• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAA

Found this neat site yesterday to add components you want it checks prices from a variety of sources.

What do you people think?

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/B7YJQ7

Unsure about the PSU, could use advice there, same for motherboard and fan. Would love to get it as low as possible really. £1300 would be ideal to me really, but looking at sub £1500.

Mainly want to use this for VR (Gaming)

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Seems like you have a good plan.

Depending on how long you wait, by the time you are ready to buy, Intel's new Skylake processor and socket 1151 motherboards will have been announced or released. They're meant to supplant and eventually replace the current generation of Z97 stuff, so that might be something to look forward to. DDR4, USB 3.1, USB type C, etc.

Thanks. A buddy of mine gave me the same advice about processors. If prices aren't outrageous, I can hold off.

kennah

Found this neat site yesterday to add components you want it checks prices from a variety of sources.

What do you people think?

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/B7YJQ7

Unsure about the PSU, could use advice there, same for motherboard and fan. Would love to get it as low as possible really. £1300 would be ideal to me really, but looking at sub £1500.

Mainly want to use this for VR (Gaming)
Don't bother with SLI 980. Just get a 980 ti.

Other than that looks solid.

EU-GAF, is this obtainable in the EU?

41oNE2XwwwL.jpg

Costs $60 overseas and from what I've read it's the best PC duster out there.

Found one on Amazon.de for 140EUR (!!!!!!). Crazy.

Anyone got anything similar to recommend? Air cans are not sustainable long term. I really want something good and future proof.

I went insane and bought it from amazon.de.

It was 113€ then though, lol.

LAA

Don't bother with SLI 980. Just get a 980 ti.

Other than that looks solid.

Appreciate the advice. under £1300 too, very tempting.
Reason I was interested in SLI was it's use in VR though, is it still worth ditching them for the 980Ti? Or is the Ti more powerful than them in SLI so cancels out the advantage?

cluderi

I got from amazon for £169. VA panel which is what I wanted, plus HDMI input for my PSTV/PS3, and basic speakers which are enough for my console gaming. I like it, but I don't know what reviews say about lag.

Cheers, I'll add the BENQ to the list and do some reading up on VA panels. Mine would be mostly for 1080p gaming and work stuff so I guess I need to work out which is best.

Blitzhex

41oNE2XwwwL.jpg

Anyone got anything similar to recommend? Air cans are not sustainable long term. I really want something good and future proof.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._ED_500_220V_DataVac_Electric_Duster_500.html
There's a few 220v for $70ish amazon.com (US) as well.
You'd have to use a freight forwarder to ship these to eu, would probably be cheaper than getting direct fedex shipping or w/e.

There's no alternative apart from buying an air compressor and managing the psi on them.

I need to put more 8 gigs on my rig so I can have a total of 16 gigs, is a general rule of thumb to have same brand memsticks?
Currently I got this
(two) 4GB DDR3 Kingston CL9 PC3-12800 (1600) HyperX Blu Black

Martal

Neo Member
It's not worth it buying a new AM3 motherboard. It's a dead socket.

Before spending money, have you cleaned your heatsinks lately?

I have tried it, yes. Didn't help much but I can't say it didn't have 0 effect. 2 things I think might help :

Getting a bigger case to help my components "breathe".

Hooking up my 2nd case fan directly to the Psu. I am correct in assuming I'd have 0 control over the speed of it? Might that mean it'll be super loud?

ricki42

I need to put more 8 gigs on my rig so I can have a total of 16 gigs, is a general rule of thumb to have same brand memsticks?
Currently I got this

I think it's more important that the sticks require the same voltage and run at the same speed. If the speeds are different, the faster one will have to run at the slower speed.

RGM79

With multi displays how do you go about hooking them up if the monitors only have 2 x HDMI and 1 x DSUB connection?

Card I'd be looking at is a GTX 960, which has 1 XHDMI port and a load of displayports and a a couple of DVI outputs?

Do you just get a DP-HDMI cable?

Sorry for the noob question.
I think displayport to HDMI requires some kind of active or powered converter, which costs quite a bit of money.

You can get passive DVI to HDMI or DVI to DSUB/VGA adaptors or cables for cheap and they'll work just fine, though. DVI is carrying the same signals, you just need the right connector.

The other around actually :) Sorry, maybe that was confusing, English isn't my first language.

Basically your PSU has a certain efficiency, say 90% at 100% load (that would be really good), which means 90% of the energy it draws from the wall will go to your components, while the other 10% will just be wasted by your PSU (i.e. it'll generate hot air). Simple example: at some point it draws 500W from the wall; at 90% efficiency 450W of those go to the components, while 50W will be hot air (wasted).

Maybe that's what confused you: Those 432W that I was talking about, that's what your own PSU can do on the 12V rails. It's rated for 500W and it can do these 500, but it can't do all of those 500W on the 12V rails, which is far the most important rail for every gaming PC (GPU, CPU get all there power through the 12V rail). But as I said, you'll be fine, maybe buy one of those kill o watt (?) things to see how much your PC draws from the wall, just to make sure.

Edit: I realize now that you were referring to the official specs on the 500 watt ModXStream label, which does state 432 watts. Oddly enough, the review I linked to above claims somewhat higher performance is possible, and that the PSU was nearly identical to its 600 watt sibling unit. It might be a case of OCZ intentionally under-rating the design because they were either working with limited range of parts and designs from a supplier (hence the similarity between the 500 and 600 watt units) or their own testing made them uncertain about rating the PSU for any output above 432 watts from the 12V rails.

In overload testing Hardware Secrets was able to pull 480 watts from the two 12V rails combined, so maybe it is somewhat more capable as long as the unit is kept running cool. Of course, running a unit that close to its limits isn't good, and the unit is already kinda old.

I guess the conclusion is "it should work fine, but exercise caution".

Currently I got this
Matching brand isn't that big of an issue, but speed, voltage, and latency is. Even then, mismatched RAM will be set to the same speed by motherboard BIOS. Memory compatibility is sometimes finicky, so for best practice and results you want new RAM to match your old RAM as much as possible (because you know the RAM you have already works).

baphomet

Appreciate the advice. under £1300 too, very tempting.
Reason I was interested in SLI was it's use in VR though, is it still worth ditching them for the 980Ti? Or is the Ti more powerful than them in SLI so cancels out the advantage?

The sli will be more powerful and should be much better for VR.

Akai__

I have a Laptop related problem. My brother poured his drink over his Laptop Keyboard, but luckily the Laptop or the Keyboard wasn't damaged, but just sticky. He opened his Laptop, removed the Keyboard with this instuction, cleaned the Keyboard, let it dry for 2 days and put it back in.

Now we have the problem, that the Keyboard doesn't accept several inputs or it outputs different characters. Did he destroy his Keyboard? Before you ask, the warranty already expired. :(

What do we do now?

RGM79

I have a Laptop related problem. My brother poured his drink over his Laptop Keyboard, but luckily the Laptop or the Keyboard wasn't damaged, but just sticky. He opened his Laptop, removed the Keyboard with this instuction, cleaned the Keyboard, let it dry for 2 days and put it back in.

Now we have the problem, that the Keyboard doesn't accept several inputs or it outputs different characters. Did he destroy his Keyboard? Before you ask, the warranty already expired. :(

What do we do now?

Maybe the keyboard cable wasn't attached properly? Detach and try reattaching it.

this_multiverse

Neo Member

41oNE2XwwwL.jpg

I got this one a month ago with the $5 mini attachments and it has changed my life, the dust armies are getting annihilated and everything is spotless. 10/10.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006HUYGM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Not sure if it's cheaper for your location but figured I'd suggest this to anyone looking for dusting solutions.

i need help. i am just building a pc for my relative who is in another country and someone will be doing the assembly. here are the specs that i suggested.

intel i5-4460
320gb hdd 5400 rpm
4gb ddr3-ram 1333 mhz
standard motherboard with lga 1150
300-watt psu bronze-certified
case
1080p 60hz led monitor
usb keyboard and mouse
windows 8.1

the person who's going to do the assembly said the parts are not compatible and it will be hard to find components that are compatible with win8.1.

i'm sitting here thinking, "what?" as the parts i suggested are standard fare and it's the first time i am hearing of hardware incompatibility with win8.1 with such standard hardware.

looking for advice in here.

dude said the parts are incompatible with each other.

again, pretty sure i looked into which socket type the cpu goes to and that cpu don't have memory controllers for ram slower than 1333 mhz.

again, i am very confused. i am also pretty sure the psu is enough at 300 watts.

Everything looks fine to me, I have no idea what the dude is even talking about and I dunno if I would trust him to assemble it for you if he thinks an i5 and 4GB RAM won't fly with Win8.1

i trust meatfist but i also need another person to confirm just so to quell my confusion. anyone?

RGM79

i trust meatfist but i also need another person to confirm just so to quell my confusion. anyone?

I really don't see any reason why those parts won't work, although if you could link us to the actual parts, we might see why he thinks it's incompatible.

Have you tried asking him exactly what's wrong with the parts list?

Just did that. Seems like the same result.

It's really hard to say exactly what's wrong. Maybe look for a replacement keyboard on sites like ebay?

I really don't see any reason why those parts won't work, although if you could link us to the actual parts, we might see why he thinks it's incompatible.

Have you tried asking him exactly what's wrong with the parts list?

It's really hard to say exactly what's wrong. Maybe look for a replacement keyboard on sites like ebay?

no, but again that is exactly the ones that i wrote on my email, expecting the guy to pick out the specific brands within those guidelines, because that's what i am not too familiar with (the differences between brands of pc components).

i do not know their inventory in that country, nor do i know the best back for your buck brands that they have. so yeah.

the one research that i have done was the cpu, found which socket it uses and what ram it is compatible with.

this is seriously frustrating. they are charging like 800$+ for those specs. you've got to be kidding me.

RGM79

no, but again that is exactly the ones that i wrote on my email, expecting the guy to pick out the specific brands within those guidelines, because that's what i am not too familiar with (the differences between brands of pc components).

i do not know their inventory in that country, nor do i know the best back for your buck brands that they have. so yeah.

the one research that i have done was the cpu, found which socket it uses and what ram it is compatible with.

this is seriously frustrating. they are charging like 800$+ for those specs. you've got to be kidding me.

I wonder if he's screwing with you. Any socket 1150 motherboard is recent enough to support Windows 8.1, and nothing you stated is very old or out of place. I can understand if there was a specific part you named that wouldn't work well.. but since you described vague specs that you expected him to find parts for.. it should be fine.

You need to ask him for an explanation, if nothing else.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Edit: I realize now that you were referring to the official specs on the 500 watt ModXStream label, which does state 432 watts. Oddly enough, the review I linked to above claims somewhat higher performance is possible, and that the PSU was nearly identical to its 600 watt sibling unit. It might be a case of OCZ intentionally under-rating the design because they were either working with limited range of parts and designs from a supplier (hence the similarity between the 500 and 600 watt units) or their own testing made them uncertain about rating the PSU for any output above 432 watts from the 12V rails.

In overload testing Hardware Secrets was able to pull 480 watts from the two 12V rails combined, so maybe it is somewhat more capable as long as the unit is kept running cool. Of course, running a unit that close to its limits isn't good, and the unit is already kinda old.

I guess the conclusion is "it should work fine, but exercise caution".

Thanks for the assistance! In that case, replacing the PSU would be a better idea? Or should I just see how my system runs with the 970?

RGM79

Thanks for the assistance! In that case, replacing the PSU would be a better idea? Or should I just see how my system runs with the 970?

I guess I'm gonna change what I said earlier

I still don't think you quite need to replace your PSU yet, but if you wanted to and you had the money to spend, it'd be understandable. If you were going to overclock, then yeah, I think you could replace your PSU.

Wow, I was really going to go after the Phanteks Enthoo Pro, but wow, the Fractal Design Define S is a damn gorgeous case and exactly what I'm looking for. No ODD drives, lots of cooling, and great cable management and HDD/SDD locations. And that PRICE.

The sli will be more powerful and should be much better for VR.
No, just get the 980ti. It'll be powerful enough for VR and a single gpu is always preferable. If you look at that MSI 6G GTX 980ti review, it beats the titan x in most benches and is withing 4-10 frames of the sli 980 in benchmarks. You can sli later if it is not enough for you. But I would definitely recommend the ti over sli.

Cost of sli on the now irrelevant 980 is not worthave it.

What's up guys. In about a month or 2, I'll finally be able to upgrade my almost 9 year old PC. Now, this also means that I have absolutely no idea about building a PC or choosing my parts wisely. So I'm hoping your expertise can help me get the best bang for my buck, cause I've waited a long time for this day
that still has to come

I'm looking at a budget of €750 or about $850 without OS/Monitor/Keyboard/Mouse. I'm willing to go over it a bit if there's something that can be considered a must have. I live in Belgium but can have my parts shipped to some friends in the Netherlands if that makes things easier (NewEgg?).

I'll be checking out quite a few new games since a whole library will open up for me, so I will spend quite a bit of time playing games on this build, but it will be used for general use a lot as well (I also see myself playing a 'Football Manager' game again in the future, which I guess needs a lot of processing power if I'd like to load a lot of leagues).

I'm not too obsessed with the 120 FPS/4K/ULTRA Settings for latest games, but I would like a rig which could show me what I've been missing in the graphical department all these years, if that's possible. So just the normal 30 to 60 FPS stuff is fine by me.

Also, the looks or colors of the parts/case aren't important to me at all. As long as they're effective and do their job, I'm fine with the aesthetics.

If I need to add any more info, I'll be happy to provide it!

Liquid_015

Gold Member
I guess I'm gonna change what I said earlier

I still don't think you quite need to replace your PSU yet, but if you wanted to and you had the money to spend, it'd be understandable. If you were going to overclock, then yeah, I think you could replace your PSU.

Ah ok... so pretty much stick with the current one, and by overclocking you mean overclocking the CPU correct (If so, I won't be OCing the CPU)?

NawtKool

Neo Member
Im also about to buy a 970. After lots of research and reviews etc I think im going to go for the MSI twinfrozer

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NOP536Y/

Yeah after skimming the internet for awhile, MSI and Gigabyte seemed to be the popular choices. Originally, I was thinking about suggesting him EVGA, but read places that their cooler design wasn't the best. My friend originally had a Zotac though, and I'm not entirely familiar with them (apparently they too did not have the best cooler design).

In any case, I'll just show him MSI and Gigabyte. I have faith in those two brands anyways :).

baphomet

No, just get the 980ti. It'll be powerful enough for VR and a single gpu is always preferable. If you look at that MSI 6G GTX 980ti review, it beats the titan x in most benches and is withing 4-10 frames of the sli 980 in benchmarks. You can sli later if it is not enough for you. But I would definitely recommend the ti over sli.

Cost of sli on the now irrelevant 980 is not worthave it.

For VR sli will be preferable.

And where are you getting 4-10 frames? From everything I'm seeing 4-10 is the extreme low end difference. It seems to stay around 20fps more with the sli, up to the 40s. Obviously it depends on the game, but don't bullshit the guy.

Uh... Hello
I'm sorry to interrupt, but I have a question.

What is needed to play Witcher 3 at 60fps with the latest patch?
HairWorks off and shadows at low. 1080p.

Thanks!

Kayant

Yeah after skimming the internet for awhile, MSI and Gigabyte seemed to be the popular choices. Originally, I was thinking about suggesting him EVGA, but read places that their cooler design wasn't the best. My friend originally had a Zotac though, and I'm not entirely familiar with them (apparently they too did not have the best cooler design).

In any case, I'll just show him MSI and Gigabyte. I have faith in those two brands anyways :).

EVGA should be fine also as long as it's not the 1.0 coolers which were the ones that had issues and are not on sale anymore. ACX 2.0/+, FTW 2.0/+ are good choices also.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_970_SC_ACX_Cooler/29.html
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2014/09/19/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-review/11
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...vga-geforce-gtx-970-ftw-acx-2-0-review-4.html

RGM79

Uh... Hello
I'm sorry to interrupt, but I have a question.

What is needed to play Witcher 3 at 60fps with the latest patch?
HairWorks off and shadows at low. 1080p.

Thanks!

Everything else maxed out? According to Eurogamer's benchmarks (no Hairworks), maybe the GTX 970 is your best bet for the money, especially if overclocked or with most settings at high or ultra but with a few settings turned down slightly. See the left hand side notes about "High-end PCs: recommended settings", assuming the rest of your PC more or less meets those specs.

The rest of your PC's specs will also make a difference. If you want a solid 60FPS all the way through the game, you'll have to turn down settings even more in anticipation of the busier or more complex parts of the games that will drive down framerate. Performance in a rural setting is nothing like that of a town, of course.

LAA

For VR sli will be preferable.

And where are you getting 4-10 frames? From everything I'm seeing 4-10 is the extreme low end difference. It seems to stay around 20fps more with the sli, up to the 40s. Obviously it depends on the game, but don't bullshit the guy.

Quite a contradiction around... ha ha.
I was doing research, and apparently nvidia were said to be working on SLI VR direct, which was to make it so each GPU worked on rendering for each screen, however it seems to be quiet on that front. I also read two GPUs have an input lag, if nvidia were working on this tech, I would think they would be resolving that somehow, but I don't know. The more I'm reading, the more it seems SLI isn't the obvious perfect choice for VR neccessarily.

Would love more advice on this. The 980Ti does actually drop the price into a..."I'm very happy to buy at this price" zone, while the 2x980 takes some consideration and I'd have to know it'd be better, and more importantly, how much better

SLX

Banned
Hey guys looking for a new monitor, honestly I don't care what resolution I game at...I just want no input lag, fastest refresh time, etc. What's the best monitor for my needs?

baphomet

Do what I just did. Buy 2 980 ti's ;)

I'm just going off what Krejlooc has said. He runs a company devoted to VR and has said 980 sli would be a great setup for VR in that price point. This was before the 980 ti released, but I believe it still holds true. You could always pm him. Guy knows his stuff.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'd be dubious about buying dual 980's now with HBM1/HBM2 relatively close. A single 980Ti is what I would go for because of SLi issues with titles and frame delay. There has to be proven tech to make use of it correctly without it messing up and I think by that time HBM1/2 cards will be out that will be better suited to it so no point to double down on 980's at this point.

LAA

I'd be dubious about buying dual 980's now with HBM1/HBM2 relatively close. A single 980Ti is what I would go for because of SLi issues with titles and frame delay. There has to be proven tech to make use of it correctly without it messing up and I think by that time HBM1/2 cards will be out that will be better suited to it so no point to double down on 980's at this point.

Had no idea about PC related developments, so HBM1/2 do seem quite big jumps, at least in bandwidth, so...maybe I'll hold off. How does pricing work for newer models though? Do they like...replace the existing models in terms of price and the existing models lower in price, or are the newer models just released and have a higher price?

Do what I just did. Buy 2 980 ti's ;)

I'm just going off what Krejlooc has said. He runs a company devoted to VR and has said 980 sli would be a great setup for VR in that price point. This was before the 980 ti released, but I believe it still holds true. You could always pm him. Guy knows his stuff.

Haha, I'm not bullshitting the guy, but no need for a recommendation that isn't an obvious choice. Especially when it's going to be costing him around 400 more.

As for 20-40fps "dom't bullshit part", I'm just going off the limited benchmarks I have. The 980 sli reviews were before the ti released and the 980ti reviews don't seem to bother testing against SLI. However in one of the most demanding games of the year,

http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?ct=...dmin=0a8fcaad6b03da6a6895d1ada2e171002a287bc1

http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?ct=...dmin=0a8fcaad6b03da6a6895d1ada2e171002a287bc1

Just saying, 980ti is enough horsepower for VR especially for now. In a year or so he could pickup another ti if he pleases. Or buy a pascal GPU that will most likely wipe the floor with both. Saving him money, latency, input lag, and frustration with SLI profiles in the meanwhile.

x3sphere

I've had a 980 SLI setup, I'd go with a single 980 Ti over it. More consistent experience, overclocked around 1400 MHz a 980 Ti can match 980 SLI (stock) too. In games where SLI doesn't scale well like Witcher 3 the Ti blows right past it.

LAA

Thanks for the help and advice guys! I've seen on other videos too that SLI can be quite inconsistent on a lot of things, I'm not sure I can see them changing it so well for VR, when they havent done it on an "easier" platform in more ways already, as VR needs to have low input lag and low latency to actually work correctly, and SLI seems to add to that from what I'm seeing. On a single screen perhaps it's not as much of a problem.
My first (Desktop) PC and to build too, so grateful for the help.

Pretty much the only question in my head now is whether to wait for the HBM1/2, and that really depends on if they're going to be sky high in price, or if they "inherit" the price of the existing units.

RGM79

Any real life difference between samsung 850 pro and evo ?
the price difference here between them is little more than $120.

The Evo is much better from a price-to-performance point of view. Unless you're working in some kind of professional or high performance environment where the Pro's advantages really make a difference, the Evo is recommended instead. You can read about some of the differences here. Performance-wise, here's how the 250/256GB models stack up, and the 500/512GB models.

LAA

OK guys, been tweaking around with proposed set up more...
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/9GxYK8

I didn't quite like the previous case, but I love the look of this one (Which doesnt seem to be on this site), http://www.scan.co.uk/products/aerocool-x-predator-x1-evil-all-black-gaming-case-120mm-orange-led-quiet-fan-w-o-psu

Problem is I'm not sure if my proposed components will fit. Other question is the PSU. Should I be wanting a Full or Semi PSU? And similar question to above, would it fit in this case? Really open to suggestions about the case/PSU.

Appreciate any help

Azzurri

Gold Member
Quite a contradiction around... ha ha.
I was doing research, and apparently nvidia were said to be working on SLI VR direct, which was to make it so each GPU worked on rendering for each screen, however it seems to be quiet on that front. I also read two GPUs have an input lag, if nvidia were working on this tech, I would think they would be resolving that somehow, but I don't know. The more I'm reading, the more it seems SLI isn't the obvious perfect choice for VR neccessarily.

Would love more advice on this. The 980Ti does actually drop the price into a..."I'm very happy to buy at this price" zone, while the 2x980 takes some consideration and I'd have to know it'd be better, and more importantly, how much better

I was in the same situation as you, and I said fuck it and bough another 980 for $380. I figure I can still get 300 plus in a year for each if I want to go Pascal next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom