• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wheew so i just ordered the first parts of my gaming pc and newegg sent me the fedex order number to track it .. Says it is still "in transit" in the status and estimated delivery will be on thursday at 8:30pm wtf !

Is that an actual estimate accurate ?

Sorry first time ordering my parts so kind of an newbie here
The warehouse might be close to you

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
There's nothing wrong in a reference card, unless you're planning on agressive overclocking.

My friend made it sound like they perform like 10% worse than the optimized versions. Anyway I sent it back so I should get a refund in a couple days and I ordered the MSI Gaming version which may or may not be here Friday, along with a new PSU because it turns out Nvidia recommends 600 minimum and I have 520, so I got a 750watt coolermaster PSU.

My friend made it sound like they perform like 10% worse than the optimized versions. Anyway I sent it back so I should get a refund in a couple days and I ordered the MSI Gaming version which may or may not be here Friday, along with a new PSU because it turns out Nvidia recommends 600 minimum and I have 520, so I got a 750watt coolermaster PSU.

Well yes, I think some factory-OCed non-reference ones could actually perform 10 or even 15% better.

That means a couple frames more or less, it's not a game changer.

Non reference cards have better cooling thus providing more room for overclocking or better airflow in smaller builds.

Need to replace Corsair HX520W PSU.
Buckling under NVIDIA 970 pressure. *sigh* (crackling sounds under load, not surprising, after 8 years).

Need a good, reliable PSU for about 100EUR (VAT included) (500-600W range should suffice).
What brands, models should I be looking at?

Rig in question:
ASRock Z97 Pro 4
i5 4690K (nonOC, will OC later)
Hyper 212 Evo Cooler
8B RAM
ASUS STRIX 970
Crucial MX100 SSD
BDROM

Buckling under NVIDIA 970 pressure. *sigh* (crackling sounds under load, not surprising, after 8 years).

Need a good, reliable PSU for about 100EUR (VAT included) (500-600W range should suffice).

Rig in question:
ASRock Z97 Pro 4
Hyper 212 Evo Cooler
8B RAM
ASUS STRIX 970
Crucial MX100 SSD
BDROM

Your country?

NeOak

Your friend is 10% full of shit

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Your friend is 10% full of shit

so 90% speaking the truth?

gosh dangit he really convinced me that I should hold out for a non-reference version. Obviously i'm not an overclocker, and I've never been one to buy a bleeding-edge card, so I felt like kind of an idiot (still do for various reasons - I didn't even think to check power requirements beforehand).

question: I have an i5 4460 processor (3.2 ghz, non-k), is that going to be a significant bottleneck for a 980 ti? I should be okay for now, right?

brentech

If it didn't cost you anything to return it, there is literally no reason NOT to go with an optimized card that adds not only extra airflow to the card itself, but more inside the whole system.

Don't sweat it.

Gizuko

What are my best options if I want to make some use of my 120/144Hz monitor (1080p)? Currently have a 7950 Vapor-X.

I was eyeing the Fury X, but for some reason the decided to price it at 719 € - 730 € here, vs 750 € - 800 € for the 980 Ti non-reference models (MSI gaming for 765€, for example), so I'm not so sure it's my best bet given that it seems to perform better at higher resolutions.

Still, 6 GB seem a bit of a waste on 1080p, but my psu (Corsair HX 650 W) can't power, say, two 980 non-ti. Also, any recommended brands? I read the MSI and Gigabyte 980 Ti Gaming are good.

I live in Spain, so I'm browsing PcComponentes, Coolmod and Amazon Spain (amazon.es doesn't even seem to directly sell the fury nor the 980 ti) for prices and availability.

I promise you, on stock BIOS, the AMD card will OC further than the 980 Ti.

broken-heart-promise.gif

So, now that the Fury X is out and AMD has once again talked a big game and failed to back it up, looks like I am switching to the green team.

"Overclockers dream," that you would be able to "overclock like there's no tomorrow." AMD's exact words during the reveal. What a joke.

I'm excited!!!

Just bought the i5-4690K on Amazon.

That just leaves a graphic card purchase over the next two months.

EVGA 4GB GTX 960 or MSI GTX 970 with blower

I'm really leaning towards the 960 because I'm sure that I'll be upgrading my GPU again within the next 2 years once I can get a 6+ GB card for around $300.

Right now, spending $230 instead of $320 makes more sense to me. The 960 will play games at 1080p medium setting just fine. Plus, noise/heat/power is better than 970.

Man..can't believe I picked up the 4690k. :)

What are my best options if I want to make some use of my 120/144Hz monitor (1080p)? Currently have a 7950 Vapor-X.

I was eyeing the Fury X, but for some reason the decided to price it at 719 € - 730 € here, vs 750 € - 800 € for the 980 Ti non-reference models (MSI gaming for 765€, for example), so I'm not so sure it's my best bet given that it seems to perform better at higher resolutions.

Still, 6 GB seem a bit of a waste on 1080p, but my psu (Corsair HX 650 W) can't power, say, two 980 non-ti. Also, any recommended brands? I read the MSI and Gigabyte 980 Ti Gaming are good.

I live in Spain, so I'm browsing PcComponentes, Coolmod and Amazon Spain (amazon.es doesn't even seem to directly sell the fury nor the 980 ti) for prices and availability.

No reason to get a Fury X at 1080p (no reason to get one period, frankly). Like you said, 980 Ti crushes it at 1080p.

Monitor depends on your price point. If you can spend $400 to $500, you can get a good 144hz Gsync monitor at 1080p. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...er=BESTMATCH&IsNodeId=1&N=100007617 600559797

Rig in question:
ASRock Z97 Pro 4
Hyper 212 Evo Cooler
8B RAM
ASUS STRIX 970
Crucial MX100 SSD
BDROM

Are you planning to upgrade the GPU within the next two years? You're going to be fine with 3.5GB VRam?

I'm weighing the same question over the next month.

Are you planning to upgrade the GPU within the next two years? You're going to be fine with 3.5GB VRam?

I'm weighing the same question over the next month.
Nope. 970 is a beast. This rig is gf's PC (upgraded last week), I myself got a 970 day one (Gigabyte G1).
I game on TV @ 1080p and she games on 1920x1200 24" monitor. We're good for the next couple of years. 970 happily eats everything I throw at it.

Red

What's the best GPU to drive a 2K display right now? At $3-350, the R9 290x or an OCed 970 the better buy? Would like to sustain 60fps as much as possible, with all the bells and whistles. I keep putting off getting a new GPU, but I find myself having more and more issues with my 5870 as time goes on. Been lowering texture and shadow resolution for a while to keep memory use down, but that only gets you so far.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($82.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($194.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Silverstone PS10B ATX Mid Tower Case ($37.30 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec Green 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($47.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $716.17
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-24 12:54 EDT-0400

This should last me a good while, yes? I could always upgrade to an i7 down the line, and add more RAM. Is this a good card? It's been like 7-8 years since I built this current PC, been out of the game too damn long lol. Also, that PSU. It says 450w. The PCPartBuilder sites shows my build around 312W or something, so I should be good there? I don't really wanna hassle with more cooling, either. Think the included CPU fan and case fans will be sufficient?

I've also never used a mid tower before, so that will be new I guess. Anyways, look good? Any suggestions? Seems like a solid PC.

RGM79

What's the best GPU to drive a 2K display right now? At $3-350, the R9 290x or an OCed 970 the better buy? Would like to sustain 60fps as much as possible, with all the bells and whistles. I keep putting off getting a new GPU, but I find myself having more and more issues with my 5870 as time goes on. Been lowering texture and shadow resolution for a while to keep memory use down, but that only gets you so far.
The R9 290X can be had for cheaper, while the GTX 970 is capable of slightly better performance, especially when overclocked. I'd look up graphics cards benchmarks of your favorite games from sites like Eurogamer or Techspot and see which one seems to perform better.

Also, what are your specs? If your PSU wattage is somewhat low, I'd recommend the GTX 970.

Red

The R9 290X can be had for cheaper, while the GTX 970 is capable of slightly better performance, especially when overclocked. I'd look up graphics cards benchmarks of your favorite games from sites like Eurogamer or Techspot and see which one seems to perform better.

Also, what are your specs? If your PSU wattage is somewhat low, I'd recommend the GTX 970.
I have an 850watt psu.

Gizuko

No reason to get a Fury X at 1080p (no reason to get one period, frankly). Like you said, 980 Ti crushes it at 1080p.

Monitor depends on your price point. If you can spend $400 to $500, you can get a good 144hz Gsync monitor at 1080p. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...er=BESTMATCH&IsNodeId=1&N=100007617 600559797

Well, I currently own a BenQ XL2411 so even if having G-Sync would be nice, I really can't justify replacing it so soon (bought it less than 2 years ago).

I have read the 980ti tends to get CPU bottlenecked at 1080p, would it be wiser to get a 980 or 970 then? (have an i7-4790k)

mkenyon

Banned
broken-heart-promise.gif

So, now that the Fury X is out and AMD has once again talked a big game and failed to back it up, looks like I am switching to the green team.

"Overclockers dream," that you would be able to "overclock like there's no tomorrow." AMD's exact words during the reveal. What a joke.
Yo, the review drivers have voltage locked off. Still too early to tell for sure.

Well, I currently own a BenQ XL2411 so even if having G-Sync would be nice, I really can't justify replacing it so soon (bought it less than 2 years ago).

I have read the 980ti tends to get CPU bottlenecked at 1080p, would it be wiser to get a 980 or 970 then? (have an i7-4790k)

Depends on how you want to play your games. Maxed out, downsampled, etc.

I doubt a 980 Ti is going to bottleneck on a 4790k, even at stock.

Yo, the review drivers have voltage locked off. Still too early to tell for sure.

Come on. How much voltage are they going to have to pump into that thing to get performance when it is artifacting at 75 Mhz over stock? Full-load power draw is higher than a 980 Ti at stock. The only room they have is in heat dissipation.

Do you honestly think this thing will touch an out of the box G1 even with voltage? I don't, and there is no way in hell it will touch a hybrid BIOS mod. More importantly, with nothing but reference designs, we are stuck with whatever AMD designed as far as the power situation goes.

Arex

Now I'm thinking of getting the 980Ti for my first pc build instead of the 970, I'm thinking the 980ti can last me at least 2-3 years.. although both are quite overpriced in singapore..

Has there been any comparison between MSI's and Gigabyte 980Ti? Google fails me :\

Also a 750w psu should be enough right? (4790k, maybe msi gaming 5 or 7 mobo, not sure)

belushy

Banned
So I built my PC yesterday and right now I just can't get this os to install. I keep getting "restarted unexpectedly" error and the when I click okay for it to restart it just restarts and gives me the same error again. I've tried two different disc drives. Installing on a Western Digital 1tb hdd

More info: it goes through the first process of what I am assuming is copying the files to the hdd but then instantly "checks" through the install phase and restarts.

Windows 8.1 btw

In terms of cooling performance, features and price, what do you think would be more beneficial? Also, yes, roominess comes to mind as well. This is for a case.

NZXT H440
NZXT Noctis 450
Phanteks Enthoo Pro

RGM79

What do you guys use to clean your pc? I remember a vacuum like that was mentioned here but forgot the name.

You're probably thinking of the Datavac ED-500. Confusingly named, it's actually an air blower. The company that makes them also makes some ESD-safe vacuums as well in the same product line.

So I built my PC yesterday and right now I just can't get this os to install. I keep getting "restarted unexpectedly" error and the when I click okay for it to restart it just restarts and gives me the same error again. I've tried two different disc drives. Installing on a Western Digital 1tb hdd

More info: it goes through the first process of what I am assuming is copying the files to the hdd but then instantly "checks" through the install phase and restarts.

What are you using to install Windows? If it's not an official disc (USB or copied disc) you should verify the source ISO by using the MD5 or SHA-1 hash.

Now I'm thinking of getting the 980Ti for my first pc build instead of the 970, I'm thinking the 980ti can last me at least 2-3 years.. although both are quite overpriced in singapore..

Has there been any comparison between MSI's and Gigabyte 980Ti? Google fails me :\

Also a 750w psu should be enough right? (4790k, maybe msi gaming 5 or 7 mobo, not sure)

Just 2 or 3 years? You must like to play at extremely high settings and resolution if a GTX 980 Ti will be out of date that quickly. There probably isn't a lot of difference between the various AIB partner models, it's just the cooler design and factory overclock settings, if any. At most there probably isn't more than a 10% difference in performance, you can get that much yourself and possibly more if you manually overclock the graphics card yourself.

Well, MSI usually goes with their dual fan TwinFrozr design which has a zero fan speed mode at low temperatures to cut down on operating noise. Gigabyte likes their triple fan Windforce cooler which can be quite long and may not fit in some smaller cases, and doesn't have a silent mode. As far as I know, the Windforce is a somewhat more effective cooler when concerned about overclocking potential because it can handle more heat, but the MSI TwinFrozr is no slouch, either. You should be happy with either model, it will depend on whether you prefer silence and/or if the Gigabyte model will fit in the case you are going to use.

Yes, 750 watts should be enough, but what brand and model is it?

baphomet

So, I'm looking at upgrading my 2 MSI 970s to 980s. My question is will my current i5 4690k cause any sort of bottleneck for the 980s? I'm also looking at purchasing an i7 5930k in the near future, but may consider buying it first if the i5 will cause any performance issues.

Plasmid

I came in here last week asking for a few things at a smaller budget. I recently got some extra money and bought an Intel i7 4790K CPU.

My next upgrade is to upgrade my GPU from my Twin Frozr II (AMD 7800 Series) to something that has 4GB and is under $400. I wont need to upgrade it for a few months (until fallout 4) but i wanted to get some options early.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I came in here last week asking for a few things at a smaller budget. I recently got some extra money and bought an Intel i7 4790K CPU.

My next upgrade is to upgrade my GPU from my Twin Frozr II (AMD 7800 Series) to something that has 4GB and is under $400. I wont need to upgrade it for a few months (until fallout 4) but i wanted to get some options early.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

If you're ok with 3.5GB...eVGA's 970s are getting good reviews. MSI too.

Are you AMD exclusively?

RGM79

So, I'm looking at upgrading my 2 MSI 970s to 980s. My question is will my current i5 4690k cause any sort of bottleneck for the 980s? I'm also looking at purchasing an i7 5930k in the near future, but may consider buying it first if the i5 will cause any performance issues.
No bottleneck whatsoever. Why buy the 5930K? Dual x16 PCI-E lanes and 6 cores won't really add too much to your current gaming performance, probably in the neighbourhood of ~5%. The stock 5930K is sometimes actually slower than the 4790K in some games due to the 4790K having higher stock speed.

what is a reliable ssd?

Crucial is a good brand. Nothing wrong with the current BX100/MX100/MX200 lineup.

Yes it is an official disc.

If the disc isn't damaged in any way, then I'd start suspecting the hard drive or maybe the SATA ports, even the motherboard.

Arex

Just 2 or 3 years? You must like to play at extremely high settings and resolution if a GTX 980 Ti will be out of date that quickly. There probably isn't a lot of difference between the various AIB partner models, it's just the cooler design and factory overclock settings, if any. At most there probably isn't more than a 10% difference in performance, you can get that much yourself and possibly more if you manually overclock the graphics card yourself.

Well, MSI usually goes with their dual fan TwinFrozr design which has a zero fan speed mode at low temperatures to cut down on operating noise. Gigabyte likes their triple fan Windforce cooler which can be quite long and may not fit in some smaller cases, and doesn't have a silent mode. As far as I know, the Windforce is a somewhat more effective cooler when concerned about overclocking potential because it can handle more heat, but the MSI TwinFrozr is no slouch, either. You should be happy with either model, it will depend on whether you prefer silence and/or if the Gigabyte model will fit in the case you are going to use.

Yes, 750 watts should be enough, but what brand and model is it?

well, that's great then haha, I've only been using laptop till now (currently 570m) so I didn't really know much about desktop gpu till recently :D

I'll be getting Define R5, and the Gigabyte should fit, just, I think. the specs says 295mm and the R5 fits 300mm if I don't remove the hdd bracket.

For the psu, either seasonic m12II or G series. That should be good enough right? Or is there other brand or model I should consider?

VoxPop

Could someone recommend me a mobo that would fit in the Node 304? Trying to move everything over and its the last part I need. Preferably with WiFi and Bluetooth built in?

Looking to spend about 200'ish.

current specs

i5 2500k (eventually switching this out)
8GB Ripjaws
EVGA GTX 970
Corsairs 650W PSU
Hyper 212

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Can I ask why that upgrade? Those 970s will overclock to close to stock 980 speed and it sounds like a lot of money for a limited performance boost. Personally I'd wait or see if I could stretch to 980tis for a larger boost

baphomet

Can I ask why that upgrade? Those 970s will overclock to close to stock 980 speed and it sounds like a lot of money for a limited performance boost. Personally I'd wait or see if I could stretch to 980tis for a larger boost

That is another thing I was considering. I basically just want to have something that will be able to run Vive/OR with as few issues as possible. Plus, its not really going to cost me much to upgrade to the 980s. I don't want to get a ti until I can buy both at the same time.

kennah

Could someone recommend me a mobo that would fit in the Node 304? Trying to move everything over and its the last part I need. Preferably with WiFi and Bluetooth built in?

current specs

8GB Ripjaws
EVGA GTX 970
Corsairs 650W PSU
Hyper 212
P8Z77-I

If you can find one. They're pretty old now. And any chip it supports would only be slightly faster than a 2500k.

Also the Z97 boards are fantastic. Any of them would be great. But maybe you want to just wait to skylake?

RGM79

current specs

8GB Ripjaws
EVGA GTX 970
Corsairs 650W PSU
Hyper 212

Socket 1150? This ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac meets your needs and would be the lowest priced option. Gigabyte has their GA-Z97N-WIFI. There's also the Asus Z97I-PLUS. All have wifi and bluetooth.

well, that's great then haha, I've only been using laptop till now (currently 570m) so I didn't really know much about desktop gpu till recently :D

I'll be getting Define R5, and the Gigabyte should fit, just, I think. the specs says 295mm and the R5 fits 300mm if I don't remove the hdd bracket.

For the psu, either seasonic m12II or G series. That should be good enough right? Or is there other brand or model I should consider?

Seasonic is a great brand, but there might be other brands or models you may want to consider for better cost. I tend to recommend a lot of EVGA and XFX power supplies.

Hmmm, so a 4790k is a better option for gaming currently?

Edit - or my 4690k should do fine with the 980s for now?
All three of those processors will have no problem with any games. Just overclock your current 4690K it if you want higher performance, it will cost less and do more than buying a 4790K ($330) or 5930K ($560 + ~$200 X99 motherboard + $75~$150 DDR4 RAM) to run at stock speeds.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
AMD PLS JUST DELIVER FOR ONCE
MAYBE THE AIR FURY WILL BE DIFFERENT
Weird upgrades. You're getting almost nothing out of it.
Jump to 980Ti or don't jump at all. CPU isn't holding you back.

VoxPop

P8Z77-I

If you can find one. They're pretty old now. And any chip it supports would only be slightly faster than a 2500k.

Also the Z97 boards are fantastic. Any of them would be great. But maybe you want to just wait to skylake?

RGM79 said:
Socket 1150? This ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac meets your needs and would be the lowest priced option. Gigabyte has their GA-Z97N-WIFI. There's also the Asus Z97I-PLUS. All have wifi and bluetooth.

Thanks guys! I was considering the GA-Z97N-WIFI

Im currently using a P8Z68-V LX I got at Microcenter when I first built my rig back in the day. If I get one of those, will it not be compatible with the new processors or coming out or even the 4690k/4790k?

kennah

Thanks guys! I was considering the GA-Z97N-WIFI

Im currently using a P8Z68-V LX I got at Microcenter when I first built my rig back in the day. If I get one of those, will it not be compatible with the new processors or coming out or even the 4690k/4790k?
The 2xxx and 3xxx CPUs are socket 1155 and need a 6 (z68) or 7 (z77) series board.

The 4xxx and 5xxx cous are socket 1150 and need an 8 (z87) or 9 (z97) series board.

They are NOT cross compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom