• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHADES

Is there a way I can check the drivers?

Also if that was an issue wouldn't I have problems all the time not just with games?

I would have thought so but if you've just swapped mobo' then maybe the old network drivers are having issue with the new mobo. What have you installed off the disc that came with the motherboard?

RGM79

Oh okay. So, I still need to use 2 pci-e cable instead of just using one like this

I believe by design that the single cable can carry 300 watts (I'm pretty sure as long as the PSU's 12V rail is rated for it, it'll work). Otherwise they wouldn't have included a cable like that in the first place.

There's no downside to using two cables if you prefer to be on the safe side, though.

Moobabe

I would have thought so but if you've just swapped mobo' then maybe the old network drivers are having issue with the new mobo. What have you installed off the disc that came with the motherboard?

There was some intel network driver stuff - but I use a separate network adapter in one of the PCI slots that has its own driver instillation CD.

I'm just updating to service pack 1 and making sure windows update is 100% up to date. After that I'll make sure my network drivers are. I'll test playing games again tomorrow morning and again in the evening to see if I am suffering congestion or something (since sometimes I'll play Dirty Bomb and it's fine - I played TF2 this morning and it was fine as well.)

Would congestion cause that kind of throttling?

680 by a long shot:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1044?vs=1348 (Real benches vs GPUBoss)

3 minutes? People are on their phones and desktops in 10 seconds, way too long :p

You can overclock to make up the difference (which is what the cards are) so it's moot. Just drag the sliders to the same numbers. Buy the better cooler or cheaper one, whatever you want.

1140Mhz vs 1178Mhz so no.

okay great, thanks! i ordered the MSi, and it'll be here tomorrow.

Dumb question, but is installing the new graphics card as simple as unplugging the old one and plugging the new one in? I already have the latest nvidia drivers, but should I uninstall then reinstall them after putting the new card in?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
okay great, thanks! i ordered the MSi, and it'll be here tomorrow.

Dumb question, but is installing the new graphics card as simple as unplugging the old one and plugging the new one in? I already have the latest nvidia drivers, but should I uninstall then reinstall them after putting the new card in?

Uninstall first, then reinstall after you've swapped in the new card.

Lexxism

I believe by design that the single cable can carry 300 watts (I'm pretty sure as long as the PSU's 12V rail is rated for it, it'll work). Otherwise they wouldn't have included a cable like that in the first place.

There's no downside to using two cables if you prefer to be on the safe side, though.
Ah, I guess I'll go with 2 cables then.

Should I use DDU for that, or do I not need a third party program? I used DDU to clean out my drivers to fix some issues I was having with GTA V, and everything was fine, but I've been having slight issues with my color profiles ever since. It resets to windows default on start up every time. Nothing drastic but it's slightly annoying.

RGM79

So the 390 and 390x are really that bad?

They're slightly updated rebadged models of the existing R9 290 and 290X. The extra 4GB of VRAM doesn't really warrant the extra cost, especially if you play at lower resolutions. Performance-wise, they're clocked slightly higher but it's still not worth the higher cost.

Kayant

There was some intel network driver stuff - but I use a separate network adapter in one of the PCI slots that has its own driver instillation CD.

I'm just updating to service pack 1 and making sure windows update is 100% up to date. After that I'll make sure my network drivers are. I'll test playing games again tomorrow morning and again in the evening to see if I am suffering congestion or something (since sometimes I'll play Dirty Bomb and it's fine - I played TF2 this morning and it was fine as well.)

Would congestion cause that kind of throttling?

Do u know what your network adapter is called? I can search for drivers.

ricki42

Is that necessary if it's the same driver? I just upgraded from a 770 to a 980ti, and I just plugged in the new card, booted up, and it worked. Out of curiosity, I just uninstalled and reinstalled the driver, didn't change anything. I'm on Linux though, so I don't know about Windows, but I would have thought it's the same.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If you are wanting to stay at that resolution and around that price point, I'd go with a 980. They perform better at 1080p than the 390x.

Is the 980 even a decent card to recommend for anyone? Seems like the 970 and 980ti are in the sweet spots for price:performance and the 980 is just...there.

Moobabe

Do u know what your network adapter is called? I can search for drivers.

Yeah I've got the disc here with the name on (I think) - once I've fully updated windows I'll do that and then I'll talk to Sky tomorrow. I just booted Heroes of the Storm and without even connecting to a game my internet went batshit.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I thought this might be the best place to ask since it's full of computer geniuses.

Since we switched to Sky Broadband I have been having a LOT of issues with playing games online. I'm fine browsing, on teamspeak, on Steam or whatever and even loading up games is fine.

However as soon as I connect to a game server (be it Counter Strike, DOTA 2, Dirty Bomb) my internet goes crazy. My ping shoots up to 2000, my packet loss increases and, if left long enough, the internet will cut and I'll lose connection.

I have NO idea what to do or even how to go about trying to fix it. Can anyone help?

How long have you been with sky? It can take a week for the line to condition itself and adjust the speed so you get the optimum for your line quality and distance from the exchange. I've also had to have replacement routers from sky twice, so don't rule out faulty equipment there. Personally I moved to having my own router, and then any ISP equipment I just run in modem only mode (was sky, now virgin).

Moobabe

How long have you been with sky? It can take a week for the line to condition itself and adjust the speed so you get the optimum for your line quality and distance from the exchange. I've also had to have replacement routers from sky twice, so don't rule out faulty equipment there. Personally I moved to having my own router, and then any ISP equipment I just run in modem only mode (was sky, now virgin).

We've been with them with TV for years, but maybe a month with the internet? I could pick up my own router (or see if I could get another) but would that explain why I only get issues with games and only at certain times of day (it seems)?

Mannnn i'm so excited to build my pc ;_; ! My job is gonna get hectic on the week of my paycheck but once i buy the parts , the only thing missing is an evga 980ti and a gsync 1440p monitor from either acer or asus'(hoping it's the same price)

Be careful. I bought from a reputable seller (by their metrics) and the key didn't work.

I bought mine from there as well about a year ago, and have had no problems. However, I just went to buy one for my friend who doesn't have a reddit account, and I noticed a few comments in the thread of the person I was buying from saying something to the effect of they bought a few months ago, and now they're getting popups saying that their copy is not legitimate. So now I'm pretty wary of it as well.

and then I checked and the guy i bought mine from has a deleted account. cool!

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Hey guys:

This is my current build - this was built in the summer of 2012:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE
MoBo: GA-870A-USB3 AM3+ (Rev 3.1)
RAM: Kingston DDR 1333 2GB x2
HD: WD Caviar Blue 500GB 7200RPM
GPU: Zotac GTX460 1GB SE Destroyer
Heatsink: CoolMaster 212 (similar)
Case: CoolMaster RC-430-KWN1 430
PSU: Mod X Stream Pro 500w
CD Drive:Media Lite On 18X DVD Drive

So, I'm looking to upgrading the graphics card to GTX 970, and ram to 8GB. What do you guys think? Also, I thinking about overclocking my CPU. What do you guys think - any issues or bottlenecks?

In terms of RAM: the Mobo supports the following - "Support for DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1333/1066 MHz memory modules", so can I use the 1600Mhz ram?

riflen

I thought this might be the best place to ask since it's full of computer geniuses.

Since we switched to Sky Broadband I have been having a LOT of issues with playing games online. I'm fine browsing, on teamspeak, on Steam or whatever and even loading up games is fine.

However as soon as I connect to a game server (be it Counter Strike, DOTA 2, Dirty Bomb) my internet goes crazy. My ping shoots up to 2000, my packet loss increases and, if left long enough, the internet will cut and I'll lose connection.

I have NO idea what to do or even how to go about trying to fix it. Can anyone help?

I had a similar problem and it was a feature of my router that was accidentally enabled. If there's a feature in the settings that's supposed to protect from Port Scans or DoS attacks, try disabling it.

RGM79

Hey guys:

This is my current build - this was built in the summer of 2012:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE
MoBo: GA-870A-USB3 AM3+ (Rev 3.1)
RAM: Kingston DDR 1333 2GB x2
HD: WD Caviar Blue 500GB 7200RPM
GPU: Zotac GTX460 1GB SE Destroyer
Heatsink: CoolMaster 212 (similar)
Case: CoolMaster RC-430-KWN1 430
PSU: Mod X Stream Pro 500w
CD Drive:Media Lite On 18X DVD Drive

So, I'm looking to upgrading the graphics card to GTX 970, and ram to 8GB. What do you guys think? Also, I might overclock my CPU once I have access to my gaming pc. What do you guys think?

In terms of RAM: the Mobo supports the following - "Support for DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1333/1066 MHz memory modules", so can I use the 1600Mhz ram?

That sounds fine. Definitely overclock your CPU when you have the chance. It'd be best if you could get a set of 1333MHz RAM to match your existing RAM. You can go with 2x2GB or 2x4GB for a total of 8 or 12 GB of RAM, depending on how much you want to spend.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
That sounds fine. Definitely overclock your CPU when you have the chance. It'd be best if you could get a set of 1333MHz RAM to match your existing RAM. You can go with 2x2GB or 2x4GB for a total of 8 or 12 GB of RAM, depending on how much you want to spend.

Very nice! I will look into the ram now! The 970 should be fine for now? My current build should last going forward in terms of gaming?

Moobabe

I had a similar problem and it was a feature of my router that was accidentally enabled. If there's a feature in the settings that's supposed to protect from Port Scans or DoS attacks, try disabling it.

Can you remember what it's called or where it is in the settings?

Can anyone recommend me a nice desk for pc pc setup ? I will be going with a 780t case and a gsync 1440p monitor and hopefully big enough to put them on it

Looking at putting this together, already have corsair 860w power supply (overkill I know) and ssd/storage drive. Anything I should change?

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($115.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($319.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.89 @ OutletPC)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DGX 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card ($25.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1134.82

luiztfc

I had a Coolermaster HAF-X case, but I purchased Corsair 540 since I needed space and it offered better cable management options.

However, the case fans are VERY noisy even when in idle. I don't know how to describe this, but it's a very perceptible humming noise. They are not spinning very fast (Speedfan gives me ~1100 RPM). I measured with my cell and I got 40 db on idle.

I think I'll swap the stock fans for a better option. Someone on reddit suggested me the Be Quiet! Silent Wings 2, but I always heard good stuff about Noctua. Is the NF-F12 iPPC 2000 PWM a good option?

Thanks!

By the way, my rig is:
i7 2600k
GTX 970 (G1 gaming)
16GB Mobo Gigabyte
p67A-ud5-b3
Evo 840 SSD

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Is that necessary if it's the same driver? I just upgraded from a 770 to a 980ti, and I just plugged in the new card, booted up, and it worked. Out of curiosity, I just uninstalled and reinstalled the driver, didn't change anything. I'm on Linux though, so I don't know about Windows, but I would have thought it's the same.

I just do it to cover my bases.

But then, my GPU stopped working, it wont' let me install the drivers, or install them again and Windows just gives me the ever so helpful Error 43 message.

Whoot. Intel 4600 4ver.

Mystic654

Looking at putting this together, already have corsair 860w power supply (overkill I know) and ssd/storage drive. Anything I should change?

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($115.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($319.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.89 @ OutletPC)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DGX 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card ($25.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1134.82

Sound Card is pointless to install, atlease from my experience.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I bought mine from there as well about a year ago, and have had no problems. However, I just went to buy one for my friend who doesn't have a reddit account, and I noticed a few comments in the thread of the person I was buying from saying something to the effect of they bought a few months ago, and now they're getting popups saying that their copy is not legitimate. So now I'm pretty wary of it as well.

and then I checked and the guy i bought mine from has a deleted account. cool!

That's what happened. Serial was bad after a month or two. Seller deleted their account. I'll never use the subreddit again myself but I know people who swear by it.

Quotient

10 to 20. But kinda grey area legit

So about an 80% savings, though considering that most of us spend near a thousand dollars or more on a system, another $100 for the OS shouldn't break the bank. Personally I am excited about Steam OS and hope it pushes more dev to look at linux as a viable option.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Had same issue years ago getting a key off eBay. Always go retail now not worth the hassle.

Chesskid1

Banned
Can anyone recommend me a nice desk for pc pc setup ? I will be going with a 780t case and a gsync 1440p monitor and hopefully big enough to put them on it

go to an ikea if you have one, i spent some time researching desks a few months ago and pretty much all the nice setups i liked had some sort of ikea

picked up one a few months ago and really love it

So about an 80% savings, though considering that most of us spend near a thousand dollars or more on a system, another $100 for the OS shouldn't break the bank. Personally I am excited about Steam OS and hope it pushes more dev to look at linux as a viable option.
Hopefully the Vulkan API makes Linux gaming viable.

go to an ikea if you have one, i spent some time researching desks a few months ago and pretty much all the nice setups i liked had some sort of ikea

i picked up an l shaped bekant for $250ish and can fit a 30" inch monitor and a 29" ultrawide no problem.
Goddamit .. But there's no ikea store in here ;_; i can order one from an ikea overseas but i'd rather order one locally ...

Freakin Hawaii

Are the next gen of GPUs are expected by the end of 2016 and should be a big jump correct? Die shrinks + HBM2? If the jump is big I'm willing to wait awhile before I get a new computer.

finalflame

Just opened up my case to add some front fans and re-mount my water pump, and felt like sharing it because I felt especially satisfied after getting all this done today :)

jzbGLjW.jpg

Now to wait for EVGA to tell my me 980 Tis are ready for me to Step Up.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Was talking to a friend, was advised against installing a 970/960 on a 500w PSU. Damn, i guess ill have to overhaul my entire rig. What do you guys think?

finalflame

Was talking to a friend, was advised against installing a 970/960 on a 500w PSU. Damn, i guess ill have to overhaul my entire rig. What do you guys think?

What kind of 500W PSU do you have? The TDP on a 970 is about 145w. You would most likely be more than fine with a 500W PSU unless it's a really, really crappy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom