• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red

I think I'm going to try prostituting myself to afford a 980ti g1. I keep looking at benchmarks and drooling. I hate this rabbit hole.

Thanks but the problem with cards in the air 240 is the width not the length, some cards like the msi970 twin frozer stick out on Tue side too much and you can't put the side panel on or its touching it when it is.

The 970g1 doesn't so I was wondering if the 980ti version didn't either.

My bad should have clarified more.

Asus H61m- PLUS.

LOL...you're hosed like me. I bought the H87I-Plus off Newegg less than 90 days ago. Come to find out the board is 2 years old. After I purchased (probably the last one they had) a week later it was marked as out of stock and referenced a newer board.

Now I'm worried that even if I try to flash the board what if something is wrong with this one?

I just sent an email to Asus but who knows what the hell they are going to do.

Plasmid

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0446076&PID=6149513&SID=ibctgi8tpy00ag8y00053

This is in your price range and has great reviews.

It shows a newer version but it's a micro ATX. Don't know if that matters to you.

Thanks! I'm going to take this one. It looks great. It's also compatible with my case and everything else. Thank you! :D

LOL...you're hosed like me. I bought the H87I-Plus off Newegg less than 90 days ago. Come to find out the board is 2 years old. After I purchased (probably the last one they had) a week later it was marked as out of stock and referenced a newer board.

Now I'm worried that even if I try to flash the board what if something is wrong with this one?

I just sent an email to Asus but who knows what the hell they are going to do.

What's really shitty is that i bought this board as an emergency backup when my old board fried out. You get when you pay for i suppose.

LilJoka

Building this for my mate

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£135.00)
CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 45.0 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler (£16.95 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£79.16 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£39.89 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£47.79 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£37.44 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (£210.00)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£64.99 @ Novatech)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£46.99 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £678.21
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-26 00:59 BST+0100

RGM79

I've had the motherboard less than 90 days, but I got it from Newegg. I'm going to end up having to blow an additional $50 on ebay to get a Pentium G3250 just to flash it.

Reading is fundamental I guess. I can probably flip the P3250 for $25 plus shipping...so...I lose about $30 total because I didn't do enough research.

I agree that reading is fundamental. See here for a list of supported processors under the BIOS version they are supported. I don't know why but your version of the link doesn't load for me. The lower the BIOS version, the older it is and the more likely your motherboard will work with the CPU. I don't know what BIOS revision your motherboard has, you might be able to find out if you contact Gigabyte customer service and ask them. For now, I'm assuming it is old.

You could try installing the 4790K and see if it works anyway. If it doesn't then no harm done, the motherboard and CPU will not be damaged, it will just do nothing and display a blank black screen. Also, take a look at the Newegg listing's latest customer reviews, some people may say if the motherboard came with a new enough BIOS revision to support the latest processors.

Edit: I looked at the Newegg product page's latest reviews.. didn't find anything there under there. Oh well.

STOP! DO NOT ORDER THE G3250, it is also a very recent processor that will require a BIOS update in order to be compatible. If you double check the list, it says both the i7 4790K and G3250 are supported from BIOS version 2001 and newer. If you need an update to get your 4790K working, then you will also need the same update for the G3250. You need to look for an even older processor. Try looking for the Pentium G3220 instead?

We'll I'm back again.

So I idiotically thought my 2 year old board would support my i7 4790k. Low and behold it does not. So now I'm forced to get another motherboard.

Can I get some recommendations? My budget is $100-120.

Oh, it also should be able to support a hyper 212 cooler.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0446076&PID=6149513&SID=ibctgi8tpy00ag8y00053

This is in your price range and has great reviews.

It shows a newer version but it's micro ATX. Don't know if that matters to you.
The D3H is a budget model. The Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5 is a higher end model that normally retails around $130+ but is currently available for $96. The features of both can be compared here. Aside from the listed feature differences, the Gaming 5 seems like it should be better suited to overclocking, it has larger heatsink and possibly more power phases.

Flandy

post the rammap info

18973135330_e87a475c60_o.png

You are asking about the PSU or the whole rig?
Either way the part(s) I listed will perform better. But to be honest, if that rig you have is still functional, I would not recommend dumping 300$ just for a not so significant boost as your current rig should handle the tasks you mentioned just fine.

Have you tried this? It would not take long and is a sensible thing to check first. I see you have Avast but it is not very good against some types of malwares which Malwarebyte is better at detecting.

Avast scan and malwarebytes scan did jack shit :c

RGM79

Thanks but the problem with cards in the air 240 is the width not the length, some cards like the msi970 twin frozer stick out on Tue side too much and you can't put the side panel on or its touching it when it is.

The 970g1 doesn't so I was wondering if the 980ti version didn't either.

My bad should have clarified more.

It's ok. If you click on the links I provided, you can see both graphics cards are officially stated on the Gigabyte product pages to have a width (Gigabyte calls it width) of 129mm, so if the GTX 970 G1 fits, so will the GTX 980 Ti which is same size but slightly shorter according to those specs.

Edit: you can also see from the photos here that the card and cooler does not extend very far up/outward so it should not be touching the case's side panel.

SpyGuy239

Hi GAF,

Looking for a G-Sync Monitor Recommendation.

Also I already have 2 1080p 23" monitors that I plan to run in portrait mode with the new monitor. The question:

How well does a 1080p 27" monitor work with these 23"monitors in portrait? Should I spring for the 27" or stick with the 23" as it will be awkward?

**Staying with 1080p as consoles still output in 1080p and I will use the monitor for that as well.

Thanks!

comrade

The D3H is a budget model. The Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5 is a higher end model that normally retails around $130+ but is currently available for $96. The features of both can be compared here. Aside from the listed feature differences, the Gaming 5 seems like it should be better suited to overclocking, it has larger heatsink and possibly more power phases.

Ah I looked at this one but I saw it on Newegg and it was out of his budget. Definitely looks better if you can get it for $96 from another site.

It's ok. If you click on the links I provided, you can see both graphics cards are officially stated on the Gigabyte product pages to have a width (Gigabyte calls it width) of 129mm, so if the GTX 970 G1 fits, so will the GTX 980 Ti which is same size but slightly shorter according to those specs.

Edit: you can also see from the photos here that the card and cooler does not extend very far up/outward so it should not be touching the case's side panel.

Awesome, thanks a lot! It'll 1005% be the card I'll get for my new PC I'll build a bit then.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Can anyone here recommend me a good internal sound card? I'm trying to listen to my friends on ts while playing console games so I decided on using spdif cable to connect my tv to my dac and a usb to connect my pc to my dac. Problem is my dac only plays one input at a time. I was able to use red and white cables and a 3.5 mm converter to connect it via line in to my mobo and sent everything to my dac but I could hear a ton of white noise from the tv. The spdif in cable eliminated the white noise so it seems like the best option for me. So i'm looking for a good internal pci sound card that has a spdif in port. Don't really want something too pricey but i'm willing to splurge. Thanks!
PCI Xonar DG
PCI-E Xonar DGX

Gritesh

Help!!!!!

I bought a new video card today the 980ti sc+

I uninstalled my old AMD drivers shut down the PC removed the old hd7950 inserted the new card and the computer wouldnt seem to boot.

Eventually after like 5 minutes it will load windows.

I try getting into bios on the gigabyte splash screen but it won't let me in.

I unplugged all my hard drives and still can't get into bios.

I plugged the hard drives back in and now it won't ever load to windows it just goes to a black screen with the curor blinking.

I'm at a loss I can't get into bios I can't boot from my windows CD ROM it seems like my computer is just fucked.

I put the hd7950 back in and i works just fine.

Did I really get a bunked card from the factory?

RGM79

Help!!!!!

I uninstalled my old AMD drivers shut down the PC removed the old hd7950 inserted the new card and the computer wouldnt seem to boot.

I plugged the hard drives back in and now it won't ever load to windows it just goes to a black screen with the curor blinking.

I'm at a loss I can't get into bios I can't boot from my windows CD ROM it seems like my computer is just fucked.

Specs?

brentech

Help!!!!!

You try plugging display into motherboard, getting into Windows, loading nvidia driver, then plugging display into the video card?

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Need some help folks.

While installing a 970, did some stress testing and was alerted my CPU temps were kinda high. (Idle 38-42c, 75c in games, 90c within 40 seconds in prime95). Using realtemp. Never noticed this before. Reseated the stock cooler 3 times, and while I was able to bring it down to the numbers above (it was worse at first), that's the best I can do (pea method). It is seated correctly.

Current course of action would be to get a new cooler, yes?

If it matters, ambient temp in the room with point-click thermometer is 75F/25C. Maybe that's helping it be a little high or is that considered avg temps for a computer to run in?

edit: 2500 non k if it matters as well.

knitoe

Need some help folks.

While installing a 970, did some stress testing and was alerted my CPU temps were kinda high. (Idle 38-42c, 75c in games, 90c within 40 seconds in prime95). Using realtemp. Never noticed this before. Reseated the stock cooler 3 times, and while I was able to bring it down to the numbers above (it was worse at first), that's the best I can do (pea method). It is seated correctly.

Current course of action would be to get a new cooler, yes?

If it matters, ambient temp in the room with point-click thermometer is 75F/25C. Maybe that's helping it be a little high or is that considered avg temps for a computer to run in?

edit: 2500 non k if it matters as well.
Stock coolers are just crap. If you want lower temps, more quiet, better OC and etc., you need to get a custom cooler.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Stock coolers are just crap. If you want lower temps, more quiet, better OC and etc., you need to get a custom cooler.
Stock coolers are just fine for regular use but shouldn't be running at 75/90C.

You've reapplied new paste and remounted so either something has gone wonky or it's not being mounted correctly (Check manual / internet for pushpin lock positions).

So I'd go for a cheap rifle cooler to replace it.

knitoe

Stock coolers are just fine for regular use but shouldn't be running at 75/90C.

You've reapplied new paste and remounted so either something has gone wonky or it's not being mounted correctly (Check manual / internet for pushpin lock positions).

So I'd go for a cheap rifle cooler to replace it.

Just do a search for 2500 + stock cooler + Prime 95. You will see many results people stating 80+ to 90C. So, yes, the stock coolers are terrible.

daxy

Are you shitting me? I can't just put the new CPU in the socket and flash? The system won't even go into the bios screen?

DAMMIT!!!!! I might as well buy a different bleeping mobo.

Call a local electronics store selling components and they'll probably update it for you. Or maybe borrow a friend's CPU? If that doesn't work, return the mobo and email around places that can do it for you and order there. I got mine updated at the place I bought it. That is, if the motherboard is compatible at all.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Building this for my mate

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£135.00)
CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 45.0 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler (£16.95 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£79.16 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£39.89 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£47.79 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£37.44 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (£210.00)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£64.99 @ Novatech)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£46.99 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £678.21
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-26 00:59 BST+0100

where are you finding an MSI Twin Frozr GTX970 for £210!?

SpyGuy239

Hi GAF,

Still looking for a G-Sync Monitor Recommendation.

Also I already have 2 1080p 23" monitors that I plan to run in portrait mode with the new monitor. The question:

How well does a 1080p 27" monitor work with these 23"monitors in portrait? Should I spring for the 27" or stick with the 23" as it will be awkward?

**Staying with 1080p as consoles still output in 1080p and I will use the monitor for that as well.

Thanks!

YoodlePro

Alright gaf, finally pulled the trigger and bought all my parts to build my first pc.

Here's the innards of the beast (well beast for me)

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/w2JJWZ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/w2JJWZ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£139.97 @ CCL Computers)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£22.25 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£61.16 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£42.73 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£40.33 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: Palit GeForce GTX 970 4GB JetStream Video Card (£245.99 @ Aria PC)
Case: Xigmatek Recon ATX Mid Tower Case (£22.78 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £622.20

Firstly I'd like what you gurus think about my mediocre build.

Secondly, all is fine and dandy except for one thing. I have random gpu driver crashes (win 8.1). I'm on the latest ones and haven't overclocked my gpu yet. They seem to happen randomly, even when I'm just browsing the Web.

Of course I've Google'd it a bit but it's like webMD, everyone says omg your gpu is busted RMA IT NOW.

Edit: to clarify, the crashes aren't really often, every now and then, like 2 times at worst in 4 hours.

gilljoy

So I'm considering upgrading to an ultrawide 1440p monitor and I recon I'll have to upgrade my GPU alongside it.

What would be a better upgrade? a GTX980 or one of the new AMD cards?

NeOak

So I'm considering upgrading to an ultrawide 1440p monitor and I recon I'll have to upgrade my GPU alongside it.

980Ti.

The regular 980 sucks bullocks in terms of price/performance

kharma45

Depends on where you're buying and the price. You won't go wrong with the 980 mind.

Lexxism

Updated mini itx build:

CPU: Intel Pentium G3220 3.0GHz Dual-Core Processor ($67.98 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: MSI H81I Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($78.95 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($49.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Sandisk Solid State Drive 64GB ($49.09 @ Direct Canada)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case ($39.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W ($0)
Total: $285.99
I tweak some. It seems like this is a horizontal case. What case should I use for a smaller vertically case? The same they currently have.
No point in ordering from monoprice just for a sata cable. Any motherboard would come with them. Hell I'd throw one in Canada post for you for free.

If your parents are complaining that computer is slow, the upgrade won't help them much. What will help would be upgrading them to an SSD and 8gigs of fast ram.
My motherboard only came with 3 cables and I already used all of it.

kennah

I tweak some. It seems like this is a horizontal case. What case should I use for a smaller vertically case? The same they currently have.

My motherboard only came with 3 cables and I already used all of it.
PM me your address, I'll send you a few.

Gritesh

So to the monitor aficionados I bought the 980ti and the new acer ips gsync monitor.

They had it on display side by side with the Asus rog swift.

The build quality of the acer is complete crap when beside the Asus, but the screen is supposed to be so much nicer and it did indeed look nicer in the store.

The problem is that I got hit home and after some issues finally got everything hooked up and on black screens or even at the desktop with a mostly black background the lightbleed from the corners is pretty bad. Enough so that it's bothering me.

I've never owned an IPS before but right now I'm seriously considering returning it and getting the Asus.

Can anyone chime in on if I should just try to deal with the lightbleed or any reason why I shouldn't get the Asus?

Thanks.

kennah

Not really wanting to build a new PC yet (I will wait for Pascal) but whats the smallest case for a SLI combination? I am kinda sick of big towers. Would a bitfenix Prodigy be okay for that?
The prodigy is huge. I got one hoping it would be smaller than it was, but it ended up being bigger than my midtower.

There are good Matx cases out there but honestly unless you're going to useit now, shop around later when you are about to use it. Small cases are getting into trend now, and lots of awesome ones are being added all the time. If I get a minute I'll dig up some recommendations. What kind of budget are you thinking?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

They literally got it in yesterday. The guys working up there are really, cool, and we get along well - so he brought the box out from the back and let me and my buddy tinker with it quite a bit. The build quality is phenomenal - not that I'm ever surprised with Lian-Li. The cutouts were a tiny bit rough; otherwise, though, it was perfectly machined.

Ultimately, though, I'm pretty set on a purple & white theme'd build for next time. And I don't think I could pull that off with black. That said, there's a silver variant that I'm waiting for them to get in stock and if I think I could pull of white/purple with that, yeah, I think I just might.

Problem is, cooling is very limited.

... I did buy their new Lian-Li test bench, though. For $150, seemed like heck of a deal.

Water

So to the monitor aficionados I bought the 980ti and the new acer ips gsync monitor.
The problem is that I got hit home and after some issues finally got everything hooked up and on black screens or even at the desktop with a mostly black background the lightbleed from the corners is pretty bad. Enough so that it's bothering me.
Can anyone chime in on if I should just try to deal with the lightbleed or any reason why I shouldn't get the Asus?
Have you googled about the prevalence of light bleed in that model? If they don't all have it, then you have the third option of returning the Acer for another one and hoping to get a unit with less or no light bleed.

kennah

They literally got it in yesterday. The guys working up there are really, cool, and we get along well - so he brought the box out from the back and let me and my buddy tinker with it quite a bit. The build quality is phenomenal - not that I'm ever surprised with Lian-Li. The cutouts were a tiny bit rough; otherwise, though, it was perfectly machined.

Ultimately, though, I'm pretty set on a purple & white theme'd build for next time. And I don't think I could pull that off with black. That said, there's a silver variant that I'm waiting for them to get in stock and if I think I could pull of white/purple with that, yeah, I think I just might.

Problem is, cooling is very limited.

... I did buy their new Lian-Li test bench, though. For $150, seemed like heck of a deal.
What case is it anyway?

Gritesh

Have you googled about the prevalence of light bleed in that model? If they don't all have it, then you have the third option of returning the Acer for another one and hoping to get a unit with less or no light bleed.

Yes I did and it does seem like a common complaint. Alot of people say to pick the acer over the Asus due to IPS but then alot of people are also saying that the Asus when calibrated has just as good of colors as an IPS panel.

When I'm spending 1000 on a monitor I want to be fully happy with it you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom