• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGM79

Hey guys I am looking for a used PC, because I can't effort a new one with decent Hardware. Now I have seen this offer for 400-500€

Prozessor Intel Core I7 4790K
Grafikkarte Geforce Gainward Phantom GTX 770 4 GB Speicher
Laufwerk LG Super Multi 24x Brenner
Netzteil Termaltake Hamburg 530 Watt Power
Mainboard Gigabyte Intel Sockel
Festplatte Seagate Baracuda 2 TB 7200 Um
Ram Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1600 Mhz Takt
Gehäuse Sharkoon T9 Grün LED
Lüfter Arctic Cooling Frezzer I30 Intel Sockel

Is this a good deal or should I be skeptical ? It seems too good doesn't it ?

Are you buying this from someone secondhand, or is it from a store? As long as it all checks out, it seems like a great deal.

jrush64

Banned
It doesn't work as in there's no signal? Does the graphics card's fans spin and dragon LED turn on?

If it's dusty, try cleaning out the slot with compressed air or something. If there's dust clogged in there (I doubt it) you could use something like a toothpick to drag around inside to pull out dust, but be careful not to angle the toothpick or damage the internal connectors.

Try reseating the graphics card. When I installed a second GPU in my computer, I put it back together but it wasn't detected, even though I had it screwed down and inserted into the slot. Turns out it was not fully inserted all the way - pressing it down slightly solved the issue.

Otherwise, try resetting the motherboard to default settings.

The fans spin and everything. It's just not detected when turned on. I'll try and reset the motherboard.

jrush64

Banned
Forgot to ask, but I assume you have the power cables plugged in?

Yeah it's connected. I reset the CMOS and motherboard. It's still not detecting. The fans spin.

I looked at the browser on the bios and it shows the PCI slot as empty. I don't know what to do at all.

RGM79

Yeah it's connected. I reset the CMOS and motherboard. It's still not detecting. The fans spin.

I looked at the browser on the bios and it shows the PCI slot as empty. I don't know what to do at all.

Is there an option in your BIOS to initialize the option of PCI-E or onboard/integrated graphics first? It may be called "Init Display First". Try setting it to PCI-E if possible. There may also be another setting to disable onboard graphics. I doubt it'll help, but you might as well try it. If you find that you get no signal after disabling onboard graphics, then reset the BIOS (jumper or coin battery, check your manual) to get integrated graphics working again.

2012-12-14_152216169.mp4_.Still001.png

RGM79

It is from second hand. But he got the receipe and I still have warranty.

Sounds like a great deal. If you can ask and he's willing to show you that it works, try running a game or a CPU and GPU stress test for a few minutes like 3DMark Fire Strike, Unigine Heaven, Furmark, etc. If anything's really wrong with the CPU or GPU, usually it'll do poorly or crash or bluescreen on these tests as soon as it gets up to load for a few minutes.

And of course, look at the hardware. No bulging capacitors, burn marks, etc. I don't expect a recently new computer to have any issues like that, but it doesn't hurt to check.

H4r4kiri

Sounds like a great deal. If you can ask and he's willing to show you that it works, try running a game or a CPU and GPU stress test for a few minutes like 3DMark Fire Strike, Unigine Heaven, Furmark, etc. If anything's really wrong with the CPU or GPU, usually it'll do poorly or crash or bluescreen on these tests as soon as it gets up to load for a few minutes.

And of course, look at the hardware. No bulging capacitors, burn marks, etc. I don't expect a recently new computer to have any issues like that, but it doesn't hurt to check.

Okay thank you. I would look at the hardware of course ;) I am just so sceptical, because the price seems to be too good ;)

Ryde3

Yeah, about the power supply, that is the question after all. If you go with the GTX 970, then get the 750 watt XFX PSU. If you go with the R9 290, then get the 850 watt XFX model.

Low profile RAM is usually recommended, but IIRC with that combination of heatsink and motherboard, only the RAM slot closest to the CPU will be partially blocked. The rules of dual channel RAM placement say that you should install two sticks in the farthest and 3rd farthest slots first, another set of two RAM sticks will go in the remaining slots. Or if you get 2 x 8GB for 16GB total, you'll never have to worry about blocked RAM slots.

As for RAM recommendations, pick one of the following. They're all red and run at more or less high speed, just choose whatever you like the looks of.
Kingston Fury Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 for $80
Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Red 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 for $82
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 for $158
Mushkin Redline 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 for $170

The Gigabyte motherboard should be fine, I actually recommend that exact model to nearly everyone. It has enough features for most users. Don't worry about the RAM voltage, it's a non-issue, especially now that you're looking at different RAM.

Thanks alot man, going with the Kingston Fury RAM (cause I think it looks the best) and I'll be going with the Corsair 750W PSU. Thanks alot for the excellent feedback, helped a bunch. My last concern now is the 970 given the recent discovery about the VRAM, so I'm going to wait it out until I hear more, or if it's actually a dealbreaking problem.

Yudoken

So, I'm gonna be able to buy a headset for maximum 150€ (germany).
I have a rather smaller head and need comfy headphones to be able to enjoy them for longer sessions.
The headset should have a control for volume and headset (at least on/off).
Any recommandtions?

kennah

So, I'm gonna be able to buy a headset for maximum 150€ (germany).
I have a rather smaller head and need comfy headphones to be able to enjoy them for longer sessions.
The headset should have a control for volume and headset (at least on/off).
Any recommandtions?

Most of the Steelseries is pretty nice. I'm very happy with my 7H. You can also check the headset thread for ideas.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417447

Chitown B

Intel's processors have stronger performance for each core, while AMD's FX line has weaker performance but more cores. It will depend on what you're doing with the PC, but we tend to recommend Intel over AMD except when it comes to certain use cases or budgets.

Yeah I think everyone knows Intel is better, but that's also why it cost twice as much. So it just depends on your budget and what you want to do with it. I run an AMD A-10 6800k that I got for about $170 I think. Intel chips run around $320. Plus having to get a new motherboard if I upgraded.

Tommy DJ

Where on earth do you live? A basic Intel i5 can be found for less than $200 in the United States. In fact, the i5-4690K is only $240 right now on Newegg.

Friends don't let friends buy AMD. There isn't any point bothering with AMD at all unless their moderately acceptable integrated graphics is worth more than a graphics card to you. The only use case I can think of is using an APU for a HTPC.

Chitown B

Where on earth do you live? A basic Intel i5 can be found for less than $200 in the United States. In fact, the i5-4690K is only $240 right now on Newegg.

Friends don't let friends buy AMD. There isn't any point bothering with AMD at all unless their moderately acceptable integrated graphics is worth more than a graphics card to you. The only use case I can think of is using an APU for a HTPC.

for instance, from a previous post:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ SuperBiiz)

I'd go for i7 if I was buying Intel, since the 6800k quad core works fine for me for XBMC. I mainly use my HTPC for movies, with occasional gaming. I also have a Sapphire Radeon R9 270x 2GB card.

I'm already in on AMD. If I wanted Intel I'd spend $300 for a card and like $120 for a new mini ITX motherboard. So there's $420-450 right there, just to upgrade.

Tommy DJ

for instance, from a previous post:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ SuperBiiz)

I'd go for i7 if I was buying Intel, since the 6800k quad core works fine for me for XBMC. I mainly use my HTPC for movies, with occasional gaming. I also have a Sapphire Radeon R9 270x 2GB card.

I'm already in on AMD. If I wanted Intel I'd spend $300 for a card and like $120 for a new mini ITX motherboard. So there's $420-450 right there, just to upgrade.

I don't mean to be rude but why are you bringing up the i7? The i5s absolutely demolishes whatever AMD has out on the market, especially if we don't consider their 8 "core" processors. And we're talking about stock frequencies here.

That's a $180 quad core CPU + $80 mITX board.

The reality is that if you're ever planning to pair a discrete GPU with a CPU, Intel is easily the most cost effective option that will bring you the most longevity when you consider how much better Intel processors are in terms of single threaded performance.

I don't doubt you're right. I just don't want to spend $300 right now on something I don't need when AMD works just fine for me for the past two years.

Which is fine but your claim that Intel "costs twice as much" is not correct.

Chitown B

I don't mean to be rude but why are you bringing up the i7? The i5s absolutely demolishes whatever AMD has out on the market, especially if we don't consider their 8 "core" processors. And we're talking about stock frequencies here.

The reality is that if you're ever planning to pair a discrete GPU with a CPU, Intel is easily the most cost effective option that will bring you the most longevity when you consider how much better Intel processors are in terms of single threaded performance.

I don't doubt you're right. I just don't want to spend $300 right now on something I don't need when AMD works just fine for me for the past two years.

Honestly originally my build was to be cheap as possible and still play bluray rips with HD audio to my TV. I wanted an APU all in one, and AMD was the one for it for the cost. Now that I have a 270x I might look into Intel in the future.

So, from another thread.

Right now i'm deciding between 290X and 970. I have i5 3570, 8 gigs of RAM, 3HDD's+1SSD and all that rigged to 650W FSP Aurum.

The question is:
Will RAM issue on 970 be a huge problem?
Will my PSU run 290X without sweat? I'm always a little confused when it comes to power consumption and stuff.

Planning for 2.5 years without upgrading my rig, so Red or Green FOTHEFUTUREEE!?
(nah, srsly, i need to decide something during this weekend because of the crazy 2-day sale in local store)

kennah

So, from another thread.

Right now i'm deciding between 290X and 970. I have i5 3570, 8 gigs of RAM, 3HDD's+1SSD and all that rigged to 650W FSP Aurum.

The question is:
Will RAM issue on 970 be a huge problem?
Will my PSU run 290X without sweat? I'm always a little confused when it comes to power consumptions and stuff.

Planning for 2.5 years without upgrading my rig, so Red or Green FOTHEFUTUREEE!?
(nah, srsly, i need to decide something during this weekend because of the crazy 2-day sale in local store)
RAM issue - no one knows
PSU - I'm not sure it would be ok with a 290.

Trying to decide whether to go with Gog or Steam to purchase all three of the Witcher games. Steam is a little cheaper at 69.99 and I know it's a stable platform that I'm familiar with. However, I've never used Gog so I'm not familiar with the platform. I know CD Projekt runs Gog so I want to support them by buying their games from them directly. I don't mind spending a few extra dollars, but I don't know how fast or reliable Gog is.

What kind of experience have you guys had with Gog? Do big new game releases download from their server quickly?

An R9 290/R9 290X requires 21 amps on the 12v rail it is connected to, as long as your PSU can provide that it should be fine.

Some 500w units will be fine (the really good ones will, anyway), but I'd go for at least 600w.

Zel3

Intel's processors have stronger performance for each core, while AMD's FX line has weaker performance but more cores. It will depend on what you're doing with the PC, but we tend to recommend Intel over AMD except when it comes to certain use cases or budgets.

Usually Intel has stronger performance in games. The old i5 2500K is about 4 years old but it can sometimes still manage a better framerate than FX-8300 series processors, for example. In some multi-threaded applications like video rendering, the FX-8300 series does well and can pull far ahead of contemporary Intel CPUs for the same price.

However, AMD FX processors use the AM3+ socket which is virtually dead. The FX line hasn't seen any new updates in about a year or two aside from low power versions of existing CPUs, and there are no upgrades on the horizon for AM3+ which makes it harder to recommend AMD FX.

You're waiting for the new NVIDIA Titan X?

Either Titan X or 980ti in SLI. It's going to be an amazing jump from a GTX 470.

Most likely you are running dual channel. This, need to use ram sticks in pairs. If you run odd amount, you memory bandwidth will be cut in half. So, best to run them in even numbers.

And, if the ram are different specs, you need to make sure they run at the slowest ram specs in the Bios.

Actually, I believe you can run dual channel with three RAM modules.

Source: Intel's website
LeFI3g0.png

Not sure if that only applies to Intel branded motherboards or other manufacturer's models as well. Worth a try if you don't want to go through the hassle of returning and getting different RAM.

That Samsung ram will overclock to higher speeds than that gskill can handle, just run them all at 1866, there is some difference between dual and single but you probably would never notice the difference.

This is WAY overdue (I got hit with a nasty illness twice after the holidays, so I wasn't in a state to face this stuff), but thank you all for the information, it is very appreciated.

The person who bought the memory also really dragged their feet, so I doubt it can be exchanged now. Should I just go ahead and invest in a second identical 8 GB stick to even things out? And if I do that, will it be okay to leave the Samsung in there, since one would be 2x4, and the new stuff 2x8, and use it all? Or would the different RAM amounts between the two pairs cause problems?

(Original post for reference)

knitoe

This is WAY overdue (I got hit with a nasty illness twice after the holidays, so I wasn't in a state to face this stuff), but thank you all for the information, it is very appreciated.

The person who bought the memory also really dragged their feet, so I doubt it can be exchanged now. Should I just go ahead and invest in a second identical 8 GB stick to even things out? And if I do that, will it be okay to leave the Samsung in there, since one would be 2x4, and the new stuff 2x8, and use it all? Or would the different RAM amounts between the two pairs cause problems?

(Original post for reference)

You can use them all for a total of 24GB. Do the same as picture below. Notice how the different ram size are arranged. Just make sure the ram speed, timing and voltage values are set based on the slowest ram spec.

dualwith4.jpg

Guys, last component I've yet to order is the heatsink.

Is a Corsair H80i liquid cooler (second choice Antec Kuhler 950) good enough for cooling a modestly overclocked i7 5820K? Bearing in mind this will be in a case with good airflow in the Corsair Air 540?

H4r4kiri

Are you buying this from someone secondhand, or is it from a store? As long as it all checks out, it seems like a great deal.

Damn i was dealing with him and asking for information and in this time he sold to another one :( I am very sad now. I have still a couple of systems I am looking at, but they are not as good as this. Sometimes I don't know of it is a good deal or not.

Credo

I'm going to build a new PC sometime in 2015 and have been really itching to do it sometime in the next few months. I've saved money for it for a while, so I'm going to try to get enthusiast or smokey level components listed in the OP. However, I've been out of the loop for a while, so I've no clue how close we are to the next set of Intel CPUs.

Is there supposed to be a new line of CPUs released before the end of the year? If so, then I think I'll try to wait. I don't want to buy an i7-5820K only to have a new line of CPUs come out in the next 3 months after that.

I'm going to build a new PC sometime in 2015 and have been really itching to do it sometime in the next few months. I've saved money for it for a while, so I'm going to try to get enthusiast or smokey level components listed in the OP. However, I've been out of the loop for a while, so I've no clue how close we are to the next set of Intel CPUs.

Is there supposed to be a new line of CPUs released before the end of the year? If so, then I think I'll try to wait. I don't want to buy an i7-5820K only to have a new line of CPUs come out in the next 3 months after that.
There won't be an upgrade for the 5820 for at least a year IIRC.

H4r4kiri

Here are 3 used system I am looking at. GAF please help me , if the price is good and if it would make a good deal. :)

First one for 490€ ( debatable can go lower)

Ram: 12 GB
Mainboard: Gigabyte 990XA-UD3
Prozessor: AMD FX6100 Hexa Core Black Edition mit 3,3 - 3,6 GHz
Harddrive: Samsung EVO 840 SSD mit 120GB,
Graphiccard: Power Color HD7950 mit 3 GB RAM,
Discdrive: LG Bluray Disc Laufwerk mit DVD/CD-Brenner
Powersupply: bequit! leistet 550 Watt

Second one for 600€ ( may go lower)

Graphicscard: 3072 MB AMD Radeon R9 280X, 2x DVI, HDMI, DP
Mainboard: MSI B85M-E45 (Chipsatz: B85/mATX)
Prozessor: Intel Core i5-4690K 4x 3.50 GHz
Case: IN WIN Mana Midi Tower (ATX) ohne Fenster (schwarz)
Cooler: Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev2
Ram: 8192MB DDR3 Single Channel 1600MHz (1x 8GB)
Harddrive: 1000GB SATA III 7200upm
Powersupply: Thermaltake Berlin 630W
Network: WLAN 150 MBit PCIe
Discdrive:22x DVD+-RW Double Layer Brenner Laufwerk
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit SP1 OEM

And the 3rd One for 650 ( may go lower)

•Prozessor: Intel® Core™ i7-4790 Quad-Core der 4. Generation (Haswell) 4C/8T / Taktfrequenz: 3,6 GHz (Turbo 4,0GHz) / L3-Cache: 8MB / 84W
•Motherboard: MSI H81M-S03 mATX
Ram: 8192 MB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM
Harddrive: 120 GB SATA-3 SSD
Harddrive: 1000 GB SATA-3 (7200U/min., 64 MB Cache)
Discdrive: DVD-Brenner
•Graphics: AMD Radeon™ R9 285 Overclocked Grafik, 2GB GDDR5 (2x DVI, HDMI, DP) PCI-Express, AMD Radeon Grafikarten unterstützen (Graphics Core Next Architektur (GCN),DirectX 11, AMD Eyefinity Technologie)
Network: / LAN / WLAN: 10/100/1000 MBit/s LAN on Board / 802.11bgn WLAN bis zu 300MBit/s
Case: Gamingtower Cougar 67M3 (Maße HxBxT 425mm x 198mm x 484mm)
•Powersupply: 450 Watt

The Llama

NZXT 820 vs HaF X, which to buy ?
or should i go bonkers and invest in 900d or cosmos 2.

I use the NZXT 630 and love it. I'd actually recommend it over the 820 (unless you want some of the 820's extra features) because its a bit smaller (but still big).

Chitown B

Main uses for pc will be gaming/streaming. Hoping this will be the last big upgrade for a while, just add components later if needed.
Here is what I'm leaning towards:

Any thought, suggestions would be appreciated. I don't mind spending more for greater performance, especially gaming wise.

I don't know how you're going to get more powerful than that. That's insane.

reKon

Banned
I hope GTX 970's gets discounted somewhat because of all those issues. It's annoying how Nvidia still kind of over charges for their GPUs

jrush64

Banned
Is there an option in your BIOS to initialize the option of PCI-E or onboard/integrated graphics first? It may be called "Init Display First". Try setting it to PCI-E if possible. There may also be another setting to disable onboard graphics. I doubt it'll help, but you might as well try it. If you find that you get no signal after disabling onboard graphics, then reset the BIOS (jumper or coin battery, check your manual) to get integrated graphics working again.

2012-12-14_152216169.mp4_.Still001.png

Yeah I checked it. Mine shows PCI Express 16 as the main graphics card. On the system browser on the BIOS where you can see all that is connected to the motherboard.

The PCI Express 16 slots are all empty even though it's connected. Could that particular slot be bad?

I need to get a new case then.

Tabasco

Anyone know anything I can do to run a full diagnostic of my PC?

I want to figure out what is the source of my problems, with all the BSODs and crashes.

RyuKanSan

Which is fine but your claim that Intel "costs twice as much" is not correct.

See that's what I'm having some Issues with. I was doing some benchmark things and the AMD eight cores seems to be better than the entire i5 line up but is trounced in comparison to the i7 line.

I'm looking to purchase a gaming rig that'll last me at least 3 years max

RGM79

Guys, last component I've yet to order is the heatsink.

Is a Corsair H80i liquid cooler (second choice Antec Kuhler 950) good enough for cooling a modestly overclocked i7 5820K? Bearing in mind this will be in a case with good airflow in the Corsair Air 540?

Is there a reason you want to go with just a 120mm water cooler? According to this, the Noctua NH-D15 with one fan will be better at cooling than the Corsair H80i on maximum fan speed, and probably quieter as well. In the UK, the Corsair H80i (£73) and Noctua NH-D15 (£75) cost about the same.

Here are 3 used system I am looking at. GAF please help me , if the price is good and if it would make a good deal. :)

First one for 490€ ( debatable can go lower)

Ram: 12 GB
Mainboard: Gigabyte 990XA-UD3
Prozessor: AMD FX6100 Hexa Core Black Edition mit 3,3 - 3,6 GHz
Harddrive: Samsung EVO 840 SSD mit 120GB,
Graphiccard: Power Color HD7950 mit 3 GB RAM,
Discdrive: LG Bluray Disc Laufwerk mit DVD/CD-Brenner
Powersupply: bequit! leistet 550 Watt

Second one for 600€ ( may go lower)

Graphicscard: 3072 MB AMD Radeon R9 280X, 2x DVI, HDMI, DP
Mainboard: MSI B85M-E45 (Chipsatz: B85/mATX)
Prozessor: Intel Core i5-4690K 4x 3.50 GHz
Case: IN WIN Mana Midi Tower (ATX) ohne Fenster (schwarz)
Cooler: Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev2
Ram: 8192MB DDR3 Single Channel 1600MHz (1x 8GB)
Harddrive: 1000GB SATA III 7200upm
Powersupply: Thermaltake Berlin 630W
Network: WLAN 150 MBit PCIe
Discdrive:22x DVD+-RW Double Layer Brenner Laufwerk
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit SP1 OEM

And the 3rd One for 650 ( may go lower)

•Prozessor: Intel® Core™ i7-4790 Quad-Core der 4. Generation (Haswell) 4C/8T / Taktfrequenz: 3,6 GHz (Turbo 4,0GHz) / L3-Cache: 8MB / 84W
•Motherboard: MSI H81M-S03 mATX
Ram: 8192 MB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM
Harddrive: 120 GB SATA-3 SSD
Harddrive: 1000 GB SATA-3 (7200U/min., 64 MB Cache)
Discdrive: DVD-Brenner
•Graphics: AMD Radeon™ R9 285 Overclocked Grafik, 2GB GDDR5 (2x DVI, HDMI, DP) PCI-Express, AMD Radeon Grafikarten unterstützen (Graphics Core Next Architektur (GCN),DirectX 11, AMD Eyefinity Technologie)
Network: / LAN / WLAN: 10/100/1000 MBit/s LAN on Board / 802.11bgn WLAN bis zu 300MBit/s
Case: Gamingtower Cougar 67M3 (Maße HxBxT 425mm x 198mm x 484mm)
•Powersupply: 450 Watt

The 600€ model in the middle will be the best for games in general, but 50€ more for a 120GB SSD and 4790K is pretty good, I guess. I'd be wary of what brand and model of power supplies he's offering. Thermaltake is just ok to decent, depending on the model.

Alright, thanks for the response. I just read that the Skylake CPUs are supposed to be out later this year, so I think I'll try to wait until then and hope they don't get delayed.

Well, Skylake is going to be consumer midrange, but cannot overclock. If you don't want to wait and you have the money, X99 is fine to go with now because it's a little under half a year old, the X99 platform has a lot of life left and future upgrades.

Yeah I checked it. Mine shows PCI Express 16 as the main graphics card. On the system browser on the BIOS where you can see all that is connected to the motherboard.

The PCI Express 16 slots are all empty even though it's connected. Could that particular slot be bad?

I need to get a new case then.

How old is the motherboard? I guess you could get a new motherboard..

jrush64

Banned
How old is the motherboard? I guess you could get a new motherboard..

i've had it for a month bought it brand new. The day I got it, i tried that first slot and it didn't work. Only the second slot worked. My case cant accommodate the GTX 970 with the second slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom