• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

btkadams

unrelated to your post, but thank you for your help with the parts for my computer a couple weeks ago. i finally got them all and my friend helped put it together. it's running like a dream!

also thanks to everyone else in this thread, as i asked a bunch of other questions that received quick, helpful answers.

knitoe

Planning my new build, any suggestions is much appreciated.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($299.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH X99 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($309.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($161.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card ($699.95 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($118.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($184.99 @ Best Buy)
Monitor: Acer XB270HU bprz 144Hz 27.0" Monitor ($797.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $2878.83

EVGA G2 PSU. You can get a 1000W for $175 on Amazon. Would be perfect once you go SLI which you will if you want to take at 144hz.

RGM79

unrelated to your post, but thank you for your help with the parts for my computer a couple weeks ago. i finally got them all and my friend helped put it together. it's running like a dream!

also thanks to everyone else in this thread, as i asked a bunch of other questions that received quick, helpful answers.

You're welcome, glad to know it went well.

Item Box

Could use a little help.

I'm having trouble deciding between these two monitors, the ASUS VN248H-P and the VS239H-P.

It's use will be multipurpose but mostly for gaming. Which would be the better choice? Or is there a better one at the ~$170 price range?

BooJoh

I built the following in 2012:

• Intel Core i5-3570​K Quad-Co​re Process​or 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637​I53570K​
  • ASRock Z77 Pro4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherb​oard
  • Corsair​ Vengean​ce Low Profile​ 8 GB (2x4GB)​ PC3-128​00 1600mhz​ 240-Pin​ DDR3 Dual Channel​ Memory Kit SDRAM CML8GX3​M2A1600​C9
  • HIS Radeon HD 6870 1 GB (256bit​) GDDR5 Display​Port HDMI 2x DVI (HDCP) PCI Express​ X16 2.1 Video Card H687FN1​GD
  • SAMSUNG​ Spinpoi​nt F3 HD103SJ​ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s​ 3.5" Interna​l Hard Drive -Bare Drive
  • Antec BP550 Plus 550W ATX12V V2.3 Modular​ Power Supply
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower ATX Case (RC-912​-KKN1)
  • Asus 24xDVD-​RW Serial ATA Interna​l OEM Drive DRW-24B​1ST (Black)​

My video card just died on me and I'm trying to find a budget replacement. I don't want to go down in performance, and I'm hoping to keep it well under $100 since money is tight. I'm not even sure if today's cards would be compatible with my system.

So I finally got my new build up and running.

Sorry for the huge images.

ZP5vcH8.jpg

Specs:
CPU: i7 5820k
CPU cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo
GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 gaming 6GB
RAM: G.Skill 16GB DDR4
MB: Asrock x99 Extreme4
Storage: 2x Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
PSU: EVGA G2 850w
Case: Fractal Design Define S

Sadly the extra case fan I ordered didn't work. Have a replacement on the way.

Haven't done a lot on it yet but it's a very fast system.

The CPU cooler seems to be doing fine. It idles at around 25C. Played a game on it for about 45 minutes and the CPU temp never reached 40C. That's a lot cooler than my old pc which could get over 60C when playing games. It was using a stock cooler though.

I plan on trying to overclock it to 4.0 Ghz at some point.

I've never overclocked before so I'm a little nervous about it.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
This was posted in another thread a day or two ago.

http://store.hp.com/us/en/Configure...252&siteid=je6NUbpObpQ-oTrHj6NDwyNntcVES1mf_Q

Would I be able to run all current gen games at near max settings with this? I posted in this thread about wanting a new computer but I really don't want to bother building a computer since last time I tried it it didn't go too well.

From what people were saying the specs for that are really good and it seems it be a decent price.

Crisium

This was posted in another thread a day or two ago.

http://store.hp.com/us/en/Configure...252&siteid=je6NUbpObpQ-oTrHj6NDwyNntcVES1mf_Q

Would I be able to run all current gen games at near max settings with this? I posted in this thread about wanting a new computer but I really don't want to bother building a computer since last time I tried it it didn't go too well.

From what people were saying the specs for that are really good and it seems it be a decent price.

If you go up to the GTX 970 option instead of the 745, sure. At 1080 the 970 is pretty capable, certainly near max settings for most games.

RGM79

I built the following in 2012:

• Intel Core i5-3570​K Quad-Co​re Process​or 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637​I53570K​
  • ASRock Z77 Pro4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherb​oard
  • Corsair​ Vengean​ce Low Profile​ 8 GB (2x4GB)​ PC3-128​00 1600mhz​ 240-Pin​ DDR3 Dual Channel​ Memory Kit SDRAM CML8GX3​M2A1600​C9
  • HIS Radeon HD 6870 1 GB (256bit​) GDDR5 Display​Port HDMI 2x DVI (HDCP) PCI Express​ X16 2.1 Video Card H687FN1​GD
  • SAMSUNG​ Spinpoi​nt F3 HD103SJ​ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s​ 3.5" Interna​l Hard Drive -Bare Drive
  • Antec BP550 Plus 550W ATX12V V2.3 Modular​ Power Supply
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower ATX Case (RC-912​-KKN1)
  • Asus 24xDVD-​RW Serial ATA Interna​l OEM Drive DRW-24B​1ST (Black)​

My video card just died on me and I'm trying to find a budget replacement. I don't want to go down in performance, and I'm hoping to keep it well under $100 since money is tight. I'm not even sure if today's cards would be compatible with my system.

Don't worry, graphics cards will remain compatible for a long time. Even ten year old PCs will accept the latest graphics cards, as long as they have a PCI-E slot (which you do have).

For your budget, I think the best new graphics card you can get is an R7 260X. This Asus R7 260X comes in at just under $100 after $30 rebate and has slightly better performance than your old 6870. If rebates are no good and it is too expensive, then you can opt for the cheaper R7 250X like this XFX model for $79 after $20 rebate. Compared to your 6870, the R7 250X roughly matches it but can lag behind in certain games.

If you're on a tight budget, you may want to consider looking at ebay or craigslist for a used graphics card. Might be able to find something for $100 with greater performance.

knitoe

So I finally got my new build up and running.

Sorry for the huge images.

Specs:
CPU: i7 5820k
CPU cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo
GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 gaming 6GB
RAM: G.Skill 16GB DDR4
MB: Asrock x99 Extreme4
Storage: 2x Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
PSU: EVGA G2 850w
Case: Fractal Design Define S

Sadly the extra case fan I ordered didn't work. Have a replacement on the way.

Haven't done a lot on it yet but it's a very fast system.

The CPU cooler seems to be doing fine. It idles at around 25C. Played a game on it for about 45 minutes and the CPU temp never reached 40C. That's a lot cooler than my old pc which could get over 60C when playing games. It was using a stock cooler though.

I plan on trying to overclock it to 4.0 Ghz at some point.

I've never overclocked before so I'm a little nervous about it.
Your ram are in the wrong slot. For quad channel, they should be spread out in A1, B1, C1 and D1.

reKon

Banned
Yeah... Guess the R9 280 is out of the question for me. Too many issue I'm reading with fitting that into the ML07b or RVZ01 cases..

So now its either I pray for deal on the GTX 970 / R9 290 or go with something weaker than the R9 280.

knitoe

Thanks for letting me know. I just switched them around.

What exactly does that do? The pc was running fine and all the RAM was detected before.

Memory bandwidth. It was running at dual channel instead of quad. So, 1/2 the possible bandwidth. Thus, performance was worse.

BooJoh

Don't worry, graphics cards will remain compatible for a long time. Even ten year old PCs will accept the latest graphics cards, as long as they have a PCI-E slot (which you do have).

For your budget, I think the best new graphics card you can get is an R7 260X. This Asus R7 260X comes in at just under $100 after $30 rebate and has slightly better performance than your old 6870. If rebates are no good and it is too expensive, then you can opt for the cheaper R7 250X like this XFX model for $79 after $20 rebate. Compared to your 6870, the R7 250X roughly matches it but can lag behind in certain games.

If you're on a tight budget, you may want to consider looking at ebay or craigslist for a used graphics card. Might be able to find something for $100 with greater performance.

Thanks, went with a 260X.

Kaz42

Can anyone help me? I'm looking to build my first pc sometime in November or December. Looking to build a 1080 gaming pc to hook to my tv but I don't have a clue where to start. From searching around I've come up with a general build:

i5-4590k
Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X
8 gb DDR3-1600

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZnK77P

my budget is around 700, would like any advice with the build and any advice/links for tips for beginners. Thanks to anyone who cares to help!

knitoe

Can anyone help me? I'm looking to build my first pc sometime in November or December. Looking to build a 1080 gaming pc to hook to my tv but I don't have a clue where to start. From searching around I've come up with a general build:

i5-4590k
Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X
8 gb DDR3-1600

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZnK77P

my budget is around 700, would like any advice with the build and any advice/links for tips for beginners. Thanks to anyone who cares to help!
Come back and ask when you are ready to build. There should be some new Intel CPUs by then.

Oh, this one is cheaper with the one I have for my wishlist. What's the difference with the model Vengeance K-70? It seems the same physically.

The difference is the type of switches, there's a whole thread for that. The /r/mechanicalkeyboards subreddit is another good resource.

The answer of which switch is best is totally personally preference. If you have a store nearby that stocks them at all, it's really worth a trip to touch and feel. The two main differences between switches are how much force it takes to press them and what type of tactile "bump" the switch makes when it presses.

Good news for you in Canada is that NCIX has a fairly extensive mechanical keyboard selection, so you should be able to get something that works for you there and not get taken on shipping, etc.

Dont' worry too much about price and get what you want, IMO. These things last. I have an MX brown board that I love, but I wish I'd dropped the extra $30-40 for clears (which I might still do at some point).

RGM79

Sooo uh, did i fucked myself up for buying the gs version of the evga 850w psu instead of the g2 version ?

No, both are excellent quality. G2 is manufactured by Super Flower while GS is by Seasonic. As Jonny Guru puts it:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=414 said:
On the surface, it doesn't look like there's much about this unit that sets it apart from the G2 unit. It's fully modular, just like the G2. It does the whole single 12V thing, too, and is also rated to fifty degrees.

But there is one major difference... this one didn't come from the Super Flower factory. No, this one came from Seasonic.

And there are many possible reasons for EVGA moving to Seasonic on this line of units. Maybe Seasonic offered a better deal. Maybe the Super Flower deal is near end of life. Maybe these are quieter than the Super Flower models, and more deserving of being called a silent series of units. But I suspect the truth is that EVGA is now selling so many units that Super Flower can't keep up with the demand, and EVGA needs something just as good to fill the gap. And really... Seasonic is the natural choice, there.

Even so, there is a difference in the warranty length between this series and the G2 series. EVGA does ten years for the latter, and seven years for these (they've just increased the warranty length of these, in fact). So, the implication is that these units are taking the second banana position over at EVGA with the Super Flower originated units sitting on top.

In any case, the GS scores a 9.5 out of 10 from him, while the G2 scored a 9.9/10 from the same guy.

I just ordered a Asus G751-JY but am contemplating returning it now and building my own...
Can anyone here take a look at my build and make suggestions please?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/D3xxqs

That's a very high end build. I don't know what your needs and requirements are, but if you are interested in saving costs while retaining same or similar levels of performance, I could recommend looking at a cheaper motherboard, dropping down to 16GB of RAM, a cheaper power supply and wifi adaptor, etc.

Do you really need a disc drive or the sound card? If you won't be using it often, chances are that you can drop it from the parts list completely. Same for the RAM, you didn't say what the PC was for, but I kinda doubt you need 32GB?

I'd look into getting a nicer case and CPU cooler as well, maybe. In all, I'd go for a build more like this. There's still more that can be done to cut costs,

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($378.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BL 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($154.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2800 Memory ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($161.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($649.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 1050W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($134.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($57.75 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) ($86.98 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC68 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($78.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Cooler Master R4-L2R-20AC-GP 69.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($5.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1995.62
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-06 03:24 EDT-0400

Is that so .. Thanks ! Could've just went with g2 instead then since it's only a $10+ difference but this should suffice
I'm planning to sli two 980ti's after so hopefully it can do it

Edit: just a dumb question but has anyone ordered parts from newegg on a friday ? I know if you go do the newegg 2 day ship(which is normal) they'd guarantee it to come 2-3 days later after confirmation .Since fedex usually picks up my deliveries from newegg (residential/weekdays) am i expecting my stuff on monday then if i order it on a friday ?

Sooo uh, did i fucked myself up for buying the gs version of the evga 850w psu instead of the g2 version ?

They are both really solid supplies, unless I'm missing something. Seasonic vs. Superflower, no? Both seem pretty reputable. What's got you worried?

edit: looks like that got covered already. 850w should be fine for sli 980tis as long as you don't go nuts with OC'ing.

They are both really solid supplies, unless I'm missing something. Seasonic vs. Superflower, no? Both seem pretty reputable. What's got you worried?

edit: looks like that got covered already. 850w should be fine for sli 980tis as long as you don't go nuts with OC'ing.
Yep ... Not gonna oc anything unless it's necessary ^_^ thanks folks!

Very excited to hopefully build my parts before i start school on the last week of august

Hey there PCGAF, another PC related question. Hopefully this one isn't ignored like the last.

I'm looking to start learning how to build, or at least modify my existing build (had it put together for me), and I'm wanting a simple toolkit.. Sometime in the next couple of days I'm going to be buying a monitor, and I thought I'd kill two birds and maybe get some tools too.

My store of preference has these 3 sets of tools. Are these okay, and which of the three does PCGAF recommend? (Bare in mind these are Australian prices, AUD)

1.58 Piece PC Tech Tool Kit $39

2. 56 piece PC Tech Tool $49

3. 102 Piece Computer Tool Kit $49

EDIT: If anyone knows anything about monitors...could you lend me your expertise.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Hey there PCGAF, another PC related question. Hopefully this one isn't ignored like the last.

I'm looking to start learning how to build, or at least modify my existing build (had it put together for me), and I'm wanting a simple toolkit.. Sometime in the next couple of days I'm going to be buying a monitor, and I thought I'd kill two birds and maybe get some tools too.

My store of preference has these 3 sets of tools. Are these okay, and which of the three does PCGAF recommend? (Bare in mind these are Australian prices, AUD)

EDIT: If anyone knows anything about monitors...could you lend me your expertise.

Do you currently have flathead and phillips screwdrivers? Most of theses tools are excessive for just building PCs.

Edit: What about Asus VG248QE monitor?

Do you currently have flathead and phillips screwdrivers? Most of theses tools are excessive for just building PCs.

Edit: What about Asus VG248QE monitor?

Sadly, no screwdrivers lying around, barring one sitting somewhere (moved places a short while ago).

As for the monitor, I was looking specifically for G-Sync. I seem to have the ever present problem of either massive tearing, or terrible jitter when games drop 1-2 frames under 60. This is with only using a Rivatuner cap instead of V-Sync.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Sadly, no screwdrivers lying around, barring one sitting somewhere (moved places a short while ago).

As for the monitor, I was looking specifically for G-Sync. I seem to have the ever present problem of either massive tearing, or terrible jitter when games drop 1-2 frames under 60. This is with only using a Rivatuner cap instead of V-Sync.

All I've needed so far has been those two screwdrivers. I've only done a handful of PCs though.

My bad on the monitor. For some reason, I thought it was a gsync monitor. It's upgradable, not native.

Lexxism

The difference is the type of switches, there's a whole thread for that. The /r/mechanicalkeyboards subreddit is another good resource.

The answer of which switch is best is totally personally preference. If you have a store nearby that stocks them at all, it's really worth a trip to touch and feel. The two main differences between switches are how much force it takes to press them and what type of tactile "bump" the switch makes when it presses.

Good news for you in Canada is that NCIX has a fairly extensive mechanical keyboard selection, so you should be able to get something that works for you there and not get taken on shipping, etc.

Dont' worry too much about price and get what you want, IMO. These things last. I have an MX brown board that I love, but I wish I'd dropped the extra $30-40 for clears (which I might still do at some point).
Ohh. Thanks for enlightenment. I think I'll try to visit a store nearby and see if they have any cherry mx keyboard on display to try. If not, I guess I'll just try to look for videos and see people's feedback on it.

JamesAR15

EVGA G2 PSU. You can get a 1000W for $175 on Amazon. Would be perfect once you go SLI which you will if you want to take at 144hz.

I wasn't planning on going SLI anytime soon (if ever) and was hoping to keep power consumption to a minimum. I was under the impression that the system I spec'd out would handle 144hz fine though?

Hey guys, my Dad is building his 1st PC and I could use some help. I'll be honest I'm only used to building top end rigs and have no idea what parts to use for a budget build.

This PC is NOT for gaming. Its just a general purpose PC but he will be rendering lots of videos to YouTube.

So guys any advice on builds for around $500 for a general purpose non gaming PC? Also looking for a small form factor. Thanks.

Herla

Hello PC Gaf, I'm not entirely sure if I know what I'm doing so I'll ask for some feedback

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MJrYK8

I'm mostly confused about the motherboard and PSU, as I'm not sure about what makes a good one.
I've bought the graphics card already (it was on sale), so for that I'd just need validation :p

Thanks!

rNilla

OK PCGAF, I haven't been paying attention since I built my current PC in 2012. I'm going to finally add an SSD and was thinking of upgrading the GPU since I just bought a 3440x1440 monitor and would like to run some games. I haven't gamed on my PC much since I bought a PS4.

This is my current PC.

Is it worth trying to upgrade my GPU? I'm not looking to max anything out but running on High is always nice. I have no allegiance to either Nvidia or AMD. I also don't really want to spend more than $400, if that. What I have now is adequate but DisplayPort and a little more oomph would be nice.

Thanks!

JamesAR15

Hello PC Gaf, I'm not entirely sure if I know what I'm doing so I'll ask for some feedback

I'm mostly confused about the motherboard and PSU, as I'm not sure about what makes a good one.
I've bought the graphics card already (it was on sale), so for that I'd just need validation :p

Thanks!

PSU I would look at something like EVGA 120-G1-0650-XR, its half the price as the one you picked and fully modular meaning whatever cables you don't need can be disconnected. The one you linked isn't modular.

MGrant

OK PCGAF, I haven't been paying attention since I built my current PC in 2012. I'm going to finally add an SSD and was thinking of upgrading the GPU since I just bought a 3440x1440 monitor and would like to run some games. I haven't gamed on my PC much since I bought a PS4.

This is my current PC.

Is it worth trying to upgrade my GPU? I'm not looking to max anything out but running on High is always nice. I have no allegiance to either Nvidia or AMD. I also don't really want to spend more than $400, if that. What I have now is adequate but DisplayPort and a little more oomph would be nice.

Thanks!

An nvidia GTX 970 would be a decent (~40-50%) upgrade over the 7950, and would cost $300-$350. But at that resolution, I'd recommend saving up for a GTX 980, which will be a little less than $500.

RGM79

Hey guys, my Dad is building his 1st PC and I could use some help. I'll be honest I'm only used to building top end rigs and have no idea what parts to use for a budget build.

This PC is NOT for gaming. Its just a general purpose PC but he will be rendering lots of videos to YouTube.

So guys any advice on builds for around $500 for a general purpose non gaming PC? Also looking for a small form factor. Thanks.

When you say "rendering to youtube", does that mean uploading or video editing or both?

Thanks!

Some of those prices don't seem to be that great.. I hope you don't mind me saying, but for that much money you could have gotten more out of the build like an overclockable processor and motherboard, etc. The R9 290 for $300+ isn't a particularly good price when a lot of them can be had for around $250, even if the one you got was Sapphire's top end Vapor-X model. It would be possible to get an R9 290X or GTX 970 for about that much money.

Can you tell us what the PC will be used for, and what your overall budget is?

Herla

PSU I would look at something like EVGA 120-G1-0650-XR, its half the price as the one you picked and fully modular meaning whatever cables you don't need can be disconnected. The one you linked isn't modular.

So that's what was missing, I didn't notice. Thanks, that EVGA actually was on the list of possible PSUs so I guess I'll switch for that one for now.

Some of those prices don't seem to be that great.. I hope you don't mind me saying, but for that much money you could have gotten more out of the build like an overclockable processor and motherboard, etc. The R9 290 for $300+ isn't a particularly good price when a lot of them can be had for around $250, even if the one you got was Sapphire's top end Vapor-X model. It would be possible to get an R9 290X or GTX 970 for about that much money.

Can you tell us what the PC will be used for, and what your overall budget is?

The prices aren't exactly relevant, I was asking more about the components themselves as I'm in Italy and prices here are kind of weird. For example, I got that Vapor-X (it's the OC version, by the way) for 280€ and the cheapest R9 290 that I can find is 270€. The cheapest 290X and 970 go for above 300€.

My budget right now is under 1000€, and the linked build would cost me ~920€. The idea is to play games at max 1080p, but what I actually want is a cool and silent pc. That's also why I wasn't planning on overclocking, I'd rather keep everything as cool as possible. But I know nothing about it, so I don't know how it would actually impact temperatures...

RGM79

Sorry, mostly just uploading. He edits a little bit but nothing major

Not sure how small of a form factor you're looking for, but this is cheap and relatively small. If you were looking for even smaller then there's the mITX form factor, but it would cost a bit more because mITX parts tend to be more expensive (mainly motherboard and/or case).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($166.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus H81M-D PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($51.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Savage 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.56 @ OutletPC)
Case: Silverstone PS08B (Black) MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($31.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($25.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $371.44
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-06 14:03 EDT-0400

Just check the dimensions of that Silverstone case and see if it's alright. If not, we can definitely go smaller.

Varg

Banned
Thinking about upgrading my graphics card after 3 years. I have a sapphire 7970 and would like to buy my first nvidia card. I want a small boost in performance but nothing to break the bank. Would the 970 be worth it for me ?

MisterNoisy

The only things you really need are flat (1/8", 1/4") and Philips (#0, #2) screwdrivers. I'd also recommend a small angle cutter for trimming back zipties and a 3-4 prong pickup tool like this one for starting hard to reach screws or picking up one you dropped. A small flashlight isn't a terrible idea either.

rNilla

An nvidia GTX 970 would be a decent (~40-50%) upgrade over the 7950, and would cost $300-$350. But at that resolution, I'd recommend saving up for a GTX 980, which will be a little less than $500.

Hmm, tough call. The monitor is mainly for work but might as well have some fun with it. Thanks for the input!

LilJoka

Is the Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 a good GPU? What are noise levels like?

Its one of the best ones, and has a backplate if thats your thing. Its the best overclocking card on average. However its louder than the MSI Gamer, the new ones dont have Samsung memory, but Hynix same as MSI. It also doesnt have a 0dB (fans off at idle) mode. So if noise is more your thing, the MSI Gamer is better suited. If backplate, and on the edge performance is what you want then G1. The MSI overclocks very good too, 2nd best on average.

Asus is probably the quietest, but doesnt overclock as well as the above, and runs lower clocks on average (stock), thats how it can run cooler, a sacrifice of performance.

I need a new graphics card, what i have at the moment is an AMD Radeon 7700 series (not sure which) from around 2012, so it struggles with quite a few games now. I was thinking about getting a GTX 960 as that's something i can afford (about £170) and seems to be alright, but i'm not sure. I can only afford the 2GB version really, but could get the 4GB if its really not worth getting the 2GB version. I won't be able to upgrade again for a while, so i'd like to get something that lasts at least a year and can play most games on high settings and that seems like it would.

Can anyone help with these, i've tried to find some answers but i'm still not sure:
  • Is it worth getting that card?
  • Is there much difference between the 2GB and 4GB versions? (I'm not sure which i 'need')
  • Is there anything else in the same sort of price range that would be better? (The R9 290 seems to be too expensive, about £60 more)
  • Which manufacturer should i go for? There's quite a big difference in price between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom