• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Switching ports won't change how Windows sees your drives. You just have to be careful to point your Bios to load up the drive with the Windows boot loader data as the first priority otherwise you will get a "no OS found" error during startup.

Awesome, I'll give it a shot, then. Thanks!

Oh come on !! Lol hopefully that $499.99 price for the 850 pro 512gb in newegg is a pricing error ;_; if not holy shit ;_; hopefully it goes back to $250+ again ;_;

Plasmid

I've been reading that RAM is at a big low in price in recent years. I'm looking for 8GB of space to either fill 1 or two slots. Where / what is the cheapest Ram out at the moment?

Soodanim

For a second monitor can you use a normal 60hz while doing gsync on your main?
I believe you can.

So if for example I have game with the option to change refresh rate and I put it at 144, but it actually runs at 60 or whatever, v-sync won't actually work?

I put in the ICC file that I found, thanks for the help!
You're welcome!

I believe so, yeah. V-Sync works by synchronising the monitor and GPU, so each refresh has a full image to display. If you drop below the set V-Sync fps it loses the sync and you'll start to see tearing again. I don't know about AMD, but NVidia GPUs have several V-Sync options:
•There's one that effectively halves your refresh rate when it can't meet the normal rate (so if you drop below 144, it would limit you to 72fps and V-Sync that rate by displaying each of the 72 frames twice) [This might actually be normal V-Sync, I'm out of practice as I'm a G-Sync man]
•Adaptive V-Sync, which enables V-Sync when you can maintain 144fps and disables it when you can't

Your best bet is to try for some sort of triple buffering solution, as that works by keeping a frame ready to display at all times so you never get the tearing. There's sometimes a minor amount of input delay (I noticed it when I couldn't dodge in Dark Souls, so I turned it off), but for games where you're not trying to work within small frame windows it'll be fine. You can either force that through the GPU control panel or by enabling borderless windowed mode (external programs take care of all that).

I've been reading that RAM is at a big low in price in recent years. I'm looking for 8GB of space to either fill 1 or two slots. Where / what is the cheapest Ram out at the moment?

Sorry mate, you missed out on that. RAM doubled in price (at least it did in the UK) about a year ago. I'd say just go on PC Part Picker and look at the best rated RAM. Depending on your CPU cooler's fan, you might need to get Low Profile (LP) RAM. Doesn't really cost much more, and if you have something like a Hyper 212 cooler you probably need it.

Mystic654

My Very first custom Built PC.

zuZRHpg.jpg

ZJgXHWG.jpg

---

Can't boot it up yet since I'm waiting for some storage drives and my CPU Cooler. Still need to clean some wires up too.

I have loads of general performance tuning questions but there doesn't seem to be a thread for it. I can't create threads, I think it would be a useful resource for new builders. Covering things like NV control panel, RTSS etc.

Also, is a reference 980ti likely to sag over time? Will I need to think about supports? It may be possible to re-route my power cables to pull slightly from above.

So, I'm thinking about ditching my Corsair h60, as it seems to have some problems even after replacing the thermal paste: under load temperatures are too high (stress tests go up to 88C easily), and I want to forget about the pump.

So, I'm thinking about a Noctua dh-15, as I've heard great things about it. Worth it?

I'm on a light overclock, i5 4670k.

The_Poet

Banned
So, I'm thinking about ditching my Corsair h60, as it seems to have some problems even after replacing the thermal paste: under load temperatures are too high (stress tests go up to 88C easily), and I want to forget about the pump.

So, I'm thinking about a Noctua dh-15, as I've heard great things about it. Worth it?

The dh15 is a beast, I got mine second hand for half retail price but even at full price I think its worth it.

(you could probably get away with something cheaper if you are only lightly OCing though)

Moobabe

Hey guys - I'm trying to update my hard drive's drivers, this is the model:

SAMSUNG HD 103SI SCI Disk Device

Now it's not listed on the Samsung website and the drives in device manager say up to date, but they're also listed as 2006.

So I've tried Googling it but I'm getting a load of websites asking me to download some driver scanner instead of what I need. Are any of these trust worthy?

kennah

Hey guys - I'm trying to update my hard drive's drivers, this is the model:

SAMSUNG HD 103SI SCI Disk Device

Now it's not listed on the Samsung website and the drives in device manager say up to date, but they're also listed as 2006.

So I've tried Googling it but I'm getting a load of websites asking me to download some driver scanner instead of what I need. Are any of these trust worthy?
Why do you need to update the drivers? Generally hard drives use the default windows ones.

Moobabe

Why do you need to update the drivers? Generally hard drives use the default windows ones.

I don't necessarily need to - I'm just going through making sure everything is updated because I've had a couple of BSOD and crashes.

One thing - I'm running CPU-Z and it's showing my AMD Radeon R9 200 as having 1024 Memory when it should be 3gig. Is that a problem? Or is it just a way in which CPU-Z displays it?

Edit

Yeah I've got a message saying: "WD SES Device has stopped working 2 time(s)... Go online for product support" - so I thought I might need to update

---

Can't boot it up yet since I'm waiting for some storage drives and my CPU Cooler. Still need to clean some wires up too.

Congrats! Looking great! That monitoring panel on the front looks pretty neat (I'm assuming that's what the small LCD screen is for).

bbd23

guys im not sure if this is the right place for this but my computer has been acting up today.

anytime i try to play a game it just black screens and restarts my computer by itself.

GTX 970 here.

its making me very sad lads.

okay it looks like its been happenign randomly now. any idea what could be causing this? it happened once yesterday but was fine after but now its acting up again? ive searched around and cant find an answer...some say its a power supply thing but I've had this card since April and only now ive run into the issue

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Is 960 4GB a better choice? It's slightly more expensive :/
I don't think 4GB on a 960 is really worth it if you are doing 1080p. You need to give more information like the rest of your system, what games, what resolution, if/when you will upgrade, max budget etc. There's a bullet list in the first post you can use.

zuZRHpg.jpg

ZJgXHWG.jpg

---

Nice!
I have loads of general performance tuning questions but there doesn't seem to be a thread for it. I can't create threads, I think it would be a useful resource for new builders. Covering things like NV control panel, RTSS etc.

Also, is a reference 980ti likely to sag over time? Will I need to think about supports? It may be possible to re-route my power cables to pull slightly from above.
You are free to make a guide and I'll include it in the second post, or PM me when you can make threads and I'll link it.
Stuff sags, just how it is until someone standardizes a cheap propup.

Have you blown out the radiator recently? Also imo nothing extra is needed over a 212 EVO. And this is coming from someone on with a 280mm AIO.
I don't necessarily need to - I'm just going through making sure everything is updated because I've had a couple of BSOD and crashes.

One thing - I'm running CPU-Z and it's showing my AMD Radeon R9 200 as having 1024 Memory when it should be 3gig. Is that a problem? Or is it just a way in which CPU-Z displays it?

Edit

Yeah I've got a message saying: "WD SES Device has stopped working 2 time(s)... Go online for product support" - so I thought I might need to update
I would backup your data immediately first. If you have already done so then run SMART and WD HDD Diagnostics with their program.
Do you mean GPU-Z? Make sure it's updated.
okay it looks like its been happenign randomly now. any idea what could be causing this? it happened once yesterday but was fine after but now its acting up again? ive searched around and cant find an answer...some say its a power supply thing but I've had this card since April and only now ive run into the issue
Unplug and replug all your power and data connections and the card. Rollback your GPU drivers 1 or 2 releases. If still getting it try your other PCI-E slot.

Handal

Hi guys, I got a quick question.

Does the current CPU coolers support Skylake ? I'm planning to buy my PC slowly, and I'm currently looking at the Cooler Master Nepton 240m. Am I safe to buy it now ?

Thanks.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hi guys, I got a quick question.

Does the current CPU coolers support Skylake ? I'm planning to buy my PC slowly, and I'm currently looking at the Cooler Master Nepton 240m. Am I safe to buy it now ?

Thanks.
It looks like it's the same. If it isn't, there are usually some adapter kits that come out which you can buy.
I'd recommend and air cooler though for the cost/money/pump noise.
I'm looking for a $300-400 GPU that will be able to last me a few years. I bought a Twin Frozr II 3 years ago and am looking to upgrade. My max budget is $400, i am looking to get something with 4GB of memory or more.

This is my setup for reference.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yMgFLk
Kinda a bad spot price wise. The 970 which is 3.5GB usable is the only real option imo. The air cooled AMD Fury is $550 and 980Ti is ~$680.

Lexxism

What can you guys recommend for a mechanical keyboard with a red backlit? I'm in Canada. Currently looking for a good one. The budget is around $150 top.

Handal

It looks like it's the same. If it isn't, there are usually some adapter kits that come out which you can buy.
I'd recommend and air cooler though for the cost/money/pump noise.

I'm currently on air cooler, but I want to switch to liquid cooling for the look :p.

I read some reviews, and the CM Neptron 240m is one of the most silent out there while doing a good job at cooling the CPU. That's why I picked this one.

Plasmid

Kinda a bad spot price wise. The 970 which is 3.5GB usable is the only real option imo. The air cooled AMD Fury is $550 and 980Ti is ~$680.

So i should probably wait a bit? Save up and get a 6GB card for 5GB+ of memory? I was thinking about the 970 a few weeks ago but didn't realize it was only 3.5 usable.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm currently on air cooler, but I want to switch to liquid cooling for the look :p.

I read some reviews, and the CM Neptron 240m is one of the most silent out there while doing a good job at cooling the CPU. That's why I picked this one.
That's fine then.
So i should probably wait a bit? Save up and get a 6GB card for 5GB+ of memory? I was thinking about the 970 a few weeks ago but didn't realize it was only 3.5 usable.
I'd be wanting an upgrade from your GPU by now. The R9 280 3GB is a good stopgap at $150 after MIR right now. Or a used R9 290 or new 290. Or if it's just for 1080p then a 970 is completely fine until new HBM cards come out next year.

Plasmid

That's fine then.

I'd be wanting an upgrade from your GPU by now. The R9 280 3GB is a good stopgap at $150 after MIR right now. Or a used R9 290 or new 290. Or if it's just for 1080p then a 970 is completely fine until new HBM cards come out next year.

Okay cool. Yeah i'm only looking to game in 1080p as that's what my monitor is. No need to go over.

I'll probably get a 970 or possibly look into AMD's lower priced new cards. Thanks!

e:

if i bought this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NN0GEXQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20 or even an EVGA 970 would i be able to crossfire it with my 2GB card? Would that be advisable?

I'm also looking at the MSI R9 390 that came out a few weeks ago, it's only $329, is there any reason to NOT get it?

Hazaro I'm seeing what looks like a good deal on an ASUS AMD RADEON R9 290 DirectCU II on Ebay.

After a bit of research, I get the feeling these models aren't the best non-reference 290s and that the heatsink pipes are slightly faulty as they don't make contact with all of the chip lid or something along those lines.

What are your thoughts on the ASUS 290s? Anyone else got any thoughts? I can purchase one for £167.50.

reKon

Banned
I'm still going to hold out for one more R9 290 deal that's anywhere from $200 - $240 new...

If there's still stock, I'm counting on at least one more sale for them to really clear that stock if they are bringing in a higher stock of 390s everywhere.

It's either that or hope for a GTX 970 new for anywhere from $250 - $270, but that will never happen because Nvidia.

I'm still going to hold out for one more R9 290 deal that's anywhere from $200 - $240 new...

If there's still stock, I'm counting on at least one more sale for them to really clear that stock if they are bringing in a higher stock of 390s everywhere.

It's either that or hope for a GTX 970 new for anywhere from $250 - $270, but that will never happen because Nvidia.

Yeah well I was hoping for the same but prices don't seem to be budging much.

Was debating between a Gigabyte 390 or Gigabyte 970. But used 290s go cheapish on Ebay and this ASUS model popped up and looked like a steal.

Oh, this one is cheaper with the one I have for my wishlist. What's the difference with the model Vengeance K-70? It seems the same physically.

I believe the Vengeance K70 and the Gaming K70 are identical, save for the slight difference in branding, so I'd go for the cheaper one.

Also, can't recommend the K70 enough. I have one with Cherry MX Blue switches and really, really love it + the awesome clacky feedback of the Blues.

reKon

Banned
Yeah well I was hoping for the same but prices don't seem to be budging much.

Was debating between a Gigabyte 390 or Gigabyte 970. But used 290s go cheapish on Ebay and this ASUS model popped up and looked like a steal.

Ugh now, I'm having 2nd thoughts. I might just say fuck it soon and hop on that new R9 280 for $150 because the thing I care about the most is being able to down sample Wii Dolphin emulation on my 1080P TV. I also wanted to be able to play older and newer games at 1080P at 60 FPS though (mainly Witcher 3 and GTA V as newer games). I strongly considered these bang for buck cards because I was banking on being able to snag one for around $250- $270ish new and I would be set for a while.

The thing is after that, I wouldn't want to look back for another 4 years or so and just be done. Maybe it's better not have the GTX 970 to be that card I stick with and just get the cheaper bang for buck card. Then in 2 years, I'd buy the next equivalent to the R9 290/GTX 970 price to performance ratio with 8 GB of RAM when 4k gaming is more common lol.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Okay cool. Yeah i'm only looking to game in 1080p as that's what my monitor is. No need to go over.

I'll probably get a 970 or possibly look into AMD's lower priced new cards. Thanks!

e:

if i bought this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NN0GEXQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20 or even an EVGA 970 would i be able to crossfire it with my 2GB card? Would that be advisable?

I'm also looking at the MSI R9 390 that came out a few weeks ago, it's only $329, is there any reason to NOT get it?
390 isn't good value over a 290. You can only xFire same cards (in most cases and in cases that make sense).
Hazaro I'm seeing what looks like a good deal on an ASUS AMD RADEON R9 290 DirectCU II on Ebay.

After a bit of research, I get the feeling these models aren't the best non-reference 290s and that the heatsink pipes are slightly faulty as they don't make contact with all of the chip lid or something along those lines.

What are your thoughts on the ASUS 290s? Anyone else got any thoughts? I can purchase one for £167.50.
It's not that big a deal, GPU companies are reusing coolers to save money and they still perform okay. As long as it's not the blower style you'll be okay. They do run hot though.

Whatever first party brand you can find at a good price is okay.

JamesAR15

Planning my new build, any suggestions is much appreciated.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($299.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH X99 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($309.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($161.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card ($699.95 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($118.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($184.99 @ Best Buy)
Monitor: Acer XB270HU bprz 144Hz 27.0" Monitor ($797.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $2878.83

Stolen Sheep

Neo Member
Anyone with experience of the Corsair 240 Air and high-end current-gen non-ref nVidia cards? Got the MSI 980 ti gaming on the way and I'm shopping for cases. Love the design of the 240 but I've read about people with the MSI 970 with the same cooler not having it fit in the case properly. That makes me think the 240 isn't a goer.

If that's the case (hohoho) what cases in the mirco-ATX form factor will accommodate the card and have similarly good air-flow?

Anno

Hey can anyone in the U.S. recommend a good way to dispose of an old computer? By the end of the month I think this current tower won't be of much use. It doesn't have anything of too much note, only a 1st gen i5 and a generic Radeon HD 7950. Do I just post the full specs to Craigslist and take offers?

kennah

Hey can anyone in the U.S. recommend a good way to dispose of an old computer? By the end of the month I think this current tower won't be of much use. It doesn't have anything of too much note, only a 1st gen i5 and a generic Radeon HD 7950. Do I just post the full specs to Craigslist and take offers?
Dude. Sell it. You could probably still get a couple hundred.

Grinchy

Banned

Definitely at least try the craigslist route.

I got $150 for a really old PC. It had a Q9300 processor, an HD6670, 8GB of DDR2, ect. Someone bought it just as another PC to monitor some gaming competition or something.

Someone somewhere nearby will want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom