• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGM79

I'm thinking on shrinking down my regular Atx build to something smaller. A micro or mini atx seems fine, preferably Fractal or Bitfenix. What case and board do you guys recommend that would accomodate a 212 evo cooler, a Gtx970, Ssd and a regular 3.5" hard drive?

What processor do you have? Are you looking for something like a mini-tower or a cube style PC?

I think I can recommend these safely. Cooler clearance may vary.

Fractal Design Core 1300 ($35)

Cooler Master N200 ($40)
Antec ISK600 ($40)
Rosewill Neutron ($60)
Bitfenix Prodigy ($69) - comes in both mITX and mATX models (mATX version more expensive at $93)
Corsair 350D ($70)
Fractal Design Node 804 ($70)

Finally got the price I was looking for for my CPU and Motherboard. Got it from NewEgg with the motherboard being 15% off and there being a $25 off offer from using Visa Checkout. Actually glad I wasn't able to purchase yesterday because shipping for both parts dropped from around $7 for everything to just 99 cents. So got everything for $210.97 which is near the $200 to $190 I'd have paid back in November had I not messed around.

So replacing the following (originally purchased in Nov 2010)

AMD Phenom II X4 925 2.8GHz Quad-Core
Asus M4A79XTD EVO ATX AM3

with this

AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core
Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+

I got a lot of use out of that Phenom over a long period of time with various games. The price for performance was good. I'm hoping this last me a long time as well.

Now I just need to replace my GeForce GTX 560 1GB with something else but that's a purchase for around April or May. Curious as to how badly that's going to hurt things combined with the new CPU. Any ideas? Would I be okay? Experience issues? A FX-8320 paired with a GeForce GTX 560?

It's all compatible. Nothing that I can think of that would be a problem.

Repo Man

Planning on buying a GTX 970 tomorrow to finally complete ( well, theres always something else to buy like SSD's etc. ) my build and make my 4 year long dream of having an up to date gaming pc a reality.

Having read lots of reviews on various cards I keep stumbling on the term "coil whine" over and over again and people saying they had to return a card because of it and whatnot so to get a better idea of the issue I ventured into youtube and looked up some videos supposedly highlighting the problem, but for the life of me I could barely hear any anomalies in those videos unless I turned the volume almost all the way up and even then it seemed like faint, irregular buzzing or something.

Anyone here come across this and is it an actual issue or just blown out of proportion ? I suppose these sort of things can be a bit subjective to some extent.

The card I'm currently looking at is this one: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-006-GX&groupid=701&catid=1914&subcat=1010

I'm not 100% dead set on it and I got a bit of play on my budget to go for a slightly pricier ( or cheaper ) card but so far that thing seems a solid bet. Also willing to consider an AMD card if someone can make a good case for them but I get put off a bit by their seemingly higher power consumption.

Reckoner

What processor do you have? Are you looking for something like a mini-tower or a cube style PC?

I think I can recommend these safely. Cooler clearance may vary.

Fractal Design Core 1300 ($35)

Cooler Master N200 ($40)
Antec ISK600 ($40)
Rosewill Neutron ($60)
Bitfenix Prodigy ($69) - comes in both mITX and mATX models (mATX version more expensive at $93)
Corsair 350D ($70)
Fractal Design Node 804 ($70)

It's all compatible. Nothing that I can think of that would be a problem.

I have an i5 4670k Haswell. 1150 socket. What's the best combo?

RGM79

Planning on buying a GTX 970 tomorrow to finally complete ( well, theres always something else to buy like SSD's etc. ) my build and make my 4 year long dream of having an up to date gaming pc a reality.

Having read lots of reviews on various cards I keep stumbling on the term "coil whine" over and over again and people saying they had to return a card because of it and whatnot so to get a better idea of the issue I ventured into youtube and looked up some videos supposedly highlighting the problem, but for the life of me I could barely hear any anomalies in those videos unless I turned the volume almost all the way up and even then it seemed like faint, irregular buzzing or something.

Anyone here come across this and is it an actual issue or just blown out of proportion ? I suppose these sort of things can be a bit subjective to some extent.

The card I'm currently looking at is this one: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-006-GX&groupid=701&catid=1914&subcat=1010

I'm not 100% dead set on it and I got a bit of play on my budget to go for a slightly pricier ( or cheaper ) card but so far that thing seems a solid bet. Also willing to consider an AMD card if someone can make a good case for them but I get put off a bit by their seemingly higher power consumption.
Coil whine is high pitch unwanted noise, sort of like screeching. Some people who are older, have damaged hearing, or just not very sensitive ears might not be able to hear coil whining, so for you it's probably not a big deal. Coil whine doesn't mean the brand new graphic card is damaged or will die, it's just unwanted electrical noise that counts as a defect but doesn't affect the graphics card's performance.

KFA2/Galaxy seems fine, Guru3D liked their GTX 970 very much. It's a good price - about £30 cheaper than EVGA SC or the MSI Gaming 4G or Gigabyte G1 Gaming, yet is a strong performer.

I have an i5 4670k Haswell. 1150 socket. What's the best combo?
How much do you want to spend?

For mATX, the ASRock Z97M Pro4 ($91) is a good budget model. If you want something higher end with more features, there's the Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 ($118).

For mITX, the ASRock Z97E-ITX/AC ($117) has very solid features, there is the slightly cheaper ASRock Z97M-ITX/AC at $109 but given the features it's just better to get the Z97E instead. An alternate brand to consider would be Gigabyte again, their GA-Z97N-WIFI ($123) seems to be reliable from what I see.

If you are interested in overclocking, I think the ASRock Z97E-ITX/AC (6 phase power) is a bit better suited than the other motherboards (4 phase power), but all of them should be suitable for light to moderate overclocking, no more than 4.4-4.5GHz.

Reckoner

Coil whine is high pitch unwanted noise, sort of like screeching. Some people who are older, have damaged hearing, or just not very sensitive ears might not be able to hear coil whining, so for you it's probably not a big deal. Coil whine doesn't mean the brand new graphic card is damaged or will die, it's just unwanted electrical noise that counts as a defect but doesn't affect the graphics card's performance.

KFA2/Galaxy seems fine, Guru3D liked their GTX 970 very much. It's a good price - about £30 cheaper than EVGA SC or the MSI Gaming 4G or Gigabyte G1 Gaming, yet is a strong performer.

How much do you want to spend?

For mATX, the ASRock Z97M Pro4 ($91) is a good budget model. If you want something higher end with more features, there's the Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 ($118).

For mITX, the ASRock Z97E-ITX/AC ($117) has very solid features, there is the slightly cheaper ASRock Z97M-ITX/AC at $109 but given the features it's just better to get the Z97E instead. An alternate brand to consider would be Gigabyte again, their GA-Z97N-WIFI ($123) seems to be reliable from what I see.

If you are interested in overclocking, I think the ASRock Z97E-ITX/AC (6 phase power) is a bit better suited than the other motherboards (4 phase power), but all of them should be suitable for light to moderate overclocking, no more than 4.4-4.5GHz.

Something below the $150 for the board would be great. Do you have any recommendations on Asus boards? I really like their customer service. They have a strong presence in my country.

RGM79

Something below the $150 for the board would be great. Do you have any recommendations on Asus boards? I really like their customer service. They have a strong presence in my country.

Sorry, I seem to have mistakenly assumed you were buying in the US. What country are you buying in and what retailers are you looking at?

LilJoka

The Node has a really clean design. Is it better than the Bitfenixs? Also, any recommendation on motherboards to go along? Preferably Asus for the awesome customer service they have.

Imo yes, bitfenix itx case is too big and poor use of space. Proven by phenom series which fits a matx board in the same dimensions..

Any Z97 ITX board is good. There's only a few, I like the asus but check out comparisons I think bit tech has one. They are all pretty even. I like Asus though.

I have this in my node 304

i7 3770 4.2ghz
Hyper 212 Evo
Msi Gamer GTX 970
Asus P8Z77I deluxe
8Gb 2133mhz
Toshiba 3Tb ACA suspension mounted
Intel 160GB SSD
Seasonic 620W

If you go for the Node 304, go for a Seasonic 550W G Series PSU as it fits perfect.

kennah

Got myself a fancy corsair gaming mousepad (hotel desk has a glass top that I can't use my sensei on) The MM200, it's pretty nice, decently huge, and was the cheapest one that Canada Computers had.

Reckoner

Well, now you just need to narrow it down to a case you like.

It seems that the Asus Z97I-PLUS (137€) or the Asus Z97M-PLUS (100€) from Amazon Spain fits your needs. PCDiga.com sells both models for over 140€, so they're more expensive.

That Z97M-PLUS seems great and good enough for my purposes. I think that I'm sold on that along with the Node 804.

Thank you all

Imo yes, bitfenix itx case is too big and poor use of space. Proven by phenom series which fits a matx board in the same dimensions..

Any Z97 ITX board is good. There's only a few, I like the asus but check out comparisons I think bit tech has one. They are all pretty even. I like Asus though.

I have this in my node 304

i7 3770 4.2ghz
Hyper 212 Evo
Msi Gamer GTX 970
Asus P8Z77I deluxe
8Gb 2133mhz
Toshiba 3Tb ACA suspension mounted
Intel 160GB SSD
Seasonic 620W

If you go for the Node 304, go for a Seasonic 550W G Series PSU as it fits perfect.

I'm expecting my XFX PSU to fit decently. Now onto selling my Fractal R4 and Maximus Hero board.

1) Put the OS on the SSD asap.

2) Overclock the CPU to 4.5GHz then you will be good for awhile.

3) Upgrade to the 970. Will give you a big performance improvement over the 670

Its funny, I bought the 2500k with the intention of overclocking for the first time, but I chickened out. I'm always too afraid to do it for whatever reason.

I know I'll have to replace the stock heatsink. Outside of that I have no clue how to OC.

FYI

If anyone is interested, I have some SSDs for sell.
Please message me if interested!

Is that allowed? If so I have a Qnix 27 inch 1440p Perfect Pixel QX2710 monitor that can do 120hz for sale as well. I also have alot of positive feedback in the B/S/T thread. PM if interested.

knitoe

Its funny, I bought the 2500k with the intention of overclocking for the first time, but I chickened out. I'm always too afraid to do it for whatever reason.

I know I'll have to replace the stock heatsink. Outside of that I have no clue how to OC.

Yes, you will need to replace the stock cooler. Replace with a $25 Coolermaster 212 would be just fine.

OC is easy:

1) Set core voltage to 1.35V.
2) CPU multiplier to 45.

Done. Next time, OC the CPU right away. You could have been enjoying the speed increase years ago.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Is 1866/2133 DDR 3 RAM worth it, or is it better to just get 1600 with low latency? How low on the 1866/2133 would I notice anything over say a 7-7-7 1600?

knitoe

When you say not really, could you give me a point of reference? Like would it be able to do 4k at 30fps?
For 4K, even 1440p, I recommend going SLI or CF. You can try to dial down the settings to get 30fps, but it would not be a very pleasant experience.
Is 1866/2133 DDR 3 RAM worth it, or is it better to just get 1600 with low latency? How low on the 1866/2133 would I notice anything over say a 7-7-7 1600?
You are not going to notice a difference unless benchmarking. Just get the cheaper one.

kennah

Asking if anyone wants to buy stuff in another thread. I wasn't sure on what restrictions there were on that here.
We allow cross posting of computer parts here. . Some people even put stuff up for sale just in this thread. It's allowed as long as people are respectful and don't spam.

RGM79

When you say not really, could you give me a point of reference? Like would it be able to do 4k at 30fps?

Around 30 frames per second for 4K (3840x2160) at low to medium settings looks doable for a single GTX 970. SLI and/or overclocking the CPU/GPU is recommended, I think even when it comes to the GTX 980.

Lots of useful information like first hand experience in this thread.

Differences are minute, but Anandtech recommends avoiding 1333MHz and 1600MHz if possible. Well, 1866MHz or faster RAM can be found for cheap enough that I would easily recommend it for any new PC build. RAM speed matters more than latency to be honest, but it does depending on the game or application, and as long as the latency isn't really high for the expected MHz rating.

What are you doing? Adding to existing RAM? Replacing the old RAM altogether?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Around 30 frames per second for 4K (3840x2160) at low to medium settings looks doable for a single GTX 970. SLI and/or overclocking the CPU/GPU is recommended, I think even when it comes to the GTX 980.

Lots of useful information like first hand experience in this thread.

Differences are minute, but Anandtech recommends avoiding 1333MHz and 1600MHz if possible. Well, 1866MHz or faster RAM can be found for cheap enough that I would easily recommend it for any new PC build. RAM speed matters more than latency to be honest, but it does depending on the game or application, and as long as the latency isn't really high for the expected MHz rating.

What are you doing? Adding to existing RAM? Replacing the old RAM altogether?

Replacing. I replaced a few components and am basically building my pc a few parts at a time. Replaced my processor and motherboard (Gigabyte z97 7 and i5 4690k), but my ram is old, low voltage 1333.

Exuro

Not for building a pc, but if I want to upgrade my laptop hdd to an ssd do I need to get some sort of holster for it? Also I'm looking at getting the crucial mx100 256GB. Is there a better deal/product for the price?

MetalDeer

Not for building a pc, but if I want to upgrade my laptop hdd to an ssd do I need to get some sort of holster for it? Also I'm looking at getting the crucial mx100 256GB. Is there a better deal/product for the price?

Depends on the laptop, with most you can just unscrew one of the panels on the bottom and remove/replace the hard drive, not sure if you want to get rid of your current drive, though. Or if you have a bigger laptop with 2 physical drives, you could just open it up and replace one of them.

If you want to keep the drive(s) that are currently in your laptop, you could get an enclosure (something like this) for the SSD, and utilize it through USB or eSATA. It'll be a bit slower than through SATA, though.

Edit: As for the best deal, I believe PCpartpicker and some other websites have some decent price comparisons, you could check there.

Derpcrawler

I am building new PC on X99 platform (going with 5820K).

Issue I have is with GPU. I've ordered two GTX970s for SLI, but I now read about its issues with using more than 3.5Gb of VRAM and I play at 1440p.

Should I go for single GTX980? It's almost extra 60% cash for what, like extra 15% performance? How likely that memory issues with GTX970 are HW and therefor can't be fixed by Nvidia?

stang6604

I'm looking for a new CPU to help with my game capture. Right now I have an i5-3570. I'm looking at the i7-4970k. I feel like that should be able to handle my needs pretty well. Any thoughts?

Derpcrawler

I'm looking for a new CPU to help with my game capture. Right now I have an i5-3570. I'm looking at the i7-4970k. I feel like that should be able to handle my needs pretty well. Any thoughts?

Won't be much of an improvement, you would want more physical cores, rather than more virtual threads.

RGM79

Replacing. I replaced a few components and am basically building my pc a few parts at a time. Replaced my processor and motherboard (Gigabyte z97 7 and i5 4690k), but my ram is old, low voltage 1333.

Then in that case, I'd go with whatever ends up being cheaper. You won't really notice the difference from 1333MHz in daily usage, and while speed and latency can affect game framerate, it will vary from game to game.

Depends on the laptop, with most you can just unscrew one of the panels on the bottom and remove/replace the hard drive, not sure if you want to get rid of your current drive, though. Or if you have a bigger laptop with 2 physical drives, you could just open it up and replace one of them.

If you want to keep the drive(s) that are currently in your laptop, you could get an enclosure (something like this) for the SSD, and utilize it through USB or eSATA. It'll be a bit slower than through SATA, though.

Edit: As for the best deal, I believe PCpartpicker and some other websites have some decent price comparisons, you could check there.

Depends on a few details, and like MetalDeer said, on the laptop itself. What brand and model laptop do you have?

You will either need to install a fresh copy of Windows on the SSD, or you can to clone the existing hard drive over to the new SSD as long as all of your files fit on the new SSD. simply copying it doesn't work. There's free software for that, as well as some SSDs coming bundled with software keys for drive cloning software.

If your laptop only takes a single drive, then I also recommend that you get a 2.5" hard drive enclosure and use it to hold the hard drive. Some laptops that do support a second hard drive require you to buy a hard drive caddy in order to fit it properly, that will depend on what laptop you have.

I am building new PC on X99 platform (going with 5820K).

Issue I have is with GPU. I've ordered two GTX970s for SLI, but I now read about its issues with using more than 3.5Gb of VRAM and I play at 1440p.

Should I go for single GTX980? It's almost extra 60% cash for what, like extra 15% performance? How likely that memory issues with GTX970 are HW and therefor can't be fixed by Nvidia?

From what I've read, it's a software/driver issue. Certain configurations and settings in games can take full advantage of the entire 4GB and the limitations are only a problem at extremely high resolution or DSR at 1440p, which the testing person in that article does admit could be just the GTX 970 struggling with 5K resolution and 8X MSAA.

I haven't heard of any reason for there being a hardware defect in the GTX 970's design. The GTX 970 is the same as the GTX 980, even the same VRAM and memory bus but with lower performance due to disabled parts (that's virtually how most graphics cards are designed) - you have the normal full power design for the flagship GTX 980, and lower end models are either smaller scaled (GTX 750 Ti) or have SMMs disabled/removed to reduce performance (GTX 970).

I think the GTX 970 is still a viable graphics card - no one's actually complained until someone noticed this odd issue with the GTX 970 not using up all of its memory and raised the alarm. It's definitely disconcerting, but I don't really think it's a dealbreaker or worth spending the extra money on the GTX 980 (unless you don't mind paying more). It's up to you if you want to pay more or hope that the GTX 970 will be fixed. I have no idea if any manufacturers are considering this a defect and will do RMA over it.

yeah thats really what i was wondering. If a 6 core at would benefit me more on that side of things.

Well, how much do you have budgeted for an upgrade? Have you looked around to see what hardware others are using to do the same thing? What kind of game recording are you doing exactly? I don't think I've heard of i7 5820K and X99 motherboard being a requirement for game recording.

I ask because this is quite a bit of money to put down - to upgrade from your older generation processor, you will need a new motherboard to go along with a new CPU. The i5 4690K or i7 4790K with a new motherboard will run $300-400 USD.

And if you decide to go with an Intel hexacore processor, you'll need to get a higher end CPU cooler (if you don't already have one), an X99 motherboard, and DDR4 RAM as well because your old DDR3 RAM is incompatible, which runs up costs even more. At minimum, the i7 5820K hexacore processor, X99 motherboard, 16GB DDR4 RAM, and a good CPU cooler will cost around $800 USD.

How does this board feel about the R9 290? After today's somewhat disappointing GTX960 launch and the unbelievably potent desire to upgrade, I forced myself to look at AMD GPUs and found a reasonably solid R9 290 for $290 (I refuse to go above $300 and Nvidia seems to have no real answer for me).

Any R9 290 users here? What are your impressions with power/performance? Reviews on all the R9 290s on Newegg seem terribly middling, but I'm looking past that. Are AMD drivers up to snuff? I hear seemingly good things about the Omega drivers. What's this about "elpida memory" problems?

What can I expect using a single R9 290 on this PSU

Any help would be appreciated brehs

The Llama

How does this board feel about the R9 290? After today's somewhat disappointing GTX960 launch and the unbelievably potent desire to upgrade, I forced myself to look at AMD GPUs and found a reasonably solid R9 290 for $290 (I refuse to go above $300 and Nvidia seems to have no real answer for me).

Any R9 290 users here? What are your impressions with power/performance? Reviews on all the R9 290s on Newegg seem terribly middling, but I'm looking past that. Are AMD drivers up to snuff? I hear seemingly good things about the Omega drivers. What's this about "elpida memory" problems?

Great card, but you should be able to do better than $290.

xezuru

Quick question: Is i7's performance increase really worth the $100+ jump in prices?
Was planning on getting an Intel Core i5-4690K, and wasn't really sure if the next step was reaally worth it for 1150 slot CPUs.

Also, was that article talking about some Nvidia 970s randomly capping their memory at 3.5G debunked?

Tabasco

I don't know if this would be a proper thread to post this in, but, does anyone know if it's practical to use the mic that came with the PS4 on a PC instead?

When I connect it to the mic port on my PC, I have to talk directly into the earpiece for it to pick up my voice. Is there just no convenient way to use it?

RGM79

I dunno if you want to wait it out but when on sale, the R9 290 has been as cheap as $220~250. Yes, that includes the specific Powercolor PCS+ model you linked to. The link I just posted shows that it's selling for $250 elsewhere after rebate. I'll admit that thr $220~250 range was around the Black Friday and Christmas shopping season, but $290 is basically full price for any R9 290.

Look here for an always up to date price tracker for R9 290 graphics cards and just about any PC component.

Yeah, that 620 Watt power supply will be fine for a single R9 290. Seasonic is a good brand.

Quick question: Is i7's performance increase really worth the $100+ jump in prices?
Was planning on getting an Intel Core i5-4690K, and wasn't really sure if the next step was reaally worth it for 1150 slot CPUs.

Also, was that article talking about some Nvidia 970s randomly capping their memory at 3.5G debunked?

Yes if you're doing something that can take advantage of multi-threading like video editing for 3D modelling or workstation computation. Otherwise, you would have to go up to i7 hexa core and octocore on X99 motherboards to see a difference in gaming framerate performance, but the i5 4690K is already good enough of a deal and performer for most people playing games on PC.

Anandtech CPU framerate benchmarking (scroll down)
XBit Labs 4690K and 4790K review

Also, I mentioned the GTX 970 3.5GB VRAM issue just 3 posts above yours. It hasn't been debunked, it's actually been confirmed by most other users.

I dunno if you want to wait it out but when on sale, the R9 290 has been as cheap as $220~250. Yes, that includes the specific Powercolor PCS+ model you linked to. The link I just posted shows that it's selling for $250 elsewhere after rebate. I'll admit that thr $220~250 range was around the Black Friday and Christmas shopping season, but $290 is basically full price for any R9 290.

The R9 290 from Amazon is 10.5 long whereas the one on Newegg, which seems to be the same model, is 11.5. Not sure what to believe

Edit: NVM, amazon is to blame. Newegg it is

Ryde3

Hey everyone,

I've been trying to do my own research over the past few weeks and thought it was time to to make a post to finally ask some questions.

My target budget is around 1200$ Canadian and that's without a monitor for now (will use my TV ). My objective is to be able play upcoming games like The Witcher 3, GTAV and Unreal Tournament in 60fps/1080p and also have it be future proof. I want to have the option to SLI the GPU in the future, expand the RAM, and if needed upgrade the cooling system also (things to consider when choosing a case?) The only parts I’ll be re-using will be 2 500GB WD Blue SATA HDDs, everything else will be brand new, and I have Windows 7 pro already.

I don’t really have a deadline but I’m getting anxious (will probably buy everything over the period of the next month or so) I decided to go with a K cpu, and Z97 mobo with over clocking in mind because I think it fits in with the idea of being future-proof.

Really hoping to get some feedback, I'm getting excited, here’s what I’ve been looking at so far:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor - 280$
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler - 35$
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard - 110$
RAM: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory - 95$
SSD for OS: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive - 95$
GPU: I believe I've decided on a 970 but would consider a 290x or others
(but have NO idea which one to get) and I expect it to run me a max of 430$

My questions are for suggestions on the Case + Power Supply to facilitate this build, while keeping nice cable management and the future in mind. Anything I should be weary of? What if I considered one of those smaller cube cases, would everything fit and would heating be an issue? Any better/cheaper/better suited suggestions for any of the parts?

This would currently run me about 1245$ (1045$+200$ roughly for Case + PSU) before taxes so going over my target budget by a bit, but not a deal breaker. Thanks!

Edit: PC Parts Picker Canada of what I've selected so far with the case and psu being fillers, and no gpu selected. http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/cJqJP6

BasicMath

I'm looking for a heatsink. Would love it to be under $70ish. Kinda around there really.

I see the top ones are all liquid based all in one units (Corsair/CM/NZXT) and at the entry point you have the price/performance beast (Hyper 212). My question is: What's in the middle? Specifically looking for air based ones. I don't trust all in one liquid units at all.

Are you planning on eventually going for 8GBx4(32GB)? If not, I really would go for 4GBx2 instead. Helps with performance and all.

Fracas

#fuckonami
After reading this thread and taking a suggestion from another gaffer, I came up with this build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.75 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($110.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($344.00 @ NCIX US)
Case: Enermax OSTROG ATX Mid Tower Case ($43.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Antec TruePower Classic 750W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS DVD/CD Writer ($22.29 @ OutletPC)
Wired Network Adapter: Edimax EN-9130TXL 10/100 Mbps PCI Network Adapter ($5.91 @ Mwave)
Wireless Network Adapter: D-Link DWA-140 802.11g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter ($12.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $1060.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-23 01:01 EST-0500

Now I'll be honest, I really know next to nothing about hardware. I know it's a stupid question, but how's it look? Is there anything else I need to have this thing built? PCPartPicker didn't mention any compatibility issues but again, I'd have no idea. I might upgrade the RAM, but I dunno. If there are any cheap upgrades you guys can recommend, my budget's around $1200-$1300.

Chitown B

depends what you want to do with it. I could build a more than capable gaming machine less than $1k, but if you need the graphics power then it looks OK. Although I'd recommend an SSD.

After reading this thread and taking a suggestion from another gaffer, I came up with this build:

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.75 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.88 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: Antec TruePower Classic 750W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Wired Network Adapter: Edimax EN-9130TXL 10/100 Mbps PCI Network Adapter ($5.91 @ Mwave)
Wireless Network Adapter: D-Link DWA-140 802.11g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter ($12.95 @ Amazon)

Now I'll be honest, I really know next to nothing about hardware. I know it's a stupid question, but how's it look? Is there anything else I need to have this thing built? PCPartPicker didn't mention any compatibility issues but again, I'd have no idea. I might upgrade the RAM, but I dunno. If there are any cheap upgrades you guys can recommend, my budget's around $1200-$1300.

Do you really need an optical drive? If not, lose it.

Also lose the wired network card. Totally unnecessary.

Edit: and pop in an ssd for snappiness.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Okay I'm dumb, didn't know the motherboard has a lan port, haha. I'm looking at SSDs now. I don't really need an optical drive that badly, but for the price I'm cool with having it there.

I've got to head out, but if you guys have any more suggestions or even alternate builds, let me know. Only components I have now are a keyboard, mouse and a dvd with Windows 8. Been reading what I can and PC building seems pretty rad.

edit: Oh, and for what I'm wanting to use it for: mostly, I want something powerful (hence the i7 and gtx 970). I have a midrange laptop right now, but I want something that can run any game this year at high settings. I don't think it'd be an issue, but I'm interested in emulation as well. There aren't really any other intensive tasks I'd need to do; with a GPU and processor like that, stuff like using word and netflix would barely scratch the surface. Downsampling isn't really important.

When you think about doing 4k gaming, just remember what 4k is; 4 1080p monitors tiled in a square. Now think about what it would take to get each one of those running at the settings you want.

I'm looking for a heatsink. Would love it to be under $70ish. Kinda around there really.

I see the top ones are all liquid based all in one units (Corsair/CM/NZXT) and at the entry point you have the price/performance beast (Hyper 212). My question is: What's in the middle? Specifically looking for air based ones. I don't trust all in one liquid units at all.
There really isn't a middle. Just get the 212. It's a fantastic cooler. Throw on some Noctua fans if you want to fancy it up. If you're dead set on spending more money, get a Noctua cooler. They're well made and have fantastic performance.

RGM79

Hey everyone,

I've been trying to do my own research over the past few weeks and thought it was time to to make a post to finally ask some questions.

My target budget is around 1200$ Canadian and that's without a monitor for now (will use my TV ). My objective is to be able play upcoming games like The Witcher 3, GTAV and Unreal Tournament in 60fps/1080p and also have it be future proof. I want to have the option to SLI the GPU in the future, expand the RAM, and if needed upgrade the cooling system also (things to consider when choosing a case?) The only parts I’ll be re-using will be 2 500GB WD Blue SATA HDDs, everything else will be brand new, and I have Windows 7 pro already.

I don’t really have a deadline but I’m getting anxious (will probably buy everything over the period of the next month or so) I decided to go with a K cpu, and Z97 mobo with over clocking in mind because I think it fits in with the idea of being future-proof.

Really hoping to get some feedback, I'm getting excited, here’s what I’ve been looking at so far:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor - 280$
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler - 35$
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard - 110$
SSD for OS: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive - 95$
GPU: I believe I've decided on a 970 but would consider a 290x or others
(but have NO idea which one to get) and I expect it to run me a max of 430$

My questions are for suggestions on the Case + Power supply to facilitate this build, while keeping nice cable management and the future in mind. Anything I should be weary of? Any better/cheaper suggestions for any of the parts?

This would currently run be about 1245$ (1045$+200$ roughly for Case + PSU) before taxes so going over my target budget by a bit, but not a deal breaker. Thanks!

Where in Canada are you? If you live in BC lower mainland or around Toronto, there's local NCIX and Memory Express retailers and they do pricematching, which makes it handy to get most of your parts from one or two retailers and keep the best possible pricing.

Future proofing is a bit hard. If you can wait until I'm guessing September-ish this year, Intel will be releasing their new Skylake processors and Z170 socket 1151 platform which is going to be the new line for consumers. The current consumer Z97 platform will get Broadwell later this year and then that will be it, socket 1150 is on the way out after that.

If you plan to buy soon then the current Haswell parts you have are fine, they won't be instantly made obsolete by Skylake. Just keep in mind that there will be no CPU/motherboard upgrades after this year's Broadwell processors. That said, the 4690K should last you 3+ years from this point on easily, even longer with overclocking.

If you want to keep your options open for dual graphics cards in the future, you should consider what kind of power supply to get. GTX 970 SLI will run just fine on 700-750 watts, while R9 290 crossfire will run on 800-850 watts. Going with the R9 290 will save you some money even after budgeting for a slightly stronger power supply, but the GTX 970 is newer, slightly faster, more efficient, and some people like Nvidia more for drivers or support. The R9 290X is much more expensive yet more or less matched by the GTX 970, so I don't think it's worth going for.

Anyway, I have some parts recommendations:

I found faster G.Skill DDR3-2400 RAM for $82 from NCIX. The fact that it's 2 x 4GB shouldn't be a problem because even if you fill up four RAM slots, you'll get 16GB which is more than most people ever need unless they do heavy video editing or something. Unless you're doing heavy workstation processing and plan on filling all the slots with 8GB sticks for a total of 32GB, I kind of doubt you'll ever need that much RAM.

As for the power supply, I have 2 recommendations each for 750 and 850 watts. They are all good quality and reliable, I'll also link reviews.
XFX 750 watt bronze rated non-modular for $65 after $20 rebate - This model P1-750S-NLB9 had multiple high scoring reviews from multiple reviewers.
XFX 850 watt bronze rated non-modular for $100 - Same as above, just the 850 watt version.
Corsair CS750M gold rated semi-modular for $115 - The 650 watt version had good reviews, the 750 watt should be just as good.
EVGA Supernova G2 850 watt gold rated fully modular for $125 after $20 rebate - Pretty much one of the best power supplies you can get, but with a matching price tag. It's been as cheap as $110 when on sale, but unfortunately not at the moment.One of the highest rated power supplies reviewed by Jonny Guru.

As for the case.. what do you want? Full tower with more room to expand? Mid tower to save space but still well featured? Do you want sound proofing in the case? Side window? Color?

Some cases that I can recommend in general:
Cooler Master HAF 912 ($60) - Decent midrange mid tower case. Gets the job done no fuss, but the design includes nice touches that keep it from being totally spartan in terms of features. A bit dated but still good. Tweaktown review.
Antec P100 ($82) - Very recently released. Reviews seems very good. A nice in-between model that costs less than $100 but offers good quality. Techpowerup review.
Phanteks Enthoo Pro ($100) - Full tower for lots of expansion room, great feature set and premium design closer to what you might expect in a more expensive case. Tweaktown review.
Fractal Define R5 ($130) - Expensive mid tower, but it's very new and has a modular interior for accommodating just about anything. Soundproofed as well. Windowed versions available for a higher price. Tweaktown review.

Kayant

Okay I'm dumb, didn't know the motherboard has a lan port, haha. I'm looking at SSDs now. I don't really need an optical drive that badly, but for the price I'm cool with having it there.

I've got to head out, but if you guys have any more suggestions or even alternate builds, let me know. Only components I have now are a keyboard, mouse and a dvd with Windows 8. Been reading what I can and PC building seems pretty rad.

edit: Oh, and for what I'm wanting to use it for: mostly, I want something powerful (hence the i7 and gtx 970). I have a midrange laptop right now, but I want something that can run any game this year at high settings. I don't think it'd be an issue, but I'm interested in emulation as well. There aren't really any other intensive tasks I'd need to do; with a GPU and processor like that, stuff like using word and netflix would barely scratch the surface. Downsampling isn't really important.

Then I suggest an i5 4690k or i5 4690 if your never going to overclock as the jump to an i7 if the power you want is mainly for gaming isn't much(5fps or so) and isn't worth the cost difference for gaming. DirectX12 may change that but it's hard to tell how much it could change and an i5 too will get improvements because of having 4 cores.

Thanks to RGM79 for the links - http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1261?vs=1260
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i7-4790k-i5-4690k_5.html#sect0

BasicMath

There really isn't a middle. Just get the 212. It's a fantastic cooler. Throw on some Noctua fans if you want to fancy it up. If you're dead set on spending more money, get a Noctua cooler. They're well made and have fantastic performance.
That's unfortunate.
It's a 2011-v3 build. I don't have enough confidence in the 212 to bring it into the mix. I think I'm gonna need more but I really don't want the all in one solutions.

I will look more closely into Noctua's coolers. Thanks.

RGM79

That's unfortunate.
It's a 2011-v3 build. I don't have enough confidence in the 212 to bring it into the mix. I think I'm gonna need more but I really don't want the all in one solutions.

I will look more closely into Noctua's coolers. Thanks.

The Noctua NH-D14 socket 2011 edition ($77) used to be Noctua's top model until the bigger NH-D15 ($90) was released and took the crown. There are a ton of reviews on the internet that are all full of praise for it as well as Noctua's other air coolers. If you can spend the money for it, the NH-D14 and NH-D15 are highly recommended and will work well for X99.

What are you using the computer for? If it's games, you don't need the i7 4790K. The i5 4690K and 4790k end up having very similar, sometimes near identical framerate because games just don't take advantage of 8 processing threads, the 4790K's hyperthreading won't be needed. That's about $100 you can save there.

Anandtech CPU framerate benchmarking (scroll down)
XBit Labs 4690K and 4790K review and game performance comparison

Do you really need a DVD drive? With digital distribution being the norm nowadays, I haven't touched my DVD drive in years. If you absolutely need wifi networking, I'd go with a different model, USB is not very good, I'd recommend a PCI-E wifi adaptor like this Gigabyte adaptor for $30 which has a nice long antenna and wifi AC connectivity.

The Antec TruePower Classic should be a good PSU as it's made by Seasonic, but Newegg reviews aren't too positive. There seems to be some issues with units dying after very short lives or even being dead on arrival. I recommend the XFX Pro Core Edition 750 watt PSU for $65 after $20 rebate. About $10 more expensive, but it doesn't seem to have the Antec TPC's issues. They're both Seasonic OEM models, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom