• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well now that I've seen the Fury X reviews I've decided to go for the 980 Ti Gigabyte G1.

The only problem now is that it's apparently only sold at Newegg and it's out of stock.

Guess I'll have to wait quite a bit longer to build even though the rest of my parts are all here. :(

VoxPop

The 2xxx and 3xxx CPUs are socket 1155 and need a 6 (z68) or 7 (z77) series board.

The 4xxx and 5xxx cous are socket 1150 and need an 8 (z87) or 9 (z97) series board.

They are NOT cross compatible.

ah, thats a shame. I guess I'm gonna have to wait and upgrade the processor at the same time then :(

VoxPop

Yeah. You may as well wait for skylake,

Or get a g3258 Pentium.

Or go balls out and get a 5820k and the asrock X99E-ITX and ddr4

my 2500k is still chugging along nicely so I don't really see a need to upgrade the CPU unless I will be getting huge noticeable gains. I just wanted to move everything to a smaller micro atx tower to save some desk space =(

kennah

my 2500k is still chugging along nicely so I don't really see a need to upgrade the CPU unless I will be getting huge noticeable gains. I just wanted to move everything to a smaller micro atx tower to save some desk space =(
I hear ya. Had to do the long difficult transition two years ago. But now nothing but itx. Looove the node 304

It has been done. Let me know what you think, I'm stoaked to move onto iTX and the TI!

i7 4790k
Gigabyte z97n gaming 5 mini iTX
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv iTX
16GB Ripjaws
750W Corsair Fully Modular PSU 80+ Gold
MSI 6G GTX 980ti twin frozr 3
Corsair AIO cooler
1440p 144hz monitor (So I'm not locked into either adaptive sync solution)
Re-using my SSDs and HDD
Total cost with monitor ~ $1850

EDIT: Guess it is a freesync monitor somehow didn't see that. Welp, even though it's inferior to gsync, I hope Nvidia at least adds the capability to their next cards or preferably previous series. Also got the price slightly wrong somehow

terrisus

Hah, I finally finished putting together my desktop build, which was essentially a cheap backup build, put together from random parts, and compared it to my laptop.

Here's what I ended up doing for my Desktop:

Motherboard: M5A78L-M LX Plus - Trade for a couple of Dreamcast games with an awesome GAFfer
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965 - Trade for a couple of Dreamcast games with an awesome GAFfer
Graphics card: GeForce GT 640 2GB - Trade for a couple of Dreamcast games with an awesome GAFfer
Power Supply: 400w Dynex - $20 from another awesome GAFfer (yeah, I know, not the best PSU... but, seems to do the job)
Solid State Drive: 240GB Samsung SSD - My father had laying around and wasn't using
RAM: 2x4GB (8GB total) Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB Kit (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 CL10 DIMM - $53 from Amazon
Wireless: TP-LINK TL-WN781ND Wireless N150 PCI Express Adapter - $12.50 from Amazon
Optical: 24X DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Burner - $24 from Amazon
Case: Sentey Gs-6007 Cyberia Gaming Computer Case - $35 from Amazon
Power cord: 6ft Belkin - $8.30 from Amazon
DVI cable: $6.15 from Amazon

So, right around $160, plus a couple of Dreamcast games (which, to be fair, were of decent value).

And it's virtually right on par with my laptop, which is (not exact info, just general idea)
Processor: Intel i7 Quad-Core
Graphics: GeForce 650m 2GB
RAM: 8GB
Hard Drive: Intel mSATA SSD

On the basic 3DMark I ran, I got:

Firestrike:
Desktop: 1467
Laptop: 1464

Sky Diver:
Desktop: 5087
Laptop: 5036

Cloud Gate:
Desktop: 6828
Laptop: 7600

Ice Storm:
Desktop: 69421
Laptop: 58919

So, yeah, for a cheap backup computer, I'm pretty darn happy.

Future to-do list:
A whole bunch more hard drives
A better power supply

Even though I made my mind up on getting a Classified 980 Ti, it's a shame about Fury X. I may have an Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU, but I don't hold any brand loyalty. Companies don't give a shit about you, so you shouldn't give a shit about them. I only want the best performance, that's all.

Only good thing about Arkham Knight being a bust of a PC port is that it's making my 980 Ti wait less hard. My Steam backlog is also thankful.

ElTopo

Banned
Budget is roughly $800 and I really don't want to go over that. The only thing I want is something that can run Alien Isolation on Ultra settings, do video editing, and is a little future proof. I definitely need to upgrade when Street Fighter 5 and Killer Instinct come out.

Edit: I've been looking through pcpartpicker.com

RGM79

Budget is roughly $800 and I really don't want to go over that. The only thing I want is something that can run Alien Isolation on Ultra settings, do video editing, and is a little future proof. I definitely need to upgrade when Street Fighter 5 and Killer Instinct come out.

Got any parts from an old PC to reuse like storage drives, the case, or power supply? What country are you in?

I am kind of considering switching my graphics from Nvidia to AMD (would be from a 780 Ti to R9 290 or 390). Does anyone who has switched from Nvidia to AMD (or vice versa) have any insight on whether or not that would be a good decision? How are AMD's drivers and typical developer support?

Oh shit ... The first parts of gaming computer has arrived at the local fedex facility ;_;

Hype! Seems it is still in "in transit" and in thr facility being sorted

Any chance it might come later on ?

Also my other fucking part is still in in indianapolis wtf

ombz

Well now that I've seen the Fury X reviews I've decided to go for the 980 Ti Gigabyte G1.

The only problem now is that it's apparently only sold at Newegg and it's out of stock.

Guess I'll have to wait quite a bit longer to build even though the rest of my parts are all here. :(

Keep a tab open with nowinstock. The G1 has been going in and out quite frequently.

Looks like I'm going to have to pull an old yeller on my sound card( ok not really). Still the thing has been acting up over the past few weeks; the driver would stop working — no sound and I couldn't test sound or open creative control panel without getting some weird error. A quick remedy was to uninstall the driver, restart, reinstall driver and sound again!......then it happened yesterday again for the 4th time. So I was like fuck it and just switched over to on board sound.

The card is a sound blaster xi-fi xtreme gamer. I've had it for like 8 years now and it has served me well, but it will be my last dedicated sound card.

Flandy

Pretty sure I've got a memory leak. After a few hours of using my computer I notice some slowdown. I open up task manager to see whats up and I'll be using 6GB+ of RAM even though I hadn't opened a game since I turned my computer on. I don't use photoshop or any video editing tools either. Eventually a my monitor will eventually turn black, go into standby mode, and then when I bring it out of that it'll freak the fuck out and flicker.

Don't know if those two problems are related or not. Anyone know how to determine if I have a memory leak and where it's coming from? I'm on Windows 8.1

My setup
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GHpcrH

RGM79

I am kind of considering switching my graphics from Nvidia to AMD (would be from a 780 Ti to R9 290 or 390). Does anyone who has switched from Nvidia to AMD (or vice versa) have any insight on whether or not that would be a good decision? How are AMD's drivers and typical developer support?

That's more of a side-grade than an upgrade, they have similar performance in general. Of course, specific performance varies by the game, you'll need to look up benchmarks for that game to see what you should be expecting.

Well.. there's a general notion that AMD's drivers aren't as good as Nvidia. I'm not totally sure how accurate that is, a lot of it happens to be anecdotal experience and sometimes part of the blame could go to the user, not just "lol AMD has bad drivers".

Developer support varies from game to game. Nvidia has been accused of poor business practices involving possibly paying developers to work more on Nvidia support or not work as much on AMD support, but claims of that nature are always difficult to prove.

I suppose the only concrete thing is research. Look at the games you want to play and find some graphics card benchmarks for them, like this article on the Witcher 3. Even then, performance can change over time. New drivers and game patches can change how well certain graphics cards can perform, and older graphics cards gradually lose support over time as focus shifts to keeping newer generations of graphics cards better performing rather than spend extra time and effort optimizing games for a graphics card that may be several generations old.

Pretty sure I've got a memory leak. After a few hours of using my computer I notice some slowdown. I open up task manager to see whats up and I'll be using 6GB+ of RAM even though I hadn't opened a game since I turned my computer on. I don't use photoshop or any video editing tools either. Eventually a my monitor will eventually turn black, go into standby mode, and then when I bring it out of that it'll freak the fuck out and flicker.

Don't know if those two problems are related or not. Anyone know how to determine if I have a memory leak and where it's coming from? I'm on Windows 8.1

My setup
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GHpcrH

What programs are taking up the most memory? Check Task Manager or Resource Monitor, keep them open on startup and check the results after the leaks have been around for a while.

ElTopo

Banned

Yeah, I do. I live in the U.S.

Er, anyone?

RGM79

Er, anyone?

Weird, I thought I replied but I must have left out my reply to you when I was merging posts. What parts do you have to reuse?

Here's a normal "best bang for your buck" build, anything you have to reuse will bring down the costs or allow you to choose more expensive components elsewhere.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($95.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 290 4GB PCS+ Video Card ($242.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($43.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $792.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-24 23:33 EDT-0400

Flandy

That's more of a side-grade than an upgrade, they have similar performance in general. Of course, specific performance varies by the game, you'll need to look up benchmarks for that game to see what you should be expecting.

Well.. there's a general notion that AMD's drivers aren't as good as Nvidia. I'm not totally sure how accurate that is, a lot of it happens to be anecdotal experience and sometimes part of the blame could go to the user, not just "lol AMD has bad drivers".

Developer support varies from game to game. Nvidia has been accused of poor business practices involving possibly paying developers to work more on Nvidia support or not work as much on AMD support, but claims of that nature are always difficult to prove.

I suppose the only concrete thing is research. Look at the games you want to play and find some graphics card benchmarks for them, like this article on the Witcher 3. Even then, performance can change over time. New drivers and game patches can change how well certain graphics cards can perform, and older graphics cards gradually lose support over time as focus shifts to keeping newer generations of graphics cards better performing rather than spend extra time and effort optimizing games for a graphics card that may be several generations old.

What programs are taking up the most memory? Check Task Manager or Resource Monitor, keep them open on startup and check the results after the leaks have been around for a while.

Maybe this can help?
18947719998_6d27bf5683_b.jpg

Ram usage is just gradually increasing. iirc I was at around 2GB on a fresh boot

ElTopo

Banned
Weird, I thought I replied but I must have left out my reply to you when I was merging posts. What parts do you have to reuse?

Here's a normal "best bang for your buck" build, anything you have to reuse will bring down the costs or allow you to choose more expensive components elsewhere.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($95.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 290 4GB PCS+ Video Card ($242.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($43.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $792.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-24 23:33 EDT-0400

Definitely the PSU and a Hard Drive. Possibly the RAM. My PSU is only 550W though. And I heard the Z97 motherboards are better, I was wondering by how much?

appaws

Banned

I've gone back and forth a few times over the years. To be honest, I haven't noticed that much of a difference. But I have to say that I am not a "day 1, AAA" type of gamer. By the time I get a game generally it has been out for a while and the kinks have been worked out.

In terms of cooling performance, features and price, what do you think would be more beneficial? Also, yes, roominess comes to mind as well. This is for a case.

NZXT H440
NZXT Noctis 450
Phanteks Enthoo Pro

I think those are all very nice cases. You wouldn't go wrong with any of them. Watch some video reviews on youtube to compare them. I am sure Hardware Canucks has done videos on all of those.

Hey guys, you all helped me build a PC last summer and now my friend is sick of his Alienware laptop and needs some help with a build. I've helped him a bit, but I'm not as knowledgeable as you folk, so here we go:

PARTS LIST:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($159.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($88.75 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($50.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Vapor-X Video Card ($234.00)
Case: Corsair SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($52.00 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VS228H-P 21.5" Monitor ($126.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $812.70
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-24 23:47 EDT-0400

Budget: He doesn't want to go over $900, including a monitor, which is fair.

Main use: Pretty much strictly gaming/web browsing. No video editing or anything to that degree.

Resolution: Aiming for 1080p/60FPS.

When will you build?: Within a couple of weeks.

Overclocking?: No sir.

Prices from that list certainly aren't final, since he's going to be doing his shopping in-store at Microcenter, but it helps to get a general idea of what he's got. Also, if he's anything like me, he'll end up with some totally different parts because of whatever in-store deal microcenter has going on at the time. I went to MS for a 4590 and I came back with a 4670k because it was a bundle deal with the motherboard I wanted.

We've struggled looking for a cheap case that will fit that 280x, since it seems to be pretty large, and he doesn't want to remove hard drive cages because he's scared he might need them later. Which is silly, but I guess a valid concern for a newbie.

Also, he wanted to know the difference between THIS and THIS. Now, I couldn't tell him, and was hoping someone here might know. The model numbers are different, and that's all the info I can glean from the web pages.

So, what do you guys think? Is it a build in good shape? anything he should improve? anything he's going for too much on? I'm personally mainly concerned that he could do better in the graphics card department, especially since the Fiji cards just hit, but who knows.

What do you guys use to clean your pc? I remember a vacuum like that was mentioned here but forgot the name.

I bought a small $140 airbrush air compressor thing cos I wanted to paint something. . . didn't end well and now it's just a glorfied PC duster. I actually save money buying any air duster cans, but don't think I'll ever make my $140 back in savings from air duster cans for some time.

Fucking cool piece of kit tho.

RGM79

Maybe this can help?
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/347/18947719998_6d27bf5683_b.jpg
Ram usage is just gradually increasing. iirc I was at around 2GB on a fresh boot

Sorry, I have no idea.

Definitely the PSU and a Hard Drive. Possibly the RAM. My PSU is only 550W though. And I heard the Z97 motherboards are better, I was wondering by how much?

Sorry, but can you tell me what brand and model you have for those items? It'll be easier to tell if they're worth keeping. Actually, 550 watts is not bad, it's still enough for the the rest of the PC build list. I only chose the 750 watt model because it offered good build quality and high wattage for its cost. If your current power supply is very old or is not very good quality, you may want to replace it.

Yes, I recommended a Z97 motherboard because they are meant to be the higher end mainstream option (as opposed to the cheaper mainstream H81/H97/etc) and are capable of handling moderate overclocking very well..

Hey guys, you all helped me build a PC last summer and now my friend is sick of his Alienware laptop and needs some help with a build. I've helped him a bit, but I'm not as knowledgeable as you folk, so here we go:

PARTS LIST:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($159.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($88.75 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($50.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Vapor-X Video Card ($234.00)
Case: Corsair SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($52.00 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VS228H-P 21.5" Monitor ($126.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $812.70
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-24 23:47 EDT-0400

Budget: He doesn't want to go over $900, including a monitor, which is fair.

Main use: Pretty much strictly gaming/web browsing. No video editing or anything to that degree.

Resolution: Aiming for 1080p/60FPS.

When will you build?: Within a couple of weeks.

Overclocking?: No sir.

Prices from that list certainly aren't final, since he's going to be doing his shopping in-store at Microcenter, but it helps to get a general idea of what he's got. Also, if he's anything like me, he'll end up with some totally different parts because of whatever in-store deal microcenter has going on at the time. I went to MS for a 4590 and I came back with a 4670k because it was a bundle deal with the motherboard I wanted.

We've struggled looking for a cheap case that will fit that 280x, since it seems to be pretty large, and he doesn't want to remove hard drive cages because he's scared he might need them later. Which is silly, but I guess a valid concern for a newbie.

Also, he wanted to know the difference between THIS and THIS. Now, I couldn't tell him, and was hoping someone here might know. The model numbers are different, and that's all the info I can glean from the web pages.

So, what do you guys think? Is it a build in good shape? anything he should improve? anything he's going for too much on? I'm personally mainly concerned that he could do better in the graphics card department, especially since the Fiji cards just hit, but who knows.

Yeah, Microcenter always has those in-store bundle deals going on. Because the i5 4590 plus their cheapest motherboard is already about $230+, you might as well spend a bit more and get their i5 4690K plus ASRock Z97 Pro4 motherboard bundle deal for $260. Even at stock speed the 4690K is slightly faster than the 4590, and you might as well get it for the off-chance that you and your friend might look at an overclocking guide a couple of years later.

Since he'll be going to Microcenter for everything, it's kind of pointless to make a build list with parts that are priced from other retailers because Microcenter likely won't have all those parts or for the ones they do, not for those prices. Are you guys going there with the intention of probably just buying whatever is available in the local store's stock? Sorry, kind of hard to make recommendations in this situation. You and your friend might have probably already considered it, but it's definitely possible to get a stronger PC if you shop elsewhere. Here's an $850 build with an i5 4590 and GTX 970, for example. As for case compatibility with that triple fan R9 280X, you should ask someone in-store, they should be able to do a better job of looking through the cases that are available for something suitable.

The only advice I can give is that if he definitely goes for a non-overclocking processor, then he doesn't need the Z97 motherboard, look for a cheaper socket 1150 motherboard in the H81/B85/H87/H97 range. Again, specifics will depend on what's available at the store. Z97 motherboards are meant to be paired with a K series overclockable processor because of better overall support for overclocking options in the BIOS and things like betterpower delivery circuits and larger MOSFET heatsinks on the motherboard itself, although it will still work with non-overclocking processors like the i5 4590.

As far as I know, those two R9 280X cards should be more or less identical. Sapphire's own website doesn't really make any distinction between them. I don't know what the difference could be. Perhaps they're just built from different factories and the different model number codes are Sapphire's own way of telling which cards came from which factory.

Arex

Seasonic is a great brand, but there might be other brands or models you may want to consider for better cost. I tend to recommend a lot of EVGA and XFX power supplies.

I can't find them on my local retailers' price lists, but I'll keep that in mind, might find them when I go and do my build.

Croatia.

Can order from Alzashop (good store, free shipping over 100EUR) or locally here in Croatia.
Looking at EVGA Supernova G2 550W, but it isn't out yet in the places I looked. It was announced only recently.

I just realized that I forgot to get back to you. My bad, I was at work. In fact I am at work now too.

A quick glance I can see this Seasonic unit which is quite old already but still very very good. Quite hefty though at 90€.

Sorry I can't take a more closer look at other brand with so little break time. Perhaps RGM can step in and take a look at some other units here? A quick look doesn't bring anything very good to mind.

Speaking of which, RGM how is your new job going on? Are you gonna have enough time to do the god work here?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That is another thing I was considering. I basically just want to have something that will be able to run Vive/OR with as few issues as possible. Plus, its not really going to cost me much to upgrade to the 980s. I don't want to get a ti until I can buy both at the same time.

My personal recommendation? Sit on your hands and your wallet. SLI 970s should be fine for Vive/OR for a decent amount of time. And your CPU is fine.

Time lets you see just how demanding VR games are, will give you time to see how AMD and Nvidia's VR SLI driver options are (maybe one is amazing, maybe one is busted, who knows?), and more importantly, allows prices of GPUs to reduce and potentially new ones to come out.

I would think you could comfortably manage with your SLI 970s until you see how HBM 2 is looking on AMD and until Pascal on Nvidia.

RGM79

Croatia.

Can order from Alzashop (good store, free shipping over 100EUR) or locally here in Croatia.
Looking at EVGA Supernova G2 550W, but it isn't out yet in the places I looked. It was announced only recently.
I just realized that I forgot to get back to you. My bad, I was at work. In fact I am at work now too.

A quick glance I can see this Seasonic unit which is quite old already but still very very good. Quite hefty though at 90€.

Sorry I can't take a more closer look at other brand with so little break time. Perhaps RGM can step in and take a look at some other units here? A quick look doesn't bring anything very good to mind.

Here's what I found that's decent and fits the requirements (500 watts or more, OK to decent brand/manufacturer). They're listed in order of cost.

https://m.alzashop.com/evga-500w-power-supply-d520272.htm

https://m.alzashop.com/evga-600b-bronze-d520297.htm

https://m.alzashop.com/seasonic-m12ii-520-bronze-d167083.htm

https://m.alzashop.com/seasonic-s12ii-620-d457142.htm

https://m.alzashop.com/cooler-master-650w-gm-d487381.htm

Sorry for the mobile links and lack of formatting, I'm not on a PC at the moment.

Speaking of which, RGM how is your new job going on? Are you gonna have enough time to do the god work here?
The job is great. There's always something to do for work as I'm always assigned to some order, but it's reasonable enough that I can check in on this thread pretty often and chime in while I'm running a bunch of PCs on stress testing and software deployment.

Here's what I found that's decent and fits the requirements (500 watts or more, OK to decent brand/manufacturer). They're listed in order of cost.

https://m.alzashop.com/evga-500w-power-supply-d520272.htm

https://m.alzashop.com/evga-600b-bronze-d520297.htm

https://m.alzashop.com/seasonic-m12ii-520-bronze-d167083.htm

https://m.alzashop.com/seasonic-s12ii-620-d457142.htm

https://m.alzashop.com/cooler-master-650w-gm-d487381.htm

Sorry for the mobile links and lack of formatting, I'm not on a PC at the moment.
Thanks! Much appreciated! :)

The job is great. There's always something to do for work as I'm always assigned to some order, but it's reasonable enough that I can check in on this thread pretty often and chime in while I'm running a bunch of PCs on stress testing and software deployment.

That is good to hear. Otherwise we would just call this a good run and abandon ship altogether. :p

Lexxism

Is C$300 enough to make a PC for surfing net, youtube, email and stuff? I'm thinking of giving my parents a new one since their current one is shitty. Maybe an ITX build.

The_Poet

Banned
Is C$300 enough to make a PC for surfing net, youtube, email and stuff? I'm thinking of giving my parents a new one since their current one is shitty. Maybe an ITX build.

Probably better off buying a tablet for that.

EDIT: Or look for parts on craiglist / ebay.

Something like this will do.

CPU: Intel Pentium G3220 3.0GHz Dual-Core Processor ($67.98 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($54.95 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($49.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.00 @ Amazon Canada)
Case: Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case ($38.50 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX Power Supply ($34.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $293.40
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-25 09:34 EDT-0400

Updated mini itx build:

CPU: Intel Pentium G3220 3.0GHz Dual-Core Processor ($67.98 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: MSI H81I Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($78.95 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Value 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($30.99 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case ($39.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX Power Supply ($34.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $299.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-25 09:48 EDT-0400

The mid atx build has more ram.

RGM79

Does the g1 gigabyte 980ti fit in an air240?

I know the g1 970 does.

If the GTX 970 G1 Gaming (312mm) fits, then the shorter GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming (295mm) will definitely fit. Corsair themselves claim a maximum of 290mm GPU length, but I guess they want to err on the side of caution in case users may want to install a radiator at the front.

http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/corsair_carbide_air_240_review,8.html
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showpost.php?p=744545&postcount=2

jimboton

Help me save some €€€, oh hardware savvy GAF!

I’m building an I7 4790K + 980 Ti based machine. For gaming. Little or no OC’ing and no SLI’ing at all in mind. Only concerns are power and reliability.

These are same ‘safe’ choices I’ve come up for CPU cooling, PSU and motherboard.

COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO

Corsair RM750 750W 80 Plus Gold Modular

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Socket LGA 1150

But my question is, are there any better or equivalent and cheaper choices out there?

I’m building an I7 4790K + 980 Ti based machine. For gaming. Little or no OC’ing and no SLI’ing at all in mind. Only concerns are power and reliability.

These are same ‘safe’ choices I’ve come up for CPU cooling, PSU and motherboard.

But my question is, are there any better or equivalent and cheaper choices out there?

Better question is what type of case is this going into? Just to make sure there no space issues for the 212. As for the PSU, not a fan of Corsair PSU's but that's just me. I would recommend the EVGA SuperNova 750. Same pricing, rated higher - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=EVGA_SuperNOVA_750_G2-_-17-438-017-_-Product

Some alternative mobos, since you aren't looking at overclocking:

MSI Z97 PC Mate LGA 1150
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-GAMING 3
GIGABYTE GA-Z97-HD3

daxy

Until tomorrow, based on the mobo and processor you buy you can get a around 50 euros cashback:

www.toptechcashback.com

Read the conditions carefully, see if the country you live in is one of the eligible countries. Also, both mobo and processor need to be bought at the same store on the same day.

StuffRuff

Apologies if this is a much repeated question, I did try to have a quick search around.

Given the release of all of Nvidia and AMD's top cards now, I need to upgrade from my MSI 7850 twin frozr and going from TechPowerUp's dollar per performance chart I guess that the 970 is still the best bang for my buck card? I would prefer to return to Nvidia if I can.

I can get a 970 for about £270 and to be honest I wouldn't want to pay much more than that. But has the release of the 980ti made the 980 any more of a bargain? Or is the 970 still the magic price for performance point?

Apologies if this is a much repeated question, I did try to have a quick search around.

Given the release of all of Nvidia and AMD's top cards now, I need to upgrade from my MSI 7850 twin frozr and going from TechPowerUp's dollar per performance chart I guess that the 970 is still the best bang for my buck card? I would prefer to return to Nvidia if I can.

I can get a 970 for about £270 and to be honest I wouldn't want to pay much more than that. But has the release of the 980ti made the 980 any more of a bargain? Or is the 970 still the magic price for performance point?

The release of the 980ti has essentially made the standard 980 irrelevant. Go for the 970 and overclock it to near 980 levels if that's your price range. If you can spare some more, the 980ti is a fantastic card.

jimboton

Better question is what type of case is this going into? Just to make sure there no space issues for the 212. As for the PSU, not a fan of Corsair PSU's but that's just me. I would recommend the EVGA SuperNova 750. Same pricing, rated higher - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=EVGA_SuperNOVA_750_G2-_-17-438-017-_-Product

Some alternative mobos, since you aren't looking at overclocking:

MSI Z97 PC Mate LGA 1150
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-GAMING 3
GIGABYTE GA-Z97-HD3
It's a NZXT H440. Are there no important differences between those mobos and mine asides from oc capabilities? Differences in sound output perhaps?

RGM79

It's a NZXT H440. Are there no important differences between those mobos and mine asides from oc capabilities? Differences in sound output perhaps?

You mentioned Euros.. what country are you in? We'll need to know that to find accurate prices.

Definitely not! The AMD card was on sale when I bought it a few years ago. The 970 looks good on amazon at $337. But it's a 4GB?

Actually, depending on your options there can be better prices. Are you limited to ordering from Amazon only, or will other retailers be OK? For example, you were looking at the EVGA Superclocked edition for $337. The slightly better EVGA GTX 970 SuperSuperclocked edition can be had for $320 after mail in rebate from NCIXUS, or $334 from Newegg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom