMs, right up there next to Seasonic. It's also bronze rated and semi-modular, so you're not missing out on performance or features.

Edit: If not going SLI, then I recommend this XFX XTR Series 650 watt gold rated fully modular PSU ($73 after $25 rebate). All XFX power supplies are rebadged Seasonic designs, so they're quite good.
Had a potential problem with my build. The posts above are what I was going off of. Here's the build I had going on the PC parts list. Help please! D:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wVwZdC

RGM79

I'm thinking about skipping the eVGA 960 and going straight to a 970 for $100 more.

For the life of me, I'm worried about noise and heat in the 304. I've got an after market CPU cooler, and I plan on using all the fans that come with the 304.

Anyone think I should steer away from a 970 in such a small case since I'm not doing watercooling or anything?

Mind..I'm only going to play Star Citizen, Witcher 3, Star Wars Battlefront at 1080p. I'm also using this as my HTPC that will sit under my living room table. Noise and heat are important.

The GTX 970 shouldn't be a problem at all. It's relatively efficient for its graphical power and some models also feature zero fan speed modes when at low temperature like some GTX 960 cards.

That EVGA GTX 970 SC isn't $340, it's $310 after rebate. Or are you including tax to the cost?

what is a good smallish case that I can use for SLI? Currently have a bitfenix prodigy and with my desk I would prefer something a little slimmer and there is space to go taller. I'd like to be able to transplant as much as possible from my current system too - so the new motherboard would need to support an i5-3470k.

Will my current windows install be screwed? it was a shop-bought PC prebuilt so it would be windows 8 OEM with no key.

also what PSU would I need to give me capacity to add another GTX970 for SLI, or even to provide headroom for future higher end cards in SLI (eg HBM based cards)

Want this to be a one-time sidegrade to allow for future expansion.

What are your system specs? How small of a case are you looking for, do you have specific dimensions in mind? You are also changing motherboards?

It should be possible to salvage your current installation and move it over to a new motherboard using a tool like Windows sysprep. However, I'm not sure what kind of prebuilt PC you have. When you say "shop-bought", you mean you bought a custom-built-to-order PC, or a prebuilt from the likes of HP/Dell/etc? The latter might be trickier to work with, you might have to buy a new Windows license instead of reusing the old one and calling Microsoft to reactivate with a new motherboard.

Twin GTX 970 would require about 750 watts for the whole system. Future cards may require more wattage, it's hard to say. I imagine 850 watts should be enough for future SLI setups.

RGM79

dumb question but you don't have to buy from EVGA site to use step up program correct? I was planning on buying through Amazon instead. Also it is likely the TI will come out in the next 3 months?

You can read the terms of the step up program here. You have to buy from the EVGA website. You pay the difference remaining as calculated from the MSRP of the newer graphics card priced by the EVGA store. Not sure if they do sales or rebates, but I doubt they do.

Had a potential problem with my build. The posts above are what I was going off of. Here's the build I had going on the PC parts list. Help please! D:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wVwZdC

What's the problem? The build you linked is missing some parts?

Great thanks. If I can't find my windows install discs am I screwed?

No. You can download Windows 7/8/8.1 and create an install disc or USB drive. What version of Windows do you have?

Am I able to SLI a EVGA GTX 780ti Superclocked with a EVGA GTX 780ti Classified?

Was going to buy another SC but Newegg sold out the day before I planned on buying it. Classified is also selling for $360 right now.

You can run them together, but you might have issues with micro-stutter or instability. Ideally, both cards should be the same model and running at the same speed. You could manually set both cards to the same clock and memory speed, but I can't say for certain that such a setup would be trouble-free as I have no experience with that.

Dartastic

What's the problem? The build you linked is missing some parts?
"The G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory operating voltage of 1.65V exceeds the Intel Haswell Refresh CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum."

Is this an issue?

You can read the terms of the step up program here. You have to buy from the EVGA website. You pay the difference remaining as calculated from the MSRP of the newer graphics card priced by the EVGA store. Not sure if they do sales or rebates, but I doubt they do.

That's a bummer, didn't want to wait for the TI to play witcher 3 because this 680 isn't going to cut it. Guess I'll hold off so I can use my amazon credit, thanks.

A while back there were reports that the GTX 980 was able to max out the Witcher 3. Or were you just more interested in the 980 Ti?

More interested in the TI since it's suppose to come with 6gb which should help when I also upgrade to 1440p

RGM79

"The G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory operating voltage of 1.65V exceeds the Intel Haswell Refresh CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum."

Is this an issue?

Nope, it's still compatible. Normally RAM operates at 1.5V, all RAM above 1333/1600MHz is technically overclocked and most above 1866MHz require higher voltages to reach higher speeds. While technically out of spec, it is safe to run, it just means the RAM temperature will be a few degrees higher. See this Puget Systems test for specific details. They test 1.65V RAM against low voltage 1.25V and 1.35V RAM.

At most, there is a 5 degree difference between the 1.65V RAM and the 1.25/1.35V RAM. Normal RAM operates at 1.5V, and should be somewhere in between in terms of temperatures. Therefore, I think it's safe to say that 1.65V RAM compared to 1.5V RAM is maybe 2~3 degrees warmer at the most and isn't a big deal as long as your case has adequate airflow.

That's a bummer, didn't want to wait for the TI to play witcher 3 because this 680 isn't going to cut it. Guess I'll hold off so I can use my amazon credit, thanks.

A while back there were reports that the GTX 980 was able to max out the Witcher 3. Or were you just more interested in the 980 Ti?

Vitor711

Below is my final build- any comments before I start ordering stuff tonight?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($82.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($516.49 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1224.39
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-12 01:24 EDT-0400

AJLma

I'm running a Water-Cooled 5820k and a mildly overclocked Titan X on a 650W PSU, this one to be exact. Do you guys think I'm also safe to start overclocking the CPU? Or is that cutting it too close?

I'm running a Water-Cooled 5820k and a mildly overclocked Titan X on a 650W PSU, this one to be exact. Do you guys think I'm also safe to start overclocking the CPU? Or is that cutting it too close?

I would say so. If your PSU was a quality one (EVGA G2, Seasonic and Gold rated) it would probably be fine, but in all honesty you should have a better PSU anyway if you have a Titan X and 5820K.

BTW I have the same processor and an 850W EVGA G2. Haswell-E overclocks like a treat, 4.5Ghz on air but I have a weak GPU as that isn't my priority just yet :)

Dartastic

Nope, it's still compatible. Normally RAM operates at 1.5V, all RAM above 1333/1600MHz is technically overclocked and most above 1866MHz require higher voltages to reach higher speeds. While technically out of spec, it is safe to run, it just means the RAM temperature will be a few degrees higher. See this Puget Systems test for specific details. They test 1.65V RAM against low voltage 1.25V and 1.35V RAM.

At most, there is a 5 degree difference between the 1.65V RAM and the 1.25/1.35V RAM. Normal RAM operates at 1.5V, and should be somewhere in between in terms of temperatures. Therefore, I think it's safe to say that 1.65V RAM compared to 1.5V RAM is maybe 2~3 degrees warmer at the most and isn't a big deal as long as your case has adequate airflow.
Awesome. Thanks for the help! I was going to place an order for the rest of the parts tonight. Sad my processor went up in price though. =(

LilJoka

I run my 970 overclocked with all case fans set to medium (7volts) including the CPU fan (Hyper 212, now Venomous X). I can run most games at 60fps at below 65*c and GTA V runs 50% passively (59-64c). You must take care with cable management. See my rig on pg150 of this thread.

I think if neither my CPU or GPU were overclocked i could run the case fans at 5v.

The case has a 5/7/12v fan controller at the rear.

Its about 400W peak power consumption for the system at stock settings. So you have 150W to play with atleast with overclocks. Shouldnt be an issue. TX650 was a solid PSU.

jDy9bPq.png

My friend gave me a budget of $800 (Canadian), and I built this for him. How did I do?

Note: The RAM is running in dual channel, Speccy is being weird. The GPU is a 290.

LilJoka

jDy9bPq.png

My friend gave me a budget of $800 (Canadian), and I built this for him. How did I do?

Note: The RAM is running in dual channel, Speccy is being weird. The GPU is a 290.

What GPU? Z series board, non-K CPU? CAS 10 1600MHz Ram?

I'VE NOW OFFICIALLY BOUGHT EVERYTHING. NOW TO JUST WAIT FOR IT TO ARRIVE. ...and for me to send back my case and get my new one. -.-

HERE IS MY BUILD. HOW DOES IT LOOK GAF?!?!?!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yB9pnQ

You are looking to SLI a GTX 970 with 3.5GB VRAM issue?
At that price for a PSU, i would have bought a Gold certified PSU. Otherwise its fine.

You have bought 1.65v RAM, you may want to run slower than 2400Mhz and use 1.5v maximum. Itll probably do 1866Mhz CL10 1.5v.

What GPU? Z series board, non-K CPU? CAS 10 1600MHz Ram?

At that price for a PSU, i would have bought a Gold certified PSU. Otherwise its fine.

You have bought 1.65v RAM, you may want to run slower than 2400Mhz and use 1.5v maximum. Itll probably do 1866Mhz CL10 1.5v.

Like I said in my post, it's a 290. Non-K because he didn't want to wait for shipping so we picked that one up locally, last part he needed.

kidko

Still so bummed by 970 issues, but the 980 is too expensive for me.

can we expect a price drop on the current 980 after the Ti comes out?

LilJoka

What 970 issues are you experiencing?

Like I said in my post, it's a 290. Non-K because he didn't want to wait for shipping so we picked that one up locally, last part he needed.

Thats pretty good with a R9 290, would like to see the full specs and prices if you can.

x3sphere

If the 980 Ti is a full GM200 chip and priced @ $699 like the 780 Ti then definitely

My guess is it'll drop to $400-450, if that happens.

Thats pretty good with a R9 290, would like to see the full specs and prices if you can.

I'll try to get the receipts from him since it was ultimately his debit card :p

This makes me want to cry a little bit.

He grew up really, really poor and finally has a stable full time job and can afford some luxuries. He's been talking about building a PC for years. He just couldn't wait!

Dartastic

I'm not planning on going SLI anytime soon. Also, a few posts above me said that using this RAM should be fine. The link that they provided seem to support that. Is that incorrect?

LilJoka

I'm not planning on going SLI anytime soon. Also, a few posts above me said that using this RAM should be fine. Is that incorrect?

There will never be any justification from Intel to state that its safe as the chips are rated for 1.5v memory. So there could be some degradation over many years, my guess is that it would be a long time 5-10 years if used normally and not a 24/7 100% load machine. But generally its advised to buy 1.5v Ram for that uncertainty to be ruled out. The kit is very cheap so it makes sense to purcahse. I would just run it at 1.5v and slower speeds. 2400Mhz will make no difference over 1866Mhz when gaming.

mkenyon

Banned
I'm not planning on going SLI anytime soon. Also, a few posts above me said that using this RAM should be fine. The link that they provided seem to support that. Is that incorrect?
Just run it a bit slower at a lower voltage. This means do not use XMP for the memory in the BIOS settings.

Also, Go Timbers.

RGM79

That was me. Liljoka and Mkenyon are expressing long term concerns about system longevity and heat, which is a valid point. High speed RAM rated at 1.65V can always be scaled back down to run at slightly lower speeds and 1.5V as a way to keep the system running slightly cooler and for a couple years longer, but by the time it becomes a concern, you might be looking at a new PC anyway and DDR4 will be standard. I just like to recommend high speed RAM if it's at a good price. It's easier to set high speed RAM to run at lower speeds than the opposite.

I also recommended a 650 watt gold power supply, I wonder why you went with the expensive $115 bronze power supply? I mean, it's your choice, but quality bronze modular 850 watt power supplies can be had for around $30~40 cheaper. The build won't use anywhere near 850 watts if you don't plan to go for SLI, though.

Dartastic

There will never be any justification from Intel to state that its safe as the chips are rated for 1.5v memory. So there could be some degradation over many years, my guess is that it would be a long time 5-10 years if used normally and not a 24/7 100% load machine. But generally its advised to buy 1.5v Ram for that uncertainty to be ruled out. The kit is very cheap so it makes sense to purcahse. I would just run it at 1.5v and slower speeds. 2400Mhz will make no difference over 1866Mhz when gaming.

Just run it a bit slower at a lower voltage. This means do not use XMP for the memory in the BIOS settings.

Also, Go Timbers.
Good to know. Thanks guys. Also, HECK YEAH GO TIMBERS. I don't suppose you go to the games, do you? I live in Portland and had the ridiculous luck of somehow managing to get a season ticket this year.
That was me. I also recommended a 650 watt gold power supply, I wonder why you went with the expensive $115 bronze power supply? I mean, it's your choice, but quality bronze modular 850 watt power supplies can be had for around $30~40 cheaper.
I went with the more "expensive" one because I bought it a week ago for $90 as opposed to the $115 that is currently displayed, plus there was a mail in rebate for 10 bucks. It was a good deal. I also wanted to future proof myself a bit with it.

RGM79

I went with the more "expensive" one because I bought it a week ago for $90 as opposed to the $115 that is currently displayed, plus there was a mail in rebate for 10 bucks. It was a good deal. I also wanted to future proof myself a bit with it.

Oh, I see, I hadn't realized you already bought it, I must have missed that.

mkenyon

Banned
Good to know. Thanks guys. Also, HECK YEAH GO TIMBERS. I don't suppose you go to the games, do you? I live in Portland and had the ridiculous luck of somehow managing to get a season ticket this year.
I only go to one or two games a year unfortunately. My wife and I are originally from Vancouver/Portland, but now am in Olympia. She used to practice at what was then PGE Park though, and we even used to go to the USL Timbers games.

Dartastic

I only go to one or two games a year unfortunately. My wife and I are originally from Vancouver/Portland, but now am in Olympia. She used to practice at what was then PGE Park though, and we even used to go to the USL Timbers games.
When I first moved to Portland in 2006 I lived across the street from PGE park in those giant peach colored apartments. Went to a few USL games as well. Crazy how big soccer has gotten in this city. Anyway.

kidko

Oh, I'm just totally turned off to it because of the 3.5 crap. I've done some research and I know that it's mostly fine but I'm the type who holds onto cards for a really long time and the 3.5 deal just sounds like a longevity killer IMO.

If the 980 Ti is a full GM200 chip and priced @ $699 like the 780 Ti then definitely

My guess is it'll drop to $400-450, if that happens.

I hope you are right, $400 sounds great for that card.

spinz

hmm so iv got my define r5 case, and z97-a motherboard, and im having trouble locating any standoffs or screws. One standoff is pre-installed into the case in the middle. But im not seeing any others. Any ideas??

Vitor711

Uh guys, there are two 980s for $549.99 on Amazon. One is the ACX 2.0 with lower clock speeds and the other is the SC edition with higher base clocks.

Which one should I get? There's only 4 left of the former.

RGM79

hmm so iv got my define r5 case, and z97-a motherboard, and im having trouble locating any standoffs or screws. One standoff is pre-installed into the case in the middle. But im not seeing any others. Any ideas??
Are you sure you didn't misplace the accessories?

Fractal_Design_Define_R5_2.jpg

Uh guys, there are two 980s for $549.99 on Amazon. One is the ACX 2.0 with lower clock speeds and the other is the SC edition with higher base clocks.

Which one should I get? There's only 4 left of the former.

I don't see any reason why you should go for the slower one.

Vitor711

I don't see any reason why you should go for the slower one.

Thanks, I had assumed that maybe the former would potentially allow for higher overclocking or something.

EDIT: Guessing this isn't a problem either?

RGM79

Thanks, I had assumed that maybe the former would potentially allow for higher overclocking or something.
Wait, I just looked and apparently the Superclocked model you're talking about is the blower cooler model. I thought both of the cards you were talking about were the twin fan cooler models. Hmm, it's up to you to decide, then.

The open style twin fan ACX2.0 cooler is quieter than the blower cooler and should do a better job of lower the GPU's temperatures. On the other hand, while the blower cooler is somewhat less effective at cooling the card itself, it does not contribute to the inside temperature of the case because the blower takes in air from the case and exhausts it out of the end of the card that faces outside.

You're right, I also think the twin fan ACX2.0 cooler would be more acceptable for overclocking. If you don't mind tweaking it yourself, you should be able to overclock it to match or even outdo the blower type SC's factory overclock speed. There are higher overclocked models that use the same or similar twin fan cooler such as the FTW and SC twin fan models.

We just had a small discussion about that on the last page (268), actually. Refer to the posts by Liljoka, Mkenyon, and myself about RAM voltage. Not an issue unless you prefer slightly lower case temperatures and want your parts to last longer than 5 years.

Dartastic

I literally asked the same question a few posts ago. :p

Vitor711

Wait, I just looked and apparently the Superclocked model you're talking about is the blower cooler model. Hmm, it's up to you to decide, then.

The open style twin fan ACX2.0 cooler is quieter than the blower cooler and should do a better job of lower the GPU's temperatures. On the other hand, while the blower cooler is somewhat less effective at cooling the card itself, it does not contribute to the inside temperature of the case because the blower takes in air from the case and exhausts it out of the end of the card that faces outside.

You're right, I also think the twin fan ACX2.0 cooler would be more acceptable for overclocking. If you don't mind tweaking it yourself, you should be able to overclock it to match or even outdo the blower type SC's factory overclock speed. There are higher overclocked models that use the same or similar twin fan cooler such as the FTW and SC twin fan models.

So I was right. Appreciate the help! Now I see why the ACX 2.0 is in higher demand. Guess I'll go for that.

Also, your Google-fu is clearly better than mine. I couldn't get any solid info despite trying for about 15 minutes.

I literally asked the same question a few posts ago. :p

Totally missed that! Get an answer already or still waiting?

Did you check the drive bays? There's usually a box in it containing the screws

spinz

thanks! the box of screws was inside one of the drive cages.

Im now at my wits end with another issue... its gotta be the simplest thing and its driving me insane. I cannot get the I/O shield of my z97-a to stick... its got lots of jagged pieces too and is easy to get cut on. I push from the inside out... iv tried pushing with a screwdriver... it just will not fit into it, it just goes out the other side.......

Did you check the drive bays? There's usually a box in it containing the screws

yep! i just found that :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom