• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpyGuy239

Is now a good time to upgrade to a Z97 board and i5/i7 K series processor? [mainly for gaming]
Wondering if intel has any plans for another architecture switch soon? ow any new Desktop processor release?

Thanks!

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Is now a good time to upgrade to a Z97 board and i5/i7 K series processor? [mainly for gaming]
Wondering if intel has any plans for another architecture switch soon? ow any new Desktop processor release?

Thanks!

Broadwell should be coming out in this period and Skylike will hit before the end of the year.

Rolfgang

Thanks!

Intel is coming in 2016 with Skylake, but with an i5 and a Z97-motherboard you can last 3 - 5 years and who knows what DX12 will bring?

SpyGuy239

Broadwell should be coming out in this period and Skylike will hit before the end of the year.

Intel is coming in 2016 with Skylake, but with an i5 and a Z97-motherboard you can last 3 - 5 years and who knows what DX12 will bring?

Thanks guys. Think I'll wait for skylake. my i7 860 has kept me going for 5 years now, I think I will force myself to wait one more year and maybe get a G-Sync monitor instead.

Any idea is nvidia 3D is still alive and worth investing in or is it dead?

mkenyon

Banned
Thanks guys. Think I'll wait for skylake. my i7 860 has kept me going for 5 years now, I think I will force myself to wait one more year and maybe get a G-Sync monitor instead.

IMO, it's never really been worth investing in. Game support for it is hit or miss, and everyone who uses it is underwhelmed.

Rolfgang

It's kinda still alive, but not kicking.

So, people generally use the G-Sync or Freesync monikers as shorthand for saying that they are (likely) 144Hz and they also do the refresh sync for additional smoothness.

I think if you are on a tight budget that is below $500 for a monitor, then 144Hz@1080>1440p@60Hz. Getting a G-Sync/Freesync monitor at 1080p isn't really worth it if you're running a top end card, as you'll have no trouble maintaining a frame rate above 100fps where the benefits of G-Sync/Freesync are less apparent.

However, if you have a budget >$500 for a monitor, 144hz@1440p is the sweet spot for high end graphics cards right now.

Ugh see this is my problem, my budget is as big as I want it to be, I'm not too worried about that. I just don't feel like spending 600+ on a monitor if they are going to be much cheaper in a year or two.

However, I feel like going from 1080p 60hz to 144hz is an upgrade in some ways and a sidestep in others.

I really like the ultra wide and 1440p, however with the low refresh I'm only getting more screen space and a weird aspect ratio. I just feel like anything other than 4k 144hz is more of a stop gap than a long lasting upgrade.

Maybe I should just bite the bullet on a 4k freesync or gsync when I decide on my card so that this sucker will last me a good 4-5 years.

RGM79

Yeah I understand.

Just want to know did I choose good parts. I know price is huge factor but if I would order my whole build from USA would you change something? My budget ain't that strict so I can check out how much possible edits would cost when ordered from Germany. I'm mainly uncertain with my motherboard pick. Don't know too much about those.

And likewise what case would you choose when ordered from USA? I'll just pick that one and pay how much it ever will cost. Don't think the difference when ordered from Germany is that big after all.

Your parts list is solid. Maybe look at Samsung 850 series or Crucial MX/BX series SSDs for higher performance if the price isn't too high.

There's nothing really to change. If you were buying the entire build from the US then there might be other suggestions in terms of better pricing, but that advice would be unnecessary because you're buying nearly all of your parts from German retailers.

mkenyon

Banned
Ugh see this is my problem, my budget is as big as I want it to be, I'm not too worried about that. I just don't feel like spending 600+ on a monitor if they are going to be much cheaper in a year or two.

However, I feel like going from 1080p 60hz to 144hz is an upgrade in some ways and a sidestep in others.

I really like the ultra wide and 1440p, however with the low refresh I'm only getting more screen space and a weird aspect ratio. I just feel like anything other than 4k 144hz is more of a stop gap than a long lasting upgrade.

Maybe I should just bite the bullet on a 4k freesync or gsync when I decide on my card so that this sucker will last me a good 4-5 years.
Rest assured, there's not going to be any significant price drop on these monitors in awhile.

Rather than Ultrawide or 4K @ 60Hz, I really really recommend a 1440p@144hz monitor like the MG279Q for AMD, or the Acer XB270HU for NVIDIA.

4K @ 144Hz is literally 3+ years out. There's not even a connector that can support that bandwidth right now.

I promise you, on stock BIOS, the AMD card will OC further than the 980 Ti. If you don't mind flashing BIOS, then that's a bit different.

In addition, if you really want to compare a Fury X with a non-reference card like the Hydro where thermals/noise will be similar, then you're also looking at a nearly $200 price difference.

I don't really care about the thermals or noise. I would expect the Fury X to be better on both given the water cooling, but that's not really a performance metric. By non-reference, all I mean is something like a Superclock version or the G1. Those have 10-15% performance gains out of the box from the reference 980 Ti, the price difference is negligible, and still have overclocking headroom. AMD's leaked 4k benchmarks show about 5 frames better than a stock 980 Ti, but no one is buying a 980 Ti and running it at stock.

At the end of the day, if they are just trading blows, I'd probably rather have the extra ram, PhysX, and Gameworks support. I don't want to pay the Gsync tax, but I'll just have to swallow and do it.

Only thing to keep in mind is that Freesync tops out at 90 Hz on that monitor (IIRC).

I believe Freesync support on that one is 35 to 90. Kind of shitty, but their reasoning was bumping the high end was pointless as the benefits of adaptive sync were at the low, and they could only do one or the other.

I don't understand why they can't get Freesync to do the full range, but buying a Freesync monitor requires a ton of research because the Freesync range differs on every single monitor. Some of them are really bad, like only between 45-75. People claiming that the Gysnc module was just snake oil might be wrong, since Gsync seems to work flawlessly on monitors from the same manufacturers that also have Freesync monitors.

Rolfgang

I believe Freesync support on that one is 35 to 90. Kind of shitty, but their reasoning was bumping the high end was pointless as the benefits of adaptive sync were at the low, and they could only do one or the other.

I don't understand why they can't get Freesync to do the full range, but buying a Freesync monitor requires a ton of research because the Freesync range differs on every single monitor. Some of them are really bad, like only between 45-75. People claiming that the Gysnc module was just snake oil might be wrong, since Gsync seems to work flawlessly on monitors from the same manufacturers that also have Freesync monitors.

G-sync is, at the moment, proven to be superior in Hz-range and double or triple buffering below 30 FPS. So yeah, definitely not snake oil.

Rest assured, there's not going to be any significant price drop on these monitors in awhile.

Rather than Ultrawide or 4K @ 60Hz, I really really recommend a 1440p@144hz monitor like the MG279Q for AMD, or the Acer XB270HU for NVIDIA.

4K @ 144Hz is literally 3+ years out. There's not even a connector that can support that bandwidth right now.

Exactly the reassurance I needed. I mean I know we're going to need HDMI 2.1 or 3.0 and DP 1.4 to get to 120+ hz, however I just didn't know if something like 1440p +144hz would be worth it in the meanwhile. (Didn't realize we were that far off from 4k 144hz)

I'll decide between the two once I see the Fury benchmarks, I mainly want to see how far we can push the OC.

mkenyon

Banned
G-sync is, at the moment, proven to be superior in Hz-range and double or triple buffering below 30 FPS. So yeah, definitely not snake oil.
Plus ULMB.

It's absolutely a better technology in every sense. However, that ASUS 144Hz 1440p @ $600 is stupidly tempting.

kennah

Well that was a waste of $70. The 2011 narrow adaptor that I ordered doesn't even fit my block/my block came with an adaptor that fits anyway so I didn't need to order it in the first place. That's a little annoying, but at least it wasn't a total wash, I ordered the thermal pads that I need for my gpu block anyway.

Well that was a waste of $70. The 2011 narrow adaptor that I ordered doesn't even fit my block/my block came with an adaptor that fits anyway so I didn't need to order it in the first place. That's a little annoying, but at least it wasn't a total wash, I ordered the thermal pads that I need for my gpu block anyway.

Return the adaptor?

Stubo

Seems pointless to spend $20 in shipping to return a $6 adaptor.
I'm confused.

Happy with the rest of the pickups though?

kennah

I'm confused.

Happy with the rest of the pickups though?
Breakdown:
Lga narrow adaptor $6
thermal pads $4 x 4 pads
Arctic silver mx2 $3
Shipping $16
Duty $18.

After exchange rate it basically came to $70 total.

I need the pads and paste anyway, and realized too late that they make the zero maintenance tube or would have ordered some too

But basically if I had known I didn't need the adaptor I could have gotten all of that from cheaper places than Slovenia lol

tarheel91

Trying to decide whether or not to get rid of my 295X2 for a Fury X, wait for Fury X2, or just wait for 14nm and ignore Fiji entirely. Witcher 3 pushes the 295X2 pretty hard at 3440x1440.

btkadams

I realized that I need Bluetooth in the PC I'm building. Any recommendations? I figure it'd be beneficial to get one of those wifi/Bluetooth combo cards. Are there issued with those? I'm going to be using Ethernet with it, but I only have one Ethernet port in the room, so it'd be nice to have the freedom of wifi if I want to use the Ethernet cable with something else.

brentech

I realized that I need Bluetooth in the PC I'm building. Any recommendations? I figure it'd be beneficial to get one of those wifi/Bluetooth combo cards. Are there issued with those? I'm going to be using Ethernet with it, but I only have one Ethernet port in the room, so it'd be nice to have the freedom of wifi if I want to use the Ethernet cable with something else.

Buying a cheap 5 port network switch would be highly recommended then.
http://www.amazon.com/b?node=281414

Ethernet from the wall port into the switch. Then wires from the switch to your PC and whatever other devices. Very minimal loss in speed and far superior to any wifi.

btkadams

Buying a cheap 5 port network switch would be highly recommended then.
http://www.amazon.com/b?node=281414

Ethernet from the wall port into the switch. Then wires from the switch to your PC and whatever other devices. Very minimal loss in speed and far superior to any wifi.
Interesting! I will look into that for sure.

I still need a Bluetooth card though. Is there a downside to getting a Bluetooth/wifi combo card? I see one at Memory Express for 40 bucks, made by Gigabyte.

I still need a Bluetooth card though. Is there a downside to getting a Bluetooth/wifi combo card? I see one at Memory Express for 40 bucks, made by Gigabyte.

Have you already bought your motherboard? If not, can you find one that already has bluetooth capability?

Bluetooth USB dongles can be had for dirt cheap.

RGM79

That one is the Gigabyte wifi card with AC connectivity, right? It looks quite nice, I've recommended it in the past.

If you really think you'll use the wifi capability, then go ahead. Otherwise a cheap USB adaptor would do the trick and only take up a single USB port on the back of your PC. This IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 adaptor is cheap right now ([NCIX: $15][ME:$20]), although in the past I've gotten it for about $10 on sale.

btkadams

Have you already bought your motherboard? If not, can you find one that already has bluetooth capability?

Bluetooth USB dongles can be had for dirt cheap.
Motherboard is already purchased, yes.
That one is the Gigabyte wifi card with AC connectivity, right? It looks quite nice, I've recommended it in the past.

If you really think you'll use the wifi capability, then go ahead. Otherwise a cheap USB adaptor would do the trick and only take up a single USB port on the back of your PC. This IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 adaptor is cheap right now ([NCIX: $15][ME:$20]), although in the past I've gotten it for about $10 on sale.

Thanks guys! I'll look into these tonight when I get home from work. This thread has lots of very helpful people.

mkenyon

Banned
The i5 and i7 are fairly similar, the i7 has hyperthreading which isn't used in gaming. It is useful tough for video editing, rendering and photoshop.
It's a bit more accurate to say: it hasn't been used in gaming very much until just recently, but should also see some benefits with the jump to Dx12.

Hey all, need some help adding a graphics card and power supply to a prebuilt I'm getting:

Your Current Specs: This Asus prebuilt i5 4460, 8gb ram, garbage power supply, 2 Tb hdd
Budget: 325 CAD for gpu and power supply
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: 3 gaming, 2 emulation, 3 podcast editing, 3 general use
Monitor Resolution: 1080p, not looking to upgrade for quite a bit
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Dota2 at 60 fps, killing floor 2 at good settings, modern open world games
Looking to reuse any parts?: Everything from the prebuilt except power supply
When will you build?: Within the next two weeks
Will you be overclocking?: Nope, processor won't do it

I know, I know, prebuilt, but I get it on a purchase plan from work and wouldn't be able to afford this kind of spec otherwise. I was thinking of getting a 280 or 960 plus psu for my budget. Anything else I should consider? Thanks in advance!

Did the new AMD drivers have a negative effect on Unigen Valley? Or did something weird happen to my 290X?

I went from this...

2015-06-23%2007_05_40-Unigine%20benchmark%20results.png

to this...

The custom preset was due to comparing my scores to scores posted on another forum using those specific requirements.

Edit: Just looked at my temps while running the benchmark. Looks like I'm hitting 76C. I guess I need to reseat my GPU heatsink? How big of an undertaking is this?

Edit2: How can I tell if the NZXT Kraken G10 will fit my GPU? (Diamond 290X R2)

RGM79

Hey all, need some help adding a graphics card and power supply to a prebuilt I'm getting:

Your Current Specs: This Asus prebuilt i5 4460, 8gb ram, garbage power supply, 2 Tb hdd
Budget: 325 CAD for gpu and power supply
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: 3 gaming, 2 emulation, 3 podcast editing, 3 general use
Monitor Resolution: 1080p, not looking to upgrade for quite a bit
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Dota2 at 60 fps, killing floor 2 at good settings, modern open world games
Looking to reuse any parts?: Everything from the prebuilt except power supply
When will you build?: Within the next two weeks
Will you be overclocking?: Nope, processor won't do it

I know, I know, prebuilt, but I get it on a purchase plan from work and wouldn't be able to afford this kind of spec otherwise. I was thinking of getting a 280 or 960 plus psu for my budget. Anything else I should consider? Thanks in advance!
No worries, we understand your situation, not much you can do about it. Does that $325 budget include tax?

Given the age of the R9 280 and 280X, I'm inclined to recommend against getting them now that the R9 380 has launched and has up to 4GB VRAM, unless you want to save money as the 280 and 280X can be had for a fairly cheap price.

Looking at reviews of the R9 380, it is pretty much on par with the GTX 960. It has a slightly higher power consumption but that's probably not a big deal unless power usage is important to you. A 500 watt PSU is recommended for the R9 380 and 400~450 watts is recommended for the GTX 960. Some models of the GTX 960 and R9 380 do have silent fan modes that stop the fans at low temperatures to reduce noise, you may be interested in that.

Anyway, these are your choices. It's up to you whether you prefer Nvidia or AMD, it seems like they're mostly neck and neck performance-wise. The Gigabyte R9 380 ($280) is the lowest priced model in that list and would leave you the most money for a new power supply. It's not a low end model either, Gigabyte usually uses the G1 label for their high end version of their graphics card models.

PSU prices in Canada kinda suck. The cheapest PSU I'd recommend is the EVGA 500 watt W1 model ($36 after $10 rebate). It's basic, but it gets the job done. Otherwise for something with modular cables to keep the inside of your computer tidier, there's the Corsair 500 watt CX modular ($53 after $20 rebate). Average quality, not bad. Beyond that there are better models in terms of wattage and build quality, but they're out of your budget if you were to pick the $280 Gigabyte R9 380 (leaves you only about $55 for the PSU).

Did the new AMD drivers have a negative effect on Unigen Valley? Or did something weird happen to my 290X?

I went from this... to this...

The custom preset was due to comparing my scores to scores posted on another forum using those specific requirements.

Edit: Just looked at my temps while running the benchmark. Looks like I'm hitting 76C. I guess I need to reseat my GPU heatsink? How big of an undertaking is this?

Edit2: How can I tell if the NZXT Kraken G10 will fit my GPU?

Are you sure it's throttling from just hitting 76 degrees? That sounds normal for your R9 290X. Reference R9 290X cards hit around 92~94 degrees and well.. AMD says it is completely normal. Apparently the 290X won't throttle itself back until it hits upwards of 90 degrees, but that might just be for the reference model or those based on reference boards.

Which R9 290X do you have, exactly? I doubt you'll need to water cool it, but we'll have to check compatibility for that exact model, especially to see if it's a reference board type or not.

Crisium

I actually really like the GTX 960 vs Radeon 380 situation right now. It's a battle of power consumption vs memory bandwidth (I really feel that's the 960's major downfall). Overtime the energy bill will gradually favor Nvidia, but the extra memory bandwidth should favor AMD cards as the future becomes the present. 280X still may be king here though for raw performance, or even 280 for often being the cheapest. But as an observer I think any card (280, 960, 380, 280X) is really viable around here as long as it's not 2GB. No more 2GB for $180+ cards, please!

buhbuh

Neo Member
Im running a i5 2500K with 16GB DDR3, 512 SSD and a 770GTX 2GB card.
I want to upgrade the processor to i7 4790K,
I intend to continue gaming at 1080P. Is it worth upgrading the video card to say a 980ti?

what would be good/best card to get for 1080p gaming?

Crisium

Im running a i5 2500K with 16GB DDR3, 512 SSD and a 770GTX 2GB card.
I want to upgrade the processor to i7 4790K,
I intend to continue gaming at 1080P. Is it worth upgrading the video card to say a 980ti?

what would be good/best card to get for 1080p gaming?

People argue that anything over a GTX 970 or Radeon 290 is overkill for 1080, but I disagree. A 980 Ti would not be overkill as long as you can get more performance out of a game - max out the framerate and you can then downsample with DSR. Although if possible wait for the Fury X to launch in 2 days to see what that card has to offer compared to the 980Ti.

I know saying "wait for blah" is a never ending cycle, but $550 Fury launches next month and you may want to wait for that. It may be a worthy card in its own right worth buying and/or move GTX 980 prices down to an acceptable price compared to the 970.

All things to consider.

Are you sure it's throttling from just hitting 76 degrees? That sounds normal for your R9 290X. Reference R9 290X cards hit around 92~94 degrees and well.. AMD says it is completely normal.

Which R9 290X do you have, exactly? I doubt you'll need to water cool it, but we'll have to check compatibility for that exact model, especially to see if it's a reference board type or not.

It's a non-reference Diamond 290X V2. I bought it on sale.

I don't know if it's throttling... but what else could cause such a drastic drop in performance?

Edit: My afterburner settings

btkadams

how would i go about using a raid setup inside the new pc i'm building? what do i need to get, other than the 2 drives? i'm wanting to do 2 mirrored drives. or should i just be doing routine backups from one drive to the other? anyone have any opinions on that?

my only experience with raid is an external thunderbolt enclosure for my mac, so i didn't have to do anything aside from plugging it in.

No worries, we understand your situation, not much you can do about it. Does that $325 budget include tax?

Given the age of the R9 280 and 280X, I'm inclined to recommend against getting them now that the R9 380 has launched and has up to 4GB VRAM, unless you want to save money as the 280 and 280X can be had for a fairly cheap price.

Looking at reviews of the R9 380, it is pretty much on par with the GTX 960. It has a slightly higher power consumption but that's probably not a big deal unless power usage is important to you. A 500 watt PSU is recommended for the R9 380 and 400~450 watts is recommended for the GTX 960. Some models of the GTX 960 and R9 380 do have silent fan modes that stop the fans at low temperatures to reduce noise, you may be interested in that.

Anyway, these are your choices. It's up to you whether you prefer Nvidia or AMD, it seems like they're mostly neck and neck performance-wise. The Gigabyte R9 380 ($280) is the lowest priced model in that list and would leave you the most money for a new power supply. It's not a low end model either, Gigabyte usually uses the G1 label for their high end version of their graphics card models.

PSU prices in Canada kinda suck. The cheapest PSU I'd recommend is the EVGA 500 watt W1 model ($36 after $10 rebate). It's basic, but it gets the job done. Otherwise for something with modular cables to keep the inside of your computer tidier, there's the Corsair 500 watt CX modular ($53 after $20 rebate). Average quality, not bad. Beyond that there are better models in terms of wattage and build quality, but they're out of your budget if you were to pick the $280 Gigabyte R9 380 (leaves you only about $55 for the PSU).
Thanks so much. I think that I will go with the gigabyte 380/corsair combo. That budget was pretax and I feel pretty good about getting a 380 and a modular power supply for that price. I'm not hugely worried about power consumption.

buhbuh

Neo Member
People argue that anything over a GTX 970 or Radeon 290 is overkill for 1080, but I disagree. A 980 Ti would not be overkill as long as you can get more performance out of a game - max out the framerate and you can then downsample with DSR. Although if possible wait for the Fury X to launch in 2 days to see what that card has to offer compared to the 980Ti.

I know saying "wait for blah" is a never ending cycle, but $550 Fury launches next month and you may want to wait for that. It may be a worthy card in its own right worth buying and/or move GTX 980 prices down to an acceptable price compared to the 970.

All things to consider.

Thanks for the info. Right now I think the 980ti is a bit expensive. Im going to wait and see how the Fury X handles.

Is it worth waiting for Intel's new Skylake chips or going with haswell is well worth it?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Exactly the reassurance I needed. I mean I know we're going to need HDMI 2.1 or 3.0 and DP 1.4 to get to 120+ hz, however I just didn't know if something like 1440p +144hz would be worth it in the meanwhile. (Didn't realize we were that far off from 4k 144hz)

I'll decide between the two once I see the Fury benchmarks, I mainly want to see how far we can push the OC.

Just in case it is relevant, the gsync predator only has a single DP connector. The free sync has three DP and two HDMI. In case you will want to hook anything else up to it. Biggest downer for me as I have an nvidia card but I need at least one more DP/DVI and ideally two (for work laptop and optional PS3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom