• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Educate me on the value of system ram when it comes to gaming.

If I get a gpu that has 2GB vram, and the game I play starts using 3.5gb vran...does it go into system memory to cover the missing 1-2 gb vram?

Like GTAV or Shadows of Mordor. Or even Arena Commander.

I'm asking because I'm thinking that moving forward 8 gb of system RAM may not be enough if I'm running a graphic card with 2gb vram.

Or, do the two types of memory never work together?

Holy shit!

Welcome to the new world. RIP sweet AMD x4. You will be missed.

No new GPUs for a long time.

It was an amd x3 lol, not even a x4 (720 be = 940BE with one core disabled)
And no it will not be missed, my cpu went firmly into toaster/potato category over the past 2 years:p

I was playing trove and someone ingame said they only had 30 fps (the same as me) and that they were playing on a frigging microsoft surface...
That was the very moment I knew it was time. My cpu is no better than a glorified tablet now apparently.

I'm not sure what to get for a GPU then :(
My GPU budget is about 300-400 euros but I don't really want to support the false advertising gtx 970.
I'll try it with my old hd6870 for a while, I don't care about graphics anyway as long as I can get a good framerate (which I couldn't anymore because of the cpu bottleneck)
Maybe I'll try to find a second hand gtx670 or something to tide me over till the new nvidia gpus are out.

What's the best ~$200 video card these days? Seems like it's between the GTX 960 and the R9 380, both of which have been panned for various reasons. 960 not enough memory bandwidth, 380 just a redesign of a 3 year old card. Thoughts?

I only need 1080p, and pairing it with an i5 w/12GB RAM (overkill I know, but I have RAM to spare).

RGM79

Hm, well then... Which of the PSUs you linked would you recommend the most? I would be able to flex the budget a bit if there are some better ones you think might be good. Either way, I'd love to hear which one you'd recommend the most.

I think I'd pick the XFX models. XFX is pretty safe when it comes to power supplies as they have a great record because all of their power supplies are made by Seasonic, one of the best PSU manufacturers.

Would it be workable (I know it's far from ideal) to put my old RAM in a friend's PC as an upgrade?

They're currently running 2x4Gb 1600Mhz (1.5v), I have 2x4Gb 1600Mhz (1.65v), both Kingston branded.

I was thinking I could set everything to 1333Mhz at 1.5v because that was always fine on the 1.65v sticks? Or is this just asking for trouble because they're mismatched pairs?

Edit: The kits are KHX1600C9D3P1K2/8G and KHX1600C9D3X2K2/8GX if this helps.

I think it should be fine, as long as the motherboard settings work out.

Two quick questions:

Got a great deal on a used G1 Gigabyte 970 (I hear this is one of the better ones). Does anyone know Gigabytes warranty policy? It seems like it's based upon the serial number of the GPU, so if something goes wrong while it's still under warranty it shouldn't matter that I didn't personally buy it.

Also, I'm selling my friend my 3 month old r9 290 to pay for the bulk of the 970. He's building a new PC using the parts I recommended him (here: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cZwB6h ). A 600w CPU is fine with this setup minus a 970 and with a 290, correct? Even with some CPU overclocking? I had the r9 290 in my setup with an oc'd 2500K on 620w, so I imagine this isn't a issue, but I just want to make totally sure before he orders any parts.

I am pretty sure Gigabyte goes by serial number and not registration or proof of ownership. That's the way it seems to be going from other people's experiences, although maybe you could contact Gigabyte support. Just ask them if they can check the warranty status on the card, and then provide the serial number.

Yes, 600 watts should be sufficient. Did he already make the order? There are better power supplies for $60 (after rebate) if your friend hasn't already bought the parts, though.

Whelp. Today has been awful.

Made the idiotic decision to upgrade my MSI g45 bios through MSI's utility. After resetting both jumpers, no go. Then I pulled the battery out, nothing. Decided to pull the battery out again while pissed and kinda hit one of the jumpers and broke it. >.<

Ordered an Asus pro and windows 7. Should be here tomorrow.

RGM79

What's the best ~$200 video card these days? Seems like it's between the GTX 960 and the R9 380, both of which have been panned for various reasons. 960 not enough memory bandwidth, 380 just a redesign of a 3 year old card. Thoughts?

I only need 1080p, and pairing it with an i5 w/12GB RAM (overkill I know, but I have RAM to spare).

The R9 380 is a rebadge of the R9 285, not the R9 280. The R9 285 was announced/released in August 2014.

Just how much are you thinking of spending exactly? If you're in the US the GTX 960 2GB is the cheaper option as they start at about $170.. but for $200 you can get a R9 380 4GB model whereas the cheapest GTX 960 4GB model is about $210. Performance is actually close enough that you might want to do some research and see how well each card performs in games that are important to you. One of them might have more of an edge.

I'd recommend a card with 4GB VRAM, it'll have a longer useful life and won't feel constrained as much.

Whelp. Today has been awful.

Made the idiotic decision to upgrade my MSI g45 bios through MSI's utility. After resetting both jumpers, no go. Then I pulled the battery out, nothing. Decided to pull the battery out again while pissed and kinda hit one of the jumpers and broke it. >.<

Ordered an Asus pro and windows 7. Should be here tomorrow.

That's why we recommend flashing from a DOS environment or the motherboard's built in flashing utility. Less can go wrong. Something for others to beware and remember for next time, I guess.

The R9 380 is a rebadge of the R9 285, not the R9 280. The R9 285 was announced/released in August 2014.

Just how much are you thinking of spending exactly? If you're in the US the GTX 960 2GB is the cheaper option as they start at about $170.. but for $200 you can get a R9 380 4GB model whereas the cheapest GTX 960 4GB model is about $210. Performance is actually close enough that you might want to do some research and see how well each card performs in games that are important to you. One of them might have more of an edge.

I'd recommend a card with 4GB VRAM, it'll have a longer useful life and won't feel constrained as much.

I am in the US. The cheapest I have seen the GTX 960 is $199 for the 2GB, $225 for the 4 GB. And the R9 380 seems to be about the same for each respective model. Regardless, 4GB sounds good.

Just clicked your link to pc parts picker. Very helpful, thank you.

Edit: Those prices on PC Parts Picker aren't right... Says the cheapest GTX 960 4GB is $207, but when I click the link, it's actually $243.

Edit 2: Some of the prices are right. Looks like I have my research cut out for me.

Between the 2, both at 4GB, which would you choose, the GTX 960 or the R9 380?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I just got a used G1 970. Highest clocker ive seen so far.
Warranty is serial based 3 years.

Guy above I have a used 670 for $110 if you want.

I think we might have similar system, my mobo and GPU is MSI though, but the result is similar enough I think!
My original score with the factory OC setting,
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5371894
And this is my latest result so far after some OC haha
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/7784673?

As you can see in this section, you're in the same range as the majority of users with that setup, which means its a normal score.

Thanks. It seems my system is performing as it should.

I was curious because I've been playing Saints Row 4 at 1080p with all settings maxed.

Most of the time it's at 60 fps but when flying across certain areas of the map I've seen my fps drop to as low as 43 which seems really low considering my system.

I've also had some issues with the game freezing. It doesn't lock my system up I just have to use task manager to close it.

Could this be a driver issue? Or an issue with the game itself? Or perhaps my CPU at stock just isn't enough for a constant 60?

LilJoka

Educate me on the value of system ram when it comes to gaming.

If I get a gpu that has 2GB vram, and the game I play starts using 3.5gb vran...does it go into system memory to cover the missing 1-2 gb vram?

Like GTAV or Shadows of Mordor. Or even Arena Commander.

I'm asking because I'm thinking that moving forward 8 gb of system RAM may not be enough if I'm running a graphic card with 2gb vram.

Or, do the two types of memory never work together?

Simple answer, you never want the GPU to use system RAM, your fps will come to a crawl.
So choosing system RAM capacity is not really tied to GPU VRAM capacity. 8GB of system RAM is enough today to run any game.

Maniac

Banned
I think I'd pick the XFX models. XFX is pretty safe when it comes to power supplies as they have a great record because all of their power supplies are made by Seasonic, one of the best PSU manufacturers.

Hmmm... Alright. You wouldn't happen to know of any modular XFX models within, or close to, the same price range? If not I'd probably pick a Corsair model somewhere in the same price range, because I really do love modularity.

... Or the EVGA one... But yeah, if you can't come up with something I'll just have to do some reading :)

ACE 1991

I think it should be fine, as long as the motherboard settings work out.

I am pretty sure Gigabyte goes by serial number and not registration or proof of ownership. That's the way it seems to be going from other people's experiences, although maybe you could contact Gigabyte support. Just ask them if they can check the warranty status on the card, and then provide the serial number.

Yes, 600 watts should be sufficient. Did he already make the order? There are better power supplies for $60 (after rebate) if your friend hasn't already bought the parts, though.

Nope, he hasn't bought anything yet. What do you recommend?

EDIT: How to do limit FPS in nvidia control panel, by the way?

RGM79

Nope, he hasn't bought anything yet. What do you recommend?

EDIT: How to do limit FPS in nvidia control panel, by the way?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($25.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-E ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($45.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0 Video Card ($307.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($46.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM (64-bit) ($86.75 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Acer G246HLAbd 60Hz 24.0" Monitor ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($26.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1097.63
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-24 20:27 EDT-0400

How does that look? Slightly cheaper by a few dollars, but you get a somewhat better motherboard, two sticks of RAM for dual channel mode, a slightly faster GTX 970, and an EVGA 750 watt modular PSU that is higher quality than the Corsair model you were looking at.

I'm not totally sure about limiting framerate on Nvidia cards, but I know Nvidia Inspector is capable of it. Rivatuner Statistics Server (part of MSI Afterburner) can also do it I think, but it's not as well known?

Hmmm... Alright. You wouldn't happen to know of any modular XFX models within, or close to, the same price range? If not I'd probably pick a Corsair model somewhere in the same price range, because I really do love modularity.

... Or the EVGA one... But yeah, if you can't come up with something I'll just have to do some reading :)

Well, I'm just using pricerunner.dk's list of power supplies. You can see there for modular XFX models, the modular models start at 835 kr.

I am in the US. The cheapest I have seen the GTX 960 is $199 for the 2GB, $225 for the 4 GB. And the R9 380 seems to be about the same for each respective model. Regardless, 4GB sounds good.

Just clicked your link to pc parts picker. Very helpful, thank you.

Edit: Those prices on PC Parts Picker aren't right... Says the cheapest GTX 960 4GB is $207, but when I click the link, it's actually $243.

Edit 2: Some of the prices are right. Looks like I have my research cut out for me.

Between the 2, both at 4GB, which would you choose, the GTX 960 or the R9 380?

Sometimes PCPartPicker doesn't index Amazon prices correctly. It happens. PCPartPicker just trolled me half an hour ago.

When I clicked on the link, it said it was $758.

Personally, I think I'd go with whichever one was cheaper. However.. the GTX 960 would come with Metal Gear Solid 5 Phantom Pain, if you're interested.

Your Current Specs:No current pc....my last pc build was 2008 and that pc broke last year.
Budget: between $2000-$2500 (Canada)
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Light Gaming-5, Gaming-5, Emulation (PS2/Wii)-2, Video Editing-1, Streaming games in HD-1,General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback)-5
Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? Are you going to upgrade later? Are you buying a new monitor? Recently bought a 1440p monitor
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Wow,league,any upcoming rpg on steam (fallout 4). I would prefer to game at 60fps+.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Nope
When will you build?: Do you have a deadline? Will be building in about 2 weeks.
Will you be overclocking?: Yes.

This is the current build I have. Not sure about what case to get, looking for one Tha as good airflow and cable management.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($409.95 @ shopRBC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.87 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: MSI Z97A GAMING 6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($199.98 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($119.98 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($105.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.50 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card ($849.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ NCIX)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) ($109.99 @ Memory Express)
Total: $2040.23
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-24 21:15 EDT-0400

RGM79

Your Current Specs:No current pc....my last pc build was 2008 and that pc broke last year.
Budget: between $2000-$2500 (Canada)
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Light Gaming-5, Gaming-5, Emulation (PS2/Wii)-2, Video Editing-1, Streaming games in HD-1,General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback)-5
Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? Are you going to upgrade later? Are you buying a new monitor? Recently bought a 1440p monitor
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Wow,league,any upcoming rpg on steam (fallout 4). I would prefer to game at 60fps+.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Nope
When will you build?: Do you have a deadline? Will be building in about 2 weeks.
Will you be overclocking?: Yes.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($409.95 @ shopRBC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.87 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: MSI Z97A GAMING 6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($199.98 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($119.98 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($105.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.50 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card ($849.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ NCIX)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) ($109.99 @ Memory Express)
Total: $2040.23
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-24 21:15 EDT-0400

If you're planning to build in two weeks, how about waiting for Intel's new Skylake processors and Z170 motherboards due in August? $2000~2500 is more than enough to build a very strong gaming PC around those new parts, even if they'll cost a bit more than existing Haswell processors and Z97 parts.

Kingston V300 SSDs should be avoided for poor performance and Kingston's bad practices with that model. Also, I think an air cooler will be cheaper and more capable than the H80i water cooler.

ACE 1991

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($25.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-E ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($45.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0 Video Card ($307.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($46.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM (64-bit) ($86.75 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Acer G246HLAbd 60Hz 24.0" Monitor ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($26.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1097.63
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-24 20:27 EDT-0400

How does that look? Slightly cheaper by a few dollars, but you get a somewhat better motherboard, two sticks of RAM for dual channel mode, a slightly faster GTX 970, and an EVGA 750 watt modular PSU that is higher quality than the Corsair model you were looking at.

I'm not totally sure about limiting framerate on Nvidia cards, but I know Nvidia Inspector is capable of it. Rivatuner Statistics Server (part of MSI Afterburner) can also do it I think, but it's not as well known?

Great build, thanks! He's buying my old r9 290, so no need to include a GPU in this setup. He'll need a monitor, keyboard and mouse however.

RGM79

Link to best reddit price for win 7 pro?
They all sell for roughly the same price. Here's my usual disclaimer on reddit license keys.

Windows 7/8.1 licenses can be bought from reddit's microsoftsoftwareswap for $20 USD or less. These are most likely legitimate keys that are resold from educational programs like Technet or Dreamspark. However, you are dealing with a person instead of a retailer, and informal Windows keys sales are not approved by Microsoft and probably breaking some licensing agreement, but it's not illegal. The risks involved are that the person could be selling you a fake or used key, or that Microsoft may refuse to give you support and/or deactivate your license and refuse to reactivate it. That's not very likely, usually it only happens if the seller and their list of sold keys was caught. We've had people here using those keys without issues for a long time and others who say Microsoft deactivated their key after several months.

RGM79

What would be the expecting shipping cost for to ship a graphics card shipped in the US?

I don't quite understand your question? From where to where? And isn't this something you should ask the post office or the retailer?

We answer tech questions, but unfortunately I don't think any of us work in the shipping or postal business.

I want to grab Windows 10 next week. I'm not sure what Edition to buy. Home or Pro. Any suggestions or help?

Home should be just fine. Pro just adds business-centric features.

https://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/05/13/introducing-windows-10-editions/
http://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...-editions-heres-how-to-tell-which-is-for-you/

Zatoth

I am thinking of upgrading my monitor.Having a i5 3570K, GTX 970 in my PC.

I was thinking of the BenQ XL2411Z. Would it be worth it to pay the extra fee and take a AOC G2460PG, BenQ XL2420G or Acer Predator XB240HA just for the G-Sync?

So I finally just purchased the last batch of parts that I need!

By Tuesday, I am officially a Master Race !

:p

edit:

will probably regret buying 2 evo with different sizes and one 500gb bx100 ssd, but oh well ! need the space and would've been better if i had matching ones so i can raid ;_;

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $389.99)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Purchased For $139.99)
Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard (Purchased For $269.99)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (Purchased For $164.99)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $99.99)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $161.99)
Storage: Crucial BX100 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $177.99)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card (Purchased For $679.99)
Case: Corsair 780T ATX Full Tower Case (Purchased For $179.99)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $149.99)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-2209 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer (Purchased For $79.99)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) (Purchased For $99.99)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM 158.5 CFM 140mm Fan (Purchased For $29.99)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM 158.5 CFM 140mm Fan (Purchased For $29.99)
Monitor: Acer XB270HU bprz 144Hz 27.0" Monitor (Purchased For $749.99)
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard (Purchased For $129.99)
Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired Optical Mouse (Purchased For $59.43)
Total: $3654.25
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-25 04:38 EDT-0400

I don't quite understand your question? From where to where? And isn't this something you should ask the post office or the retailer?

We answer tech questions, but unfortunately I don't think any of us work in the shipping or postal business.

Sorry. I'm very familiar with this thread. I just thought that perhaps there was someone here that may have had more experience shipping such things. I'll keep my posts strictly on topic in this thread from now on.

LilJoka

So I finally just purchased the last batch of parts that I need!

By Tuesday, I am officially a Master Race !

:p

edit:

will probably regret buying 2 evo with different sizes and one 500gb bx100 ssd, but oh well ! need the space and would've been better if i had matching ones so i can raid ;_;

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $389.99)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Purchased For $139.99)
Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard (Purchased For $269.99)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (Purchased For $164.99)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $99.99)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $161.99)
Storage: Crucial BX100 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $177.99)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card (Purchased For $679.99)
Case: Corsair 780T ATX Full Tower Case (Purchased For $179.99)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $149.99)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-2209 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer (Purchased For $79.99)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) (Purchased For $99.99)
Monitor: Acer XB270HU bprz 144Hz 27.0" Monitor (Purchased For $749.99)
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard (Purchased For $129.99)
Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired Optical Mouse (Purchased For $59.43)
Total: $3654.25
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-25 04:38 EDT-0400

Im super confused about the cooling setup here. What are the intentions?

SLX

Banned
Did you find it? What is it currently set at?

Alright here we go, did these BIOS tweaks this morning:

dx0GlUu.png

CqK6gX7.png

Now when Idle:

VfAa29H.png

Under load using CPU stress test in XTU:

Qr1aMrF.png

WOW what a difference in temps. Anyway I can boost up my CPU to 4.4Ghz as I had it before?

LilJoka

dx0GlUu.png

CqK6gX7.png

Now when Idle:

VfAa29H.png

Qr1aMrF.png

WOW what a difference in temps. Anyway I can boost up my CPU to 4.4Ghz as I had it before?

Yes, now just set the multiplier to 44. The reason why load temps have reduces is that the Vcore under load is now 1.20v not 1.27v as its only pushing 4.2Ghz not 4.4Ghz due to Core Enhancement being disabled. THe baord just is pushing too much Vcore on AUTO voltage.
Watch the Vcore in HWinfo or CPUz. Use programs like Aida64, Realbench to test the stability of the CPU. The usual Vcore for this type of OC is about 1.15v-1.20v.

I can see from your HWinfo that max VID was 1.27v, so likely youll need a negative CPU VCore offset to achieve 1.20v. Or your chip is not so great.

Changed my mind, about to order this:

Arctic Silver 5 Premium Silver 3.5g artnr. 2144
&#8364; 6,95

Be quiet! Pure Rock artnr. 738084
&#8364; 34,90

Corsair Vengeance LP artnr. 425856
&#8364; 58,90

Gigabyte Z97P-D3 artnr. 688194
&#8364; 84,49

Intel Core i5 4690K / 3.5 Ghz artnr. 707630
&#8364; 245,90

Total: &#8364;431,14

My parts just arrived (14 hours after ordering them and on a saturday and from a neighbouring country, I am impressed)

I have some questions as every time I've built a pc in the past it has been with a new hard drive and a fresh windows installation.

-Do I have to reformat my hard drive (reinstall windows), or will windows 7 automatically sort things out for me?
I remember I didn't even have to install my motherboard drivers or sound drivers or anything when I installed windows 7 a few months ago on this new hard drive.
Please tell me my current hard drive and windows install is just plug and play for the new motherboard and cpu and ram, I'm a lazy lazy man and do not want to reformat unless I have to.

-I guess the SHITTY windows DRM is going to moan about the hardware changes and expect me to activate it again?
Do I have to call microsoft for this?

If I do I'm assuming that unlike the PC store I used they do not provide customer service on weekends.
Can I use my windows unactivated (or deactivated since i'm not reformatting if I don't have to) for a few days till I can call MS?

-If I need to call MS what do they want from me to fix the DRM for me to accept the new PC?

-IF I do need to reformat and reactivate windows I'm half tempted to just buy a 250GB SSD and cheap windows 8 key on reddit or something for now (do those still exist?) They had 10 euro windows keys before right?

fake edit : proofreading my post I see i'm already having upgrade fever,
NO stephan BAD,NO wasting money

edit :
I'm an idiot I just remembered I have a C partition for windows and D partition for everything else anyway , I'll just format the windows partition and reinstall windows.

Kabuto

Hi guys; I have two questions about RAM. I have 8GB (2x4) right now and I want to upgrade to 16GB. Is it worth it to get 2x8 or am I okay just putting in another 2x4? Is there a big performance difference between 2x8 and 4x4?

LilJoka

About the 4 fans ? I'm gonna replace all the stock fans from the kraken and put the 4 that i bought ...

I see, but why those ones? Could have got the much quieter lower RPM Noctua fans and saved $50-60. You can probably run these at low speeds too, but im wondering what your plans are with fan speeds?

I see, but why those ones? Could have got the much quieter lower RPM Noctua fans and saved $50-60. You can probably run these at low speeds too, but im wondering what your plans are with fan speeds?
i'll probably run them at lower speeds using the cam software that nzxt has for the kraks but i dunno .. I have no idea right now why i i went with 3000rpm ..any good advice rn that you can give me since i think i'm sticking with them ?

Edit: yo just watch the video of that thing at max rpm LMAO it's like a vacuum ;_;

I guess I need to like set them up immediately with the cam software once i get everything up

Will the fans run 3000pwm at the stock when i start my pc ?

jwhit28

How should I go about shipping a desktop PC overseas? Would the usual packaging the case came in be enough to protect a fully built PC inside?

DoubleH

Neo Member
How should I go about shipping a desktop PC overseas? Would the usual packaging the case came in be enough to protect a fully built PC inside?

I've seen horror pictures of graphics cards and heavy CPU heat sinks that came loose during shipping so you might want to remove/secure those and maybe also the hard drives. Assume your PC will be thrown around during shipping.

SRG01

dx0GlUu.png

CqK6gX7.png

Now when Idle:

VfAa29H.png

Qr1aMrF.png

Yes, you can turn on enhanced turbo to get your all-core 4.4 again. Or as the above poster mentioned, you can change your multiplier to get 4.4 on all cores.

I think some people also turn off regular turbo and change their multiplier to get their OC, but I have no idea what difference that makes.

knitoe

Recently, I went overseas. Took all my peripheral cards out and big cpu cooler out. Pretty much, anything big, easy to take out and packed up. I made sure any loose wires are out of the way and/or tied up so they don't move around damaging stuff. I put the computer case in it's original box inside another padded box. My monitor was fine in it's original box. As for my data, I took the SSDs and HDDs in carry on suitcase. Once all the PC arrived, put it together with no issue.

LilJoka

i'll probably run them at lower speeds using the cam software that nzxt has for the kraks but i dunno .. I have no idea right now why i i went with 3000rpm ..any good advice rn that you can give me since i think i'm sticking with them ?

Edit: yo just watch the video of that thing at max rpm LMAO it's like a vacuum ;_;

I guess I need to like set them up immediately with the cam software once i get everything up

Will the fans run 3000pwm at the stock when i start my pc ?

Well depending on your board and how many PWM controlled fan headers it has, you can
control those from motherboard software.
Most will want a silent PC so around 6-700rpm is sufficient without sacrificing too much airflow. But if you don't have enough PWM headers and are instead voltage controlled, the higher rpm spec fans might not run at low speeds reliably. And I'll just say that your going to gain hardly anything with these fans.

Pachimari

YMMV, you might be better off with the XL110 or whatever that model is. It just depends on what your needs are.

I got a great deal on the BenQ, I wouldn't pay retail price for it though.

If you are used to IPS monitors and going to TN its going to feel like a downgrade. I can sacrifice image quality if that means better input lag and such. Im keeping my UltraSharp for graphic design shit, cause the color accuracy is incredible.

I would say just do as much research as you can. My method on building a PC is to build around the monitor I want, and get the most out of it by the parts I pick for the PC.

If I didn't play CS seriously I wouldn't give a shit. And really I'm not sure how much it really matters in the end, although the tests people do seem somewhat persuasive. Shrugs.

So yeah I spent much more time reviewing monitors than I ever did parts. The computer build itself took 5 minutes, but the monitor search was an agonizing process. I wish the Acer panned out, but oh well. I figure give it a year or two for those issues to be ironed out by the manufacturers then get another IPS for gaming.
I'll research yeah. I think I would notice the difference in image quality but not so much in input lag, but then again, I would like to start Counter-Strike and play other competitive games online.

Right now, I'm on the lookout for a keyboard, because I never got around to buying a new one. I just don't know what kind, if it should be mechanical. I'll probably play a lot of MMO (Final Fantasy XIV) and FPS (Call of Duty, Counter-Strike) and such.

So... Help...

I have an SSD running my OS and an HDD with all my stuff on it. My computer froze yesterday and when I rebooted it hung up on the windows loading screen. I isolated the issue down to my HDD. If I unplug my HDD and just boot my PC with only my SSD it works just fine. So, I've been reading alot of stuff and it seems that their is some corruptness on my HDD. I'm completely fine with wiping my HDD, as I have all my important stuff backed up just fine.

But, how do I wipe an HDD that I can't get to boot past the loading screen? Or any other ideas?

knitoe

So... Help...

I have an SSD running my OS and an HDD with all my stuff on it. My computer froze yesterday and when I rebooted it hung up on the windows loading screen. I isolated the issue down to my HDD. If I unplug my HDD and just boot my PC with only my SSD it works just fine. So, I've been reading alot of stuff and it seems that their is some corruptness on my HDD. I'm completely fine with wiping my HDD, as I have all my important stuff backed up just fine.

But, how do I wipe an HDD that I can't get to boot past the loading screen? Or any other ideas?

Have you tried Safe Mode?

longdi

Banned

CqK6gX7.png

Package C state limit, dont use auto, change that to the lowest available (C6 or C7s) and watch your idle voltage go all the way down. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom