• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGM79

Im now at my wits end with another issue... its gotta be the simplest thing and its driving me insane. I cannot get the I/O shield of my z97-a to stick... its got lots of jagged pieces too and is easy to get cut on. I push from the inside out... iv tried pushing with a screwdriver... it just will not fit into it, it just goes out the other side.......

Good to hear you found the screws. What do you mean "goes out the other side"? The plate is larger than the hole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4DoKZTGk3g

RGM79

i guess not this one... this plate goes right through the hole if it goes at an angle at all.

The plate is designed to fit into the rectangular hole by tension, the edges are bent in a way to push outward. I'm not really sure how else to explain it.

spinz

The plate is designed to fit into the rectangular hole by tension, the edges are bent in a way to push outward. I'm not really sure how else to explain it.

yeah it seems like it should be the simplest thing ever.. and every video i look at is very straightforward...... and im either missing something obvious or my plate is bent or something....

KTT

A friend of mine (40 year old woman) wants a tablet that can do word processing and has a keyboard... she also wants to listen to music and watch movies.

Can anyone in this thread help? I'm tech-savvy (undergrad in Computer Engineering) but I've never been in the market for a tablet so I don't know what to recommend for her to order. I told her that she can probably spend less than $200. I kind of had an unbranded tablet in mind and I could load Windows 8.1 on it for free (student perks).

Please, PCGAF... help out your brother!

Vitor711

So here's my build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($81.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($539.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1219.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-12 22:51 EDT-0400

Only, the power supply isn't available right now. Anyone got any ideas for a replacement? I'd like this to arrive before TW3 launches on Tuesday so the need for something more timely is there. The EVGA one won't be restocked for another week or so.

RGM79

A friend of mine (40 year old woman) wants a tablet that can do word processing and has a keyboard... she also wants to listen to music and watch movies.

Can anyone in this thread help? I'm tech-savvy (undergrad in Computer Engineering) but I've never been in the market for a tablet so I don't know what to recommend for her to order. I told her that she can probably spend less than $200. I kind of had an unbranded tablet in mind and I could load Windows 8.1 on it for free (student perks).

Please, PCGAF... help out your brother!

As far as I know, it's not possible to buy a custom tablet without Windows. Your options are limited to those Chinese Windows Tablets like an Onda or a Teclast, or American options like the Dell and HP Windows tablets which cost a bit more but won't require you to set English UI.

Depending on the size, it may cost more than $200. The Chinese-made tablets are cheaper in cost for their size, though. Specs are largely the same, you should be looking for tablets with Intel Z35xx model processors.

RGM79

So here's my build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($81.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($539.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1219.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-12 22:51 EDT-0400

Only, the power supply isn't available right now. Anyone got any ideas for a replacement? I'd like this to arrive before TW3 launches on Tuesday so the need for something more timely is there. The EVGA one won't be restocked for another week or so.

Odd, when I checked it a few minutes ago, it said it was available in low quantities and would ship within 1-2 days from their warehouse. Hmm, since you won't be doing SLI, how about a gold 650 watt modular PSU?

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1650bbefx

Vitor711

Odd, when I checked it a few minutes ago, it said it was available in low quantities and would ship within 1-2 days from their warehouse. Hmm, since you won't be doing SLI, how about a gold 650 watt modular PSU?

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1650bbefx

Might be due to the region - I'm in NYC. Maybe?

I just got the same power supply from Newegg. $10 more but I got a trial for their premium program so I get 3 business day shipping for free.

Darknight

Got a quicke Q for you guys. I managed to get hold of a cheap i7 4770K CPU but I have an i5 2500K in my main rig. I dont OC or dont really plan to. Managed to get it in a nice deal. Anyways, do I sell off my i5 and keep the i7 for future "proofing" or just stick with my i5 and sell of the i7?

I heard that this maxwell chip heats up more when you OC and need water cooling to keep temps low. Overall though, its a small improvement over the i5. The only sucky thing is that my i5 probably wont sell for too much.

Only thing I would need is a cheap z87 motherboard. If anyone is selling one, me know.

spinz

ok it wasnt pretty, but i got the i/o shield to stick :p
Now another probably dumb crisis.... iv got a r9 290.. its ports are twice the size of the other pci windows... am i going to have to modify the define to get that card to fit 2 slots? am i missing something obvious again? It fits in the pci... it fits length wise.... i just dont see a way for its outputs to fit.

MetalDeer

ok it wasnt pretty, but i got the i/o shield to stick :p
Now another probably dumb crisis.... iv got a r9 290.. its ports are twice the size of the other pci windows... am i going to have to modify the define to get that card to fit 2 slots? am i missing something obvious again? It fits in the pci... it fits length wise.... i just dont see a way for its outputs to fit.

Just remove 2 of the expansion slot shields from the back of the case. At least I believe that's what you're talking about. They should be the white things with thumbscrews attaching them to the back of the case on the Define R5

spinz

Just remove 2 of the expansion slot shields from the back of the case. At least I believe that's what you're talking about. They should be the white things with thumbscrews attaching them to the back of the case on the Define R5

yeah thats what im talking about. Theres a black metal strip between each of the slots though... will it fit over it?

RGM79

Got a quicke Q for you guys. I managed to get hold of a cheap i7 4770K CPU but I have an i5 2500K in my main rig. I dont OC or dont really plan to. Managed to get it in a nice deal. Anyways, do I sell off my i5 and keep the i7 for future "proofing" or just stick with my i5 and sell of the i7?

I heard that this maxwell chip heats up more when you OC and need water cooling to keep temps low. Overall though, its a small improvement over the i5. The only sucky thing is that my i5 probably wont sell for too much.

Only thing I would need is a cheap z87 motherboard. If anyone is selling one, me know.

Water cooling isn't really needed, air cooling is fine if you won't be overclocking. If you do go with the 4770K, then you can use both Z87 and Z97 motherboards if you want to keep your options open for overclocking. Otherwise if you won't be overclocking for sure, then any socket 1150 motherboard will work, including cheaper sub-$50 B85 and H81 motherboards.

yeah thats what im talking about. Theres a black metal strip between each of the slots though... will it fit over it?

You don't need to worry about that. You're not supposed to remove that.

eight_expansion_slots-copy-big.jpg

The good news: It's up and running. Everything looks and sound great as far as it being operational.

The bad news: I wasn't able to move the modem from the living room to the office. Likely will have to get a hold of the provider (Charter) and see what the issue is.

So no internet to the PC, and thus no more progress until I can get that all set up.

Edit: Or should I just get a wireless solution via Powerline? Never had to set up a wireless connection to a desktop before as I always had a physical connection with the modem and router right there.

RGM79

The good news: It's up and running. Everything looks and sound great as far as it being operational.

The bad news: I wasn't able to move the modem from the living room to the office. Likely will have to get a hold of the provider (Charter) and see what the issue is.

So no internet to the PC, and thus no more progress until I can get that all set up.

Edit: Or should I just get a wireless solution via Powerline? Never had to set up a wireless connection to a desktop before as I always had a physical connection with the modem and router right there.

Charter offers cable internet, right? When the service was installed, the tech installer guy probably only wired that coaxial wall outlet for internet. Not every coaxial outlet has internet, just the ones that the installer wired up.

Powerline ethernet in my experience is very nice, but I live in a house that's just over ten years old. They say older houses or houses with poor wiring won't play well with powerline networking. How's the wifi reception in your house between the two rooms?

Charter offers cable internet, right? When the service was installed, the tech installer guy probably only wired that coaxial wall outlet for internet. Not every coaxial outlet has internet, just the ones that the installer wired up.

Powerline ethernet in my experience is very nice, but I live in a house that's just over ten years old. They say older houses or houses with poor wiring won't play well with powerline networking. How's the wifi reception in your house between the two rooms?

House is only 8 years old iirc and wifi seems ok in this room as it's the first one down the hall. The wifi issues that do happen and that deteriorate just another room over might be more due to the year+ old Belkin N600 than the house.

cyborg009

Banned
Hey guys so I want a new a PC but I don't want to break the bank too much at the moment since I'm still in college. I want to say I have a budget around $500 but if could spend less and upgrade later that would be great. I'm planning on using it make programs for class and mess around with game engines like Unity and unreal. I'm pretty sure I won't using it for gaming until I upgrade it again.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

edit: also if someone can tell me a good 1080p monitor that would be great.

RGM79

House is only 8 years old iirc and wifi seems ok in this room as it's the first one down the hall. The wifi issues that do happen and that deteriorate just another room over might be more due to the year+ old Belkin N600 than the house.

Then it's up to you. If you play games and value a stable connection, maybe powerline would be preferable. Otherwise a wifi adaptor will do the job. The difference in cost depends on which model you buy, but powerline adaptors kits start at a bit less than $40 while a higher end wifi adaptor will run about that much but lower end models can be cheaper.

Hey guys so I want a new a PC but I don't want to break the bank too much at the moment since I'm still in college. I want to say I have a budget around $500 but if could spend less and upgrade later that would be great. I'm planning on using it make programs for class and mess around with game engines like Unity and unreal.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

edit: also if someone can tell me a good 1080p monitor that would be great.

Does the $500 budget include the monitor? What are your old PC's specs?

Vitor711

So I've ordered all the parts but I just realised that there isn't an ethernet port in my room.

Does the MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard include a wifi receiver or do I need to buy another component?

Sorry for the complete noob question, but I've never built a PC before and just went by the part list people were kind enough to edit for me.

RGM79

So I've ordered all the parts but I just realised that there isn't an ethernet port in my room.

Does the MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard include a wifi receiver or do I need to buy another component?

Sorry for the complete noob question, but I've never built a PC before and just went by the part list people were kind enough to edit for me.

You will need a wifi adaptor. What router do you have?

cyborg009

Banned
Then it's up to you. If you play games and value a stable connection, maybe powerline would be preferable. Otherwise a wifi adaptor will do the job. The difference in cost depends on which model you buy, but powerline adaptors kits start at a bit less than $40 while a higher end wifi adaptor will run about that much but lower end models can be cheaper.

Does the $500 budget include the monitor? What are your old PC's specs?

Yep! and I have been using a laptop for the past few years and its falling apart(literally).

Gateway 64bit
Processor: AMD Athlon II P320 Dual-Core processor 2.10 ghz
4gb of ram
500gb hard drive

RGM79

Yep! and I have been using a laptop for the past few years and its falling apart(literally).

Gateway 64bit
Processor: AMD Athlon II P320 Dual-Core processor 2.10 ghz
4gb of ram
500gb hard drive
I was hoping that you had an old desktop you could reuse parts from to bring down the cost. It's going to be hard to get you a decent tower and monitor for $500. Does that also include keyboard and mouse? Operating system?

RGM79

I got a new one free with our move to RCN (fuck Time Warner) - it's 5G compatible but that's all I know. I'll have a look tomorrow for the exact make.

I think that's enough information to go off of. I looked it up and the ISP's website mentions wireless N.

My usual recommendation is this Gigabyte wifi adaptor (~$30) which is a bit fancy, but it supports wireless N/AC, has bluetooth, and comes with an antenna on a wire so you can place it in a different spot for better reception. Handy if your PC is going to be put on the floor.

A cheaper recommendation would be this Rosewill N300 adaptor ($17). It's simpler but should get the job done. Hundreds of positive reviews. The antennas seem larger than competing similarly priced Asus and TP-Link models.

Hey folks.

The build I have is similar to this, http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/dFRjHx, with a i5 instead of an i7. Thinking of jumping from 8GB to 16GB of ram.

I've come across Corsair 16GB (2 x 8GB) Vengeance Pro 2400MHz for €143.
Does that sound work it?

Also what do people tend to do with the ram they take out? I'll have 8GB just sitting there.

RGM79

Hey folks.

The build I have is similar to this, http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/dFRjHx, with a i5 instead of an i7. Thinking of jumping from 8GB to 16GB of ram.

I've come across Corsair 16GB (2 x 8GB) Vengeance Pro 2400MHz for €143.
Does that sound work it?

Also what do people tend to do with the ram they take out? I'll have 8GB just sitting there.

What country are you in? It's probably much cheaper to add another 8GB instead of replacing it with 16GB of higher speed RAM. You would be paying 150 Euros for a small increase in performance, likely no more than maybe 10% improvement in the areas that RAM speed matters.

I'm going to repeat some things I said not too long ago about higher speed RAM (slightly changed):

RAM speed doesn't affect a lot of games to be honest (especially if you're not using integrated graphics), and situations that rely on RAM speed are few and far between. See Anandtech's report on RAM speed with Haswell processors for an in-depth study. Some games might see a small benefit, but most won't.

When buying parts for a new PC, it's easy to recommend higher speed RAM (1866/2133/2400MHz) since it doesn't cost a lot more than 1333/1600MHz especially if on sale, but it's harder to justify replacing existing RAM with faster RAM rather than just adding to the RAM you already have. If you were also increasing the amount of memory you had, then that's a bit more justifiable, but it'd still be cheaper to buy 1333MHz to add up rather than replacing your existing low capacity RAM with higher capacity and higher speed RAM.

Additional links with test results of RAM speed on gaming:
pcGameware.co.uk - Battlefield 4 Does not need high speed RAM unless…
The Tech Buyer's Guru - Does RAM Speed Matter? DDR3-1600 vs. 1866, 2133, and 2400 in Games (Page 3)
bit-tech.net - Battlefield 4 Memory Performance

What country are you in? It's probably much cheaper to add another 8GB instead of replacing it with 16GB of higher speed RAM. You would be paying 150 Euros for a small increase in performance, likely no more than maybe 10% improvement in the areas that RAM speed matters.

I'm going to repeat some things I said not too long ago about higher speed RAM (slightly changed):
Thanks.

I'm in Ireland. I'll double check how many ram slots I have, I thought I only had two, but I might be thinking of a previous motherboard.

Edit: Yeah, I have 4 slots, you're right. That's almost surely a lot smarter and cheaper, thanks.

RGM79

Does anyone have thoughts on this monitor?

Looking to replace my old monitor and this might satisfy the need for now.
Can't find any professional reviews, but $120 after coupon code seems like a very nice price. There are three negative reviews, the issues being the backlight being too bright and the monitor having somewhat poor contrast. One of those reviewers reporting being able to find a program to manually control the monitor backlight, but did not say what program he used.

Can't find any professional reviews, but $120 after coupon code seems like a very nice price. There are three negative reviews, the issues being the backlight being too bright and the monitor having somewhat poor contrast. One of those reviewers reporting being able to find a program to manually control the monitor backlight, but did not say what program he used.

Thanks, figured I'd ask since I couldn't find any professional reviews.

Shouldn't be a big deal since I can always RMA any defective models.

Dries

So, PC-GAF, maybe a stupid question, but I was wondering about the following:

If a game runs at 60 fps with a resolution of 1920 x 1080, how many fps will the same game run at 2560 x 1440? Is it like this:

1440p = 1080p x 1,3333, so I can assume this: 60 fps x 0,6666 = 40 fps.

or?

1080p = 2073600 pixels
1440p = 3686400 pixels

2073600 / 3686400 = 0,5625, so: 60 x 0,5625 = 33.75 fps

Am I right with one of these calculations? And why is one or the other wrong?

Rufus

It doesn't work quite like that, no. The size of a frame/the amount of raw pixels being drawn isn't the only thing being calculated at any time.

Dries

It doesn't work quite like that, no. The size of a frame/the amount of raw pixels being drawn isn't the only thing being calculated at any time.

So actually, you can't calculate it all, you're saying? At least, not in a linear sense like I tried to do.

So actually, you can't calculate it all, you're saying? At least, not in a linear sense like I tried to do.

Well, if you stripped out all of the other things, only resolution remains. Then the 2nd calculation is correct.

Edit: I didn't even look at how you calculate it past the pixel counting.

On phone so basically like this:

1440p has around 1.7 times the pixels of 1080p.

So basically it will take the 1.7 times more to draw a screen.

At 60fps, frametime is about 1.66. 1.7*1.66 is around 2.95.

So in a second, it can draw around 20 frames.

quesalupa

Hey guys so I have a brand new pc, no OS installed on it. I intend to use it with my TV so I don't own a vga or dvi monitor. PC is turning on fine but the only problem is that a picture doesn't want to show up. The TV seems to detect that there's an HDMI as it won't let me switch over to outputs with nothing in them but it is letting me switch to this HDMI. When I switch over, however, it says no signal. Anybody know a usual workaround to this or should I just use my friend's monitor to set everything up?

mintyice

Hey guys so I have a brand new pc, no OS installed on it. I intend to use it with my TV so I don't own a vga or dvi monitor. PC is turning on fine but the only problem is that a picture doesn't want to show up. The TV seems to detect that there's an HDMI as it won't let me switch over to outputs with nothing in them but it is letting me switch to this HDMI. When I switch over, however, it says no signal. Anybody know a usual workaround to this or should I just use my friend's monitor to set everything up?

Are you going through a video card or integrated graphics?

You might want to check your bios and make sure you're on PGE (for graphics card) or IGD (integrated from mobo).

cyborg009

Banned
I was hoping that you had an old desktop you could reuse parts from to bring down the cost. It's going to be hard to get you a decent tower and monitor for $500. Does that also include keyboard and mouse? Operating system?
I have a pretty nice mouse I got from that razer sale and my school proves free windows 8.1 OS. The old keyboards I have use ps/2 ports. I'll just buy a used keyboard off of Ebay.

mkenyon

Banned
Is there a post with some builds suggested for emulation?
What emulators in specific?

I'd probably recommend this though, which does not have current prices on hardware. You can also go for some other parts to make the system smaller if you want, at a slight increase to price:

jNFdjRy.png

That Pentium can be overclocked to 4.5ish GHz which will help massively with performance in Dolphin and the PS2 emulator. It's two cores, which is all you need.

Last try. I have everything i need for my PC except the GPU. Does anyone know when the GTX 750 TI is likely to go on sale? Feels like I've been waiting forever but I haven't seen one pop up on slickdeals.

mkenyon

Banned
HMMM. Would be a huge upgrade from my 1080p/60. Think I'll wait for a sale.

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-XG270HU-omidpx-FREESYNC-Widescreen/dp/B00VRCLHYS
I wouldn't expect that to be discounted too much in the next few years. Maybe $50 off at most.
Last try. I have everything i need for my PC except the GPU. Does anyone know when the GTX 750 TI is likely to go on sale? Feels like I've been waiting forever but I haven't seen one pop up on slickdeals.
There's no real rhyme or reason to random GPU sale prices. You're asking people to look into a crystal ball, basically. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom