• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I've had this problem for over a month now and I'm at my wits end. No proposed solutions are working and the problem seems to be even preventing me from reinstalling Windows with a flash drive in order to fix it.

So... instead of trying to fix what's broken, I'm wondering if it's possible to just buy a new sound card altogether. Would this fix the problem? What's a good sound card?

RGM79

I've had this problem for over a month now and I'm at my wits end. No proposed solutions are working and the problem seems to be even preventing me from reinstalling Windows with a flash drive in order to fix it.

So... instead of trying to fix what's broken, I'm wondering if it's possible to just buy a new sound card altogether. Would this fix the problem? What's a good sound card?

Sorry, it's been a while since I've heard you talk about it. You can't even reinstall Windows?

Alucrid

Banned
that's shitty, sites are still advertising the witcher 3 / arkham asylum games with the gpus but the offer expired a week ago

Cross-posting from the BST thread: I have a Gigabyte GTX 970 GTX Gaming G1 card that I'm looking to sell. PM me if interested!

PS: If it's not ok to post this in this thread, I apologize and I'll remove it immediately.

LilJoka

There is no need to spend money to fix what is just a missing windows system file.
Try an sfc /scannow from the command line run as administrator.
If you have Windows update KB2962407 installed, remove it.
You can try the suggestions made here
http://wintegrity.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/how-to-fix-sound-not-working-in-windows.html

Take note of this when using the repair tool
If you are using the tweaking app , go to repairs and UNCHECK EVERY REPAIR then check the following repairs:
Repair Windows Updates
Repair MSI (Windows Installer)
Repair File Associations (12)
Repair Print Spooler
Restore Important Windows Services
Set Windows Services to Default Startup

Its pretty shitty AVG havent documentd the files it deleted on their official pages, otherwise you can easily extract those files from the install.wim from the Win 8 ISO.

Windows reinstall is going to be foolproof, that IO error is unrelated to your AVG dilemma, its more likely a problem with the install media or your hardware, what is the exact error and when does it happen?

Use Malwarebytes anti malware free as an on demand scanner, real time scanning is getting quite unnecessary these days. Or Avira anti virus is good if you really dont trust yourself.

Full PC Specs?

that's shitty, sites are still advertising the witcher 3 / arkham asylum games with the gpus but the offer expired a week ago

Hm i just bought a 960 expecting an Arkham Knight code from scan.co.uk. Wonder if ill get one, and whether there will be compensation of some sort?

JamesAR15

Thank you to everyone ITT, I just ordered all my components for my new build.

Really looking forward to having gsync and 144hz. It's been at least 10 years since I built a gaming rig. The info here has been invaluable.

JJDubz

Thank you to everyone ITT, I just ordered all my components for my new build.

Really looking forward to having gsync and 144hz. It's been at least 10 years since I built a gaming rig. The info here has been invaluable.

Having a thorough guide and helpful advice makes building such a simple, fun task. I wish I could build my pc again since I had so much fun doing it the past two times.

j-wood

I just installed my new HDDs and am setting up a RAID 0. Should I keep my controller on AHCI mode (use an SSD for the OS) and just use windows to create the raid? Or should I use the motherboard hardware raid?

I tried using the mobo hardward raid but then windows won't boot. Is there a downside to using windows raid?

knitoe

I just installed my new HDDs and am setting up a RAID 0. Should I keep my controller on AHCI mode (use an SSD for the OS) and just use windows to create the raid? Or should I use the motherboard hardware raid?

I tried using the mobo hardward raid but then windows won't boot. Is there a downside to using windows raid?

You want hardware raid. When you change it to Raid mode in the bios, did you remember to make the SSD the first boot priority?

j-wood

You want hardware raid. When you change it to Raid mode in the bios, did you remember to make the SSD the first boot priority?

Yes I did. Windows starts to boot then blue screens. It boots up when I switch back to AHCI. I'm trying startup repair right now.

A quick side note, will the ssd perform fine with the controller on raid mode? I remember when I got it, it recommended putting it in AHCI mode.

EDIT: Startup repair didn't work. Fixed it. Windows actually had an article on this problem. Had to change a reg key

knitoe

Yes I did. Windows starts to boot then blue screens. It boots up when I switch back to AHCI. I'm trying startup repair right now.

A quick side note, will the ssd perform fine with the controller on raid mode? I remember when I got it, it recommended putting it in AHCI mode.

EDIT: Startup repair didn't work.

Try this: http://www.eightforums.com/installa...hci-mode-raid-mode-without-re-installing.html or http://www.askvg.com/how-to-change-...o-ahci-raid-in-bios-after-installing-windows/

And, yes, SSD performs fine under raid mode without actually being in raid.

j-wood

So i created the raid volume with the intel controller in POST and got windows to boot. I had to go into disk manager an initialize the disk, which it only saw one 2TB disk. I just created a new simple volume and now it's up. So everything is working properly then? Is there anything I should test?

knitoe

So i created the raid volume with the intel controller in POST and got windows to boot. I had to go into disk manager an initialize the disk, which it only saw one 2TB disk. I just created a new simple volume and now it's up. So everything is working properly then? Is there anything I should test?

Under Windows, having 2x 1TB in raid 0 = a 2TB drive. So, everything is working properly. If you want, you can run the crystaldiskmark bench in the OP and you should be getting almost 2X the speed of your regular 1 drive.

j-wood

Under Windows, having 2x 1TB in raid 0 = a 2TB drive. So, everything is working properly. If you want, you can run the crystaldiskmark bench in the OP and you should be getting almost 2X the speed of your regular 1 drive.

Sweet. Thanks for the help!

Not sure how small of a form factor you're looking for, but this is cheap and relatively small. If you were looking for even smaller then there's the mITX form factor, but it would cost a bit more because mITX parts tend to be more expensive (mainly motherboard and/or case).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($166.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus H81M-D PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($51.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Savage 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.56 @ OutletPC)
Case: Silverstone PS08B (Black) MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($31.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($25.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $371.44
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-06 14:03 EDT-0400

Just check the dimensions of that Silverstone case and see if it's alright. If not, we can definitely go smaller.

Awesome, looks like a pretty solid list and great price range. Right around where I was wanting. Any other recommendations or does everyone agree this is a great set up as is?

oneida

There is no need to spend money to fix what is just a missing windows system file.
Try an sfc /scannow from the command line run as administrator.
If you have Windows update KB2962407 installed, remove it.
You can try the suggestions made here
http://wintegrity.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/how-to-fix-sound-not-working-in-windows.html

Take note of this when using the repair tool

Its pretty shitty AVG havent documentd the files it deleted on their official pages, otherwise you can easily extract those files from the install.wim from the Win 8 ISO.

Windows reinstall is going to be foolproof, that IO error is unrelated to your AVG dilemma, its more likely a problem with the install media or your hardware, what is the exact error and when does it happen?

Use Malwarebytes anti malware free as an on demand scanner, real time scanning is getting quite unnecessary these days. Or Avira anti virus is good if you really dont trust yourself.

Full PC Specs?

Hm i just bought a 960 expecting an Arkham Knight code from scan.co.uk. Wonder if ill get one, and whether there will be compensation of some sort?
You can read the results I had from sfc scannow here
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=167580558

lemme get my specs and wrestle with this some more. this problem has been bringing me down and it's really frustrating being unable to fix it.

RGM79

I need help deciding between these two.

850 G2 http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=377
or
RMi 850 http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&file=print&reid=432

So far, corsair link functionality is pushing me more towards the RMi 850. OC3D TTL says Corsair link power readings are very accurate, within 1% margin.

I'd consider the USB functionality kinda gimmicky (but not completely useless), and if the RM isn't that much more expensive and you really want it, you could go for it.

Personally I prefer to go with the cheaper option in situations like this.

Kintaco

It's looking like my videocard is dying, I'm getting graphical artifacts from boot up.

Ksyp8Tf.jpg

Tried reinstalling the drivers and nothing. But since this happens before boot up I assume it's the card. My system is kind of old, have an AMD Phenom II X4 965 with a GeForce 460 GTX card. Is it worth just updating the videocard or would it be best to update the CPU, mobo, and vc? I'm trying to spend as little as possible but want to play some games like GTA V and Fallout 4 eventually.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Spent the last couple weeks researching monitors deciding on which one I should get yet I'm still having issues on making a concrete decision. My main purpose for this monitor is gaming, though my forte is in MMOs, not FPS. Due to my interests, most posts I've found on the net suggest I should buy an IPS display monitor rather than a TN as I care more about image quality than faster response times.

In that regard what would you guys suggest for IPS displays? Every site I've went to it seemed like the Dell Ultrasharp U2412m has been the holy grail for the last three years. And considering its under $300 on Amazon I may just get it. The only thing holding me back at this time are the reviews complaining about 'yellow tint" on their screens. Granted these incidents seem few and far between but nonetheless I'd rather not have to go through the whole song and dance of returning things 4 times before they get it right. Anywho, what say you PCGAF?

I would say my limit would be around $400-$500. Anything lower would be totally fine too. :lol

Ohh. Thanks for enlightenment. I think I'll try to visit a store nearby and see if they have any cherry mx keyboard on display to try. If not, I guess I'll just try to look for videos and see people's feedback on it.

Note that all of the K70s use Cherry MX switches, as far as I know. I've seen them in Red (soft), Brown (medium), and Blue (hard/clacky/glorious), and I think both the Vengeance and Gaming models can come in any of Red/Brown/Blue. There are other colors of Cherry MX, but I'm not sure if any of them have corresponding K70 models. There are also plenty of other keyboard brands that use Cherry MXs, so you should be able to find at least one in a store near you.

The mechanical keyboard thread has more details, but I agree that the best way to tell what you want is definitely to try a few out in person. I was fortunate enough to stumble into the Corsair booth at a PAX around the time I was in the market. I found out that I vastly prefer the Blues because the tactile feedback is awesome, but they're not for everyone. In particular, if you stream or record video, you might prefer softer/quieter switches.

Semper88

Quick question GAF, I don't know if this is the right place but here it goes.

I recently bought a Asus ROG gaming laptop with a 970m at 1920x1080 17"

I thinking of buying a 23" IPS for when I'm at home to have that extra bit of screen. The 23" Asus IPS screen is also 1920x1080. Will this effect my performance?

I'm not talking about dual screen just closing the laptop and hooking it up to the mintor.

Quick question GAF, I don't know if this is the right place but here it goes.

I recently bought a Asus ROG gaming laptop with a 970m at 1920x1080 17"

I thinking of buying a 23" IPS for when I'm at home to have that extra bit of screen. The 23" Asus IPS screen is also 1920x1080. Will this effect my performance?

I'm not talking about dual screen just closing the laptop and hooking it up to the mintor.

Not at all.

So GAF, while I'm waiting for skylake in order to build my first gaming rig, I was hoping to buy some part already. Will corsair 540 be OK? A good PSU since I will be using a 970? Also a good gaming monitor for 300$, I'll be playing RPG and offline for the most part. Sorry but I'm totally new to the PC building world

So GAF, while I'm waiting for skylake in order to build my first gaming rig, I was hoping to buy some part already. Will corsair 540 be OK? A good PSU since I will be using a 970? Also a good gaming monitor for 300$, I'll be playing RPG and offline for the most part. Sorry but I'm totally new to the PC building world

It's generally not recommended to build it piece by piece over time. Prices may go down on those components over time before you get around to building the rest of the rig, and having everything purchased at the same time simplifies returns/warranty stuff.

Merovin

Stupid question time GAF: I recently purchased a new SSD but it is performing terribly (believe it may be faulty, have been in contact with the seller/manufacturer and will be returning it), but for the life of me I cannot find a way to format the hard drive as it has windows installed on it. What am I doing wrong besides completely stupid? Many thanks in advance!

LilJoka

Stupid question time GAF: I recently purchased a new SSD but it is performing terribly (believe it may be faulty, have been in contact with the seller/manufacturer and will be returning it), but for the life of me I cannot find a way to format the hard drive as it has windows installed on it. What am I doing wrong besides completely stupid? Many thanks in advance!

Boot up the windows installer via USB and format the HDD from within that.

Or make a GParted bootable USB and format the HDD from within that.

You can't wipe windows from within windows since your using windows at the same time.

Exquisik

You can't format your hard drive with the OS installed while running the same OS. You will need to format the hard drive outside of running the OS that's installed on the hard drive, in other words, boot an OS from a flash drive or disc. The easiest way is to format it using a Windows setup/bootup disc or flash drive.

Some bios also allows you to format your hard drive completely as well.

Edit: beaten above.

MisterM

Is server talk acceptable here? Tell me to shush if this isn't appropriate for this thread, I'm just looking for some advice.

I currently run a Minecraft server at home for me and the boy on an Intel Atom Dual (1.6GHz)Core machine with 2GB RAM running Ubuntu Server. It works fine for us both but I want to branch out a little.

I've ordered an Athlon 5350 (2.05GHz Quad Core CPU) and a Biostar AM1MH motherboard (basically the cheapest quadcore CPU/motherboard combo I could find). I plan on sticking 16GB RAM into the motherboard, connecting a few hard drives and installing ESXi 6.0 on the machine so I can spin up a few VMs (a Minecraft server, a CSGO server, possibly FreeNAS and TeamSpeak/Mumble too). The game/chat servers will be private and for the use of about 6 users each, max.

I understand that ESXi doesn't support the NIC on the motherboard (RTL8111G) but I have discovered the drivers can be injected into the .iso making it work.

Any other caveats I should be aware of with ESXi 6.0? Should I just use Ubuntu KVM instead? Am I possibly asking too much of the Athlon 5350 (personally, I think not)?

Thanks <3

LilJoka

You can read the results I had from sfc scannow here
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=167580558

lemme get my specs and wrestle with this some more. this problem has been bringing me down and it's really frustrating being unable to fix it.

The log doesn't yield much, upload the log and post a link to it.

Try the 2 other things I mentioned about the Windows Update file and the wintegrity link with repair tool.

edit lol autocorrect

It's generally not recommended to build it piece by piece over time. Prices may go down on those components over time before you get around to building the rest of the rig, and having everything purchased at the same time simplifies returns/warranty stuff.
I know but at least if I know which part to buy beside the skylake CPU and motherboard I can already look for discounts

oneida

The log doesn't yield much, upload the fuk and post a link to it.

Try the 2 other things I mentioned about the Windows Update file and the wintegrity link with repair tool.

I'll tell ya, nothing crushes the spirits like seeing 20 comments saying "this worked for me! I have sound again!" and having the solution not work for me. Sigh. No dice with the Repair Tool (ran it 4 or 5 times, first with only the suggested boxes checked, then with everything checked), no dice with Windows Updates (while I did not have KB2962407 I did have KB2962409 which, when googled, yields people with similar problems -- uninstalled that, rebooted, PC ran some updates, and ... nothing)

How do I upload the fuk? Sounds saucy

PC specs:
CPU: AMD FX 8120 eight-core @ 3.10 GHz
RAM: 8.00GM
GPU: AMD Radeon HD7970

anything else that would be helpful?

Xis

It's looking like my videocard is dying, I'm getting graphical artifacts from boot up.

Ksyp8Tf.jpg

Tried reinstalling the drivers and nothing. But since this happens before boot up I assume it's the card. My system is kind of old, have an AMD Phenom II X4 965 with a GeForce 460 GTX card. Is it worth just updating the videocard or would it be best to update the CPU, mobo, and vc? I'm trying to spend as little as possible but want to play some games like GTA V and Fallout 4 eventually.

Have you checked to make sure all your fans are still spinning / not clogged with dust?

I'm in a similar boat as you with my hardware; a Phenom II with a Geforce 560. I've been thinking of upgrading to a 960 and then doing a new build in a year or two.

LilJoka

I'll tell ya, nothing crushes the spirits like seeing 20 comments saying "this worked for me! I have sound again!" and having the solution not work for me. Sigh. No dice with the Repair Tool (ran it 4 or 5 times, first with only the suggested boxes checked, then with everything checked), no dice with Windows Updates (while I did not have KB2962407 I did have KB2962409 which, when googled, yields people with similar problems -- uninstalled that, rebooted, PC ran some updates, and ... nothing)

How do I upload the fuk? Sounds saucy

PC specs:
CPU: AMD FX 8120 eight-core @ 3.10 GHz
RAM: 8.00GM
GPU: AMD Radeon HD7970

anything else that would be helpful?

Just use pastebin, or mediafire to share the log.

Varg

Banned
Looking to upgrade my graphics card after 3 years. Always been amd but would like to try nvidia this time. My cpu is still decent (i7 3770k). Would a gtx 970 be an appropriate upgrade for me? Looks like the perfect price. Note that I only play on one monitor atm at always at 1080p.

LilJoka

HI gaf.plan to build this pc mainly for gaming. Any thoughts? I'd the 980ti overkill as I don't have a 4k monitor yet only 1080p. Any thoughts . I want to be able to play doom when it drops next year also.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/sbgqMp

ITX option

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£259.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.98 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard (£104.36 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£70.81 @ More Computers)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£74.35 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£74.35 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card (£570.98 @ Dabs)
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case (£59.59 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£84.78 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £1324.19
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-07 13:48 BST+0100

mATX option

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£259.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.98 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£75.56 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£70.81 @ More Computers)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card (£570.98 @ Dabs)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£60.78 @ More Computers)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£84.78 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £1296.58
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-07 13:51 BST+0100

oxidax

Whats the best software to control fan speeds? I changed my motherboard and I just noticed that one of my fans is spinning slower than before.
I thought about buying a fan controller, but tbh its just that one fan that I want to speed up so I think a controller is just going to be a waste for now.

LilJoka

Whats the best software to control fan speeds? I changed my motherboard and I just noticed that one of my fans is spinning slower than before.
I thought about buying a fan controller, but tbh its just that one fan that I want to speed up so I think a controller is just going to be a waste for now.

If you use the 3pin fan headers on the motherboard you can use motherboard software to setup fan curves or the BIOS. No need for fan controllers these days. Your fans should really be at low rpm (6-700rpm) at idle and only really ramp up when temperatures are in the 60*c range or higher.

Personally i run my fans at medium speed ~700rpm regardless of temperature just for silence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom