• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Had a 980TI in my shopping cart and spoke to 2 gaming coworkers who both told me I'm nuts.

They each said, separately, that I should save some money with a 970. Since I only game at 1080P they thought this would be crazy overkill. Thoughts?

Had a 980TI in my shopping cart and spoke to 2 gaming coworkers who both told me I'm nuts.

They each said, separately, that I should save some money with a 970. Since I only game at 1080P they thought this would be crazy overkill. Thoughts?

In my opinion it's all about what your budget is, and what you want out of the card. The 980ti is definitely the best "bang for your buck" all around card at the moment. From the looks of it, in a couple of years there will be some games that will tax a 970 on ultra settings, while at 1080p a 980ti will probably never break a sweat. And it gives you the option to upgrade to 1440p if you ever want to, and it'll still run smooth. If you can afford the extra few hundred dollars I'd say get a card that will last you much longer.

Mad Max

Nah son, they just haven't discovered the glory of downsampling.

Any "yeas" or "nays" on the Silverstone Sugo 11? I'm looking for a cube/shoebox shaped case to fit inside my desk for matx with a DVD drive (Yes, I use it for ripping every week). I have a weird home theater case that requires a SFX powersupply, can't fit large cards and must be severely disassembled to get work done inside.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=535
sg11b-34left.jpg

pje122

Any feedback on this build? Would VR be at all possible?

4th Generation Intel (R) Core(TM) i7-5820K processor hexa-core [3.3GHz, 15MB Shared Cache]
16GB DDR4-2133 DIMM (2x8GB) RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB GDDR5 FH GFX
256GB SATA 2.5 TLC Solid State Drive
2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6G Hard Drive
HP Wireless 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac 2x2 with Bluetooth M.2 Non-vPro NIC
SuperMulti DVD Burner

This comes to $1268 after tax and rebate.

Thoughts?

RGM79

Any feedback on this build? Would VR be at all possible?

4th Generation Intel (R) Core(TM) i7-5820K processor hexa-core [3.3GHz, 15MB Shared Cache]
16GB DDR4-2133 DIMM (2x8GB) RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB GDDR5 FH GFX
256GB SATA 2.5 TLC Solid State Drive
2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6G Hard Drive
HP Wireless 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac 2x2 with Bluetooth M.2 Non-vPro NIC
SuperMulti DVD Burner

This comes to $1268 after tax and rebate.

Thoughts?

Are you buying a prebuilt PC? It does meet the minimum requirements for Oculus Rift and then some, but some things are odd, like the fact that it has 2x8GB RAM and an HP wireless adaptor?

Building a pc specifically for for emulation, where do I start? Can someone recommend me a build?

How much do you want to spend, and what are you emulating, exactly? Retro emulation can be achieved with low cost parts, but PS2 and Gamecube/Wii will require more oomph.

pje122

Yes it is pre-built, sorry. That should still be OK, right? Seems like a good price for what I get, but I'm open to feedback.

RGM79

Yes it is pre-built, sorry. That should still be OK, right? Seems like a good price for what I get, but I'm open to feedback.

It's a great price consider the cost of components alone, I can't deny that. A similarly equipped parts list will be hundreds of dollars more expensive, not even counting case, power supply, and the cost of Windows. Just be aware that prebuilt PCs often have limited expandability, the motherboards are sometimes deficient in terms of features and overclocking ability, the power supplies are usually weak and barely support more than what the PC ships with, and so on.

pje122

That's probably fine. I'm not sure how much overclocking I need. FYI my current gaming machine is from 2003, and I actually game on it quite regularly. Plays the Hotline Miamis quite well.

Also, on the Oculus Rift requirements page, these 2 bullets are listed:

2x USB 3.0 ports
HDMI 1.3 video output supporting a 297MHz clock via a direct output architecture

How do I check that this machine covers those?

RGM79

That's probably fine. I'm not sure how much overclocking I need. FYI my current gaming machine is from 2003, and I actually game on it quite regularly. Plays the Hotline Miamis quite well.

Also, on the Oculus Rift requirements page, these 2 bullets are listed:

2x USB 3.0 ports
HDMI 1.3 video output supporting a 297MHz clock via a direct output architecture

How do I check that this machine covers those?

Most new computers should have more than two USB 3.0 ports, no worries there. The phrasing "direct output architecture" just means that some laptops won't work well for oculus rift because laptop HDMI ports usually aren't straight from the discrete graphics chipset but are somehow tied into integrated graphics.

appaws

Banned
Wow, I was really going to go after the Phanteks Enthoo Pro, but wow, the Fractal Design Define S is a damn gorgeous case and exactly what I'm looking for. No ODD drives, lots of cooling, and great cable management and HDD/SDD locations. And that PRICE.

Yep. I picked up a Define S and I like it a lot. Sort of a blank slate for my water cooling setup. They are both excellent cases.

In my opinion it's all about what your budget is, and what you want out of the card. The 980ti is definitely the best "bang for your buck" all around card at the moment. From the looks of it, in a couple of years there will be some games that will tax a 970 on ultra settings, while at 1080p a 980ti will probably never break a sweat. And it gives you the option to upgrade to 1440p if you ever want to, and it'll still run smooth. If you can afford the extra few hundred dollars I'd say get a card that will last you much longer.

I agree with Cirekiller. I don't really believe in the idea of "overkill" being a real thing. If you have the money, then why not...? It will give you options down the road.

VICI0US

if the price difference doesn't matter to you, go for the 980 ti.

nvidia DSR or some other form of downsampling will let you put that extra horsepower to use, even on a 1080p monitor. you can render games at 1440p - 4k and downscale them to fit your 1080p display. Aliasing will be a lot less noticeable and the picture quality in general will be better than native 1080p

I use DSR all the time with my 970, playing through bioshock 1 right now rendered at 4k on my 1080p monitor and it's beautiful.

pje122

Most new computers should have more than two USB 3.0 ports, no worries there. The phrasing "direct output architecture" just means that some laptops won't work well for oculus rift because laptop HDMI ports usually aren't straight from the discrete graphics chipset but are somehow tied into integrated graphics.
Thanks for that. If I do go through with this configuration what monitor should I pick up? I don't think I need over 1080p. Is G-Sync something I should pursue?

RGM79

Thanks for that. If I do go through with this configuration what monitor should I pick up? I don't think I need over 1080p. Is G-Sync something I should pursue?

Sorry, I'm not much of a monitor guy, hopefully the other guys have recommendations. It'll also depend on how much you're willing to spend on a monitor.

spannicus

Guys I just got an AIO cooler for my 980 ti and I have an NZXT s340 with Corsair h100i on the front as intakes. Case fans at the rear and top as exhaust. Is there anywhere I can mount this rad from the hybrid cooler?

RGM79

Guys I just got an AIO cooler for my 980 ti and I have an NZXT s340 with Corsair h100i on the front as intakes. Case fans at the rear and top as exhaust. Is there anywhere I can mount this rad from the hybrid cooler?

How large is the cooler? I'd probably mount it in the rear 120mm mount. According to the specs, the front and rear are designed with clearance for water radiators, the top may not have enough clearance with the motherboard to accommodate the thickness of a radiator and fan.

Godan

Looking for a bit of advise.

Just regarding monitors. I have 2 of these just now http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005OPLG0O/

I am looking to upgrade to a 144hz monitor so was going to pick this up as its only £200 just now http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B19T7QC/

What I would like to know is that is it possible to run a 144hz monitor along with a 60hz monitor as i am only going to be replacing one monitor just now?

Will the 60hz one hold back the 144hz one in any way?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Looking for a bit of advise.

Just regarding monitors. I have 2 of these just now http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005OPLG0O/

I am looking to upgrade to a 144hz monitor so was going to pick this up as its only £200 just now http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B19T7QC/

What I would like to know is that is it possible to run a 144hz monitor along with a 60hz monitor as i am only going to be replacing one monitor just now?

Will the 60hz one hold back the 144hz one in any way?
I run 120 and a 60. You are fine.

Hmmm Really having a dillema here choosing between an 850 evo or a pro

Between 500gb ad 512gb ssd card

I know the differnece between them in speed is minor but there are really areas that pro outshines the evo .. But overall in a price to performance ratio , evo beats out the pro.

But since i'm using the samsung of either version as my system/windows drive, i think it's be i stick with evo right ?

Im probably gonna use my bx100 as my games/music and everything else and the difference would be not that noticeable anyway i'm hoping

knitoe

Hmmm Really having a dillema here choosing between an 850 evo or a pro

Between 500gb ad 512gb ssd card

I know the differnece between them in speed is minor but there are really areas that pro outshines the evo .. But overall in a price to performance ratio , evo beats out the pro.

But since i'm using the samsung of either version as my system/windows drive, i think it's be i stick with evo right ?

Im probably gonna use my bx100 as my games/music and everything else and the difference would be not that noticeable anyway i'm hoping
The pro also have a longer life. And, more importantly, you don't have to worry about possibly speed slow down over time and requiring a firmware update to hopefully fix.

The pro also have a longer life. And, more importantly, you don't have to worry about possibly speed slow down over time and requiring a firmware update to hopefully fix.
So any advice though ? Should i put my samsung pro as my gaming/music/ etc drive or the bx100 instead ?
Edit: probably kept asking the same question again but i just want it to be definitive now -and stick with it

LAA

Posting again for a new page, really need to know if the case/PSU are suitable for what I have planned.

These are the specs I'm looking to get...
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/9GxYK8

Ignore the case however, as the case I do actually want is this, but it wasnt on this site. http://www.scan.co.uk/products/aerocool-x-predator-x1-evil-all-black-gaming-case-120mm-orange-led-quiet-fan-w-o-psu

Problem is I'm not sure if my proposed components will fit. Other question is the PSU. Should I be wanting a Full or Semi PSU? And similar question to above, would it fit in this case? Really open to suggestions about the case/PSU.

Appreciate any help

Godan

I run 120 and a 60. You are fine.

Thanks i ended up just buying two of them. Get ocd with it and need to have the same ones. Also picked up disply port cables as i think i need them for it. Will be running it with my 980 ti :).

Also been looking at wireless a wireless gaming headset as my wired ones are old and the wires for it just get in the way. Thinking of getting the corsair h2100 anyone used them?

Odrion

Banned
Posting again for a new page, really need to know if the case/PSU are suitable for what I have planned.

These are the specs I'm looking to get...
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/9GxYK8

Ignore the case however, as the case I do actually want is this, but it wasnt on this site. http://www.scan.co.uk/products/aerocool-x-predator-x1-evil-all-black-gaming-case-120mm-orange-led-quiet-fan-w-o-psu

Problem is I'm not sure if my proposed components will fit. Other question is the PSU. Should I be wanting a Full or Semi PSU? And similar question to above, would it fit in this case? Really open to suggestions about the case/PSU.

Appreciate any help

See if you can get a discount by buying a H97 board, as there are high end luxury H97 boards that are priced like cheap Z97s and you really shouldn't go into a 4970k with a overclocking mindset. Really, the 4970k has barely any overhead for overclocking (best case scenario you're looking at 4.7 or 4.8 ghz with the best coolers and the 212 Evo isn't the best cooler) because it's stock speed is already insanely high. Keep the 212 Evo since it's quiet.

LAA

See if you can get a discount by buying a H97 board, as there are high end luxury H97 boards that are priced like cheap Z97s and you really shouldn't go into a 4970k with a overclocking mindset. Really, the 4970k has barely any overhead for overclocking (best case scenario you're looking at 4.7 or 4.8 ghz with the best coolers and the 212 Evo isn't the best cooler) because it's stock speed is already insanely high. Keep the 212 Evo since it's quiet.

Not sure what board you mean if you still mean from Asus, but the ones there had no SLI support, which I may not want now, but I think I want that option open...
Also yeah, not really in the OC mindset for anything I don't think... Possibly GPU if anything. Only went with the fan because I read the stock one wasn't so good.
Thanks for the suggestions/advice however though.

More concerned about my PSU/Case choice atm, but welcome advice like this too

Shutts

Neo Member
Folks,

Can I have your opinion on this build please!

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/NnBbHx

I'm unsure on the GPU as I'll be gaming @ 1080p.. is a 980 overkill. I'd like to be fairly assured of hitting 60fps on high/ultra settings. The whole VRAM debacle with the 970's is putting me off saving a bit of cash tbh.

Cheers for any help, Shutts

spannicus

How large is the cooler? I'd probably mount it in the rear 120mm mount. According to the specs, the front and rear are designed with clearance for water radiators, the top may not have enough clearance with the motherboard to accommodate the thickness of a radiator and fan.
Thank you!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Gentlemen, a friend of mine who's not on GAF wanted to know if the Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290 OC 4GB (video card) is supported by the Cooler Master V650 (PSU), thanks.

Montone

Neo Member
Need some sage advice on building a new PC. Below are the parts I have, and I'm considering a new case and a GTX 980. Any advice is very appreciated!

Your current specs:

CPU:
Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
RAM:
16GB
Motherboard:
Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard
GPU:
GeForce GTX 650 Ti
PSU:
700 Watts
Case:
CoolerMaster Mini ITX
HDD:
2x2TB

I'm not sure what model exactly (company name/version) the RAM, PSU, or HDDs are.

Budget:
$400-700

Main Use:
4.5 (video games and 3D/model work

Monitor:
Asus VS247H-P 24-Inch
True Resolution: 1920 x 1080
I am going to purchase a second 144Hz monitor once I upgrade my pc (recommendations appreciated)

Games/Applications:
-GTA V
-Witcher 3
-Dragon Age: Inquisition
-Arkham Knight
-Fallout 4 (hopefully)
-WoW/League of Legends

-Google SketchUp (with large detailed files)

Looking to reuse:
Everything but the GPU and the case, I am considering replacing the processor and motherboard if mine are trash and won't hold up.

When will you build:
I would like to get all the pieces together and plug them in before mid-August

Will you be overclocking:
Yes

Thanks again!

appaws

Banned
Folks,

Can I have your opinion on this build please!

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/NnBbHx

I'm unsure on the GPU as I'll be gaming @ 1080p.. is a 980 overkill. I'd like to be fairly assured of hitting 60fps on high/ultra settings. The whole VRAM debacle with the 970's is putting me off saving a bit of cash tbh.

Cheers for any help, Shutts

I don't think there is any such thing as "overkill" in a GPU. The industry moves fast, games demand more and more and more. So go for the best GPU you can afford at all times. It will also make it easier for you to go for a higher res display if you choose to down the road.

I know nothing about the Node 304 though, so I can't comment on the build in general as far as getting things in there!

j-wood

I still can't decide between 2 1TB western digital blues or blacks for a raid setup.

Or is there another maker you guys suggest?

Glass

Which way does it blow? You don't want it fighting your intake/exhaust fans

It's blowing towards the exhaust fan at the back of the case. Is that the best option on that side, or should it be blowing into the heat sink part?

ricki42

Is my CPU fan okay on this side? I've only ever seen it on the other side, but my RAM sticks are too damn high.

riKPzd2.jpg

You can put the RAM sticks into slots 2 and 4 rather than 1 and 3 (check your motherboard manual to make sure), that may give you enough clearance for the fan. You can also mount the fan slightly higher on the cooler to sit just above the inner RAM stick.

It's blowing towards the exhaust fan at the back of the case. Is that the best option on that side, or should it be blowing into the heat sink part?

Wait. Isn't the idea to have the fan push the air over the heatsink and to the rear fan so the heat gets taken out of the case? Shouldn't your fan be on the other side?

RGM79

Gentlemen, a friend of mine who's not on GAF wanted to know if the Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290 OC 4GB (video card) is supported by the Cooler Master V650 (PSU), thanks.

Yeah, there shouldn't be any problems at all.

Need some sage advice on building a new PC. Below are the parts I have, and I'm considering a new case and a GTX 980. Any advice is very appreciated!

Your current specs:

CPU:
Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
RAM:
16GB
Motherboard:
Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard
GPU:
GeForce GTX 650 Ti
PSU:
700 Watts
Case:
CoolerMaster Mini ITX
HDD:
2x2TB

I'm not sure what model exactly (company name/version) the RAM, PSU, or HDDs are.

Budget:
$400-700

Main Use:
4.5 (video games and 3D/model work

Monitor:
Asus VS247H-P 24-Inch
True Resolution: 1920 x 1080
I am going to purchase a second 144Hz monitor once I upgrade my pc (recommendations appreciated)

Games/Applications:
-GTA V
-Witcher 3
-Dragon Age: Inquisition
-Arkham Knight
-Fallout 4 (hopefully)
-WoW/League of Legends

-Google SketchUp (with large detailed files)

Looking to reuse:
Everything but the GPU and the case, I am considering replacing the processor and motherboard if mine are trash and won't hold up.

When will you build:
I would like to get all the pieces together and plug them in before mid-August

Will you be overclocking:
Yes

Thanks again!

What case and GTX 980 are you looking at getting?

You won't be able to overclock your processor. Only K model processors can be overclocked on Z series motherboards, and you have the i7 3770 instead of the i7 3770K on an H series motherboard. However, the i7 3770 is still a very good processor that should give you more than acceptable performance in nearly everything.

Yes, it works. You'll barely have clearance for the heatsink, but it'll be compatible.

Stubo

If you flip the fan over you can mount it so that it pulls air through the heatsink from the back, and blows it towards the rear fan and out of the case.

It's just a matter of taking off the mounting hardware, turning the fan over and putting the mounting back on. Then you'll be good to go!

Montone

Neo Member
What case and GTX 980 are you looking at getting?

You won't be able to overclock your processor. Only K model processors can be overclocked on Z series motherboards, and you have the i7 3770 instead of the i7 3770K on an H series motherboard. However, the i7 3770 is still a very good processor that should give you more than acceptable performance in nearly everything.

[/URL]

I haven't decided on which GTX 980 I'm getting, not really sure what the differences are between them. The case I currently have is just really small and overheats quite often, I was thinking something along the lines of Corsair 500R or the Enthoo Pro.

LAA

Yeah, there shouldn't be any problems at all.

Yes, it works. You'll barely have clearance for the heatsink, but it'll be compatible.

Thanks man. Looking at that link though, it says 158 is the limit, and the cooler is actually slightly over...

Changed the fan and found a case on there which looks very similar to the case I want, maybe evne identical,except colour, but can't be sure.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/cHGcLk

Any problems with this build?

Really appreciate the help guys

RGM79

Thanks man. Looking at that link though, it says 158 is the limit, and the cooler is actually slightly over...

Changed the fan and found a case on there which looks very similar to the case I want, maybe evne identical,except colour, but can't be sure.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/cHGcLk

Any problems with this build?

Really appreciate the help guys

I would recommend staying with the 212 Evo heatsink, it is much better than the compact heatsink in terms of noise, cooling ability, as well as as being able to handle overclocking. The Aerocool X3 case you chose is wider and will accommodate heatsinks up to 186mm height, so you should definitely go with the larger cooler.

Glass

Thanks for the replies regarding my fan, I realised I'd been mounting it wrong this whole time, but took everything apart for the first time (friend put my the rig together for me) and managed to put it all back together in one piece without anything catching fire. Feels good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom