• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a new monitor, but I'm having a major annoyance.

The monitor keeps adjusting the brightness or black level, not sure which. Say I'm browsing GAF (Dark Theme of course) and I open a link to a youtube video. When I come back to GAF the color is washed out.

What could be causing this? Seems to only happen on sites with video content.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

The monitor keeps adjusting the brightness or black level, not sure which. Say I'm browsing GAF (Dark Theme of course) and I open a link to a youtube video. When I come back to GAF the color is washed out.

Which monitor? Maybe video color settings in driver, but haven't heard of it doing that?
Could be some funky interaction with loosecable or video load with hardware acceleration). Maybe try turning that off or a different browser.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm ordering my new cpu+mobo+ram this weekend.

My budget is 430 euros (I could spend more if I had to but I really would rather not unless I have a very good reason like much better bang for buck by spending 20 more)
Buying from this store: www.power4pc.be so my choices are limited to what they sell.

Going with an i5 4690k

Is there any reason why I should not buy this motherboard?
http://www.power4pc.be/giga-byte-ga-z97p-d3-moederbord-ga-z97p-d3.html

I just want a solid z97 mobo that works (not some model with a flaw that needed a revision later), not interested in any gamez0r maximus motherboards that cost an arm and a leg; and I will never use SLI
Would this fit the bill?

What ram would you guys suggest? (I want 8GB, 1.5v or less, cl9 and 2 sticks for dual channel)
http://www.power4pc.be/kingston-4gb-ddr3-1600-hyperx-savage-cl90-ram-geheugen-hx316c9sr4.html
Is there any reason to not pick this? Or is there any better option around the same price on there?

As for the cooler:
http://www.power4pc.be/coolermaster-hyper-212-evo-cpu-koeler-rr-212e-16pk-r1.html
Is this a newer version of the evo 212 or still the old one?
How quiet is it? I would like at least inaudible on idle
Has anyone run this fan with a lower fan profile on a 4.5ghz i5?

I run my old arctic freezer capped at 800 rpm ( I think I set it at 300 rpm on idle) and it does the job with my phenom II, would like to be able to do something similar with a new cooler to keep things silent.

30-35 euros is really the max i'd wana spend on a cooler.
I care about noise way more than just low temps as long as it's good enough to OC to 4.5ghz so if there's something cheaper or better that accomplishes that I'd like to know:p
I vaguely remember the 212 being a performance cooler rather than low noise cooler but don't know what else is a good alternative these days.
New chips in a month. I'd just buy a used cpu if you are budget tight now.

I can't check mobo on phone now
RAM like you said 1.5v and whatever is fine.
Evo is updated. You can always limit fan speed or run two fans slower. Still best option sans the triangle Zalmans which are OK too and whatever rifle coolers go on flash sales.

In short, yes the motherboard, power supply, and case are all important as you'll need to match whatever you're purchasing to the components you've chosen. For example, you can't fit a ATX motherboard into a micro-ATX case :) pcpartspicker.com has a nice system builder which filters out incompatible components, as well as showing you the best prices for each.

As far as a sound card goes, I would say no. However, if you're an audiophile, it's not a terrible investment, but there are motherboards that have good sound outputs.

Lastly, you chose an overclockable CPU, so yes a good heatsink would be needed if you're planning to overclock.

Thanks for the response. I'm not too interested in pushing my computer to it's limits. I'm just looking to have something that can comfortably run modern games even on medium settings.

my CPU (i5-2500 at stock settings) when on load sometimes reach the 60° C. My room temperature is 30° C, is it normal? It doesn't stay on 60, it floats between high 50 and 60.
Or I need to change the thermal paste?

Gambit61

Is there a dynamic contrast option? Or maybe some kind of energy saver setting?

Recently upgraded to a 970 and an Acer XB270HU. Holy crap, amazing improvement. Before that I had a 6950 and an old 24" TN panel. The monitor was also at quite a good discount because it was refurbished. 650 CAD which at the current exchange rate is less than 500 USA.

That's fine. Or even good with that ambient temp so high.

I should worry only if it reaches 70° C right? I think 71°C is the max temperature for the chip
Recently upgraded to a 970 and an Acer XB270HU. Holy crap, amazing improvement. Before that I had a 6950 and an old 24" TN panel. The monitor was also at quite a good discount because it was refurbished. 650 CAD which at the current exchange rate is less than 500 USA.
Same old and new card as yours xD Only thing I still have a little tv-monitor because I don't have physical space at the moment for a proper one xD

Pachimari

Which thread should I go to, if I am looking for a top notch monitor for my desktop?
Specifically something with 144hz, 4K/1440 and G-Sync. Are the 3 listed in the OP still the ones recommendable or has anything since come out?

Arex

Just ran Firestrike and was curious about my score.

TnJNTSv.png

My cpu isn't overclocked. My gpu is a Gigabyte G1 so it has a slight factory OC.

I'm using Windows 8.1 if that matters.

Is this score about what it should be for a system like mine?

I think we might have similar system, my mobo and GPU is MSI though, but the result is similar enough I think!
My original score with the factory OC setting,
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5371894
And this is my latest result so far after some OC haha
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/7784673?

knitoe

Which thread should I go to, if I am looking for a top notch monitor for my desktop?
Specifically something with 144hz, 4K/1440 and G-Sync. Are the 3 listed in the OP still the ones recommendable or has anything since come out?

The Acer XB270HU is currently the top rated gaming monitor, IPS 1440p 144hz GSync.

New chips in a month. I'd just buy a used cpu if you are budget tight now.

I can't check mobo on phone now
RAM like you said 1.5v and whatever is fine.
Evo is updated. You can always limit fan speed or run two fans slower. Still best option sans the triangle Zalmans which are OK too and whatever rifle coolers go on flash sales.

Is 430 euros really budget tight for cpu+mobo+ram thes days? When I bought this pc 530 euros was enough for the entire computer...

I've looked at second hand cpus, noone sells i5s in my country, at least not at anything other than new price - 10 euros.
I don't want to wait another months for what is certainly going to be another 5-10 percent performance increase (from every rumor I've read) alongside yet another 10 percent price increase (just like the last 3 gens of intel cpus all had a 10 percent price increase)

SLX

Banned
The Acer XB270HU is currently the top rated gaming monitor, IPS 1440p 144hz GSync.
I would highly recommend against this suggestion, unless you hit the lottery and get one that doesn't have significant backlight bleed and other issues.

Don't get me wrong the colors and detail were strikingly gorgeous, but I felt there was such a lack of overall quality control. I took back the monitor twice, and after being frustrated my second time I just went with a BenQ. And I love IPS monitors but considering the cost and the issues I had, it wasn't worth it.

Caveat emptor.

Pachimari

I would highly recommend against this suggestion, unless you hit the lottery and get one that doesn't have significant backlight bleed and other issues.

Don't get me wrong the colors and detail were strikingly gorgeous, but I felt there was such a lack of overall quality control. I took back the monitor twice, and after being frustrated my second time I just went with a BenQ. And I love IPS monitors but considering the cost and the issues I had, it wasn't worth it.

Caveat emptor.
Which BenQ monitor did you go with, if I may ask? :)

Devildoll

Just ran Firestrike and was curious about my score.

TnJNTSv.png

My cpu isn't overclocked. My gpu is a Gigabyte G1 so it has a slight factory OC.

I'm using Windows 8.1 if that matters.

Is this score about what it should be for a system like mine?

fH7PRpq.png

As you can see in this section, you're in the same range as the majority of users with that setup, which means its a normal score.

daxy

Is 430 euros really budget tight for cpu+mobo+ram thes days? When I bought this pc 530 euros was enough for the entire computer...

I've looked at second hand cpus, noone sells i5s in my country, at least not at anything other than new price - 10 euros.
I don't want to wait another months for what is certainly going to be another 5-10 percent performance increase (from every rumor I've read) alongside yet another 10 percent price increase (just like the last 3 gens of intel cpus all had a 10 percent price increase)

I don't know about Belgium, but these are roughly the prices in the Netherlands:
For around 240 you should be able to get a i5-4690K, for 90-110 you can find solid motherboards like the one you're looking at and for 50-60 you can get good memory. Altogether it shouldn't run you more than 410, to be honest. For another 25 you can get the 212 Evo. If prices (or consumer taxes) are higher in Belgium, perhaps try to buy it here. Check websites like Tweakers.net or Hardware.info (NL) to find the best prices here. Just checking the Belgian Tweakers.net (change NL to BE in top right if it defaults to NL) you should be able to fit in that budget easily. It's indeed a bit pricier there, but you should be able to find what you need for under 430.

Maniac

Banned
There's the Noctua NH-U14S starting at 515 kr, it offers good cooling performance and noise levels while maintaining smaller width to be compatible with most motherboards and RAM modules, although as stated on their website it may interfere with the closest RAM slot on socket 115X motherboards.

Hey man, sorry about never replying again! Totally forgot to after reading your reply. Anyway, I've been thinking it over again recently and having looked around, I'm thinking a NH-D15 would be pretty great. What do you think? The performance it gets looks quite great, and as far as I've been able to read it's not all that loud either. (Atleast with the shock-absorbing thingiemajiggidies)

A few minutes ago I remembered that I don't actually have a PSU as my own died and I've been using my friends' "extra" for two months now. Does anyone have some good suggestions? I've honestly no clue what the consensus on PSUs is. No idea about ratings, certification and all that bronze and silver jazz. All I know is I've heard good things about Corsair.

At the moment I'm scraping by with 600W, but I'd love the room to expand, and modularity is always a plus.

edit: located in Denmark, by the way. Thinking $100 or there abouts as a soft max, which is roughly 750 Danish Kroner.

Cheers lads.

SLX

Banned
Which BenQ monitor did you go with, if I may ask? :)
An overpriced TN panel at 1080p with GSYNC, the 2420G.

As much as I would love a higher resolution, I figure we'll I'd like to have a single card for a 2-3 years than maybe revisit getting a different monitor/GPU. Play AAA titles at Ultra 144hz GSYNc.

I'm fine with 1080p right now and 144hz, besides a lot of my time is spent playing competively CS, which I'm running ULMB at 120hz.

Like I said I know I overspent, but I wasn't really impressed by the Asus ROG, again more quality issues users had. Overall I'm very happy, of course not as stunning as that Acer panel but whatever.

LilJoka

Yeah I turned down to 5% under the Power Options BTW.

I'm trying to find C1e support I think it is? Can't find the C1,C3 options.

Enable EIST (that is speedstep)
Disable Enhanced Turbo (runs all cores at same speed when enabled and probably on Auto too)

RGM79

Hey man, sorry about never replying again! Totally forgot to after reading your reply. Anyway, I've been thinking it over again recently and having looked around, I'm thinking a NH-D15 would be pretty great. What do you think? The performance it gets looks quite great, and as far as I've been able to read it's not all that loud either. (Atleast with the shock-absorbing thingiemajiggidies)

A few minutes ago I remembered that I don't actually have a PSU as my own died and I've been using my friends' "extra" for two months now. Does anyone have some good suggestions? I've honestly no clue what the consensus on PSUs is. No idea about ratings, certification and all that bronze and silver jazz. All I know is I've heard good things about Corsair.

At the moment I'm scraping by with 600W, but I'd love the room to expand, and modularity is always a plus.

edit: located in Denmark, by the way. Thinking $100 or there abouts as a soft max, which is roughly 750 Danish Kroner.

Cheers lads.
Yeah, Noctua is usually a very good brand when it comes to noise and performance. What case do you have? We should make sure the cooler can fit into your case.

PSU recommendations? No problem. Can you list your PC specs? We need to take into account what parts you have to figure out how much wattage your PC might end up needing. All I can find is that you have a 3770K, and it probably isn't overclocked?

Pachimari

An overpriced TN panel at 1080p with GSYNC, the 2420G.

As much as I would love a higher resolution, I figure we'll I'd like to have a single card for a 2-3 years than maybe revisit getting a different monitor/GPU. Play AAA titles at Ultra 144hz GSYNc.

I'm fine with 1080p right now and 144hz, besides a lot of my time is spent playing competively CS, which I'm running ULMB at 120hz.

Like I said I know I overspent, but I wasn't really impressed by the Asus ROG, again more quality issues users had. Overall I'm very happy, of course not as stunning as that Acer panel but whatever.

Interesting. I'll look into that one as well.
An ugh do I need someone to train me in Counter-Strike.

SLX

Banned
Interesting. I'll look into that one as well.
An ugh do I need someone to train me in Counter-Strike.
YMMV, you might be better off with the XL110 or whatever that model is. It just depends on what your needs are.

I got a great deal on the BenQ, I wouldn't pay retail price for it though.

If you are used to IPS monitors and going to TN its going to feel like a downgrade. I can sacrifice image quality if that means better input lag and such. Im keeping my UltraSharp for graphic design shit, cause the color accuracy is incredible.

I would say just do as much research as you can. My method on building a PC is to build around the monitor I want, and get the most out of it by the parts I pick for the PC.

If I didn't play CS seriously I wouldn't give a shit. And really I'm not sure how much it really matters in the end, although the tests people do seem somewhat persuasive. Shrugs.

So yeah I spent much more time reviewing monitors than I ever did parts. The computer build itself took 5 minutes, but the monitor search was an agonizing process. I wish the Acer panned out, but oh well. I figure give it a year or two for those issues to be ironed out by the manufacturers then get another IPS for gaming.

Did you find it? What is it currently set at?
I'll get around to tweaking it tonight if not tomorrow.

LilJoka

Does this include messing witht the C1e support feature as well?

You should have a menu with C1, C3, C6, C7 states too, its usually under CPU features -> Power management, but i think that since EIST is disabled, thats probably where the actual problem is in terms of not downclocking at idle.

Your VCore is still high at load, that might be due to the Enhanced Turbo setting or the XMP profile enabled. Or the chip just as a high VID table, in which case you need to start testing negative Vcore offset.

Darn it newegg and your schizophrenic shipping! My case shows up in 2 days, but RAM takes over a week. No new PC for me this weekend I guess.

harz-marz

Hi all

I took the plunge on a gaming PC back in 2012 with the following build:

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i5-2500 Quad Core (3.30GHz, 6MB Cache) + HD Graphics
Motherboard ASUS® P8Z68-V: USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, NVIDIA®SLI™, ATI®CrossFireX
Memory (RAM) 8GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)
Graphics Card 1.25GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 570 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
1st Hard Disk 1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
Power Supply CORSAIR 650W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX650 V2 - 80 PLUS® BRONZE

Since then, I have put in a GTX970 and an SSD and got a considerable improvement on performance.

Am I right in saying that with this motherboard my CPU upgrade options are limited? Also I would like to get the GTX980TI (should have been more patient and waited)

Would I be crazy to build a new system? I want to game at 1440P with a fast FPS and want a system that is future proof. The system I have now performs well but I feel my options in future may become more limited.

Thoughts?

Maniac

Banned
Yeah, Noctua is usually a very good brand when it comes to noise and performance. What case do you have? We should make sure the cooler can fit into your case.

PSU recommendations? No problem. Can you list your PC specs? We need to take into account what parts you have to figure out how much wattage your PC might end up needing. All I can find is that you have a 3770K, and it probably isn't overclocked?

Aye, 3770K, currently unclocked. I'd definitely want room for overclocking though, since that's one of the reasons I'm getting a good cooler aswell. My GPU is currently a 780ti, although it's one that's actually borrowed off of a friend; normally I run with a standard 780.

Other than that my mobo is a P8Z77-V LX, 16 gigs of Corsair Vengeance ram, a WD Blue 1TB drive, a 250gig Samsung 840 Pro and an Asus ROG Xonar Phoebus, all sat inside an NZXT Phantom 410.

I believe that's everything. But again, always good to have options for further upgrades down the line, I'm quite sure I'm going to get a Pascal card whenever those come out.

RGM79

Hi all

I took the plunge on a gaming PC back in 2012 with the following build:

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i5-2500 Quad Core (3.30GHz, 6MB Cache) + HD Graphics
Motherboard ASUS® P8Z68-V: USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, NVIDIA®SLI™, ATI®CrossFireX
Memory (RAM) 8GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)
Graphics Card 1.25GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 570 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
1st Hard Disk 1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
Power Supply CORSAIR 650W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX650 V2 - 80 PLUS® BRONZE

Since then, I have put in a GTX970 and an SSD and got a considerable improvement on performance.

Am I right in saying that with this motherboard my CPU upgrade options are limited? Also I would like to get the GTX980TI (should have been more patient and waited)

Would I be crazy to build a new system? I want to game at 1440P with a fast FPS and want a system that is future proof. The system I have now performs well but I feel my options in future may become more limited.

Thoughts?

Well, your best CPU upgrade options would be to find a used 3570K or 3770K. Either of those should be very good for a couple years longer, especially when overclocked. If you live in the US, Microcenter still sells the i5 3570K for an alright price but for pickup only. If you do go this route, make sure you upgrade your motherboard's BIOS before you get rid of the i5 2500 processor.

You could get the GTX 980 Ti, the processor wouldn't be that much of a bottleneck. However because the i5 2500 isn't overclockable, it'll start feeling less capable in the coming years.

You wouldn't need to build an entirely new PC. You could just replace the motherboard and CPU. If you buy Haswell and Z97 parts now, you can reuse your DDR3 RAM which will save you some money. You could also wait for the new Intel Skylake processors and Z170 motherboards coming out next month, but those will require you to buy new DDR4 RAM.

It's only natural that your ~4 year old PC will start to feel less upgradeable. Intel intentionally does this by changing their consumer grade CPU sockets and chipsets every so often (two years, maybe less). Performance-wise your PC is still alright for now, but it's up to you if you want to start consider getting upgrades.

harz-marz

Well, your best CPU upgrade options would be to find a used 3570K or 3770K. Either of those should be very good for a couple years longer, especially when overclocked. If you live in the US, Microcenter still sells the i5 3570K for an alright price but for pickup only. If you do go this route, make sure you upgrade your motherboard's BIOS before you get rid of the i5 2500 processor.

You could get the GTX 980 Ti, the processor wouldn't be that much of a bottleneck. However because the i5 2500 isn't overclockable, it'll start feeling less capable in the coming years.

You wouldn't need to build an entirely new PC. You could just replace the motherboard and CPU. If you buy Haswell and Z97 parts now, you can reuse your DDR3 RAM which will save you some money. You could also wait for the new Intel Skylake processors and Z170 motherboards coming out next month, but those will require you to buy new DDR4 RAM.

It's only natural that your ~4 year old PC will start to feel less upgradeable. Intel intentionally does this by changing their consumer grade CPU sockets and chipsets every so often (two years, maybe less). Performance-wise your PC is still alright for now, but it's up to you if you want to start consider getting upgrades.

Great advice, thanks very much. I think I will upgrade my monitor which is only 1080P 60HZ and splash out on an Acer Predator xb270hu, then look at upgrading the PC later on.

Would I get good 1440P performance? I suppose the gsync would smooth out any issues.

RGM79

Aye, 3770K, currently unclocked. I'd definitely want room for overclocking though, since that's one of the reasons I'm getting a good cooler aswell. My GPU is currently a 780ti, although it's one that's actually borrowed off of a friend; normally I run with a standard 780.

Other than that my mobo is a P8Z77-V LX, 16 gigs of Corsair Vengeance ram, a WD Blue 1TB drive, a 250gig Samsung 840 Pro and an Asus ROG Xonar Phoebus, all sat inside an NZXT Phantom 410.

I believe that's everything. But again, always good to have options for further upgrades down the line, I'm quite sure I'm going to get a Pascal card whenever those come out.

You should be quite good with a ~650 watt PSU, that will give you enough headroom for future upgrades and overclocking, unless you happen to be adding a lot and going for a very high overclock.

I'll list some links for various power supplies, in no particular order. I can't actually read the language, so it's up to you to double check details like prices and shipping, but they hopefully should be well-priced as far as I can find.

http://www.computeronline.dk/produkt/427344/evga-600b-bronze
http://www.computersalg.dk/produkt/990377?varenummer=990377
https://www.happii.dk/Stroemforsyning/GM-G650W-650W-PSU/2430899

Let me list some higher wattage recommendations below..

http://www.proshop.dk/Stroemforsyning/Corsair-CX750M-750W-PSU-2391357.html
http://www.proshop.dk/Stroemforsyning/EVGA-SuperNOVA-750-B1-750W-PSU-2471407.html
http://www.compumail.dk/vare-oversigt.php?varenummer=987690618&type=hardware&RefId=pricerunner

Great advice, thanks very much. I think I will upgrade my monitor which is only 1080P 60HZ and splash out on an Acer Predator xb270hu, then look at upgrading the PC later on.

Would I get good 1440P performance? I suppose the gsync would smooth out any issues.

The GTX 970 is a bit less potent at 1440p than it is at 1080p, but if you're not too concerned about having 60FPS and/or the best possible graphics quality settings, then you should be alright.

Actual performance will depend on what games at what resolution and settings you will play at, of course. You'll need to do a little research on that. Here's some example benchmarks for the GTX 970 at various resolutions.

I'm not much of a monitor guy, but I think G-sync will help you in terms of framerate.

Which monitor? Maybe video color settings in driver, but haven't heard of it doing that?
Could be some funky interaction with loosecable or video load with hardware acceleration). Maybe try turning that off or a different browser.

Just tried Chrome, been using Firefox...it doesn't happen in Chrome.

LG 23MP57HQ-P

It really appears like the black level/brightness or something is getting adjusted when I open a video in full screen via youtube, etc.

I don't know about Belgium, but these are roughly the prices in the Netherlands:
For around 240 you should be able to get a i5-4690K, for 90-110 you can find solid motherboards like the one you're looking at and for 50-60 you can get good memory. Altogether it shouldn't run you more than 410, to be honest. For another 25 you can get the 212 Evo. If prices (or consumer taxes) are higher in Belgium, perhaps try to buy it here. Check websites like Tweakers.net or Hardware.info (NL) to find the best prices here. Just checking the Belgian Tweakers.net (change NL to BE in top right if it defaults to NL) you should be able to fit in that budget easily. It's indeed a bit pricier there, but you should be able to find what you need for under 430.

Those are similar prices to belgium.
250 euros for 4690k, 91 euros for the mobo i linked and 52 euros for 2 sticks of the ram I linked.
The 400 euros budget I mentioned was for people who might recommend alternatives

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Just tried Chrome, been using Firefox...it doesn't happen in Chrome.

LG 23MP57HQ-P

It really appears like the black level/brightness or something is getting adjusted when I open a video in full screen via youtube, etc.
Liked I said, disable hw accel and set of it changes after a restart, then check your gpu drivers and video color settings
Those are similar prices to belgium.
250 euros for 4690k, 91 euros for the mobo i linked and 52 euros for 2 sticks of the ram I linked.
The 400 euros budget I mentioned was for people who might recommend alternatives
Should be fine.

Liked I said, disable hw accel and set of it changes after a restart, then check your gpu drivers and video color settings

Should be fine.

Thanks, I just wanted to link the motherboard on here in case anyone had a bad experience with it.
Whenever I see some mobo that is on revision 3 that must mean there were 2 previous revisions that were crappy enough to need updating , and I don't want one of those:p

harz-marz

Can I overclock an i5 2500 non-k? Seems to be diff reports online as to whether this is possible. My motherboard is a P8Z68-V.

I wouldn't even know where to start! Any suggestions?

Maniac

Banned
You should be quite good with a ~650 watt PSU, that will give you enough headroom for future upgrades and overclocking, unless you happen to be adding a lot and going for a very high overclock.

I'll list some links for various power supplies, in no particular order. I can't actually read the language, so it's up to you to double check details like prices and shipping, but they hopefully should be well-priced as far as I can find.

http://www.computeronline.dk/produkt/427344/evga-600b-bronze
http://www.computersalg.dk/produkt/990377?varenummer=990377
https://www.happii.dk/Stroemforsyning/GM-G650W-650W-PSU/2430899

Let me list some higher wattage recommendations below..

http://www.proshop.dk/Stroemforsyning/Corsair-CX750M-750W-PSU-2391357.html
http://www.proshop.dk/Stroemforsyning/EVGA-SuperNOVA-750-B1-750W-PSU-2471407.html
http://www.compumail.dk/vare-oversigt.php?varenummer=987690618&type=hardware&RefId=pricerunner
Honestly, simple recommendations would've been more than fine, I should hopefully be able to find the darn things what with the whole fact that I speak the language, heh. But seriously, thanks a ton man. You're good help as always!

Anyway, how important is the certification stuff anyway? Is something being above bronze a big deal? All I've gathered is that it being bronze-certified means it's reliable at the very least. Gods, I know nothing about PSUs.

Really considering that Corsair one though, my friends have all had really good experiences with them in regards to service & support, much like Noctua.

RGM79

Honestly, simple recommendations would've been more than fine, I should hopefully be able to find the darn things what with the whole fact that I speak the language, heh. But seriously, thanks a ton man. You're good help as always!

Anyway, how important is the certification stuff anyway? Is something being above bronze a big deal? All I've gathered is that it being bronze-certified means it's reliable at the very least. Gods, I know nothing about PSUs.

Really considering that Corsair one though, my friends have all had really good experiences with them in regards to service & support, much like Noctua.

Technically speaking, the 80 plus bronze-silver-gold-platinum thing is just a level of efficiency that the power supply has been certified to work at. Yes, usually companies do tend to offer higher quality power supplies at higher efficiency levels, but it's not unheard of for "only" 80 Plus or bronze level PSUs to be good quality (relative to their price).

The Corsair CX750M is actually one of the lower end PSUs that Corsair offers. It's not awful, just average and probably fine for most users, just not up there with some of the better built power supplies. We usually try to avoid recommending it around here because there are usually better models for the price (at least in North America). In this case it is one of the lower priced 750 watt models available in your region, so it's an option. If you prefer Corsair support, then feel free to go with Corsair as I have no idea what presence or level of support these companies offer in your country.

ACE 1991

Two quick questions:

Got a great deal on a used G1 Gigabyte 970 (I hear this is one of the better ones). Does anyone know Gigabytes warranty policy? It seems like it's based upon the serial number of the GPU, so if something goes wrong while it's still under warranty it shouldn't matter that I didn't personally buy it.

Also, I'm selling my friend my 3 month old r9 290 to pay for the bulk of the 970. He's building a new PC using the parts I recommended him (here: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cZwB6h ). A 600w CPU is fine with this setup minus a 970 and with a 290, correct? Even with some CPU overclocking? I had the r9 290 in my setup with an oc'd 2500K on 620w, so I imagine this isn't a issue, but I just want to make totally sure before he orders any parts.

Changed my mind, about to order this:

Arctic Silver 5 Premium Silver 3.5g artnr. 2144
€ 6,95

Be quiet! Pure Rock artnr. 738084
€ 34,90

Corsair Vengeance LP artnr. 425856
€ 58,90

Gigabyte Z97P-D3 artnr. 688194
€ 84,49

Intel Core i5 4690K / 3.5 Ghz artnr. 707630
€ 245,90

Total: €431,14

From azerty.nl
They seem to deliver to belgium and claim delivery within 24 hours (and now that I'm ordering I'm pretty hyped and impatient

I guess I need the thermal paste because it doesn't mention any being included with the custom heatsink

Picked low profile ram just in case, don't want to have to deal with it not fitting under that cooler...

Has anyone in dutch or be gaf had any experience with azerty.nl?

aaaand ordered

I'll probably get a new gpu too once all this stuff is installed and I know it's properly working.
When's nvidia's new shit coming out? gtx970 prices are disgusting here.

Stolen Sheep

Neo Member
Lads, are there disadvantages to buying DDR4 memory at higher frequencies than the processor supports? 2400 seems as cheap if not cheaper than 2133 in most cases and 2400 could be utilised in the future as long as the motherboard and whenever future processor I buy supports it.

ricki42

€ 6,95

€ 34,90

I guess I need the thermal paste because it doesn't mention any being included with the custom heatsink

It looks like it comes with thermal paste pre-applied (similar to stock cooler). But it's probably a good idea to have some anyway, if you have to reseat the cooler.

mkenyon

Banned

€ 6,95

€ 34,90

Corsair Vengeance LP artnr. 425856
€ 58,90

Gigabyte Z97P-D3 artnr. 688194
€ 84,49

Intel Core i5 4690K / 3.5 Ghz artnr. 707630
€ 245,90

Total: €431,14

From azerty.nl
They seem to deliver to belgium and claim delivery within 24 hours (and now that I'm ordering I'm pretty hyped and impatient

Picked low profile ram just in case, don't want to have to deal with it not fitting under that cooler...

Has anyone in dutch or be gaf had any experience with arerty.nl?

aaaand ordered

I'll probably get a new gpu too once all this stuff is installed and I know it's properly working.
When's nvidia's new shit coming out? gtx970 prices are disgusting here.
Holy shit!

Welcome to the new world. RIP sweet AMD x4. You will be missed.

No new GPUs for a long time.

Stubo

Would it be workable (I know it's far from ideal) to put my old RAM in a friend's PC as an upgrade?

They're currently running 2x4Gb 1600Mhz (1.5v), I have 2x4Gb 1600Mhz (1.65v), both Kingston branded.

I was thinking I could set everything to 1333Mhz at 1.5v because that was always fine on the 1.65v sticks? Or is this just asking for trouble because they're mismatched pairs?

Edit: The kits are KHX1600C9D3P1K2/8G and KHX1600C9D3X2K2/8GX if this helps.

Maniac

Banned
Technically speaking, the 80 plus bronze-silver-gold-platinum thing is just a level of efficiency that the power supply has been certified to work at. Yes, usually companies do tend to offer higher quality power supplies at higher efficiency levels, but it's not unheard of for "only" 80 Plus or bronze level PSUs to be good quality (relative to their price).

The Corsair CX750M is actually one of the lower end PSUs that Corsair offers. It's not awful, just average and probably fine for most users, just not up there with some of the better built power supplies. We usually try to avoid recommending it around here because there are usually better models for the price (at least in North America). In this case it is one of the lower priced 750 watt models available in your region, so it's an option. If you prefer Corsair support, then feel free to go with Corsair as I have no idea what presence or level of support these companies offer in your country.
Hm, well then... Which of the PSUs you linked would you recommend the most? I would be able to flex the budget a bit if there are some better ones you think might be good. Either way, I'd love to hear which one you'd recommend the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom