• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

cackhyena

How long does it usually take for a code like TPP to come after a purchase? I just ordered the G1 from Newegg. Or is it sent closer to the release date? Or never mind. I'm now guessing it comes on a card with the GPU. I'm a dummy.

Thats fair on the PSU, no harm in going bigger if its such a tiny cost.

On the Motherboard, my opinion is stay away from Killer NIC. Unfortunately the better value boards do have the Killer NIC, and it can be troublesome. At the end of the day the Intel NIC is the same one they use on Servers for the best reliability. That means more to me than a few ms ping or a MB of throughout or any driver shenanigans. The Killer software all looks like bloatware to me too, just like SSD Software (Samsung Magician etc).

Also why rule out ITX?

So I'm guessing I should ignore the software that's going to come with my samsung ssd? :p

As for ITX, I guess I never really thought about it, this build started out as an SLI 970 build, then a 980ti + wireless cards (decided to get those power line ethernet extenders instead).

At this point I guess I just the flexibility, just in case I want to add 2 more ram dimms, or another card or w/e Just because I'm not sure of so many things I would just rather have the flexibility at this point. And I don't really want to find another smaller psu, and fitting a rad might be a pain. And I have the space, I'm going from a full tower to a matx as is.

In a year or two or three, once either USB 3.0 or thunderbolt or w/e becomes a 'thing' and stuff starts to use it commonly I think I'll make another sky/cannonlake or w/e MITX build in one of these cases, I want to mess around with water cooling blocks and pumps and stuff, I've watched some videos and it looks really fun. The idea of making a tiny powerful computer is tempting in general.

Normally I'd recommend the ASRock Z97M OC Formula (£107) or the Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 (£109), but both of them also have Killer networking. It's up to you if you don't want to deal with it.

Personally I also think they went wrong with the bloated Killer NIC software, but at least it's possible to install just the driver and it should work well after that. Still, I recognize that not all are savvy enough to find and/or install drivers manually, or just want a good working product out of the box with no need to mess around to make it work the way it was supposed to work.

Yeah, the AS rock was tied with the MSI for me at first but I dropped it because the colors really clashed with the rest of what I was going to buy, I don't think it's an ugly board, I actually think it looks quite nice, gold and black, but I'd need to make a build around it. AS rock's youtube videos gave me plenty of unintentional entertainment.

But yeah, I don't really enjoy messing around with drivers and would like to avoid that if possible.

SRG01

Hah, don't worry about it. I started doing this when I was in between jobs to keep busy, but I started a new job a bit over a month ago so I'm getting paid this very moment.

I sometimes have nothing to do while fixing up PCs and printers at my job and I'm in a pretty relaxed work environment, so I get to keep stalking this thread while waiting for stuff to finish installing/downloading/uploading/loading/printing/etc.

Aw cmon RGM, at least let us buy you a coffee or beer! :)

In Haswell bios, there is a part called C6/C7 power states in CPU Configuration. Enable that and watch your idle voltages drop to 0v!

I may or may not have that in my BIOS but I'll check. I'm running an H-series board and MSI decided to cripple their lower end boards with their recent BIOS updates (ie. Removing negative voltage offsets amongst other things). If it's in this old BIOS, then yay!

Hasney

I don't think it'd make a huge difference. Guru3D did some testing and they concluded that even for SLI GTX 980s, the jump from PCI-E 2.0 to 3.0 results in marginal gains in the range of 3~5%. it wouldn't be worth the money unless you could upgrade to Ivy Bridge for really cheap.

That'd be almost £100 per %! Bargain!

Cheers, I'll do some reading around what sort of performance boost I get in CPU intensive games, but it doesn't look like it'd be worth it.

TGMIII

So what's the thoughts on Pascal/HBM2. I know it's a long bit off but are people expecting them to crush the flagship cards like the 980ti/Titan(X)? Obviously tech moves at a fast pace but there's been times where hardware runs a good few years before it's made "obsolete" and with the push for new GPU memory I can't help but feel like there's going to be a rapid change.

I'd love to pick up a 980ti right now but I don't absolutely need it and if those cards are expected to launch mid 2016 I could wait.

Gambit61

Absolutely agree.

Genuinely think this is the best thread on GaF.
Had countless questions answered and lots of extra advice. Even got a few cheap keys!

Im now on day 3 with my 970 build and I absolutely love it. Have a 4690k OC to 4400hz and working perfectly.
All of this was completely alien to me just a few weeks ago!

Bad side is ive already built up a backlog!

What voltage do you run your 4690k at?

RGM79

Just a heads up in case anyone isn't aware yet or is just dropping into this thread thinking about what graphics card to get:

Nvidia is now offering a redeemable code for MGSV Phantom Pain on their GTX 960 to GTX 980 Ti range. Check with your retailer to make sure they're supporting the promotion as the retailers get keys from Nvidia to pass on to customers, the codes aren't sent straight from Nvidia to customers.

Of course if anyone's interested in just the game, the surplus of codes that will come from this will drive down costs for the Phantom Pain, no need to pay full retail price when people are going to be selling redeemable keys for cheap.

I... think I might splurge and get a GTX 980 Ti. It'll cost for me nearly whole two weeks of pay.. but I want it. I know the 970 is the better proposition (I don't have a fancy monitor) but I can't help wanting it.

ACE 1991

Damn, a guy on Craigslist is selling a brand new, never opened EVGA 980... I have a 290 which I could flip for like $220 on Ebay, would you guys say this is worth it? If this sale is legit, of course.

Anyone? While this is undoubtedly a good deal on the 980, I'm curious if you all think the price difference (I should be able to sell the 290 for $220 shipped) is worth the extra performance going from a 290 to a 980.

RGM79

Anyone? While this is undoubtedly a good deal on the 980, I'm curious if you all think the price difference (I should be able to sell the 290 for $220 shipped) is worth the extra performance going from a 290 to a 980.

How much is the GTX 980 selling for?

ACE 1991

How much is the GTX 980 selling for?

I'm an idiot, no wonder no one answered my question originally, I never included the price! The listing says $300, which seems insanely low to me (which he/she acknowledges on the listing). I'm going to call him/her after work.

RGM79

I'm an idiot, no wonder no one answered my question originally, I never included the price! The listing says $300, which seems insanely low to me (which he/she acknowledges on the listing). I'm going to call him/her after work.

Sealed? Then yes, that's an absurdly good price. Even a new GTX 970 costs more than that.

ACE 1991

Sealed? Then yes, that's an absurdly good price. Even a new GTX 970 costs more than that.

Don't think it's sealed, but the owner claims it is unused and has the receipt for warranty purposes. (It's the EVGA SC model.) If this isn't a scam, it'll be pretty hard to say no... Will update if I end up joining team green ;)

LilJoka

So I'm guessing I should ignore the software that's going to come with my samsung ssd? :p

As for ITX, I guess I never really thought about it, this build started out as an SLI 970 build, then a 980ti + wireless cards (decided to get those power line ethernet extenders instead).

At this point I guess I just the flexibility, just in case I want to add 2 more ram dimms, or another card or w/e Just because I'm not sure of so many things I would just rather have the flexibility at this point. And I don't really want to find another smaller psu, and fitting a rad might be a pain. And I have the space, I'm going from a full tower to a matx as is.

In a year or two or three, once either USB 3.0 or thunderbolt or w/e becomes a 'thing' and stuff starts to use it commonly I think I'll make another sky/cannonlake or w/e MITX build in one of these cases, I want to mess around with water cooling blocks and pumps and stuff, I've watched some videos and it looks really fun. The idea of making a tiny powerful computer is tempting in general.

Yeah, the AS rock was tied with the MSI for me at first but I dropped it because the colors really clashed with the rest of what I was going to buy, I don't think it's an ugly board, I actually think it looks quite nice, gold and black, but I'd need to make a build around it. AS rock's youtube videos gave me plenty of unintentional entertainment.

But yeah, I don't really enjoy messing around with drivers and would like to avoid that if possible.

If you are coming from ATX think about the expansion ports you ever ended up using, im betting close to none. Most people are unsure so go ATX, recently people are more comfotable going mATX like your self, but really theres nothing stopping you building an ITX rig thats quieter than a rig with a Corsair AIO, and then changing the case to a Parvum down the line and adding a custom loop. You could build in a Fractal Node 304 with a very nice air cooler like a Noctua. I wouldnt even bother with skylake, you wont be upgrading for a LONG time - easily 2-3 years. I have an i7 3770 and wont upgrade for 2 years.

The only thing i have done to my build recently is swap in 2x8GB of RAM, thats easily going to last 3 years, and i actually have no issued running 2x4GB, just that DDR3 is getting cheap now, and probably expensive in a year due to DDR4.

And although the new USB types are super fast, its not like USB 3.0 is slow, you can get 80MB/s, thats nearly a HDD's sequential speed, more than enough to transfer multi GB files. Plus pick a board with the M.2 Slot so that the SSD is underneath the board ;)

If i was you, i would build in the Parvum today with a nice air cooler. Then later add a custom loop.

Anyone think of an obvious reason my 970 bus speed is x8 3.0 when it is in a x16 3.0 pcie slot? Checked everything in BIOS, and made sure the card wasn't in a power saving mode. My 7850 was set to x16. I have no other cards in my system. I realize it's not going to be a bottleneck, but I'm curious as hell as to why it's doing this.

kennah

Hah, don't worry about it. I started doing this when I was in between jobs to keep busy, but I started a new job a bit over a month ago so I'm getting paid this very moment.

I sometimes have nothing to do while fixing up PCs and printers at my job and I'm in a pretty relaxed work environment, so I get to keep stalking this thread while waiting for stuff to finish installing/downloading/uploading/loading/printing/etc.
I'm not as active as I used to be because I quit the desk job that let me be constantly in the thread ;)

ElTopo

Banned
There's still quite a bit of time until SF5 comes out, you may want to wait closer until then unless you really want to upgrade now. A good Intel i5 processor and motherboard will cost you about $300+ already, so that doesn't leave a lot for a graphics card. For a graphics card alone in the $200~300 range, I'd recommend an R9 290 for best performance, It's better than both a GTX 960 or R9 380 and costs around the same, the lowest priced models are a little over $240 after rebates.

Wait, do you currently have 4GB or 8GB of RAM? You said 2x2GB in the first post.

So, I'm going to upgrade (again) from 8 to 12 gigs of RAM. I don't think I'm going to see much of a performance boost. But that video card is my best bet, right?

RGM79

Anyone think of an obvious reason my 970 bus speed is x8 3.0 when it is in a x16 3.0 pcie slot? Checked everything in BIOS, and made sure the card wasn't in a power saving mode. My 7850 was set to x16. I have no other cards in my system. I realize it's not going to be a bottleneck, but I'm curious as hell as to why it's doing this.

Check your BIOS settings?

So, I'm going to upgrade (again) from 8 to 12 gigs of RAM. I don't think I'm going to see much of a performance boost. But that video card is my best bet, right?

Pretty much. It's either a new processor and motherboard or new graphics card, either one will make a large impact.

ElTopo

Banned
Check your BIOS settings?

Pretty much. It's either a new processor and motherboard or new graphics card, either one will make a large impact.

Any reason why I should hold back on the video card for now? Just curious. I can probably over clock my processor but I've never done this before and a little nervous (I'd have to go into the bios to do it).

LordAlu

I'm not as active as I used to be because I quit the desk job that let me be constantly in the thread ;)
Strangely I have less time to post here even though I now work at a desk rather than the retail side. I do at least get to do some more interesting stuff though, like visiting London next week for the Windows launch event. :)

niemant77

Neo Member
Hi,

been out of the loop with pc gaming for quite some time. Bought a competitive pc back in the day:

Intel Core i5-2500K 3300 1155 BOX
Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M PRO <Rev.3.0> P67 FRG SM

Can I upgrade with a MSI GX 970 graphics card only? Or do I have to consider investing more into another processor upgrade?

Thanks!

When using DDU, I've read that I can use it without uninstalling the driver before. Is it safe to do so? Also, do I need to use safe mode?
Also, do I install classic nvidia drivers or should I install the geforce experience? Does it includes drivers?
Hi,

been out of the loop with pc gaming for quite some time. Bought a competitive pc back in the day:

Can I upgrade with a MSI GX 970 graphics card only? Or do I have to consider investing more into another processor upgrade?

Thanks!
I have an i5-2500 and just received a gtx 970, the people in this thread told me it should keep up since there's no much difference between the latest CPUs (like 5-10% if I'm not mistaken).

RGM79

Any reason why I should hold back on the video card for now? Just curious. I can probably over clock my processor but I've never done this before and a little nervous (I'd have to go into the bios to do it).
There aren't any new graphics cards coming out soon. Take a look at this overclocking guide, it's basic but it'll get you started.

With the stock AMD cooler, you'll be a bit limited in terms of how far you can overclock and you'll need to watch out for temperatures.

Hi,

Thanks!

Yes, you'll have no problem putting in a GTX 970. If you want you can overclock your i5 2500K for a little extra performance to match the latest i5 processors. All the information you need is here, it's a bit daunting at first but trust me, if you're willing to read and do some trial and error, you'll save yourself a couple hundreds of dollars and get the same performance as a new i5 processor.

When using DDU, I've read that I can use it without uninstalling the driver before. Is it safe to do so? Also, do I need to use safe mode?
Also, do I install classic nvidia drivers or should I install the geforce experience? Does it includes drivers?

Yes, you can use DDU without uninstalling drivers before. In fact, the point of DDU is to help you remove the drivers completely. Yes, safe mode is recommended, DDU will automatically handle safe mode for you.

I don't understand what you mean about "classic drivers" and Geforce Experience. Both of them are separate things contained in the same download package from Nvidia's website. Geforce Experience isn't a set of drivers, it's a program that helps you to automatically change graphics quality settings in games for you and notifies you about new driver updates. You have to install the drivers, but Geforce Experience is an optional program that you can choose not to install.

Iorv3th

They have different coolers and different default clock speed settings. The MSI Gaming 4G is their top end model with their best cooler (Twin Frozr). In theory you can overclock slower models to match the faster models, but it's not always a given (silicon lottery: not all examples of GPUs will overclock to the same speeds) and they have different coolers so the models with smaller or worse coolers will end up running warmer.

Also, the top end Gaming 4G model's Twin Frozr cooler has a silent fan mode where it will shut off the fans at low temperature for silence, their other models don't have that.

Thanks. New video card incoming.

niemant77

Neo Member
I have an i5-2500 and just received a gtx 970, the people in this thread told me it should keep up since there's no much difference between the latest CPUs (like 5-10% if I'm not mistaken).

There aren't any new graphics cards coming out soon. Take a look at this overclocking guide, it's basic but it'll get you started.

Yes, you'll have no problem putting in a GTX 970. If you want you can overclock your i5 2500K for a little extra performance to match the latest i5 processors. All the information you need is here, it's a bit daunting at first but trust me, if you're willing to read and do some trial and error, you'll save yourself a couple hundreds of dollars and get the same performance as a new i5 processor.

Yes, you can use DDU without uninstalling drivers before. In fact, the point of DDU is to help you remove the drivers completely. Yes, safe mode is recommended, DDU will automatically handle safe mode for you.

I don't understand what you mean about "classic drivers" and Geforce Experience. Both of them are separate things contained in the same download package from Nvidia's website. Geforce Experience isn't a set of drivers, it's a program that helps you to automatically change graphics quality settings in games for you and notifies you about new driver updates. You have to install the drivers, but Geforce Experience is an optional program that you can choose not to install.

Thanks you two, thats great to hear. Amazing how long a pc these days holds up compared to the 90s.. Thanks again for the intel!

With the stock AMD cooler, you'll be a bit limited in terms of how far you can overclock and you'll need to watch out for temperatures.

ok thank you, so I just restard in safe mode and run DDU with the option remove+shutdown right? It removes the Catalyst Control Center too right?

hypernima

Banned
So I'm still working on my stream machine, and somehow I feel like it could be a little bit cheaper.
Thoughts?

CPU | Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor | $199.99 @ Micro Center
Motherboard| ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard | $64.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory| [Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory| $45.99 @ Amazon
Storage | Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive| $71.49 @ OutletPC
Storage | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive| $52.49 @ OutletPC
Video Card| EVGA GeForce GTX 570 1.25GB Video Card
Case | Xion XON-560 MicroATX Mini Tower Case| $29.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply | EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX
Power Supply
| $56.99 @ NCIX US
Wireless Network Adapter| Rosewill RNX-N250PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter| $17.10 @ Newegg

Total $539.03

RGM79

ok thank you, so I just restard in safe mode and run DDU with the option remove+shutdown right? It removes the Catalyst Control Center too right?
You can just run DDU right away, it takes care of everything. It will tell you that you're not in safe mode and automatically set your computer to boot into safe mode and run DDU. Yes, it will also remove CCC.

So I'm still working on my stream machine, and somehow I feel like it could be a little bit cheaper.
Thoughts?

CPU | Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor | $199.99 @ Micro Center
Motherboard| ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard | $64.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory| [Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory| $45.99 @ Amazon
Storage | Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive| $71.49 @ OutletPC
Storage | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive| $52.49 @ OutletPC
Video Card| EVGA GeForce GTX 570 1.25GB Video Card
Case | Xion XON-560 MicroATX Mini Tower Case| $29.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply | EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX
Power Supply
| $56.99 @ NCIX US
Wireless Network Adapter| Rosewill RNX-N250PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter| $17.10 @ Newegg

Total $539.03
If you're picking up the processor from a Micro Center branch, you can also pick up a cheap Z97 motherboard from there as part of a bundle deal. The ASRock Z97 Pro4 bundled with the i5 4690K is $260, which saves $5 off the cost of that H97 motherboard. You will need a larger ATX case to fit the ATX motherboard, though.

If you want to further cut costs when the build is already $500, consider going with a cheaper non-gold and/or non-modular PSU. Maybe even cut out the SSD for now, you can always add an SSD later.

Ronin Ray

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/FfXkZL
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/FfXkZL/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($96.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($175.88 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($86.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card ($679.95 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Titanium) ATX Mid Tower Case ($107.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($82.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) ($88.88 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1933.64
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-23 19:53 EDT-0400

This will be my first pc / build. Any feedback and advice is very welcome

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I had the problem again, so I tried something

I can make the problem occur multiple times now:
It will start up, Shut Down

Start up agian, show a blank blueish screen with UFEI bios, shut down

Start up and load windows

For me to make it occur more regularly I shut down the computer as soon as I see the desktop.

So what could be causing it, the HDD?

SLX

Banned
Instead of using HWmonitor, please use HWinfo (sensor only) in the OP. Show use the Core# VID and Core temp numbers. Also, it seems like your CPU is not downclocking while idling. Thus, will I've higher idle temps. Check Power Options > change plan settings > change advanced power settings > expand Processor power Management > Minimum processor state is set to 5%.
These numbers are before I made any changes to the BIOS. In the BIOS the overclock is set at Simple.

Idle:

3XoG89u.png

Under CPU Stress Test XTU:

8FiDKTM.png

Are you on Windows 8.1? Do you have Geforce Experience installed? If so, try disabling the nvidia shield streamer service.

I also had a weird long pause on bootup when I was installing a fresh Windows 8.1 on my new HP Envy Phoenix 850se. Stupid Geforce Experience.
Thank you, I just disabled it and I'll restart my computer and see if I notice any performance changes.

Hey, @SLX, I found accidentally something that may be useful to you: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=178063.0 "How to fix issues with Killer Lan"

Not sure if you still need this resource, but I just stumbled across this while I was looking in the MSI forums for something else :)

Awesome link thank you. I'm gonna reinstall Windows 8.1 for the 8th time this weekend and try that method.

knitoe

These numbers are before I made any changes to the BIOS. In the BIOS the overclock is set at Simple.
You cpu is definitely not downclocking while idle. See how the min cpu speed and core are similar to the max. Did you go into Power Options? If yes, go into the Bios and make sure all the C1, C3 and etc. are ENABLE.

As for your OC temps, it's under 85C so it's fine. You can get it lower by cpu core voltage and stress testing for stability.

SRG01

Idle:

Under CPU Stress Test XTU:

To mirror knitoe's comment, could you check and see what your CPU voltage settings are set at? IE. Auto, adaptive, offset, etc?

You cpu is definitely not downclocking while idle. See how the min cpu speed and core are similar to the max. Did you go into Power Options? If yes, go into the Bios and make sure all the C1, C3 and etc. are ENABLE.

As for your OC temps, it's under 85C so it's fine. You can get it lower by cpu core voltage and stress testing for stability.

If I remember correctly from earlier in the thread, I don't think they're OC but actually stock temps.

SLX

Banned

Yeah I turned down to 5% under the Power Options BTW.

To mirror knitoe's comment, could you check and see what your CPU voltage settings are set at? IE. Auto, adaptive, offset, etc?

If I remember correctly from earlier in the thread, I don't think they're OC but actually stock temps.
iNEfdQ8.png

wwsyC4j.png

I'm trying to find C1e support I think it is? Can't find the C1,C3 options.

knitoe

His CPU is OC. First, he stated his OC setting is auto: Simple. Secondly, all his cores are running at 4.4GHz. If not, only 1 core would turbo boost to that speed.

ElTopo

Banned

Yeah, no kidding. I was able to overclock a little bit (not much) and upgraded to 12 gigs of RAM and now
Hatred
is almost playable on low settings at 60FPS. It chugs along when things get crazy. But it's playable which is progress. I'll buy that video card when I get a chance.

Akai__

I have the weirdest issue with my PC.

My Xbox One is connected through an internal Capture Card (BMIP) via HDMI to the PC. When I shut down the PC, the fans keep spinning. Even if I pull the plug or flip the switch on the PSU. You know why? Because the HDMI cable appareantly powers my PC. I can even turn on my PC, by simply pulling the Xbox One plug, while the HDMI cable is connected to the Capture Card.

I noticed this today, because I cleaned the inside of my PC and waited until it completely powers down. What the heck is going on here?

Hi guys

Wanting to buy a 970. Looking at MSI offering as they got good reviews, quiet, etc.

But there are like 6 different versions. Is there really any difference between them other than color and LEDs?

4G, 4GLE, Gaming 100ME, 4GD5 OC, etc.

That's their blower model, and the one I'm probably going to get. GPU will run hotter than the other cards, but your overall system temperature should be cooler. Most of the hot air generated from the gpu will be pushed out the back of the card.

It's the preferred SFF (small form factor) MSI 970.

If you have an ATX motherboard/case you'll want the 4G Gaming version.

Just a heads up in case anyone isn't aware yet or is just dropping into this thread thinking about what graphics card to get:

Nvidia is now offering a redeemable code for MGSV Phantom Pain on their GTX 960 to GTX 980 Ti range. Check with your retailer to make sure they're supporting the promotion as the retailers get keys from Nvidia to pass on to customers, the codes aren't sent straight from Nvidia to customers.

Amazon has every gtx listed except my damn blower model. F u nvidia.

SRG01

His CPU is OC. First, he stated his OC setting is auto: Simple. Secondly, all his cores are running at 4.4GHz. If not, only 1 core would turbo boost to that speed.

What, what? When I upgraded my MSI firmware to the latest, my 4790k would turbo (edit: all cores) to 4.4GHz at stock...?

Yeah I turned down to 5% under the Power Options BTW.

iNEfdQ8.png

wwsyC4j.png

I'm trying to find C1e support I think it is? Can't find the C1,C3 options.

Off the top of my head, scroll down on that page to CPU specifications to find your C1e.

edit: Can you switch it to advanced mode? Nothing about those voltage settings is pointing to the voltages you're getting, strangely enough.

SLX

Banned
What, what? When I upgraded my MSI firmware to the latest, my 4790k would turbo (edit: all cores) to 4.4GHz at stock...?

Off the top of my head, scroll down on that page to CPU specifications to find your C1e.

edit: Can you switch it to advanced mode? Nothing about those voltage settings is pointing to the voltages you're getting, strangely enough.

1dLfwGW.png

XlbXiFc.png

5WrbhkB.png

SRG01

If all your cores are at 4.4GHz, that means your MB has a setting that is overclocking your CPU.

Normal Max Turbo Boost:
4 cores 4.2 ghz
3 cores 4.3 ghz
2 cores 4.4 ghz
1 core 4.4 ghz

It might be something MSI did with one of their firmware/BIOS updates then, because it was something that definitely happened when I upgraded my firmware months ago. I lost my undervolting features with that, so I downgraded back and lost the all core 4.4GHz.

Just ran Firestrike and was curious about my score.

TnJNTSv.png

My cpu isn't overclocked. My gpu is a Gigabyte G1 so it has a slight factory OC.

I'm using Windows 8.1 if that matters.

Is this score about what it should be for a system like mine?

I've recently decided to start building a new PC. The one I have is capable of most of the games I play on it (which are admittedly mostly older Steam games and MOBAs), but I have the cash right now and feel like it is time to upgrade.

Looking through the OP, I think I am aiming for in between Haz's "Best Value" and "Best Overall" machines. Something along the lines of the i5 4690k, GTX 960, 2x8gb RAM, SSD only (probably 500gb), etc. I'm really clueless on this whole process though. Does it matter which motherboard, power supply, and case I get to match these with? I don't need anything to flashy or fancy for the casing, and I am not planning on doing anything too crazy otherwise. Do I need a sound card and heat sink? What do they add?

Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry if these questions have well known answers, I am oblivious on the hardware side of things most of the time, and I barely helped my brother build our computer when I was younger.

SRG01

I've recently decided to start building a new PC. The one I have is capable of most of the games I play on it (which are admittedly mostly older Steam games and MOBAs), but I have the cash right now and feel like it is time to upgrade.

Looking through the OP, I think I am aiming for in between Haz's "Best Value" and "Best Overall" machines. Something along the lines of the i5 4690k, GTX 960, 2x8gb RAM, SSD only (probably 500gb), etc. I'm really clueless on this whole process though. Does it matter which motherboard, power supply, and case I get to match these with? I don't need anything to flashy or fancy for the casing, and I am not planning on doing anything too crazy otherwise. Do I need a sound card and heat sink? What do they add?

Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry if these questions have well known answers, I am oblivious on the hardware side of things most of the time, and I barely helped my brother build our computer when I was younger.

In short, yes the motherboard, power supply, and case are all important as you'll need to match whatever you're purchasing to the components you've chosen. For example, you can't fit a ATX motherboard into a micro-ATX case :) pcpartspicker.com has a nice system builder which filters out incompatible components, as well as showing you the best prices for each.

As far as a sound card goes, I would say no. However, if you're an audiophile, it's not a terrible investment, but there are motherboards that have good sound outputs.

Lastly, you chose an overclockable CPU, so yes a good heatsink would be needed if you're planning to overclock.

I'm ordering my new cpu+mobo+ram this weekend.

My budget is 430 euros (I could spend more if I had to but I really would rather not unless I have a very good reason like much better bang for buck by spending 20 more)
Buying from this store: www.power4pc.be so my choices are limited to what they sell.

Going with an i5 4690k

Is there any reason why I should not buy this motherboard?
http://www.power4pc.be/giga-byte-ga-z97p-d3-moederbord-ga-z97p-d3.html

I just want a solid z97 mobo that works (not some model with a flaw that needed a revision later), not interested in any gamez0r maximus motherboards that cost an arm and a leg; and I will never use SLI
Would this fit the bill?

What ram would you guys suggest? (I want 8GB, 1.5v or less, cl9 and 2 sticks for dual channel)
http://www.power4pc.be/kingston-4gb-ddr3-1600-hyperx-savage-cl90-ram-geheugen-hx316c9sr4.html
Is there any reason to not pick this? Or is there any better option around the same price on there?

As for the cooler:
http://www.power4pc.be/coolermaster-hyper-212-evo-cpu-koeler-rr-212e-16pk-r1.html
Is this a newer version of the evo 212 or still the old one?
How quiet is it? I would like at least inaudible on idle
Has anyone run this fan with a lower fan profile on a 4.5ghz i5?

I run my old arctic freezer capped at 800 rpm ( I think I set it at 300 rpm on idle) and it does the job with my phenom II, would like to be able to do something similar with a new cooler to keep things silent.

30-35 euros is really the max i'd wana spend on a cooler.
I care about noise way more than just low temps as long as it's good enough to OC to 4.5ghz so if there's something cheaper or better that accomplishes that I'd like to know:p
I vaguely remember the 212 being a performance cooler rather than low noise cooler but don't know what else is a good alternative these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom