• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

otakuderek

I'd stick with Crucial/Samsung (not 840 EVO) and there's another brand like BX100 with same controlled, but can't remember what it is.
Low Profile is just without giant heatsinks. All memory is lifetime warranty so just get 1.5V/1866Mhz+ in what color you like

Thanks! I'll look into those.

Gambit61

wisdom_of_the_ancients.png

I love this one. This has happened to a friend and I a few times.

antonz

Newegg can be so damned slow shipping things sometimes. never understand how it can take them several days to get something out the door when its in stock.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Newegg can be so damned slow shipping things sometimes. never understand how it can take them several days to get something out the door when its in stock.
I buy everything from Amazon because they are better. Newegg only if they don't carry it.

antonz

I buy everything from Amazon because they are better. Newegg only if they don't carry it.

Yeah I had to get the item through Newegg as amazon was out of stock. Newegg did save me tax as well but I mean there is no excuse to take 2-3 days to ship something. Especially when you went with fast shipping in the first place which sort of indicates you want it sooner than later

reKon

Banned
I'm glad that I bought the R9 280 for $150. I think I'll just be fine with this card for a while because I'm going to be tackling the older games. When VR becomes more popular, in a couple of years, I'm sure I'll be able to grab the next bang for buck performance card at a great price.

Starcraft II was running at well over 100 FPS at 1440P downsampled to 1080P screen on on ultra everything.

Downsampled Portal 2 was also very sexy. I can't wait to get Dolphin set up in this thing.

The card idles at 28c and can't hear the fans (got the sapphire version). My CPU temps are actually higher idles 30c - 38c degrees.

I'm using the Silverstone ML07b small form factor case. It was my first build ever, so kind of challenging for a case with shitty instructions, but everything worked out!

Swig_

Is there a list of websites that offer deals on PC hardware? I know of a few, like Dealzon, but I'm looking for more. I'm going to build a new machine when Skylake is released and I'd like to start looking for parts now. Specifically, a video card (hoping for a 980).

Any suggestions would be great!

Redhood

Hello PCGaf.

Been thinking for an upgrade.

My Current Specs are:
i7; 2600k
8gb ram
GTX 570
PSU 500W
Monitor is 1920X1080 and will not be upgrading it.
NO Overclocking

I am eyeing a GTX970. I think the performance levels should be enough for my requirement. Is the processor enough or should I be looking at upgrading it too?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hello PCGaf.

Been thinking for an upgrade.

My Current Specs are:
i7; 2600k
8gb ram
GTX 570
PSU 500W
Monitor is 1920X1080 and will not be upgrading it.
NO Overclocking

I am eyeing a GTX970. I think the performance levels should be enough for my requirement. Is the processor enough or should I be looking at upgrading it too?
CPU will last until 2019 at this rate...
970 is a great buy until HBM2 cards in a year (It's what I'm going to).
If you are going to stay at 1080p you can look at a used 780Ti I'm selling for $240
smile.gif

Psykotik

hey guys, i'm pretty new to pc gaming and i'm hoping to get some views on my current setup. i have a dell xps 8700 that i've been upgrading here and there, specs below:

i7 4790 @ 3.60Ghz
intel z87 (lynx point) mobo
gigabyte gtx 980ti g1 (factory oc mode via oc guru II)
16gb kingston hyper x fury 1866Mhz DDR3 ram
800w coolermaster silent pro gold psu
stock no name fans that came with the xps 8700

dell u3415w 21:9 monitor

kingston v300 ssd for the os (windows 8.1)
wd black hdd for games

here's my firestrike score:

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5471684

is there anything that i can upgrade further that can improve the score? the CPU maybe? or is this already a solid combo in terms of specs?

the only thing that i can't upgrade: the mobo. as i'd have to buy a whole new pc case to go with it, which i don't want to. (this was originally a prebuilt pc, i know i know, i should've just built one from scratch but i didn't think things through at the time)

also, gaming wise, i've been maxing out all settings in all my games and running them in 3440x1440 wherever possible. at that resolution, what AA settings should i use? do i even need to use AA? or should i just max out whatever AA settings that are available regardless?

hey guys, i'm pretty new to pc gaming and i'm hoping to get some views on my current setup. i have a dell xps 8700 that i've been upgrading here and there, specs below:

i7 4790 @ 3.60Ghz
intel z87 (lynx point) mobo
gigabyte gtx 980ti g1 (factory oc mode via oc guru II)
16gb kingston hyper x fury 1866Mhz DDR3 ram
800w coolermaster silent pro gold psu
stock no name fans that came with the xps 8700

dell u3415w 21:9 monitor

kingston v300 ssd for the os (windows 8.1)
wd black hdd for games

here's my firestrike score:

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5471684

is there anything that i can upgrade further that can improve the score? the CPU maybe? or is this already a solid combo in terms of specs?

the only thing that i can't upgrade: the mobo. as i'd have to buy a whole new pc case to go with it, which i don't want to. (this was originally a prebuilt pc, i know i know, i should've just built one from scratch but i didn't think things through at the time)

also, gaming wise, i've been maxing out all settings in all my games and running them in 3440x1440 wherever possible. at that resolution, what AA settings should i use? do i even need to use AA? or should i just max out whatever AA settings that are available regardless?

This is already a very solid combination. The only upgrade you can do to up the score is an overclockable CPU and overclock it. But that is a waste as the 4790 is already very good.

Replace that Kingston SSD if you have the extra cash, Kingston used shit NAND for it and it sucks ass.

Regarding game settings, it all depends on your perceived visual quality, if you still see aliasing then up the settings, otherwise not. Different people have different sensitivity to such things, do what you like best, no need to have the maxing out mindset.

Vuze

PC GAF, I hope for your assistance regarding cooling once more.
I've noticed some incredibly distracting fan noise coming from the case over the past few days that starts for apparently no reason after I boot up Windows and let it run for 10min or so. The temps are perfectly fine all around and there is no increment that should cause the fan in question to spin up.

I did some troubleshooting and I'm 100% positive it's not one of my CPU fans (they sit at a steady 1300RPM / 900RPM) and it definitely is not the GPU fan (zero fan activity until 60 degrees).

So it's either the stock case fan I use or the PSU fan. According to HWMonitor and Speedfan, the stock case fan (120mm, 3pin) is constantly fluctuating between 1000 and 2000 RPM for no obvious reason, so I hope this is the culprit.

I don't think there is any way to measure the fan speed of the PSU since it's 'stand-alone', right? Tried to determine what's causing the noise by listening to the components when running with an opened case, but I couldn't do it, dunno.

Any ideas what to do? Tried regulating the speed in the BIOS, but I guess it doesn't work since it's a 3pin fan. Personal recommendations for a silent 120mm fan?

Audioboxer

How is the fractal design define r5 case? Decent upgrade from a p180?

lol the talk about cases above has me stretching my budget :p

Picked up this case, got it for £71. It's really nice. Height wise, a fraction smaller than my P180, but it's more spacious inside and better laid out. Just waiting on my mobo and chip arriving, due later today. Not sure if my memory will arrive today but I can use my old memory in the meantime if not.

Daffy Duck

Holy shit, choosing a new monitor to buy two of is an absolute minefield of connections, response times, refresh rates and so on and so on.

I thought I had decided on the Asus MX239H but then I realised it only has 1 HDMI port and no DP's so making a multi screen display difficult with cards that only have 1 HDMI port and then a load of other ports.

So I then thought I'd look for monitors with DP's and I was lead to the Dell U2412M which has HDMI and DP but a woeful (from what I read) response time of 8MS....

I was looking to spend somewhere around £160 per monitor, and my primary use would be coding and PS work with some gaming (possibly on one monitor) and I was only looking ay 1080p max screens due to being happy at that resolution even if I upped my GFX from a 960 to a 980ti.

Can anyone offer any pointers on what I should be doing here? I'ved toyed with one large 27"+ monitor for the cost of 2 23" monitors but I would prefer two screens just because it's what I like now.

b0bbyJ03

I plan on upgrading to Windows 10 next month and just wondering if the windows 8 drivers are typically compatible. I just looked up drivers for my mobo and they currently only go up to 8.1 (IDK if they plan to release Windows 10 drivers).

kyIe

Neo Member
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes. I have an HDMI-compatible monitor and am currently using an HDMI cord. I recently snagged a GTX 980 for a very, very good price (Thanks Office Depot) and began looking into a DisplayPort setup.

My question is this: If I buy an HDMI to DisplayPort adapter (i.e. from Monoprice), will it send a DisplayPort signal to my monitor? In other words, will I reap the benefits of a DisplayPort connection? Or will it just be converting the DisplayPort input to an HDMI signal for my monitor?

Thanks in advance and my apologies if this is the wrong place to post this.

b0bbyJ03

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes. I have an HDMI-compatible monitor and am currently using an HDMI cord. I recently snagged a GTX 980 for a very, very good price (Thanks Office Depot) and began looking into a DisplayPort setup.

My question is this: If I buy an HDMI to DisplayPort adapter (i.e. from Monoprice), will it send a DisplayPort signal to my monitor? In other words, will I reap the benefits of a DisplayPort connection? Or will it just be converting the DisplayPort input to an HDMI signal for my monitor?

Thanks in advance and my apologies if this is the wrong place to post this.

you will not. HDMI is limited to its own restrictions. For example, unless your monitor has HDMI 2.2 you wont be able to get 4K 60 fps (only 4K 30fps). so even tho DP can handle it, the HDMI port wont be able to.

Anyone have a link to an article or something that explains boost clock speeds with a GTX 970? I start getting artifacts in Witcher 3, alt-tab out, and notice the clock is higher than what I would expect. In other games it doesn't upclock as much, so I take it that it's variable, and based on gpu utilization?

I haven't noticed artifacts in other games, so it's not a big deal to just make a W3 profile, but I'm curious to see a table or something showing what it actually does.

LilJoka

Anyone have a link to an article or something that explains boost clock speeds with a GTX 970? I start getting artifacts in Witcher 3, alt-tab out, and notice the clock is higher than what I would expect. In other games it doesn't upclock as much, so I take it that it's variable, and based on gpu utilization?

I haven't noticed artifacts in other games, so it's not a big deal to just make a W3 profile, but I'm curious to see a table or something showing what it actually does.

You can view the GPU BIOS to get the clock table with Maxwell BIOS Tweaker. How it actually works, has a mind of its own from what ive found, and my experience is the same as yours.
I get a small green artifact/sparkle sometimes, but im not bothered.

Think its based on utilization, temperature, power consumption. You could try changing the power limit a little to see how it effects.

kyIe

Neo Member
you will not. HDMI is limited to its own restrictions. For example, unless your monitor has HDMI 2.2 you wont be able to get 4K 60 fps (only 4K 30fps). so even tho DP can handle it, the HDMI port wont be able to.

Damn, I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. Thanks for the reply.

You can view the GPU BIOS to get the clock table with Maxwell BIOS Tweaker. How it actually works, has a mind of its own from what ive found, and my experience is the same as yours.
I get a small green artifact/sparkle sometimes, but im not bothered.

Think its based on utilization, temperature, power consumption. You could try changing the power limit a little to see how it effects.

Thanks, I'll check that out. I start getting red spots in the upper left of the screen in W3 when it tries clocking close to 1500mhz. Boost seems so damn random. Runs perfect without even overclocking, so it's no big deal.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Holy shit, choosing a new monitor to buy two of is an absolute minefield of connections, response times, refresh rates and so on and so on.

I thought I had decided on the Asus MX239H but then I realised it only has 1 HDMI port and no DP's so making a multi screen display difficult with cards that only have 1 HDMI port and then a load of other ports.

So I then thought I'd look for monitors with DP's and I was lead to the Dell U2412M which has HDMI and DP but a woeful (from what I read) response time of 8MS....

I was looking to spend somewhere around £160 per monitor, and my primary use would be coding and PS work with some gaming (possibly on one monitor) and I was only looking ay 1080p max screens due to being happy at that resolution even if I upped my GFX from a 960 to a 980ti.

Can anyone offer any pointers on what I should be doing here? I'ved toyed with one large 27"+ monitor for the cost of 2 23" monitors but I would prefer two screens just because it's what I like now.

I have a 27" benq 2760HM. 1080p with a VA panel so would be good for photo work. Has HDMI, DVI and VGA inputs,mane even little speakers so is handy to hook a console up to. I'm selling it as I moved to a 21:9 1440p monitor. I'm in the UK and looking for around £90 if you're interested? Boxed, 6 months old.

cackhyena

So if I have the choice between a DVI cable and HDMI to hook up to my monitor, are they basically the same thing? Or is HDMI preferred?

cackhyena

Alright, guess I'll just keep DVI. I just notice more and more the jaggies on everything with this 1080p monitor. Hearthstone, logos, folders on my desktop. I guess because it's as big as it is at 27 inches? I'm that close and just must notice every little flaw.

Montone

Neo Member
My current PC:

**CPU** | [Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor]
**Motherboard** | [Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard]
**Memory** | [Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory]
**Storage** | [Western Digital WD Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive]
**Video Card** | [Asus GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB Video Card]
**Case** | [Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case]
**Power Supply** | [Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply]
**Operating System** | [Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM (64-bit)]
**Monitor** | [Asus VS228H-P 21.5" Monitor](

The only thing I need to change is the GPU, as you guys have mentioned, but I'm torn between the R9 Fury, the 980, or just spending the money on the 980ti (it's pretty damn expensive and I'd like to avoid that). I think I'm willing to spend around $500-600, and I'm just not sure which to pick.

So which is it, 980, 980ti, R9 Fury, or like a 970?

Also, will those full sized cards fit in my tiny Cooler Master Elite?

Thanks again!

b0bbyJ03

My current PC:

**CPU** | [Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor]
**Motherboard** | [Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard]
**Memory** | [Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory]
**Video Card** | [Asus GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB Video Card]
**Case** | [Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case]
**Power Supply** | [Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply]
**Operating System** | [Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM (64-bit)]
**Monitor** | [Asus VS228H-P 21.5" Monitor](

The only thing I need to change is the GPU, as you guys have mentioned, but I'm torn between the R9 Fury, the 980, or just spending the money on the 980ti (it's pretty damn expensive and I'd like to avoid that). I think I'm willing to spend around $500-600, and I'm just not sure which to pick.

So which is it, 980, 980ti, R9 Fury, or like a 970?

Also, will those full sized cards fit in my tiny Cooler Master Elite?

Thanks again!

970 will pretty much play anything current at 1080p/60 at ultra or very close to ultra settings. Unless you plan on either playing at very high resolutions/frame rates or absolutely need to have all the bells and whistles there is no reason to spend the extra money on any of those other cards. I personally prefer the bells and whistles so I bought a 980 last year. As long as you know that you're not getting much extra performance with the top tier cards but have to pay a lot more and you're okay with that, I say go for it. you only live once.

Jzero

The Sapphire R9 Fury is finally up on Amazon so i pulled the trigger. I wanted the ASUS Strix version but i didn't want to wait anymore :p

Hopefully it makes a huge difference with my FreeSync monitor compared to my 760.

fulsome

Hi there,

Awesome thread and thanks to all who contribute! I was hoping that someone could give me some idea of what I should look for in a new PC. I bought this PC back when StarCraft 2 came out and it is has worked fine. Nowadays, I can't quite get it to run some newer games that I bought on Steam without it struggling (Hitman Absolution is my last one I got before I stopped).

Thoughts on what I can do to make it better or should I just get a new PC at this point? I noticed that occasionally the PC won't boot, when I looked up the reason, some say it may have to do with the power supply. The fans come on, but there is no beep sound, the LED that shows the computer doesn't come on either.

Anyways, here are the specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.80 GHz)
4 GB RAM
1TD HD
ATI Radeon HD 5970

Thanks! I'm from Canada BTW if you are pricing it out. Ideally I would like to spend around $1,000 with Windows OS. For my new PC, I'd like something a bit quieter (my machine is pretty loud just surfing the web). I have no issues with building a machine from scratch.

Arkanius

The Sapphire R9 Fury is finally up on Amazon so i pulled the trigger. I wanted the ASUS Strix version but i didn't want to wait anymore :p

Hopefully it makes a huge difference with my FreeSync monitor compared to my 760.

I will love the Sapphire
That silence bro

VanWinkle

The PC I'm getting has an A10-7850k. I'm new to computer building (I mean, I have an IT degree but I haven't actually built PCs outside of labs in a couple of early classes.

I have all of the components except for the A10. I got excited since the case was the last thing I got and went ahead and put everything together except for the APU. So literally all I have to do is insert the APU, stock heatsink, and plug it in. That's okay, right? Like, I watched a bunch of builds and they always did the APU or CPU first, but the order doesn't matter since I don't have it plugged in anyway, right?

Another thing I want to know, though, is, can I overclock the APU even with the stock heatsink? Adding to that, if I were to buy an aftermarket cooler sometime a little later, would I have to remove the motherboard from the case, or would it have a means to clamp it down without the need to do that?

I'm actually really excited, even though I won't be able to do max setting gaming (except on older games and more simple ones) until I get a dedicated GPU.

Hey guys, I could use some help! Every so often when I wake my pc up, the screen will be flickering and "tiled". Best way I can explain is, what should be in the top left will be in the bottom right, etc.

Scared this is a gpu problem :(

Restarting the pc seems to solve the problem, and so far, it hasn't started doing anything abnormal during normal usage.

I7 4770k
windforce gtx 780
maximus VI hero MB

Thanks!

ElTopo

Banned
I cannot afford a brand new rig right now. Simply cannot. However, I want to see if I can upgrade it to run modern games at low settings at 60FPS.

Current rig:

AMD Athlon II X4 640 3.0GHz 2MB Cache FSB 4000MHz

AMD Heatsink and Fan Included

GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 (AMD 870, 6xSATA2,
4xDDR3)

GB (2GBx2) PC3 10666 DDR3 1333Mhz

1GB ATI Radeon HD5750 GDDR5 PCI-E DVI/HDMI

550watt Stock Supply

I booted up (I don't even know if I can say the name of the game without getting moderated)
Hatred
and turned the settings down to the lowest possible level and even capped it at 30FPS and I was still getting about 20FPS.

The only thing I could think of to boost performance would be a new video card. I doubt going up to 12 gigs of RAM would do much.

Kelsdesu

My build thus far. This is my first attempt at this so please let me know if i have any bottlenecks, and, or flaws. Thank you in advance PCGaf.

Cpu:i5 4690k
HDD: Western Digital 1tb 7200rpm
PSU: Corsair 750w
Video Card: EVGA GeForce gtx 970 Superclocked ACX 2.0
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaw 16gb 2x8
Motherboard: MSI Z97 gaming
Case:phantek full tower case
Cooling:Corsair H55

SLX

Banned
RGM79, LilJoka, and anyone else:

Reseated the Heatsink, here are the temps.

At idle:

PQ5T6kU.png

Under stress after 5 minutes:

DFUOkyL.png

Seems cooler than what I had before?

And what the hell is this?

SiFp2kR.png

I have a 6GB card.

Also why do my desktop icons take so long to load why? I have a Samsung Evo 850 M.2 plugged into the Super M.2 slot on the Z97A mobo.

RGM79

The PC I'm getting has an A10-7850k. I'm new to computer building (I mean, I have an IT degree but I haven't actually built PCs outside of labs in a couple of early classes.

I have all of the components except for the A10. I got excited since the case was the last thing I got and went ahead and put everything together except for the APU. So literally all I have to do is insert the APU, stock heatsink, and plug it in. That's okay, right? Like, I watched a bunch of builds and they always did the APU or CPU first, but the order doesn't matter since I don't have it plugged in anyway, right?

Another thing I want to know, though, is, can I overclock the APU even with the stock heatsink? Adding to that, if I were to buy an aftermarket cooler sometime a little later, would I have to remove the motherboard from the case, or would it have a means to clamp it down without the need to do that?

I'm actually really excited, even though I won't be able to do max setting gaming (except on older games and more simple ones) until I get a dedicated GPU.

Well, it might be easier if you installed the CPU and heatsink onto the motherboard before putting the motherboard into the case, but it's not impossible to do so afterward.

Overclocking usually isn't recommended with stock heatsinks, they're really not that capable of handling extra heat, but it'll depend on how high you overclock, of course. Yes, you can definitely buy an aftermarket cooler in the future and install it later. Whether or not you can install an aftermarket cooler without taking the motherboard out of the case will depend on whether your case has enough openings and access panels. Some cases have a cut out section under the motherboard that will allow you to access the underside so you can install a backplate, which is something that any decent cooler requires. How accessible it will be depends on your case and motherboard, it's not guaranteed that it will line up perfectly as there are hundreds of slightly different cases and dozens upon dozens of slightly different motherboards.

Hey guys, I could use some help! Every so often when I wake my pc up, the screen will be flickering and "tiled". Best way I can explain is, what should be in the top left will be in the bottom right, etc.

Scared this is a gpu problem :(

Restarting the pc seems to solve the problem, and so far, it hasn't started doing anything abnormal during normal usage.

I7 4770k
windforce gtx 780
maximus VI hero MB

Thanks!

And if you wake the PC again, it happens again? Try clearing out your graphics drivers with Display Driver Uninstaller, and then install whatever the latest drivers are available for your GTX 780. Maybe check your video cable and connections, reseat your graphics card? Hard to say what could be causing it.

I cannot afford a brand new rig right now. Simply cannot. However, I want to see if I can upgrade it to run modern games at low settings at 60FPS.

Current rig:

AMD Athlon II X4 640 3.0GHz 2MB Cache FSB 4000MHz

AMD Heatsink and Fan Included

GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 (AMD 870, 6xSATA2,
4xDDR3)

GB (2GBx2) PC3 10666 DDR3 1333Mhz

1GB ATI Radeon HD5750 GDDR5 PCI-E DVI/HDMI

550watt Stock Supply

I booted up (I don't even know if I can say the name of the game without getting moderated)
Hatred
and turned the settings down to the lowest possible level and even capped it at 30FPS and I was still getting about 20FPS.

The only thing I could think of to boost performance would be a new video card. I doubt going up to 12 gigs of RAM would do much.

Unfortunately, your PC is kinda dated and well.. anemic. You could do with a whole new PC, honestly. Because that's not an option, can you tell us how much you're willing to spend on upgrades? I'd look at getting a new graphics card and an aftermarket CPU cooler so you can overclock your processor and get a little more performance out of it.

My build thus far. This is my first attempt at this so please let me know if i have any bottlenecks, and, or flaws. Thank you in advance PCGaf.

Cpu:i5 4690k
HDD: Western Digital 1tb 7200rpm
PSU: Corsair 750w
Video Card: EVGA GeForce gtx 970 Superclocked ACX 2.0
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaw 16gb 2x8
Motherboard: MSI Z97 gaming
Case:phantek full tower case
Cooling:Corsair H55

Where are you buying the parts? What are you paying for them?

For example, (not to talk down to you) but I don't know what motherboard you're talking about, MSI has around a dozen different models all named "Z97 Gaming". I don't know what speed or model of RAM you're referring to. Corsair has a bunch of different 750 watt power supplies. Western Digital offers at least 3~4 different 1TB hard drives in different categories for different purposes. Also, Phantek offers more than one full tower case, but I think you must mean the Enthoo Pro because it's the one we recommend in the OP.

It's easier if you could use PCPartPicker or something similar to show us exactly what you're looking at, then I could go over your list and er, minmax the build for best cost and performance.

VanWinkle

Well, it might be easier if you installed the CPU and heatsink onto the motherboard before putting the motherboard into the case, but it's not impossible to do so afterward.

Overclocking usually isn't recommended with stock heatsinks, they're really not that capable of handling extra heat, but it'll depend on how high you overclock, of course. Yes, you can definitely buy an aftermarket cooler in the future and install it later. Whether or not you can install an aftermarket cooler without taking the motherboard out of the case will depend on whether your case has enough openings and access panels. Some cases have a cut out section under the motherboard that will allow you to access the underside so you can install a backplate, which is something that any decent cooler requires. How accessible it will be depends on your case and motherboard, it's not guaranteed that it will line up perfectly as there are hundreds of slightly different cases and dozens upon dozens of slightly different motherboards.

Thanks for the info. Now that you mention it, the case I bought does have a panel cut out for the back of the motherboard in the area where the APU goes. Should make it easier. And I know I probably should have waited until I got the APU before I put everything together, but I got too excited.

RGM79

RGM79, LilJoka, and anyone else:

Reseated the Heatsink, here are the temps.

At idle:

PQ5T6kU.png

Under stress after 5 minutes:

DFUOkyL.png

Seems cooler than what I had before?

And what the hell is this?

SiFp2kR.png

I have a 6GB card.

Also why do my desktop icons take so long to load why? I have a Samsung Evo 850 M.2 plugged into the Super M.2 slot on the Z97A mobo.

If I'm reading the graph right, your CPU is a bit less warm, but only slightly? I still think it's kinda high.. Are you still getting BSODs? Do you have the low noise adaptors fitted on your Noctua heatsink? Hmm, maybe you should look at another program to see if it's properly reporting how hot your CPU gets. Try HWMonitor?

I think the program might just be reporting incorrectly how much VRAM you have, I doubt your graphics card actually only has 4GB of VRAM. Try GPU-Z, it should properly detect your graphics card and report the correct amount of RAM.

Dunno why your 850 Evo M.2 is slow. What size is it, 120GB? If I remember correctly, smaller SSDs sometimes perform worse than larger sizes of the same model due to the size of the memory chips they use and how they're configured (e.g., 120GB 850 Evo is a bit inferior to 250GB 850 Evo).

Thanks for the info. Now that you mention it, the case I bought does have a panel cut out for the back of the motherboard in the area where the APU goes. Should make it easier. And I know I probably should have waited until I got the APU before I put everything together, but I got too excited.

No worries, I think the APU heatsinks use a hook and latch system so you don't really need to access the underside of your motherboard if you'll just be using the stock heatsink for now.

SLX

Banned
Dunno why your 850 Evo M.2 is slow. What size is it, 120GB? If I remember correctly, smaller SSDs sometimes perform worse than larger sizes of the same model due to the size of the memory chips they use and how they're configured (e.g., 120GB 850 Evo is a bit inferior to 250GB 850 Evo).

It's 250GB.

Ok I'll run the other programs and let you know the temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom