• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGM79

help help help.

i been decided on the gtx 970. but now that amd is out with some rebrands (at 8gb) idk what to get. i need the best preformance for the price of around 400-500 dollars.
If you need best possible performance, go with the GTX 970 or 980. R9 390/390X rebadge performs about the same to ~10% higher than the 290/290X, the extra VRAM doesn't do anything unless you play at higher resolutions like 4K, and even then it's not that big of a difference in performance.

He should be able to reactivate as long as it's not simultaneously installed on both.

I'm not quite clear on the specifics of activating for Macs, but I'd have thought that once activated, the key would be tied to a hardware profile of the computer it was activated on.

btkadams

Have you already activated the copy of Windows? You won't be able to activate two copies of Windows using the same license key.
He should be able to reactivate as long as it's not simultaneously installed on both.
I'm not quite clear on the specifics of activating for Macs, but I'd have thought that once activated, the key would be tied to a hardware profile of the computer it was activated on.
Pretty sure that's only if an OEM version of Windows.
i did activate it on my mac. what's the process in deactivating it? is simply wiping that windows partition enough?

RedFalco

I would like to know if any of these bundles are worth it at ~$800-1000 range.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/CYBERPOWER-PC-Build-Your-Own-Gaming-Desktop-Bundle-Select-Processor-Case-Memory-Hard-Drive-and-more/39370676
http://www.walmart.com/ip/iBuyPower-Build-Your-Own-Gaming-Desktop-Bundle-Select-Case-Processor-Memory-Hard-Drive-and-more/40138213

I always hear that building your own pc gives you more bang for your buck and that you'll get a better pc for cheaper so that's why I was looking into these bundles since you can choose the parts and they build it for you. I just don't wanna deal with the hassle of building one or messing up or something, i dont really have the expertise. I just wanna take it out of the box and use it.

But if these bundles aren't really worth it could anyone help point out which prebuilt one would be good to buy?

As far what I would use it for it'd be for light gaming, I don't care for ultra/high settings, just wish that some games like LoL, Hearthstone, Rocket League run well. Programs like Microsoft Word, 1080p video playback and if possible maybe streaming of games.

Why walmart? I get a 10% discount there. Not sure if at other places it'd be cheaper even after that 10%, if so I wouldnt mind recommendations from elsewhere.

Thank you for your help! :)

Crisium

If you need best possible performance, go with the GTX 970 or 980.

You mean 980 Ti?

The latest TPU 1440 summary.

Most GTX 970 are still around $330. So using that as a base at 1440:

$330 970 = 91
$500 980 = 102
$650 980Ti = 127

So you can pay an extra $170 for a 12% performance gain if you go from a 970 to a 980. But if you go from a 980 to a 980 Ti, it's actually a smaller cost jump at $150 for a massive 25% performance gain. It's completely opposite of how it is supposed to be, as you are supposed to get less per dollar as you move up, but the 980 is simply overpriced when the 980Ti offers more bang per dollar.

If there's a scenario where a 980 fits in your budget but a 980Ti does not, I always say go for the 970 or an AMD comparable (290, 290X, 390). Speaking of which, 290 still offers a compelling performance per dollar option especially in the US, with the cheapest 290 is is $265 base, $235 AR. That's at least $60 cheaper than the cheapest AR 970 (Newegg). It's still a very viable option to those with a accommodating case + PSU, and don't pay above average for electricity. ;)

xkramz, I believe I told you the same thing in the Fury X thread. Stick with a 970 (or cheaper and slightly slower 290) if you cannot afford the 980 Ti. The $350-$640 range is a giant black hole filled with either no card at all or overpriced 390Xs and 980s (compared to 290 and 970).

Hmm anyone know how long shipping would take for my stuff to get to me ? Imma start getting half of my parts next week and it says 2 business days on newegg ? I guess it needs days still to process orders so maybe 3-4 days then ?

Ryne

Is there a way to test if you have a defective GPU?

I'm trying to play project cars and the game becomes a stuttering mess after about a lap through Spa with my 980 ti. I disabled my CPU overclock and had the same issue. I had the same problem with Witcher 3 when I turn on hairworks, the game just completely stutters.

Is there a test for this?

RGM79

You mean 980 Ti?

The latest TPU 1440 summary.

Most GTX 970 are still around $330. So using that as a base at 1440:

$330 970 = 91
$500 980 = 102
$650 980Ti = 127

So you can pay an extra $170 for a 12% performance gain if you go from a 970 to a 980. But if you go from a 980 to a 980 Ti, it's actually a smaller cost jump at $150 for a massive 25% performance gain. It's completely opposite of how it is supposed to be, as you are supposed to get less per dollar as you move up, but the 980 is simply overpriced when the 980Ti offers more bang per dollar.

If there's a scenario where a 980 fits in your budget but a 980Ti does not, I always say go for the 970 or an AMD comparable (290, 290X, 390). Speaking of which, 290 still offers a compelling performance per dollar option especially in the US, with the cheapest 290 is is $265 base, $235 AR. That's at least $60 cheaper than the cheapest AR 970 (Newegg). It's still a very viable option to those with a accommodating case + PSU, and don't pay above average for electricity. ;)

xkramz, I believe I told you the same thing in the Fury X thread. Stick with a 970 (or cheaper and slightly slower 290) if you cannot afford the 980 Ti. The $350-$640 range is a giant black hole filled with either no card at all or overpriced 390Xs and 980s (compared to 290 and 970).
Yeah, you're right. Even with the recent price drop, the GTX 980 still isn't a good proposition.

comrade

Is there a way to test if you have a defective GPU?

I'm trying to play project cars and the game becomes a stuttering mess after about a lap through Spa with my 980 ti. I disabled my CPU overclock and had the same issue. I had the same problem with Witcher 3 when I turn on hairworks, the game just completely stutters.

Is there a test for this?

Sounds more like throttling then a GPU issue which is usually artifacting on the screen. I would use MSI Afterburner to display an overlay and monitor your core clock and temps and see if when the stuttering starts the card is downclocking and overheating.

Vertti

Any good pc part stores near Fort Lauderdale/Miami? I'm going to buy a EVGA 980 Ti and i5-4690k from States but I need to buy them with cash. Reasoning is that I got the money as a graduation present from my grandpa few years ago.

Here is the build I'm thinking right now. Take note that I'm only buying CPU and GPU from States and everything else from Germany. Too bad pc part picker is really lacking when it comes to German computer part stores.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($96.00 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($57.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Sandisk Solid State Drive 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($54.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($679.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1255.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-21 18:17 EDT-0400

I will order from www.mindfactory.de. Other parts listed would cost 375€ + 20€ postage.

Yeah I haven't picked case yet. Any recommendations when my budget is about $100 or 100€.

EDIT. May actually buy i5-4690k from Germany too.

Do we have a MSRP for that? I guess it might match Acer's xb270hu?
Damn it .... I want info on this too ;_; i have both an acer xb270hu and two 980ti's as my last purchases but i'm having doubts about the acer monitor and hearing some mixed reviews

Hopefully more news on asus' monitor

I'm building a (semi)new build just because I want to take advantage of USB3 and get a nice new case, I've done plenty of builds for others so I feel its my time. I was going to go all out and get top of the range stuff but I realised the last game I played on my PC was Arkham Origins and it ran it at most full settings fine. I pretty much exclusively game on my PS3/4 and Vita so there's really no need of having a high end card when it will never be used. Although I would be tempted if there's a card that would be a massive upgrade for relatively low cost, seen a r9 270 for £80 but wasn't sure if it was worth it.

Just want to get an idea if there's any replacements should be made to my new build that could benefit it in any way. PC is only used for recording and listening to music, browsing and occasionally video rendering.

Old Build:

CPU: Intel Core i7 860
Motherboard: Gigabyte P55-UD3
Memory: 4GB G.skill Ripjaws 1600Mhz
HDD: Crucial MX100 256GB/Western Digital 640GB
GPU: GTX460
Case: NZXT Tempest Evo
Power Supply: OCZ ModXStreme Pro 700w

New Build:

CPU: Intel Core i5 4790k £155
Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo £19
Motherboard: MSI Z97 U3 Plus £70
Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz £33
HDD: Crucial MX100 256GB/Western Digital 640GB £0
GPU: GTX460 £0
Case: NZXT H440 Black/Blue £76
Power Supply: OCZ ModXStreme Pro 700w £0
Monitors: 2x27" Samsung 2ms 1080p £0
Other: NZXT 2m White LED Strip £9

Total: £362

Going for a Blue theme to match the case, all the cables are blue sleeved so any parts would have to match this
aN3nUi9.png
Would love to hear if there's any suggestions! Thanks

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I would like to know if any of these bundles are worth it at ~$800-1000 range.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/CYBERPOWER-PC-Build-Your-Own-Gaming-Desktop-Bundle-Select-Processor-Case-Memory-Hard-Drive-and-more/39370676
http://www.walmart.com/ip/iBuyPower-Build-Your-Own-Gaming-Desktop-Bundle-Select-Case-Processor-Memory-Hard-Drive-and-more/40138213

I always hear that building your own pc gives you more bang for your buck and that you'll get a better pc for cheaper so that's why I was looking into these bundles since you can choose the parts and they build it for you. I just don't wanna deal with the hassle of building one or messing up or something, i dont really have the expertise. I just wanna take it out of the box and use it.

But if these bundles aren't really worth it could anyone help point out which prebuilt one would be good to buy?

As far what I would use it for it'd be for light gaming, I don't care for ultra/high settings, just wish that some games like LoL, Hearthstone, Rocket League run well. Programs like Microsoft Word, 1080p video playback and if possible maybe streaming of games.

Why walmart? I get a 10% discount there. Not sure if at other places it'd be cheaper even after that 10%, if so I wouldnt mind recommendations from elsewhere.

They can't play games, so no those are horrible.

Check out one of the short build videos to see if it's not for you (it's very simple). If still no, can purchase a prebuilt like an Alienware or something

RedFalco

They can't play games, so no those are horrible.

Check out one of the short build videos to see if it's not for you (it's very simple). If still no, can purchase a prebuilt like an Alienware or something
Thank you for responding.

So then not even when buying the highest parts for those bundles are they any good?

So now I started looking here: http://www.logicalincrements.com/#
and I was looking at the "superb" range, so I can choose from any of those parts in that range and they should be compatible? And is the "superb" range decent enough or should I try to target the "excellent" range?

Could anyone give like an idea or example(layman's terms) of like what I could run or how good would the "superb" range be?

1. There are other cases you could look at. I don't know how often you need to carry around the computer, but there are cases with carrying handles like the Bitfenix Prodigy (comes in mITX and mATX versions that have identical exterior). Other cube-style cases without the admittedly large protruding handles would be the Silverstone SG09 and SG10, Rosewill Legacy W1, etc. All of those support standard power supplies and don't require overpriced small form factor PSUs.

2. The future is hard to predict. It's only been 18 months since the PS4/XB1 launched, but there doesn't seem to be any concrete evidence that future games will require more cores, just a lot of hope and "we should do that". Developers for the PS4 and XB1 are/were both limited to accessing only 6 CPU cores (source: [PS4][XB1]) and even then, it's not a given that developers will make use of all the cores available to them, not all games need it either. If you also look at Steam's hardware survey numbers, the vast majority of PCs out there used for gaming would apparently have dual or quad core processors. Most PC developers have to make the best use of their time, and deliver a game that works on as many PCs as possible. I think that's why the current trend has been to build games optimized for 2~4 cores. There are a few game engines out there that can scale up to 8 or more processing threads fairly well, but still run well on quad core systems. Also, core count isn't everything either, architecture and performance per core still counts for a lot..

There's a lot of talk about what DirectX 12 will bring to the table in terms of improved support and handling of multiple CPU cores, but so far there's nothing that has come of it.. yet.

In any case, it seems unlikely that buying a i5 4690K will bite you in the ass a few years later, games that can make use of more cores won't run poorly just because you "only" have four cores. In general, games benefit more easily from higher clock speed than extra cores because the former directly affects processing speed whereas the latter is something that the developers and programmers have to properly build into the game engine to make use of extra cores.

3. No problem, the GTX 960 and 970 are right up your alley then.

4. Broadwell might be an option for you if you really want the lower power consumption, but considering how there's not a lot of useful difference between the current 4xxx and new 5xxx models, it's definitely cheaper to just get the 4690K or 4790K and just underclock and undervolt it to get similar lower power consumption. With the right BIOS settings, you can keep the CPU in a low power state that will clock up to a higher speed when work needs to be done, similar to the stock turbo boost feature. That can also apply to overclocking.

Looking at the benchmarking results chart, it seems that all of the i7 4xxx models are overclocked, whereas the 4690K result is at stock speed. It seems that the i5 when overclocked should closely match the overclocked i7 results (the i5 4670K definitely does well). I just wanted to say that if you were to buy the i7 processor, you would still have to overclock it to achieve "A level" performance according to the chart.

Anyway, thanks for the consideration, repost your updated build here later on and some of the other thread regulars can take a look at it. I know the others definitely know more about SFF case suggestions than I do.
1. Mini-itx cases with 5.25 bays are not common due to the case and form factor if you really do want a blu-ray drive. You have two options either bump the case form factor to micro-atx or you can get an external disc reader

2. I wouldn't worry to much about scaling if these early synthetic benchmarks are to go by -

http://www.legitreviews.com/looking...mance-3dmark-api-overhead-feature-test_160936

Even AMD's benchmark shows no scaling outside 6 cores. The PS4 and XB1 don't use all 8 cores for gaming atm. PS4 has 6, whilst XB1 has 6 + iirc up to 80% or the seventh core.

3. With power consumption you can do two things I think. Go with a less power hungry parts i.e going with a 960 instead of the 970 or improve efficiency with a better rated power supply with 80+ gold or above efficiency.

4. That's not a bad idea if you really don't feel like overclocking or have no plans to in the future although the potential of going with an Z97 motherboard and K processor is wasted a bit because they are meant for overclocking ;)

Okay, thanks to the two of you, I think I've got it. How's this?

PC Part Picker link

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Micro Center)
Yes, I know both of you recommended against this processor, and I know it won't do anything for me gaming-wise, but I really love the 4 GHz stock speed. I think that'll be useful for me in the emulation, programming, and video encoding areas.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N-Gaming 5 Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($128.99 @ SuperBiiz)
This was the recommendation RGM79 gave. I am a bit hesitant because 1) I hear their EFI isn't as good as Asus's, and 2) No M.2 port, but it's no big loss.

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($51.99 @ Newegg)
Another recommendation from RGM79. I wanted 2x4 memory because of dual channel, but I feel like it won't be that much of a speed increase. Plus, I can upgrade to 2x8 in the future if I feel the need to for some reason.

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($97.89 @ OutletPC)
Also RGM79's recommendation. I'm going to have an HDD or two to go along with this.

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card ($319.99 @ Newegg)
The GTX 960 sounds great power-wise, but I save power elsewhere. Plus, 50% less graphics power and only 2 GB RAM doesn't sound so great...

Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Unlike the Silverstone case, I can put any PSU in it, and it still has an external drive bay.

Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Platinum 550W 80+ Platinum Certified ATX Power Supply ($81.24 @ Amazon)
As per Kayant's recommendation I'm going with this. Considering the massive heat my current PC's ultra cheap PSU generates, this PSU is honestly kind of exciting... Plus I'll definitely have room to overclock with it.

Total: $995.08
Under $1,000! Well, before taxes and a Windows license, haha...

I'll get a cooler other than stock in the future, if I feel I need it. (For example, if I decide to overclock).

But yeah, thanks for the help!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Only thing I'd suggest is a modular PSU to save yourself some headache on initial setup. If you aren't building immediately you can find some good 750W modular on sale for not much more.
Thank you for responding.

So then not even when buying the highest parts for those bundles are they any good?

So now I started looking here: http://www.logicalincrements.com/#
and I was looking at the "superb" range, so I can choose from any of those parts in that range and they should be compatible? And is the "superb" range decent enough or should I try to target the "excellent" range?

Could anyone give like an idea or example(layman's terms) of like what I could run or how good would the "superb" range be?
I'd fill out the bullet list in the first post of the thread, then look towards the 'Great' build. The date is old, but parts are the same (280/290/970) I would recommend now and prices of SSD are lower so you can add one. I'm looking to update it next weekend after the Fury launch.

Sarcasm

From my understanding adaptive vsync is a better choice than tripple?

So in a game I am getting like 175 FPS which can dip down to 119 (its just notice-able).

I went into my GPU panel and turned on Adaptive Sync for that process (game - *.exe).

The FPS is the same and still dips. How do I use this effectively?

Do I need to turn on v-ync in-game too?

RedFalco

I'd fill out the bullet list in the first post of the thread, then look towards the 'Great' build. The date is old, but parts are the same (280/290/970) I would recommend now and prices of SSD are lower so you can add one. I'm looking to update it next weekend after the Fury launch.
You mean this one?
Hello, so I'm looking into buying a new desktop preferably pre-built or maybe I'd consider building one but I've never done it so it makes me kinda nervous.
[Basic Desktop Questions]

Your Current Specs: none

Budget: $800(but would be willing to bump it higher if there's a big performance jump for a bit more money) and I'm in the US.

Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Well I guess as high as my budget can afford lol. I would love to able to play some games (doesn't have to be the highest specs), emulate games,stream in hd,playback videos in 1080p.

Monitor Resolution: well I'd probably just connect it to my tv, 1080p 39" if that matters.(games don't HAVE to play in 1080p, they can play in 720p or something if needed.)

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well:League of Legends, Hearthstone, Rocket League, Microsoft Word

Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 120? I don't mind 30 but if 60 is possible at my budget then I'd love that.

How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you?Don't know what any of these are but I would love to learn.

Looking to reuse any parts?:No

When will you build?: Do you have a deadline?No deadline, but I would like to do it as soon as possible.

Will you be overclocking?: Yes, No, Maybe (This means yes!)Idk. Should I? What are the benefits?

I filled it out a few hours ago but no one responded to it.

Hatchtag

Banned
Was planning on possibly starting on my first PC this week! Was hoping to get some input on what to purchase.

Your Current Specs: So terrible they're irrelevant
Budget: Roughly $500 for starters, though I fully plan to spend $250-500 upgrading it at later times.
Main Use: Mostly gaming and emulation. I would also like to watch streams at 1080p.
Monitor Resolution: It will be starting at 720p. I will upgrade to 1080p later. I'm not counting this in my upgrade budget.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: I'd like to try Day Z, DOTA 2, Diablo 3, FFXIV, and other heavy-pc games. 60FPS 720p on these would be awesome to obtain with the starter build, though 30FPS 720p would be acceptable. I'd like to eventually upgrade to something that will be able to run recent releases on high settings at 1080p 60 FPS, but I don't think that would be within the starter budget.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Aside from mouse/keyboard/controllers/monitor/headset, no.
When will you build?: I'd like to build the starter build this week if possible. Upgrades to it would happen throughout the Summer.
Will you be overclocking?: Probably not in the starter build, definitely at a later time.

Here's the starter build I was trying to fit within my budget, but it's over by $30, and that's without a videocard:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qHGzwP
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qHGzwP/by_merchant/

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($112.78 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Kingston 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($24.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: OCZ ARC 100 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($44.00 @ Newegg)
Case: BitFenix Comrade ATX Mid Tower Case ($58.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $530.74

I figured CPU, motherboard, case, and power supply were the things I would want to spend the most on to start with, and memory, storage, heatsinks, video cards and other such things could be upgraded at a later time.

I'm basically looking at input on if the best ways to cut things down to within my budget while still getting good performance and being able to upgrade at a later time. I also need suggestions on a video card. I'm also curious what tools I would have to purchase to build such a PC (screwdrivers, thermal paste, etc, and how much they cost), and how purchasing an OS works.

You mean this one?

I filled it out a few hours ago but no one responded to it.

Something like this will do.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Team Elite Plus 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290X 4GB Black Edition Double Dissipation Video Card ($276.00 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Commander MS-I ID ATX Mid Tower Case ($32.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $784.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-22 03:47 EDT-0400

Some notes:

• I sacrificed the SSD to get you better other parts, SSD is only good for decreasing load time and maybe pop-ins in big open world game but it won't give you better framerate or such. Plus you can always add it in later. This can be changed to fit one in if you desire, however.
  • This build is overclockable, which is really easy and recommended. Look up some online guides on how.
  • The video card is equipped with a good cooler, but the default fan profile is not utilising its full potential, set up one yourself to take better advantage of it.

RedFalco

Something like this will do.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Team Elite Plus 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290X 4GB Black Edition Double Dissipation Video Card ($276.00 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Commander MS-I ID ATX Mid Tower Case ($32.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $784.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-22 03:47 EDT-0400

Some notes:

• I sacrificed the SSD to get you better other parts, SSD is only good for decreasing load time and maybe pop-ins in big open world game but it won't give you better framerate or such. Plus you can always add it in later. This can be changed to fit one in if you desire, however.
  • This build is overclockable, which is really easy and recommended. Look up some online guides on how.
  • The video card is equipped with a good cooler, but the default fan profile is not utilising its full potential, set up one yourself to take better advantage of it.
Thank you so much for this, I'll look into all these parts. Btw, which parts would you say have a more volatile price change? I can probably buy most parts this week but I might have to buy the rest the next week or something like that so I'd like to know which parts would be a great deal to get now before they go up in price or something.

So what is overclocking for? Making it faster so that it can perform better?

And is there somewhere I could benchmark this build? I'd just like to get an idea of what it'd be capable of doing/playing. Like something in simple terms lol or could you give me an idea of what it'd be able to play and at what settings or something?

Sorry for the hassle, but I really appreciate your help, thanks.

GHG

Gold Member
I got my EVGA SC 980ti yesterday and its performing as expected in games/benchmarks so happy with it. Not OC'd it yet but not really feeling the need as I'm getting 60fps in the games I wanted it to (witcher 3 and PCars).

However, I'm having a strange issue... Since installed this card my computer takes ages to get past the initial bios splash screen when I turn it on. By ages I mean 2-3 minutes. Once its past that my computer behaves as normal but does anyone know what could be causing this as its quite annoying?

Anyone??

Its driving me mad!

KHlover

Banned
Anyone here who can give me impressions of the Inno3D GeForce GTX 980 iChill X4 Air Boss? Found a used one for a pretty good price on ebay (450€, bill included) and reviews I've read so far all were very positive, but of course some second opinions can't hurt :D

Vertti

Any good pc part stores near Fort Lauderdale/Miami? I'm going to buy a EVGA 980 Ti and i5-4690k from States but I need to buy them with cash. Reasoning is that I got the money as a graduation present from my grandpa few years ago.

Here is the build I'm thinking right now. Take note that I'm only buying CPU and GPU from States and everything else from Germany. Too bad pc part picker is really lacking when it comes to German computer part stores.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($96.00 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($57.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Sandisk Solid State Drive 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($54.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($679.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1255.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-21 18:17 EDT-0400

I will order from www.mindfactory.de. Other parts listed would cost 375€ + 20€ postage.

Yeah I haven't picked case yet. Any recommendations when my budget is about $100 or 100€.

EDIT. May actually buy i5-4690k from Germany too.

Could somebody say something please.

Tarin02543

What if I am not interested in SLI gpu's or fancy watercooling, would I still go for an ATX case? Or would ITX be the better choice?

SHADES

Hi PCGAF.

I recently built a new pc that I intend to overclock but I'm running into bios issues every time I change a single setting be it ram speed, cpu ratio, voltage. Once I hit save and restart I seem to loose my boot order, I get A2 & 9C errors bottom right corner of the screen then to be able to get back into windows I have to disconnect my OS drive and another drive (ssd) before it will accept the correct boot order and boot back into windows, any idea's

Specs below.

i7 4790K
MSI Z97 gaming 5 mobo
H100i
16GB corsair vengeance LP 1600Mhz
250GB SSD OS drive
240GB SSD drive (storage)
1TBH HDD drive (storage)
GTX 970 4G
EVGA 750 supernova PSU
AIR 540 Case
Win 8.1

Thanks in advance :)

UPDATE* NVM sorted it by disabling all other boot devices apart from OS drive, halfway through a 4.8Ghz run at 1.3v

Rolfgang

So what is overclocking for? Making it faster so that it can perform better?

Overclocking is boosting your hardware (GPU, CPU and more)so that it will have a longer life and squeezing more performance out of it. It does cost more voltage and will turn up the heat tough, so you need to calculate it into your PSU and cooling solutions. And if you want to overclock your CPU (the GPU and CPU are the most common to overclock) you need to have a Z-motherboard that is unlocked for overclocking and a processor (usually Intel K-processors) that is also unlocked.

It might cost a bit more, but with a little tinkering you can easily squeeze some extra years out of it, so it is a smart investment.

RGM79

Wanted to get something I could use for gaming and video editing. Put this together, any input? Not really worried about price as long as it's something that will be super fast and last a couple years.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Y4gct6

It'll definitely work out and would be great in terms of performance, but the price you're paying isn't very good. For that much money you could get a hexa core i7 and X99 PC with DDR4 RAM.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($372.95 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BL 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI X99S SLI Plus ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($172.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($97.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($679.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) ($86.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1755.75
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-22 11:31 EDT-0400

This build comes in a little cheaper but has a more capable processor and better CPU cooler, while the rest of the build has nearly equally spec'd but more cost-effective parts like the PSU and hard drive. The hexa core i7 5820K processor will in theory be more useful over the next several years than the quad core i7 4790K and last a few years longer before being considered outdated. Also, the 5820K can be more effective for video editing and encoding.

If you don't mind dropping down to a 750 watt PSU (still enough to overclock this build's CPU and GPU) and maybe pick up a slightly cheaper non-factory OC GTX 980 Ti, you could get a 500GB SSD instead and the build would come in under $1800. You could try overclocking the EVGA GTX 980 Ti yourself to get the same as the Superclocked+ edition's speeds. Here's the revised build with 500GB SSD.

Edit: first version of the build forgot the SSD.

Hmm, your parts list didn't specify a case. I wasn't sure if you forgot to or if you already had a case you'll be reusing, so I didn't include one in my list either to keep the costs comparable. If you already have a case, can you tell us what model it is? The Phanteks air cooler may not fit in it.

Could somebody say something please.

Sorry, I'm not sure if any of us are from that area.

Have you looked at http://geizhals.de/? It's much better than PCPartPicker for Germany and other EU nations, the price database is very expansive and up to date.

mkenyon

Banned
What if I am not interested in SLI gpu's or fancy watercooling, would I still go for an ATX case? Or would ITX be the better choice?
I still prefer mATX as the additional PCI-E slots can be used for a sound card, PCI-E SSD, or a host of different devices that may be helpful or wanted.

But ITX works great for most people.

Do I have all this correct?

1. Fury X is reference design only. No partners will be able to modify Fury X.

2. Fury is not just an aircooled Fury X, but is actually gimped in some manner (ROPs, shaders, etc.).

I'm between a 980 Ti and a Fury X. I've seen the leaked benchmarks, but those pitted a Fury X against a stock 980 Ti, which is a worthless comparison since the custom 980 Ti's put out by partners overclock like mad directly out of the box, let alone with some more tweaking. The current leaked reports for Fury X that I've seen are that voltage cannot be manually changed, which might significantly impact Fury X OC performance versus 980 Ti OC performance. I've seen the shots of the PowerTune that show you can tweak percentage of power, but who knows what limits AMD set on it if that is the only option.

I guess we'll see when the legitimate benchmarks come out.

Really having a hard time deciding here. I have a GTX 760 2GB, I'm going to upgrade to a 980ti or Fury X depending on benchmarks and what not. However, I am looking at monitors with some good sales going on.

I'm looking at either, 1080p rotatable 144hz Asus.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313

or the 1440p, thin bezel, ultra wide LG.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025122

Which would you guys recommend with my current/future setup and gaming? I'm really struggling with the 144hz and portrait mode, vs 21:9 1440p and extra real estate.

Really having a hard time deciding here. I have a GTX 760 2GB, I'm going to upgrade to a 980ti or Fury X depending on benchmarks and what not. However, I am looking at monitors with some good sales going on.

Which would you guys recommend with my current/future setup and gaming? I'm really struggling with the 144hz and portrait mode, vs 21:9 1440p and extra real estate.

Neither.

I don't know what your budget is, but if you are looking at a 980ti or Fury X, I'm guessing it's not insignificant. You should be looking at 1440p/4k Freesync or G-Sync monitors if you are considering those two cards. You are likely going to keep your monitor for a long time. I'd spend a couple hundred more to get an adaptive sync monitor for whatever brand of card you buy. As games get more demanding in the future, the benefit of the adaptive sync will pay for itself as your card will still be providing you great visual performance.

Vertti

Sorry, I'm not sure if any of us are from that area.

Have you looked at http://geizhals.de/? It's much better than PCPartPicker for Germany and other EU nations, the price database is very expansive and up to date.

Yeah I understand.

Just want to know did I choose good parts. I know price is huge factor but if I would order my whole build from USA would you change something? My budget ain't that strict so I can check out how much possible edits would cost when ordered from Germany. I'm mainly uncertain with my motherboard pick. Don't know too much about those.

And likewise what case would you choose when ordered from USA? I'll just pick that one and pay how much it ever will cost. Don't think the difference when ordered from Germany is that big after all.

mkenyon

Banned
Do I have all this correct?

1. Fury X is reference design only. No partners will be able to modify Fury X.

2. Fury is not just an aircooled Fury X, but is actually gimped in some manner (ROPs, shaders, etc.).

I'm between a 980 Ti and a Fury X. I've seen the leaked benchmarks, but those pitted a Fury X against a stock 980 Ti, which is a worthless comparison since the custom 980 Ti's put out by partners overclock like mad directly out of the box, let alone with some more tweaking. The current leaked reports for Fury X that I've seen are that voltage cannot be manually changed, which might significantly impact Fury X OC performance versus 980 Ti OC performance. I've seen the shots of the PowerTune that show you can tweak percentage of power, but who knows what limits AMD set on it if that is the only option.

I guess we'll see when the legitimate benchmarks come out.
I promise you, on stock BIOS, the AMD card will OC further than the 980 Ti. If you don't mind flashing BIOS, then that's a bit different.

In addition, if you really want to compare a Fury X with a non-reference card like the Hydro where thermals/noise will be similar, then you're also looking at a nearly $200 price difference.

Fury X: http://promotions.newegg.com/asus/15-2914/index.html?icid=318984

I'd suggest the Swift or the Predator XB270 for NVIDIA, but I'm not sure what you're budget is. Regardless, the price on the MG279Q is ridiculously good. Compared to a 980 Ti + 1440p/144hz G-Sync setup, you're saving $300+.

Neither.

I don't know what your budget is, but if you are looking at a 980ti or Fury X, I'm guessing it's not insignificant. You should be looking at 1440p/4k Freesync or G-Sync monitors if you are considering those two cards. You are likely going to keep your monitor for a long time. I'd spend a couple hundred more to get an adaptive sync monitor for whatever brand of card you buy. As games get more demanding in the future, the benefit of the adaptive sync will pay for itself as your card will still be providing you great visual performance.

Makes sense, but I really don't want to wait till I decide on a monitor if I'm going to miss these sales. I've heard Mkenyon and others swear by 144hz over Gsync or Freesync (if I recall correctly, I may not) just wondering what the general consensus was as I don't really have hands on experience with either 1440p or 144hz.

mkenyon

Banned
Makes sense, but I really don't want to wait till I decide on a monitor if I'm going to miss these sales. I've heard Mkenyon and others swear by 144hz over Gsync or Freesync (if I recall correctly, I may not) just wondering what the general consensus was as I don't really have hands on experience with either 1440p or 144hz.
So, people generally use the G-Sync or Freesync monikers as shorthand for saying that they are (likely) 144Hz and they also do the refresh sync for additional smoothness.

I think if you are on a tight budget that is below $500 for a monitor, then 144Hz@1080>1440p@60Hz. Getting a G-Sync/Freesync monitor at 1080p isn't really worth it if you're running a top end card, as you'll have no trouble maintaining a frame rate above 100fps where the benefits of G-Sync/Freesync are less apparent.

However, if you have a budget >$500 for a monitor, 144hz@1440p is the sweet spot for high end graphics cards right now.

I promise you, on stock BIOS, the AMD card will OC further than the 980 Ti. If you don't mind flashing BIOS, then that's a bit different.

In addition, if you really want to compare a Fury X with a non-reference card like the Hydro where thermals/noise will be similar, then you're also looking at a nearly $200 price difference.

Fury X: http://promotions.newegg.com/asus/15-2914/index.html?icid=318984

I'd suggest the Swift or the Predator XB270 for NVIDIA, but I'm not sure what you're budget is. Regardless, the price on the MG279Q is ridiculously good. Compared to a 980 Ti + 1440p/144hz G-Sync setup, you're saving $300+.

Only thing to keep in mind is that Freesync tops out at 90 Hz on that monitor (IIRC).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom