• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Hmm having trouble figuring out how to mount this fan. Iv got 140 mm noctua, trying to mount it to the bottom of an r5 define. I see 4 long holes, not sure how it fits in them.. Iv got screws and rubber pieces it came wiyh.. but manual and Google aren't making sense on how to put it in, hmm. Any thoughts?
EDIT: now that I think about it... do I even have to mount it? It's on the bottom and snug between the power supply and cages.
Black = Fan
Red = Case
Green = Screw

lNzrI9c.png

RGM79

Eh, it's an extra $15 and I have enough WiFi issues that I'd rather spend a bit more and know that the adapter isn't adding to them.

So, Amazon and Newegg actually ended up being the cheapest places for most of those items (outside of a $5 increase for the CPU). It's just one or two (the case) where I decided I'd be happy with convenience over having to make a 1hr20min return trip to Brooklyn to pick something up in person.

I was expecting to pay around $1200/1300 anyway so it's within budget - especially if my 980m equipped 6 -month old laptop sells for as much as it should on ebay. I won't be out of pocket.

Appreciate the offer though! Probably should have waited and had you check things but I also wanted to ensure that all the parts arrived before Tuesday (Witcher release day). Impatience has a cost! Basically, I needed to abuse Amazon Prime (created new e-mail account to make use of the free trial) and get that free two-day shipping. Did the same for Newegg and their premium stuff.

Ah, that sounds like it was pretty decent, then.

Hey PCGaf, what's the general consensus on the Corsair AXi PSU? I ask because I'm really interested in the monitoring software they have but I'm not really well versed on PSUs

High quality but I don't think I've ever seen them at a very low price. Monitoring software isn't really that useful outside of maybe a few specific circumstances. I don't think there are any other companies that offer similar USB-enabled monitoring for their power supplies.

If you want the feature, that's fine. Just be aware that there are usually other power supplies available for better costs and the same quality, but without the monitoring aspect.

Hmm, the last think I am missing for the new office PC is a motherboard.

I have a 3258, the stock cooler, an SSD for OS and regular drive for storage, 8GB of RAM, Corsair 450 modular power supply, a case and all the other bits.

Any suggestions for a solid motherboard? I don't need anything too fancy. Worth going near $100 for a Z series to overclock, on an office/youtube machine?

I have access to Microcenter if they have great deals. I can even return the 3258 and buy a bundle from them if they have something going on. I can never find them on their site.

Here's their list of processor and motherboard bundles. I've also heard that Microcenter will knock $20 off any purchase of a CPU and motherboard, even those not on that list, although I am not entirely sure about that.

The G3258 should be just fine for youtube and office work. My G3258 overclocked to 4.7GHz with a B85 motherboard even works adequately for gaming (CSGO, GTAV, WoT, etc), but I would recommend a cheap Z97 motherboard if you wanted to overclock.

The ASRock Z97 Anniversary ($73 after rebate) was designed to go with the G3258 as a cheap overclockable motherboard.

Hmm thanks, I think that has me in the right direction.. but the screws are sort of.. spiraled, and the only holes I see in the fan are smooth and fit the silicone sound dampeners.

That's normal. The screws are supposed to cut into the interior of the fan's plastic holes.

Is there anything I should do before I install my GTX 970? I bit on the EVGA SC ACX 2.0 one that came with The Witcher and Arkham Knight.

Also what res do you guys think I can hit while keeping 60 frames?

mkenyon

Banned
Is there anything I should do before I install my GTX 970? I bit on the EVGA SC ACX 2.0 one that came with The Witcher and Arkham Knight.

Per anything to do before installation of new card: What GPU do you currently have?

Per frame rate: What CPU do you currently have? Depends a lot on the various settings, but 1080p should be fine. 1440p if you turn down stuff.

Per anything to do before installation of new card: What GPU do you currently have?

Per frame rate: What CPU do you currently have? Depends a lot on the various settings, but 1080p should be fine. 1440p if you turn down stuff.

At the moment I'm running a GTX 660ti and my CPUs an i5-3570k

RGM79

If you got the GTX 970 bundle that included the free backplate, install that on the card first. If you previously had an AMD graphics card, you could run Display Driver Uninstaller to thoroughly remove all traces of old drivers.

Whether you can hit 60FPS depends on the rest of your specs. That said, you should just play at whatever the native resolution of your monitor is. Crank down graphics quality before the resolution.

Edit: yeah, your i5 3570K is more than capable.

spinz

Ok I need another hint...
I cant seem to find any sata data cables for my harddrive.. Iv got the power sata.. but not the smaller ones for the mothervoard. What would they be package with typically or do I have to buy some separate??

mkenyon

Banned
Ok I need another hint...
I cant seem to find any sata data cables for my harddrive.. Iv got the power sata.. but not the smaller ones for the mothervoard. What would they be package with typically or do I have to buy some separate??
They come bundled with motherboards. Should be 3+ in there.

Wensih

Crossfire and SLI is generally not recommended around here as not all games work with multiple graphics cards and not all will scale well in terms of performance. I actually had twin Gigabyte R9 270X cards for a bit less than a year and while it did work very well with the games that supported crossfire, I was disappointed that some games simply don't use more than one GPU. Of course, that is my own experience and not necessarily how it'll be for you. Aside from the Witcher 3, you should do a bit of research and see how well crossfire is supported by the games you intend to play.

That said, 500 watts isn't enough for R9 280 crossfire, an 700~800 watt or greater power supply is recommended. In the future you would need to factor in the cost of a new higher quality power supply. Also, you can't crossfire that R9 280 you had in your list with an R9 270X either. The general rule of thumb for running multiple GPUs is that you want to have the exact same model of card.

It's definitely true that a crossfire setup can result in much better performance for the money over a single stronger card, but it also comes with its own issues like higher wattage requirements, potential graphics glitches (flickering textures are common issues for games that don't support multiple GPUs well but can be fixed with new drivers), and extra heat (extra card generates heat, overheating will depend on your case's airflow and fan setup). For overall stability and "ease of use" we tend to recommend single graphics cards whenever possible, and crossfire and SLI only for setups where money isn't an issue and/or the person wants high quality and framerate at high resolution (4K, etc) where even the strongest single graphics cards like the Titan X won't be enough.

It is possible to get a cheap ATX motherboard, it will cost a little bit more than mATX. I only recommend mATX for your full ATX build because it cost the least money and you have a low budget. For example, this ATX size ASRock B85 Anniversary motherboard costs $60. That would be one of the cheapest ones I could recommend.

However, you seem to be mistaken about PC cooling. The processor and graphics cards are the largest contributors to PC heat, the motherboard itself will not overheat unless you are doing extreme overclocking which you stated you would not be doing at all. The size of the motherboard has nothing to do with heat radiation and the board itself does not act as a radiator/conductor for heat. The one part of a motherboard that does heat up would be the motherboard MOSFETs, which usually don't need extra cooling unless the user is overclocking or running a very high end processor. Take a look at these thermal images by Tom's Hardware, you can see for yourself that the ATX motherboard's extra PCI-E slots are the coolest part of the PC even during hotbox testing, so the extra length of the ATX motherboard doesn't matter when it comes to temperatures, the CPU and graphics card does.

The CPU cooler, case airflow design, and what fans are installed will make the difference when it comes to heat and cooling. I'd recommend a CPU cooler if you want lower CPU temperatures. The stock one is alright, but only barely gets the job done if under heavy CPU stress (video encoding, computation, or other similar tasks). The stock cooler is alright since you won't be overclocking, it might just get somewhat loud as the small fan ramps up speed under load.

If you are worried about heat, the i5 4590 is a nice processor and should not get too hot. It is rated for a 84 watt TDP. Thermal Design Power figures can be thought of as how much maximum heat the device will produce at normal operation). The FX-6300 is rated for a 95 watt TDP. As for the graphics card, Nvidia's latest cards offer much more efficiency and less heat than AMD's current offerings, but since you want to avoid them, let's just leave it at that.

Edit: revised the post a few times for clarity and info links.

Oh, you can use wifi N with both adaptors, just throwing out a cheaper recommendation in case you prefer to save costs.

I don't think I remember you saying you were going to order everything from Amazon and Newegg, I could have tailored the build for best cost from those two retailers. Oh well.

The SSD will improve loading times greatly for anything stored on it. It's very nice to have, but I usually leave it out of cheap builds. It's up to you to decide if it's worth it because SSDs cost quite a lot more when compared to hard drives. While you can get a 1TB HDD for $50, the same amount of money only gets you a 120/128GB SSD. If you don't need that much storage space, then you could opt for an SSD instead of a hard drive if you prefer one. If you want both, thenyou're going to have to spend over your budget. Given the size of Windows and that you may want to keep some applications and games on the SSD for faster loading, 120GB is the smallest SSD we'd recommend for that. You could consider a 64GB SSD, but those aren't very popular anymore and mainly exist as budget options for those that really can't afford a larger one.

I should mention that while SSDs improve loading times, they don't improve game performance. Hard drives are a bottleneck when it comes to file transfers and loading times, but the CPU and graphics card are what matters for game performance like framerate and graphical quality.

Thanks for all your help and taking the time to respond and explain a few things! You're great.

v_au27

Neo Member
With Canadian prices being what they are, I don't really see a way to save much money. Most of the suggestions I have will actually slightly increase the cost, but you may be interested anyway.

The TX3 is alright as a basic cooler, but if you want better overclocking with less noise, consider Cooler Master's Hyper 212 Evo (~$35) instead. The TX3 does not have a backplate, which is very important when it comes to more effective CPU cooling. This test shows the effectiveness of going with and without a backplate, even the Intel stock cooler sees a good boost in effectiveness when paired with an improvised backplate.

For about a dollar more, you can get 2x4GB A-Data XPG 1866MHz RAM instead of the 1600MHz RAM on your list. Admittedly there's only a minor difference that you won't notice in day-to-day use, but if they cost nearly the same, there's no reason not to go for the higher speed memory. Anandtech mentions that speeds above 1600MHz are recommended because there's the odd chance that you'll get maybe +5% performance improvement in some situations, so for just $1 more there's no reason not to get it.

The Crucial M500 240GB drive is two years old at this point, and is lacking the latest technological advances. The new BX100 250GB ($120) and offers slightly more storage space for the extra $7. Spec-wise I think the BX100 is supposed to be faster (according to the rated specs) despite being marketed as a budget model, but it's difficult to find professional reviews and comparisons between drives released two years ago and drives released this year.

There's no need to go with the Supernova B2 750 watt power supply if you aren't doing SLI (I assume you aren't planning for it because the motherboard you chose doesn't support SLI). If you're looking to save money, the EVGA 600B (~$55 after rebate) is decent and will still provide more than enough wattage for your needs. If you want modular cables, then stick with the Supernova B2.

Thanks for the help I will be making the small upgrades you mentioned.

KingV

I finally cashed in a mess of credit card rewards and frequent flier miles to buy a new rig. It's my first new PC from scratch in about 16 years. I've been gaming on consoles and squeaking by on various laptops since then. I'm pretty stoked to get it all out and put it together:

Here's the highlights:
CPU: i5 4690k
Motherboard: MSI z97 PC mate (over clocking is not a huge concern for me, and I plan to use a dac for sound)
GPU: MSI GTX 970 4gD5T OC (on sale)
Cooler: Hyper 212 evo
RAM: crucial ballistix sport 1600
SSD crucial mx100 256GB
HDD hitachi desk star 7200 rpm 1tb
Case: Nanoxia Deep silence 3 ( i was waffling between this and a define R5, but Amazon doesn't have great prices on Fractal Design products).

And.... I forgot to order a power supply.... Any suggestions?

I finally cashed in a mess of credit card rewards and frequent flier miles to buy a new rig. It's my first new PC from scratch in about 16 years. I've been gaming on consoles and squeaking by on various laptops since then. I'm pretty stoked to get it all out and put it together:

Here's the highlights:
Motherboard: MSI z97 PC mate (over clocking is not a huge concern for me, and I plan to use a dac for sound)
SSD crucial mx100 256GB
Case: Nanoxia Deep silence 3 ( i was waffling between this and a define R5, but Amazon doesn't have great prices on Fractal Design products).

I got an EVGA 650W GS, seems pretty solid so far.

RGM79

Thanks for the help I will be making the small upgrades you mentioned.

No problem. Be careful with the 212 Evo cooler, though. According to what I can find online, it will just barely fit in the case. It can be a tight fit. I should have mentioned that earlier.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers...hyper-212-evo-fit-thermaltake-versa-case.html

http://www.tech-critter.com/2014/10/unboxing-review-thermaltake-versa-h21.html

http://www.overclock.net/t/1532395/new-build-pics-and-what-not

Edit: the new NCIX weekly sale started, I think the cost of some items have gone down, like the CPU cooler.

Here's the highlights:
SSD crucial mx100 256GB

Assuming you're in the US, the cheapest power supplies I'd recommend would be the EVGA 600B or the Rosewill Capstone 550 watt, both available for $40 after rebates. The EVGA has slightly more wattage, while the Rosewill is a gold efficiency model that is manufactured by Super Flower, an OEM on the same level of quality as Seasonic.

However, there is deal going on right now - the EVGA Supernova B2 750 watt is $50 after $30 rebate. It's a very nice power supply, manufactured by Super Flower and comes with modular cables. It's more wattage than you'll ever need but the price is very good, it's nearly the lowest price it's ever been at.

KingV

No problem. Be careful with the 212 Evo cooler, though. According to what I can find online, it will just barely fit in the case. It can be a tight fit. I should have mentioned that earlier.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers...hyper-212-evo-fit-thermaltake-versa-case.html

http://www.tech-critter.com/2014/10/unboxing-review-thermaltake-versa-h21.html

http://www.overclock.net/t/1532395/new-build-pics-and-what-not

Assuming you're in the US, the cheapest power supplies I'd recommend would be the EVGA 600B or the Rosewill Capstone 550 watt, both available for $40 after rebates. The EVGA has slightly more wattage, while the Rosewill is a gold efficiency model that is manufactured by Super Flower, an OEM on the same level of quality as Seasonic.

However, there is deal going on right now - the EVGA Supernova B2 750 watt is $50 after $30 rebate. It's a very nice power supply, manufactured by Super Flower and comes with modular cables. It's more wattage than you'll ever need but the price is very good, it's nearly the lowest price it's ever been at.

Thanks, I'll go with that!

got my 970 and put it in my PC today. If this taught me one thing, its I need to work on wire management. I legitimately didnt think it was going to fit at first because of so many wires in the way.

Also, a question. How do you cap games at 30 fps? I remember doing it for dying light, but for the life of me cant remember how I did it.

RGM79

got my 970 and put it in my PC today. If this taught me one thing, its I need to work on wire management. I legitimately didnt think it was going to fit at first because of so many wires in the way.

Also, a question. How do you cap games at 30 fps? I remember doing it for dying light, but for the life of me cant remember how I did it.

I haven't used it myself, but some applications like Nvidia Inspector and the Rivatuner component of MSI Afterburner will let you set framerate limits.

Handal

Hi guys,

Need an advice.. I'm currently looking to upgrade my GTX560TI. I'm actually looking at these two models :
EVGA Superclocked ACX 2.0 at 395$ (CAD)
MSI TwinFrozr V at 425$(CAD)

I'm still not sure if the 30$ difference is worth it for the MSI.. I've always been with MSI, but I heard alot of good stuff from EVGA. Also, should I wait until the AMD cards get announced ? I'm actually looking at these cards because of the current 2 free games being offered with them.

Thanks !

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So I flashed my Bios to the latest image available and disabled some "super cool featurezzz" and the random CPU heatspikes have disappeared :). Just doing windows stuff and browsing never goes higher than 38 degrees now, but generally seems to sit between 34-35 ish so temps are way better now.

Now to OC this sucker to the Turboclock speed at 4.1ghz and things will be smooth. Hope I have a chip capable of running that OC on stock voltage though, some can, but not all.

Edit: This also fixed Far Cry 3 performance as well, was getting kinda assy framedrops up on mountains but it's much smoother now. Sweet :D. Maybe I wont need that OC yet after all

RGM79

Hi guys,

Need an advice.. I'm currently looking to upgrade my GTX560TI. I'm actually looking at these two models :
EVGA Superclocked ACX 2.0 at 395$ (CAD)
MSI TwinFrozr V at 425$(CAD)

I'm still not sure if the 30$ difference is worth it for the MSI.. I've always been with MSI, but I heard alot of good stuff from EVGA. Also, should I wait until the AMD cards get announced ? I'm actually looking at these cards because of the current 2 free games being offered with them.

Thanks !

The MSI's not worth the extra cost. There is the EVGA GTX 970 SSC at $400 after rebate which is on paper at least, better than the MSI Gaming 4G which costs more. While it says on PCPartPicker that NCIX is out of stock, NCIX still has some in their warehouse, just not at their retail locations.

cyborg009

Banned
The SSD will improve loading times greatly for anything stored on it. It's very nice to have, but I usually leave it out of cheap builds. It's up to you to decide if it's worth it because SSDs cost quite a lot more when compared to hard drives. While you can get a 1TB HDD for $50, the same amount of money only gets you a 120/128GB SSD. If you don't need that much storage space, then you could opt for an SSD instead of a hard drive if you prefer one. If you want both, thenyou're going to have to spend over your budget. Given the size of Windows and that you may want to keep some applications and games on the SSD for faster loading, 120GB is the smallest SSD we'd recommend for that. You could consider a 64GB SSD, but those aren't very popular anymore and mainly exist as budget options for those that really can't afford a larger one.

I should mention that while SSDs improve loading times, they don't improve game performance. Hard drives are a bottleneck when it comes to file transfers and loading times, but the CPU and graphics card are what matters for game performance like framerate and graphical quality.

Hmm I see.. How about this should I use my 500 gb hard drive from my laptop and get the SSD128/gb or 64gb for the OS? And also would I have to make any changes to the items in previous page? Since I never had two hard drives at the same time.

Edit: Also a big thank you to RGM79 , you made this process so painless.

RGM79

Hmm I see.. How about this should I use my 500 gb hard drive from my laptop and get the SSD128/gb or 64gb for the OS? And also would I have to make any changes to the items in previous page? Since I never had two hard drives at the same time.

Edit: Also a big thank you to RGM79 , you made this process so painless.

It's fine, the computer will support more than two drives easily. The motherboard comes with the SATA cables to plug in both drives.

As for a specific SSD, I recommend the Crucial BX100 120GB for $61.

Well, folks, I'm pleased to say that I'm currently typing this from my brand new PC that I've got set up on my 70" 4k TV. Thanks again to those who helped me with the build--now it's time to put this 970 to the test (at 1080p lol, 4k is a damn pipe dream for most games)

Well, folks, I'm pleased to say that I'm currently typing this from my brand new PC that I've got set up on my 70" 4k TV. Thanks again to those who helped me with the build--now it's time to put this 970 to the test (at 1080p lol, 4k is a damn pipe dream for most games)

You might be surprised. With 4k you don't need anti-aliasing really and you could perhaps get 30fps for some games.

I was running Batman Arkham City downsampled from 4k really well at 60. GTAV was possible at around 30-40fps. CSGO hits around 110fps.

You might be surprised. With 4k you don't need anti-aliasing really and you could perhaps get 30fps for some games.

I was running Batman Arkham City downsampled from 4k really well at 60. GTAV was possible at around 30-40fps. CSGO hits around 110fps.
I may give it a shot for the slightly older games in my backlog that support that resolution. I'm pretty happy that nothing arrived DOA, though I accidentally bent a pin on the WiFi chip on my MOBO... Can't remove the damn thing because of a screw that won't come out, and I'm not taking the sumbitch apart for it. Eh, can live without WiFi for a while haha

Godan

So I should get my 980 today.

With regards to installing it do I need to remove the drivers of my 780 before I put my 980 in or should the Nvidia drivers I have just now be ok for the 980?

So I should get my 980 today.

With regards to installing it do I need to remove the drivers of my 780 before I put my 980 in or should the Nvidia drivers I have just now be ok for the 980?

You don't have to. They use the same driver.

But it doesn't hurt to do a clean install.

RGM79

nice, snapped one up for my parent's laptop.

they have the same size sdd as me now heh.

what accessories do i need to clone their HDD to an SSD then switch em? just a spare external HDD?

Yep. Or you could buy a drive enclosure and use that instead. Put the SSD into it, connect it to the laptop and clone the drive. Then swap the SSD and hard drive.

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
I'm looking for a cube/lan box case which can fit a ATX MB. Like the CM HAF XB, but that one is pretty ugly.

Any tips?

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
The Corsair Air 540 comes to mind first. What sort of case features and aesthetics are you looking for?

That one looks far better. I'm looking for one with a clean front (no visible 5.25 bays)/without that much mesh and good CM. If I'm not getting a cube, I'll get a Define R5 or H440 (even though I don't like windows)

hodgy100

hey guys. I'm looking into getting a new monitor my current 1080p tn 24" panel doesn't seem to cut it anymore. I'm too used to ips screens and much prefer that look.

my rig has a R9-290 so i think i can get away with a slightly higher resolution but it isn't a priority. I kind of also want to leverage freesync as i have the hardware for it. anyone got any recommendations? (UK)

The Llama

hey guys. I'm looking into getting a new monitor my current 1080p tn 24" panel doesn't seem to cut it anymore. I'm too used to ips screens and much prefer that look.

my rig has a R9-290 so i think i can get away with a slightly higher resolution but it isn't a priority. I kind of also want to leverage freesync as i have the hardware for it. anyone got any recommendations? (UK)

How much are you looking to spend?

ricki42

The 2x8GB is $10 cheaper then the 4x4GB, also it gives you the option to upgrade to 32GB later if you want to, instead of filling all the ram slots on your motherboard and having to remove a stick later.

X99 is quad-channel though. And I think most X99 boards (at least ATX) have 8 slots.

Kuldar

So I bought my new PC following Stubo build but I have a problem with the second PCIe slot used by the second GTX 970.

I finished the installation and installed the OS and drivers. And when I launch the nvidia configuration panel, there is no option for the SLI. When I launch the peripheral managment, only one GTX 970 is listed.

I switched slot of the two GTX 970 and there was still only one listed. When I remove the GTX 970 from the second PCIe slot it work (and I tested with both GTX 970). But if I only use the second PCIe slot, there is no image input. Is there a bios option to activate the second PCIe slot of the Z97X_SLI or is it a defective slot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom