• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricki42

A 1TB WD Black Edition 7200rpm
A MSI X99s Gaming 7 mobo
A Samsung 850 pro 512gb
A Crucial BX100 500gb
Intel Core i7 5820k
Total of $1208.78
My budget is 4k

Any recommendations on the 5 parts listed would be cool ! :3

Get the WD Blue instead, the Black is noisier, costs more, and draws more power.
You have both the 850 and the BX100 listed now, are you planning to get both?

Thanks ! any recommendations ?

Kingston , Intel or Samsung ?

Crucial.

When will the dream of 144Hz 4K Gsync monitors become reality? I will hold off on upgrading until I can do everything in one go and do it properly for future proofing.

Probably not for a year or two. Pure guess, but we haven't seen any proof of concept on that even, as far as I know. Not even a non-adaptive sync 4K over 60hz.

Future proofing is pretty much a myth. Unless a new product launch is right around the corner, it's not worth waiting because you will end up waiting forever. I've played that game before.

Really torn between a 970 and an R9 390.

Prices:

Standard Palit 970 : £230

Gigabyte Gaming G1 970: £280

Sapphire Nitro R9 390: £266

XFX Black Edition R9 390: £270

Gaming predominantly at 1440p, very occasionally 1080p at 120fps.

The 8GB VRAM is really making this decision hard.

ricki42

Why the Crucial BX100/MX100 over the Samsung 850 Evo? I read that the latter performs better both in real-world applications and benchmarks better overall. The price difference is negligible over here and I'm looking into a 500gb SSD myself. Also, Samsung offers a 5 year warranty over here, whereas Crucial's is 3.

Any reason why or just personal preference?

The Crucial drives are usually cheaper, especially the BX, though it seems you can get Samsung for fairly cheap now. The performance difference is likely unnoticeable for most people.
But personally, after getting a 840 Evo with the firmware issues, I just avoid Samsung. It took them quite some time to fix the firmware, and their support for anyone not running Windows is really bad.

pa22word

Anything new on skylake?

I'm still rocking my i7960 I got forever ago and it's getting quite long in the tooth. Been saying "eh, maybe next year" for so long Im starting to think ill never get around to replacing the thing :/

Especially considering how mediocre gains have been >.>

Armaly

Reposting since it has been over 150 posts.
Can anyone here recommend me a good internal sound card? I'm trying to listen to my friends on ts while playing console games so I decided on using spdif cable to connect my tv to my dac and a usb to connect my pc to my dac. Problem is my dac only plays one input at a time. I was able to use red and white cables and a 3.5 mm converter to connect it via line in to my mobo and sent everything to my dac but I could hear a ton of white noise from the tv. The spdif in cable eliminated the white noise so it seems like the best option for me. So i'm looking for a good internal pci sound card that has a spdif in port. Don't really want something too pricey but i'm willing to splurge. Thanks!

Really torn between a 970 and an R9 390.

Prices:

Standard Palit 970 : £230

Gigabyte Gaming G1 970: £280

Sapphire Nitro R9 390: £266

XFX Black Edition R9 390: £270

Gaming predominantly at 1440p, very occasionally 1080p at 120fps.

The 8GB VRAM is really making this decision hard.

I've looked at 5 comparisons of the 970 and the R9 390 and I still haven't seen how AMD having more than 2x the VRAM on their cards outperforms the 970 consistently in current games.

The 390 kills in the "specs" but in actual gaming performance (at the resolutions you mentioned) I don't really see a performance advantage.

I've found that NVidia cards don't normally have as many issues running games as AMD cards do (drivers)

I have a SFF system and even though the R9 isn't much worse than the 970, it loses out when it comes to power draw, noise (under load) and heat (under load). That's influencing my choice for my Node 304.

I've looked at 5 comparisons of the 970 and the R9 390 and I still haven't seen how AMD having more than 2x the VRAM on their cards outperforms the 970 consistently in current games.

The 390 kills in the "specs" but in actual gaming performance (at the resolutions you mentioned) I don't really see a performance advantage.

I've found that NVidia cards don't normally have as many issues running games as AMD cards do (drivers)

I have a SFF system and even though the R9 isn't much worse than the 970, it loses out when it comes to power draw, noise (under load) and heat (under load). That's influencing my choice for my Node 304.

I've heard reports of reviews using old drivers for the R9 390, so maybe that's why the specs haven't translated into results. Still,the decision is proving hard given the resolution I play at, especially looking forward the next couple of years.

I've heard reports of reviews using old drivers for the R9 390, so maybe that's why the specs haven't translated into results. Still,the decision is proving hard given the resolution I play at, especially looking forward the next couple of years.

Watching a lot of reviews...and (like ATI/AMD of old) the drivers have been a big issue with these specific cards 390/390x.

IMO the only advantage of the 390 is it's vram. Are you going to use that 8GB?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Try reseating your graphics card. Check power cables. Even try another slot.

Tried that. It's still stalled out. I don't have another slot to try though. I don't really get why the GPU would give up just because I installed a new CPU regardless.

Arkanius

So for 1080p 120Hz I should go for the 980Ti, right?

Damn it AMD, I wanted that Fury X.

I had a huge hardon for the card since everyone was saying it would be better than the 980 Ti

The 980Ti managed to do everything better other than having an watercooler.

Watching a lot of reviews...and (like ATI/AMD of old) the drivers have been a big issue with these specific cards 390/390x.

IMO the only advantage of the 390 is it's vram. Are you going to use that 8GB?

I imagine I'll be using quite a lot of it, especially at 1440p and with some AA. Usage is likely to go up in the next year or two as well.

nynt9

I already posted a thread here for this but:

As the title says. I just got some cash recently, and I feel like I need to up my PC game, as some recent titles are giving me framerate drops with advanced options on. Can you help me with what the bottleneck is? Here's what I got:

Processor: i7-3930k @ 3.20GHz (12 core)
RAM: 16GB ( 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel)
GPU: GTX 970

Monitor: 1440p (I'm happy with this)
Mobo: "(3-Way SLI/CrossFireX Support) ASUS P9X79 LE Intel X79 Chipset Quad Channel DDR3 ATX w/ Remote GO!, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 3 Gen3 PCIe X16, 2 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI"
Power: 1300 Watts - Cooler Master Silent Pro Hybrid 80 Plus Gold
Cooling: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (with some other case fans and whatnot)

I listed the monitor so that you guys know what resolution I play, and the rest so that you'll know if I also need to get a new mobo/PS/cooler.

Is the GPU really the bottle neck like people in the thread are saying?

Also I'm intending to get a G-sync monitor but first I wanna solve my perf issues.

thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=170094833

knitoe

I already posted a thread here for this but:

As the title says. I just got some cash recently, and I feel like I need to up my PC game, as some recent titles are giving me framerate drops with advanced options on. Can you help me with what the bottleneck is? Here's what I got:

Processor: i7-3930k @ 3.20GHz (12 core)
RAM: 16GB ( 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel)
GPU: GTX 970

Monitor: 1440p (I'm happy with this)
Mobo: "(3-Way SLI/CrossFireX Support) ASUS P9X79 LE Intel X79 Chipset Quad Channel DDR3 ATX w/ Remote GO!, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 3 Gen3 PCIe X16, 2 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI"
Power: 1300 Watts - Cooler Master Silent Pro Hybrid 80 Plus Gold
Cooling: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (with some other case fans and whatnot)

I listed the monitor so that you guys know what resolution I play, and the rest so that you'll know if I also need to get a new mobo/PS/cooler.

Is the GPU really the bottle neck like people in the thread are saying?

Also I'm intending to get a G-sync monitor but first I wanna solve my perf issues.

thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=170094833

The other thread pretty much covers everything.
1) OC the CPU to 4.2-4.5GHz.
2) Get a 980ti. Even better, get 2 for SLI.
3) Buy a Gysnc monitor.

Ally1987

What settings to you guys recommend me to put on when overclocking a 980 ti with afterburner? I got referance card, not water cooled

Mad Max

What's the most recommended gtx 980 ti?? Msi? Evga?

If you're buying a reference card get: asus, gigabyte, evga, msi as these offer warranties based on serial number. Otherwise it shouldn't matter. If you want a non-reference card the gigabyte G1 gaming seems the best choice right now, but it might be much more expensive and harder to find than the reference cards, depending on your location.

I just got a reference gigabyte 980ti because it was €130 cheaper than the cheapest G1 I could find, and spent the difference on a aquacomputer full cover block + backplate instead.

If you're buying a reference card get: asus, gigabyte, evga, msi as these offer warranties based on serial number. Otherwise it shouldn't matter. If you want a non-reference card the gigabyte G1 gaming seems the best choice right now, but it might be much more expensive and harder to find than the reference cards, depending on your location.

I just got a reference gigabyte 980ti because it was €130 cheaper than the cheapest G1 I could find, and spent the difference on a aquacomputer full cover block + backplate instead.
Thanks!

Thanks! wonder if it'll be a match for the G1 card. Hope so.

Well, off the bat it won't have the factory overclock of the G1 nor the 3 fans, but I've read the fans on the G1 are loud. I think the Classified will be a happy medium of not being as loud as G1, yet not manually ocing as far as the G1, but ocing good enough for those of us who aren't trying to break any kind of records but are happy for decent overclocks.

komplanen

Guys, what's the difference between a reference card and a non-reference?

Reference cards are identical to how AMD or Nvidia designed them. Difference between Asus or MSI reference cards is is sticker. The PCB and cooling solution are designed by AMD/Nvidia and manufactured by a company that slap a logo sticker on it.

Non-reference is when the PCB or cooling solution is designed by Asus/MSI/EVGA etc to how they see fit. Sometimes the PCB is reference and cooler isn't. Sometimes both are new designs.

Non-reference cards are often also factory overclocked to higher performance and almost always quieter.

Can someone recommend me a Nvidia/Gsync build for under $3k?

I'm looking for a quiet 980Ti and the best Gsync 1440p monitor.

Also, for Windows 10/DX12, should I be looking at 6 core intel cpus, or is quad core still sufficient for DX12?

Devildoll

Guys, what's the difference between a reference card and a non-reference?

reference means its built exactly to Nvidia's or AMD's spec.
no fancy cooler, no extra memory, no expanded power delivery etc etc.

This is a reference 290X for example, "made" by powercolor, the difference between this and an Asus reference 290X would be the bundles, and the sticker logo on the fan.

McDcMLA.jpg

This is a non-reference powercolor 290X and one by asus.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
All the OP builds are being updated (you can click the spreadsheet image and look)
Why the Crucial BX100/MX100 over the Samsung 850 Evo? I read that the latter performs better both in real-world applications and benchmarks better overall. The price difference is negligible over here and I'm looking into a 500gb SSD myself. Also, Samsung offers a 5 year warranty over here, whereas Crucial's is 3.
Performance difference is negligible for saving $20 imo. Warranty for SSDs I don't even look at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom