• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh ya, hit the lottery with my MSI 6G 980ti, dat 82.2% asic quality tho.

K4UduMt.png

komplanen

Anecdotally I have not had an issue with my 4+ year old seagate drive and my new 2TB SSHD one(8+ months so far). Personally don't put too much weight into that image because these failures are based on enterprise/servers workloads which are not comparable to our daily workloads.

Still the study can be useful IMO but not as an all in compassing result for hard drive failure.

Which one would you buy?

Seagate hard drive with proven track record of being complete shit in enterprise / server space but one guy on NeoGAF said they're fine?

Western Digital or Hitachi drive with proven performance in enterprise / server space for $5 bucks more but that one guy on NeoGAF said he doesn't have one?

:)

ricki42

So my PC died and I could use some advice since I'm just gonna start from scratch now.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($146.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($165.05 @ Amazon)
Video Card: ???
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($107.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: ???
Total: $890.98

Is the 4790K a huge performance increase over the 4690K? Any suggestions on better motherboards? Also need a graphics card. I don't think I want to pony up enough for a 980. Only running at 1080, preferably 60 fps, don't mind turning down settings too much. Finally just because I'm getting a nice case I'd like a modular power supply so it's nice and neat. Unless the cable management in the R5 make a modular one pointless. Probably want to end up at about ~$1300 or so.

I have a very similar build, same CPU on same motherboard in a Define R4. Very happy with it. Get low profile RAM though. The Hyper 212 will fit next to 2 sticks of high RAM, but if you decide to get a bigger cooler or more RAM at some point, you'll have to move the cooler fan up.
I also got the Hyper 212 initially, but then decided to get a Noctua NH-D14, which gave me some extra overclocking headroom. The Noctua fans are kind of ugly though, so maybe check out the Phanteks PH-TC14PE instead, even comes in different colours. The Hyper 212 is also fine though.
As for PSU, NCIX currently has a really good price on the EVGA G2 750W, it's a very good PSU.
I don't really know about GPUs, if you want nvidia I guess 970 is the way to go, I don't know about AMD.
I you use the PC mostly for gaming, you could also get the 4690K as you said, won't be much (if any) of a difference, and put the money towards a better video card.

Kayant

Which one would you buy?

Seagate hard drive with proven track record of being complete shit in enterprise / server space but one guy on NeoGAF said they're fine?

Western Digital or Hitachi drive with proven performance in enterprise / server space for $5 bucks more but that one guy on NeoGAF said he doesn't have one?

:)

I never said they were fine ;) I just said it's shouldn't be taken as a definitive result for hard drive failure because of using consumer drives in enterprise / server space with different workloads isn't completely comparable.

Anyways I would listen to my wallet and go with the cheapest option ;)
So my PC died and I could use some advice since I'm just gonna start from scratch now.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($114.99 @ Newegg)

Is the 4790K a huge performance increase over the 4690K? Any suggestions on better motherboards? Also need a graphics card. I don't think I want to pony up enough for a 980. Only running at 1080, preferably 60 fps, don't mind turning down settings too much. Finally just because I'm getting a nice case I'd like a modular power supply so it's nice and neat. Unless the cable management in the R5 make a modular one pointless. Probably want to end up at about ~$1300 or so.

See here for i5 vs i7. If purely gaming i5 is a better buy. In terms of GPU I would go with 970, 290 or 390 seeing as you don't mind turning down some settings when needed and the next step up is a fairly big increase in price.

Alucrid

Banned
I have a very similar build, same CPU on same motherboard in a Define R4. Very happy with it. Get low profile RAM though. The Hyper 212 will fit next to 2 sticks of high RAM, but if you decide to get a bigger cooler or more RAM at some point, you'll have to move the cooler fan up.
I also got the Hyper 212 initially, but then decided to get a Noctua NH-D14, which gave me some extra overclocking headroom. The Noctua fans are kind of ugly though, so maybe check out the Phanteks PH-TC14PE instead, even comes in different colours. The Hyper 212 is also fine though.
As for PSU, NCIX currently has a really good price on the EVGA G2 750W, it's a very good PSU.
I don't really know about GPUs, if you want nvidia I guess 970 is the way to go, I don't know about AMD.
I you use the PC mostly for gaming, you could also get the 4690K as you said, won't be much (if any) of a difference, and put the money towards a better video card.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll take a look into those other coolers, looks don't bother me much since (after my antec 900) I don't want any windows due to all the LEDs manufactures like to put in.

I never said they were fine ;) I just said it's shouldn't be taken as a definitive result for hard drive failure because of using consumer drives in enterprise / server space with different workloads isn't completely comparable.

Anyways I would listen to my wallet and go with the cheapest option ;)

See here for i5 vs i7. If purely gaming i5 is a better buy. In terms of GPU I would go with 970, 290 or 390 seeing as you don't mind turning down some settings when needed and the next step up is a fairly big increase in price.

Yeah, it's pretty much only gaming. I'm assuming that applies for emulation (PCSX2) as well in regards to the processor? I was definitely leaning towards the 970 series, but I assume any with decent reviews and whatever has the best deal / pack ins should be fine?

Kayant

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll take a look into those other coolers, looks don't bother me much since (after my antec 900) I don't want any windows due to all the LEDs manufactures like to put in.

Yeah, it's pretty much only gaming. I'm assuming that applies for emulation (PCSX2) as well in regards to the processor? I was definitely leaning towards the 970 series, but I assume any with decent reviews and whatever has the best deal / pack ins should be fine?

Yh as for emulator you can always over clock to get better performance as you're buying a unlocked processor otherwise if you're not comfort with overclocking the i7 comes with a stock 4Ghz clock which helps in emulation if am not wrong.

RGM79

If the build is for gaming, the i5 4690K is a cheaper yet just as effective choice. The Z97-A motherboard is kinda expensive, it was around $130 or a bit under not too long ago, and I think there are better choices for less money. The RAM is also a bit expensive.

Nothing wrong with the Fractal Define R5, it's a great case. A cheaper alternative might be the Fractal Define S, it's quite similar in design except it has a more open interior and lacks drive cages. I'd recommend the following, which comes in well under $1300.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($95.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($90.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0 Video Card ($314.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1058.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-03 16:04 EDT-0400

If you wanted to maximize the kind of graphics card power you can get.. You could drop down to a 250GB SSD and then you'd have enough room in your $1300 budget to go for a GTX 980 Ti, and then the build would look like this:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($95.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($90.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($84.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($649.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1313.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-03 16:08 EDT-0400

Alucrid

Banned
Yh as for emulator you can always over clock to get better performance as you're buying a unlocked processor otherwise if you're not comfort with overclocking the i7 comes with a stock 4Ghz clock which helps in emulation if am not wrong.

Yeah, overclocking shouldn't be an issue, did it previously with my E8500.

If the build is for gaming, the i5 4690K is a cheaper yet just as effective choice. The Z97-A motherboard is kinda expensive, it was around $130 or a bit under not too long ago. The RAM is also a bit expensive.

Nothing wrong with the Fractal Define R5, it's a great case. A cheaper alternative might be the Fractal Define S, it's quite similar in design except it has a more open interior and lacks drive cages. I'd recommend the following, which comes in well under $1300.

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0 Video Card ($314.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1058.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-03 16:04 EDT-0400

If you wanted to maximize the kind of graphics card power you can get.. You could drop down to a 250GB SSD and then you'd have enough room in your $1300 budget to go for a GTX 980 Ti.

Thanks, that's definitely looking good. Comes well under what I was expecting to spend, so I'll definitely be looking at some other graphics cards.

Chesskid1

Banned
i was kinda bored so i was the reading about my monitor i bought a few months ago on various PC forums (LG29UM65) and people were talking about overclocking it..
i went from 60hz to 74hz, not really sure if there's a difference or it's just placebo but it feels smoother? idk. pretty cool i guess.

Vuze

So I think I need to get a non-stock cooler due to the temperatures here, it just isn't cutting it anymore.
Wanted to replace it months ago but yeah, lazyness and all.
Which one would you guys recommend for a i5 4570 (non K; socket 1150)?
My brother owns the same case and uses a 160mm high CPU fan; that's the max the case can stomach.

Now thinking about it, I should probably up my cooling in general.
I've room for five more 120mm fans (2x front, 2x top, 1x bottom), a single back fan is already used.
Any personal favorites in terms of airflow guides/charts and 120 fans you could link me to?

Thanks!

j-wood

So in preparation for getting my new 1TB drives in on Monday (to setup in a raid), i opened up my case to re cable some things, clean it up. I also had to move my current hard drives to new SATA ports.

So my motherboard has 8 SATA ports. 4 of them are SATA 3 (6gbps) and the other 4 are SATA 2 (3gbps).

Here is my conundrum. Of the 4 SATA 3 ports, 2 of them use the intel chipset and the other 2 use a marvell chipset. Only the intel ones support Raid.

So i had to move my existing SSD and HHD over to the marvel port. In the bios I had to set these ports to be bootable and it said they recommended to use the intel ones for booting so it would be faster. When I booted it, it had to load the marvell stuff, then it proceeded to boot into windows. It wasn't too much extra time, but that was definitely an added step as compared to when these drives were on the intel ports.

Is there any other negatives to using those marvell ports that I haven't seen yet? Once windows starting booting it seemed just as fast as normal considering it's on an SSD.

I'm wondering if I should move my existing drives back to the intel ports and setup my raid on the SATA 2, or just keep my drives where they are now and put my raid on the SATA 3.

RGM79

So in preparation for getting my new 1TB drives in on Monday (to setup in a raid), i opened up my case to re cable some things, clean it up. I also had to move my current hard drives to new SATA ports.

So my motherboard has 8 SATA ports. 4 of them are SATA 3 (6gbps) and the other 4 are SATA 2 (3gbps).

Here is my conundrum. Of the 4 SATA 3 ports, 2 of them use the intel chipset and the other 2 use a marvell chipset. Only the intel ones support Raid.

So i had to move my existing SSD and HHD over to the marvel port. In the bios I had to set these ports to be bootable and it said they recommended to use the intel ones for booting so it would be faster. When I booted it, it had to load the marvell stuff, then it proceeded to boot into windows. It wasn't too much extra time, but that was definitely an added step as compared to when these drives were on the intel ports.

Is there any other negatives to using those marvell ports that I haven't seen yet? Once windows starting booting it seemed just as fast as normal considering it's on an SSD.

I'm wondering if I should move my existing drives back to the intel ports and setup my raid on the SATA 2, or just keep my drives where they are now and put my raid on the SATA 3.

What motherboard do you have?

So I think I need to get a non-stock cooler due to the temperatures here, it just isn't cutting it anymore.
Wanted to replace it months ago but yeah, lazyness and all.
Which one would you guys recommend for a i5 4570 (non K; socket 1150)?
My brother owns the same case and uses a 160mm high CPU fan; that's the max the case can stomach.

Now thinking about it, I should probably up my cooling in general.
I've room for five more 120mm fans (2x front, 2x top, 1x bottom), a single back fan is already used.
Any personal favorites in terms of airflow guides/charts and 120 fans you could link me to?

Thanks!
Cooler Master 212 Evo is the usual recommendation for cheap and effective, although there are other choices that have easier installation methods.

Vuze

Cooler Master 212 Evo is the usual recommendation for cheap and effective, although there are other choices that have easier installation methods.
Yeah, that's the one my brother uses. Was quite a pain in the ass to install indeed, so I'd appreciate a few other, easier to install suggestions, I'd say 50-70 is my budget (incl. 120mm fans). But thanks so far!

comrade

Yeah, that's the one my brother uses. Was quite a pain in the ass to install indeed, so I'd appreciate a few other, easier to install suggestions, I'd say 50-70 is my budget (incl. 120mm fans). But thanks so far!

You could get this. A bit sexier then the h212+ evo. Evo really isn't that bad to install though.

Sorry for the double post.

j-wood

Does it specifically say the Marvell controller doesn't support raid? Because I used to have a Asus P67 Pro and the marvell controller support raid. Actually I've never had a motherboard where the Marvell controller didn't support raid. You just had to turn it on in the BIOS.

The manual doesn't list the Marvell supporting raid but it specifically lists the intel one as such

RGM79

The cheap suggestion would be the Cryorig H5 Universal ($47). It's a large cooler that takes 140mm fans but has a relatively easy and compact installation method that should just fit into your case, as it is also 160mm tall overall.

Noctua is known for having coolers that are a bit on the pricey side, but well-engineered and easy to install. I had a chance to play with one of their higher end models a few months ago and it was quite nice, it even included a long L-handle screwdriver in case the user doesn't have a long enough screwdriver to comfortably tighten down screws. As I understand it, the Phanteks PH-TC14PE (as low as $65 in a variety of colors) is nearly a clone of the extremely highly rated Noctua NH-D14 cooler and also features a similar mounting system, although I am pretty sure Phanteks does not include a screwdriver. The Noctua NH-D14 ($75) and NH-D15 ($90) are more expensive.

As for specific fans to recommend, I'm not totally sure, I'm not too knowledgable about fans. There's this review comparison between the Phanteks TC14PE and Noctua NH-D15 that includes a few different fans, though.

comrade

The manual doesn't list the Marvell supporting raid but it specifically lists the intel one as such

It should support raid. I looked up the controller on your motherboard and it's Marvell SE9120. That's the same controller that was in my Asus P67 Pro and it supported raid. I think I just had to turn an obvious setting in the BIOS on.

j-wood

So I just did some reading and it seems like 3rd part add on chips likey Marvell are terrible? Would it be better to put my ssd on a sata 2 port that will be intel?

The Marvell controller is SE9120

Edit: looking through my bios I didn't see a raid setting for Marvell. Only to make it bootable.

This is from the spec page:

- 4 x SATA2 3.0 Gb/s connectors, support RAID (RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 10, RAID 5 and Intel® Rapid Storage), NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug functions
- 2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s connectors, support RAID (RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 10, RAID 5 and Intel® Rapid Storage), NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug functions
- 2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s connectors by Marvell SE9120, support NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug functions (SATA3_M2 connector is shared with eSATA3 port)

and looking at the marvel product page it shows the 9120 as "non-RAID" :(

http://www.marvell.com//storage/system-solutions/assets/Marvell-88SE91XX-Host-Controllers.pdf

comrade

So I just did some reading and it seems like 3rd part add on chips likey Marvell are terrible? Would it be better to put my ssd on a sata 2 port that will be intel?

The Marvell controller is SE9120

Edit: looking through my bios I didn't see a raid setting for Marvell. Only to make it bootable.

This is from the spec page:

- 4 x SATA2 3.0 Gb/s connectors, support RAID (RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 10, RAID 5 and Intel® Rapid Storage), NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug functions
- 2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s connectors, support RAID (RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 10, RAID 5 and Intel® Rapid Storage), NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug functions
- 2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s connectors by Marvell SE9120, support NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug functions (SATA3_M2 connector is shared with eSATA3 port)

and looking at the marvel product page it shows the 9120 as "non-RAID" :(

http://www.marvell.com//storage/system-solutions/assets/Marvell-88SE91XX-Host-Controllers.pdf

It's recommended to plug your SSD into the Intel controller.

Vuze

You could get this. A bit sexier then the h212+ evo. Evo really isn't that bad to install though.

Sorry for the double post.

The cheap suggestion would be the Cryorig H5 Universal ($47). It's a large cooler that takes 140mm fans but has a relatively easy and compact installation method that should just fit into your case, as it is also 160mm tall overall.

Noctua is known for having coolers that are a bit on the pricey side, but well-engineered and easy to install. I had a chance to play with one of their higher end models a few months ago and it was quite nice, it even included a long L-handle screwdriver in case the user doesn't have a long enough screwdriver to comfortably tighten down screws. As I understand it, the Phanteks PH-TC14PE (as low as $65 in a variety of colors) is nearly a clone of the extremely highly rated Noctua NH-D14 cooler and also features a similar mounting system, although I am pretty sure Phanteks does not include a screwdriver. The Noctua NH-D14 ($75) and NH-D15 ($90) are more expensive.

As for specific fans to recommend, I'm not totally sure, I'm not too knowledgable about fans. There's this review comparison between the Phanteks TC14PE and Noctua NH-D15 that includes a few different fans, though.
Fantastic, thank you very much! I'll go through them all :)

j-wood

It's recommended to plug your SSD into the Intel controller.

So that would mean either my SSD (containing OS) or my RAID 0 (storage and games) has to go on the SATA 2 ports. Which one?

While I'm at it, I'm just reviewing everything in my build lol. So I have an i7 2600k with just the stock cooler. At idle (browsing web, whatever) it hovers around 42 degree Celsius, drops as low as 36 degrees Celsius.

Playing Witcher 3, my temp jumped up to 88 max, stayed in the 80s though. Am I running into danger? I've had this build since 2011, and really have only upgraded gfx cards (started with a 460, moved to a 660, and just bought a 970). I've never heard any heat warnings or had the PC shut off.

RGM79

So that would mean either my SSD (containing OS) or my RAID 0 (storage and games) has to go on the SATA 2 ports. Which one?

While I'm at it, I'm just reviewing everything in my build lol. So I have an i7 2600k with just the stock cooler. At idle (browsing web, whatever) it hovers around 42 degree Celsius, drops as low as 36 degrees Celsius.

Playing Witcher 3, my temp jumped up to 88 max, stayed in the 80s though. Am I running into danger? I've had this build since 2011, and really have only upgraded gfx cards (started with a 460, moved to a 660, and just bought a 970). I've never heard any heat warnings or had the PC shut off.

That's normal.. for the stock cooler. As long as it doesn't overheat then it's passable but not great. If you want lower temperatures and/or the ability to overclock, look into getting any of the coolers that were mentioned on the last page. Even a cheap one like the 212 Evo for $30 would do wonders to lower your temperatures.

j-wood

That's normal.. for the stock cooler. As long as it doesn't overheat then it's passable but not great. If you want lower temperatures and/or the ability to overclock, look into getting any of the coolers that were mentioned on the last page.

Yeah I stuck with the stock cooler because I don't plan on doing any overclocking. So if that's normal range I'll stick with it. I don't care about temps that much as long as it's not overheating and doing damage.

knitoe

Generally, Marvell controllers sucks. Just connect them all to the Intel ports. Put the 2 raid drives into 6GB slots. All the others to into the 3GB slots.

And, you should get a custom cooler and OC. A 2600K @ 4.2-4.5 GHz is still very capable. While at stock speed, it's a candidate for upgrading.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Quick question, I am planning to build a PC for the living room next year. My budget is ~2000€ excluding peripherals and monitor.

I am in no hurry, so are there any major technological milestones in 2016/2017 that I should wait for?

Quick question, I am planning to build a PC for the living room next year. My budget is ~2000€ excluding peripherals and monitor.

I am in no hurry, so are there any major technological milestones in 2016/2017 that I should wait for?

Skylake/Zen, HBM2, 16nm GPUs, cheaper DDR4... ...pretty much everything unless there are delays.

kennah

Yes. Come back when you are going to buy. Anything we say would be speculation at this point.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Yes. Come back when you are going to buy. Anything we say would be speculation at this point.

I'd be willing to buy one from January 2016 onwards. The only thing I want to avoid is getting hardware with some major development around the corner, not just the usually evolutionary one. I understand that some roadmaps are fairly predictable, like Intel's tic/toc, but I've no overview over things like HBM and whether they are rather evolutionary or more revolutionary.

I guess one important thing would be new tech that cannot be easily upgraded to.

My goal ist to get 60fps and good AA at 1080p. Especially shitty AA is bothering me lately on console.

RGM79

I'd be willing to buy one from January 2016 onwards. The only thing I want to avoid is getting hardware with some major development around the corner, not just the usually evolutionary one. I understand that some roadmaps are fairly predictable, like Intel's tic/toc, but I've no overview over things like HBM and whether they are rather evolutionary or more revolutionary.

I guess one important thing would be new tech that cannot be easily upgraded to.

My goal ist to get 60fps and good AA at 1080p. Especially shitty AA is bothering me lately on console.

As long as you're not buying into Z97 now, you'll be fine. Skylake and Z170 is around the corner, it will become the main consumer product line and eventually replace Z97. It will be the new 1151 socket and DDR4 RAM which is incompatible with existing socket 1150 stuff like Z97 and DDR3.

So building during the fall isn't ideal?

Skylake and Z170 platform will have been released by this Fall. If you wait for that, then you'll be fine for the next few years in terms of motherboard and CPU support and upgrades.

j-wood

Generally, Marvell controllers sucks. Just connect them all to the Intel ports. Put the 2 raid drives into 6GB slots. All the others to into the 3GB slots.

And, you should get a custom cooler and OC. A 2600K @ 4.2-4.5 GHz is still very capable. While at stock speed, it's a candidate for upgrading.

Will I notice performance difference putting my ssd and os on the 3gb port? What makes Marvell so bad?

Darn Fedex changed my delivery from today to the 7th of July...Ugh that's disappointing...Last part to get delivered just happened to be the tower -.- and now I gotta wait 4 extra days. Good thing out of it is amazon is willing to give me a discount on the tower I bought since it'll arrive late..But still this extra wait will be the death of me..

knitoe

Will I notice performance difference putting my ssd and os on the 3gb port? What makes Marvell so bad?

You are not going to notice any or much differences unless you benchmark them. As for why Marvell controllers suck, they claim to be 6GB ports, but they could perform worse than Intel's 3GB ports. Once, I tried running raid 0 SSDs on a Marvell controller and the performance was crap. Thought, there was something wrong with the SSDs. Switch them to the 3GB Intel ports and benchmarking was twice as fast. Sure, best option would have been 6GB Intel ports, but they were already taken. 3GB Intel ports were the second best option. Marvell should be avoided if possible.

If you want, you would test and benchmark yoursel.

j-wood

You are not going to notice any or much differences unless you benchmark them. As for why Marvell controllers suck, they claim to be 6GB ports, but they could perform worse than Intel's 3GB ports. Once, I tried running raid 0 SSDs on a Marvell controller and the performance was crap. Thought, there was something wrong with the SSDs. Switch them to the 3GB Intel ports and benchmarking was twice as fast. Sure, best option would have been 6GB Intel ports, but they were already taken. 3GB Intel ports were the second best option. Marvell should be avoided if possible.

If you want, you would test and benchmark yoursel.

Gotcha. Just to be clear, you think the RAID should go on the 6GB ports and the SSD should go on the 3GB? The SSD is what will house the OS, the RAID will just be storage and game installs

knitoe

Gotcha. Just to be clear, you think the RAID should go on the 6GB ports and the SSD should go on the 3GB? The SSD is what will house the OS, the RAID will just be storage and game installs
What drives are you using in raid? If SSD raid, yes, use the two Intel 6GB ports. The rest in the Intel 3GB ports. If just HDD raid, the Intel 3GB ports are fine for them. Then, the OS SSD can be on the 6GB intel port.

j-wood

What drives are you using in raid? If SSDs raid, yes, use the two Intel 6GB ports. The rest in the Intel 3GB ports. If just HDDs raid, the Intel 3GB ports are fine. Then, the OS SSD can be on the 6GB intel port.

The raid is going to be normal WD blues, 2 1TB drives, 7200rpm. Going to install apps and games on them.

I have a 120GB SSD that will only hold windows.

Yudoken

In my opinion cpu shouldn't get over 80c and gpu under 89c, I have a sli mATX pc and with two 970s (with two fans, not reference design) and the first gpu get's as high as 86c hot if it's really working hard currently.I know intakes would be way better but my temps are safe and my cards are high oc from factory.

knitoe

The raid is going to be normal WD blues, 2 1TB drives, 7200rpm. Going to install apps and games on them.

I have a 120GB SSD that will only hold windows.

Your setup:

120GB SSD in a Intel 6GB port.

WD Blues in the Intel 3GB ports running raid.

As long as you're not buying into Z97 now, you'll be fine. Skylake and Z170 is around the corner, it will become the main consumer product line and eventually replace Z97. It will be the new 1151 socket and DDR4 RAM which is incompatible with existing socket 1150 stuff like Z97 and DDR3.

Skylake and Z170 platform will have been released by this Fall. If you wait for that, then you'll be fine for the next few years in terms of motherboard and CPU support and upgrades.
Sounds like an exciting time! I can't wait to see the line up.

Bowler

I have a new TV Sony xbr 900b. Can I game on it at 4k with what gpu? Or is it handcuffed and need to upgrade gpu and a new monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom