• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, Microcenter always has those in-store bundle deals going on. Because the i5 4590 plus their cheapest motherboard is already about $230+, you might as well spend a bit more and get their i5 4690K plus ASRock Z97 Pro4 motherboard bundle deal for $260. Even at stock speed the 4690K is slightly faster than the 4590, and you might as well get it for the off-chance that you and your friend might look at an overclocking guide a couple of years later.

Since he'll be going to Microcenter for everything, it's kind of pointless to make a build list with parts that are priced from other retailers because Microcenter likely won't have all those parts or for the ones they do, not for those prices. Are you guys going there with the intention of probably just buying whatever is available in the local store's stock? Sorry, kind of hard to make recommendations in this situation. You and your friend might have probably already considered it, but it's definitely possible to get a stronger PC if you shop elsewhere. Here's an $850 build with an i5 4590 and GTX 970, for example. As for case compatibility with that triple fan R9 280X, you should ask someone in-store, they should be able to do a better job of looking through the cases that are available for something suitable.

The only advice I can give is that if he definitely goes for a non-overclocking processor, then he doesn't need the Z97 motherboard, look for a cheaper socket 1150 motherboard in the H81/B85/H87/H97 range. Again, specifics will depend on what's available at the store. Z97 motherboards are meant to be paired with a K series overclockable processor because of better overall support for overclocking options in the BIOS and things like betterpower delivery circuits and larger MOSFET heatsinks on the motherboard itself, although it will still work with non-overclocking processors like the i5 4590.

As far as I know, those two R9 280X cards should be more or less identical. Sapphire's own website doesn't really make any distinction between them. I don't know what the difference could be. Perhaps they're just built from different factories and the different model number codes are Sapphire's own way of telling which cards came from which factory.

Thanks for your advice! unfortunately I can't go to Microcenter with him (we live in different states) so he's on his own once he walks in the door, but I recommended buying his entire build there simply because it'd be easier, faster, and quite frankly, it's pretty satisfying to walk out of Microcenter with a cart full of parts. It might not be the cheapest move overall, but I'll discuss it with him and see what he wants to do. I'll definitely recommend to him that he checks out a mobo/i5 bundle though, since those seem to be Microcenter's bread and butter.

As for the build list, yeah, beyond the GPU and CPU I didn't mean for all of that to be super specific, more to get a general idea of what we were dealing with as far as needs and wants.

As for the $850 build you linked, I had shied away from recommending a micro-ATX build or anything, but again, I'll talk to him about it. Again, thanks for your help!

Thorgal

watching some old youtube videos and i came across this one :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iegpwo9SqSg

Putting A huge CPU cooler on a graphics card .

tubhuzk6nu5d.jpg

Now obviously this would be hard to fit in a regular case , but you would think this would be more used for the OC's on air chasers .

jimboton

You mentioned Euros.. what country are you in? We'll need to know that to find accurate prices.

Spain. But more than specific deals I want to know I'm not grossly over (or under) budgeting for the PSU or mobo or something like that. If it sounds more or less reasonable I'll just go ahead and pull the trigger.

Flandy

Computer has been on for like 4 hours. Haven't booted up a game or any video/photo editing tools. Windows 8.1
This is just on desktop using chrome, skype, steam, and a handful of other things :(
CIXGHoCUYAA7rhS.png:large

halp
:(

RGM79

Spain. But more than specific deals I want to know I'm not grossly over (or under) budgeting for the PSU or mobo or something like that. If it sounds more or less reasonable I'll just go ahead and pull the trigger.

In that case there's little you need to be afraid of. There may be cheaper power supplies than that RM750, though.

Thorgal

That's because you can get coolers like this instead:

Prolimatech MK-26.

Looks smexy

How well does it compare to regular coolers ? ACX 2.0 etc ?

Small additional question ; Would a 650w Corsair Gold be plenty enough to handle a Gigabyte 980 TI G1 card and perhaps leave some room for OC on air on stock voltage ? ?

I've gone back and forth a few times over the years. To be honest, I haven't noticed that much of a difference. But I have to say that I am not a "day 1, AAA" type of gamer. By the time I get a game generally it has been out for a while and the kinks have been worked out.

I think those are all very nice cases. You wouldn't go wrong with any of them. Watch some video reviews on youtube to compare them. I am sure Hardware Canucks has done videos on all of those.

Thanks, and after watching extensive reviews, I'll probably still go with the Enthoo Pro. So many good things for that price. Honestly, I would love the H440, especially with the black and orange (Flyers fan over here), but the limited space behind the motherboard because of the foam is pretty much a turn off. The Enthoo pro has so many fan options, easy to get to fan filters and so on.

Lexxism

Probably better off buying a tablet for that.

EDIT: Or look for parts on craiglist / ebay.
I already bought them but it is eating dust right now :(

Something like this will do.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3220 3.0GHz Dual-Core Processor ($67.98 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($54.95 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($49.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.00 @ Amazon Canada)
Case: Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case ($38.50 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX Power Supply ($34.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $293.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-25 09:34 EDT-0400

Updated mini itx build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3220 3.0GHz Dual-Core Processor ($67.98 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: MSI H81I Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($78.95 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Value 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($30.99 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case ($39.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX Power Supply ($34.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $299.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-25 09:48 EDT-0400

The mid atx build has more ram.
Thanks for that. Actually I got a spare PSU. Antec Basiq Plus 550W. I actually suck at checking specs but which one is better. This one you recommended or the current one that we have? I assume its the former.
UdzbIXF.png

I already bought them but it is eating dust right now :(

Thanks for that. Actually I got a spare PSU. Antec Basiq Plus 550W. I actually suck at checking specs but which one is better. This one you recommended or the current one that we have? I assume its the former.
UdzbIXF.png

You are asking about the PSU or the whole rig?
Either way the part(s) I listed will perform better. But to be honest, if that rig you have is still functional, I would not recommend dumping 300$ just for a not so significant boost as your current rig should handle the tasks you mentioned just fine.

I've restarted my computer since then so it's going to take a few hours for it to build it up again

I would recommend boot into safe mode, run malwarebyte see if anything turns up.

Have you tried this? It would not take long and is a sensible thing to check first. I see you have Avast but it is not very good against some types of malwares which Malwarebyte is better at detecting.

You mentioned Euros.. what country are you in? We'll need to know that to find accurate prices.

Actually, depending on your options there can be better prices. Are you limited to ordering from Amazon only, or will other retailers be OK? For example, you were looking at the EVGA Superclocked edition for $337. The slightly better EVGA GTX 970 SuperSuperclocked edition can be had for $320 after mail in rebate from NCIXUS, or $334 from Newegg.

God. I keep frickin flip flopping.

I was locked into the EVGA 4GB 960 OC...

Then I saw this MSI card and fell in love with the look of it. I've got the black node 304 which comes standard with white system fans, my cooler has a big white fan on it... the black and white contrast pops.

Unfortunately, I don't think there are a lot of that model MSI cards available and I won't be able to pick it up for another month.

The same model at newegg doesn't have the white plastic. :(

I've got everything except the GPU. (Can you believe the listed prices for Win7 32/64 Home Premium?!!)

Then I saw this MSI card and fell in love with the look of it. I've got the black node 304 which comes standard with white system fans, my cooler has a big white fan on it... the black and white contrast pops.

Unfortunately, I don't think there are a lot of that model MSI cards available and I won't be able to pick it up for another month.

I've got everything except the GPU. (Can you believe the listed prices for Win7 32/64 Home Premium?!!)

Keep in mind you won't be looking at the card unless you have a window in your case ;)

Hey guys.

So, as mentioned everywhere, my Asus H87I-Plus motherboard...to accept the 4690k cpu I've purchased, will need to have the bios flashed.

I'm building this baby in a node 304, which doesn't have disk drive.

To flash the bios I will need to ...
1) Download the new bios from Asus
2) save unzipped file to a usb flash drive
3) build the system
4) plug usb flash drive into system
5) boot system to bios (I assume it'll allow me to do this even though I don't have an OS on the system)
6) I assume that from the bios there will be an option to upgrade the bios? I direct the bios to the USB drive, update and that's it?

poutmeter

I'm finally over my denial that my GTX 560Ti is enough and had saved enough to upgrade to a newer card. The two cards I'm considering are GTX 970 and R9 390 since that's what I can afford. All I care about is being able to play games at 1080p without needing to replace the card in a couple of years -I'm not interested in higher resolution. Which card would you guys recommend in such a case?

Please note that I can only order from Amazon.

Windows 8.1
i5 4690
8GB RAM
MSI Z97 Gaming 5
EVGA 500W 80Plus

I'm finally over my denial that my GTX 560Ti is enough and had saved enough to upgrade to a newer card. The two cards I'm considering are GTX 970 and R9 390 since that's what I can afford. All I care about is being able to play games at 1080p without needing to replace the card in a couple of years -I'm not interested in higher resolution. Which card would you guys recommend in such a case?

Please note that I can only order from Amazon.

Windows 8.1
i5 4690
8GB RAM
MSI Z97 Gaming 5
EVGA 500W 80Plus

What case? What games do you see yourself playing over the next year?

RGM79

Oh, color is important? White is a rare color for graphics cards.. but Asus does make this white GTX 970 with a blower type cooler.

There are Windows 7/8/8.1 license keys being sold on reddit for the equivalent of $20 USD or less.

Hey guys.

So, as mentioned everywhere, my Asus H87I-Plus motherboard...to accept the 4690k cpu I've purchased, will need to have the bios flashed.

I'm building this baby in a node 304, which doesn't have disk drive.

To flash the bios I will need to ...
1) Download the new bios from Asus
2) save unzipped file to a usb flash drive
3) build the system
4) plug usb flash drive into system
5) boot system to bios (I assume it'll allow me to do this even though I don't have an OS on the system)
6) I assume that from the bios there will be an option to upgrade the bios? I direct the bios to the USB drive, update and that's it?

Don't forget, you also need a compatible CPU in order to flash the BIOS, so you'll need to use an older CPU. Some Asus motherboard models do not need a CPU installed to flash the BIOS, but your H87I-Plus doesn't fall under that range of models.

Lexxism

You are asking about the PSU or the whole rig?
Either way the part(s) I listed will perform better. But to be honest, if that rig you have is still functional, I would not recommend dumping 300$ just for a not so significant boost as your current rig should handle the tasks you mentioned just fine.
Just the PSU. This is from the own PC that I changed. I'm just looking around and see what $300 can do to build one since my parents says their PC is getting unbearable for them

Also, how reliable monoprice is with it comes to their SATA cable? I'm thinking of ordering if I'm planning to add an extra HDD.

poutmeter

What case? What games do you see yourself playing over the next year?

I have a Cooler Master K380 and play most AAA games that come out, so I'll probably play any big games that will be released in the next few years. I'm restricted by a third world country's paycheck, so I'm willing/have to sacrifice very high/high settings as long as I can run the game without any issues.

Oh, color is important? White is a rare color for graphics cards.. but Asus does make this white GTX 970 with a blower type cooler.

There are Windows 7/8/8.1 license keys being sold on reddit for the equivalent of $20 USD or less.

Don't forget, you also need a compatible CPU in order to flash the BIOS, so you'll need to use an older CPU. Some Asus motherboard models do not need a CPU installed to flash the BIOS, but your H87I-Plus doesn't fall under that range of models.

Are you shitting me? I can't just put the new CPU in the socket and flash? The system won't even go into the bios screen?

DAMMIT!!!!! I might as well buy a different bleeping mobo.

Been having an issue lately when some games and today it's done it on every game I've played and it's been doing it at least once a round in CSGO.

My screen just freezes and I have to alt+ctrl+delete and get to the task manager and when I go back in it's fine till it happens again. I'm not sure if it's the heat in my room, my old video card or what. This is the message I get popping up.

r7pFGyp.png

and MY Specs

Windows 81. 64 bit
i5-3570k(not OC)
GeForce GTX 650 ti boost 2 GB
16 GB ram.

I've looked online but I'm not finding a solution at all. What can be the cause of this?
Well this started again. Seems to only happen when it's really hot in my room. I downloaded CPUID and HWmonitor.

TMPIN 3 get to 95 c on CPUID

On GPU Z when I set it to Intel HD Graphics it's temperature spike to 95+

I have the shitty old fan that came with my Processor. Could It be I need to buy a better one and re apply thermal paste?

kuYuri

Well this started again. Seems to only happen when it's really hot in my room. I downloaded CPUID and HWmonitor.

I have the shitty old fan that came with my Processor. Could It be I need to buy a better one and re apply thermal paste?

I have this problem as well, it only started after I installed my GTX 970 (upgraded from a 680). It was a pre-owned card, so I suspect that has alot to do with it.

I was about to RMA, but I think I will just hold out another couple of weeks and get a 980 Ti.

One of the things that helped me stop getting this error is to set your windows theme from aero to basic. It fixes that problem, but you lose some graphical fidelity when browsing windows and I notice screen tear when watching Youtube videos.

Just the PSU. This is from the own PC that I changed. I'm just looking around and see what $300 can do to build one since my parents says their PC is getting unbearable for them

Also, how reliable monoprice is with it comes to their SATA cable? I'm thinking of ordering if I'm planning to add an extra HDD.

Well that PSU is not particularly good, but it is not bad either to power both the rigs I suggested. How long ago did you buy it?

I took another look, and to be honest I was not quite happy with the psu I recommended you. But I tried to stay really below 300 mark. If you can go over like 5-10$ you can buy this Corsair unit instead.

Also I am not quite familiar with monoprice cable, but a quick glance suggests that they are fine.

I have this problem as well, it only started after I installed my GTX 970 (upgraded from a 680). It was a pre-owned card, so I suspect that has alot to do with it.

I was about to RMA, but I think I will just hold out another couple of weeks and get a 980 Ti.

One of the things that helped me stop getting this error is to set your windows theme from aero to basic. It fixes that problem, but you lose some graphical fidelity when browsing windows and I notice screen tear when watching Youtube videos.

A quick case blowout and if possible reapplication of thermal paste will do it good.
But first, try disable Chrome's hardware acceleration in its advance settings if you use Chrome. Yes, it can happen even when Chrome is not running.

RGM79

Are you shitting me? I can't just put the new CPU in the socket and flash? The system won't even go into the bios screen?

DAMMIT!!!!! I might as well buy a different bleeping mobo.

Unfortunately, you need a compatible CPU to flash the BIOS in the first place.. and the only reason you're flashing the motherboard BIOS is to make your motherboard compatible with the 4690K. That Asus Flashback feature utilizes some kind of extra chip on the motherboard to bypass the need for a CPU at all, I think.

Well.. how old is the motherboard? Did you buy it recently or did you already have it for a long time? You may be able to contact Asus support and they might be able to arrange something to help you.. but it might cost money.

kennah

No point in ordering from monoprice just for a sata cable. Any motherboard would come with them. Hell I'd throw one in Canada post for you for free.

If your parents are complaining that computer is slow, the upgrade won't help them much. What will help would be upgrading them to an SSD and 8gigs of fast ram.

kidko

I've been away a while so sorry if this has been asked.

EVGA Power Supplies: Is there a difference between the G1 and G2 series? I see the recommended builds list G2 every time. Thx

I've been away a while so sorry if this has been asked.

EVGA Power Supplies: Is there a difference between the G1 and G2 series? I see the recommended builds list G2 every time. Thx

The G1 is an older multi-rail design and has a 5 year warranty, where the G2 is a single rail and has a 10 year warranty. The G2 is also made by Superflower I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong, and the superior tech (say it in a ironman voice).

kidko

The G1 is an older multi-rail design and has a 5 year warranty, where the G2 is a single rail and has a 10 year warranty. The G2 is also made by Superflower I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong, and the superior tech (say it in a ironman voice).

That is an awesome answer, thank you. Going G2

Well... I booted up my gaming rig this morning and logged on, then all of my USB ports stopped working. No mouse, no keyboard, nothing....

I wanted to wait until next year to upgrade, dammit.

Current build

GA-Z77x-UP7
Antec Kuhler H2O 650 AIO cooler
8GB DDR3-1600
R9-290X
Intel 530 240GB SSD
OCZ-ZT 650W Modular PSU
Corsair Air 540 case

So, do I buy as cheap as possible and wait for Zen/Skylake, or go for broke now? Decisions...decisions...

Can't find a 980 Ti Windforce in stock anywhere that isn't just gouging. Ugh.

Well... I booted up my gaming rig this morning and logged on, then all of my USB ports stopped working. No mouse, no keyboard, nothing....

I wanted to wait until next year to upgrade, dammit.

Probably not a hardware issue. Unless you need an excuse to upgrade, then, yes, it's a hardware issue.

comrade

This has actually been happening to a lot of people for awhile. It seems nvidia has finally found the reason for it and is going to release a hotfix soon.

Source: http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5106806&postcount=228

Plasmid

We'll I'm back again.

So I idiotically thought my 2 year old board would support my i7 4790k. Low and behold it does not. So now I'm forced to get another motherboard.

Can I get some recommendations? My budget is $100-120.

Oh, it also should be able to support a hyper 212 cooler.

Can't find a 980 Ti Windforce in stock anywhere that isn't just gouging. Ugh.

Probably not a hardware issue. Unless you need an excuse to upgrade, then, yes, it's a hardware issue.

This motherboard has been giving me issues lately anyway. Sometimes it'll take three or four tries before it gets to the splash screen. Then it may randomly force me into UEFI. At first I thought it was due to my overclock, so I ran at stock for a while and nothing changed.

comrade

We'll I'm back again.

So I idiotically thought my 2 year old board would support my i7 4790k. Low and behold it does not. So now I'm forced to get another motherboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0446076&PID=6149513&SID=ibctgi8tpy00ag8y00053

This is in your price range and has great reviews.

It shows a newer version but it's a micro ATX. Don't know if that matters to you.

Can't find a 980 Ti Windforce in stock anywhere that isn't just gouging. Ugh..

It's ridiculous.

Why does it seem like they only made 10 of these cards? I'd like to give them my money but right now I can't do that.

Seriously thinking about buying another card even though I really want this one because I'm getting sick of waiting.

We'll I'm back again.

What motherboard do you have? Just curious.

Unfortunately, you need a compatible CPU to flash the BIOS in the first place.. and the only reason you're flashing the motherboard BIOS is to make your motherboard compatible with the 4690K. That Asus Flashback feature utilizes some kind of extra chip on the motherboard to bypass the need for a CPU at all, I think.

Well.. how old is the motherboard? Did you buy it recently or did you already have it for a long time? You may be able to contact Asus support and they might be able to arrange something to help you.. but it might cost money.

I've had the motherboard less than 90 days, but I got it from Newegg. I'm going to end up having to blow an additional $50 on ebay to get a Pentium G3250 just to flash it.

Reading is fundamental I guess. I can probably flip the P3250 for $25 plus shipping...so...I lose about $30 total because I didn't do enough research.

Not really wanting to build a new PC yet (I will wait for Pascal) but whats the smallest case for a SLI combination? I am kinda sick of big towers. Would a bitfenix Prodigy be okay for that?

Armaly

Can anyone here recommend me a good internal sound card? I'm trying to listen to my friends on ts while playing console games so I decided on using spdif cable to connect my tv to my dac and a usb to connect my pc to my dac. Problem is my dac only plays one input at a time. I was able to use red and white cables and a 3.5 mm converter to connect it via line in to my mobo and sent everything to my dac but I could hear a ton of white noise from the tv. The spdif in cable eliminated the white noise so it seems like the best option for me. So i'm looking for a good internal pci sound card that has a spdif in port. Don't really want something too pricey but i'm willing to splurge. Thanks!

It's ridiculous.

Why does it seem like they only made 10 of these cards? I'd like to give them my money but right now I can't do that.

Seriously thinking about buying another card even though I really want this one because I'm getting sick of waiting.

Resellers are buying them up the second they are available and then trying to turn a $200 profit on them. I've got auto-notify setup, but someone else always snipes them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom