• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyf00L

It's looking like my videocard is dying, I'm getting graphical artifacts from boot up.

Ksyp8Tf.jpg

Tried reinstalling the drivers and nothing. But since this happens before boot up I assume it's the card. My system is kind of old, have an AMD Phenom II X4 965 with a GeForce 460 GTX card. Is it worth just updating the videocard or would it be best to update the CPU, mobo, and vc? I'm trying to spend as little as possible but want to play some games like GTA V and Fallout 4 eventually.

One time I had artifacts (more like snow tho), and it turned out to be a loose cable. Try that first, too.

Even if you do upgrade, you can sell your old card if it's working fine.

ITX option

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£259.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.98 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard (£104.36 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£70.81 @ More Computers)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£74.35 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£74.35 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card (£570.98 @ Dabs)
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case (£59.59 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£84.78 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £1324.19
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-07 13:48 BST+0100

mATX option
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£259.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.98 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£75.56 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£70.81 @ More Computers)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card (£570.98 @ Dabs)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£60.78 @ More Computers)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£84.78 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £1296.58
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-07 13:51 BST+0100

Thanks mate. Is the 980ti overkill for 1080p gaming at the moment? Would money be better spent by spending £400 on the strix 980?

j-wood

While I was setting up my raid, I was doing some recabling. My new GTX970 needs two PCI-E connectors.

This is the PSU I have.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016

It has a 6+2 pin that comes straight out of the power supply, and it also has a modular cable point labeled PCI-E, but I can't find that modular cable anywhere, I'm not sure if it actually came with the PSU or not. If you look at the pictures, it's the red jack on the back.

Can I just order a PCI-E modular cable from amazon and it work fine? Right now I'm having to use the SATA to PCI-E adapater and it's causing clutter because of all the extra cable.

LilJoka

Thanks mate. Is the 980ti overkill for 1080p gaming at the moment? Would money be better spent by spending £400 on the strix 980?

Just depends on how much you want to crank the settings, lots of Ultra settings have no precievable difference except from the 10fps cost. Personally I'd get a GTX 980 and overclock to no end.

I'm not sure how the GTX 980 works out price-wise in the UK but in the US it sits in a horrible spot. At 1080p the performance difference between the GTX 970 and the 980 is tough to justify for the price difference and if you really want to spend more the GTX 980 ti actually seems worth the extra money over the GTX 980.

fwoibles

Have you checked to make sure all your fans are still spinning / not clogged with dust?

I'm in a similar boat as you with my hardware; a Phenom II with a Geforce 560. I've been thinking of upgrading to a 960 and then doing a new build in a year or two.

Same boat, X965 + Geforce 560. Will a new Graphicscard do me for a while?
GTA V is already very well playable.

Kintaco

Have you checked to make sure all your fans are still spinning / not clogged with dust?

I'm in a similar boat as you with my hardware; a Phenom II with a Geforce 560. I've been thinking of upgrading to a 960 and then doing a new build in a year or two.
The fans are fine, I had just dusted the computer a couple of months ago and did it again last night.

One time I had artifacts (more like snow tho), and it turned out to be a loose cable. Try that first, too.

Even if you do upgrade, you can sell your old card if it's working fine.
I unplugged everything when I dusted it off and plugged it back in, same thing.

I'm going to try it on another computer to see if it persists on the other computer.

Ah thanks for your responses guys. Yeah I have seen that the 980ti outperforms the stock titan x in some benchmarks.

There's a £150 price difference between the the 980 strix and evga 980ti so it might make sense just to go for the ti.

Regginator

Is 8GB still enough for gaming? I was thinking about adding another 8GB for ~55€. I would've gone with 4GB extra but somehow our local webshop doesn't have 1 stick for the 4GB Corsair Vengeance.

RGM79

Is 8GB still enough for gaming? I was thinking about adding another 8GB for ~55€. I would've gone with 4GB extra but somehow our local webshop doesn't have 1 stick for the 4GB Corsair Vengeance.

Well, for most games it's still enough. I don't think I've heard of a game that specifically requires 16GB. If nothing else, it just means you can't run as many programs in the background for the more RAM-intensive games. I've heard of GTAV crashing for users who have 8GB of RAM and have disabled their page file (not that good of a thing to do) because GTAV is using up quite a lot of RAM. Having a page file solves that, though.

By the way, why one stick? You don't have enough slots for two more in dual channel?

Looking to upgrade my graphics card after 3 years. Always been amd but would like to try nvidia this time. My cpu is still decent (i7 3770k). Would a gtx 970 be an appropriate upgrade for me? Looks like the perfect price. Note that I only play on one monitor atm at always at 1080p.

I'm in similar boat and just watched this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9cKZiJw6Pk

He recommends the 390 over the 970.

Now I'm really torn, currently trying to find used deals on 290s on Ebay, or good prices on any 970s or 390s non-ref cards.

Regginator

Well, for most games it's still enough. I don't think I've heard of a game that specifically requires 16GB. If nothing else, it just means you can't run as many programs in the background for the more RAM-intensive games. I've heard of GTAV crashing for users who have 8GB of RAM and have disabled their page file (not that good of a thing to do) because GTAV is using up quite a lot of RAM. Having a page file solves that, though.

By the way, why one stick? You don't have enough slots for two more in dual channel?

I've heard that indeed GTA V but also Witcher 3 eating up close to 8 gigs if you play them mostly maxed out. I assume this will be true for even more games in the near years to come, so I figured why not. They're pretty cheap. I do have more than enough slots left, I think 4 left (I now have a 2 sticks of 4GB) but I didn't know if Corsair Vengeance has 2x2GB and if the pricing would be appropriate considering a new 2x4GB would just cost me around 55€ (which isn't too bad).

Also about RAM, somehow when I use software like CPUID and Speccy it says my RAM is 666MHz while I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be 1600MHz. Does it only increase when it's under load and decrease when it's idle or not in heavy use?

My rig is complete and I am posting from it! Will post specs/pics soon, but I need some advice. Installing Nvidia drivers for the GTX 970. I selected custom install. What should I check? I am trying to keep this PC lean and mean. I see the following:

Graphics Driver (obviously need this one)
3D Vision Controller Driver
3D Vision Driver
HD Audio Driver (are these better than realtek?)
Miracast Virtual Audio
Nvidia GeForce Experience
PhysX System Software

As always, thanks for the help!

Edit: Ok, did a bit of research. Install Graphics driver, geforce experience, and physx for now.

OraleeWey

Hey GAF, this PC is for a buddy. But we both don't know how to shop for parts.

Anyway, it is a gaming PC first and foremost.

Must have WiFi, must be able to be Sli-able, and for the video card, he's looking into a 980ti. That's what he wants. No set budget, but the lower the better.

kennah

Hey GAF, this PC is for a buddy. But we both don't know how to shop for parts.

Anyway, it is a gaming PC first and foremost.

Must have WiFi, must be able to be Sli-able, and for the video card, he's looking into a 980ti. That's what he wants. No set budget, but the lower the better.
Read the op

RGM79

If that is the case then I should just get a 980.

GTX 980 is hard to recommend because the GTX 970 can be overclocked to match stock GTX 980 performance. Yes, the GTX 980 can also be overclocked to maintain a lead over an overclocked GTX 970, but the performance of the GTX 980 even when overclocked doesn't quite justify the extra cost over the GTX 970.

For a while the GTX 980 was one of the stronger single graphics card solutions so it still had a place for those looking for absolute strongest performance, but since the GTX 980 Ti came out with relatively better performance for the cost (as well as being the new king of the hill), there's not a lot of reason to get the GTX 980 looking at it from cost perspective.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Hola amigos. My tax return should roll in this week, and while I'd love to spend almost all of it on PC shit, I'm issuing some self control* and sticking to a monitor upgrade. I'd like to jump on one of the lower end 24" 1080p G-Sync monitors, and it comes down to two choices.

AOC G2460PG - $565
Acer Predator XB240H - $499

The price difference isn't huge, but if the latter isn't much different from the former it doesn't hurt to go with the cheaper option, especially since postage will fall on top of that.

I've had some feedback on the AOC, and found chit chat on the interwebs, and all signs point to it being a pretty solid monitor. But the Acer, being newer I guess, is hard to gauge. Seems most people did the low end upgrade when only the AOC was around.

Anybody here had experience with the Acer?

*excluding additional impulse purchases

LilJoka

If somebody can get the folders from here

http://pastebin.com/izPJvvY8

\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\InFlight\5493243309b9d001df780000ec114c13\amd64_microsoft-windows-u..ed-telemetry-client_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.17842_none_90da81a4dac50d54\

\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\InFlight\576aa73609b9d00159790000ec114c13\amd64_microsoft-windows-u..ed-telemetry-client_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.17842_none_90da81a4dac50d54\

\SystemRoot\WinSxS\amd64_prncacla.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.17415_none_95dd5540d57f8c01\Amd64\

\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\InFlight\9644903e0ab9d00115c30000ec114c13\amd64_microsoft-windows-u..ed-telemetry-client_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.17842_none_90da81a4dac50d54\

\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\InFlight\bfa2ef3e0ab9d0011ec30000ec114c13\amd64_microsoft-windows-u..ed-telemetry-client_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.17842_none_90da81a4dac50d54\

from their Win 8 install, it might be recoverable.

Again, i suggest you format and reinstall rather than waste time trying to find a fix.

yatesl

So, I currently have 8GB of RAM. My brothers 2x 2GB sticks have been playing up lately (giving him out of memory warnings during World of Warcraft), so I ordered him 1x 8GB of HyperX FURY 1866MHz for a bargain price of £35.

However, his case doesn't have a window and mine does, so I feel I should have the fancy coloured RAM vs plain DIMMS. HOWEVER, however, I would also prefer to have 2 slots populated instead of 1, to make it look better and make use of dual channel. So, really, I'd order another.

TL;DR - Would anyone recommend upgrading from 8 to 16GB RAM for £35 even if the only video editing I do is cutting down ShadowPlay recordings, and play Spelunky (considering Batman doesn't want to work)?

well guys, I need some advice.

I replaced my old cpu fan for a new one, then after installing all the components back again the PC won't turn on, pressing the power button does nothing. I checked all the cables, all of them were connected properly, but the computer won't turn on. I noticed something, before plugging the atx connector from the psu to the motherboard (before you notice it's plugged properly by noticing the 'click') it seems to send power, the cpu fan and the gpu turn on for less than a second, then it turns off.

I don't know if this could be because of the motherboard or maybe the PSU just passed away. any suggestions?

vocab

well guys, I need some advice.

I replaced my old cpu fan for a new one, then after installing all the components back again the PC won't turn on, pressing the power button does nothing. I checked all the cables, all of them were connected properly, but the computer won't turn on. I noticed something, before plugging the atx connector from the psu to the motherboard (before you notice it's plugged properly by noticing the 'click') it seems to send power, the cpu fan and the gpu turn on for less than a second, then it turns off.

I don't know if this could be because of the motherboard or maybe the PSU just passed away. any suggestions?
Did you take out the mobo? If so it could be grounded after you put it back in your case. Also, try out the paper clip trick to test your psu.

LilJoka

yep, I took out the mobo but I didn't turn it on, I just placed it on a table :

Unplug the PSU cables and do the paperclip test.

Unplug the front panel connectors from the board, use a small screw driver to short out the Power Switch pins to start the PC instead.

Unplug all peripherals.

Test with 1 stick of RAM.

Test without GPU (remove it), use onboard.

Unplug the PSU cables and do the paperclip test.

still have to try that method

Unplug the front panel connectors from the board, use a small screw driver to short out the Power Switch pins to start the PC instead.

tried that, but it didn't work

Unplug all peripherals.

Test with 1 stick of RAM.

Test without GPU (remove it), use onboard.

done that too, I only left the cpu, fan, and sticks of ram installed, but no luck :(

Do people run RTSS with a global fps lock and override certain games to turn it off, if that game has its own fps lock? I'm guessing you don't want 2 locks in place? I don't really understand why the nvidia driver would ever allow rendering more frames than your screen can display. Makes no sense to me.

What is the deal with borderless window mode/triple buffering? Is aero enabled by default in Win 8.1? Every time I tried it, performance was worse.

What are some good global Nvidia control panel settings?

Are there any must-do performance tweaks on a Win 8.1 system?

So, following my previous post, what do you guys think of these specs :

Intel i5 4590
Asus Z97 Anniversary
8 GB DDR3 1666mhz
R9 290
SSD 256 GB + 1TB WD

Total cost around 750€ (still missing power supply, what do you guys recommend ? )

The goal as I said is video/photo editting and gaming, is the i7 that much better ? the price difference is huge...

*How are AMD cpus too ?!

LilJoka

Do people run RTSS with a global fps lock and override certain games to turn it off, if that game has its own fps lock? I'm guessing you don't want 2 locks in place? I don't really understand why the nvidia driver would ever allow rendering more frames than your screen can display. Makes no sense to me.

What is the deal with borderless window mode/triple buffering? Is aero enabled by default in Win 8.1? Every time I tried it, performance was worse.

I just use RTSS for the fps lock and turn any in game locks off.

For global settings
Prefer maximum performance
Optimise for single display
Pre rendered frames 1

So, following my previous post, what do you guys think of these specs :

Intel i5 4590
Asus Z97 Anniversary
8 GB DDR3 1666mhz
R9 290
SSD 256 GB + 1TB WD

Total cost around 750€ (still missing power supply, what do you guys recommend ? )

The goal as I said is video/photo editting and gaming, is the i7 that much better ? the price difference is huge...

*How are AMD cpus too ?!

That build is very similar to mine, just that mine is an ITX build.

Since you're going to be doing video/photo editing, I think you'd want a bit more power from your CPU, perhaps an i5 4690k?

Another FYI, I purchased the Sapphire R9 290 Tri-Force X OC Edition and have problems with it. I'm sure you've heard of the black screening / random reboots and what not?

My problem hasn't been with black screening / random reboots so much but more so under-performance. Can't even get the card to even run Sleeping Dogs:DE @ 1080p High with a constant 30FPS. GPU Utilization is spiking everywhere from 0% to 100%, it's pretty bad. Tried under / overclocking and a multitude of different drivers, nothing seems to work. Tried increasing Voltage, nothing does the trick, as of yet.

That build is very similar to mine, just that mine is an ITX build.

Since you're going to be doing video/photo editing, I think you'd want a bit more power from your CPU, perhaps an i5 4690k?

Another FYI, I purchased the Sapphire R9 290 Tri-Force X OC Edition and have problems with it. I'm sure you've heard of the black screening / random reboots and what not?

My problem hasn't been with black screening / random reboots so much but more so under-performance. Can't even get the card to even run Sleeping Dogs:DE @ 1080p High with a constant 30FPS. GPU Utilization is spiking everywhere from 0% to 100%, it's pretty bad. Tried under / overclocking and a multitude of different drivers, nothing seems to work. Tried increasing Voltage, nothing does the trick, as of yet.

Wthhh !! I was not aware of this problem, another friend of ours recommended the R9...whats an alternative then ?!

Err edit, I meant R90 380 2GB.

riflen

I generally have a profile for each game, but the approach you mention should work just as well. The reason for allowing any frame rate is probably to provide choice. People want it. Don't like it? Use Vsync.

Windows 8.1 has a desktop composition manager permanently enabled. You cannot disable it as you could in previous releases of Windows.

Playing games in Windowed mode can appear to reduce the frame rate as displayed by tools like FRAPS. This is because those tools only measure the front buffer. In actuality, the GPU may be producing more frames per second than in fullscreen mode. Those frames just might not make it to the display.
The benefit is that you have a triple-buffered output with windowed mode, that will allow arbitrary frame rates with Vsync and can smooth out the delivery of frames to the display (some games have shoddy frame pacing and/or Vsync implementations).

You don't say if you're using SLI. Windowed modes and Nvidia SLI do not mix. Usually, SLI performance scaling is broken in any windowed mode and I believe that Nvidia still say that officially only fullscreen is supported for SLI.
In fact, the only benefit windowed modes offer SLI users, is that the game is presented in a window. SLI mode itself forces the game into triple-buffer-like behaviour, making it kind of pointless for SLI users. Unless they have a need to position the game window in a particular fashion.

There are no must-do Win 8.1 settings to my knowledge. Default NVCP global settings are usually best for the majority of users. Best to keep the tweaks in the per-game section.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
If somebody can get the folders from here

http://pastebin.com/izPJvvY8

from their Win 8 install, it might be recoverable.

Again, i suggest you format and reinstall rather than waste time trying to find a fix.

Firstly, thank you for all the help. It's awesome that you took the time to find what was wrong with my machine.

Do any readers with Windows 8.1 machines mind checking to see if they have these files and sending them my way?

I can try created another bootable media for a Windows reinstall, but ran into problems trying that before.

When do you guys think it will be worth it to go for a 6-8 core intel processor and DDR4 RAM? I want to get the most out of VR, and ideally I'd like to spend around 1500 on my rig. Think that will be possible next year (with a good gpu of course)?

Merovin

Hey GAF,

Me again with another stupid question (it's SSD time), I will learn these things soon I promise!!

In short, if I were to have a Samsung EVO SSD with my OS installed on and a Samsung PRO SSD with some high priority programs etc that I'll be using, will the programs on the PRO SSD be limited to the slower read/write speeds of the EVO SSD because of the OS being on the EVO SSD?

I’m probably going to look to sell the EVO SSD as it is one that came with my computer and upgrade to the PRO SSD, but if I decided against it I wasn’t sure if the above was a problem (although I doubt the actual read/write speed difference will be that noticeable).

Apologies as this is probably an incredibly dumb question, and many thanks in advance for the help!

RGM79

Hey GAF,

Me again with another stupid question (it's SSD time), I will learn these things soon I promise!!

In short, if I were to have a Samsung EVO SSD with my OS installed on and a Samsung PRO SSD with some high priority programs etc that I'll be using, will the programs on the PRO SSD be limited to the slower read/write speeds of the EVO SSD because of the OS being on the EVO SSD?

I’m probably going to look to sell the EVO SSD as it is one that came with my computer and upgrade to the PRO SSD, but if I decided against it I wasn’t sure if the above was a problem (although I doubt the actual read/write speed difference will be that noticeable).

Apologies as this is probably an incredibly dumb question, and many thanks in advance for the help!

It won't really make a difference. No, program loading speed isn't really dependent on the OS. A lot of people (me included) have/had the OS on a hard drive with games on a separate SSD, and there isn't much of a bottleneck, if any.

Edit: is there a reason why you want the Pro model? It's not really worth it most of the time unless you specifically need a feature of the 850 Pro.

When do you guys think it will be worth it to go for a 6-8 core intel processor and DDR4 RAM? I want to get the most out of VR, and ideally I'd like to spend around 1500 on my rig. Think that will be possible next year (with a good gpu of course)?

VR requirements are basically the same as normal games, except instead of a single display, the PC has to drive two slightly different displays. I'm not really sure a 6 or 8 core processor will make much of a difference - quad core processors are still the sweet spot when it comes to gaming performance and price. In certain situations, the higher clocked Intel quad core processors can beat out lower clocked 6 and 8 core processors (both Intel and AMD) because some games still don't really take advantage of more than 4 cores.

There's talk and promise that with DX12 and other improvements, games will finally be able to scale better to multiple threads and processors with more core counts will finally make a more meaningful difference for games, but I'm not totally convinced about it until they actually start making games with it and not just tech demos based on theory. They'll solve it sooner or later, but as someone in this thread said before, buy for the now and not for the promises in the future. I don't expect DX12 to be the thing that finally makes AMD's 6 and 8 core FX processors (which are already kinda outdated) comparable with Intel's current offerings, for example.

So, made a new build, let me know what you guys think :

SAPPHIRE R9 280 OC Dual Boost 3GB
GIGABYTE GA-Z97P
Kingston HyperX 2x4GB DDR 1600
Kingston SSD V300 240GB
WD 2TB SATA 6Gbps
Intel i7-4790K 4GHZ

*For Gaming & editing video/photos

Total 750€, this build comes from another store where I dont pay Tax, so its cheaper than the other store.

VR requirements are basically the same as normal games, except instead of a single display, the PC has to drive two slightly different displays. I'm not really sure a 6 or 8 core processor will make much of a difference - quad core processors are still the sweet spot when it comes to gaming performance and price. In certain situations, the higher clocked Intel quad core processors can beat out lower clocked 6 and 8 core processors (both Intel and AMD) because some games still don't really take advantage of more than 4 cores.

There's talk and promise that with DX12 and other improvements, games will finally be able to scale better to multiple threads and processors with more core counts will finally make a more meaningful difference for games, but I'm not totally convinced about it until they actually start making games with it and not just tech demos based on theory. They'll solve it sooner or later, but as someone in this thread said before, buy for the now and not for the promises in the future. I don't expect DX12 to be the thing that finally makes AMD's 6 and 8 core FX processors (which are already kinda outdated) comparable with Intel's current offerings, for example.

Thanks, I guess I'm kind of thinking 5 years ahead. I want my new rig to handily take on whatever games I feed it up until that point, and there will probably be 4k hmd's around then. The reason I mentioned VR was just to show that a consistent high framerate is important to me, and that combined with likely higher resolution displays in the future (which will be necessary for better future VR experiences but imo not as necessary for standard display technology) may require quite a bit more power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom