• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

knitoe

Installed EVGA ACX 2.0+ Coolers on my Titans X.

40qiwwO.jpg

dZGWJOz.jpg

In W3, I was hitting high 80s with lots of throttling with the stock fans. With these, even with a +100 core & +200 memory, hitting low 80s and hardly any throttling. And, they are much more quiet under load.

ss_lemonade

Is there a way I can get my 780 to do scaling when I plug it to my TV via HDMI? What I want to do is run stuff in a lower resolution while still feeding a 1920x1080 signal to my TV, giving me a smaller window but keeping things sharp. It works on my PC monitor but I can't get the same output with my TV.

Also, GPU scaling can't be selected for some reason in the nvidia control panel when plugged to my TV. Is that some sort of bug or limitation?

Okay, before moving over my GPU to its new system, I want to benchmark it with a Geek Bench equivalent for graphics. What should I use and preferably free.

So I'm looking at a monitor that does 144Hz g-sync, but also ULMB at 100Hz. I suppose I could wait and see for myself what the difference is like, but would locking a game to 100fps and using the ULMB be a huge downgrade from just having the game/monitor run at 144Hz?

mkenyon

Banned
So I'm looking at a monitor that does 144Hz g-sync, but also ULMB at 100Hz. I suppose I could wait and see for myself what the difference is like, but would locking a game to 100fps and using the ULMB be a huge downgrade from just having the game/monitor run at 144Hz?
Yeah, this is the reason I haven't jumped on the Acer hype train. ULMB @ 100Hz is not great, and yeah, I would just go with 144Hz despite having a less crisp picture.

The RoG Swift does ULMB @144Hz.

Gritesh

I paid 450 for my 7950 a few years back. I want to rebuild my pc and take it to the living room with the steam controller when it comes.

I refuse to pay more than 500 bucks for a video card to me the price to performance ratio isn't worth it to spend more.

I'm having a hard time finding something that will replace my 7950 and offer me a significant boost in performance is there really nothing available yet?

MisterNoisy

I paid 450 for my 7950 a few years back. I want to rebuild my pc and take it to the living room with the steam controller when it comes.

I refuse to pay more than 500 bucks for a video card to me the price to performance ratio isn't worth it to spend more.

I'm having a hard time finding something that will replace my 7950 and offer me a significant boost in performance is there really nothing available yet?

I swapped from a 7950 Boost to a 970 in the mini-ITX box and the difference in GTA5 is pretty much night and day - near-minimum settings with mild tearing to adaptive vsync with everything on very high and advanced stuff maxed.

spicy cho

40qiwwO.jpg

dZGWJOz.jpg

In W3, I was hitting high 80s with lots of throttling with the stock fans. With these, even with a +100 core & +200 memory, hitting low 80s and hardly any throttling. And, they are much more quiet under load.
Very nice.

RGM79

What games do you play? What settings and framerate do you want to play at?

Assuming you're in the US, the GTX 980 can now be had for a bit less than $500 and should be about twice as effective as the 7950 for gaming performance.

FaintDeftone

40qiwwO.jpg

dZGWJOz.jpg

Dude that is like the cleanest setup inside of a case that I've ever seen. Mine looks like a robot puked wires everywhere inside.

Reckheim

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to check what you guys think of the setup i'm thinking of purchasing.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/msi-z97m-gaming-matx-lga1150-bb-97046-1257.htm - motherboard

http://www.ncix.com/detail/intel-core-i5-4690k-unlocked-c2-97889-1115.htm - CPU

http://www.ncix.com/detail/kingston-hyperx-fury-memory-black-5e-95971-1115.htm - Memory

http://www.ncix.com/detail/corsair-carbide-series-air-240-b4-100902.htm - Case

The power supply and hard drives I already own from my previous computer. As for the videocard I wanted to ask you guys if I should wait a bit (assuming new cards get announced soon) or if I should buy a gtx970 now.

Edit: also wanted to ask which gtx970 card is the best, there is a lot of options out there.

Gritesh

What games do you play? What settings and framerate do you want to play at?

Assuming you're in the US, the GTX 980 can now be had for a bit less than $500 and should be about twice as effective as the 7950 for gaming performance.

I'm in Canada the gtx980 is about 850 here right now. The gtx980ti is the same price.

I pretty much want to be able to play anything that I might be interested in.
I play alot of dota at the desktop but I also recently picked up a logitech g27 and project cars and dirt rally.

I'd like to be able to pretty much pick up and play any game however I do game on my ps4 at the couch and in order for the pc to compete with my time I would need the games to perform and look better than they do on the ps4.

RGM79

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to check what you guys think of the setup i'm thinking of purchasing.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/msi-z97m-gaming-matx-lga1150-bb-97046-1257.htm - motherboard

http://www.ncix.com/detail/intel-core-i5-4690k-unlocked-c2-97889-1115.htm - CPU

http://www.ncix.com/detail/kingston-hyperx-fury-memory-black-5e-95971-1115.htm - Memory

http://www.ncix.com/detail/corsair-carbide-series-air-240-b4-100902.htm - Case

The power supply and hard drives I already own from my previous computer. As for the videocard I wanted to ask you guys if I should wait a bit (assuming new cards get announced soon) or if I should buy a gtx970 now.

Edit: also wanted to ask which gtx970 card is the best, there is a lot of options out there.

It'll all work together, but the motherboard and RAM are pretty expensive. Do you prefer to buy from NCIX only, or are other retailers OK? You could save a lot shopping elsewhere and going with alternative parts. For exmaple, the following parts will cost over $100 less than what you had picked out from NCIX, and are no worse in performance.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($286.95 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: Asus Z97M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($142.09 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($129.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Corsair Air 240 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($98.41 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $657.44
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-04 21:53 EDT-0400

If you wanted to get all the parts from NCIX, then you should get them to pricematch that parts list and it should come out even cheaper after the discounts.

Whether or not you should get a GTX 970 will depend on your budget and what you want to play at what settings and framerate.

Also, do you already have a CPU cooler? The Air 240 is nice, but it won't accommodate much in the way of air cooling towers as the case is geared more towards all-in-one water coolers.

I'm in Canada the gtx980 is about 850 here right now. The gtx980ti is the same price.

I pretty much want to be able to play anything that I might be interested in.
I play alot of dota at the desktop but I also recently picked up a logitech g27 and project cars and dirt rally.

I'd like to be able to pretty much pick up and play any game however I do game on my ps4 at the couch and in order for the pc to compete with my time I would need the games to perform and look better than they do on the ps4.

What prices are you looking at? I'm seeing the GTX 980 going for about $600 or so. Well, if you're prepared to spend around $400~500, that much money would get you a decent GTX 970 which is still a strong upgrade from your 7950. When overclocked, a good GTX 970 can reach stock GTX 980 levels.

The GTX 970 should already be capable of graphics quality settings and framerate better than that of most PS4 games, although part of that performance will also depend on the rest of your system specs.

2nd link is this for $430:
Dell Outlet Inspiron 3847
Processor: Intel Core 4th Generation i5-4460 Processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.4GHz)
Windows 8.1
1 TB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
12 GB Memory (8GBx1 + 4GBx1) Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz
Tray load DVD Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD)
Intel HD Integrated Graphics

Bought the above, this would be ok with it right? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IDG3PRI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

All I have to do is take out the intel HD one, put in the 750 ti and I'm set w/o having to worry about power supply or any of that mess? Idk anything about overclockin so idk if that is the right model for me.

Erheller

I know this is half a year early, but how much of a discount do components generally go on during the Thanksgiving sales (Black Friday, Cyber Monday, etc.)?

RGM79

Bought the above, this would be ok with it right? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IDG3PRI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

All I have to do is take out the intel HD one, put in the 750 ti and I'm set w/o having to worry about power supply or any of that mess? Idk anything about overclockin so idk if that is the right model for me.

Yes, the GTX 750 Ti will work with that. No, you don't have to take out the Intel HD graphics, that is built into the processor and will automatically be disabled once you put in the new graphics card.

That graphics card you linked to is EVGA's entry level GTX 750 Ti. If you want a slightly better card for your money, the slightly faster (1.02GHz vs 1.18GHz) EVGA Superclocked edition is the same price ($120) after rebates from Newegg. it's factory overclocked, meaning it's set to run at that speed and you do not have to overclock it yourself.

I know this is half a year early, but how much of a discount do components generally go on during the Thanksgiving sales (Black Friday, Cyber Monday, etc.)?

Discounts are never at a set rate, but during the last two months of the year, sales become more frequent due to Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Christmas season sales like boxing week, etc. It's difficult to say how far discounts go because that's up to the retailer. Last year's sales were kind of lackluster, I think..

should i wait for skylake i want to build a micro atx box that's quite, and small for the living room.
Skylake doesn't appear to be a huge leap in performance. If you wait for Skylake, you're mostly getting a slightly better future-proofed PC (DDR4, new socket 1151 motherboard with USB 3.1 and type C, etc) that will be reusable with any future parts that come out after Skylake. There's nothing wrong with buying socket 1150 now in terms of performance, DDR3 and socket 1150 is just on the way out and won't be reusable in the future, that's all.

Echoplx

Latest SSD Firmware installed?

Remember, the larger SSD sizes perform better than the smaller SSD sizes of the same model. That might explain the differences you see in benches. Although i think you are right, it should be around the low 300MB/s.

Firmware is up to date according to Samsung Magician.

I have no idea what else I can do at this point, this is really bugging me.

XBP

So one of the fans on my corsair h105 has started making this low buzzing noise which gets somewhat loud when the CPU is under load. The temps of everything are still really good so its not affecting cooling as of now but I was thinking of changing both fans before anything happens and they stop working or something.

Any suggestions for replacement fans for the h105?

Yes, the GTX 750 Ti will work with that. No, you don't have to take out the Intel HD graphics, that is built into the processor and will automatically be disabled once you put in the new graphics card.

That graphics card you linked to is EVGA's entry level GTX 750 Ti. If you want a slightly better card for your money, the slightly faster (1.02GHz vs 1.18GHz) EVGA Superclocked edition is the same price ($120) after rebates from Newegg. it's factory overclocked, meaning it's set to run at that speed and you do not have to overclock it yourself.

Thanks, ordered it. I'll hit the thread up again when it arrives.

So one of the fans on my corsair h105 has started making this low buzzing noise which gets somewhat loud when the CPU is under load. The temps of everything are still really good so its not affecting cooling as of now but I was thinking of changing both fans before anything happens and they stop working or something.

Any suggestions for replacement fans for the h105?
I think the Noctura NF-F12 or something similar is the go-to replacement fans. Anytime I read about someone replacing the fans on a Corsair AIO, it seems to always be those for performance and lower noise.

MoonGred

Are the tubes of aio water coolers fairly stress resistant? I just installed the h80i in the air 240, but no matter what I tried the tubes would just be in the worst spot.
I'd like to bend them upwards a little.

Try turning the volume down on the monitor/speakers and increasing it in Windows. I had the exact same issue 2 months ago, and this fixed it for me.
I still don't know what the reason for it is but it seems to be tied to framerate/on screen movement.
30fps was noticeable but playing cs at 120fps made it so much worse
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by turning the volume down on the monitor and increase it in Windows.

MoonGred

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by turning the volume down on the monitor and increase it in Windows.
Do you have physical buttons on either your speakers or monitor? If so turn the volume down using those buttons. You should be able to then raise the volume in windows to make up for the loss of volume.

I didn't have the issue with my headphones though, that said they run through a separate dac/amp

Do you have physical buttons on either your speakers or monitor? If so turn the volume down using those buttons. You should be able to then raise the volume in windows to make up for the loss of volume.

I didn't have the issue with my headphones though, that said they run through a separate dac/amp
I don't have physical volume control buttons on my monitor or speaker. I mainly use earbuds/headphone whenever I use computer.

MoonGred

Just finished moving everything to my new air 240 and everything works without any issues. Was a nice surprise not having to re-install windows either.

My only concern is the way the tubes run, I've never had watercooling before so I'm a bit worried about the angle of the tubes leaving the cooling block. Can someone confirms whether this is an issue or not?

ckHK3Km.jpg

It's not as clean as I'd like it to be, but I'll be ordering sleeved cables soon and have another crack at it.

XBP

I think the Noctura NF-F12 or something similar is the go-to replacement fans. Anytime I read about someone replacing the fans on a Corsair AIO, it seems to always be those for performance and lower noise.

Those are rather expensive, lol. I'd rather keep it at 15-20$ a fan. Any cheaper alternates in mind?

I stream a bit on Twitch and have a question

I want to build a streaming PC(obviously to stream and do most of the work on the encoding side of things)for no more than $550. If I need to, I can throw in my GTX 770 in there and save some money since I plan to upgrade to a 980Ti.

Would an i3 be fine or should I go with something like the 8350?

NeOak

I stream a bit on Twitch and have a question

I want to build a streaming PC(obviously to stream and do most of the work on the encoding side of things)for no more than $550. If I need to, I can throw in my GTX 770 in there and save some money since I plan to upgrade to a 980Ti.

Would an i3 be fine or should I go with something like the 8350?

If you use NVENC for encoding, you can offload the encoding to the GPU instead.

Rephrasing and reposting:

I have a cooler master silencio 550
I need case fans

It has 2 intake on the front of the case and 1 exhaust in the back

What are some good fans I can get?

I was looking at the NOCTUA NF-F12 but some kg the Amazon reviews say they good for radiator cooling but not so much as intake/exhaust

What are some good fans for that?
I need 3

Kayant

Yeah, I was looking at those as well. Amazon has a 2-pack on for 34$ which isn't a bad price. Any idea about their performance?

I have the AF series the slient edition I can say they are fairly quiet and they come with a speed down voltage adapter. The interchange able rings are also nice for matching your build.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1342-page5.html
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4866/corsair_air_series_af_and_sp_cooling_fans_review/index.html
http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/corsair_air_series_fans_review_sp120_af120_review/1

Bleurgh. So I ordered an i3 and Amazon has sent me an i5 worth like £60 more. I'm going to contact them as I don't feel morally okay with keeping it but this has really inconvenienced me as I'm going away for the weekend and wanted to build this today. :(

Edit: holy shit, they said to keep it! Awesome! :D

RGM79

Theoretically, is a budget $450 build with a GTX 960 + i3 4130T one that could work? Specifically this one:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hqPrsY

120 watt TDP GPU with a 35 watt TDP CPU, running on a basic 480W PSU that only has 2 molex connectors.
Any specific reason why you want to go with the slightly lower power T type processor? I'd be worried about the quality of the power supply, but otherwise the rest of the build looks OK. Looking at reviews, the power supply is not great at all. In reality it's probably closer to being a 300 watt PSU. I wasn't able to get a good shot of the label.. but the stated numbers don't seem to look very good.

Even if you stick with that power supply, you'll need to use a molex to 6 pin PCI-E power adaptor to power the GTX 960. One of those adaptors should come in the box along with the graphics card. I'd really advise against using that power supply.

If you want to make a little better use of your money, the slightly faster i3 4160 ($109) is a few dollars cheaper than the i3 you were looking at, and the slightly faster twin fan EVGA SSC edition GTX 960 after a $10 mail in rebate is available at the same price as the EVGA SC edition you had on the list. Hmm, not sure if the longer twin fan EVGA GTX 960 SSC will fit in that Logisys case.

Here's a somewhat better build for $12 more. No need to worry so much about the power supply, and it comes with a larger hard drive and case to better support the internal parts.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($108.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($36.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Pareema 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($25.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($42.50 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($189.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case ($22.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $447.44
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-05 11:40 EDT-0400

kennah

Bleurgh. So I ordered an i3 and Amazon has sent me an i5 worth like £60 more. I'm going to contact them as I don't feel morally okay with keeping it but this has really inconvenienced me as I'm going away for the weekend and wanted to build this today. :(

Edit: holy shit, they said to keep it! Awesome! :D
Go buy a lotto ticket ;)

Foxyone

Any specific reason why you want to go with the slightly lower power T type processor? I'd be worried about the quality of the power supply, but otherwise the rest of the build looks OK. Looking at reviews, the power supply is not great at all. In reality it's probably closer to being a 200 watt PSU. I wasn't able to get a good shot of the label.. but the stated numbers don't seem to look very good.

Even if you stick with that power supply, you'll need to use a molex to 6 pin PCI-E power adaptor to power the GTX 960. One of those adaptors should come in the box along with the graphics card. I'd really advise against using that power supply.

If you want to make a little better use of your money, the slightly faster i3 4160 ($109) is a few dollars cheaper than the i3 you were looking at, and the slightly faster twin fan EVGA SSC edition GTX 960 after a $10 mail in rebate is available at the same price as the EVGA SC edition you had on the list. Hmm, not sure if the longer twin fan EVGA GTX 960 SSC will fit in that Logisys case.

Here's a somewhat better build for $12 more. No need to worry so much about the power supply, and it comes with a larger hard drive and case to better support the internal parts.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($108.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($36.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Pareema 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($25.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($42.50 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($189.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case ($22.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $447.44
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-05 11:40 EDT-0400

I only used the 4130T to lower the overall power draw of the system since the PSU isn't great and I wanted to reduce the risk of overloading it. I read pcper's An upgrade story and in one of their tests they ran a GTX 750 ti (60W TDP) + an i5 4440 (84W TDP) on a 300W PSU and that seemed to work fine. In my hypothetical build, it would be a GTX 960 (120W TDP) and an i3 4130T (35W TDP) with a 480W PSU. Only an 11W higher TDP compared to their build, and under gaming load their's used ~120W, so I would have thought my hypothetical build would not use too much more, although I dunno if it quite works like that.

Fortunately it's not a build I'm really thinking of getting, but I was just curious how strong of a GPU could be crammed into a budget PC for the same price (no rebates) as the $450 for the Alienware Alpha and still have the build actually work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom