• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
No problem!

I only recommend upgrading CPU now as you'll have to buy another new motherboard when you eventually decide to get a new CPU.
That's a good point... Hmm. I'll have a look on Amazon just now. Is there anything you would recommend? A sort of mid tier combination would be fine. Also, if I upgrade the CPU, do I have to upgrade the PSU?
Edit: Digital Foundry list these two as compatible.

Intel i3 4150 Dual Core CPU (3.50GHz, 3MB Cache, 54W, Graphics, Virtualization Technology, Socket 1150)
MSI H81M-P33 LGA1150 M-ATX Motherboard (Intel H81, DDR3, 2x USB 3.0, GBE LAN, VGA, DVI)

Would that be reasonable?

The_Poet

Banned
That's a good point... Hmm. I'll have a look on Amazon just now. Is there anything you would recommend? A sort of mid tier combination would be fine. Also, if I upgrade the CPU, do I have to upgrade the PSU?
Edit: Digital Foundry list these two as compatible.

Intel i3 4150 Dual Core CPU (3.50GHz, 3MB Cache, 54W, Graphics, Virtualization Technology, Socket 1150)
MSI H81M-P33 LGA1150 M-ATX Motherboard (Intel H81, DDR3, 2x USB 3.0, GBE LAN, VGA, DVI)

Would that be reasonable?

Great choices, large improvement over your current build. I would recommend this motherboard purely because its gigabyte and they tend to have better quality control than MSI

As for PSU, what is the wattage of your current one? The only time you tend to need to upgrade a PSU is when you upgrade a graphics card.

I think I'll go with this one -> as it's good enough for me and I'm trying to keep the cost down as I am a lowly student. :p but thanks for all your help!
Great choices, large improvement over your current build. I would recommend this motherboard purely because its gigabyte and they tend to have better quality control than MSI
I was looking at that one as it's Prime delivery, they're waiting in my basket now. :p

Thanks everyone who helped, I'm completely new to this so I appreciated all of it. :)

GRaider81

Ok after playing about and getting advice from lots of kind folks here I'm looking at this build now. Anything glaring that I should be aware of. If I can reduce the cost but get similar performance I'd be happy!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£249.98 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.97 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£89.99 @ Novatech)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£85.75 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£41.14 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (£257.94 @ Aria PC)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (£49.19 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£63.31 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM (64-bit) (£67.95 @ Ebuyer)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse (£25.46 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £955.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-04 15:30 BST+0100

As for PSU, what is the wattage of your current one? The only time you tend to need to upgrade a PSU is when you upgrade a graphics card.

As he said he only needs play older games, his is one of the few cases where an APU would be viable and slightly cheaper for the performance. A Carrizo APU would be cheap but offers good graphical processing. These can also be overclocked.

DSN2K

I'm a bit stuck currently on getting a new GPU....I play at 1080p so I don't need a 970/290x really but the cards in my bracket(they must fit small mATX case) are 960 and R285 and neither have more then 2GB ram....I geuess I could get old 280/280x but I kind of want a newer more power effient card....its a shame there is no 960ti

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual

theRizzle

Just ordered a G3258 & a 750 ti based system for my dad (and me to play Dota on when I go home for the holidays to visit him)... feels good man. I can't wait to get there and build it.

That feel from putting together a new rig - regardless of how beefy it is - is unmatched for me. I LOVE IT.

mkenyon

Banned
Ok after playing about and getting advice from lots of kind folks here I'm looking at this build now. Anything glaring that I should be aware of. If I can reduce the cost but get similar performance I'd be happy!

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.97 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£41.14 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£63.31 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM (64-bit) (£67.95 @ Ebuyer)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse (£25.46 @ Ebuyer)
Looks great. If Win 8.1 isn't that much more, I'd suggest going that route. Free upgrade to Win 10.
Quick check:

I currently have this RAM: F3-12800CL9-2GBXL, 1600mhz 9-9-9-28 (4GB in total)

I want to add these: http://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B004HZE7H6/

F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL, 1600mhz, 9-9-9-24.

Shouldn't have any problem right?
Nope, shouldn't be any problem.
Just ordered a G3258 & a 750 ti based system for my dad (and me to play Dota on when I go home for the holidays to visit him)... feels good man. I can't wait to get there and build it.

That feel from putting together a new rig - regardless of how beefy it is - is unmatched for me. I LOVE IT.
Nice!

Don't forget to overclock it. Easy as pie and it'll run Dota 2 much more smoothly.
What exactly are we doing kennah

Have you gone mad
X99 ITX under water.

Get on his level.

So that's all of that ordered...

Will it be as simple as disconnecting the hard drive, graphics card and casing and then putting it all back together? Just slotting stuff in, no soldering etc?

Kayant

If you go with an i5 4690K instead you can ;) As long as the most intensive task your doing is gaming. You're are only losing out on 3-8fps of performance which isn't worth the price increase IMO. i7 Is more if you're going to be doing things like very heavy multitasking, video editing, 3D rendering and the like where the hyper threading will help.
CPU_01.png
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1261?vs=1260

GRaider81

If you go with an i5 4690K instead you can ;) As long as the most intensive task your doing is gaming. You're are only losing out on 3-8fps of performance which isn't worth the price increase IMO. i7 Is more if you're going to be doing things like very heavy multitasking, video editing, 3D rendering and the like where the hyper threading will help.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1261?vs=1260

Thanks. I did wonder about that.

Another question, if im running through my TV will I need a soundcard?

spannicus

Guys i have a NZXT S340 case, should i place the fans to exhaust air on the rear and top and use the Corsair h100i as intake on the front under the radiator?

I have a cooler master silencio 550 case

I was poking around yesterday and realized I only have the 1 fan it ships with, so I need new fans (2 intake 1 exhaust)

I have the HAVIK-120 as my CPU cooler, not sure if this makes a difference (it's a big ass heatsink that I've debated on replacing because one of the rubber bands that holds the fan in place is messed up)

What are the best case fans for this?

I've looked into the NOCTUA NF-F12 but I should apparently use that on the HAVIK if I wanted to replace the fans, and they aren't great as exhaust fans or something?

also could I just replace the fans on the heatsink?

I've overclocked my CPU to 4.6 (2500k) and am getting a 980ti soon so I figured I should do something about the internal temps

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Alright folks, I'm looking to choose a GPU and am flicking between the GTX 970, 980 or 980 Ti. I should state beforehand that I'm running at 1080p 60hz monitor so I don't have huuuuge resolution demands. (i'd be looking to move to 1440p/4k in a few years time or even longer)

Now the GTX 970 seems like the best bang for buck but I was wondering do you think you'd get a few years out of it at 1080p 60fps or is that wishful thinking and a year at best ? I will admit that the 3.5GB/slower 0.5 GB issue concerns me as well but I'm not sure realistically how much affect it's really had so far and does it affect 1080p as much ? I guess GTX970 owners could chime in on that. It also leaves me a bit of cash free for some other things.

Then you have the GTX 980 which is the middle ground (of higher cards) and doesn't suffer from the slower vram issue. Of course it costs around £100 more at LEAST. Is it worth the price difference for performance ?

Then there's the GTX 980 Ti which I would really really like but I wouldn't be able to afford anything apart from the reference cards and we know the custom cooler ones tend to be better plus it seems overkill for 1080p (even though it does have a nice FPS increase regardless). I don't tend to buy super expensive graphics cards in general and it would be the most I've ever spent on a graphics card.

Apologies for the rambling post and I know I'm kind of 'typing out loud' here. I'll be moving up from a GTX670 so regardless I'd see a difference but I guess I'm just getting twitchy here :p

CHC

If anyone is looking to have less dongles / cables coming out of their PC, I just got the Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I and highly recommend it. It's a Wi-fi PCI card with Bluetooth and a small antenna. Just installed and I'm loving it, antenna is slightly magnetic so you can stick it to the PC case, getting 55 Mpbs, up from 20-something on my USB dongle. Also picks up the Dualshock 4 with like no latency. Saved me 3 USB slots and a lot of clutter.

appaws

Banned
Alright folks, I'm looking to choose a GPU and am flicking between the GTX 970, 980 or 980 Ti. I should state beforehand that I'm running at 1080p 60hz monitor so I don't have huuuuge resolution demands. (i'd be looking to move to 1440p/4k in a few years time or even longer)

Now the GTX 970 seems like the best bang for buck but I was wondering do you think you'd get a few years out of it at 1080p 60fps or is that wishful thinking and a year at best ? I will admit that the 3.5GB/slower 0.5 GB issue concerns me as well but I'm not sure realistically how much affect it's really had so far and does it affect 1080p as much ? I guess GTX970 owners could chime in on that. It also leaves me a bit of cash free for some other things.

Then you have the GTX 980 which is the middle ground (of higher cards) and doesn't suffer from the slower vram issue. Of course it costs around £100 more at LEAST. Is it worth the price difference for performance ?

Then there's the GTX 980 Ti which I would really really like but I wouldn't be able to afford anything apart from the reference cards and we know the custom cooler ones tend to be better plus it seems overkill for 1080p (even though it does have a nice FPS increase regardless). I don't tend to buy super expensive graphics cards in general and it would be the most I've ever spent on a graphics card.

Apologies for the rambling post and I know I'm kind of 'typing out loud' here. I'll be moving up from a GTX670 so regardless I'd see a difference but I guess I'm just getting twitchy here :p

There is really no answer other than "what is your budget?"

If you have the dough for a 980ti...yes it might be "overkill" for 1920x1080...but you will enjoy maxing the shit out of everything for a while, and then you will be ready for the upgrade to a better display.

If you are budget constrained...the 970 will be an amazing card for 1920x1080 gaming, and you can reconsider GPUs down the road when you decide to go for a higher res display.

Really you can't go wrong....it all depends on how much scratch you can spend.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
There is really no answer other than "what is your budget?"

If you have the dough for a 980ti...yes it might be "overkill" for 1920x1080...but you will enjoy maxing the shit out of everything for a while, and then you will be ready for the upgrade to a better display.

If you are budget constrained...the 970 will be an amazing card for 1920x1080 gaming, and you can reconsider GPUs down the road when you decide to go for a higher res display.

Really you can't go wrong....it all depends on how much scratch you can spend.

You're absolutely right, I've got about £550 (£600 at the absolute most but tbh £550 is more likely) to spend.

I could afford at the most a reference 980 Ti but part of me is thinking a 970 GTX along with a 512GB/1TB SSD drive, another upgrade I've been meaning/wanting to make for a while. With Pascal coming out next year as well I'm also curious as to how those cards turn out and not splashing a lot out in the meantime. I'm not against turning down settings to get 60fps either, it's just that playing Witcher 3 at 30fps really made me finally want to upgrade.

Just various factors I'm trying to go with in my head, hell I've been looking at good chairs as well lol (for example im a big fella so I've been looking at the DXRacer King series chairs which look good and comfy, I'm not interested in them because of a name but they are pricey)

mkenyon

Banned

If you have the money for a 980 Ti, get a 980 and a 120/144Hz monitor. If that's pushing it, get a 970 and 120/144Hz monitor. If that is still pushing it (~$600 for that last one), then get a 970.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
If you have the money for a 980 Ti, get a 980 and a 120/144Hz monitor. If that's pushing it, get a 970 and 120/144Hz monitor. If that is still pushing it (~$600 for that last one), then get a 970.

Thanks for the advice :) I've honestly got no interest in a 120/144Hz monitor for now, I'm really happy with my 60Hz Foris monitor. I'm not against 120Hz/144Hz, in fact I'm certain I'd love it but more that's an upgrade for further down the line for me and quite low on my list (especially if Foris release one)

EDIT - Oh shit wait, I forgot about GSync and I've heard nothing but good things about that.... that would get me interested in another monitor. Damn you! :p

xJavonta

Banned
Okay, so a little over a week ago I posted about my GPU giving me problems. I never got around to checking the thread again because the problems seemed to be gone, until today. I tried to play Fallout New Vegas, and all of a sudden my displays just went out. I'm not sure why this is happening, but I figure the GPU is bad since I've been having issues with it forever now.

It was gifted to me to replace my old card (which was also low end--a Radeon HD 5670 1GB). This card should in theory perform about as well or a little better than my old card, but if anything it's as bad as an iGPU.

The Newegg page lists it as an AMD R7 250 1GB, but it's really not. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814105032&Tpk=14-105-032

Here's what GPU-Z says it is. If you click that link, it looks EXACTLY like my card. No brand or anything so I don't know who to contact to RMA the thing.
Gj4yEWq.png

Tried to get in contact with AMD earlier this year for an RMA, they didn't help at all and their terrible support marked the ticket as solved so I just gave up on it.

I don't have any money to get a new card right now even though I desperately need an upgrade, so I'm kinda stuck with this. Any help on what I should do or who I should contact to send this piece of shit in would be greatly appreciated. I've had it for 6 months and for 3 of those months I just ended up using my old card instead since it gave me no problems.

Edit: Also, I bought a new PSU when I got the card, 600w modular Antec Basiq which I figured would be more than enough for my modest system.

Specs:
Intel Core i3 2100
4GB RAM
120 GB SSD
500 GB HDD
AMD R7 250 2GB?

mkenyon

Banned
Thanks for the advice :) I've honestly got no interest in a 120/144Hz monitor for now, I'm really happy with my 60Hz Foris monitor. I'm not against 120Hz/144Hz, in fact I'm certain I'd love it but more that's an upgrade for further down the line for me and quite low on my list (especially if Foris release one)
There's an Eizo Foris FG2421 that is actually still my #1 pick for 1080p monitor, even ahead of G-Sync stuff.

And really, seriously, it is game changing. IMO, it's a bigger improvement than 1440p or 4k. If you're the type that prefers to play grand strategy games and CRPGs, then probably not.
Okay, so a little over a week ago I posted about my GPU giving me problems. I never got around to checking the thread again because the problems seemed to be gone, until today. I tried to play Fallout New Vegas, and all of a sudden my displays just went out. I'm not sure why this is happening, but I figure the GPU is bad since I've been having issues with it forever now.

It was gifted to me to replace my old card (which was also low end--a Radeon HD 5670 1GB). This card should in theory perform about as well or a little better than my old card, but if anything it's as bad as an iGPU.

The Newegg page lists it as an AMD R7 250 1GB, but it's really not. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814105032&Tpk=14-105-032

Here's what GPU-Z says it is. If you click that link, it looks EXACTLY like my card. No brand or anything so I don't know who to contact to RMA the thing.
Gj4yEWq.png

Tried to get in contact with AMD earlier this year for an RMA, they didn't help at all and their terrible support marked the ticket as solved so I just gave up on it.

I don't have any money to get a new card right now even though I desperately need an upgrade, so I'm kinda stuck with this. Any help on what I should do or who I should contact to send this piece of shit in would be greatly appreciated. I've had it for 6 months and for 3 of those months I just ended up using my old card instead since it gave me no problems.

Edit: Also, I bought a new PSU when I got the card, 600w modular Antec Basiq which I figured would be more than enough for my modest system.

Specs:
Intel Core i3 2100
4GB RAM
120 GB SSD
500 GB HDD
AMD R7 250 2GB?
Any way you could grab a picture of the card itself? Hopefully with enough clarity to read the writing on it.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
There's an Eizo Foris FG2421 that is actually still my #1 pick for 1080p monitor, even ahead of G-Sync stuff.

And really, seriously, it is game changing. IMO, it's a bigger improvement than 1440p or 4k. If you're the type that prefers to play grand strategy games and CRPGs, then probably not.

Any way you could grab a picture of the card itself? Hopefully with enough clarity to read the writing on it.

Yeah I love my Foris, it's a brilliant 1080p monitor :) I have the first gaming monitor they made, the Foris FS2333-BK and it's one of the best monitors I've ever had.

I'm very much a shooter guy so I know I would feel the improvements, I might take a nosey at 1080p Gsync monitors just to size em up.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah I love my Foris, it's a brilliant 1080p monitor :) I have the first gaming monitor they made, the Foris FS2333-BK and it's one of the best monitors I've ever had.

I'm very much a shooter guy so I know I would feel the improvements, I might take a nosey at 1080p Gsync monitors just to size em up.
The FG2421 is a VA Panel, which is the absolute best for gaming/multimedia. It also has a native strobing tool that mimics a CRT in terms of motion blur.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/eizo_fg2421.htm

http://www.blurbusters.com/eizo-announces-foris-fg2421/

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah when I looked that up it's supposed to be better than my old card and I'm only playing games on medium settings at 1600x900 or 1280x720 but it still gives me problems. I have no idea what's wrong with it.
That should still be covered by warranty, TBH. I'd seriously try to RMA that with AMD.

Are you using a Displayport, or DVI? Any chance it could be the cable and/or monitor?

Yeah when I looked that up it's supposed to be better than my old card and I'm only playing games on medium settings at 1600x900 or 1280x720 but it still gives me problems. I have no idea what's wrong with it.

How's the airflow in your case? If it's trapping heat that could be your problem.

Otherwise, yes, RMA.

xJavonta

Banned
That should still be covered by warranty, TBH. I'd seriously try to RMA that with AMD.

Are you using a Displayport, or DVI? Any chance it could be the cable and/or monitor?
I asked AMD about sending it in and they just kept spewing the same crap. They thought it was an integrated GPU and marked it as solved. I'll give it another shot though.

Using HDMI for my primary monitor, brand new cable. Using a DVI->VGA adapter for my secondary monitor and have tried 3 different cables. I'm not sure what the cause of this is :/
How's the airflow in your case? If it's trapping heat that could be your problem.

Otherwise, yes, RMA.
The case is fairly large and there are no lose cables, everything is behind the back panel away from the components. Also I'm in a basement and the temperature down here is really cool, no carpet and no dust in the case. I haven't monitored the temps, but if I had to guess I'd say they're fine. The GPU, SSD and PSU are literally the only components I've changed since I built it years ago. Everything else was working fine :(

Maybe the heat sink is having problems? The fan spins at full speed whenever I start the game up. Even in NHL 2004 the GPU fan starts to ramp up on the menus, and they're made with HTML.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom