• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

So I might be in the market for a new CPU. Right now I got an i5 3450 and an ASRock Z77 board.

What would be a nice upgrade on a reasonable-ish (say 150-250€) budget?

Only thing worth trading to is a 3570K or a 3770K so you can OC them.

Raide

New PC here shortly. I wish I could trade all my old Windows discs for Windows 8.

Long process of Installing Vista and updating, then to use my Windows 8 Upgrade key and then upgrade to Windows 8.1.

I really wanted a nice fresh install of Windows 8.1 on the new SSD. I wonder If I can install Vista etc to the basic HDD and then do the upgrade to the SSD. Not sure if that's how it works hah.

New PC here shortly. I wish I could trade all my old Windows discs for Windows 8.

Long process of Installing Vista and updating, then to use my Windows 8 Upgrade key and then upgrade to Windows 8.1.

I really wanted a nice fresh install of Windows 8.1 on the new SSD. I wonder If I can install Vista etc to the basic HDD and then do the upgrade to the SSD. Not sure if that's how it works hah.

I just got a cheap OEM version of Windows 7 for my build, then hopefully I can upgrade to Windows 10 for free when that arrives later in the year.

RGM79

So I might be in the market for a new CPU. Right now I got an i5 3450 and an ASRock Z77 board.

What would be a nice upgrade on a reasonable-ish (say 150-250€) budget?
A brand new current or later generation CPU will also need a new motherboard to support it. You will have to look for used i5 and i7 "K" model processors. As kharma45 said, the 3570K or the 3770K are your best bet.

You could have definitely cut out some of the work. You don't need to already have an OS installed to update to Windows 8. Even if your copy of Windows 8 is labelled "upgrade", you can perform a clean fresh installation.

I might be wrong, but you can probably use your Windows 8 upgrade key with a full Windows 8 installer ISO anyway, meaning you can also bypass the method above and just install normally.

There's also this guide which allows you to do a clean install of 8.1 with a Windows 8 key.

Raide

A brand new current or later generation CPU will also need a new motherboard to support it. You will have to look for used i5 and i7 "K" model processors. As kharma45 said, the 3570K or the 3770K are your best bet.

You could have definitely cut out some of the work. You don't need to already have an OS installed to update to Windows 8. Even if your copy of Windows 8 is labelled "upgrade", you can perform a clean fresh installation.

I might be wrong, but you can probably use your Windows 8 upgrade key with a full Windows 8 installer ISO anyway, meaning you can also bypass the method above and just install normally.

There's also this guide which allows you to do a clean install of 8.1 with a Windows 8 key.

Huh interesting. That would cut out loads of time. Might try this media create thingy. Good job I purchased a new USB stick earlier .:D

I think you can nowadays use your Windows 8 upgrade key for the installation of Windows 8.1 as long as it is the same version. I did it too, although first I made the mistake of using the installation of the N version.

Raide

I think you can nowadays use your Windows 8 upgrade key for the installation of Windows 8.1 as long as it is the same version. I did it too, although first I made the mistake of using the installation of the N version.

So it has to be the 64bit version if I have a 64bit upgrade?

It would certainly save a ld of tim not having to upgrade old ass instals and having to do multiple updates before I even get to where I want.

I have never heard of this Media Create thing, so it will be interesting to see how it works.

Dynoro

Yeah, x99 MOBOs already have a backplate installed. HSF solutions typically make use of it so you don't really need another.

Don't worry, it does support your socket. You can't even replace the backplate on 2011 as it is built into the motherboard.

Turns out I was totally wrong and mistaken, should have done the research. I've made a very stupid mistake in saying that. Disregard my "advice".

Guys, thanks for your help confirming this - I was going a bit mad trying to figure out how I could have set it up another way :)

All running nicely now - CPU runs at about 40-45C under load so I'm very happy so far.

So there's a deal on an XFX R9 290 through Newegg for the same price as a GTX 960. Can someone break down the pros and cons between the two? I'm upgrading from a GTX 660. Do they deliver similar performances or is there one that blows the other out of the water? I feel like I've gotten caught up in the hype of the power consumption vs performance thing when it comes to the GTX card, so I'd like some opinions on which might be better.

So there's a deal on an XFX R9 290 through Newegg for the same price as a GTX 960. Can someone break down the pros and cons between the two? I'm upgrading from a GTX 660. Do they deliver similar performances or is there one that blows the other out of the water? I feel like I've gotten caught up in the hype of the power consumption vs performance thing when it comes to the GTX card, so I'd like some opinions on which might be better.

the R9 290 is 50 - 60% faster than the GTX 960, and consumes twice as much power.

the R9 290 is a GTX 970 equivalent at a massively lower price, go for it :D.

kennah

I used a Noctua 120mm fan in an older build and they worked just fine. Would recommend the brand.

They are ugly though, of it you have a window and like to look at your fans, might look elsewhere.
And by ugly you mean beautiful.

Kinda random but WTB any socket 1155 i5 or i7 for cheap (non K)

$220 seems so cheap for an R9 290. I don't have any experience with XFX though, Sapphire is usually my go-to for AMD cards (EVGA for Nvidia).

Doesn't seem to be a huge difference between the 290 and 290x in game performance, most benchmarks are like 2-3 fps difference.

Anyone else have any thoughts on it?

Raide

Well, the install worked really nice on the SSD. Only issue I have it having to de-authorize my older PC and put it on the new one. Biggest issue seems to be the key is for an Win 8 Pro Upgrade, which does not seem to be seen by the new system, since it is viewed as a fresh Win 8 Pro install.

Flandy

Just explain that you had to replace the motherboard because the old one was defective. Be sure to emphasize that this is the same PC you already activated Windows on before, just with a new replacement motherboard of the exact same model as the old one.

If they say again that there is a block on the key, then you may just be out of luck. Ask them why it's blocked if it is blocked. I don't know why there would be a block on your key in the first place. Simply changing the motherboard would not result in a block with no explanation, especially if you had Windows successfully activated just a short time ago. Hopefully you didn't purchase a bad key, but the fact that you were able to activate it once seems to say that it should be fine.

You two have similar problems, so I'll reply to both at once.

Could be failing fans.

@Flandy:
VGA fans are probably controlled by voltage - the fact that it spins up when starting up the PC then slows down is normal - all voltage controlled fans do this to a degree, because some voltage-controlled fans don't start spinning if a low voltage is applied from the start. You may notice this in the form of a short but loud fan noise whenever you start your PC, that is the motherboard applying a high voltage to get the fans up and running then switching to a lower voltage to run at the needed speed.

@both:
There are a few things you can do about a failing fan. The cheapest solution would be to replace the fan itself - you could try to find a generic replacement fan from Amazon or ebay, like OpticalMace recommended on the last page. You will need to figure out certain details for yourself like what fan speed and size you need, as well as whether the fan plug is the same or not. Yes, this is a DIY solution that requires a bit of hands on know-how. Here's some Sapphire 7950 fans at ebay.com to compare - I wouldn't pay $20, it'd be better to find cheaper generic fans.

Another option would be to completely replace the current VGA cooler with another one. This costs more than just getting a replacement fan but nowhere near as much as a new graphics card, expect to spend somewhere around $25-50. VGA fans are not really meant to be replaced, so in some ways replacing the entire cooler is less tricky and easier. However, you still want to be very careful when prying off the old cooler and installing the new one, of course. Same principle as replacing a CPU cooler, just not as user friendly or standardized. Arctic and Gelid Solutions make third party VGA coolers, you will need to check compatibility and fit to be sure. Newegg has a listing for replacement VGA fans and coolers. As for specific replacement VGA cooler models to recommend...

@SneakyStephan:
This ARCTIC Accelero Mono Plus would seem to be compatible. A bit small, but cheap at $30. If you're worried that it's not as capable, then there is this larger Gelid Icy Vision 2 model for $54. I'm not familiar with any of Arctic's replacement VGA coolers, but I do have the Gelid model myself on an old Radeon 5850, and I like it very much.

@Flandy:
Unfortunately, compatibility with the 7950 seems to be more difficult. Many replacement VGA cooler models don't state compatibility with the 7950, but they appear to be referring to reference 7950 graphics cards. If yours isn't a reference model, it could be possible to narrow down a cheaper compatible cooler. I will need some more details - like a definite model number or something.. You can see here that Sapphire have had many different models of the 7950, all different in some way... so yeah, that's why compatibility is hard to determine, they can't simply say that all aftermarket coolers would be compatible. There is this cooler that is stated to be compatible with the 7950, but it's quite expensive at $100.

What's the fastest way to check which model I have? I don't have the box.

ACE 1991

$220 seems so cheap for an R9 290. I don't have any experience with XFX though, Sapphire is usually my go-to for AMD cards (EVGA for Nvidia).

Doesn't seem to be a huge difference between the 290 and 290x in game performance, most benchmarks are like 2-3 fps difference.

Anyone else have any thoughts on it?

Is the difference in power really that insignificant?

Is the difference in power really that insignificant?

I quickly looked an benchmarks on Toms Hardware and Anandtech, and it looks like a 290x nets an extra 2-3 frames in most games, with a few showing as large as a 5 fps difference.

The 290 seems to draw a bit more energy as well.

Other than that I don't see a huge difference, although someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

I am almost set on pulling the trigger on a GTX 970 (despite the vram issue, I'll be at 1080p for a long while yet), but that price for an R9 290 is pretty intriguing.

mkenyon

Banned
Use TechReport and PCPer for benchmarks. Tom's is total junk, and Anandtech has fallen by the wayside (as well as being directly funded by AMD). Once Anand left, most of their credibility started to slip away. Their benchmarks are lazy and inconsistent.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Starting to order parts for my Haswell-E build. So far....

760t White Case (Need that push/pull)
G1 970x2
EVGA Supernova 1300w Gold
H110i GT

Anyone selling a 256gb SSD? New preferred.

So it has to be the 64bit version if I have a 64bit upgrade?

It would certainly save a ld of tim not having to upgrade old ass instals and having to do multiple updates before I even get to where I want.

I have never heard of this Media Create thing, so it will be interesting to see how it works.

Yeah, and it needs to be the pro version if you have pro.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Quick question:

How much would an FX-6350 @ 5GHZ bottleneck a GTX980?
Enough to be noticeable (but only if compared to an OC Intel) if you are using games that push your 980 since they tend to be pretty weighty on CPU now. Upgrading from whatever GPU you have to a 980 now though is probably a best value choice so don't sweat it too much.
My PC is definitely not stable.

I have a feeling the source of all the problems is either the RAM or the motherboard. I can either take a guess and order new RAM and turn out to be wrong, or I can just get a new motherboard and basically start fresh that way.

What do you have to do if you want to change motherboards, though? Do you have to do a fresh install of the OS?
Did you run memtest 86+ yet?

You can keep the same install, but you might need to reactivate. Keep in mind some hardware might have mucked up your initial installation if that is at fault. Post up what you've done to troubleshoot and what your problems are in one post, also PM me so I don't miss it.

You two have similar problems, so I'll reply to both at once.

Could be failing fans.

@both:
There are a few things you can do about a failing fan. The cheapest solution would be to replace the fan itself - you could try to find a generic replacement fan from Amazon or ebay, like OpticalMace recommended on the last page. You will need to figure out certain details for yourself like what fan speed and size you need, as well as whether the fan plug is the same or not. Yes, this is a DIY solution that requires a bit of hands on know-how. Here's some Sapphire 7950 fans at ebay.com to compare - I wouldn't pay $20, it'd be better to find cheaper generic fans.

Another option would be to completely replace the current VGA cooler with another one. This costs more than just getting a replacement fan but nowhere near as much as a new graphics card, expect to spend somewhere around $25-50. VGA fans are not really meant to be replaced, so in some ways replacing the entire cooler is less tricky and easier. However, you still want to be very careful when prying off the old cooler and installing the new one, of course. Same principle as replacing a CPU cooler, just not as user friendly or standardized. Arctic and Gelid Solutions make third party VGA coolers, you will need to check compatibility and fit to be sure. Newegg has a listing for replacement VGA fans and coolers. As for specific replacement VGA cooler models to recommend...

@SneakyStephan:
This ARCTIC Accelero Mono Plus would seem to be compatible. A bit small, but cheap at $30. If you're worried that it's not as capable, then there is this larger Gelid Icy Vision 2 model for $54. I'm not familiar with any of Arctic's replacement VGA coolers, but I do have the Gelid model myself on an old Radeon 5850, and I like it very much.

[/URL]

Thanks for the advice.
Maybe I'll look into the arctic accelero mono +
I remember reading a bunch of reviews about that cooler and it's supposed to be amazing (significantly cooler and quieter than the windforce coolers that you get on many gpus)
Only if I were able to reuse it on a new gpu when I buy one though , I don't intend to keep this cpu+gpu for much longer (a year or so, waiting for skylake and amd 380 cards to see what happens to prices) and having a great aftermarket cooler ready for a new gpu would make it worth spending now.

It's also fairly short (it's not a small cooler btw, it's big, just square:p), my case can't fit the longer windforce 3 coolers for example so it would make buying a new gpu easier.

There's no way to know if it'll be compatible with a new gpu though (it's apparently compatible with a ton of gpus atm)

A lot of it is pointless extras, stuff you don't even want. The only things I'd get are Intel Rapid Start Technology, On/Off Charge, and Live Update, most of which require the main APP Center utility.
Thanks, figured most of it was junk.
F.E.A.R. 3? The HD4600 is a good improvement over older integrated graphics, but it's not that special.
The first one. However, I found out that the driver I downloaded was extremely out of date. Need to test it with the updated driver.

RGM79

What's the fastest way to check which model I have? I don't have the box.

GPU-Z? Well, that actually might not give the model number, just technical specs.. On the graphics card itself there may be a sticker or a printed model number, that's the best way to tell.

Thanks for the advice.
Maybe I'll look into the arctic accelero mono +
I remember reading a bunch of reviews about that cooler and it's supposed to be amazing (significantly cooler and quieter than the windforce coolers that you get on many gpus)
Only if I were able to reuse it on a new gpu when I buy one though , I don't intend to keep this cpu+gpu for much longer (a year or so, waiting for skylake and amd 380 cards to see what happens to prices) and having a great aftermarket cooler ready for a new gpu would make it worth spending now.

It's also fairly short (it's not a small cooler btw, it's big, just square:p), my case can't fit the longer windforce 3 coolers for example so it would make buying a new gpu easier.

There's no way to know if it'll be compatible with a new gpu though (it's apparently compatible with a ton of gpus atm)

What case do you have? If you were to buy a new GPU, it should be simple enough to find a new one that fits as opposed to just moving over the cooler as well. Replacing the cooler on a brand new graphics card might also void warranty, that will vary by the graphics card manufacturer, though.

the 750w minimum is a myth honestly, a typical i7 system with a pair of hard drives and an optical drive as well as an R9 290 draws about 460 watts, any 550w+ power supply is just fine for any single gpu card on the market today.

Sadly I'm still at 500 with a CM 500M, and I can't really justify buying a new PSU to myself when I built this system about a year ago.

Grinchy

Banned
I got my case in the mail today (Corsair 200R) and I heard something rattling around when I was opening it up. It's the bottom right latch from the front panel. Fucking Amazon/USPS!

broken81brb.jpg

It doesn't seem to affect much of anything so I don't feel like going through the return process over it, but it's really annoying.

mkenyon

Banned
Dang, would be fine on a nice Seasonic or Flextronics unit, but you're right, I wouldn't trust an OC'd proc and a 290 on that CM 500.
Starting to order parts for my Haswell-E build. So far....

760t White Case (Need that push/pull)
G1 970x2
EVGA Supernova 1300w Gold
H110i GT

Anyone selling a 256gb SSD? New preferred.
Nice foundation! Already sell off your X79 stuff?

Newegg has the MX100 500GB for $180 right now.

H4r4kiri

Hey guys.
So I got my PC and installed another HDD. Then I installed Win 8.1 N and installed everything i needed. I did every Windows Update and so on. My system and programs is on the SSD :C drive and my Games and Pics, Vids on Downloads on the HDD :E drive.
I hope I did everything correctly.

I just have one problem. Connecting my Xperia Z. Win detects a MTP Connection and that it is a Xperia Z, but it does not show up on "my system" Furthmore I can't show folders etc. It is just in the System Manager. I tried to install the Companion app via the Phone to the PC, but I always get the following error code:
0x80070307
I can't get the MTP support to run :(

I have my Windows activated. So what is the problem ?

Kayant

Hey guys.
So I got my PC and installed another HDD. Then I installed Win 8.1 N and installed everything i needed. I did every Windows Update and so on. My system and programs is on the SSD :C drive and my Games and Pics, Vids on Downloads on the HDD :E drive.

I just have one problem. Connecting my Xperia Z. Win detects a MTP Connection and that it is a Xperia Z, but it does not show up on "my system" Furthmore I can't show folders etc. It is just in the System Manager. I tried to install the Companion app via the Phone to the PC, but I always get the following error code:
0x80070307

Did you install the phone drivers as well?

Sanjay

Microsoft have updated on their end so now they accept Windows 8 keys for Windows 8.1, even upgrade keys. Its great of Microsoft for doing this. Just get the latest image files from Microsoft's website.

H4r4kiri

Hey guys.

0x80070307

Did you install the phone drivers as well?

Hey guys thanks for the tips. I found the solution in a germanyblog. The N version does not support the MTP Connecting. I had to install the Media Package from the Microsoft page and now it works ! I searched for more than an hour for this :D

Kayant

Yeah, most phones require USB drivers for that kind of thing to work. A quick google pointed me here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2635830

But I'd do a little bit more research to avoid shady stuff.

I would say that is pretty safe ;).... The guys knows is stuff when it come to Xperia devices. That or the one from Sony should work.

Although this says the companion app will install them -http://developer.sonymobile.com/downloads/drivers/read-me-how-to-get-drivers-for-all-sony-smartphones/

@H4r4kiri

What verison of windows are you using? If it's the N verison by any chance then install the Windows N media player update and it should work fine had the same issue earlier getting it to work on the N verison of windows.

Edit -
Hey guys thanks for the tips. I found the solution in a germanyblog. The N version does not support the MTP Connecting. I had to install the Media Package from the Microsoft page and now it works ! I searched for more than an hour for this :D

ha I see you found the solution already :p

I can't get the front USB2 ports on my Phanteks Enthoo Pro working. The USB3 ones apparently work fine. I tried reseating the USB connector and even tried a different USB socket on my motherboard. It was working fine with my old case.

Any ideas?

For anyone living in the UK (Birmingham area), how good are Altech Computer Services? Been getting some BSOD's recently, so I'm thinking of getting the PC checked out. The place has good reviews from what I can see, but does anyone here have some experience with their service?

Grinchy

Banned

The only experience I have is buying a XFX HD4850. It was fine for a while and then started making an insanely loud noise that I never did quite pinpoint. I couldn't even really sell it because whoever bought it would be pissed. So I ended up having to buy another GPU. I had gotten it pretty cheap so it was not a huge loss but it does make me want to avoid XFX.

mkenyon

Banned
I can't get the front USB2 ports on my Phanteks Enthoo Pro working. The USB3 ones apparently work fine. I tried reseating the USB connector and even tried a different USB socket on my motherboard. It was working fine with my old case.

Any ideas?
Did you install the USB controller? Probably don't need to, but maybe just maybe.

So with my tax return, I'm looking to either replace my 4 year old harddrive, or my 4 year old CPU(They're both starting to get issues.)

Which one should I do first? I kinda wanna get an SSD. What's the uh, well my CPU is a Phenom II 4core. What would be a good replacement that isn't expensive?

mkenyon

Banned
So with my tax return, I'm looking to either replace my 4 year old harddrive, or my 4 year old CPU(They're both starting to get issues.)

Which one should I do first? I kinda wanna get an SSD. What's the uh, well my CPU is a Phenom II 4core. What would be a good replacement that isn't expensive?
If you do CPU, you're going to replace your motherboard and likely memory as well. Look at the OP to get an idea of the price ranges.

That will have a far more significant impact on game performance, but SSDs are amazing for everyday usage, and will be cheaper than replacing all that other stuff.

If you do CPU, you're going to replace your motherboard and likely memory as well. Look at the OP to get an idea of the price ranges.

That will have a far more significant impact on game performance, but SSDs are amazing for everyday usage, and will be cheaper than replacing all that other stuff.

Gah!? I don't wanna replace my motherboard...would I HAVE, HAVE to? I don't wanna dismantle my PC all over again......

......Luckily I've already replaced my RAM a while ago, to 8GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom