• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilJoka

I haven't overclocked yet. I seem to get 85C at most with vsync so I guess i should just keep that on.

It's very high, what's the case?
Maybe you need to look at the airflow in your case.

Vsync is keeping the temps down since it locks to a particular fps meaning the GPU is no longer at 100% utilisation. You can use Msi afterburner frame limiter to achieve a similar effect without the disadvantages of vsync.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
After much consideration, I think I'm going to acquire a GTX 960 over the GTX 970. Haven't upgraded my PC for five years and hell, my most powerful system to-date has been an Athlon X4 630 and a AMD HD 5770 which shows that I've always been roaming around the low to mid-range threshold.

Now that I'm making decent money, I've bought those part last week:

i5-4690K
AsRock Z97 Anniversary Edition
8GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz
Reusing my old case and using a 550W power supply bought this summer.

So far so good, but I'm looking to add a graphic card. My biggest argument against the GTX 970 is its price (minimum $400 w/ tax in Canada for the Zotac GTX 970 AMP OMEGA). I can get a Gigabyte GTX 960 for $250 tax included. Also since I'm aiming to play with one monitor @ 1080p, isn't the performance output of this card will be enough? I'm asking because ultimately, I'm very much lacking perspective when it comes to performance goals with PC gaming.

Any comments?

There's quite a few places to save a lot of money.
Motherboard doesn't need to be that expensive. RAM is a bit slow, 1866MHz or faster can be found for the same price.
The Enthoo Pro is a great premium case, but cheaper, less well-featured cases can be had that will get the job done.
I recommend the updated version of the same EVGA Supernova G series 750 watt power supply for only $10 more after rebate. If you don't mind giving up gold efficiency, a decent quality 750 watt power supply is the EVGA Supernova B2 model, which is only $50.
Does he even need a sound card? He'll only need one if he has audiophile quality headphones or something that onboard sound can't drive.

Here's my version of your build, saved about $160.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.95 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.75 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($110.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($334.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.90 @ Directron)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1064.54
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-26 00:17 EST-0500

Thanks a ton for the advice.

I'll probably go ahead and add that more expensive PSU that you recommended instead of the cheaper one. I'm not sure about the case though. I've really liked everything I've seen about the Enthoo Pro, especially since it seems so open and easy to work with. (This being the first time building a custom pc, being easy to work with is huge)

I noticed that I got this compatibility problem while looking at your build.
The G.Skill Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory operating voltage of 1.65V exceeds the Intel Haswell Refresh CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum.
Would the decrease in clock rate here have much of a negative effect on the ram speed? I don't know much about overclocking either, so I'm not sure if overclocking the CPU would remove this issue, or if it's even recommended with this hardware.

I also went ahead and changed the graphics card to the Gigabyte one instead of the superclocked EVGA card. From the (Admittedly small amount of) research I've done, it seems that the Gigabyte is one of the best 970 cards out there.

If you or anyone else has any more advice for me, I'd love to hear it.

The Llama

Thanks a ton for the advice.

I'll probably go ahead and add that more expensive PSU that you recommended instead of the cheaper one. I'm not sure about the case though. I've really liked everything I've seen about the Enthoo Pro, especially since it seems so open and easy to work with. (This being the first time building a custom pc, being easy to work with is huge)

I noticed that I got this compatibility problem while looking at your build.

Would the decrease in clock rate here have much of a negative effect on the ram speed? I don't know much about overclocking either, so I'm not sure if overclocking the CPU would remove this issue, or if it's even recommended with this hardware.

I also went ahead and changed the graphics card to the Gigabyte one instead of the superclocked EVGA card. From the (Admittedly small amount of) research I've done, it seems that the Gigabyte is one of the best 970 cards out there.

If you or anyone else has any more advice for me, I'd love to hear it.

Don't worry too much about the RAM. Basically you'll just need to set the voltage to 1.65V and you won't have anything to worry about. Or you can run the RAM slower (with little to no performance difference) and lower the voltage.

Kntj

It's very high, what's the case?
Maybe you need to look at the airflow in your case.

Vsync is keeping the temps down since it locks to a particular fps meaning the GPU is no longer at 100% utilisation. You can use Msi afterburner frame limiter to achieve a similar effect without the disadvantages of vsync.

I'm using BitFenix Shinobi. I'll try to re-arrange my case fans and cables to see if it helps. I never had heat problems with my 7950 in the same case though.

Edit: Changed nothing as far as I can tell. RMA?
Edit2: Temps go up to 94C even if I set the fan speed at 100%, wtf.
Edit3: It also stays at 94C if I lock the fan speed to 45%. Can somebody explain this? I did read something about it being designed to run at 94C or something, but I still thought that was supposed to be the maximum and not literally stay at that temp.

Effect

Got my new motherboard today and encountered a problem. Had completely forgotten that one of my hard drives had a ide connector. The others are sata and are the newer and bigger drives. Thankfully my Windows 7 install is on one of those. Trying to figure out what's the cheapest way to deal with this. An enclosure or a adapter if those exist? Anyone know how much either run?

The other option is put my old board back in, reconnect everything and see what's on the drive and if I can move everything over. Really should hve checked before I started taking everything apart. Was just to excited.

knitoe

Got my new motherboard today and encountered a problem. Had completely forgotten that one of my hard drives had a ide connector. The others are sata and are the newer and bigger drives. Thankfully my Windows 7 install is on one of those. Trying to figure out what's the cheapest way to deal with this. An enclosure or a adapter if those exist? Anyone know how much either run?

The other option is put my old board back in, reconnect everything and see what's on the drive and if I can move everything over. Really should hve checked before I started taking everything apart. Was just to excited.

IDE to SATA adaptor.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...o+sata+adapter&rh=i:aps,k:ide+to+sata+adapter

Smokey

After much consideration, I think I'm going to acquire a GTX 960 over the GTX 970. Haven't upgraded my PC for five years and hell, my most powerful system to-date has been an Athlon X4 630 and a AMD HD 5770 which shows that I've always been roaming around the low to mid-range threshold.

i5-4690K
8GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz

So far so good, but I'm looking to add a graphic card. My biggest argument against the GTX 970 is its price (minimum $400 w/ tax in Canada for the Zotac GTX 970 AMP OMEGA). I can get a Gigabyte GTX 960 for $250 tax included. Also since I'm aiming to play with one monitor @ 1080p, isn't the performance output of this card will be enough? I'm asking because ultimately, I'm very much lacking perspective when it comes to performance goals with PC gaming.

Any comments?

I wouldn't be buying anything in 2015 with 2GB VRAM. The 970 will last you the entire generation and then some. It's the new sweet spot card.

Don't worry too much about the RAM. Basically you'll just need to set the voltage to 1.65V and you won't have anything to worry about. Or you can run the RAM slower (with little to no performance difference) and lower the voltage.
Okay, thanks for the info.

So after taking everything into consideration, this is the build I've come up with:

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.75 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($349.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1169.52
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-26 14:06 EST-0500

It seems to be powerful enough to play games at 1080p60 for a little while, while still being affordable enough for him to get a good monitor and stay under budget.

Are there any obvious changes that I need to make to this setup before he starts buying the parts for it? Is it a decently future-proof build? Should I stop worrying so much about this? =P

EDIT: In not 100% sure on this Motherboard. It doesn't seem to have the greatest reviews...

Chitown B

I wouldn't be buying anything in 2015 with 2GB VRAM. The 970 will last you the entire generation and then some. It's the new sweet spot card.

what do you consider a PC "generation"? real question.

Because I know PC's will always look better but you're also spending 2-4x as much as just getting an X1/PS4. And if all you're using it for is gaming, then it can get to be a bit inflated in price pretty quick. Spending $500 on a video card when that is already $150 more than a complete gaming system is steep....

garath

what do you consider a PC "generation"? real question.

Because I know PC's will always look better but you're also spending 2-4x as much as just getting an X1/PS4. And if all you're using it for is gaming, then it can get to be a bit inflated in price pretty quick. Spending $500 on a video card when that is already $150 more than a complete gaming system is steep....

He probably means this console generation. Since new games will often look to the lowest common denominator when developing (the consoles), having a PC that exceeds the performance of the consoles will generally mean you will be able to run every cross platform game that comes out with equal or better graphical fidelity than the consoles.

The fun of PC is it will be cross generational. You'll be able to run games that are released on PC and the next gen of consoles as well, albeit with lower settings.

But yes, gaming PCs are generally more expensive than the console counterparts. But they have superior hardware and a decent game will be able to take advantage of that superior hardware and will look and feel much better than the console version. Plus PC games are generally discounted deeper than the console games and have the benefit of being upgraded and expanded all the time.

Chitown B

He probably means this console generation. Since new games will often look to the lowest common denominator when developing (the consoles), having a PC that exceeds the performance of the consoles will generally mean you will be able to run every cross platform game that comes out with equal or better graphical fidelity than the consoles.

The fun of PC is it will be cross generational. You'll be able to run games that are released on PC and the next gen of consoles as well, albeit with lower settings.

But yes, gaming PCs are generally more expensive than the console counterparts. But they have superior hardware and a decent game will be able to take advantage of that superior hardware and will look and feel much better than the console version. Plus PC games are generally discounted deeper than the console games and have the benefit of being upgraded and expanded all the time.

All good points. Though it seems this console gen updates are happening much more often and without cost, so devs are keeping up on them. You'll never have the hacks and homemade patches of course, though.

rmt92

Ok, with using this thread, the logical increments table on reddit, and just general browsing, I think I've come up with something that I'm happy with. I wanted to get some advice and general critique on my build.

I have a budget of under $1000, closer to $900 excluding monitor and accessories. I'm building it in lieu of the recent Guild Wars 2 expansion announcement. I want to be able to play it 60 fps on max settings. I also want to be able to make use of steam, but I wouldn't be as bothered about missing 60 fps on max settings for most games on there. Emulation and streaming would be cool, but I'm not really willing to up in price anymore.

Below is my current planned build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($186.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($87.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($64.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 290 4GB DirectCU II Video Card ($289.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($57.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($13.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($87.75 @ OutletPC)
Total: $941.39
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-26 15:56 EST-0500

Thanks in advance for the help!

The Llama

Ok, with using this thread, the logical increments table on reddit, and just general browsing, I think I've come up with something that I'm happy with. I wanted to get some advice and general critique on my build.

I have a budget of under $1000, closer to $900 excluding monitor and accessories. I'm building it in lieu of the recent Guild Wars 2 expansion announcement. I want to be able to play it 60 fps on max settings. I also want to be able to make use of steam, but I wouldn't be as bothered about missing 60 fps on max settings for most games on there. Emulation and streaming would be cool, but I'm not really willing to up in price anymore.

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.88 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)

Pretty good, but you can probably save money on the 290 (try to find one closer to $250), and I'd drop the optical drive unless you know you're going to need it. If I was in your position I'd stretch your budget to get a 4690k. Even if you don't want to overclock it now, it gives you the option to in the future, which might get another year or 2 before you have to upgraded.

rmt92

Pretty good, but you can probably save money on the 290 (try to find one closer to $250), and I'd drop the optical drive unless you know you're going to need it. If I was in your position I'd stretch your budget to get a 4690k. Even if you don't want to overclock it now, it gives you the option to in the future, which might get another year or 2 before you have to upgraded.

Yea, the 290 I picked there was 239 earlier today, but it went up. I didn't really want to overclock all that bad, but I may consider it. I've been going back and forth on it.

Thanks for your help!

Sjefen

Built a gaming rig a couple of months ago, as follows:

Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO, Socket-1150
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K
Storage: Corsair SSD Neutron Series GTX 120GB
Case: In Win GRone Big Tower Sort
Mouse: Logitech G602 Wireless Gaming Mouse
Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth 2014
Storage: Seagate Barracuda® 2TB
Graphic card: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 970 4GB PhysX CUDA
Memory: HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz 16GB Black
Power supply: Corsair RM850, 850W PSU
CPU cooler: Corsair H100i Hydro Series CPU Kjøler

My main reason for building a gaming rig is I want to play multiplatform games running at 1080P/60FPS on my 105 inch projector screen with full surround sound in my man cave. The last piece of the puzzle is arriving tomorrow in the form of a new receiver. PC is 4 meters away from Receiver. My question is: what is the easiest way of connecting PC to receiver, keep in mind I want surround sound? Do I need to buy a separate sound card?

Ryde3

Hey everyone, thanks for the feedback, building my PC this week!

My plan was to use my HDTV as my monitor for a month until I buy one, but I realized I have 200$ for Wal-mart in gift cards, which I could use to get one. I'm in Canada and am having a hard time deciding on a good monitor (and I don't know what to look for besides 1ms response time.)

I am going to be gaming in 1080p/60fps, so I won't need 4k/GSYNC anytime soon (although I am getting a 970 and I see myself SLI'ing but I'll just get a 4K then) and I'd like it to be 24".

Here is a link to the 24" inch monitors available at Wal-mart.ca

I can use the 200$ for something else if none of these are a good option, so really I'm just looking for any 150-350$ suggestions for a good quality, nice looking 24" monitor for 1080p gaming.

Thanks for all the help everyone!!

The Llama

Yea, the 290 I picked there was 239 earlier today, but it went up. I didn't really want to overclock all that bad, but I may consider it. I've been going back and forth on it.

Thanks for your help!

Yeah, it's understandable. But I'd definitely suggest the 4690k (and a decent CPU cooler) because even if you decide not to, you have the option to in the future. It could mean the difference between 50-55 FPS and a solid 60.

Everything pretty much assembled. I still have to buy a CPU cooler and a GPU but that won't be until next paycheck.

Loving the look though.

j5RUc1E.jpg

rMnkLbw.jpg

ACE 1991

So are there any tidbits on what the AMD GPU refresh will bring?

Part of me really wants to jump on the r9 290 prices. will my 620w PSU be enough for one? It seems like I should be able to get away with my i5 2500k for a few more years.

RGM79

Thanks for your reply. I've already bought the CPU (5960X) and the mobo (GA-X99M-Gaming 5).

Next step is to get a case that fits a 280mm (320mm) radiator.

I can wait for the Corsair H110i GT if it is worthwhile (the improves), although I've found some bad opinions about the 'Corsair Link' software and more recommendations as yours to get the H110 or the NZXT Kraken X61.

This one, the X61, is available now in a local store. I'm not sure how it performs each one with the 8-core intel cpu. Do you have the Kraken X61 installed & running?

Unfortunately no, I do not have the Kraken X61 myself or a similar processor to use it with. I can show you review benchmarks that will help show you how well it runs, though. The 5960X you bought has a TDP (thermal design power) of 140 watts. Thermal design power is a rating that generally tells us how much heat the processor will generate. Looking for reviews where they pair the X61 with processors that also have similarly high TDP will tell us how well the cooler can do.

Hardware Canucks review - In their test, they used the i7 920 which is rated for a TDP of 130 watts.
Overclock3D review - They used the i7 3960X, a more recent processor which is also rated for a TDP of 130 watts.
SilentPCReview review - They used the i7-965 Extreme, which is also rated for 130 watt TDP.
Tom's Hardware review - This time they are using the more recent 5930K which is rated for a 140 watt TDP, the same as the 5960X.

Generally, the X61 does well and is around the top of the performance charts.

Bought a 290x matrix platinum for 319€. It heats up to at least 90 degrees C pretty fast while playing lords of the fallen (with v-sync off and max settings at 1440p). Should i worry about that?

Edit: Tested with Far Cry 4 and it goes up to 94 degrees.
Yes, I think 90 degrees is something to be worried about. Is fan speed on auto? you may want to crank it up to 100%..

HardOCP's testing of the same graphics card revealed the same high temperatures. However, Guru3D and Ocaholic's reviews did not result in such high temperatures, but in all three reviews they appear to be using open air testing setups, not with closed cases. It is hard to say why temperatures are so high.

Thanks. I think I'll wait for Skylake then. I've never overclocked my rig before, so I'm not sure how big of a deal it is to not hold out for the K version. Doing some quick research a year after Skylake there is going to be a die shrink to 10nm. I'm not sure how significant that is, but at the same time I'm not sure I can wait. My computer is 6 years old and is having motherboard issues so I want to upgrade soon.

As for GPU's nothing major coming out there to hold out for? What is this issue with the 970s I keep seeing mentioned?

Edit: I'm a little confused on what exactly X99 is. Is it a motherboard thing or a cpu thing? I'm seeing motherboards with x99 around. Will it be compatible with Skylake or is this for the current processors? Sorry, I'm not too familiar with this stuff.

As for GPU, AMD is expected to release their R9 3xx series flagship graphics cards in Q2 2015, which means they should be out before Intel's new processors.

The issue with the GTX 970s is that they have this hardware design issue that prevents them from effectively using the full 4GB of the graphics card's design. The flaw only appears in scenarios requiring most of the GTX 970's memory, which is to say it doesn't really happen often as of now, but is definitely going to be a problem in the future, and on higher game resolutions that will use up more memory.

About Intel's consumer stuff and Z97 and X99: To put it simply, Intel has two product lines for consumer computers. Z97 and X99 refer to motherboard types, they accept different types of processors. Z97 (and a couple of other motherboard types) covers the low to mid range of computers, while X99 is Intel's high end line. Z97 is usually enough for most people, but those with money or need for high power go with X99.

i5-4690K
8GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz

Any comments?

For around $300 CAD you can get the R9 290 which comes close to the GTX 970 and easily beats the GTX 960. The GTX 960 is also a good upgrade from your 5770, but the R9 290 will allow you to max out games and/or run at high framerate at 1080p, whereas GTX 960 is only slightly (~10%) better than the old GTX 760 and is a match for the old R9 280 (non-X version).

So are there any tidbits on what the AMD GPU refresh will bring?

Part of me really wants to jump on the r9 290 prices. will my 620w PSU be enough for one? It seems like I should be able to get away with my i5 2500k for a few more years.
Here's a WCCFTech article detailing some of the new technology coming with the AMD R9 3xx series.

Your 620 watt power supply is good enough for anything that isn't a 295X or Titan type graphics card. You can run the 290/290X/970/980 just fine.

RGM79

Okay, thanks for the info.

So after taking everything into consideration, this is the build I've come up with:

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($349.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1169.52
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-26 14:06 EST-0500

It seems to be powerful enough to play games at 1080p60 for a little while, while still being affordable enough for him to get a good monitor and stay under budget.

Are there any obvious changes that I need to make to this setup before he starts buying the parts for it? Is it a decently future-proof build? Should I stop worrying so much about this? =P

EDIT: In not 100% sure on this Motherboard. It doesn't seem to have the greatest reviews...

TheLlama answered your questions well, but just to add, your changes are fine. The Enthoo Pro is one of the best cases you can get. Switching to Gigabyte is fine, just make sure it's the G1 Gaming edition, not the regular Windforce model.

If you're looking for motherboard alternatives at the same price range, then there's the MSI Z97S SLI Plus. Unfortunately, there's no one motherboard model that will be entirely defect free, due to manufacturing tolerances and varying factors like that. For something that's a bit better proven, Gigabyte makes "black editions" of certain motherboards, and they come with manufacturer's guarantees that the motherboard has undergone a week's worth of server style load testing. That doesn't mean it can't break down after you receive it, but it's a more reliable buy, I guess. The Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK is $129.

Future proof is a hard thing to do unless you buy the latest and greatest. This computer should tide him over for the next 3 years at the very least.

There are a few changes I'd make.

Motherboard: ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($83.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($66.60 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($269.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.90 @ Directron)
Power Supply: Antec TruePower Classic 650W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $840.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-26 18:18 EST-0500

I highly recommend getting a cooler even if there are no plans to overclock. The stock Intel cooler gets hot and loud easily.

You can save a little money with the ASRock motherboard instead. Not much change in terms of functionality.

I highly recommend 1866MHz or faster RAM, especially if it only costs $2 more than the 1600MHz RAM you selected.

I've stopped recommending Seagate. WD, Hitachi/HGST, or Toshiba are better brands for just a few dollars more, $1 extra for WD in this case.

The Gigabyte R9 290 is cheaper and the cooler it comes with is larger and more effective at cooling the graphics cardl.

I like the NZXT Source 210 Elite as a budget case, but if you prefer the 200R, I understand.

You probably won't need a DVD drive seeing as how everything is distributed digitally nowadays.

Windows 7/8.1 can be bought from reddit's microsoftsoftwareswap for $20 or less. These are legitimate keys that are resold from educational programs like Technet or Dreamspark. However, you are dealing with a person instead of a retailer, and informal Windows keys sales are breaking some EULA to be clear, but it's not illegal. Once you have the key, you can get official Windows installers easily.

Ashhong

Hi guys, please excuse the cross post..need some ideas..

I moved my fairly new custom PC to another room yesterday and after I set it up my second monitor began to flicker intermittently. Not like on and off, but this horizontal gray bar would flicker on and off the screen. I never had this issue before. Any ideas?

Checked cables and all was connected fine. Google search said it was because of Overdrive, but that's not even on and again, didn't have this issue 12 hours before..

I have 2xDell u2415 and a MSI r9 270

Azzurri

Gold Member
Gigabyte X99mATX gaming 5 Mobo
Intel i7 5820k 2011-v3
16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 Ram
eVGA GTX 980 SC VC(Blower style)
Corsair Carbide Air 240 Case
Corsair H80i cooler
3TB WD Black HDD
Crucial MX100 512GB
eVGA 1000G2 SuperNova (Bought it for 70)

ACE 1991

Your 620 watt power supply is good enough for anything that isn't a 295X or Titan type graphics card. You can run the 290/290X/970/980 just fine.

Thanks! Do you have any input on whether or not it would be worth it to wait for the new series?

RGM79

Hi guys, please excuse the cross post..need some ideas..

I moved my fairly new custom PC to another room yesterday and after I set it up my second monitor began to flicker intermittently. Not like on and off, but this horizontal gray bar would flicker on and off the screen. I never had this issue before. Any ideas?

Checked cables and all was connected fine. Google search said it was because of Overdrive, but that's not even on and again, didn't have this issue 12 hours before..

I have 2xDell u2415 and a MSI r9 270

Normally I'd say it'd be the cables or connection.. but I guess it's not that. What GPU clock is your R9 270 at? Some AMD and Radeon cards have issues with secondary monitors flickering due to idle GPU clock speed being too low, in which case upping the GPU clock by 100MHz could fix it.

My old Radeon 5850 used to have a bit of graphical glitches only on the second monitor, cranking up the clock speed slightly did the job.

Can anyone recommend me a new wireless adapter? The one I was originally going to buy is sold out everywhere.

And this is the motherboard I'll be using.

I'm cool with using a USB adapter if I need to.

I prefer to recommend PCI-E whenever possible, especially if they have wired antenna. Looks like the next most comparable PCI-E wifi adaptor in terms of features is an Intel model for $50.

What router do you have? Maybe you can save money by getting a wireless N model wifi adaptor instead.

Gigabyte X99mATX gaming 5 Mobo
Intel i7 5820k 2011-v3
16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 Ram
eVGA GTX 980 SC VC(Blower style)
Corsair Carbide Air 240 Case
Corsair H80i cooler
3TB WD Black HDD
Crucial MX100 512GB
eVGA 1000G2 SuperNova (Bought it for 70)

Looks like a solid set of parts. Still, I have a few questions. Why the blower style GTX 980? Those tend to be louder and may not cool as well, even if they expel all the hot air out of the case.

Getting WD Blue or Toshiba or Hitachi would have been cheaper than WD Black. Nothing wrong with WD Black performance-wise, but if you're not using it for the OS, it's expensive and you might as well just stick to much cheaper 7200RPM 64MB cache hard drives.

Thanks! Do you have any input on whether or not it would be worth it to wait for the new series?

Unless your graphics card is broken or you have an overwhelming urge to upgrade, I think the R9 3xx series is worth waiting for, especially HBM.

Who knows, maybe the release of the R9 3xx series will drive down the costs of the existing R9 290/290X.

Fracas

#fuckonami
What router do you have? Maybe you can save money by getting a wireless N model wifi adaptor instead.

I'm in a dorm ;__;

I'll go with the intel, I guess.

Serves me right for waiting, haha

edit: Wait, are there any good ones without bluetooth? I don't really need it, like at all.

rmt92

There are a few changes I'd make.

*changes*

I highly recommend getting a cooler even if there are no plans to overclock. The stock Intel cooler gets hot and loud easily.

You can save a little money with the ASRock motherboard instead. Not much change in terms of functionality.

I highly recommend 1866MHz or faster RAM, especially if it only costs $2 more than the 1600MHz RAM you selected.

I've stopped recommending Seagate. WD, Hitachi/HGST, or Toshiba are better brands for just a few dollars more, $1 extra for WD in this case.

The Gigabyte R9 290 is cheaper and the cooler it comes with is larger and more effective at cooling the graphics cardl.

I like the NZXT Source 210 Elite as a budget case, but if you prefer the 200R, I understand.

You probably won't need a DVD drive seeing as how everything is distributed digitally nowadays.

Windows 7/8.1 can be bought from reddit's microsoftsoftwareswap for $20 or less. These are legitimate keys that are resold from educational programs like Technet or Dreamspark. However, you are dealing with a person instead of a retailer, and informal Windows keys sales are breaking some EULA to be clear, but it's not illegal. Once you have the key, you can get official Windows installers easily.

I made many of the changes you suggested. Also, after you, TheLlama, and a friend suggesting it.. I decided to drop the optical drive. I very much appreciated the reddit link.

A question about the cooler, is that something I can add later? I realize it's only ~$30, but it would help just a bit If I could hold off on it.

As for the case, I actually like the case you suggested, but I like the Corsair 200R just a bit more. The one you suggested is considerably cheaper though, and that fits in with my trying to cut costs. I'll probably do some thinking on that.

I really appreciate your help, and TheLlama's.

RGM79

I'm in a dorm ;__;

I'll go with the intel, I guess.

Serves me right for waiting, haha

edit: Wait, are there any good ones without bluetooth? I don't really need it, like at all.

There's a cheaper model Intel wireless N wifi adaptor for $38 without bluetooth or wireless AC, but it still has a external wired antenna for better reception than a small plastic covered or internal antenna. SuperBiiz is out of stock while Directron isn't clear.

I'm guessing most dorms still have wireless N instead of the newer and faster wireless AC that isn't as good at getting signal through walls.

I made many of the changes you suggested. Also, after you, TheLlama, and a friend suggesting it.. I decided to drop the optical drive. I very much appreciated the reddit link.

A question about the cooler, is that something I can add later? I realize it's only ~$30, but it would help just a bit If I could hold off on it.

As for the case, I actually like the case you suggested, but I like the Corsair 200R just a bit more. The one you suggested is considerably cheaper though, and that fits in with my trying to cut costs. I'll probably do some thinking on that.

I really appreciate your help, and TheLlama's.

Yes, you can definitely hold off on the cooler for now, the stock cooler will still be fine if you're on a budget, just louder and warmer.

Fracas

#fuckonami
There's a cheaper model Intel wireless N wifi adaptor for $38 without bluetooth or wireless AC, but it still has a external wired antenna for better reception than a small plastic covered or internal antenna. SuperBiiz is out of stock while Directron isn't clear.

I'm guessing most dorms still have wireless N instead of the newer and faster wireless AC that isn't as good at getting signal through walls.
Sounds good, thanks dude!

I just bought $1300 in PC parts dear lord

Wasn't sure where else to post this, I got back a new GTX 970 after sending the old in for RMA. I put it in, updated drivers to newest(347.25), it's fine all day, played Dark Souls 2 for about 2 hours and then my system hitched, black screen, then automatically restarted. Now the previous card I had to RMA would lock up my computer and required a hard shutdown to get going again. But this even gave me a minidump and everything which is huge progress. I'm wondering if the newest nvidia drivers appear to be stable or not, have any of you experienced blue screens/similar behavior on these drivers? I'm going to try rolling back to the drivers that came on the disc and see if it crashes again in the meantime.

RGM79

I'm probably going to get a second so I figured less heat in a smaller case

The Corsair Air 540 is supposed to be great for airflow, but fair enough, that's a good reason. Looking at the motherboard, make sure you space out the GTX 980s by moving the second to a lower slot. It'll leave room for the fan to take in air.

Wasn't sure where else to post this, I got back a new GTX 970 after sending the old in for RMA. I put it in, updated drivers to newest(347.25), it's fine all day, played Dark Souls 2 for about 2 hours and then my system hitched, black screen, then automatically restarted. Now the previous card I had to RMA would lock up my computer and required a hard shutdown to get going again. But this even gave me a minidump and everything which is huge progress. I'm wondering if the newest nvidia drivers appear to be stable or not, have any of you experienced blue screens/similar behavior on these drivers? I'm going to try rolling back to the drivers that came on the disc and see if it crashes again in the meantime.

Use BlueScreenView to check the minidump, if you haven't already. What are your system specs?

Azzurri

Gold Member
The Corsair Air 540 is supposed to be great for airflow, but fair enough, that's a good reason. Looking at the motherboard, make sure you space out the GTX 980s by moving the second to a lower slot. It'll leave room for the fan to take in air.

Use BlueScreenView to check the minidump, if you haven't already. What are your system specs?

It's the 240, so it's a bit smaller, but thanks for the tip about SLI.

thespot84

I added split washers to my h100i backplate and redid my thermal compound with the arctic silver 5 deal and went from throttling at stock during battlefield to stable at 4.3ghz/1.219v and i don't break 45c while playing. what a difference (4770k)

Pollux

Ok, I need a little help and advice on a build I'm looking at.

I'm probably only really going to be gaming in 1080p. The games I'll mainly be playing are EUIV, Crusader Kings, Total War series, Sims, Sim City, COH2, and other mainly PC exclusives. I have an Xbox One, but depending on how this build goes, and how it handles AAA multiplats compared to the XB1 I'll probably end up using the PC as my primary platform.

Here's the list:

Memory: Team Zeus Red 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($68.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M550 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($83.49 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($264.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($67.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $916.37

I was originally leaning towards the GTX 970 but with the recent issues with that GPU I substituted the R9 290 instead since it costs less and has a better performance/dollar (IMO) than the 970. In about 2-3 years I'll plan on upgrading to the then equivalent 980 or w/e the card is in 2017-2018.

OK - so give me your advice PC building GAF.

The Llama

I'm probably only really going to be gaming in 1080p. The games I'll mainly be playing are EUIV, Crusader Kings, Total War series, Sims, Sim City, COH2, and other mainly PC exclusives. I have an Xbox One, but depending on how this build goes, and how it handles AAA multiplats compared to the XB1 I'll probably end up using the PC as my primary platform.

Here's the list:

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($264.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Amazon)

I was originally leaning towards the GTX 970 but with the recent issues with that GPU I substituted the R9 290 instead since it costs less and has a better performance/dollar (IMO) than the 970. In about 2-3 years I'll plan on upgrading to the then equivalent 980 or w/e the card is in 2017-2018.

I'll tell you right now, all the multiplatform games that the XB1 plays at 900p30, you'll be able to do 1080p60, no problem.

Pollux

I'll tell you right now, all the multiplatform games that the XB1 plays at 900p30, you'll be able to do 1080p60, no problem.

Ha, good to know. But overall is this a solid starter build? Honestly, it's the first PC i'll have ever built. I'm nervous about getting everything put together and not fucking it up. And the whole deal with drivers and all that - I'm still trying to figure all that out.

All the parts up there are good to go, no conflicts, etc.?

TheLlama answered your questions well, but just to add, your changes are fine. The Enthoo Pro is one of the best cases you can get. Switching to Gigabyte is fine, just make sure it's the G1 Gaming edition, not the regular Windforce model.

If you're looking for motherboard alternatives at the same price range, then there's the MSI Z97S SLI Plus. Unfortunately, there's no one motherboard model that will be entirely defect free, due to manufacturing tolerances and varying factors like that. For something that's a bit better proven, Gigabyte makes "black editions" of certain motherboards, and they come with manufacturer's guarantees that the motherboard has undergone a week's worth of server style load testing. That doesn't mean it can't break down after you receive it, but it's a more reliable buy, I guess. The Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK is $129.

Future proof is a hard thing to do unless you buy the latest and greatest. This computer should tide him over for the next 3 years at the very least.
Thanks man. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out like this.

I went ahead and changed the motherboard to that Gigabyte UD3H-BK. It seems to get good reviews, and the testing procedure seems pretty great as well. Thanks for the recommendation.

I think that's basically everything. I shouldn't need to purchase any network adapters, extra fans, or anything like that, should I? And all wiring comes with the components, correct?

Ha, good to know. But overall is this a solid starter build? Honestly, it's the first PC i'll have ever built. I'm nervous about getting everything put together and not fucking it up. And the whole deal with drivers and all that - I'm still trying to figure all that out.

All the parts up there are good to go, no conflicts, etc.?

Best thing to do is to download all the latest motherboard drivers using your current pc onto a flash drive, pop it into your new pc once the os is installed.

For first time builders I recommend using one of the tutorial vids in post #2 of this thread, just follow along with what they do.

Parts look good to me.

RGM79

Here's the list:

I'd change a few things, some to save money, others for better parts.

The SSD and Gigabyte R9 290 I chose are better. If you're interested in a white NZXT case instead, I recommend the NZXT Source 210 Elite, it's only about $40 which makes it $10-20 cheaper than the S340 and comes in white or black. If you don't mind a non-modular power supply, there's the Antec TruePower Classic 650 watt gold rated PSU which is actually made by Seasonic. If you won't be running SLI, you can get a cheaper motherboard like the ASRock I selected.

I managed to make it cheaper while including a heatsink that will let you do moderate overclocking and be quieter and cooler than the stock Intel cooler.

Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($96.48 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Blue 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($67.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($269.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($51.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Antec TruePower Classic 650W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $895.08
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-27 00:04 EST-0500

Thanks man. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out like this.

I went ahead and changed the motherboard to that Gigabyte UD3H-BK. It seems to get good reviews, and the testing procedure seems pretty great as well. Thanks for the recommendation.

I think that's basically everything. I shouldn't need to purchase any network adapters, extra fans, or anything like that, should I? And all wiring comes with the components, correct?

All the wires and cords you need should be included. Motherboard has onboard ethernet and comes with SATA cables. Case comes with non-removable cables for switches and USB ports. Power supply comes with power cable. You could get extra fans if you like for more airflow, but that's optional, you can always add extra fans later if you find temperatures to be a bit high. If you need wifi connectivity, you can add that later too.

Tabasco

A weird thing happened today with my PC.

When I booted it up, it would give me a Windows error screen saying that it was missing a required file to start up.

I tried going through the different solutions to fix the problem, and what ended up saving me was a system restore to a previous point in time.

I don't know how I had one of those, but I did. It sent me back to my PC's status to around the end of last week.

I don't know what caused my PC to end up this way. I was thinking it was the SSD update, since that was the only thing I ever did to change up my PC recently. When I tried to do the same update again, it says it already has that version.

I'm not sure what to make of this. The problem with it now was the same as before, constant crashes in my games.

For example, L4D2 just crashes randomly to the desktop with no error message.

If anybody has any ideas on what I can try for a diagnostic, I would appreciate the help.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
A weird thing happened today with my PC.

When I booted it up, it would give me a Windows error screen saying that it was missing a required file to start up.

I tried going through the different solutions to fix the problem, and what ended up saving me was a system restore to a previous point in time.

I don't know how I had one of those, but I did. It sent me back to my PC's status to around the end of last week.

I don't know what caused my PC to end up this way. I was thinking it was the SSD update, since that was the only thing I ever did to change up my PC recently. When I tried to do the same update again, it says it already has that version.

I'm not sure what to make of this. The problem with it now was the same as before, constant crashes in my games.

For example, L4D2 just crashes randomly to the desktop with no error message.

If anybody has any ideas on what I can try for a diagnostic, I would appreciate the help.
A system restore won't remove an SSD firmware update.
I'd run an sfc /scannow and a memtest86+ overnight.

My first suspensions with an HDD would be HDD incoming failure or a corrupted install due to memory, but on SSDs that is much rarer.

Crisium

i5-4690K
8GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz

Any comments?

If the other poster didn't dissuade you, I'll echo in voting hardly against the 960. It's a poorly performing card. If the 970 is too expensive, a 290 should be more attractive. This is still on sale:

http://m.ncix.com/products/sku/104017/1356

Barely slower than a 970 (~5% typically). It's also cleanly 40-50% faster than the 960 for only a bit more money. For Canada, this is the deal to get.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
If the other poster didn't dissuade you, I'll echo in voting hardly against the 960. It's a poorly performing card. If the 970 is too expensive, a 290 should be more attractive. This is still on sale:

http://m.ncix.com/products/sku/104017/1356

Barely slower than a 970 (~5% typically). It's also cleanly 40-50% faster than the 960 for only a bit more money. For Canada, this is the deal to get.
Yeah, I went with the Zotac GTX 970 AMP Omega after all. I really care about power consumption and therefore fan noise so this eliminates the R9 290. Didn't wanted any regrets when it comes to performance so I'm opening my wallet for the big guns. That's new territory for me. Better be worth the price of admission :)

Next up will be to upgrade my PSU, CPU cooler, case and mice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom