• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you recommend trying to fix it myself or send it back? I'm not sure if that would void the warranty.

It probably wouldn't void the warranty, but you should check before doing anything.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, then send it to Asus and have them do it.

You should probably post a screenshot of GPU-Z's "Sensors" tab just so we can see what the card's behavior is during load. Make sure you have fan speed and temp toggled to display the maximum, too.

Kntj

You should probably post a screenshot of GPU-Z's "Sensors" tab just so we can see what the card's behavior is during load. Make sure you have fan speed and temp toggled to display the maximum, too.

WsQ2RJs.gif

Tried this with FurMark. Didn't test for very long, maybe a minute? Looks like it starts downclocking at around 94C, probably explains why it stays around that temperature. Furmark actually showed the max temp as 96C. I can't imagine the airflow in my case is bad enough for this to happen and I even left the case open for this test.

The Llama

WsQ2RJs.gif

Tried this with FurMark. Didn't test for very long, maybe a minute? Looks like it starts downclocking at around 94C, probably explains why it stays around that temperature. Furmark actually showed the max temp as 96C. I can't imagine the airflow in my case is bad enough for this to happen and I even left the case open for this test.

Honestly, something may just be wrong with the cooler. I have a Sapphire 290x and after a minute of Furmark its ~68C, and I have the same core clock (slightly slower RAM speed, but that shouldn't make much of a difference). I think mine peaks around 78-80C after a while of heavy usage, but thats it. I have a case with really good airflow though (NZXT Phantom 630).

mkenyon

Banned
The Crossfired 290Xs would provide better performance than a single 980, especially with 4K resolutions**.
**assuming crossfire profiles are available, crossfire profiles are providing proper frame pacing, and crossfire profiles are functioning as intended.

If you have the desire, go for it, get it out of your system. Unless you're the type that loves tinkering to get things running right (and I mean that sincerely, there are lots of folks like that), you'll be back to a single card on your next purchase.

Contact ASUS, time for RMA unless you want to pull the cooler off yourself and try to remount it.

What case is this in, out of curiosity?

WsQ2RJs.gif

Yes, something seems off with the card. With that fanspeed it should be keeping it much cooler. RMA it.

Kntj

**assuming crossfire profiles are available, crossfire profiles are providing proper frame pacing, and crossfire profiles are functioning as intended.

If you have the desire, go for it, get it out of your system. Unless you're the type that loves tinkering to get things running right (and I mean that sincerely, there are lots of folks like that), you'll be back to a single card on your next purchase.

Contact ASUS, time for RMA unless you want to pull the cooler off yourself and try to remount it.

What case is this in, out of curiosity?

Bitfenix Shinobi. It's a pretty cheap case, but big enough at least.

Thanks everyone, I'll contact the site I bought it from.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, but the case only has a single anemic fan that it comes with. I missed your troubleshooting earlier, but have you tried stressing the card with the side of the case off?

*edit*

Also, contact ASUS directly, rather than the site. Unless the site does cross shipping or something like Amazon.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/sys/4862282650.html

Is this desktop a good deal $2000? Or can I haggle down a few hundred bucks. This is from my friend.

How much is this desktop valued?

[ ] Asus maximus gene vii (MSRP $214.99)
[ ] Intel 4790k (MSRP $339.99)
[ ] Corsair vengeance pro 2400mhz 16gb (MSRP $189.99)
[ ] Corsair ax760w PSU (MSRP $149.99)
[ ] Corsair h100i liquid cooler (MSRP $94.99)
[ ] 1TB Samsung 840 evo (MSRP $437.50)
[ ] Gigbyte GTX 980 reference design (MSRP $549.99)
[ ] Windows 8.1 pro 64-bit (MSRP $139.99)
[ ] Aerocool dead silence MicroATX (red) (MSRP $121.71)
[ ] Asus PCE-AC68 AC1900 dual-band WiFi adapter (MSRP $96.99)
[ ] Asus 27" monitors VN279Q ultra wide view (This is an optional inclusion, and I have three that i am willing to sell) (MSRP $259.99)

My friend will offer this desktop for $1700, how is this price?

Hey GAF - I hate to do troubleshooting BS here, but looking to see if I can get some advice.

I swapped out my heatsink today. Immediately after swapping it out... my machine stopped booting. It starts up - LEDs, fans spin up, the graphics card fans and hard drives visibly/audibly spin up.. it gives me one beep, then dies. It spins out the fans for 2-3 seconds, then starts up again, and perpetually continues that loop until I yank the plug. I can't understand why; everything is as it was. I've checked for shorts and things and can't see any reason anything that's changed would cause one.

Any ideas? I've stripped out everything but the RAM and CPU just to try to get it to remain on for more than one beep, but the issue remains the same.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hey GAF - I hate to do troubleshooting BS here, but looking to see if I can get some advice.

I swapped out my heatsink today. Immediately after swapping it out... my machine stopped booting. It starts up - LEDs, fans spin up, the graphics card fans and hard drives visibly/audibly spin up.. it gives me one beep, then dies. It spins out the fans for 2-3 seconds, then starts up again, and perpetually continues that loop until I yank the plug. I can't understand why; everything is as it was. I've checked for shorts and things and can't see any reason anything that's changed would cause one.

Any ideas? I've stripped out everything but the RAM and CPU just to try to get it to remain on for more than one beep, but the issue remains the same.
Check mobo manual for beep codes, but I'd remount the CPU/HS first and make sure 4/8pin power is plugged in addition to the 24 pin power.

mkenyon

Banned

Is this desktop a good deal $2000? Or can I haggle down a few hundred bucks. This is from my friend.

[ ] Asus 27" monitors VN279Q ultra wide view (This is an optional inclusion, and I have three that i am willing to sell) (MSRP $259.99)
I'd skip the monitors, and just get the PC itself for $1600 or so. Those monitors aren't great for gaming.

Try remounting the heatsink. Definitely some kind of short going on.

mkenyon

Banned
If you don't like overclocking yourself, sure. It's basically 4.2GHz out of the box, compared to having to do it yourself. It'll also have a more consistent thermal profile due to changing the thermal interface material on Devil's Canyon.

I'm in a state where Sales Tax is 8%.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
A lot parts in there are bad value for $ and even parted out the stuff that matters (minus monitor) is looking at $1600.
Total packages are usually priced cheaper than parted out cost due to shipping and time savings so $1500 or less I'd say for a fair deal.

CBTech

So I'm looking into the GTX 970s. What brands are typically the best? My old graphics card was really loud, so I'm hoping to get a much quieter card this time.

Quick look around I see this Gigabyte G1 gaming card. One of the few with three fans. Not sure how much each fan will add/reduce noise. Also seems to have pretty good reviews. I think I also saw an "overclocked" version of this card available. On cards with the overclocking mentioned, is that saying it is pre-overclocked or that it is overclockable?

LilJoka

So I'm looking into the GTX 970s. What brands are typically the best? My old graphics card was really loud, so I'm hoping to get a much quieter card this time.

Quick look around I see this Gigabyte G1 gaming card. One of the few with three fans. Not sure how much each fan will add/reduce noise. Also seems to have pretty good reviews. I think I also saw an "overclocked" version of this card available. On cards with the overclocking mentioned, is that saying it is pre-overclocked or that it is overclockable?

Gigabyte G1 for overclocking potential but slightly louder since it has a higher minimum fan speed. Highest power limit.

Msi Gaming for decent overclock ~1500mhz core average, but very quiet and fans turn off below 60c.

The GTX 970s are overclockable through software like Msi afterburner. The voltage had some wiggle room but not necessarily useful until the bios is flashed and power limits raised.

mkenyon

Banned
A lot parts in there are bad value for $ and even parted out the stuff that matters (minus monitor) is looking at $1600.
Total packages are usually priced cheaper than parted out cost due to shipping and time savings so $1500 or less I'd say for a fair deal.
While I agree 100% with the price analysis, I'd also add that even though they're bad value, those parts are all very high quality. It's actually pretty damn close to the stuff that I pick for my own builds.

While I agree 100% with the price analysis, I'd also add that even though they're bad value, those parts are all very high quality. It's actually pretty damn close to the stuff that I pick for my own builds.

What is a fair price for this bad valued, but high quality build? Don't count the Windows OS.

Kntj

Yeah, but the case only has a single anemic fan that it comes with. I missed your troubleshooting earlier, but have you tried stressing the card with the side of the case off?

*edit*

Also, contact ASUS directly, rather than the site. Unless the site does cross shipping or something like Amazon.

I added two extra fans to it. I've tried testing with the sides on and off, but it doesn't make much difference and neither did trying different fan positions.

Thanks for the advice.

Quenk

I'm not sure if this is the right thread but I'm looking for some mouse recommendations. I'm currently using a Razer Abyssus and it fits my grip well but I'd like something with some extra buttons and of good quality.

Anustart

Anyone know how I can get windows onto a new drive? My copy came free from ms for through my school and I no longer have access.

Fracas

#fuckonami
How has Newegg shipping generally been for you guys?

I ordered parts yesterday afternoon around 4pm with 3 day shipping and rush processing. Everything's said it's still in packaging as of just now.

I was hoping to get everything by Thursday but I dunno. A guy at work's helping me build this thing and I wanted to bring over all the parts Friday morning.

LilJoka

Anyone know how I can get windows onto a new drive? My copy came free from ms for through my school and I no longer have access.

Use something like magic jellybean key finder to extract your windows key. You can find windows ISOs online, mydigitalife should have links of clean Isos.

mkenyon

Banned
Go to the store and check out the new Logi mice, as well as the Corsair (optical) ones, and the Deathadder. Whatever fits your grip the best would be a good choice.

I'd skip the monitors, and just get the PC itself for $1600 or so. Those monitors aren't great for gaming.

Try remounting the heatsink. Definitely some kind of short going on.

Cheers for this advice. Further question - messing about with it resulted in it giving me a good 15 seconds of continuous beeps before it powered off then back on - the motherboard documentation classifies this as a memory error - but then after that, it goes back to one beep then powering down. I feel like something might actually be dead at this point - but I'm unsure if it's the PSU, the RAM, or the board.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Cheers for this advice. Further question - messing about with it resulted in it giving me a good 15 seconds of continuous beeps before it powered off then back on - the motherboard documentation classifies this as a memory error - but then after that, it goes back to one beep then powering down. I feel like something might actually be dead at this point - but I'm unsure if it's the PSU, the RAM, or the board.
Run 1 stick of RAM in primary slot (check mobo guide)

You still didn't say if you remounted the CPU.

Run 1 stick of RAM in primary slot (check mobo guide)

You still didn't say if you remounted the CPU.

Ah, sorry -- Yeah, I remounted the CPU after the problem first occurred. I've remounted the heatsink too and such too, just in case something was causing a short somewhere - no difference. Result is the same with 1 stick of RAM in the primary slot - have tried with three different sticks. Thanks for the assistance..!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Remove everything excess plugged in, remove BIOS battery, unplug PSU, press power button (to drain charge), leave it alone for 5 min and try again.

If that doesn't work do it barebones outside of case. Shit sucks, sorry to hear.

bigf00t

I built a new PC a month or two ago, and for the most part it's working awesomely. There's something weird going on though, and hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction towards diagnosing and fixing it.

I've noticed that I'll be browsing the internet, and suddenly youtube videos won't load anymore. Sometimes my Shockwave will crash as well. At first I thought it was a browser issue, but it affects all the browsers I've tried the same way. The only way to fix it is to restart my machine. When I do restart, it hangs for about 2-3 min with the screen off, but the power led still on. I can hear the fans spinning as well. Eventually it will power off and restart, but normally it's restarts immediately, in less than 20 sec.

I've tried running a whole suite of Anti Spyware/Malware/Virus programs in safe mode, but they turn up nothing. The PC works great until this happens, and then no games or applications will launch either. They just freeze at a black screen during lanch.

I'm starting to think this is an issue with my SSD, as it seems to be having issues writing. I have a Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD and it's maybe 20% full. I've updated the firmware, and turned RAPID mode off, to no avail.

Anyone have any ideas where I should go from here?

Edit: Made a decision.

Saw your previous post, hope your decision was to keep the 970 because it seems to beat the 290x in many benchmarks, and keep higher frames more consistently from other Youtube comparisons I've watched.

Also, see you at the game tomorrow, brah.

leonardo_dicaprio_laughing_wolf_of_wall_street_19tlonv-19tloo5.jpg

NoRéN

But you could just OC a 4770K to that speed

Can you really? What would I need for a good OC? an H80i good enough? Hell, I would be more than happy with 4.0ghz if it meant a longer shelf life. Not to mention it would make it the best $175 I ever spend toward my gaming hobby.

Smokey

K, I'm back from the dead.

Ultrawide 120Hz IPS displays, 1440p 120Hz displays, freesync, and 970s having memory issues. That about covers the important stuff of the last 3 months, right?

My Tri-SLI Experience is over and as of last Saturday I am back to being a single card user

:(

;___;

:)

paskowitz

Is the i7 4790k worth the extra 30 bucks compared to the 4770k?

I paid $250 (gotta love Microcenter sales) for my 4790k so IDK. My 4790k goes to ~4.8Ghz with about 1.28v. 4.6Ghz with no voltage change. I don't think you will see a noticeable performance difference.

Smokey

I've heard of too many issues with multiple cards on both SLI and Crossfire. Short of winning the lotto, I'll always be the best single GPU card I can afford guy.

The triple GPU setup was something I just wanted to do. Now that I've been there I'll probably be content with two. I tend to lean towards SLI because of the various monitors and resolutions that I use. I didn't get to really take full advantage of my hardware. I badly needed a WC loop to keep the temps in check. I thought 3 cards + CPU might be a bit much for my first loop. Not to mention the $$$ it would cost.

But who knows for Titan X..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom