• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGM79

See that's what I'm having some Issues with. I was doing some benchmark things and the AMD eight cores seems to be better than the entire i5 line up but is trounced in comparison to the i7 line.

I'm looking to purchase a gaming rig that'll last me at least 3 years max

What game benchmarks are you looking at? I don't know of any games where the 2 year old FX line has always beat Intel i5 processors.

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Metal_Gear_Solid_V_Ground_Zeroes_-test-mgs_proz.jpg
http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-strategy-Sid_Meiers_Civilization_Beyond_Earth-test-civilizationbe_proz.jpg

coh%20proz.png
http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Far_Cry_4-nv-test-fc_proz.jpg

Also.. the i7 4790K won't give you a higher framerate in games most of the time, the only thing it might help with is minimum framerate. The 4790K is just a slightly faster 4690K with hyperthreading.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8227/devils-canyon-review-intel-core-i7-4790k-and-i5-4690k/5
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i7-4790k-i5-4690k_5.html#sect0
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2014/07/03/intel-core-i5-4690k-review/5
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/71265-intel-core-i5-4690k-devils-canyon-22nm-haswell/?page=7

RyuKanSan

What game benchmarks are you looking at? I don't know of any games where the 2 year old FX line has always beat Intel i5 processors. See these benchmarks for recent games.

I was referring to just regular processor specs on a couple sites. But it sounds like a high end i5 could stand the test of time against a i7. Just being cautious. Graphics cards are relatively easy to understand but the CPUs are not my strong suit.

Would getting an i7 be more future proof?

Just saw your edit...well guess I'll see about a i5 then

kennah

There is no such thing as future proof.

There is more to the story than raw specs. Intel processors do more instructions per clock than amd ones.

Six or eight slow cores don't beat four fast cores.

RGM79

I was referring to just regular processor specs on a couple sites. But it sounds like a high end i5 could stand the test of time against a i7. Just being cautious. Graphics cards are relatively easy to understand but the CPUs are not my strong suit.

Would getting an i7 be more future proof?
I changed my post a while back to reflect more tests and benchmarks.

No, the i7 4790K is not more future proof, it has the same performance in games as the i5 4690K. For better future proofing.. you may want to wait until Intel's Skylake line comes out. The current socket 1150/Z97 motherboards are on their way out after 2015, they will be kept alongside but will be eventually replaced by Skylake's socket 1151/Z170 motherboards. Or you could go X99, but that's much more expensive.

i've had it for a month bought it brand new. The day I got it, i tried that first slot and it didn't work. Only the second slot worked. My case cant accommodate the GTX 970 with the second slot.

See if you can RMA the motherboard and get a new case, I guess. There's no reason to not exchange/return a motherboard if it fails to work with your hardware.

Have you tried the graphics card in another PC (friends' computers?), just in case there might be a problem with the graphics card?

RyuKanSan

There is no such thing as future proof.

There is more to the story than raw specs. Intel processors do more instructions per clock than amd ones.

Six or eight slow cores don't beat four fast cores.

The more you know.

Thanks you RGM79. If I could wait that long I would lol. I'm in need of a new rig asap. So if an i5 is great and will last me a couple years than in all for it.

RGM79

The more you know.

Thanks you RGM79. If I could wait that long I would lol. I'm in need of a new rig asap. So if an i5 is great and will last me a couple years than in all for it.

You'll be fine buying now. Although Z97 won't get any new processor upgrades after 2015, the i5 4690K will last you 3-4 years or longer, especially with overclocking.

jrush64

Banned
I changed my post a while back to reflect more tests and benchmarks.

No, the i7 4790K is not more future proof, it has the same performance in games as the i5 4690K. For better future proofing.. you may want to wait until Intel's Skylake line comes out. The current socket 1150/Z97 motherboards are on their way out after 2015, they will be kept alongside but will be eventually replaced by Skylake's socket 1151/Z170 motherboards. Or you could go X99, but that's much more expensive.

See if you can RMA the motherboard and get a new case, I guess. There's no reason to not exchange/return a motherboard if it fails to work with your hardware.

Have you tried the graphics card in another PC (friends' computers?), just in case there might be a problem with the graphics card?

What does RMA mean and how do I do it?

H4r4kiri

The 600€ model in the middle will be the best for games in general, but 50€ more for a 120GB SSD and 4790K is pretty good, I guess. I'd be wary of what brand and model of power supplies he's offering. Thermaltake is just ok to decent, depending on the model.

Thank you very much :) I found out that the second one in the middle is a prebuild one from Hyrican called Hyrican Cougar 4576.

The First one is not good enough for that prize I guess ? ;) Maybe I can get 400€ for this, but still not good isn't it ?

Tabasco

Wow that is a LOT of issues.

The first thing to check would be the RAM. Make a Memtest86+ bootable USB and run that. See if any errors occur.
I ran it through one full test and no errors came up. I did this very recently and a long time ago.

RGM79

What does RMA mean and how do I do it?

RMA is a term that means "return merchandise authorization", it's a term that some computer companies use to basically mean you are returning a product still under warranty for repair or replacement.

You will have to speak with the store that you purchased the motherboard from. It's best if you still have the receipt and boxes, but some retailers keep electronic records of who buys their parts.

Thank you very much :) I found out that the last one is a prebuild one from Hyrican called Hyrican Cougar 4576.

The First one is not good enough for that prize I guess ? ;) Maybe I can get 400€ for this, but still not good isn't it ?

Well, it depends. I am not familiar with Hyrican. You seem to be getting very good deals for this. That secondhand Hyrican only costs about half as much as if it were new from otto.de.

https://www.otto.de/p/hyrican-intel...76-gaming-pc-451188023/#variationId=451188025

If you want to save money then the AMD computer is OK, just not great, it's built with a lot of older generation parts. AMD FX-6300 is a decent budget processor, but is over two years old and AMD does not have any brand new processors planned in the future that will fit in that Gigabyte 990XA-UD3 motherboard, you would be limited to upgrading to FX-8300 series which is also 2 years old and not as good as some Intel i5 processors.

HD 7950 and R9 280X are both 2.5 year old graphics cards (R9 280X is a slight update), they can still be effective, they just don't have newest features. The R9 285 on the other hand is much newer, it was released in September 2014. It is not as strong as the R9 280X but comes with more features and is more efficient.

It'll depend on how much lower you think the price can go down. The second and third PCs are more upgradeable and have stronger basic performance.

RGM79

I'm not sure why the third one doesn't have a bug check string.

I ran it through one full test and no errors came up. I did this very recently and a long time ago.

Someone else posted a few pages back, IIRC ntoskrnl.exe and IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL suggests general hardware issues. PFN_LIST_CORRUPT suggests driver/software (anti-virus)/BIOS issues. MEMORY_MANAGEMENT and PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA suggests memory/RAM issues.

Well.. I'd suggest trying driver updates. Might resolve some of those hardware and driver issues.

_13500

Neo Member
A couple of simple and concrete questions about hardware:

Would the new Corsair Hydro Series H110i GT fit in a BitFenix Phenom M case?

Is this new model a major improve respect to H110 or H105?

Tabasco

What's your full system spec?
When do errors occur? Or is it random?
How long since a fresh install of windows?
Overclocked?
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mX82YJ

BSODs and crashes usually occur when I'm playing games. They can still happen outside of a game, but it is less common.

It has been maybe about a year since I did a fresh install, if I had to guess.

I've done overclocking in the past, but I believe that nothing is overclocked in my PC. I may have done a BIOS reset and I haven't overclocked anything since.

RGM79

A couple of simple and concrete questions about hardware:

Would the new Corsair Hydro Series H110i GT fit in a BitFenix Phenom M case?

Is this new model a major improve respect to H110 or H105?

The Corsair H110i is a 280mm radiator (2 x 140mm fans side by side), it will not fit in the Phenom M as that case only supports 240mm radiators (2 x 120mm side by side).

The H110i is Corsair's new flagship model, meant to be their best. It's basically the H110 280mm radiator combined with the H100i CPU block. You can consider it to be the same thing as the H110 but with added features from the H100i (Corsair link USB software, PWM control) plus better cable sleeving.

There are no reviews for the H110i yet so we don't know exactly what it'll be like, but I guess performance will be on par with the H110 but with better fan control for maybe lower noise, you should be able to set custom fan performance curves.

H4r4kiri

RMA is a term that means "return merchandise authorization", it's a term that some computer companies use to basically mean you are returning a product still under warranty for repair or replacement.

You will have to speak with the store that you purchased the motherboard from. It's best if you still have the receipt and boxes, but some retailers keep electronic records of who buys their parts.

Well, it depends. I am not familiar with Hyrican. You seem to be getting very good deals for this. That secondhand Hyrican only costs about half as much as if it were new from otto.de.

https://www.otto.de/p/hyrican-intel...76-gaming-pc-451188023/#variationId=451188025

If you want to save money then the AMD computer is OK, just not great, it's built with a lot of older generation parts. AMD FX-6300 is a decent budget processor, but is over two years old and AMD does not have any brand new processors planned in the future that will fit in that Gigabyte 990XA-UD3 motherboard, you would be limited to upgrading to FX-8300 series which is also 2 years old and not as good as some Intel i5 processors.

HD 7950 and R9 280X are both 2.5 year old graphics cards (R9 280X is a slight update), they can still be effective, they just don't have newest features. The R9 285 on the other hand is much newer, it was released in September 2014. It is not as strong as the R9 280X but comes with more features and is more efficient.

It'll depend on how much lower you think the price can go down. The second and third PCs are more upgradeable and have stronger basic performance.

The guy offers me 600€ for the last one , the Hyrican. If I would build a Pc like this it would be a lot more I guess, don't you think so ? It also comes with a Mouse and a Gigabyte Keyboard.

LilJoka

BSODs and crashes usually occur when I'm playing games. They can still happen outside of a game, but it is less common.

I've done overclocking in the past, but I believe that nothing is overclocked in my PC. I may have done a BIOS reset and I haven't overclocked anything since.

Ok possibly system file corruption so let's try and check&fix that quickly.

Open an elevated command prompt
Type
sfc /scannow
Hit enter. See if that finds any corrupt files.

RGM79

The guy offers me 600€ for the last one , the Hyrican. If I would build a Pc like this it would be a lot more I guess, don't you think so ? It also comes with a Mouse and a Gigabyte Keyboard.

Yep, it's a decent deal. You're saving around 200-300€. I went with the lowest price I could find, but the price database for Germany isn't very detailed or large.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor (€284.90 @ Caseking)
Motherboard: ASRock H81M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€44.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (€67.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Crucial M550 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€52.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€56.63 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 285 2GB WINDFORCE 2X Video Card (€233.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (€38.01 @ Hardwareversand)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€48.51 @ Hardwareversand)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHDS118-04 DVD/CD Drive (€15.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €842.72
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-25 00:17 CET+0100

_13500

Neo Member
The Corsair H110i is a 280mm radiator (2 x 140mm fans side by side), it will not fit in the Phenom M as that case only supports 240mm radiators (2 x 120mm side by side).

The H110i is Corsair's new flagship model, meant to be their best. It's basically the H110 280mm radiator combined with the H100i CPU block. You can consider it to be the same thing as the H110 but with added features from the H100i (Corsair link USB software, PWM control) plus better cable sleeving.

There are no reviews for the H110i yet so we don't know exactly what it'll be like, but I guess performance will be on par with the H110 but with better fan control for maybe lower noise, you should be able to set custom fan performance curves.

Thank you so much. I am looking for any M-ATX case which fits the H110i GT.

According to H110i GT radiator dimmensions are: 140mm x 322mm x 27mm

Any m-ATX case comes to mind?

H4r4kiri

Yep, it's a decent deal. You're saving around 200-300€. I went with the lowest price I could find, but the price database for Germany isn't very detailed or large.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor (€284.90 @ Caseking)
Motherboard: ASRock H81M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€44.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (€67.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Crucial M550 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€52.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€56.63 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 285 2GB WINDFORCE 2X Video Card (€233.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (€38.01 @ Hardwareversand)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€48.51 @ Hardwareversand)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHDS118-04 DVD/CD Drive (€15.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €842.72
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-25 00:17 CET+0100

Okay then I will ask him, if he still got the receipe and maybe 550€. Than I have too look how it is going to be. Thank you so much for your help. I may consider and contact you again ;)

RGM79

Thank you so much. I am looking for any M-ATX case which fits the H110i GT.

According to H110i GT radiator dimmensions are: 140mm x 322mm x 27mm

Any m-ATX case comes to mind?
Are you sure you want the H110i? You could save some money and just get a 240mm radiator. What CPU are you overclocking with?

knitoe

Is the video card overclock, manually or factory? If YES, downclock it using MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision.

Another possible problem is the Crucial M4 SSD. In the past, I remembering reading that they had issues.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I'm thinking of getting a new monitor, what do you guys find to be the bigger improvement, a higher frame rate or a higher resolution?

Also, on the other end, is there any place with cheap monitors? Something in the range of $50-$80ish.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Can I install Windows 8 from an external hard drive to a brand new machine? If so, how?

I have a free download of it but I don't know if I have to burn to a DVD or if I can use my old external hard drive.

RGM79

Can I install Windows 8 from an external hard drive to a brand new machine? If so, how?

I have a free download of it but I don't know if I have to burn to a DVD or if I can use my old external hard drive.
DVD or USB drive is easiest. External hard drives won't work well due to the fact that they are detected differently than USB drives and won't boot the same way, it'll need special setup.

Fracas

#fuckonami
DVD or USB drive is easiest. External hard drives won't work well due to the fact that they are detected differently than USB drives and won't boot the same way, it'll need special setup.

For a flash drive, is it as easy as just chucking an iso on it?

Any recommendations for wireless network adapters? Running a cable to where the new PC (my room) will be set up seems like a hassle. There'll just be a wall and 10 feet or so between the PC and the router.

Tabasco

Is the video card overclock, manually or factory? If YES, downclock it using MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision.

Another possible problem is the Crucial M4 SSD. In the past, I remembering reading that they had issues.
Before trying anything like that, I would prefer to find some way to run a diagnostic on the entire PC at once, so I can find out exactly what the problem is that way.

knitoe

Before trying anything like that, I would prefer to find some way to run a diagnostic on the entire PC at once, so I can find out exactly what the problem is that way.
Unless it's a prebuilt PC, you aren't going to find anything like that. It's pretty much ruling out hardware one by one.

Tabasco

Unless it's a prebuilt PC, you aren't going to find anything like that. It's pretty much ruling out hardware one by one.
Well, thanks for that info.

I'm just going to assemble a new PC from scratch.

Edit: Since I'm completely out of the PC gaming market now, could anyone be kind enough to help me pick parts for a build? I just want something with bare minimum cost that can run most games at 1080p no problems, 60 fps. I already have a monitor, mouse, keyboard, hard drives (would like a new SSD actually), and OS. I don't care if its AMD, Intel, or Nvidia. As long as it is the best bang for buck, then that would be ideal.

RGM79

Is disabling sleep mode and/or disabling search indexing still good to do for a OS SSD?

Today's midrange SSDs are already at the point that you no longer need to worry about wear and tear. It seems that people still like to do those things because they think it's still it's a useful tweak, but it's not needed. You will probably replace or move the SSD to non-OS storage before it will ever die on you from wearing down.

My own SSD has an estimated life of over 8 years left.
IzKeZOc.jpg

You probably mean hibernation mode, not sleep. People would disable hibernation mode because hibernation mode writes whatever is in the RAM to the OS drive and powers down. The hibernation file also takes up room. If you have a small SSD, disabling hibernation to reclaim a few gigabytes isn't a bad idea.

Any recommendations for wireless network adapters? Running a cable to where the new PC (my room) will be set up seems like a hassle. There'll just be a wall and 10 feet or so between the PC and the router.

I've recommended this $30 Gigabyte wifi adaptor before, it has a nice set of features and long antenna, better than USB wifi adaptors. I also like Linksys and Asus as brands for wifi and networking equipment in general.

Powerline networking can be nice if you don't already have a decent wifi router, or if wireless doesn't prove reliable enough for some reason. It's pretty much just a wired connection that goes through the AC outlets. I've had good success with Trendnet powerline adaptors, I've bought packs of 2 Trendnet "500Mbps" powerline adaptor kits for about $30 CAD, not sure about deals in the US.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Random question, but has anyone used this case? It seems fine to me. I'm not a fan of flashy "gamer" cases.

The one I had originally wanted is out of stock at Amazon.

edit: this one looks nice too. Having a clear panel looks neat, but I dunno how practical it is.

Crisium

So, from another thread.

Right now i'm deciding between 290X and 970. I have i5 3570, 8 gigs of RAM, 3HDD's+1SSD and all that rigged to 650W FSP Aurum.

The question is:
Will RAM issue on 970 be a huge problem?
Will my PSU run 290X without sweat? I'm always a little confused when it comes to power consumption and stuff.

Planning for 2.5 years without upgrading my rig, so Red or Green FOTHEFUTUREEE!?
(nah, srsly, i need to decide something during this weekend because of the crazy 2-day sale in local store)

650W PSU is more than sufficient for a single 290X. But I'd recommend the 290 (non x), it's a good bit cheaper while barely slower. In the current high end arena (290, 970, 290X, 980) the 290 is the leader in performance per dollar. Max OC vs Max OC, it's usually only 5-7% slower than a 970 at 1080p, while a heck of a lot cheaper. As you approach 4k and even 1440p, the 290 actually matches the 970.

Just make sure you get a good cooler, Sapphire Tri X being among the best. Once you have a quality after market cooler, GCN's extra heat doesn't really matter any more, unless you have the worst case ventilation.

I'd only favour the 970 if you have a G Sync Monitor, are interested in 3D Gaming, or Shadowplay streaming. Its performance does not justify the price increase if you are not interested in Nvidia's niche features. For raw performance, in the end you'd be better off pocketing the extra cash than going with the 290x/970 and applying it to your next GPU upgrade in 2.5 years in hopes it matters more than a measly 5% then.

RGM79

Random question, but has anyone used this case? It seems fine to me. I'm not a fan of flashy "gamer" cases.

The one I had originally wanted is out of stock at Amazon.

edit: this one looks nice too. Having a clear panel looks neat, but I dunno how practical it is.

Are you limited to buying Amazon only? Budget of $50? Few cases stand out at that price range.

Not sure about the N400 as it has few reviews, but Overclockers Club generally liked it. I know Tweaktown liked the smaller N200 for having great airflow, so I assume the N400 shouldn't be too bad in that department either, as it comes with two fans and has a similar open mesh front. The 431 Plus from reviews seems to be anywhere from so-so to decent budget case. It and the N400 seem to lack options for cable management, though. No room behind the motherboard tray to hide anything.
Overclockers Club N400 review
Legit Reviews N400 review
Hardware Secrets 431 Plus review

I recommend the NZXT Source 210 Elite, it's $50 at Amazon ($40 elsewhere) and comes generally well-reviewed.
Tweaktown Source 210 Elite review

TechPowerUp Source 210 Elite review
Bit-Tech Source 210 Elite review

The Antec One is also a decent choice. It's $45 at Amazon. More room for cable management than the N400 or 431 Plus, but still not a lot.
Bit-Tech Antec One review

TechPowerUp Antec One review
Hexus Antec One review

650W PSU is more than sufficient for a single 290X. But I'd recommend the 290 (non x), it's a good bit cheaper while barely slower. In the current high end arena (290, 970, 290X, 980) the 290 is the leader in performance per dollar. Max OC vs Max OC, it's usually only 5-7% slower than a 970 at 1080p, while a heck of a lot cheaper. As you approach 4k and even 1440p, the 290 actually matches the 970.

Just make sure you get a good cooler, Sapphire Tri X being among the best. Once you have a quality after market cooler, GCN's extra heat doesn't really matter any more, unless you have the worst case ventilation.

I'd only favour the 970 if you have a G Sync Monitor, are interested in 3D Gaming, or Shadowplay streaming. Its performance does not justify the price increase if you are not interested in Nvidia's niche features. For raw performance, in the end you'd be better off pocketing the extra cash than going with the 290x/970 and applying it to your next GPU upgrade in 2.5 years in hopes it matters more than a measly 5% then.

Very helpful reply. I'll stick with 290 then, thanks! Also i see DirectCU II solution for this card in my store, so that is great. Many thanks!

I've recommended this $30 Gigabyte wifi adaptor before, it has a nice set of features and long antenna, better than USB wifi adaptors. I also like Linksys and Asus as brands for wifi and networking equipment in general.

Powerline networking can be nice if you don't already have a decent wifi router, or if wireless doesn't prove reliable enough for some reason. It's pretty much just a wired connection that goes through the AC outlets. I've had good success with Trendnet powerline adaptors, I've bought packs of 2 Trendnet "500Mbps" powerline adaptor kits for about $30 CAD, not sure about deals in the US.
Thanks. I don't know that much about powerline networking but I'll look into it. I image that the wiring in my house is too old and would dampen performance.

Edit: Maybe it would work for me. Seems too good to be true though.

Seems they have a potentially high security risk. https://www.bentasker.co.uk/documen...g-a-network-via-powerline-homeplugav-adapters

inpired_1ne

Neo Member
Looking for some advice, been reading through the thread and articles online. Also have been watching videos all day on building a pc. I'm looking to build my first gaming computer for me and my son. Looking to build something on a more of a higher end budget as I would like it to last awhile before needing to upgrade. So I don't mind going over kill on parts as long as they are worth it. Looking to build over the next year, we have consoles to play on right now and rather take it slow since this is a new area we are getting into.

Budget wise I've been reading anywhere from 2k to 4k for higher end. this is fine as I will be spreading it out over the year. I know I would like to be able to run games at high setting with high average FPS and minimum resolution of 1080p but able to get 4k(if possible).Also would like to be able to do video capturing. Just need some guidance since this is a first time for me and I don't want to get the wrong things.Any help is appreciated.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Looking for some advice, been reading through the thread and articles online. Also have been watching videos all day on building a pc. I'm looking to build my first gaming computer for me and my son. Looking to build something on a more of a higher end budget as I would like it to last awhile before needing to upgrade. So I don't mind going over kill on parts as long as they are worth it. Looking to build over the next year, we have consoles to play on right now and rather take it slow since this is a new area we are getting into.

Budget wise I've been reading anywhere from 2k to 4k for higher end. this is fine as I will be spreading it out over the year. I know I would like to be able to run games at high setting with high average FPS and minimum resolution of 1080p but able to get 4k(if possible).Also would like to be able to do video capturing. Just need some guidance since this is a first time for me and I don't want to get the wrong things.Any help is appreciated.

USD? It's hard to go above 1k for "high end" unless you really want to spend money on a fancy case and things like motherboards with overclocking buttons and lcd displays.

The thing that ultimately separates high-end from low-end is the video-card. Running 2 or 3 videocards can be complicated, and will increase your trouble-shooting time.

I would recommend reading the op, and getting a high-end i7 chip (i5 is fine if you're looking to save money, but if you're looking to spend, go i7). Get a compatible motherboard. Go with 16 gigs of ram why not (although I'm fine with 8), and get a single GTX980.

That'll come in below 2k for sure.

If you want to break the bank, get a high-end monitor.

Oh, and just go SSD. If you need to do vid capture I guess get a 2TBHDD -but what are you doing, recording the remaster of The Wire?

Goddamn, computer cases cost a lot to ship. :| $15 for the Define R5 at Newegg even with Premier.

It weighs 22.49 lbs so I guess I can't blame them. Maybe I should just go with the Phanteks Pro, a bit cheaper and free shipping.

inpired_1ne

Neo Member
USD? It's hard to go above 1k for "high end" unless you really want to spend money on a fancy case and things like motherboards with overclocking buttons and lcd displays.

The thing that ultimately separates high-end from low-end is the video-card. Running 2 or 3 videocards can be complicated, and will increase your trouble-shooting time.

I would recommend reading the op, and getting a high-end i7 chip (i5 is fine if you're looking to save money, but if you're looking to spend, go i7). Get a compatible motherboard. Go with 16 gigs of ram why not (although I'm fine with 8), and get a single GTX980.

That'll come in below 2k for sure.

If you want to break the bank, get a high-end monitor.

Oh, and just go SSD. If you need to do vid capture I guess get a 2TBHDD -but what are you doing, recording the remaster of The Wire?

Yes USD, I was actually looking at the 980 and the titans on evga site. Wouldn't running an SLI setup get me better results than running a single graphics card.I understand having to troubleshoot would be more complicated,but not impossible. Also was reading up on the i7.

I would run SSD for OS and hdd for storage. atleast thats what i have been reading. I know your trying to be funny about the wire. The video capturing is just something my son said he would like to do, since he watches alot of YouTube channels.

Thanks for the input though.

RGM79

Thanks. I don't know that much about powerline networking but I'll look into it. I image that the wiring in my house is too old and would dampen performance.

Edit: Maybe it would work for me. Seems too good to be true though.

Seems they have a potentially high security risk. https://www.bentasker.co.uk/documen...g-a-network-via-powerline-homeplugav-adapters

Powerline networking still has some security, it just isn't very robust due to not being as popular as wifi. Breaking powerline security requires that the person wanting to break into your network knows you're using powerline networking and has physical access to a local power outlet. How local depends on how the building's power is wired - depending on that factor, your building might have isolated sections that even adaptors in the same building cannot connect to from each other, or on the other extreme someone in the same neighbourhood could even connect to your network from a different building altogether.

If you value your privacy and live in some kind of shared building like a dorm, apartment, or etc, then I suppose it's not for you. On the other hand, WPA2 is not totally secure either, wifi being more popular WPA2 cracking tools are easier to find and use whereas powerline networking isn't seen very often so powerline networking has a degree of security through anonymity.

Does your budget include monitors? Assuming without monitors and US dollars, $1500 is more than enough for a great performing Z97 system with a midrange processor with high end graphics card(s), while $2000-2500 nets you a high end X99 system system with high end processors and graphics cards.

The Z97 will last you 3-4 years, possibly longer. The X99 system can last you up to 6 or more years - we have people here with old X58 systems (precursor to X99) that finally want to upgrade to a completely new PC, and their computers are 6-7 years old.

Ideally, you will want to purchase most of the parts around the same time. Certain things like cases and monitors won't really matter as they don't affect performance or don't really rely on other parts, but all the internal parts such as CPU, GPU, motherboard, RAM, power supply, etc should be purchased at around the same time. You don't want warranty or return periods to run out early and then found out you bought a faulty or defective part months ago that the retailer may not be willing to exchange.

It might be better to wait anyway - there aren't many sales around this time, there are two new Intel desktop processor lines due to come out in September (Broadwell and Skylake, the latter being incompatible with existing motherboards), and I feel that Black Friday and Christmas season provide a nice 2 month shopping period for better than average deals, although there are still good deals throughout the year. You never know when companies may release revised or improved motherboard or graphics card models, either.

A bit off-topic.

HWinfo64 sometime reports my PCH temperature to be extremely high, 169 Celsius (336F) just now.

Everything else normal, I suspect false reading. Thoughts?

Try another program. HWMonitor is what I use.

A bit off-topic.

HWinfo64 sometime reports my PCH temperature to be extremely high, 169 Celsius (336F) just now.

Everything else normal, I suspect false reading. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom